Thread: Fat CO2

mtbr member

Fat CO2

I had a look at a few of the other threads but didn't really see a clear winner for a dispenser, have a race coming up that finishes with 20km of road and buggered if I'm going to stop and hand pump that or ride it at 8psi ;-)

Probably go from 8psi up to around 15psi (will have to see how new tires run on road when they arrive).
    How many canisters am I likely to need?

mtbr member
    get a 9 0z paintball co2 tank... you can build a presta adaptor for it

SILCA 30.0 Presta / Schrader Brass Bicycle Air Pump Adaptor Head Hose Chuck on eBay!

Spyder 9 OZ Paintball High Pressure Cylinder | eBay

and some fittings

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Lezyne do large 25g cartridges, take a few and you should be fine.

Or you could put some stan's juice in the tubes.

Fat & Single
    I would say 1 for each tyre would do it. The biggest loss on Co2'ing a fat tyre is the initial fill, you could bust 2 into a flat tube without even getting any pressure. Once you have some pressure they will bring it up nicely, on a 4.8" I would say 8psi to 12psi per cartridge.

I have a Genuine innovations ProFlate that takes threaded or non threaded 16g cartridges, been using it for a few years now.

The 16g cartridges can be picked up in "lots" from ebay for $1 each or less.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Use this cartridges:

Fat CO2-ou_80.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    I would say 1 for each tyre would do it. The biggest loss on Co2'ing a fat tyre is the initial fill, you could bust 2 into a flat tube without even getting any pressure. Once you have some pressure they will bring it up nicely, on a 4.8" I would say 8psi to 12psi per cartridge.

I have a Genuine innovations ProFlate that takes threaded or non threaded 16g cartridges, been using it for a few years now.

The 16g cartridges can be picked up in "lots" from ebay for $1 each or less.
    they also make 20g carts which i believe fit the same dispenser.

Mountain

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    This will do the job. One cartridge will fill a 4" fat tire to 15psi in seconds.
    Big Air! 40 Gram Propane - 1 Pack With Hang Tab

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    don't forget about the inflate as you ride system from adaptrac, although it doesn't look like they ever got the Fat bike hubs ready for the market yet.

Are you sure it wouldn't cost you less time to just find a compromise pressure for the whole race than getting off the bike and inflating the tires, even with a CO2 inflator?

If you ride hard enough, maybe you can get the tire temperature up enough to where the pressure is good enough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Have you thought about going tubeless? Setup is a slight hassle, but it is really well worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    Are you sure it wouldn't cost you less time to just find a compromise pressure for the whole race than getting off the bike and inflating the tires, even with a CO2 inflator?
    Yeah that's another idea I was considering, exploring options ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtstretch View Post
    Have you thought about going tubeless? Setup is a slight hassle, but it is really well worth it.
    I don't see how running tubeless or not relates in anyway to the OP, have you had your coffee yet?

I run tubeless anyway FWIW.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Wouldn't you just try it out before the race (for just the cost of a few CO2 bulbs)... should never try anything untested in a race. Do it a week or two before and you'll have your definitive answer. Let us know what you found.

Cheers
    FatMuz

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Three 16g cartridges barely touch a BFL- they bring it up to maybe 5 PSI, not nearly enough to ride. To be safe, a couple of "Big Air" containers and a good frame pump (which weigh less than the two canisters) would be the minimum for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    I don't see how running tubeless or not relates in anyway to the OP, have you had your coffee yet?

I run tubeless anyway FWIW.
    I switched my Moonlander to tubeless immediately after I bought because I didn't ever want to have to deal with inflating a fat tire on a ride. I don't see and never will see CO2 as a respectable option for fat tires. Either it doesn't reach the necessary PSI or I have to carry an extra 4 pounds of CO2 canisters.

I run tubeless and carry a mini mountain morph pump. And yes, I can get it to a decent PSI from dead flat in a very reasonable time. I had to on a recent bike race.

mtbr member
    I switched my Moonlander to tubeless immediately after I bought because I didn't ever want to have to deal with inflating a fat tire on a ride. I don't see and never will see CO2 as a respectable option for fat tires. Either it doesn't reach the necessary PSI or I have to carry an extra 4 pounds of CO2 canisters.

I run tubeless and carry a mini mountain morph pump. And yes, I can get it to a decent PSI from dead flat in a very reasonable time. I had to on a recent bike race.
    well we know it's an option and frankly a very effective one which far exceeds what a mini pump can do.

mtbr member
    D peple even read the P these days?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    N

mtbr member
    whats that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Good point! I've used the 40 Gram Big Air and it works great for fat tires. If you are looking for a race solution it will be the quickest way to air up as you can likely use just one cartridge for both tires and the container appears lighter than a typical CO2 cartridge. I think the Big Air can is aluminum instead of steel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I use the 40g Big Air cans. They are filled with propane...great fire blower if needed

mtbr member
    Damn those big airs ain't cheap, tho I suppose it doesn't really matter for a one off race use CO2 Refill | CO2 Cartridge | Threaded CO2 Cartridge | CO2 Cylinder

mtbr member

It's not about inflating after a flat.

It's about bringing the pressure from 8 psi to 15 psi quickly when the final part of the course starts - 20 km of road.

I would definitely use CO2 for that, even though otherwise I steer clear from it. I also ride a Moonlander tubeless.