Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1858646566676869 LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,400 of 3416
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Ok I had a little tune up done. Last Saturday I had another cardiac episode and wound up hopitalized. They did a stress test followed by a cath. Funny thing I during the Cath they found out there wasn't as much damage to my heart as the stress test showed. They just removed plaque and were done. The cardiologist has prescribed daily rides too. Lol. So that's where I'm at. Ride report to follow.
    Until Later
    OLDBEAR
    The cardiac doc prescribed a daily dose of fat... I like it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    This morning was a bit chilly but I wanted to ride anyway, so I layered a few things on and set off for the usual Saturday morning walk and breakfast gathering.

Two miles from home, there was a little bit of tree sheddings in the bike lane and as I rode through them, I saw something sparkle as it flung away from me. Hmm. Sure enough, a quarter mile on, my steering felt weird and I stopped, watched my front tire deflate slowly. Called my partner, already down on the walk, and he zipped up to fetch me.

We took the front wheel off and stowed the bike into his car. it was just ten so we went straight over to the bike shop; they'd just opened. The guy I talked to the other day took my wheel, checked the tire for damage (none, just a tiny puncture in the center of the tread and a bit of glass), looked at the tube (the puncture had grown into a split/tear). So he put in a fresh tube, pumped it up, I paid, and off we went back to have breakfast with the boyz. F needed to take off for an appointment forty minutes later, we pulled the bike out of his car and I refitted the wheel.

I can't really believe how light these wheel/tire assemblies are. The wheel almost floated away in the breeze!

So while he headed off, I hopped back on the bike and enjoyed a nice five-plus mile ride back home. Utterly uneventful, it's getting easier and easier to just do basic riding. I rode about 30-40% of the way with the electrics off even.

A fine day, despite having a flat. I charged up the bike and my lights when I arrived home so everything's ready if tomorrow's weather looks good.

G

mtbr member

Riding Fat

One of my kids attends Tiffin University and has made friends with a bunch of the members of the soccer team. The international students on the team were unable to make the trip home for Easter so we invited them to stay with us. We borrowed some bikes and took them to Alum Creek State Park trails. They traded off riding different bikes.

These are young athletes who are capable of going fast and are in good shape, but they ALL preferred the riding the fat-bike. There is something about it. Fat Biking and health-riding-p1.jpgFat Biking and health-thumbs-up-p2.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Ok I had a little tune up done. Last Saturday I had another cardiac episode and wound up hopitalized. They did a stress test followed by a cath. Funny thing I during the Cath they found out there wasn't as much damage to my heart as the stress test showed. They just removed plaque and were done. The cardiologist has prescribed daily rides too. Lol. So that's where I'm at. Ride report to follow.
    Until Later
    OLDBEAR
    So your doc read my signature...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    Saturday's Ride Report:

Destination: Atsion Ranger Station, Atsion, NJ to Batsto, NJ. Then, taking the 19 mile Penn Branch Mountain Biking Trail, ending up at the start point at Batsto Village. Then back to Atsion Ranger Station.

Mileage: To be estimated at 38 (lost my figure sheet)
    Weather: Partly cloudy, breezy. Cool at end of day, windy.

Notes: I've always wanted to try the Penn Branch Trail inside Wharton State Forest. This is a near 20 mile run of tight, single track trail, seemingly several thousand turns. It's near 10 miles of pedaling from Atsion to Batsto, on sand roads to just get to the Penn Branch. Then it's another near 20 on the trail, followed up with another near 10 miles to get back to the truck........Wildlife observed: 2 heards of big white tail deal racing in the forest after hearing or seeing me........The neatest one was coming upon a full grown wild turkey on the trail, which raced off as soon as I came upon it..........Here's a video of another mountain biker's trip on the Penn Branch Trail: Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8dU6IkntSc ..............I'll be honest; my attention span was waning as I was getting tired, so it was easy to brake too hard or too late if I got a bit of speed going (which btw, is almost impossible to do for myself as there are so many twists and turns on this course).......One more interesting link of the Penn Branch Trail, Wharton State Forest: The Penn Branch Trail

And Sunday's Ride Report:

Destination: Homebase to Delanco, NJ 100 percent asphalt riding

Mileage: 31.2 miles
    Average Speed: 14.9 mph Max speed: 21.8 mph
    Battery percentage remaining: 38%
    Weather: Sunny, very warm. Near 80 degrees at end of ride. Breezy going down to Delanco, wind at my back on the way home.
    Haibike Full FatSix Odometer Reading: 823 miles

Notes: Only thing of note to report is that I saw a 4 foot black Northern Racer Snake in the middle of the hot asphalt of River Road on the way back......One car passed over it in going by. I stopped the bike and went out to it, trying to coax it off the road way. The snake was fairly aggressive, trying to bite my front tire as I used it to scoot it along. Finally, at the side of the road, a car came back and the driver asked if I had gotten bitten. I said, No, just trying to get this snake off the road before it gets killed. I found a stick and managed to lift the guy up and tossed him back further into the brush, hopefully away from the road. This brush area is a few dozen feet close to the Delaware River. So there you go, had I not been there, this critter would most definitely had been runned over by a car.........Which brings to mind the poor beaver I saw on the side of the road, killed by a car, down outside Delanco, near a swamp. This swamp abuts right up to the road and this poor critter never had a chance. Full sized beaver at that. A shame......

Pictures from Good Friday's run will get out, with hope, tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I don't post much, but I'm still riding my bike fairly often, just not as long as I'd like. I'm on Harvoni for my Hep C and cirrhosis, which has a side effect of fatigue. I'm also a type 2 diabetic and have high blood pressure. I notice the fatigue, but it's not too bad. It just really hamstrings me as far as taking any longer rides... which for me is only 5 miles or more. Most I've gone so far is just under 8 miles.

I'm not exceptionally heavy (5'9" 205 lbs), but just do not have the strength or endurance at this point.

I've put just over 100 miles on the bike since I got it in February. I love riding the bike, have made a change to 1 up (32 oval with 11/40 10 speed), gearing seems perfect for me. I also have a 30T round chainwheel I've tried, but I prefer the 32T oval. I'm probably making way too many changes for the few miles I have on the bike, but I enjoy wrenching on the bike almost as much as riding it!

I'll keep at it and will eventually get to the point where longer rides will be easier and hopefully second nature.

I'm very happy that I decided to get a fat bike, the choice is perfect for me.

FB&H rider
    Good to see the reports from everyone! Especially nice to see oldbear back.
    And the first of my bike purchase stuff arrived today in the form of my Chester pedals. I think today was the day that Willo was packaging up my Growler. I haven't heard yet if it's in route. :-) Had a nice long weekend, with volleyball and riding.
    Stay fat, all!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Hey from DownUnder...

Hi everyone, great to see the your weather is getting better, your Doctor is getting you back on the bike, you are converting young ones to Fat Biking and your building new bikes as well

I think that about covers it since my last post hereabouts.

Had some great rides over Easter, not on the Fat Bike though

Some long road rides and a spin on the Mountain bike in great weather after a run of rainy weeks.

The poor Trek must be a little sorry for itself left in the corner of the bike rack. A present arrived today which is for the Farley alone, should bring a smile to its face.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00389.jpg

That will make mid ride pressure changes a breeze.

Not sold here in OZ and arrived only 7 days after ordering from Wiggle, thats over Easter. Its the first time I have ordered online and with service like that its easy to see why the local bike shop struggles to compete.

Time to unpack it and see how it works, and the Farley might be of the rack and into the wild this weekend.

Good health and riding to all...
    Last edited by Surly in OZ; 1 Week Ago at 04:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nice pump! Is there anyway to mount it to the bike? Or is it a frame bag only pump?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi mate, I have put mine in a Specialized frame bag. It's a nice fit and will keep it out of the sand that I ride. I believe that Banshee has his frame mounted.

Just tried it for the first time, and it makes short work of airing up fat tyres.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cdn11 View Post
    Nice pump! Is there anyway to mount it to the bike? Or is it a frame bag only pump?
    With the size of the pump being rather fat, Lezyne didn't provide a mount. The concern was frame bag interference.
    Since I don't like my bike feeling like a boat anchor, I don't use a frame bag, so...
    Fat Biking and health-img_0575.jpg

Hafta say, this pump has been a Godsend! Now it's more likely to adjust trie pressure as needed as opposed to just riding with the pressure more than the terrain requires. Even tried it to inflate my 5.05's. Was expedient, indeed.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the pic! It looks like you've made your own custom bracket. Nice job.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I have been looking for a pump for the fat bike... This one looks great!

I see the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HP-HPG and Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV-HVG models available. I'm presuming that the HV models are the right ones for fattie tires (26x4.00)?

thx!
    G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    It warmed up and stopped raining yesterday afternoon. I went out for a brief ride ... and "brief" is now getting up to 5-6 miles. Progress!

The two backpacks I ordered have arrived. The large one is an px urbanwear Invisible Backpack Two ... Great for when I go somewhere on bike or train (or both) for a day with space for everything I might want to carry. The other is a Timbuk2 Rapid Pack ... Light, small (actually a little small for my shoulders but still comfortable) for when I'm just going for a short ride and need a way to carry the minimum junk around. It can also take a hydration pack, with routing for the water tube.

So I tested the Rapid Pack on the ride yesterday with a fairly full load in it (camera, iPad, overshirt in case I felt chilly, keys, wallet, iPhone). Thumbs Up ... I hardly noticed I had it on, and it didn't cause me to sweat excessively.

I did 5.5 miles, no pain, felt great ... I only turned back because traffic was getting nutty and I had plans to meet a friend for dinner and it was too far to ride in the time I had. The Sumo is working extremely well for me.

G
    Last edited by ramarren; 1 Week Ago at 04:28 PM.

FB&H rider
    Sweet Ramarren!
    I agree, there's quite a few here that really like the racks and bike bags... that's cool and all, but I usually only need a backpack and am not going on any long hauls ... yet. That day may come, but for now a small backpack is all I need. I just picked up https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - got it for $45 (not $78) and have used it a couple times on shortish rides. Works great for carrying my phone/wallet, some water, and my little toolset (and can take a hydration pack as well - I may just transfer my camelback pack over when my daughter isn't riding with me). I still need to pick up a Lezyne as well which will fit in there just fine.
    Yesterday my raceface pedals got here (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ($64) and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) - the Chesters will go on my Trek and the Aefffect will go on my Growler.
    Have a few other things inbound but still waiting on Willo for the ship date on my Growler!

Side note on ordering from Amazon: put them in your cart and wait for them to go on sale
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cdn11 View Post
    Thanks for the pic! It looks like you've made your own custom bracket. Nice job.
    PVC pipe and standard weight innertube lining. Pump snaps in very securely.

Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post

I see the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HP-HPG and Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV-HVG models available. I'm presuming that the HV models are the right ones for fattie tires (26x4.00)?

thx!
    G
    Either HV or XL. The XL is a Godsend, indeed!
    GLad to hear you are seeing progress. That should be very inspirational as well.
    Keep at it and enjoy da fat!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

thx!
    G
    Hi mate I have the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV, it works ok for the Fat Bikes. However the Micro Floor Drive XL nocks it out of the park. The difference of the rate of inflation is night and day. If you want a pump for a Fat Bike get the XL.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thank you both! I'll be ordering one of those XL pumps. Looks like just the ticket.

I've been doing the exercises my physical therapist recommended and it is definitely getting easier to do a rolling mount/dismount. Yay! A static mount/dismount is still beyond me but I'm sure it will happen.

I've managed to get out on the bike every day this week other than Monday. Wed, Thurs, and today it was an eight mile round trip to the cafe for my afternoon coffee. I've been checking my times there and back as some measure of my progress. First time was 25 minutes each way, second time was 15 minutes one way, 20 minutes back, third time was 12 minutes one way... I'm at the cafe now: given how my legs feel, I suspect it will be 15 minutes back. The little Rapid Pack is doing a great job for this. Even though it's a snug fit, it holds just enough for this kind of bashing about. Between the two backpacks, I may well just take the rack off and save it for when I'm up to a longer jaunt with panniers. The bike looks prettier without it.

My foot doctor worked on my feet today (I have a couple of collapsed metatarsils in my right foot...) and she commented that my feet and legs are looking much much more healthy now. And then she looks up at me (I'm 13 inches taller than she is) and says, "Hmm. You look bigger AND smaller, if you know what I mean." And got that twinkle in her eye that says, "keep doing what you're doing, it's good." Very rewarding!

I am so happy with this bike ... It just makes me want to ride it more and more. That's the best part.

G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Results are in, ramarren!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    hi, been a while since I last posted... just wanted to say 'hi' to everyone!

Umm, do you guys drink 'energy drinks' regularly?

An uncle of mine just turned 53. He had a fat bike around 2 to 3 years ago, but he had to sell it coz it wasnt being used, he had no time because he was busy with work. But now that he's semi-retired, he bought another one, and is riding it more.

On his previous rides, after about an hour's ride (some climbs and dips but nothing steep), he'd fall asleep afterwards and wake up nice and refreshed. But now, 2 years later, after a ride and rest.. he wakes up still feeling tired.

He's thinking of drinking 'energy drinks' ... is this a good move? Will energy drinks fight fatigue?

Thanks for any advice...

cheers!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by diffy View Post
    hi, been a while since I last posted... just wanted to say 'hi' to everyone!

Umm, do you guys drink 'energy drinks' regularly?

An uncle of mine just turned 53. He had a fat bike around 2 to 3 years ago, but he had to sell it coz it wasnt being used, he had no time because he was busy with work. But now that he's semi-retired, he bought another one, and is riding it more.

On his previous rides, after about an hour's ride (some climbs and dips but nothing steep), he'd fall asleep afterwards and wake up nice and refreshed. But now, 2 years later, after a ride and rest.. he wakes up still feeling tired.

He's thinking of drinking 'energy drinks' ... is this a good move? Will energy drinks fight fatigue?

Thanks for any advice...

cheers!
    Stay away from "energy" drinks... I'd say a visit to the doc is in order. Fatigue can be caused by many things and is treatable.

I had a similar problem and ended up going through a sleep study and finding that apnea was the culprit.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    It's Earth Day 2017! And my Saturday Morning Walk is going to be a Saturday Morning Ride.

The Sumo, now sans rack and with blinky lights fore and aft:

I decided to go with backpack only and ditched the rack. And then the gear that goes into the small backpack and on my body:

Timbuk2 Rapid Pack
    Helmet
    Overshirt
    Wallet
    iPhone
    Impossible Project I-1 camera
    iPad Pro 9.7
    Keys
    Bicycle lock

Just enough for the 10 mile round trip and breakfast stop this morning. :-)

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Ok ok so I have been a little remiss, so shoot me already. Lol.
    I have busy with mama bear and I have been getting in two hour rides in the afternoon. I have decided next month Blue gets a computer. Yup. Kinda miss keeping tracknoc calories burnt. Not some much for mileage, that's just a bonus.
    The LDS sister missionaries visited the other day. One is the daughter of a missionary I met back in '85 in St. Louis at a bike shop. The other sister is a roadie who rides up around Provo. She was on a century ride, 100miles. And she and her group were riding paceline thinking they were doing good. That is until a group of fat-bikers passed them at speed. Nuff said. I
    I will try to get somepics posted. We are having adry spell here haven't had rain for ten days and none is in the forecast for another week. Lol.
    Until Later-PEACE--LUV-- AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and clan
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

mtbr member
    It's Earth Day 2017! And my Saturday Morning Walk is going to be a Saturday Morning Ride.

The Sumo, now sans rack and with blinky lights fore and aft:

Rammeran have fun today. Looks like you're all set. I will get in my Earthday ride this afternoon.
    OLDBEAR

I decided to go with backpack only and ditched the rack. And then the gear that goes into the small backpack and on my body:

Timbuk2 Rapid Pack
    Helmet
    Overshirt
    Wallet
    iPhone
    Impossible Project I-1 camera
    iPad Pro 9.7
    Keys
    Bicycle lock

Just enough for the 10 mile round trip and breakfast stop this morning. :-)

onwards!
    G
    Rama
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Stay away from "energy" drinks... I'd say a visit to the doc is in order. Fatigue can be caused by many things and is treatable.

I had a similar problem and ended up going through a sleep study and finding that apnea was the culprit.
    I see...Thanks for the tip... I'll talk to him rightaway.

cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Back from the ride. 11.8 miles, average speed 12.3 mph, max speed 29.2 mph (!!!).

I figured out how to use the Apple Watch for cycling workouts ... more data than I ever imagined. Interesting, though, that in the course of bicycling from my home to the cafe and back, I went though the equivalent of climbing and descending 130 feet, even here in this relatively flat part of Santa Clara Valley.

My legs feel fine. I managed three rolling mounts and dismounts with no problems. Strength is improving all through my body and legs, and I am now beginning to get my bicycling chops back .. I notice I'm not as static on the bike as I was.

First time I rolled down a gravel path too. As predicted, no stability problems.

Sumo is charging now. I am drinking water...

G

No riding past few days. Two days ago I found the FatSix had a flat in the rear tire overnight; no doubt from my Lock 1 Towpath ride. So, I patched the tube and took the time to install the Mr Tuffy Tire Liners on both tires and clean up the crud accumulated on the rear derailleur pulley's. Gave the bike a nice wipedown a spray wax application.

What a difference changing tire tubes are on the Fatboy and Full FatSix. Breaking the tire bead on the Haibike's Jumbo Jims is quite the chore and there is no doubt when that bead seats onto the rim; a loud BANG! as the tires are filled to pressure......

DOCTOR PEP: Your Growler looks outstanding; the paint finish looks to be near-Chrome like.

RAMARREN: Enjoying your ride reports on the Bosch powered Sumo. It will be interesting comparing that system to my Yamaha as time goes on.

OLD BEAR: Welcome back. Looking forward to those ride pictures.

Might be a good time here to post up my Good Friday Ride Photos as this day is a washout, damp, rainy, drizzly, cold & raw.....

Mike

mtbr member
    I got a day or 2 last week and I hope to ride tomorrow a little. I'm also hoping to get out Monday and Tuesday before my surgery on Wednesday. The no Ibprofen since last Sunday is making this tough. I ache everywhere and my knee is SO sore. I'll get through it. Then we'll see what the rehab and recovery schedule brings. Hoping it goes quickly.
    Cardiac doc cleared me. I'ce been checked for sleep apnea (mild to moderate). I'll schedule a doctor appointment after my surgery and I can see once I'm able to get there. I also have to redo my holter monitor test. The last only ran for 36 minutes and was inconclusive so I have to do it again.
    I'll post some once I'm out of the hospital and home.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by diffy View Post
    I see...Thanks for the tip... I'll talk to him rightaway.

cheers!
    You're welcome...

There are many things that can cause fatigue. Some are actually a major problem that can be treated readily if caught before another issue crops up. Worth looking into sooner than later.
    Doctor recommended...

Good Friday Ride Report: Wharton State Forest, NJ-Atsion, NJ to Batsto, NJ IN PICS!

My ride starts at the NJ Wharton State Forest Ranger Station at Atsion (pronounced At-sign). A little info on Wharton: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wharto...Atsion_Mansion On the grounds, adjacent to the Ranger station building, is the 14 room Atsion Mansion. Here's a nice video tour of the mansion that also delves into the history of it and the Richards family; along with the industrial activity of this area, very nicely done by author Barbara Solem:
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-001.jpg
    Atsion Mansion, Good Friday, April 2017
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-006.jpg
    The Ghosts of Wharton & Atsion meets the technology of 2017 at the front steps at Atsion Mansion.
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-010.jpg
    And now, we are on our way eastbound on the sand road known as Quaker Bridge Road, an old stage coach road going back to the first days of the state of NJ. A thorough history of Quaker's Bridge itself; interesting reading. Hard to believe that back in these woods was once an important crossing, that a hotel once stood nearby the bridge over the Batsto River:The Story of Quaker Bridge
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1133163[/ATTACH
    About a quarter mile or so from Atsion Mansion, on the Quaker Bridge Road, off to the left, eastbound is Atsion Church and Cemetery. Built by the Richards family, it survives today as a Baptist Church. Years ago, trail riding in my Bronco II, I stopped at the cemetery to look at the grave markers. Those stones tell stories of life and death, some lives long and fruitful, others tragic and oh-so terribly short.
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-015.jpg
    And we're off past the Atsion Church, eastbound. This road allows traffic to all licensed motor vehicles.
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-016.jpg
    More forgotten NJ history. This line goes deep into Wharton State Forest and I've fatbiked it last fall until it ends at a man-made lake used to supply water to a cranberry grower at Chatsworth, NJ, a bit north and east of here. This is part of the old Central Railroad of New Jersey's line. It was not far from here that the famous passenger train The Blue Comet, met a washout during an epic rainfall. Here's a link to The Blue Comet. It was a high class passenger train that took passengers from Northern NJ to Atlantic City: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Comet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-012.jpg  

Atsion, NJ to Batsto, NJ & back... in pictures! Part 2

Technical glitch on last post as the picture at the bottom of the last post should accompany the caption detailing Atsion Church. Onward we go!
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-019.jpg
    I have to wonder while pedaling on this sugar sand road how many other active roads are there that go back to the beginnings of our country? Up ahead and to the right is a turn-off that leads shortly to the Mullica River, which eventually makes it's way to the Atlantic Ocean. But right here in the heart of the NJ Pine Barrens, it is a dark, tannin-rich stream, it's waters black. Great pickerel fishing back here; used exclusively for recreational purposes, ie canoeing and kayaking.
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-023.jpg
    Forest fires are a real menace and a threat to life, people and the animals inside Wharton and throughout the other Pine Barrens forest reserves. Almost a fact of life and nature, for the Dwarf Pine tree grows here, a likely product of nature & these fires. There are many other things exclusive in nature that live in these forests that are found nowhere else in the world. Pretty remarkable for such a fragile setting as this appears to be. Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Barrens_(New_Jersey)
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-028.jpg
    A few miles into the ride eastbound and on my left, what appears to be an old, abandoned Cranberry Bog. I could be wrong, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-031.jpg
    Back on the road again. A bit further up from the bog, the Mullica River Trail veers off from the right of Quaker Bridge Road. For this adventure, I'll be taking this off of the Quaker Bridge Road as it will take us to the remote Mullica River Camp, a place where I hope to overnight in the next few months. A curious note: there are signs posted saying bicycles are not allowed on this particular trail. However, I inquired my intentions up at the Atsion Ranger Station regards to going up there on my fatbike and camping overnight at the Camp site and I was met with no warnings to stay off the trail. I'll have to clarify this furhter on my next visit to Atsion. I want to stay legal & wish not to make it harder for the next bicyclist coming through....
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-035.jpg
    On the Mullica River Trail (this road acts as a connector road between Quaker Bridge Road-which will take us to Atsion & Constable Bridge Road-which will take us to Batsto Village. A note about the downed trees on the trail: the Park Rangers have closed off many of these roads in this manner due to the large number of motor vehicles going off of the main sand roads; and in the process, damaging these trails with their large tires and careless behavior. Note the notches cut in the logs to facilitate bicyclists crossing over the downed trees; again, confusing me as this is, according to the trail signs, closed off to bicyclists; only hikers and horseback riders allowed.....
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-040.jpg
    A wonderful vista, on the Mullica River Trail, looking out to the Mullica River as it leaves a tight channel, to form this swamp like area. Deep into the forest now; the silence was exquisite!
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-042.jpg
    Mullica River Trail. Signs. Signs. Everywhere there's signs. Blocking out the scenery, breaking my mind. Do this, don't do that, can't you read the signs? Link: But the tricky thing here is that it's 6.5 more miles to Batsto, on pretty much sugar-sand trails. 2.5 to the Camp.
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-043.jpg
    No rush, speeds on this run going about 5-6 mph. Taking it all in....
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-046.jpg
    One vista of the Mullica River.....
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-048.jpg
    After another.
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-047.jpg
    Mile marker posts are few and far between....

Atsion, NJ to Batsto, NJ and back....in Pictures! Part 3

Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-050.jpg
    Finally. Reaching early afternoon, Good Friday and I reach the Mullica River Camp, NJ Pine Barrens. The campground was deserted save for one couple with their back packs walking about.
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-052.jpg
    Haibike Full FatSix at Mullica River Camp, alongside the Mullica River, Good Friday, April 2017.
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-054.jpg
    Mullica River Camp, fresh water pump. Drinking water only. I tried this pump on my fatbike run here last year and found it had a strong taste of iron in it. No surprise there as the Mullica River here has many iron ore deposits along it, the chief reason why industry took hold back here. When I do camp here later, I'll be sure to bring my First Need purifying water pump with me.
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-055.jpg
    Mullica River Camp campsite. Fire ring. There are about 10 of these campsites available at this location.
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-056.jpg
    Leaving Mullica River Camp, heading towards Constable Bridge. The area takes on a slightly different character as the trees are more closed onto each other on this side of the camp versus the Quaker Bridge Road side, which is more open.
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-058.jpg
    A slight gradient, approaching Constable Bridge Road. The entire area of the NJ Pine Barrens is not all flatland; rather there are gradients, ever so slight; mirroring the ancient sea bed it all once was.
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-059.jpg
    And finally, Constable Bridge at Constable Bridge Road. This is open to all license vehicular traffic. Note the deep sugar sand at the bridge approach! This is deep stuff. I had aired my tires down to 15 psi at Atsion and truth be told, I should have gone more in order to get through this stuff here. The next post will feature a few shots at Constable Bridge and then we'll hook up onto Batsto River road......

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I haven't been riding the fat bike much. Seems I go through phases where I like to ride on the road. I've been doing some 50+ mile weekend rides on my Vaya. I did get the Fatboy out Thursday and it started making a strange noise from the rear hub. Pretty common on Fatboys. Took the wheel and cassette off with plans to drop the wheel off for warranty repairs. Once I got it apart and cleaned up, the noise went away. Took it out for a hard ride last evening. Rocks, jumps, creeks, etc and it was perfect. I still have several months on the warranty so I'm going to keep an eye on it. Funny that I saw 6 other riders at the trails and 4 were fatbikes. Fatboy, 2 Surly and a Farley.

Atsion, NJ to Batsto, NJ and back.....in pictures! Part 4

Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-060.jpg
    Haibike Full FatSix on the banks of the Mullica River, Constable Bridge. Good Friday, April 2017. Note the black colored water, a trademark of all New Jersey Pine Barrens water and streams, due to the high acidic content from the Pines and Cedar trees that are rooted along all of these rivers. I'll be hooking up onto the Batsto River road not far from here and to the east. To the west off of this bridge, Constable Bridge road travels west ward until it ends at NJ Route 206, about one half mile away from my starting point on this ride at Atsion Ranger Station.....
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-061.jpg
    Constable Bridge, Mullica River. The Mullica here flows one way, towards Sweetwater, NJ, where it turns tidal and from there, onto the Great Bay and the Atlantic. Discovered in the 1600s! Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullica_River
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-062.jpg
    On top of Constable Bridge, looking up-river, towards where we came from...
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-065.jpg
    On top of Constable Bridge, looking down-river, towards Sweetwater, distant from here as is Great Bay and the Atlantic. Quiet, peaceful waters....
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-068.jpg
    Leaving Constable Bridge to this point is about a half mile, give or take, taking us to Batsto River Road and the Canoe/Kayak launch area for Batsto Lake. Batsto Lake forms the Batsto River up to the north of us. Although the river water is black here like the Mullica, the characters of the two rivers are distinct from each other. No iron ore on the Batsto and it is more confined within the forest while the Mullica is often a free-flowing stream that fills out several wetlands along it's way to the Bay. At this point, my camera was starting to fade out as the batteries were losing power.
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-074.jpg
    On the Batsto River Road, outside Batsto Village. 9.5 miles to Atsion but I believe my odometer said otherwise.....
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-076.jpg
    Batsto River Road, heading back to Atsion. Haibike Full FatSix. A lot went on to get to this picture.... I left the forest to bike over to the Batsto Village site. Link:Batsto Village Home Page And from there, I pedaled onto the Penn Branch Mountain Biking Trail (link: https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/thr...ke-trail.8051/ ) to ride the 9 mile course laid out by JORBA, a New Jersey mountain biking trail organization. This is really an outstanding piece of trail, one I want to ride again and document here for the reader of this thread) From there, I left the village and got onto Batsto River Road, the camera failing to take some pics along the way due to the batteries fading out on me. But for this ride, I want to take the reader along some points along the Batsto, including some shots at Quaker Bridge, a very important place in this sea of woods and long forgotten memories and deeds from long ago....
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-077.jpg
    Along the Batsto River Road.

Next up: some final shots along the bluffs near the Batsto and some final shots at Quaker Bridge....

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    RAMARREN: Enjoying your ride reports on the Bosch powered Sumo. It will be interesting comparing that system to my Yamaha as time goes on.
    Might be a good time here to post up my Good Friday Ride Photos as this day is a washout, damp, rainy, drizzly, cold & raw.....
    I enjoyed the photos and story, Mike! Fun stuff.

There's a real lack of those kinds of ridable roads around here. It's gotten so built up in recent years that getting to the country roads where you can bash along on hardback dirt and have fun is a couple of hours slog through a misery of SUV traffic.

I'm very pleased with the Bosch drive system. It's extremely responsive and very well matched to the gearing and my use of the bike. It seems that notch above the Shimano Steps system that my first eBike had.

G

Atsion, NJ to Batsto, NJ and back to Atsion....in pictures! Conclusion

Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-078.jpg
    Batsto River, looking downstream towards the Batsto Lake. The Batsto is a tightly contained stream here on up to Quaker Bridge and beyond to it's source. The forest runs tight along it's banks as well, unlike the Mullica, which is close by to her.
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-079.jpg
    Batsto River, Looking upstream
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-080.jpg
    Overlooking the Batsto River. I am several miles to the junction of Batsto River Road and Quaker Bridge Road. It's getting late in the day and the batteries are throwing off misfires in my camera.
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-084.jpg
    Finally past the junction and onto the Quaker Bridge Road. That crest in the back ground is the bridge crossing over the Batsto River....
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-087.jpg
    Quaker Bridge. This was an important river crossing, used by early settlers of old New Jersey. This link better explains the importance of this area: The Story of Quaker Bridge
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-088.jpg
    Time to turn around and head back on the Quaker Bridge Road to Atsion and call it a good day. The quietness of this area allowed for some great reflection on the importance of Good Friday as well.
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-089.jpg
    The other side of the Quaker Bridge is a cross roads. To the left, the hikers only Batona Trail, Carranza Memorial. Straight ahead is the road to Tuckerton, near the Jersey Shore. To the right is GoodWater Road, which runs near the Batsto into Batsto village.

So concludes my Good Friday run, hope the reader took as much fun out of it as I did riding it and experiencing it.

I enjoyed the photos and story, Mike! Fun stuff.

There's a real lack of those kinds of ridable roads around here. It's gotten so built up in recent years that getting to the country roads where you can bash along on hardback dirt and have fun is a couple of hours slog through a misery of SUV traffic.

I'm very pleased with the Bosch drive system. It's extremely responsive and very well matched to the gearing and my use of the bike. It seems that notch above the Shimano Steps system that my first eBike had.

G
    Ramarren: Many thanks! If you go back aways to last year, you'll find similar ride reports along the canal towpaths of NJ and Pennsylvania that you and other readers might find of interest as well.

Where do you live? This ride is picturesque, however, I had to drive some 26 miles to get to Atsion proper. For my canal rides, I have to drive anwhere from 20 to 50 plus miles to get to my starting point I like to park at. I too live in a very densely populated area, NJ being the most populated state in the country. Lots of "signs" keeping people off of private property everywhere you go. My local runs I document in my ride reports are all on asphalt and they all go through small towns along the way with not much chance in going off road.

Do report your findings on your Sumo as you progess in your riding of her. I'll do the same here with the Yamaha powered FatSix.

I've been on this electric drive powered bike since February. Getting on my Fatboy the other day and I hate to say that I did not recognize the ride quality of the bike. It felt like I was riding on a flat tire or something. I've invested too much into the Fatboy Towpath Traveler that I have to incorporate it into my riding. But the electric is just so much darn fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry66 View Post
    I haven't been riding the fat bike much. Seems I go through phases where I like to ride on the road. I've been doing some 50+ mile weekend rides on my Vaya. I did get the Fatboy out Thursday and it started making a strange noise from the rear hub. Pretty common on Fatboys. Took the wheel and cassette off with plans to drop the wheel off for warranty repairs. Once I got it apart and cleaned up, the noise went away. Took it out for a hard ride last evening. Rocks, jumps, creeks, etc and it was perfect. I still have several months on the warranty so I'm going to keep an eye on it. Funny that I saw 6 other riders at the trails and 4 were fatbikes. Fatboy, 2 Surly and a Farley.
    Terry: I'd recommend that hub get looked at when you get a chance. From what I've read on this site, it's a matter of time until it goes out on you. Good thing is Specialized appears to be very good in backing up this problem. Funny thing: mine is a fairly early model, yet I've had no issues, no creaks or squeaks from the hub.

Since buying the Fatboy, I've not been on any of my other bikes, save for a couple rides on my Trek Soho while I was getting my dyno hub laced onto the Fatboy at my local LBS. My fatbikes are 12 month, go anywhere bikes. The majority of the miles are put on asphalt roads. Maybe I'm too dense to realize I'm supposed to be riding on skinnier tires on asphalt...I just don't care! I like the ride and the way I feel on that fatbike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Mike,

I live in Santa Clara, California, right in the lower-middle of Silicon Valley. There's so much construction going on here it sickens me. It's very dense now, used to be a lot more relaxed and casual.

Driving somewhere to go for a bike ride is something of an issue. I don't have a vehicle that I can put a bike rack or tow hitch on, and simply won't buy a second car (utter waste of money for me). So if I want to go somewhere on the Sumo, I will ride there or take the CalTrain or BART. Needless to say, neither of those head into the mountains. And I discovered that the surface street busses' bike racks are not capable of carrying a bike with 26x4.00 tires... sigh.

There are a lot of lovely roads in the mountains nearby that would be fun to ride, but it will take me that two-hour slog with SUVs to get there, even though they're only 15-20 miles away.

Luckily, there are a lot of paved bicycle paths that are away from traffic. As long as you're not trying to use them at commute hours, they're pretty sparsely used. That's why I concentrated on getting a fat bike with street tires rather than dirt tires. I'll rarely get onto the dirt.

No matter. I am so happy with the Sumo and what it's doing to my legs and body...
    At some point, I'll attempt what I did thirty years ago: ride up and over the mountains to Santa Cruz from here, and ride the beachfront there. (My partner thinks I'm nuts for even thinking about that, but I know the biggest part of that challenge is in my head. The body will eventually be able to take it on, and eventually is "likely by end of Summer.")

onwards!
    G
    G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mike great to see these series back on board. Looks like perfect roads to cruise on the fatstix.

Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi Mike great to see these series back on board. Looks like perfect roads to cruise on the fatstix.
    Hi Surly in OZ! A little slice of heaven on earth, these NJ Pine Barrens. Best to avoid on the weekends as the 2 and 4 wheel motorized vehicles come exploring on the main sand roads. Weekdays however, peace and calm return. Come the warm and hot weather months, the insects make it a bit tough. Winter is great to be back here, the bugs and hot weather gone; unfortunately, the short days mean less time spent checking out these roads.

Still awaiting those Old Bear photos.....

mtbr member
    Great pictures and report Mike. What was the total mileage and time?

Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    Great pictures and report Mike. What was the total mileage and time?
    Thanks, Andy. That was 28.6 miles, all sand roads; averaging 7.1 mph along the way. I made this more a site seeing ride, nothing cardio at all.

Get healed up and next fall, definitely make it a point to make a run down there. For you it'd be roughly a 35 mile run to Atsion. A great change of pace from the canal paths.

Best wishes on that upcoming surgery!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mike strikes again! Great riding places and the historical locations. Good stuff! Thankya, Mike.
    Doctor recommended...

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Mike strikes again! Great riding places and the historical locations. Good stuff! Thankya, Mike.
    Wade: You're welcome, the pleasure was mine! Look here, the sun came out this morning, so I think it's time for a ride. Supposed to get washed out again after today....

Would not mind one bit to see some ride reports in pictures of the terrain you travel in, up on those Rockies. I always like to look at the different persepectives we all pedal under.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mike, those will be coming in the not so distant future. I've been leaving alla the electronics behind lately in an effort to just get into the ride and leave the tether out of the the equation.

Sarge has been having some fun lately. The trails are opening up in the higher elevations and near to home has been ready to ride dirt for quire some time. Never thought I would be out in shorts n jersey in March! Still need to sort air pressure now that sarge is wearing his shoes without socks! :P
    Going tubeless has changed the suppleness of his tires greatly. They roll without resistance it seems. Orange Seal seems to remain pliable unlike Stan's.
    That is the one element that made tubeless a no thank you. I hate the feel of a concrete tire. They have zero performance and a crappy ride when they are as hard as diamonds. Springy tires are trialsy tires!
    Doctor recommended...

Wade: Not positive on this, but it seems my ride to Riverside Marina and back used more juice then in past rides. I say this cause this is the first ride with the Mr Tuffy's liners. I really hear ya on unsprung weight losses using these liquid sealants vs the tube and liner. Who knows, maybe one day I might give it a whirl.

Sunday's Ride Report:

Destination: Homebase, southbound to Delran, NJ at the Riverside Marina; oogle at the fancy trawler yachts and sailboats then head back to homebase. 100% asphalt.

Mileage: 35.9 miles
    Average Speed: 14.6 mph
    Maximum Speed: 20.5 mph
    Weather: Mostly sunny, slight breeze, low 60's, no humidity
    Percentage of Battery Power Left: 19%
    Odometer: 881 miles

Notes: Really a glorious day. Ride started in bright sunshine and ended partly sunny as the next storm front starts to move in for the next few days..........Used STANDARD power setting until I hit Burlington City, southbound, then switched to HIGH power setting for the remainder of the ride.......Really don't notice the rolling resistance of the Mr Tuffy Liners. Actually I had a better feeling of knocking out possibilities of flats with them on......A word about these liners: last year as a few of the readers here know, I ran into a rash of flats on the D&R Towpath at Lock 1 up at Bordentown. Small thorns that would just puncture the tubes. I had a run of like 5 consecutive rides with 5 consecutive tire leak downs requiring a patch job each and every time. The Mr Tuffy's completely eliminated these flats, the only time I got a flat was when I went offroad into the Pine Barrens for a rest room break and promptly ran over a 1 inch long thorn........After the last Pine Barrens run, the bike got a good going over and wipe down; including the chain with a reapplication of Boeshield T9, which is my chain lube of choice........

The next day or so appears to be a washout, so it's take my medication time and pull back a seat, reading of other folks riding reports!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Sarge's fuel economy has improved from 6-7 mps to 8-9 mps! (miles per sammich)

I also enjoy the comfortable ride without every grain of sand feeling like cobblestones.

Glad you're getting out there and enjoying some favorable weather, Mike.
    Doctor recommended...

FB&H rider
    Mike: classic photo journey and excellent narrative to go with it!
    Enjoyed the ride.

CHIEF: this is the week! Thoughts and prayers for your surgery and recovery.

Terry/Banshee, thanks for the updates.

My pedal on the Trek broke and I tried to install the Chesters I ordered. I'm no wrencher but I figured I could at least change my pedal! I tried an allen wrench (6mm) which fit in the spot, but no amount of force could break it loose. I don't have a pedal wrench. I watched a couple youtubes to see if I was doing it right and by everything I saw I was doing it the right way... I wonder if it's just that Trek put them on machine-tight from the factory. I may need to take it in to the shop just to get my pedals off... ugh.
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Pepper no shame it the shop walk, speaking as someone who had the exact same problem a few weeks ago. Made me feel better when they had to get the big pedal spanner out to remove it. With out the right tools sometimes you cannot get the job done.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08561.jpg

Which leads me to todays ride, I was heading out on my Surly Cross Check to try out its new frame bag. After a short ride from home to the start of the local rail trail one of the straps was rubbing my leg and needed fixing. So I stopped a the start of the trail and old fellow was sitting on the bench, he asked me about my bike and commented on the collection of bags. I said they were for carrying tools and bits and bobs. He asked if I had a spare chain in there, it was about then I noticed that his bike was chain less.

He had broken it and had no tools with him. He was surprised when I said I could fix it for him. I had him start to rethread the chain as I dug out my chain tool. Just in time for three roadies to stop for a rest and one of them was a bike mechanic. A bonus for me as the chain was covered in the black paste of neglect. In a blink of an eye the mechanic had the chain on and I mentioned to the fellow not to ride hard home and pay a visit to the LBS for a new chain and maybe a service.

Felt good to help out a fellow cyclist and to have the right tool for the job. Now I just need to buy that big pedal spanner
    Last edited by Surly in OZ; 3 Days Ago at 05:44 AM.