Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fat Cargo Bike

mtbr member
    May 2010

Fat Cargo Bike

I still need to build/attach the rear cargo rack (among other things) but I couldn't resist taking it out for some test rides first. Not as long as a Big Dummy or Mundo, but it'll still have a good sized rear cargo rack.

I plan to use some of the Yuba accessories on the rear cargo rack.

More info here.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Looking good, I'm glad you kept the same seat stay yoke design as your previous frame. Thumbs up!
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    I love it! Thats already a great looking bike. I bet it is a super comfy ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nice job! Looking forward to seeing your rack setup.

I am curious to your background previous to building your first bike. I would love to build my own frame, have a bit of brazing experience but that is about it. Wondering what a guy should learn before taking the plunge.

Dinner for wolves
    I bet you we will be seeing more Rabbit Hole (F)/Marge Lite (R) trail fatties in the months to come. Neat set-up you have there.
    Responds to gravity

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    I bet you we will be seeing more Rabbit Hole (F)/Marge Lite (R) trail fatties in the months to come. Neat set-up you have there.
    ...Yeah.

Yeah.

Think I'm going to call my wheel guy. Incidentally also the shop mentioned in his blog post.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Nice Are you just testing different setups or are you actually going to keep the 29+ wheel front (6+9+er?)?

mtbr member
    May 2010

Fat Cargo Bike

Thanks everyone!

fyrmd - I took a O/A welding and brazing class at a local art center, then did a TON of reading (mostly in the framebuilding forum here). I practiced a bunch, then just went for it. I've only built 2 frames.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Fat Cargo Bike

kyttyra - Ultimately I'll have a setup like (or similar to) the picture... Rabbit Hole front wheel and a Marge Lite rear. Tires are still undecided though.

The 29+ front wheel in the photo was on loan from my mountain bike, so the cargo bike is currently running just a regular 29er front wheel. The first upgrade for the cargo bike will be a 29+ front wheel.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Here are a couple updated pics with the preliminary rear rack. I'll be adding more rack supports in the near future.

nothing to see here
    That's cool. Nice work!
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    That looks really great!

mtbr member
    May 2010

Fat Cargo Bike

Thanks guys! I still have to add the cable braze-ons, a plate for a kickstand, and the remaining rack supports. Then I have to decide on paint...

mtbr member
    There would seem to be room for one heck of a frame bag. Also I wonder, whether the space between seat tube and rear wheel could be put to use too (in terms of cargo).

Oh, and

mtbr member
    May 2010

Fat Cargo Bike

Yeah, I could put a MONSTER framebag in there.

But I think a full framebag would be overkill for my purposes. I'll likely just have a tangle-sized bag made by a local friend that makes custom bags. It'll be for water, snacks and anything else I want to keep handy. I'm not going on any expeditions, so anyone/anything else that I'd want to carry will go on top of the rack or in the panniers.

The main inspiration for this bike was Hunter's fat cargo bike. It has both a framebag and a bag between the wheel and ST like you mentioned: http://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/20...-hunter-fatty/ Pretty dang cool.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Put 40 miles on the new bike yesterday... some pavement, but a lot of dirt and sand. I think I'll eventually end up with front and rear 29+ wheels on it (Rabbit Hole/Knard combo) to get more chain/tire clearance. In order to run the full fat in back I lose access to a couple cassette cogs.

Here are a few pics:

mtbr member
    Wow!

Awesome skills, I kinda think just a clear coat and run it natural. However, I see you primed it.

So, what color are going to do?
    Where there is a hill, there's a way!

mtbr member
    May 2010

Fat Cargo Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Solo-Rider View Post
    Wow!

Awesome skills, I kinda think just a clear coat and run it natural. However, I see you primed it.

So, what color are going to do?
    Thanks! The brazing and filing look good from afar, but are far from good (when you look close). :-)

The workmanship is a bit ugly, but the brazes are good and it should be a solid frame. I just didn't want to spend the time cleaning up every joint... I've been working on this all summer and wanted to finish before winter. I'll take the time to make my next frame project look pretty (although I said that last time).

I thought about clear coating it. It'll still rust a bit under the clear, but I think that'd look cool. Clear would have definitely required more filing and sanding to look good though.

That's the color... grey. I liked the look of the primer, so I went with the same color paint.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMN View Post
    I've been working on this all summer and wanted to finish before winter. I'll take the time to make my next frame project look pretty (although I said that last time).

I thought about clear coating it. It'll still rust a bit under the clear, but I think that'd look cool. Clear would have definitely required more filing and sanding to look good though.

That's the color... grey. I liked the look of the primer, so I went with the same color paint.
    Yes, the clear and a bit of rust would give it a industrious look.:-) But after all that work the color is primer gray?!

No.....

You worked your ass off on that. Give that baby some color. You wanted a hunter themed bike. How about a olive green or coco brown?

That bike deserves it. :-)

mtbr member
    May 2010

Fat Cargo Bike

Yup, primer grey!

I have no interest in "hunting bikes".

Really I am that slow
    sweet!
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

Harrumph
    Nice work FTMN, I missed this as I've kinda been avoiding the Fatty forum for fear of stumbling upon another "lightest and or fattest" thread.

That said, what did your geometry #'s end up at? I've a Fat/Husky cargo bike on the list of frames to build, and am interested in what you think of what you've done.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    May 2010

Fat Cargo Bike

Thanks guys!

G-reg - I don't spend as much time here as I used to either. With all the talk of crabon rims and $5000 fat bikes, I figured I should post some do-it-yourself steel pics. I miss the DIY attitude this forum used to have.

The numbers are a bit fluid right now since I'm playing with wheel sizes. It currently has front and rear Large Marges with 2.35" Black Panther tires. With front and rear wheels of the same diameter, the HT and ST angles are right about 71.5*. Chainstays are 580mm, BB drop is 50mm, I'm using a Gen 2 Fargo fork for a (roughly) 680 front center and 1260mm wheelbase.

The long wheelbase makes it really different from anything I've ridden so I think it'll take a little while for me to have a good feel for what I like and don't like.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Re: Fat Cargo Bike

Very impressive.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I was going through your blog. Thanks for the info on frame building. I never thought building my own before. Really, I had no clue on where to even start. But, your blog has put this idea in my head.

Maybe one day. :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast