Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fat Dillinger!!

mtbr member
    Ok. Anyone ride Dillinger's in the dirt and gravel? How do they perform.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    no doubt you people in AK with the awesome crust rides I've seen want these but I'm thinking most places with snow either want float ~ or ~ skinny studded tires that cut down to the ice for grip. The float and ice traction together doesn't make sense here often.
    Float and traction makes perfect sense if you have varying conditions in the same ride like going from soft snow to icy sections. If you have studs in fat tires, when you don't need them in snow you don't even know they are there, but when the terrain changes to a section of ice or sketchy stuff, they will give you the desired grip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    Ok. Anyone ride Dillinger's in the dirt and gravel? How do they perform.
    I have not see any dirt in Steamboat Springs since October. 5-8 inches expected overnight, snow currently blowing sideways.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have a few internet friends that have them and they like them. They are smaller riders though, and fast regardless of what tire you put under them.

Imho if you are smaller and concerned with speed buy them, if you are larger then they may not offer enough traction compaired to a Nate type tire.

mtbr member
    May 2006

mighty sailin' man
    thought y'all might like to hear that it's raining with snow melting here today. Ice and slop everywhere...

pretty good conditions for the tire I poo pooed just days ago

can I get a haha?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    thought y'all might like to hear that it's raining with snow melting here today. Ice and slop everywhere...

pretty good conditions for the tire I poo pooed just days ago

can I get a haha?
    I got where you where coming from and usually studs and wide tires are counter productive.
    And I love beer!!

Nuts
    Looking for Big Fat Studs? Check Out the New 45NRTH Dillinger 5!

I don't see how 115mm=5"?

Kinda disappointed with the size, if this is true that is.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Looking for Big Fat Studs? Check Out the New 45NRTH Dillinger 5!

I don't see how 115mm=5"?

Kinda disappointed with the size, if this is true that is.
    I agree... probably went that way to accommodate more frames than a bud/lou... Still not horrible though.

Nuts
    I don't mind seeing it a little smaller if it keeps the weight down but don't call it 5" then.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I don't mind seeing it a little smaller but don't call it 5" then.
    I'm sure your wife wouldn't agree with that statement.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I'm sure your wife wouldn't agree with that statement.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jonshonda again. Your killin me lately
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by easterntide View Post
    My grip studded bud/ Lou (90 studs total) is superior as far as ice safety goes compared to my Dillingers. And I can just unscrew them when spring hits...
    I am really new to this and I sure could have used studs on my tires which could have prevented me from wiping out on black ice that wasn't visible (a layer of fine snow covering the ice covered asphalt parking lot) Would have spared me from a fractured pelvis. This has been one ROUGH winter for SE Mich.

Removable studs intrigues me. Where can I get them?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by kris7047th View Post
    I am really new to this and I sure could have used studs on my tires which could have prevented me from wiping out on black ice that wasn't visible (a layer of fine snow covering the ice covered asphalt parking lot) Would have spared me from a fractured pelvis. This has been one ROUGH winter for SE Mich.

Removable studs intrigues me. Where can I get them?
    Black ice is frost that forms on bare asphalt. We get the situation you described here a lot, snow, packed snow, or slushy packed snow due to vehicle travel (still way below freezing) over solid ice. That's one of the most dangerous situations we encounter. Even straight ice is sometimes not that bad due to the frost that forms on it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Black ice is frost that forms on bare asphalt. We get the situation you described here a lot, snow, packed snow, or slushy packed snow due to vehicle travel (still way below freezing) over solid ice. That's one of the most dangerous situations we encounter. Even straight ice is sometimes not that bad due to the frost that forms on it.
    It was about 1/4" thick because of a large snow bank that had been plowed from an adjacent parking lot, melting with water running across the parking lot entrance where I was, plus buildings shading the entrance from the other side preventing it from melting until the sun made it's way around .. about noon and then it all melted away. It was SLICK. After I fell a guy in a car behind me helped me up. We both looked down and our reactions .. "WHOA ... ICE" We very carefully walked over to a pavilion where I was meeting up with friends. He didn't want to leave me, but I told him to go. My friends would be there in a few minutes. This happened on a downward slope from the street, across the parking lot .. to the pavilion which is located along a river. The parking lot was recovered some months previously so it was smooth. I was close to my destination and braking .. which no doubt caused me to wipe out on the ice. I just didn't know I was on ice.

So .. yeah .. I am looking into getting the type of studs that can be removed, or getting a good studded tire for next year (I PRAY that we have a milder winter next year)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    $250 studded, $175 without, available in the fall, all per this website (with a pic):
    Faster Fat Bikes, Cyclocross Debuts Among Top Hits At 'Frostbike' Show | Gear Review | Gear Junkie

Think I'm gonna grip stud my Bud & Lou, although I hate hate hate the pricing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jonshonda again. Your killin me lately
    You make it too easy!!

Nuts
    More Info here.
    Frostbike ? Hands on with the 45NRTH Dillinger 5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Dillinger!!-45nrth-dillinger-5-weight.jpg  

And I love beer!!

Anchorage, AK
    Half a pound heavier than the Dillinger 4, for an extra 7mm on 100mm rims. Close call.
    --Peace

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    Half a pound heavier than the Dillinger 4, for an extra 7mm on 100mm rims. Close call.
    I kinda thought the same thing, I mean it's smaller than Bud and Lou with less tread height and almost the same weight. I can only armchair this one right now but pass as of right now. I was hoping to see around 1350g the same weight as the ground controls.
    And I love beer!!

Human Test Subject
    Has anyone put serious miles on their nicotines yet? These have the same studs and I can't imagine them lasting more than a season. 45nrth doesn't have the beat track record with actually testing their products before releasing them either.

mtbr member
    From the 45NRTH website, it looks like the Dillinger 5 is now available for purchase. If anyone has a set, I'd love to hear how the real-world, production tires are measuring out. In my case, I'm interested in measurements on either 82mm rolling darryls or 100mm clownshoes or both, but any data could be useful.

Pre-production data suggested that they might come in at an in-between size, in the BFL range. Hoping that's still the case.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2