Thread: Fat Dillinger!!

Nuts

Fat Dillinger!!

And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Wow, give me four please!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Mmm. Suddenly my buying only 1 Dillinger this year seems like premonition! Next year I can move my current Dillinger to the back of my Pugsley, and throw a new 5" one onto my HRD front rim. That should do better in the snow than what I have now...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Any bets on the price? Number to beat is $170 for the studded snowshoe xL

mighty sailin' man
    can't wait for the claims of superior traction in snow
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    can't wait for the claims of superior traction in snow
    Love my regular Dillingers, I hope that they increase the stud count to account for the increased width on these new tires.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    Any bets on the price? Number to beat is $170 for the studded snowshoe xL
    A 3.8/4.0 studded Dillinger is something like $225.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    Love my regular Dillingers, I hope that they increase the stud count to account for the increased width on these new tires.
    But if the lugs are bigger, and the spaces are bigger, on the 5, vs the 4, wouldn't the stud count remain the same? How many more lugs/studs could they fit?

mighty sailin' man
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    no doubt you people in AK with the awesome crust rides I've seen want these but I'm thinking most places with snow either want float ~ or ~ skinny studded tires that cut down to the ice for grip. The float and ice traction together doesn't make sense here often.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    A faster rolling 4.7" tire? I'm sold!!!

turtles make me hot
    Man... I JUST finished my bike with Bud and Lou. I woulda got these if they were available.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My grip studded bud/ Lou (90 studs total) is superior as far as ice safety goes compared to my Dillingers. And I can just unscrew them when spring hits...

mtbr member
    no doubt you people in AK with the awesome crust rides I've seen want these but I'm thinking most places with snow either want float ~ or ~ skinny studded tires that cut down to the ice for grip. The float and ice traction together doesn't make sense here often.

Us people in Idaho like em too. When you ride rutted icy farm roads with occasional wind drifts to a snowy trail in the woods which has off camber icy spots in where the sun hits, its fun to not even worry about slipping on any of it.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    The float and ice traction together doesn't make sense here often.
    True that.

Still, good to have more choices!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Nuts
    Yeah I could care less about a studded version, I want big, fast, at a reasonable weight.
    And I love beer!!

Anchorage, AK
    Here is the competition's offering:

Snowshoe XL
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Yeah I could care less about a studded version, I want big, fast, at a reasonable weight.
    Same here. I have Bud and Lou for grip, I need another set as big but for better roll. I will mount up a faster set of tires on another set of rims. Just don't know what tires yet. I still want some grip but need better roll for smooth trais.

turtles make me hot
    I love my Bud and Lou but I just finished a ride on the beach. I can actually feel the knobs buzzing the sand. That's gotta be rolling resistance.
    My buddy with HuskerDus leaves me in the dust.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I love my Bud and Lou but I just finished a ride on the beach. I can actually feel the knobs buzzing the sand. That's gotta be rolling resistance.
    My buddy with HuskerDus leaves me in the dust.
    Yeah, most of our rides are on very rough rocky, gravely terrain so Nates and Bud/Lou are great for that but when we ride a milder place like the erie canal towpath, beaches, or some of the local rail trails we don't need all that aggressiveness.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, I commute all winter (and ride trails) on fat tires in AK, but there's really no reason not to have studs on the fat tires, except for when one is riding in the summer. There are plenty of times when you come upon overflow on a trail that has frozen solid (or even worse, has a layer of water on top). These situations are extremely slick and studs help immensely. We can sometimes walk-around, but sometimes we have to turn back without studs due to it being too dangerous. At other times we get rain and freezing rain that goes solid in a couple days, leaving all the commute paths relatively dangerous. I don't have a problem if I go slow and stay "centered", avoiding sharp turns, but again, studs would be helpful. My next tires will likely be dillingers or something similar.

The most prevalent use of skinny studded tires that I see here in AK is for commuting, after the snow has been cleared off the paths. They are worthless on many days where the snow has piled up on said paths.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Having Never been on a Dillenger, how is the dry/loose traction and how is the rolling resistance?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Well, I commute all winter (and ride trails) on fat tires in AK, but there's really no reason not to have studs on the fat tires, except for when one is riding in the summer. There are plenty of times when you come upon overflow on a trail that has frozen solid (or even worse, has a layer of water on top). These situations are extremely slick and studs help immensely. We can sometimes walk-around, but sometimes we have to turn back without studs due to it being too dangerous. At other times we get rain and freezing rain that goes solid in a couple days, leaving all the commute paths relatively dangerous. I don't have a problem if I go slow and stay "centered", avoiding sharp turns, but again, studs would be helpful. My next tires will likely be dillingers or something similar.

The most prevalent use of skinny studded tires that I see here in AK is for commuting, after the snow has been cleared off the paths. They are worthless on many days where the snow has piled up on said paths.
    I try to ride from my house most days, and the bike path here is ice flow, death, that studd front has saved me several times when the rear tire spins out. Without the studs, I doubt I would ride to the trailhead, and instead drive like so many of my riding friends. Studs extend my ride, and keep the truck parked on the weekends.

Human Test Subject
    I've been riding Dillingers all winter and the last thing I want in them is more rolling resistance.

mtbr member

Fat Dillinger!!

I'm on my second winter with Dillingers. Even without studs, they'd be excellent winter tires. They are definitely on the light/low rolling resistance end of the spectrum, with more than enough grip for most conditions. I love my Nates, but the Dillinger is more oftentimes the right winter tire for the job.
    -Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast