Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005

Fat BMX: Anyone?

Seems like it would be a blast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I would do it.
    I would love to see a frame with more BMX like geometry. ie: a steep head tube, and high BB.

I think the On-one Fatty prototype started out with that kind of feel, but they tuned it out during development for a more popular slack geo, but they did add some offset to the fork, which makes up for the slackness, but would make a fork change hard to do and still keep it's good handling. With a standard offset fork, it will probably ride just like a Mukluk.

Anyways, It would be fun to do it with watever fat bikes showup. I see some nice air pics, so you can still throw these beasts around. I am going to get some mini BMX bars to try on mine, like a 3.5-4" rise with a cross bar. that should help getting out of the saddle, and throwing it around like a BMX.

PRETENDURO
    Just get a Pugsley or a 9:zero:7 in a size smaller than you would normally ride, and adjust the stem/handlebar/seatpost/etc. dimensions/specifications accordingly. Nice and nimble handling.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    anything with a head tube angle as slack as a xc mtb is still going to be hard to handle when standing up where your weight is balanced front to rear. the pugs does have the steepest HT angle of the fat bikes I've seen, but has a low BB, and a fairly short TT. on the smaller sizes

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mtbr member
    The tires on my BMX need replacing, what's the fattest tyre out there in a 20" I had a quick look about and found up to 2.4 anyone find bigger or have a recommendation? There's a new pump track in the neighbourhood can't wait to give it a spin on the BMX.

mighty sailin' man
    please make it fit

Tire 20 x 4.25 Road Hog - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S.

no, I'm not serious but I would love to see it
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    Holly sh#@, don't think they would fit.

mighty sailin' man
    even the 3" are a little too plump

The Fat of Suburbia........AKA Urban Fatbiking.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    I would do it.
    I would love to see a frame with more BMX like geometry. ie: a steep head tube, and high BB.

I think the On-one Fatty prototype started out with that kind of feel, but they tuned it out during development for a more popular slack geo, but they did add some offset to the fork, which makes up for the slackness, but would make a fork change hard to do and still keep it's good handling. With a standard offset fork, it will probably ride just like a Mukluk.

Anyways, It would be fun to do it with watever fat bikes showup. I see some nice air pics, so you can still throw these beasts around. I am going to get some mini BMX bars to try on mine, like a 3.5-4" rise with a cross bar. that should help getting out of the saddle, and throwing it around like a BMX.
    I've thought such a thing would be pretty cool.
    Perhaps not that practical, but cool none the less ... Post a pic if/when you do it.

mtbr member
    I've posted this in another thread a few days ago

Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Strangely, if you stick a Pug fork on the On-One frame the figures look very similar.

You get:

..................Fatty*.......Pug
    HA.............70.15.....70.5
    BB drop......56mm.....55mm
    Trail............89mm....87mm
    Flop............28mm....27mm

With the same fork on each frame there's not much variation, so the difference is largely down to the forks.

Maybe we'll see Pug owners snapping up On-One forks to get the Fatty feeling, or Fatty owners getting Pug forks to recapture the Pug characteristics.

*that's the Fatty geometry with a Pug fork fitted
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    I've thought such a thing would be pretty cool.
    Perhaps not that practical, but cool none the less ... Post a pic if/when you do it.
    The front end of my Fatty 18" Fatty is even lower than I thought. I ended up using all the spacers I could fit(110mm) to get the Mary(37mm rise 30* sweep bars) up to saddle height with the stock stem. It looks kinda funny, but it feels great.

I have a 5.75" BMX bar coming. I won't be cutting the steerer until I am sure I like riding it with the BMX bar, just in case I want to switch back. If I put the stem all the way down the BMX bar will be about the same height and width as what I've got, without the sweep.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat BMX:  Anyone?-imag0169.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    did the fatty come with a steerer that long or did you mention it on your order?

CAMBA Creature.
    I planned to do a BMX Race/Ride last year, even though I have never BMX'D in my life, but conditions were not right and I had to cancel it.
    FAT BIKE BMXing Ride. | Facebook

Since then, I've tried to convince a local BMX bike shop that it would be a lot of fun, He said he really wants to do it, but since his shop is new, he's been too busy.
    Maybe it will happen soon.

eSpeCially CrAzy IrRegular TrailBuildin' Crew
    Chequama Mama

MTB: Mukluk/Moonlander/Super V-1.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by flobukki View Post
    did the fatty come with a steerer that long or did you mention it on your order?
    I asked them to leave it uncut.