Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Fat Biking and health

I am starting this thread to allow some of us a way to share our rides and the benefits we gain from our rides healthwise. I am a 62 yr old cyclist that has weighjt and health issues. I ride a bout six days a week on local bike paths and trails . I have congestive heart failure (chf), diabetes type 2 and arthritis. When I first got back into cycling I weighed 329 lbs. Currently (3 months later) I am down to 289 lbs and My health has shown marked improvement. My bike that I ride currently is a Mongoose Dolomite. I used to ride a Marlin singlespeed but I need more a wider range of gears for my arthritic knees. Being on a fixed income I couldn't afford an expensive fat bike so I swallowed my pride and bought a big box store bike.

A Surly Maverick
    Welcome OB52

Sounds like you are having fun and getting healthy, an awesome combo !

Fat bikes ironically have the opposite effect on their riders ....... they also lead to over developed 'smile' muscles

Cheers,
    Dr FG
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member
    We have found that If we ride one to two hours we recover quickly compared to some of the one hour rides we did on 26" x 2,0" hardtails. We ride three different trails that our in our area. All have varying difficulties.
    My background in cycling in the dirt goes back to The Mid 60's when our subdivision near Chicago Illinois had some undeveloped tracts of land. like a lot of guys in the era we used bikes to get around and while most of them used 20" bike I decided to try an old Phantom. Fast forward to 1983. I discovered Mt. Bikes and I was hooked.
    I have ridden ever since except for two years after om first heart attack. I have found that riding helps me recover much faster now. My recovery after a ride takes fifteen to twenty minutes. -and my resting heart rate is around 56-60 bpm compared to 75-78 bpm.

mtbr member
    Way to go old bear. I'm an old guy too. Biking, along with healthy eating, is a great way to get back in shape. Good luck reaching your goals. If that's all you can afford, ride that dolomite with pride and give yourself credit for getting off the couch.
    Vini vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I hope to keep riding in my 60s like you. Keep it up!

mtbr member
    Thanks Guys for all the encouragement! I just checked my blood pressure and pulse rate and at three in the morning it is 115/67 rate is 54. The reason I'm up so early is that my hand is throbbing. I have a pacemaker/defibulator unit in my chest and it misread my heart the rhythm of my heart and went off Monday, putting me in the hospital until 4pm Tuesday. seems I have an infection where the IV was pulled out. So I just soaked the hand in hot5 water and now the throbbing is subsiding. the neat thing is that with my new bike I don't feel the pain as much when I ride.
    Adventure Rider; you will discover that no matter how old you are never to old to ride. My great uncle rode until he was 83. He raced in the 'old days' 1911 to 1925 on an old BSA fixed gear bike with no brakes! he was doing the Olympic trials back in the 20's and got the flu and missed his chance. could true wheel just by spinning them in his hands. He is the reason I ride today. He helped me strip down my '47 Schwinn and even put a 20's Brooks saddle on it. My sister has his 1913 BSA road bike with wheels he built6 and She doesn't know what to do with it. All it needs is a good cleaning and new tires. the only reason he quit riding because the streets in Chicago were getting a little hairy. Annnd i bet if he was alive today he'd be riding a Fat Bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    40 lbs in 3 months is an incredible accomplishment!!! Keep up the hard work and keep us updated!!

mtbr member
    Thanks thunderzy!
    Due to the fact that I have some restrictions due to to hot and cold temperatures, (no riding outside above 93 and below 25 before wind chill).I was wondering if anyone has heard of a wind trainer that could fir the Dolomite's tire? I wan to use the same tire and gearing indoors as I use outdoors. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    We went riding at 6:30am and put in around four miles on a trail close to the house. my pulse before riding was 59 and my blood pressure was 112/78. at midpoint the heart rate had hit 110 and blood pressure was 130/85 after a half hour of rest my puilse was 60 and the blood pressure was 114/79.
    I am pleasantly surprised bny my recovery rate.

All fat, all the time.
    That's great! Keep on riding!

I had to take a physical couple years ago, Doc said "whatever you are doing, just keep doing it!"

......sweet.....mountain biking & drinking beer. check! lol. Amazing what regular rides will do for your body. Not only physical though, but mentally as well. My stress levels drop significantly after a good ride. No worries about the usual junk like work & stuff.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    ...Due to the fact that I have some restrictions due to to hot and cold temperatures, (no riding outside above 93 and below 25 before wind chill)....
    I'm curious about those restrictions and the reason for them.

mtbr member
    alphazz- Only about 45% of my heart beats unassisted. the rest is supporte0d by pacemaker. I was told that extremes of any outside temperature can adversely affect my Pacemaker/defib unit. What I have is referred to "left ventricular bundle damage". Right now we are having weather that is unusually cool for Missouri. the current temperature is 77. The usual temperature is around 80 to 90. It's nicve now but next week we go back into the 90's. So my rides will be early morning or just before sunset.

mtbr member

Beer, it does afat biker good

Shark- Beer is good but unfortunately I have to drink non alcoholic beer. My daughter buys me some and a sixer of bud light for her. I am on so much meds that I can't run the risk of alcohol and drug interaction. lol. Annnnd my biggest worry is makling sure my wife takes her meds. I retired from the radio broadcast industry and now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Good job, oldbear52! I am a few years older than you, with a degenerative joint problem in my hip. My doctor told me to go out and ride to the limits of my pain threshold. He said, "You can't make it worse, unless you fall." I ride three or four times a week, and darned if my hip doesn't feel better after a ride. Fat biking is the fountain of youth!

mtbr member

joint problems.

I too have some joint problems, Mainly my knees and lower back. riding keeps my knees nimble and the upright position of the Dolomite keeps the back pain to a minimum. I used to wear a back brace but as I went down in weight, my heaviest was 345, the need for support disappeared. Plus my Doctor took me off some meds that caused all that weight gain. I was on some anti depressant meds that pile on the weight because it caused me to eat more plus my diet was high in fat. Now we have teflon pans and we use no oil to cook. Eating sensibly really helps. I even cut refined flour and sugar from my diet. We use stevia and when a recipe calls for it raw sugar SPARINGLY. My usual after ride snack is a healthy granola bar and smart water. I do cheat sometiomes and bring along some dark chocolate and peanuts. We usually have a glass of whole milk after the ride or if I can find it Goats milk.

mtbr member
    I said whole milk because I was raised on raw milk from a farm near our house and I just love the taste. Besides I read in a Goat keeping book that when raw milk goes through pasturization and homoginzationn it releases a substance harmful to the heart. Besides 1% or skim milk tastes like chalk water to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Re: Fat Biking and health

Shark- Beer is good but unfortunately I have to drink non alcoholic beer. My daughter buys me some and a sixer of bud light for her. I am on so much meds that I can't run the risk of alcohol and drug interaction. lol. Annnnd my biggest worry is makling sure my wife takes her meds. I retired from the radio broadcast industry and now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats.
    All I can say is keep riding when you can. You might want to look into juicing vegetables and fruits. There is a good documentary on Joe cross you might want to watch:

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com. He used this mean green juice recipe..

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/mean-green-juice/

Ask your doc first though of course. Just something that kind of worked for me for losing some pounds. I just juice once a day though I never tried a juice fast.

mtbr member
    Great job, keep it up!
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2015 GT Grade 105

mtbr member
    Nice thread! I was about to ask something similar. I was about to ask if "fat bikes would be okay for persons over 50." I guess now I have my answer. Thanks!

I have an uncle, used to ride a lot when he was in his 30's... now he's 51, and is sometimes suffering from arthritis. I persuaded him to try out biking again... but seeing that he now lives outside of the city, where there's more dirt roads than paved ones, I thought that a fat bike would be ideal (instead of a regular mtb). So 2 weeks ago, he tried out a surly pugsley, and he was smiling all over the whole day.

He's now planning to buy his first fat bike. Just undecided at the moment if its going to be steel or aluminum for the frame. (for some reason... he doesn't like carbon).

cheers!

mtbr member
    Diffy- At 62 I find that my Fat Bike Rides just as easy as the bikes I rode as a preteen. After you get the psi down to a happy medium to cover the type of terrain you are going to ride. My Dolo seems to function best at 8 to 10 psi on our trails. I think your uncle should enjoy the extra 'cushioning' effect the big tires provide. We have a small compressor that operates off the truck battery and fills the tires pretty quick when I need to go up for pavement. This morning we rode from 6am to 8am and I found all my stats are holding . and my weight is steady at 288. So encourage your uncle to go fat he won't regret is. I enjoy the family aspect of the rides.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Reminds me to get out for a pre dawn ride Sunday, for many of the above reasons; good for what ails you.
    "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" John Wayne

mtbr member
    My ride this morning was at a series of trails in the next town over. We rode on some moderate trails staying away from a black diamond that is loaded with rock gardens. My bp at the start was 110/77 and heart rate was 65. mid way my heart rate hit 127 and we couldn't check the bp as we travel 'light'. post ride my bp was 126/79 and recovery heart rate was 80. twenty five minutes later It was back down to 65. had a celebratory meal of bananas over cheerios with some goat milk from a friends herd. annnd I had an eight ounce glass for it to treat myself. My son from Jefferson city is coming down tonight and we plan on taking him on an easy ride on the Lion's club trail. He is 27 and is 'inheriting' my Trek Marlin SS. He wants it to ride to and from work and on trails at Binder Lake. He just quit smoking and tried running to work but his knees can't take it.

mtbr member
    By 'traveling light ' We carry the bare minimum to keep us moving and a home blood pressure machine is like a luxury. We carry an extra tube, tire irons, small crescent wrench, and a small first aid kit, for hydration we carry a Camelback 70oz pack that doubles for a pack to carry our stuff. on the bike we carry 24oz waterbottles in a alloy cage. We also carry granola bars in case on of us hits 'the wall'. Around town, like for shopping trips, we ditch the pack in favor of the bottle and we have a trailer I bought years ago for $75 at a shop in Utah. we use 26" tires and it has a capacity of 100#. We are beginning to do most of our grocery shopping on a bike. My wife who is disabled rides in her power wheelchair and I ride with her on my Fat Bike. We used our bikes as our primary means of transport when we lived in Price Utah in the early 90's. It was something to see us go to the grocery store. all six of us. My wife on her diamondback, me on my gt, my daughter on her bridgestone, my Middle son on his haro bmx and the other two boys iin the trailer.

mtbr member
    Just got back from 45 minutes of riding fun. My son came down and picked up the Trek. Then my sister stopped by on her way to Branson and brought me a present the 1913 BSA. I aired up the tires on the steel wheels and rode it around the parking lot. I measured the wheelbase and found it to be 45". it looks long and low compared to a road bike of today. As soon as I find some reproduction sewups it is going to get a good cleaning and will be placed on display in the living room along with the Schwinn Phantom klunker. That means we have to store at least two bikes. That BSA is a piece of cycling art and History. I even got his wool knickers, sweater with the Humbolt Park Cycling Club patch,cap and shoes. I twill be a family memorial to my great uncle and the man that continues to influence me from heaven. I will post sopme pics of that bike as soon as I clean it up. And not only that my brother-in-law who is an avid cyclist too, rode the Dolomite and wants a fatbike too. It's an addiction I love to spread.

NYC Rollin Fattyz
    Hi Fat Bikers!!
    I am new to the forum and new to Fat Tire Biking! I've been Fat Biking in NYC - Manhattan, for nearly two months now. I must tell you that my Fat Bike is Transforming my body!! For over 20 years, my pants waist size has been 36W. My waist is now size 32W. I am blown away. I have had Male Fat Belly Syndrome since I was in my late 30s. I just turned 49 last week and my belly is disappearing. Those fat rolls in my back are no longer rolls. My shirts hang differently now in the front. Last night, I was laying all over my couch watching TV. Wanting to change the channel, I had to raise up a bit to reach the remote control on the coffee table over there....as I raised up my left leg to thrust myself up into a sitting position, I saw all kinds of muscles jump out of my leg that I do not remember seeing there before. I was blown away. Living in NYC, I generally take subways everywhere. In my neighborhood, the subway is elevated and there are three sets of stairs I have to climb to get to the subway platform. Usually, that last set of stairs has me cussing under my breaths because my legs are burning and screaming at me at the same time. At the top of the stairs, I'm usually huffing and puffing like I sprinted a marathon or something. Yesterday, I ran up all three flights of the stairs nonstop, two steps at a time. Once I got to the top, no huffing....no puffing and my legs acted like nothing was going on. I was blown away. This Fat Tire Bike is Transforming my body!! I do not know if I would have achieved the same results had I just bought one of them skinny tire, urban bikes like my LBS was encouraging me to do....maybe....But this Fat Bike is doing stuff to me and I like it!! Did I mention that I am experiencing noticeable changes in my endurance and stamina too? I am blown away.
    Once You Go Fat.....You'll Never Go Back!

mtbr member
    Phil:
    Welcome to the thread! sounds like you are progressing nicely. Keep it up! Seems that Fat Biking isn't just for the young. I hope you keep an eye on that bike. lol
    My doctor this week took me off any oxygen even as an emergency measure. My 02 level holds steady at 98% It only drops two percent when I am riding. (I bought a 02 pulse meter. ) But running up three flights of stairs sounds excellent! And your waist size is a good sign too. Just keep up the good work and ejoy your bike.

NYC Rollin Fattyz
    Thank you oldbear52. I'm so glad I decided on riding a Fat Bike. There are so few of them in Manhattan that I now feel like a Fat Tire Bike Ambassador. I use my bike mainly to commute to and from work. The ride generally takes me 1 hour to complete. I am discovering that I have to leave at least 30 minutes earlier to get anywhere....not because my Fat Bike isn't a "fast bike", but because people stop me to ask all kinds of questions about the bike. Thanks for your encouragement! Just this week, I've added 30 seconds of planking, 10 reps of squatting and 1 rep of 10 push ups prior to getting on my bike. I'm going to do that for one month and then see what my body is going to do in response to it!
    I'm very glad to be apart of this forum and it is so GREAT to read the experiences of other Fat Bikers! I hope that you will Fat Bike your way to fantastic health!!
    Once You Go Fat.....You'll Never Go Back!

mtbr member
    Diffy- At 62 I find that my Fat Bike Rides just as easy as the bikes I rode as a preteen. After you get the psi down to a happy medium to cover the type of terrain you are going to ride. My Dolo seems to function best at 8 to 10 psi on our trails. I think your uncle should enjoy the extra 'cushioning' effect the big tires provide. We have a small compressor that operates off the truck battery and fills the tires pretty quick when I need to go up for pavement. This morning we rode from 6am to 8am and I found all my stats are holding . and my weight is steady at 288. So encourage your uncle to go fat he won't regret is. I enjoy the family aspect of the rides.
    Good to know... that's very inspiring.
    I'll pass this on to my uncle, it will solidify his decision to go fat, thanks!

cheers!

mtbr member

Getting a second fat bike!

I wound up giving my son from Jefferson City my Dolomite instead of the Trek. My wife says I can spend up to 699 on a new bike so for now I am going to resort to riding the trek until the first so I can order a new one from bikes direct. . I decided on a Gravity Bullseye monster. I am getting so involved in a healthy recreation 'pastime' and it shows. It is weird riding the Trek since for the past month I have mainly ridden fatire. I hope to keep you all posted, Morning ride: 6:30am to 8am. My distance was 4.5 miles and It was beautiful. Went to a dinner last night at a friends house and climbed up three flights of stairs without tiring. Riding a fat bike makes a big difference.

mtbr member
    Went out to get soda with my daughter. I rode the Trek but it isbn't the same as a Fatbike. I just can't wait until the first. lol. We rode around on the paved bike path to go to the store and while yet is was easier to pedal It didn't turn any heads. My bp at the start was 112/68 heart rate 68. when we got to the store I checked my heart rate it was 100. When we got home the bp was 122/88 heart rate 79. weighed myself and found I was holding at 288.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Another week and another two pounds!

I went to the cardiologist this morning and found out that my weight has dropped to 86 pounds and that my oxygen level in my blood sits steady at 98%. Today is a 'rest' day, so took an easy ride around the neighborhood with my handicapped son. Maybe fifteen minutes saddle time and a lot of stops to say Hi to the neighbors and pet their dogs. One even asked where my other bike was. He is interested in a fat bike. He is 67 and a retired state trooper. ride putters around on an urban bike and wanted to try the trek. i let him and then the daughter showed up on her dolo and he tooled around the street and says he is going to get a fatty! I told him about bikes direct and he said he'll look them up. His wife rode the dolo too and said that they need to replace thier old beach cruisers anyway. So soon there will be two more 'converts' to the gospel of fatness!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I can see how the fat bike helps with weight loss. I too have the mongo dolo. You have to work harder on that bike. Only ridden it twice thus far. Can' ride again until I substantially change handle bar geometry. Then a lot of weight will betaken off my wrists. And it doen' feel good looking up while I am riding either. I look forward to the ride once that is fixed. Continue your great work!

mtbr member

Changing the cockpit

Steve: have you conidered changing bars? something a little more backlswept with a little more rise? It may solve your problem. Maybe some one else a little more informed on physiology and cycling could weigh in here. I am thinking on my new bike of adding some sort of bar-ends. Got them on the Trek and the ability to change hand positions really helps my neck.I have osteo-arthritis in my neck and shoulders. I know Bar-ends are ols school and some might say outmoded but to each their own. Keep on riding everyone!

mtbr member
    I recently bought myself a Dolomite to have some fun with while I'm getting rid of a few pounds.
    I'm not comfortable with the stock geometry. The bars are lower than I like. (I've grown top heavy and have become less flexible)
    So I ordered a trekking bar,
    Name:  NS-TRK-NCL-FRONT.jpg
Views: 6645
Size:  4.5 KB
    an adjustable stem
    Name:  YS-PRAS-NCL-ANGLE.jpg
Views: 6652
Size:  13.0 KB
    and a comfortable seat from Nashbar.
    Name:  NB-SC1S-NCL-ANGLE.jpg
Views: 6647
Size:  9.0 KB
    I hope these modifications will increase the level of luxury.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I got a stem raiser and short adjustable stem on the way fro amazon. Along with the stock stem this should open up a large variety of bars, including the stock bar. I should be able to ride it in better comfort until I figure out what bar will be best for me. This adjustability will allow many different choices

mtbr member

too darn hot

I slept in this morning and have been rewarded with as no ride day It is 95 with a heat index of 105. maybe tonight. A city ride at dusk. I want the cooler weather to come back!
    Steve: I hope you get your parts soon. I got a phone call from my son< seems his boss wants a Fat Bike! The boss wants to buy David's bike but he won't sell. David Just might sell after he saves enough to get another bike. (possible Gravity Bullseye Monster). I also had a call from my Cardiologist .seems on August 12th they are going to replace my pacemaker battery. That means I have to find a stationary bike or not ride for a week because my left arm will be in a sling. so no t5rails for a week. Maybe I can ride around town?

mtbr member
    Another Neighbor stopped by to chat and see If I would fix his Huffy 'Mtn Bike'. He needed some minor adjustments and to have it set up properly, if possible, so he could ride better. He notice my trek and had seen the dolo and asked what I paid for them. He said 'whoa that's way too much!'. then I went on comparing my Trek to his BSO. He was open and listened closely and still wouldn't believe the Trek was worth more than his. "mine was only $99 and gots more gears" he stated. He had bought some old Salsa barends at a yard sale and wanted me to install them for him. I put them on and then he said, "no I want them straight up!" I tried to explain that they were not supposed to be like that. I would up trading his an old pair of Bontragers I had because " the Salas's weren't shiny enough"> So I procured the Salas for my new bike and he went out and rode in the heat. Later he asked me if I could install 'ten speed' handle bars so he could ride more upright. I told him no. Thje I looked at his thirty year old girls Huffy and saw that the handle bars were flipped up and all the cables were stretched beyond repair. I told him that they were worthless and that he'd be better oiff leaving it alone. Which he finally agreed on. Tonight he's joining us on our exploration of the bike path the snakes through town. Maybe I will let him ride my son Sean's Beast and maybe that will convince him to get a newer bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Steve: have you conidered changing bars? something a little more backlswept with a little more rise? It may solve your problem. Maybe some one else a little more informed on physiology and cycling could weigh in here. I am thinking on my new bike of adding some sort of bar-ends. Got them on the Trek and the ability to change hand positions really helps my neck.I have osteo-arthritis in my neck and shoulders. I know Bar-ends are ols school and some might say outmoded but to each their own. Keep on riding everyone!
    . OldBear. Plan on new bars after I see what geometry the new parts will provide. I am not tall. With the seat at proper height bars too low. Strains old parts. I think that stem raiser and the short adjustable stem will allow me to look at a lot. I can reverse the stem and maybe even use the stock bars withe the raiser.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Also looking forward to new on ones in August. Decreased weight, I hope, will be amazing.

mtbr member

Twilight ride.

I went out tonight and rode a bit of the bikepath here for fortyfive minutes. My daughter loaned the neighbor her dolomite and I rode my trek. my daughter rode her trek and bringing up the rear, at least for the first lap was Sean, on his beast. We went pretty eaasy and the neighbor ju8ust kept saying "wow, this rides different!" My heart rate got up to 110 and I fel;t fine. at home my blood pressure after a gool down was 102/62. annnd no pain. My daughter didn't even go for her after ride smoke. twenty minutes after the ride My heart rate was 61. Not bad recovery for an old Clydesdale.

mtbr member
    Thanks thunderzy!
    I was wondering if anyone has heard of a wind trainer that could fir the Dolomite's tire? I wan to use the same tire and gearing indoors as I use outdoors. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I used wind trainers until I was able to convince my wife to gift me a kreitler 4.5 with headwind attachment. I will never use a wind trainer again. Rollers are better trainers as they improve your balance and ability to hold a line, and they are super convenient as there's no setting up the bike each time you want to use them, you just put the bike on and go.

Kreitler is super not cheap, but there are other brands like TACX, Cyclops, Minoura, Elite, Nashbar, Travel trac, etc, that have models as low as $150. There are also DIY instructables using PVC pipe.

Being that you're using a fatbike, you might be more interested in a LOG ROLLER, which is apparently a thing. You have to add the word fatbike to google that.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Flamingtaco;11340970]I used wind trainers until I was able to convince my wife to gift me a kreitler 4.5 with headwind attachment. I will never use a wind trainer again. Rollers are better trainers as they improve your balance and ability to hold a line, and they are super convenient as there's no setting up the bike each time you want to use them, you just put the bike on a
    Kreitler is super not cheap, but there are other brands like TACX, Cyclops, Minoura, Elite, Nashbar, Travel trac, etc, that have models as low as $150. There are also DIY instructables using PVC pipe.

Being that you're using a fatbike, you might be more interested in a LOG ROLLER, which is apparently a thing. You have to add the word fatbike to google that.[/QUote}
    Flamingtaco: I haven't been on rollers since the 70's when I was a road racer in the Chicago area. But that might serve me well.

mtbr member

Found used rollers

I found a set of older rollers for $75. It even has a rest to put the fork into so I won't have to worry about my balance. the only thing it I need to modify the bracket to fit the wider for. Thank goodness I have a friend who has access to the university's machine shop.
    On the ride front, we went out from 6:30 to 9 this morning on a trail in the nat'l forest. And I even looked for a campsite so we could go fishing and enjoy a day or two in the woods. found one on a bank of the creek so we can catch our dinner. (rainbow trout). I check my bp immediately after the ride and my heart rate and the results were good. 112/80 heart rate 80. Pretty good. However I do miss my fat bike. Had to push my 29er ss through some gravel that my daughter rode over on her dolomite. Luckily I didn't have the trailer with that would have made it impossible to go through the garvel towed by the Trek.

mtbr member

Hi Ho Neighborinos!

Beautiful day here in the Ozarks. Just got in from the Kaintuck hollow Trails. did a complete loop with the daughter and a friend who insisted that his sears 'mtn bike" BSO, could keep up with us. this fellow uses a womens bike that has really seen better days.he carried a patch kit with him and strapped a bell floor pump on the rear rack. His bile weighed in probably just shy of sixty pounds. I was on my trek Marlin 29er single speed and my daughter rode her dolomite. We had to stop four times for hime to patch his dry rotted tires and for him to catch his breath. Finally I handed him my tube and a spare presta adapter. He wanted to see the creek and had to carry his bike through a crossing and across a sand bar. We rode across the crossing and I walked about half the sandbar. Even on wet sand our bikes were ridden. He has old I mean old skinny tire 26" X 1.75" which were OK on hardpack but got really squirrely on the technical stuff. My bp post ride: 123/68 heart rate 70. BTW He said he won't ride with us again.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I generally feel healther then everyone around me. I kind of contribute that to my riding. I keep hearing people sigh and sound stressed out. Im just relaxed after a ride and usually good for a day or two depending on how hard I ride. It takes the stress out and is mentally toughening too. When you push yourself harder or to go bigger. The mental effect is huge

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Sounds like you've found the fountain of youth oldbear52.

I dropped from 335 lbs to 165 over the last couple of years. Cycling has made a huge difference, though haven't gotten a fat bike yet. Picking one up this fall though, can't take another Minnesota winter where I can't ride for months at a time.

Keep rockin'

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    335 > 165?!! Damn that's amazing. Heh, I dropped 9 pounds after getting my fatty but as my fitness levels got better and I got stronger I replaced it with muscle. I'm climbing things I've never been able to clean before and my average speed has nearly doubled on most of my rides over last year. Now if I could figure out how to breathe better and didn't have to stop to recover at the top of those climbs I'd be all set. I stopped smoking 15 months ago but still feeling the effects...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Congrats to you gravity and thanks for the kudos...been a journey for sure. The fear, of course, is backsliding....so easy to slip back into old habits. I probably need to add more muscle and the cycling is helping with that and that's why I'm really wanting to get something for our long winters. Been haunting the forums here looking for advice...hope there are some reps and trial opportunities at Tour De Fat here this weekend.

Smoking, been there and done that...it will get better but it takes awhile. I quit over 20 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did but I felt the consequences for at east five or six years after....

mtbr member
    Hi Everyone. glad to see so many newcomers to the thread. I just got weighed today at the clinic. 284lbs! may first I weighed 328. now almost 3 months later zi have lost 44 pounds and feel great. I don't have to walk up stairs one at a time and my oxygen content in my blood is 98%! Let me tell you hoe\w I have done this. Healthy eating, and cycling six days a week for two hours a day. The healthy eating I do is simple cut out fats and sugar and stop drinking non diet soda and tea. I keep water in the fridge and carry two water bottles. My snacks consist of fruits and baked chips. On the trail I eat granola bars and Jerky, ( a guilty pleasure). I allow myself one bowl of no sugar added ice cream a night and eat popcorn. I allow myself two non alcoholic beers a week and no wine. Today we rode two laps of Kaintuck Hollow loop and spent an hour fishing. caught four nice rainbows that we ate for dinner. served with oven baked steak fries and salad. so all of you keep riding. and get healthy.

Fat Boy rider
    It's great to see others using the fun of cycling to keep us healthy. As I get older, just the dynamics of balance alone has its challenges, and riding on two wheels helps improve psychological balance, too. I'm happy to see that you are using cycling to lose weight, too. Keep up the pumping!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I just read through the entire thread. Awesome to see so much enthusiasm for riding and the Fatties. Keep it going!
    Love cycling!
    MakeYourOwnBonus.com
    Don't confuse activity with accomplishment!

mtbr member

Good morning all!

I just got back from an early morning ride through the Lion's Club Trails spent a little over an hour in the saddle and we are going to St. James this evening to ride the trails over there. BP 120/80 Resting heart rate 60. Six days until I can order my new bike. I am anxious to get it and see how well I can rid eit. I am getting a Bikes Direct bike a gravity Bullseye Monster.

mtbr member
    Another sunny day here in the Ozarks. Spent the day fishing and biking with my daughter. I really feel so much better now that the weight is starting to go. Rode some excellent singletrack and fireroads near the creek. I have begun a regimen of drinking a f4ruiiy smoothie before the ride and eating oatmeal instead of eggs. I had my daughter tow the trailer to our campsite and chained it to a tree so we could ride awhile before fishing. My heart rate was 72 bpm and went up to 100 during the ride. We rode up a decent track that probably started out as a fisherman's foot path. then it went over a long gravel bar that I had to walk my bike. We ate a trout apiece and headed home to cook two more for my wife and son. I am getting anxious for the first. then wait for 7 days and I begin to ride a fat bike again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Oldbear, your posts are an inspiration to read. Keep on posting and I really hope you ride the crap out of your new bike. My 70 year old father rode my Minnesota 2.0 and loved it. I am considering buying a Night Train Bullet and giving my bike to him. If it keeps him active, then it is money well spent.

Happy riding!

Galen

mtbr member

Thanks Galen

Thanks Galen. I sort of use this thread to be my blog sort of. I am not that computer savy. My 9overall goal is inspire others to get off the couch and paved pathways into the dirt and better health. I hope you encourage your Dad and get him riding, because you are never to old to ride a bike. when I was 12 I used to cut grass in the next town over and rode a klunker to and from the jobs. It was in 1964. and I found that bike in a neighbor's trash. I rode it because I preferred it to a Schwinn 3 speed traveler my dad bought me earlier that summer. DFast forward 52 years later and I am still pedaling.

mtbr member
    You have truly inspired me and many others.
    Fat biking is one of the most entertaining ways to increase physical and mental fitness.
    I finally installed a few comfort items to my Dolo to give a more upright ride.
    I appreciate your motivation/inspiration.
    Fat Biking and health-dolo1.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-dolo6.jpg
    My ride is a lot more comfortable now.
    There is noticeably less stress on my shoulders and lower back now.

Keep up the good work and thank you.

__bob__

mtbr member

Lbs bs

My daughter and I went to another town to ride a rails to trails bike trail , the KATY to see what they has. I mentioned that I was getting a fat bike this month and the fella working there said fat bikes are just for winter and a big fad. I noticed that there were plenty of them (at least eight) on the KATY and told him they were a good all around bike for the money. He said he would only order tires and tubes on a as need basis and then he'd mark them way up. I left the store although I wanted to buy a pedal wrench he had in stock.
    Needless to say I left his store. We went back to the katy and rode 10 miles more Having a great time. I am ordering my Gravity Bullseye Monster Friday and then by next week it should be here I stopped at a friends ho8use and had lunch and they have a precision scale and I weighed myself, 283 is my current weight! By December I should be down to 200. My goal weight is 195. I want to thank everyone for ntheir kind comments. They make me want to write even more.

1913 BSA road bike
    1947 Schwinn klunker (old phantom)
    1983 miyata 710 road bike
    2012 Trek Marlin ss

mtbr member
    B y the way the Miyata 710 is a 1976.

mtbr member

I'm Back!

I'm sorry I haven't posted for awhile. I have been Offline for almost a month due to the fact I had surgery to replace my pacemaker. Band I also had no way to access the web. Got my new fat bike on July 5th and it's a Gravity Bullseye monster. I have been riding it everyday except for three days after my surgery on the on July 6. I am down to 282 lbs and I have been able to tackle some substantial hills to and from the trials at Lion's Club Park. I average 12 to 20 miles a day. My ride today was on a paved bike path here in town. My bp was 112/87 and my heartrate was 60 before the ride. mid point my heartrate went up to 110 and I felt pretty good. I checked my bp after the ride and it was 125/90 heart rate 60.

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011
    One big difference is I don't fall and get hurt like I do on skinny tires. Matters more as we age (53 here).
    I can't think of anything witty.

mtbr member
    Good afternoon all! Just got in from riding Lion's club trails and doing some light shopping. (had to pick up Ice cream and brownie mix) I rode two laps and then headed to krogers for the stuff. We rode a total of twelve miles today and my bp only went up slightly 125/89 heart rate 112. my Monster rides like a dream. I just might change the cassette in t6he rear to one a little more compatible to the hills we take on the way to the trailhead.

mtbr member

The waiting game.

It rained last ni8ght and early this morning here and I slept in until ten. . Visited friends and rode the Acorn Trail here in town. I will go to the cardiologist tomorrow to check on the pacemaker and get refills on my meds. My weight is now 281 and I feel good. We are playing the waiting game until the Lion's Club Park Trail dry out a bit more. I rode with some friends from a mosque and they all want fatbikes to take home to Saudi.Seems that they all bought Mongeese at wallyworld and a couple of them needed work. I was surprised how well the guys rode on them, Got the original wheels for the 1913 qnd some tires that were in my Dad's garage they are goodyear tires and are about 100 years old the bike hangs in the living room on a rack all cleaned up. The tires were wrapped in oilcloth and suffered minor rot. I hope to post pictures of the bikes soon.

mtbr member

A short absence again

I have been remiss in not posting, but I want to remedy that.
    We have been buy riding almost every day even in the heat. I now ride two laps around the trails at Lion's Club Park. Todays ride included some 'speed work', I tried intervals on a fat bike, lol.
    My BP at the start was 114/88 heart rate 60. After the two and a half hour session my bp was 126/89 with a resting heart rate of 65.
    The weather here in south central Missouri has begun to cool today it only hit around 78 and cleared off during the afternoon,

mtbr member

More weight loss

:Been to the doctor and my weight is now 278 and my oxygen level is up from 94 to 97 percent. Went for an early morning ride on a bike path then hit the trails about 10am, My heartrate hit 90 and when I got home after twenty minutes the rate was 56. I am amazed at what a couple of months of riding have done. I plan on getting a computer that I can use to not only keep track of milage but also record my heartrate and cadence. any body have any suggestions?I want to spend around $75 . We are planning to head to Sedona this winter if Beth can get the time off. I have seen pictures of the area and it rivals Moab. Althjough I love Moab and want to retire there. We used to live in Utah and at least once a month traveled to Moab during the Spring, early summer and fall. We haven't been there since '95 as we were working at a radio station as DJ's and Managers. At that time I had an old stumpjumper and would ride on the dirt roads surrounding the station. The station was off grid. (solar powered with propane generator back up.) It was in the SE missouri Ozarks and there was plenty of hills to conquer. If I had my fatbike back then I would have been using it to go hunting and fishing and snow riding.

mtbr member

Cataracts and surgery.

[I][/I Went to the eye doctor today to see about getting glasses. He examined my eyes and foung a large cataract.. Going to have surgery in November. Until then I will have to use reading glasses to read. I have trepidation about this and worry it will take me off my bike for a long time.
    I did ride today after the rain quit. rode out to Dolittle to see my daughter at work. 16 miles round trip. The trails were too muddy to ride so I rode on pavement. I had a nice sandwhich with her and met her boss. I found that the Gravity Bullseye Monster does handle exceptionally well on pavement especially down hill.
    My BP this morning was 114/72 on the beginning of the ride with a heart rate of 65. I checked when I finally got home was 128/82 with a resting heart rate of 60.

mtbr member
    No worries on the cataract surgery. I had both eyes done ten years ago. Down time for each was only a couple days. As far as the reading glasses get used to them as the surgery will keep your overall vision for you but there is a compromise as they replace your eyes lens with a plastic one that is basically a contac and has a set numerical reading. I.E. It does not adjust like your natural lenze when your eye tries to focus at different distances. They usually give you a lenze some where in the middle distance vision field for overall good vision but reading glasses are usually a must.

mtbr member

Cataracts and surgery pt 2

Gcappy: Thank you for your input. I had a friend that had cataracts removed and he has reading glasses and a pair to correct the other eye.
    Today I rode a lot around town. Had to go to the real estate office to add my son to the lease and then to pick up meds. I also visited the LBS to look at the Trek Farley they have there. It is the rigid model and it looks nice, but, almost 3k I just couldn't justify getting one unless I won the Powerball. LOL. I am riding better every time I got out. My cardiologist say that all the exercise shows in that I am getting muscle tone in my legs and my belly and neck are starting to shrink. I was even told by my wife that my face looks thinner. I sure do Feel much better. I rode the acorn trail today for two hours, It is paved and fairly flat . I really am hoping that the Lion's Club Trails dry out. Today was cooler and it felt like fall. It only hit around 70 today and tomorrow promises to be almost the same. I am getting anxious for fall to come. I am ready for cooler weather and changing colors. These Ozark hill only have color for about two weeks and the there is a bite in the air that requires tights and sweats and knit wool jerseys for riding. I even got beanie for inside the helmet. I will increase time in the saddle this week and maybe ride over to St. James to ride series of mtn bike trails over there. We haven't been to the Kaintuck trails lately because of my daughters work but maybe next thursday we'll go to check out the fishing. I also want to got to Steeleville to ride some trails there. There is a hiking/biking trails over there. I am searching for winter specific cycling clothes so when the first snow hits I will be ready to ride.
    Peace and remember to keep the rubber side down------Fred

mtbr member

Finally, some Kaintuck time.

It was a little chilly here today and my daughter stopped by to take me out for some trail time there were too many people on Lion's Club, so we headed out to Kaintuck and rode for about three hours. I bought a Oxygen sensor that also tells me my heart rate. My o2 level at the start was 98% and my hjeart rate was 62. at midpoint, my o2 was 96% and my heart rate was 95. and then at the end my o2 was95% and heart rate of 98. After we got ho0me I tested again and my o2 was 98 and my heart rate dropped to 64. I am getting stronger on the climbs and don't stand up to gain 'altitude'. Here in the Ozarks our climbs can go long and gradual or be short and brutal. we get a mixt5ure out by Kaintuck. I also get some climbing when I ride around town The area has some serious climbing especially if you ride south on RTte 63. I wouldn't try riding the road that way because there's lots of traffic and it seems even in bright green clothing you are invisible. I hope you all enjoy reading this as I do enjoy relating my riding experience with you all.

mtbr member
    ...I bought a Oxygen sensor that also tells me my heart rate....
    Tell me more about the oxygen sensor please. I haven't heard of those for cycling. Could be useful for monitoring training.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Tell me more about the oxygen sensor please. I haven't heard of those for cycling. Could be useful for monitoring training.

Velobike: My visiting nurse found me one and It was worn out. I looked at our local pharmacy and they had one for around 30 usd. It is small and fit ion a pocket. It reads your O2 level and pulse, (heart rate) by being placed on a finger. I have COPD and congestive heart failure and need to monitor blood pressure, Pulse , and O2 levels on a daily basis. PEACE AND FREEDOM FOR SCOTLAND, Fred

mtbr member

Ride of the day 9-14-14

Just got back from my daily ride. My bp is 146/84 and pulse is 81. Nice and cool 69 degrees and overcast. I rode out to LIon's club park and rode the trails , I found a center place that feels great. I got into a inner rythm and I rode two laps and even got up to a nice speed in the straights. I guess it takes time to recover some on bike skills and actually find some peace like I used to fifteen years ago. I was able to concentrate and not worry in the least about the bike. When I got my fatty I used to worry that it would self destruct like the wheels on my dolomite started to do. Mind you I don't ride like some of the reg mtn bikers do, I just ride at my own pace. I am looking forward to going to the Kaintuick next Thursday to ride and do some fishing. One of these days I hope to ride to Kaintuck and spend the night in the woods. I want to do this before the fall really sets in. spend a night and ride then come home. By the way my O2 level was 98 constantly during the ride and post ride. I really do hope that these posts help some folks. I haven't heard any feedback for quite some time. PEACE Fred (aka olbear52)

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I got a mongoose beast and dolomite.

Beast came first. I needed a way to build my knee back up after a knee injury. I was going to get a 29" mountain bike but then id have to load up the truck and drive somewhere. Our ride a cool bike after work daily which seemed healthy. Then pack on the 50 lb weight of the bike and it's a good workout. Best part is I can ride local without touching the vehicle.

mtbr member

A good workout indeed.

ImaBum: Cycling is, at least for me, an excellent workout. Although the Dolomite is a little on the heavy side, it can provide that platform you need. I started on a Dolo. I gave it to my son and my wife allowed me to buy my current fatty a Gravity Bullseye Monster. I too ride daily. I average 12 to 15 miles and have lost twenty pounds I usually ride on trails five days a week. I also use it for light shopping and errands around town. I did the same with the Dolo. I would encourage you ti keep up the exercise. It will do you knees some good and if you have unwanted pounds they will melt away.

mtbr member

BEST EXERCISE in the WORLD ( Cycling )

i am 45yrs of age & i have been riding sense i was 3yrs old.
    i work 3 days a week Sun Mon Tue .
    off on Wed Thur Fri Sat .
    on my work days . after work . me & wife ride 8 miles . our street that loops around in a circle is 4 miles . so we ride around it 2 times .
    on my days off we ride 40 to 60 miles around the Valley or other Cities .

& all that on this !!!
    FatAlbert333 Ride Ride & Ride & Ride Even More !!!

mtbr member

More EXERCISE

was riding from pier to pier back & forth from Santa Monica to Venice , in California . this is a clip from the end of the day after riding for 4hrs .

mtbr member

End of Day

end of day shots :

Fat Biking and health-beach-1.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-beach-2.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-beach-3.jpg

mtbr member

Neat Looking Fatty!

FatAlbert333: Neat looking bike! My son has a Beast and loves it. I admire what you have done with it and admire even more your dedication to cycling. My ride today was for four hours. Rode a bunch of loops on our local trail. Around six. My bike handling skills are coming back more and more every time I ride. I even did a track stand on the way home. I just can't wait to get a cycling computer to keep a record of my progress. That will come on the third. Keep on ridin'!

mtbr member
    FatAlbert333: Neat looking bike! My son has a Beast and loves it. I admire what you have done with it and admire even more your dedication to cycling. My ride today was for four hours. Rode a bunch of loops on our local trail. Around six. My bike handling skills are coming back more and more every time I ride. I even did a track stand on the way home. I just can't wait to get a cycling computer to keep a record of my progress. That will come on the third. Keep on ridin'!
    Thanks !!! & keep on Riding yourself . Eat Healthy Too !!! ......Lot of Fruits Veggies Grains Nuts & Sea Food Too !!! ..... i have been drinking silk almond banana milk shakes since i was 5yrs of age .....Every morning i put in my pitcher of my blender = 2 bananas 2 raw eggs & almond milk filled half way & Yum Yum !!! .....You could do 1 & 1 & almond milk if You dont have any problems with Dairy ....... Latrz Gatrz & BEAST OUT !!! .....when You have a chance check out my Forum . Its Dedicated to all MONGOOSE FAT BIKES . (MONGOOSE FAT BIKES - Index ) ...... My YouTube channel Name is ( VeeDubzBugz )

mtbr member

My longest ride yet.

Today I took my longest ride yet. Started at 9am and was gone until 6pm. I rode to St. James and did some laps on the Mtn Bike trails there. I also stopped at a church in toiwn to go to their giveaway of clothes and had a breakfast with milk, apple juice and pancakes. I also rode a piece of road out of St. James that took me back to Rolla and enjoyed all the Miles I put on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    ImaBum: Cycling is, at least for me, an excellent workout. Although the Dolomite is a little on the heavy side, it can provide that platform you need. I started on a Dolo. I gave it to my son and my wife allowed me to buy my current fatty a Gravity Bullseye Monster. I too ride daily. I average 12 to 15 miles and have lost twenty pounds I usually ride on trails five days a week. I also use it for light shopping and errands around town. I did the same with the Dolo. I would encourage you ti keep up the exercise. It will do you knees some good and if you have unwanted pounds they will melt away.
    Thankfully weight wise Iím spot on. Could use a few pounds if anything. But yes the bike is heavy and great workout. Which is good for me. Canít be an out of shape LEO. And pushing a 50lb bike on the daily sure does help with endurance. When I run itís like my upper body is trying to keep up with me legs. haha!

mtbr member

Way to go!

Way to go, ImaBum! . I am proud that you are using your Dolo as a tool for fitness. There are things you can do to reduce the weight of the Dolo. Go to the Bikesdirect website and order a pair of the Mission tires and maybe change the tubes. I put a used pair of Surly Larry tires on my Dolo and it really made a difference. On my current bike I am waiting for spring for new tires. Probably go with some 45North Huskerdu's. or maybe I will get a pair for Christmas. lol As far as my own health and fitness goes I am down to 281 and my Heart doctor can see marked improvement in the muscles of my legs. I do need to get some cycling shorts with padding as the shorts I am using are basically built for swimming. (my butt gets a little sore.) I hope to get down to 200 by February. I eat sensibly and watch my salt intake and don't eat refined sugar. and watch my carbohydrate intake. I have Diabetes and Congestive Heart Failure, and monitor my vitals every time I ride. At 62 I feel like I am getting in better shape.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hey thatís pretty damn good dude! Hopefully you get there. I donít see why not. Youíre a young buck that can ride so pedal on. Pedal on!

Are you retired or limited work? I think using a bike provides a good few good outlets. Not only to provide great rewards in the health department but also allowing you to explore and see the sights and sounds around you. All while keeping you active and busy.

I personally donít mind the weight as much. These are the first two bikes Iíve purchased/rode in roughly 15 years. So with the lack of memory of how it ďused to beĒ back in the day - the weight doesnít seem like much of an issue. Iím more of a slow go and enjoy the view kinda guy. Iím not looking for speed and enjoy pushing the weight around.

However for my Beast I may upgrade the tires/tubes as I live in a hilly area and I enjoy riding the Beast around the neighborhood with my girl so having a little less weight to push for 5-10 miles would be a welcome.

mtbr member
    'Back in the day'? lol I can remember the first Mountain bikes that came out. We owned a pair of Bianchi Grizzlies in '84. I sold a road racing bike to get. Those were traded off because I had warranty problems with the frame on min*/e.As far as my other Mountain Bikes go I have owned GT's, Redline Scott, specialized, Trek and now my gravity Bullseye Monster.

mtbr member

Retired

ImaBum: I am a retired Radio DJ/Mechanical assembler. I retired from the broadcast iondustry in 2006 after close to 15 years on the air. I suffered my second heart attack and mini stroke in 2005 and my Doctor wanted me to tale it easy and get into an airconditioned building. I don't regret retiring and sometimes I miss being on the air but life goes on and now I just take it one day at a time. my wife is disabled and I am her caregiver part time.

Today was a restday. My legs were sore from riding so much yesterday. I am looking at chamios lined shorts to relieve some of the chaffing too.

I also started saving for a motobecane Lurch with a bluto fork. once I get 600 saved my son is going to make up the difference by buying my Gravity Bullseye Monster. it will be an early birthday present sometime early in 2015. (February or March). I guess you'd say I am addicted to cycling! Peace and lotsa miles to all.Fred

mtbr member

A good day.

I spent four hours riding today. found a bunch of back road gravel and rode following them and riding some trails that led to a creek. I think I found a new fishing area. the water was sure cold enough.

I hit 279 today too.

On another note, I am glad that someone got rid of post that a fella wrote complaining about Fat Bikers that use frame bags and ssuch. way to go to the powers that be

mtbr member
    Great job, keep it up!
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2015 GT Grade 105

mtbr member
    Love reading this thread and hearing about your weight loss and enjoying it.

mtbr member

A short hospiyal stay.......

I just got released from the Hospital........I had a minor stroke and had to stay for two days. I've mostly recovered from it except my left arm has slight weakness. The staff at the Medical Center were wonderful and took excellent care of me. The big thing is that we found out that instead of operating at 25%-35% my heart has improved to the point where it functions at 35%-45%! It owe it all to fat biking and a wise diet. The only bummer is I can't ride for two more days. So stay tuned for more information as it becomes availiable.

mtbr member
    Also I am down to 275 pounds.

mtbr member
    I just got released from the Hospital........I had a minor stroke and had to stay for two days. I've mostly recovered from it except my left arm has slight weakness. The staff at the Medical Center were wonderful and took excellent care of me. The big thing is that we found out that instead of operating at 25%-35% my heart has improved to the point where it functions at 35%-45%! It owe it all to fat biking and a wise diet. The only bummer is I can't ride for two more days. So stay tuned for more information as it becomes availiable.
    Hope you feel better and recover completely. I am loving this thread because I can relate a little. You take care of yourself and keep the rubber side down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Oldbear, rest up and heal up, and then get back out there.

mtbr member
    Great thread Oldbear and happy to hear you are out of the hospital (wishing you better days). I'm 56 and way fat with a right knee that is bugging me. After reading your thread and others I decided to buy a matte black bullseye monster. I am hoping to join the "Getting Healthier" club real soon.

PS- Listen to your Dr's, my pops has a defib and I know just how important it is to follow orders!

mtbr member

A little revision........

I just looked at my discharge papers and found out that my final weight upon leaving the hospital was 269! I need to buy an accurate scale to use at home. Tequilasunset: when I first began this quest I weighed in around 313. I really encourage you to keep on riding and make sure your bike is set up for your own body type. Make sure the saddle is level and that you have it set so you can effectively pedal. My own rule of thumb, at least for me is that the saddle tip comes up to my tailbone (roughly 27"). As an old school dirthead I set up the saddle so that when my foot is on the pedal in the six o'clock position that my kneecap lines up with the ball of my foot when the ball is over the axle. Annnd I set up the saddle so that the tips of my fingers rest across the stem touching the front of the stem when the arm is placed against the tip of the saddle and extended towards the bars. It's a little old school but it works for me. I am 6'1" with an inseam of 32. and by the way I am 62. but when I am on my bike I feel like I did out in Utah 19 years ago. Thanks for all the kind comments. PEACE! Fred

mtbr member
    So oldbear52, how are you feeling and have you been able to get back on your bike yet? I hope you are feeling better. Keep up the nice play and weight loss.

mtbr member

Just tonight and then I ride!

robertdavid: Tomorrow I ride. Short trip to Lion's Club Park and the trails there . Maybe one lap. Except for a stinky running nose I feel pretty good the weakness has left the left side of my body so I ready to go. I JUST CAN'T WAIT!

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you are feeling better. Take care and keep us/me posted on your progress.

mtbr member

First day back!

I finally got back on the bike and tearing up the trails, sort of. I rode about 25 miles today and it felt GREAT! I rode the lions club trails and some gravel roads with the daughter. My BP was 118/89 when I started with a pulse of 65. I noticed that some of the hills aren't as steep as I am getting into better shape. I love the stares and some of the questions thrown my way. The majority of comments are about the bikes tires and their aboloity to ride over stuff. When we got home and after a twenty minute rest my BP was back down to 118/87 and my pulse was 70. We are planning a trip to Moab next spring as soon as my buddy gets his car and Bike. (aGravity Bullseye Monster of course). We also plan to ride part of an old rr bed down in the Durango area from a Rail Road that died in 1951 called the Rio Grande Southern. We will first doi a training ride on the KATYT Trail a rail to trail conversion that runs from St. Charles Mo. t

mtbr member
    to sedalia Mo. We will ride the portion that runs from Jefferson City to Columbia Mo. It will be a good stretch of our legs. It is fairly flat with sections that run parallel to the Missouri River. It is fine gravel so you get all kinds of cyclists. No one rides it in winter so I might take the bike up then. until tomorrow ride on! Fred

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you are back in the saddle. Have fun but listen to your body.

mtbr member

Thanks

Thanks Robertdavid. I just fell good. No soreness ans no red ring about the bum either. You know it takes time to 'toughen' up the posterior. My legs don't get as wobbly after the rides either. Now when Wednesday comes around I have to buy a home scale to keep a record of my weight.

mtbr member

Another day another 25 miles.

I rode out to Dolittle and back today and found even more gravel to shred. Had a nice sandwich and a diet Dr. Pepper cherry. The ride has got a couple hills that I am starting to be able to ride over. and alrhough it's on pavement I isn't all that bad. My BP this morning was 120/84 and Pulse was 70. after I got home I checked it again and found It was 136/69 ans after twenty minutes my Pulse was back down to 70
    I will see how much I have lost tomorrow as I visit my Doctor. until then Happy Trails to you all.

Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast