Thread: Fat BMX

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Fat BMX

Has anyone ever seen a Fat BMX online or in realtime? I was thinking it would be fun to ride winter terrain with a BMX.

mtbr member
    Used to be a bike called the Burro with 20" wheels - actually 19" with trials tyres.

The Burro’s unique, 20” tall x 3” wide tire/wheel combination results in unparalleled stability, balance and acceleration throughout the 24-gear range. While rolling resistance is slightly increased and effective downhill speed reduced, the Burro in each of its 13 trim and performance packages will outperform 26” and 29” wheel bikes over comparable topography. The Burro’s exceptionally low Center of Gravity (Cg) makes balancing at low speeds instinctive, while tire pressure ranges of 6psi to 40psi allows for virtually infinite set-up for sand, snow, asphalt, decomposed granite, slick rock, or mud. And Burro’s exceptionally high stall speed makes easy work of fixed or moving obstacles like logs, boulders, roots, city busses, panel vans, cars, etc. Highly technical terrain is a no-brainer as Burro in all its forms, is the one bike, the only bike capable of challenging any situation, condition, or environment. Whether recreation, competition, or transportation is your desire, Burro is without equal.

There used to be videos of it being ridden in the snow - mainly downhill, I noticed.

Riding a 20" wheel bike in snow is quite difficult. I have some experience....

[IMG]
    Last edited by Velobike; 11-03-2012 at 02:06 AM.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    oh yeah, good idea with the trials tires.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    LOL Velobike that ellipsis and the picture... looks like it was a loaded statement.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    It looks an awful lot like the folding bike I bought for my mom. I remember those and I said to myself there's no way they were any good on softer sand or snow. In fact other than looking like a really tall trials bike, my guess is they wouldn't have excelled anywhere.

mtbr member
    I think the closest you could get would be a a Surly 1x1 with Gazz tires. Maybe the Surly Instigator???
    My son has a 1990's Dyno GT with 2.5s that look super fat compared to his buddy's BMX or even dad's Trek 830 but there is no way you could get a Gazz 3.0 in the rear stays. Probably upfront though. Never seen a fat fat BMX though, I just don't think anybody has made a frame yet that can, unless you count those Harley/West Coast Choppers/Jessie James lowrider bikes. You can get 4.0s on those bad boys(but heavy & low!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    ... my guess is they wouldn't have excelled anywhere.
    They excel at one thing - fitting in the rear of your car. So you can get in a lot of impromptu rides when you go somewhere. The bike with you is always better than the bike you have left at home

Little wheel bikes may not excel, but they can be surprisingly capable.

King of the mountain

It's probably obvious I have a liking for small wheeled bikes. Also got some good pics somewhere of my ancient Moulton in interesting places where it shouldn't be, but I think they're on film because I can't find them.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    There is one on my forum made out of an 80's gt Mach 1

...Couldn't afford a fat bike, so I made my own.
    I've been eyeing off the 100mm 20" rims for a similar idea.

How does it ride on soft stuff?

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Good to see you posting around here again, Hit !
    I guess that must mean that you have recovered a bit from Sandy ?
    Not seeing updates on your tumblrblog made me a bt nervous...
    (I need my UGV fix !)

mtbr member
    Simon had (I think Weinmann) make some smaller 44mm hoops called 44 Mags...they were the same extrusion as his snowcat but small diameter for trials...I dont know if they were 18" or 20"...They would make for a fine mini-fattie
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Reworking an old bmx frame is no problem and they are a dime a dozen. I dig the chopper wheel idea, those things look like they will work beautifully. Hopefully I can find a couple choppers on craigslist...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

mtbr member
    Also check out Classic Cycle in Germany

or Robsson, also in Germany

mtbr member
    I have been on generator power for days now, but it's ok because I am a prepper. I use the Internet from my phone so I have been laying low.

Here is my fat news boy. It has that upright position of a BMX bike and feels like one, but it dosent handle like one.

mtbr member
    See phone service is spotty because towers were lost. And yes a 5 gal gas can fits in there.

mtbr member
    Last try.Fat BMX-imageuploadedbytapatalk1352035305.739425.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Third time is the charm.. Nice bike! That looks like the perfect bike for post Sandy utility riding. Sucks that the storm was so brutal but nice that you have wheels to get around on.

Cheers,
    Steven

Last try.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352035305.739425.jpg 
Views:	919 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	735198

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Cool rack! BTW, is it supported only by the stem or does it contact the fork?

See phone service is spotty because towers were lost. And yes a 5 gal gas can fits in there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    Cool rack! BTW, is it supported only by the stem or does it contact the fork?
    It could easy with some simple adjustments.Fat BMX-imageuploadedbytapatalk1352045665.522640.jpg

I had my jones bars on for a bit and it feels great as well but I wanted the bmx feel. The original bars that came on the rack were all wrong. They were too narrow for the odd sweep they had.

mtbr member
    Fat BMX-imageuploadedbytapatalk1352045930.609492.jpg

It has a great news boy feel to it.