Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fat Chariot

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Fat Chariot

i tried a few experiments and this is the monster i ended up with.
    there are definitely better ways to accomplish this, but this cost me
    less than twenty dollars. canadain.
    started with a cross laced double rim set up. tricky because the
    Chariot hubs are 24 spoke. so, twelve spokes per rim. the new rim is a
    48 hole too, so just skipped some holes. then gorilla taped the inside
    and ran a regular 2.35 tire with a tube. everything worked and ran
    safely, so it passed the first test.
    next i found some 20 x 4 1/4" tires. the casing is super stiff.
    getting one bead over and on one sidewall was a chore. then i had to
    push it over into the second rim. ok. had to wrestle the second bead.
    had to get it about halfway seated, hold one side with my elbow, then
    the other side with a tire lever, then use my free hand to pry the
    rest on. first one started with a 20" tube. after the second battle,
    and aired up, the fist one went flat. 24" tube crammed in. so a 20"
    tube in one and a 24" in the other. both are holding fine right now.
    this should be fun in the snow, sand, and especially when i get my
    moonlander!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Chariot-bigchar.jpg  

Fat Chariot-p1030761.jpg  

Fat Chariot-p1030762.jpg  

Fat Chariot-p1030766.jpg  

Smash Mode: ON
    Where did you find that 4.25 tire? I've got some 2.3's on my sons trailer and those just barely cut the mustard on sand. Haven't tried them in snow yet.
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    the tires are Duro Boomerangs. they are for choppers, or stingrays. a distributor here in canada has some in stock. i think they are made for a 100mm rim, and would sit more square. they may move to a bike when she gets bigger

Harrumph
    Very nice! I've really wanted to try this but I haven't managed to get around to it. I what is stalling my fat Burley is the sweet Mag wheels. I've got to find some of those hubs and was going to use some trials rims.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Ingenious.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

not FAT free
    i like Your project,
    i did similar thing but i bought two schwinn 20"rear chopper wheels 4" wide ! of ebay for $60 and than bought KORE front track hubs for $15 each ( very smooth rolling)
    i was lucky because spokes were just 3mm too long so they were trimmed after wheel was trued
    i had to modify front hub axles to fit my trailer so that way i could have two sets of wheels and keep my original wheels for paved trail
    trailer runs much smoother on uneven ground so it's more comfy for my kid and also does 80% better in a sand than original wheels
    i wish those tires could be more flat and with softer sidewalls so could run them at lower pressure but i'm very happy with current results

cheers to all modifiers !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Chariot-fat-trailer-00.jpg  

Fat Chariot-fat-trailer-01.jpg  

Fat Chariot-fat-trailer-02.jpg  

Fat Chariot-fat-trailer-03.jpg  

Last edited by RFX big foot; 01-21-2013 at 08:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    so awesome RFX big foot! i would love some wide rims, but i think the chariot system needs the chariot hubs. and 24 spokes in a 36 hole rim hurts my head for spoke calculating

PRETENDURO
    WOW!!! Wish Id thought of that back when we had our Burley Dlite. Nice work!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Fat just got fatter

Fat Friends-

Just finished this Chariot SideCarrier setup. I studied the instructions above and thought I would give it a shot. The only snag that I ran into was that the chariot hub has 24 spokes and the schwinn rim has 36 holes. My brain stopped working for a minute so my wife stepped in and helped with the configuration. I didn't have to modify the spokes at all and I went ahead and used the ones that came on the schwinn wheel but added some new nipples. Then I went to lacing it up and truing it up. Everything came together just right and I'm itchin to take the boy out on a ride....(he's 3.5 months old). I took it out yesterday and it rode like a dream!! Thanks again for the forum ideas and all those that contribute to it! Awesome project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Chariot-dsc02938-2.jpg  

Fat Chariot-dsc02939-2.jpg  

bikewrider.blogspot.com
    Jun 2011
    Wow, those are fantastic.
    I've had great success just using the Chariot XCski kit, which we own already, but it's tempting to tinker with building some fatter wheels.

Let me know when your kids get bigger and you put together a fatified trail-a-bike.
    It's on my to do list, but hasn't reached the point of being a priority yet, I'd love to have some outside input.

old skool newbie
    just having a chariot brand trailer is cool enough, these modified fun rides are awesome!!

mtbr member
    I ordered a couple stingray rims, I'm going fat on my chariot too after seeing these! Benjo Clark: any issues at all lacing up that 24h hub to the 36 hold rim? I've never laced a wheel before so this will be my first! Any clearance issues with the frame of the chariot? I have a cougar cts1, and it looks like similar frame overall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    @alaskairhog. I thought it went pretty smooth as far as lacing up the 24 hole hub to 36 rim. Obviously, you do end up skipping 12 spokes but the strength seems to be sufficient for the load. I did have to throw it into the truing stand and work out a couple kinks. The tire clearance is close (1/2 inch or so) but it doesn't rub. Once the boy is riding in it I'm going to keep an eye on that area.
    I ordered my rim off of ebay and it arrived on a Thursday, I unlaced both wheels on Friday afternoon, and then laced it up on Saturday and test drove it. It was a really fun project and I don't really consider myself a great mechanic so I'd say if you have a basic understanding of wheelbuilding you should do just fine. Have fun with it.

Dinner for wolves
    Badass Chariots! Especially the side hack!

I did a similar, but much more mechanically straightforward (tire swap and chain lengthening) to my Weehoo Igo trailer. No rides, yet.

Oy - photo fail. Basically, you can shoe horn a 20" x 3" Kenda (Sunline) Flame into a Wee Igo if you add a link to the chain.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Let me clarify the Chariot Sidecarrier since I've gotten a few emails about this and am unable to respond to you since I don't have more than 5 posts on MTBR??? Odd regulation. Anyway, the Chariot Sidecarrier was produced for a short time and it is based on the sidecar design. I've been in the bike industry for some time now and have never seen a company take on the sidecar concept until I bumped into Chariot. I called the company since there weren't any dealers close by and they told me the news that they were discontinuing the Sidecarrier and that my best option would be to find it online somewhere. They didn't give a reason for stopping production but I "heard" they were being bought by Thule...don't quote me on that. So I ended up finding one on REI and it was on clearance so I pulled the trigger and snatched it up. Soon thereafter they were all gone and that was that. So in other words I cannot take responsibility or credit for making the Sidecarrier but you'll be hard pressed to find another company willing to take on the sidecar concept. There ya go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i love the side carrier! i didn't know they were discontinued. where are you guys getting the stingray rims? i really need a wider rim. the tire sits so round right now, its a pretty small footprint. the only ones i have found are some weinmann's in a 36 hole. also today i found clearance issues on the q/r handles for the rear basket. doesn't really bother me too much, and i could dish it over if i needed to.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I bought my stingray wheel on ebay and I waited around to find a complete wheel, tire, and tube combo so I wouldn't have to piece it together. You can also find them on craigslist on the Schwinn OC Chopper bikes that everybody is trying to unload. Mine ran around $50 without shipping.

Saw
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Choppersus.com would be another source.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The sidecars are still available on ebay:

New - Chariot Side Carrier | eBay
    Used - Chariot Sidecarrier or Bike "Side Car" Complete with Rain Fly and Mesh Cover | eBay

Edit - they're not cheap, though!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'd say the one on ebay for 200 is a pretty good deal. I was really blown away by the design features, the heavy duty material used for the carriage, tons of reflective material is used throughout, and it's fairly lightweight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    hey, where did all my pictures go?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I am curious where my other pictures went too. Strange???

not FAT free
    same thing here ! i see just 2 of 5 photos

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Here's another perspective.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Chariot-dsc02939-2.jpg  

Mountain biking fanatic!
    I love those designs - thanks, awesome! Hopefully I'll come up with something this Spring to bring my two year old along on rides. In the Winter, I can't believe how well the ski kit works behind a fat bike. Check this recent short vid out:
    Fat Biking with a Trailer - YouTube

Happy riding all!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast