Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Fat Biking and health

I am starting this thread to allow some of us a way to share our rides and the benefits we gain from our rides healthwise. I am a 62 yr old cyclist that has weighjt and health issues. I ride a bout six days a week on local bike paths and trails . I have congestive heart failure (chf), diabetes type 2 and arthritis. When I first got back into cycling I weighed 329 lbs. Currently (3 months later) I am down to 289 lbs and My health has shown marked improvement. My bike that I ride currently is a Mongoose Dolomite. I used to ride a Marlin singlespeed but I need more a wider range of gears for my arthritic knees. Being on a fixed income I couldn't afford an expensive fat bike so I swallowed my pride and bought a big box store bike.

A Surly Maverick
    Welcome OB52

Sounds like you are having fun and getting healthy, an awesome combo !

Fat bikes ironically have the opposite effect on their riders ....... they also lead to over developed 'smile' muscles

Cheers,
    Dr FG
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    We have found that If we ride one to two hours we recover quickly compared to some of the one hour rides we did on 26" x 2,0" hardtails. We ride three different trails that our in our area. All have varying difficulties.
    My background in cycling in the dirt goes back to The Mid 60's when our subdivision near Chicago Illinois had some undeveloped tracts of land. like a lot of guys in the era we used bikes to get around and while most of them used 20" bike I decided to try an old Phantom. Fast forward to 1983. I discovered Mt. Bikes and I was hooked.
    I have ridden ever since except for two years after om first heart attack. I have found that riding helps me recover much faster now. My recovery after a ride takes fifteen to twenty minutes. -and my resting heart rate is around 56-60 bpm compared to 75-78 bpm.

mtbr member
    Way to go old bear. I'm an old guy too. Biking, along with healthy eating, is a great way to get back in shape. Good luck reaching your goals. If that's all you can afford, ride that dolomite with pride and give yourself credit for getting off the couch.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I hope to keep riding in my 60s like you. Keep it up!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks Guys for all the encouragement! I just checked my blood pressure and pulse rate and at three in the morning it is 115/67 rate is 54. The reason I'm up so early is that my hand is throbbing. I have a pacemaker/defibulator unit in my chest and it misread my heart the rhythm of my heart and went off Monday, putting me in the hospital until 4pm Tuesday. seems I have an infection where the IV was pulled out. So I just soaked the hand in hot5 water and now the throbbing is subsiding. the neat thing is that with my new bike I don't feel the pain as much when I ride.
    Adventure Rider; you will discover that no matter how old you are never to old to ride. My great uncle rode until he was 83. He raced in the 'old days' 1911 to 1925 on an old BSA fixed gear bike with no brakes! he was doing the Olympic trials back in the 20's and got the flu and missed his chance. could true wheel just by spinning them in his hands. He is the reason I ride today. He helped me strip down my '47 Schwinn and even put a 20's Brooks saddle on it. My sister has his 1913 BSA road bike with wheels he built6 and She doesn't know what to do with it. All it needs is a good cleaning and new tires. the only reason he quit riding because the streets in Chicago were getting a little hairy. Annnd i bet if he was alive today he'd be riding a Fat Bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    40 lbs in 3 months is an incredible accomplishment!!! Keep up the hard work and keep us updated!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks thunderzy!
    Due to the fact that I have some restrictions due to to hot and cold temperatures, (no riding outside above 93 and below 25 before wind chill).I was wondering if anyone has heard of a wind trainer that could fir the Dolomite's tire? I wan to use the same tire and gearing indoors as I use outdoors. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    We went riding at 6:30am and put in around four miles on a trail close to the house. my pulse before riding was 59 and my blood pressure was 112/78. at midpoint the heart rate had hit 110 and blood pressure was 130/85 after a half hour of rest my puilse was 60 and the blood pressure was 114/79.
    I am pleasantly surprised bny my recovery rate.

All fat, all the time.
    That's great! Keep on riding!

I had to take a physical couple years ago, Doc said "whatever you are doing, just keep doing it!"

......sweet.....mountain biking & drinking beer. check! lol. Amazing what regular rides will do for your body. Not only physical though, but mentally as well. My stress levels drop significantly after a good ride. No worries about the usual junk like work & stuff.
    The more you ride, the easier it gets........
    the easier it gets, the more you ride.
    Viscous circle

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    ...Due to the fact that I have some restrictions due to to hot and cold temperatures, (no riding outside above 93 and below 25 before wind chill)....
    I'm curious about those restrictions and the reason for them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    alphazz- Only about 45% of my heart beats unassisted. the rest is supporte0d by pacemaker. I was told that extremes of any outside temperature can adversely affect my Pacemaker/defib unit. What I have is referred to "left ventricular bundle damage". Right now we are having weather that is unusually cool for Missouri. the current temperature is 77. The usual temperature is around 80 to 90. It's nicve now but next week we go back into the 90's. So my rides will be early morning or just before sunset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Beer, it does afat biker good

Shark- Beer is good but unfortunately I have to drink non alcoholic beer. My daughter buys me some and a sixer of bud light for her. I am on so much meds that I can't run the risk of alcohol and drug interaction. lol. Annnnd my biggest worry is makling sure my wife takes her meds. I retired from the radio broadcast industry and now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Good job, oldbear52! I am a few years older than you, with a degenerative joint problem in my hip. My doctor told me to go out and ride to the limits of my pain threshold. He said, "You can't make it worse, unless you fall." I ride three or four times a week, and darned if my hip doesn't feel better after a ride. Fat biking is the fountain of youth!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

joint problems.

I too have some joint problems, Mainly my knees and lower back. riding keeps my knees nimble and the upright position of the Dolomite keeps the back pain to a minimum. I used to wear a back brace but as I went down in weight, my heaviest was 345, the need for support disappeared. Plus my Doctor took me off some meds that caused all that weight gain. I was on some anti depressant meds that pile on the weight because it caused me to eat more plus my diet was high in fat. Now we have teflon pans and we use no oil to cook. Eating sensibly really helps. I even cut refined flour and sugar from my diet. We use stevia and when a recipe calls for it raw sugar SPARINGLY. My usual after ride snack is a healthy granola bar and smart water. I do cheat sometiomes and bring along some dark chocolate and peanuts. We usually have a glass of whole milk after the ride or if I can find it Goats milk.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I said whole milk because I was raised on raw milk from a farm near our house and I just love the taste. Besides I read in a Goat keeping book that when raw milk goes through pasturization and homoginzationn it releases a substance harmful to the heart. Besides 1% or skim milk tastes like chalk water to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Re: Fat Biking and health

Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Shark- Beer is good but unfortunately I have to drink non alcoholic beer. My daughter buys me some and a sixer of bud light for her. I am on so much meds that I can't run the risk of alcohol and drug interaction. lol. Annnnd my biggest worry is makling sure my wife takes her meds. I retired from the radio broadcast industry and now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats.
    All I can say is keep riding when you can. You might want to look into juicing vegetables and fruits. There is a good documentary on Joe cross you might want to watch:

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com. He used this mean green juice recipe..

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/mean-green-juice/

Ask your doc first though of course. Just something that kind of worked for me for losing some pounds. I just juice once a day though I never tried a juice fast.

mtbr member
    Great job, keep it up!
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    Wanting a Cross Bike.
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nice thread! I was about to ask something similar. I was about to ask if "fat bikes would be okay for persons over 50." I guess now I have my answer. Thanks!

I have an uncle, used to ride a lot when he was in his 30's... now he's 51, and is sometimes suffering from arthritis. I persuaded him to try out biking again... but seeing that he now lives outside of the city, where there's more dirt roads than paved ones, I thought that a fat bike would be ideal (instead of a regular mtb). So 2 weeks ago, he tried out a surly pugsley, and he was smiling all over the whole day.

He's now planning to buy his first fat bike. Just undecided at the moment if its going to be steel or aluminum for the frame. (for some reason... he doesn't like carbon).

cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Diffy- At 62 I find that my Fat Bike Rides just as easy as the bikes I rode as a preteen. After you get the psi down to a happy medium to cover the type of terrain you are going to ride. My Dolo seems to function best at 8 to 10 psi on our trails. I think your uncle should enjoy the extra 'cushioning' effect the big tires provide. We have a small compressor that operates off the truck battery and fills the tires pretty quick when I need to go up for pavement. This morning we rode from 6am to 8am and I found all my stats are holding . and my weight is steady at 288. So encourage your uncle to go fat he won't regret is. I enjoy the family aspect of the rides.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Reminds me to get out for a pre dawn ride Sunday, for many of the above reasons; good for what ails you.
    "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" John Wayne

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    My ride this morning was at a series of trails in the next town over. We rode on some moderate trails staying away from a black diamond that is loaded with rock gardens. My bp at the start was 110/77 and heart rate was 65. mid way my heart rate hit 127 and we couldn't check the bp as we travel 'light'. post ride my bp was 126/79 and recovery heart rate was 80. twenty five minutes later It was back down to 65. had a celebratory meal of bananas over cheerios with some goat milk from a friends herd. annnd I had an eight ounce glass for it to treat myself. My son from Jefferson city is coming down tonight and we plan on taking him on an easy ride on the Lion's club trail. He is 27 and is 'inheriting' my Trek Marlin SS. He wants it to ride to and from work and on trails at Binder Lake. He just quit smoking and tried running to work but his knees can't take it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    By 'traveling light ' We carry the bare minimum to keep us moving and a home blood pressure machine is like a luxury. We carry an extra tube, tire irons, small crescent wrench, and a small first aid kit, for hydration we carry a Camelback 70oz pack that doubles for a pack to carry our stuff. on the bike we carry 24oz waterbottles in a alloy cage. We also carry granola bars in case on of us hits 'the wall'. Around town, like for shopping trips, we ditch the pack in favor of the bottle and we have a trailer I bought years ago for $75 at a shop in Utah. we use 26" tires and it has a capacity of 100#. We are beginning to do most of our grocery shopping on a bike. My wife who is disabled rides in her power wheelchair and I ride with her on my Fat Bike. We used our bikes as our primary means of transport when we lived in Price Utah in the early 90's. It was something to see us go to the grocery store. all six of us. My wife on her diamondback, me on my gt, my daughter on her bridgestone, my Middle son on his haro bmx and the other two boys iin the trailer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Just got back from 45 minutes of riding fun. My son came down and picked up the Trek. Then my sister stopped by on her way to Branson and brought me a present the 1913 BSA. I aired up the tires on the steel wheels and rode it around the parking lot. I measured the wheelbase and found it to be 45". it looks long and low compared to a road bike of today. As soon as I find some reproduction sewups it is going to get a good cleaning and will be placed on display in the living room along with the Schwinn Phantom klunker. That means we have to store at least two bikes. That BSA is a piece of cycling art and History. I even got his wool knickers, sweater with the Humbolt Park Cycling Club patch,cap and shoes. I twill be a family memorial to my great uncle and the man that continues to influence me from heaven. I will post sopme pics of that bike as soon as I clean it up. And not only that my brother-in-law who is an avid cyclist too, rode the Dolomite and wants a fatbike too. It's an addiction I love to spread.

NYC Rollin Fattyz
    Hi Fat Bikers!!
    I am new to the forum and new to Fat Tire Biking! I've been Fat Biking in NYC - Manhattan, for nearly two months now. I must tell you that my Fat Bike is Transforming my body!! For over 20 years, my pants waist size has been 36W. My waist is now size 32W. I am blown away. I have had Male Fat Belly Syndrome since I was in my late 30s. I just turned 49 last week and my belly is disappearing. Those fat rolls in my back are no longer rolls. My shirts hang differently now in the front. Last night, I was laying all over my couch watching TV. Wanting to change the channel, I had to raise up a bit to reach the remote control on the coffee table over there....as I raised up my left leg to thrust myself up into a sitting position, I saw all kinds of muscles jump out of my leg that I do not remember seeing there before. I was blown away. Living in NYC, I generally take subways everywhere. In my neighborhood, the subway is elevated and there are three sets of stairs I have to climb to get to the subway platform. Usually, that last set of stairs has me cussing under my breaths because my legs are burning and screaming at me at the same time. At the top of the stairs, I'm usually huffing and puffing like I sprinted a marathon or something. Yesterday, I ran up all three flights of the stairs nonstop, two steps at a time. Once I got to the top, no huffing....no puffing and my legs acted like nothing was going on. I was blown away. This Fat Tire Bike is Transforming my body!! I do not know if I would have achieved the same results had I just bought one of them skinny tire, urban bikes like my LBS was encouraging me to do....maybe....But this Fat Bike is doing stuff to me and I like it!! Did I mention that I am experiencing noticeable changes in my endurance and stamina too? I am blown away.
    Once You Go Fat.....You'll Never Go Back!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Phil:
    Welcome to the thread! sounds like you are progressing nicely. Keep it up! Seems that Fat Biking isn't just for the young. I hope you keep an eye on that bike. lol
    My doctor this week took me off any oxygen even as an emergency measure. My 02 level holds steady at 98% It only drops two percent when I am riding. (I bought a 02 pulse meter. ) But running up three flights of stairs sounds excellent! And your waist size is a good sign too. Just keep up the good work and ejoy your bike.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast