Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fat Chariot

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    That's pretty slick!

mtbr member
    Here's mine: I copied an earlier poster and bought the stingray wheels from ebay and also tires. I basically de-laced a wheel then re-used the spokes and used the stock chariot wheel as a template to copy the lacing pattern to lace up the chariot hub to the new rim. I then took them to "The Bike Shop" here in Anchorage and they did an awesome job truing the wheels and they work and fit perfect!

Fat Chariot-226892_10200615917509922_208595115_n.jpg
    my little passenger!
    Fat Chariot-482801_10200615918669951_2129664422_n.jpg

Fat Chariot-524667_10200615924390094_1297032029_n.jpg
    great way to warm up before a race!
    Fat Chariot-558001_10200615930550248_806749326_n.jpg
    works great as a stroller as well!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Man, that turned out great! Some good times are going to be had with that thing. We have the infant accessory on the way for our Chariot Fat Sidecarrier so I can take our 5 mo. old son for ride next weekend. Super excited! Now someone needs fatify a trail a bike and we'll be set. Who's going to do it???

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjoClark View Post
    Man, that turned out great! Some good times are going to be had with that thing. We have the infant accessory on the way for our Chariot Fat Sidecarrier so I can take our 5 mo. old son for ride next weekend. Super excited! Now someone needs fatify a trail a bike and we'll be set. Who's going to do it???
    Someone’s got to have a welder and some skill handy for this one…
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    I borrowed airhogs wheels over the weekend, put them to work on my Chariot, my son had a blast. My wheelset is still a work in progress. These fat wheels turn heads on the local trails, everyone wanted to know how it was done and thought it was the coolest idea! They do add weight, and since the tire casing is short had thick, it rides a bit rough even at pressures below 10psi. I would like to find a softer tire.

Mountain biking fanatic!
    Those wheels look great! I haven't been able to try mine out yet in the snow which is now very wet and too soft. Did you get to try out the float of them in the untracked stuff? The skis do work extremely well but we had to bring the (stock) wheels for the road sections.

Fat Chariot-img_0830.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Chariot-img_0829.jpg  

mtbr member
    BenjoClark, That has got to be on of the coolest things I have ever seen on a bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks skywalker! I'm with you and I think it's one of the coolest things i've ever seen on bike too. I looked around and kept my eyes peeled for a sidecar for a quite a long while so it's been a long time coming. We're waiting on the infant kit to arrive so we can strap our boy in and go for a joyride.
    Last edited by BenjoClark; 04-10-2013 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    and....lift off!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Chariot-firstbikeride.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Sorry for this resurrection, and very long post.....

I found a second burley on ebay, picked it up pretty cheap. I also bought three stingrays off craigslist at $60 each.

The new burleys, featuring the 1/2" quick release wheelchair style axles, come from the factory with 20h 20" hubs and integral hub-mounted parking brake. I was planning to put the stingray wheels on the burley hubs, but I fear the 20h hubs and 36h rims are incompatible.

I called burley and ordered a spare set of axles so I can just switch out my stingray wheels for the rougher terrain, and back again so my wife and I can hit the local bike trail.

I spent a bunch of time looking on the internet for some burley-esque 1/2" bearing compatible 36h trike hubs, but have been unable to find anything that isn't 5/8". This hub, Trike Hollow Hub 36 Spoke Heavy Duty ,looks pretty close to the dimensions of the burley hub, but features 5/8" bearings.

Can the 5/8" cartridge bearings be pulled and swapped with 1/2" bearings? Or does anybody have any suggestions for a different hub?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Fat Chariot

I went over to the LBS, and after a long talk with the expert wheelbuilder in residence, have ordered the 5/8" hubs. Once they come in, I will swap bearings, install new axles, and spoke the hub to the rim.

I will put pictures on when they seem appropriate.

Edit: I have just received my axles from Burley, waiting now for the hubs to come in the mail.
    Last edited by WhiskeyJr; 07-18-2014 at 07:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sorry for the thread bump, but I think I'm about to pull the trigger on this.

We had am absolutely brutal winter this year and I didnt get out at all with my girls. I thought about the XC conversion for the Chariot Cougar 2 but cant justify the price plus its limited to groomed trails which I cant snowshoe or bike on.

So I'm putting together my parts list for this and am hoping that others would be interested as well.

Rims: Origin8 80mm 36h rims $51
    Hubs: Sun Bicycle Cartridge bearing hubs 36h $17
    Bearings: 24mm$9
    Axel: Push Pin Quick Release axle for wheelchair $20
    Spacers and other hardware: $10

So I'm thinking I could build these for about $100-ish a wheel, plus rim strips and whatever tire is appropriate.

Anyone interested in a pair?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2