Page 66 of 69 FirstFirst ... 16566263646566676869 LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,300 of 3416
    Fat Biking & Health Rider
    GSXRTURBO1: Welcome to Old Bear's channel! Don't worry much over the mileage and endurance at this point; it will come, just keep it nice and steady with easy spinning of the pedals using lower gears as to keep the stress off the knees. When I got back into biking about 3 years ago, I found that doing a mile was about the upper limits of my weak biking endurance. But it did come back as it will do for you.

I like that DD30, reminds me a lot of my Fatboy except Felt really integrated the cables nicely into the tubes for a more cleaner look.

Mike

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Welcome to the Bear channel.

So you like the rest of us have some health issues. We say go out and ride regardless of distance. You'll enjoy the time and exercise will help you improve in many ways. Besides, it's just nice to enjoy the fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXRTURBO1 View Post
    new member, 55 years old here, weigh 210 height 5'9"
    bought a Felt DD30 just over a month ago
    lots of health issues, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetic, liver issues (just found out I've progressed to cirrhosis)
    Not much endurance at this point, I'm limited to rides 5 miles or less at a slow pace, but I've been riding every day that I can. I've put 70 miles on the bike in the past month.
    I'm hoping this will be a lifestyle change for me that improves my health significantly, so far so good even though it's a slower process then I'd like.
    GSXTURBO! Welcome! Good to hear the report - yup, for folks with 'real' lives, short rides is better n none! As you'll see perusing these pages, we love to talk about the sheer joy of riding a fattie in any conditions, and working to be healthier! Obviously, keep in mind other elements of improving health; diet, other exercise, and general self care.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gypsy View Post
    Pepper ~ There's a fellow in church who always says, "That's why they call it work".

A bad day off still beats a good day at work!
    True nough. Strangely, I've been one of those fortunate few who really gets a huge amount of satisfaction in life at work (helping people get healthy physically and emotionally is very rewarding). But yes, it's still work :P

Was able to have a short ride yesterday - been raining all weekend, but was still fun to rattle around on some rooty trails near my house.

Gents, still need a report in for some more weight loss!!! Banshee/Wade may not need to lose a few kilos, but most of the rest of us do!
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thanks, great site. Yes, Jumbo Jim tires. I've never ridden on another fat bike tire, so I don't have much to compare to, but these seem great. Rode in snow just a couple of times for a short distance only, but no problems that I noticed. They seem light as well.

I love the DD30, glad I went that route rather than the DD70.

Sunday's Ride Report:

Fatbike: Haibike Full FatSix
    Destination: Homebase to Mansfield Township, NJ, to Wrightstown, NJ & back to Homebase; then to Roebling, NJ....99.8% asphalt. Some dirt road pedaling outside Wrightstown

Mileage: 34
    Average Speed: 13.4
    Max Speed: 24
    Battery Capacity Left: 19%
    Weather: Moderately Chilly. Cold breeze. 45 degrees. Sunny

Notes: First ride since last ride report as the thaw has been very slow due to cold weather up to last evening.......avoiding run off & puddles alongside roadways as the county is very liberal in road salt applications after snow storms........19% capacity is the lowest I've taken the battery down. Then again, 34 miles was traveled on the High setting.......Towpath riding would be out of the question in this winter thaw condition. It's going to take a few weeks of dry weather for this snow to drain off and the pathways to thaw and dry out........Snow totals up in Allentown, PA, where I usually pedal when going on the northern towpaths was 18 inches out of this last storm. So no doubt, that canal path is under a lot of snow as of this writing..........Spring may have sprung on the calendar, but the long range forecast is showing cool weather to still dominate into mid April........

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    70+ today! Had a Mayor ride and went Jeepin along the Colorado River. Was a spectacular day, indeed. Jeepin is quantified in time as opposed to miles. 3 hours of crawling the rocks and playing in the sand.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    GTXR: welcome and enjoy yourself. Like you when I got back into cycling, I was a real mess, I was on oxygen and a huge regimen of meds for a lot of the same things you are. Our diagnosis are almost identical. Except for liver problems. I started slow and my basic ride was four to five miles on pavement. But you'll progress at your own comfotable rate. So dive on in and enjoy.
    Oldbear
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thanks everyone, I missed some of the replies earlier. I've been reading the site and particularly this thread for about a month now. I love reading everything here, and I truly love riding my fatbike. I'm hooked, no doubt about it. I'm not going anywhere, this sport and this site is exactly where and what I want to be doing, considering all of my health issues I think I'm doing rather well.

mtbr member
    GSXRTURBO1, welcome ... it has you now. Keep working, slow and steady. You will see progress just stay with it.
    Battling with my BP right now .... had to visit cardiac doc for clearance for surgery. Hadn't been in quite a while. Blood work, stress test, monitor for 24 hours. All good, doc was surprised at my cholesterol numbers. Keep doing what your doing. I had a bad weekend with the BP med changes he's made. Went today to see what was up. My BP was all over the place this weekend and high. Pressure, headaches (which I rarely get). Called him Sunday morning while he was on rounds. Talked my med regiment. Made a change over the phone and see me on Monday. I go in a sit down, they take the press and it's good. They take it again and numbers are good. I take out my machine which I brought with me and the numbers were way off. The new BP machine was bad. The new meds helped too but the machine giving bad numbers threw me way off. Back to normal today.

mtbr member
    Good luck Chief, hope you get dialed in and steady.

Turbo, we're all hooked. When I can't ride, I think about riding. Welcome to the nuthouse.

Blood Pressure; a tricky thing to get right sometimes with the proper medication. Not helping if the BP machine is off! Good to know you've got that set.

Best wishes for the upcoming surgery Chief 500. Keep us informed how it works out.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry66 View Post
    Banshee....That's pretty funny. I have a couple of "Old Farts Rule" jerseys.

I feel pretty lucky health wise, granted I am only 50...I do have osteoarthritis in my knee and I had a pretty nasty Achilles strain that limited my riding a bit last year, but overall I feel pretty good. I don't feel much different than I did 25 years ago. Then again, I am a firm believer that riding keeps you young.

My uncle is 74 and ride 10-15 miles a day. He rarely misses a day. I can only hope to be able to do that when I am his age. I hope to get in month long bikepacking trips when I retire!
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    GSXRTURBO1, welcome ... it has you now. Keep working, slow and steady. You will see progress just stay with it.
    Battling with my BP right now .... had to visit cardiac doc for clearance for surgery. Hadn't been in quite a while. Blood work, stress test, monitor for 24 hours. All good, doc was surprised at my cholesterol numbers. Keep doing what your doing. I had a bad weekend with the BP med changes he's made. Went today to see what was up. My BP was all over the place this weekend and high. Pressure, headaches (which I rarely get). Called him Sunday morning while he was on rounds. Talked my med regiment. Made a change over the phone and see me on Monday. I go in a sit down, they take the press and it's good. They take it again and numbers are good. I take out my machine which I brought with me and the numbers were way off. The new BP machine was bad. The new meds helped too but the machine giving bad numbers threw me way off. Back to normal today.
    There are times when I wish I was equipped with an OBDII port and Doc could plug in the scan tool and adjust some parameters and be good to go.
    I went in to my cardiologist the first week of March for the 3 year followup. Results are favorable with no detectable scarring on my heart. Doc says I can rail the fatty now! Yay! I too have one of those BP machines but take its results with a grain of salt
    Hope you get it sorted and are good to go on the knee job.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    There are times when I wish I was equipped with an OBDII port and Doc could plug in the scan tool and adjust some parameters and be good to go.
    I went in to my cardiologist the first week of March for the 3 year followup. Results are favorable with no detectable scarring on my heart. Doc says I can rail the fatty now! Yay! I too have one of those BP machines but take its results with a grain of salt
    Hope you get it sorted and are good to go on the knee job.
    OBDII port... isn't that the truth! Make a couple changes to some of our bodies table values and be good to go. Nice thought, if only it were that easy. Well, at least we can enjoy riding our bikes while we do good things for our bodies!

Winter Cold Returns....Today's Ride Report

Today's Ride Report: Haibike Full FatSix

Destination: Homebase to southbound, Delran, New Jersey and back to Homebase

Distance: 39 miles
    Average Speed:13.4 mph
    Top Speed: 23 mph
    Battery Power Remaining at end of ride: 13%
    Weather: Sunny, breezy. Cold, 42 degrees

Notes: Clothing ensemble these past few weeks continue: wool socks, long winter cycling pants, 3 poly pro athletic shirts, 2 of which are long sleeve; wool long sleeve over top, vest, balaclava & heavy duty military cap with ear flaps; full fingered winter Pearl Izumi cycling gloves.......And it's still cold!.........stopped at hometown post office to allow buddy who was off-going from his job there a ride on the electric Haibike.......came back completely blown away by the power of the Yamaha mid-drive. Looks like a future convert! ..........back to the ride: southbound, I used the Standard power setting in order to conserve power.......On the way back home, northbound, I put the motor setting to High power, allowing me to run at a steady 20 mph for long stretches or road way............Hope to get some photos taken and posted here before I start adding the "Towpath" additions to her...........Tomorrow has rain on tap and moderating temperatures, but we'll see............

Mike

FB&H rider
    Mike, looks like you're fully back in the swing of things! Several good ride reports lately.
    Question, do you feel you're able to get a good physical 'burn' riding the e-bike (I'm assuming you're still pedaling vs letting the motor do all the work)?

I have a packed weekend but will try to squeeze in at least one ride.

I finally found the right tool to cut down the Bontrager seat post so that my daughter can ride my Trek: I actually like it better too as I'm a short guy and when riding downhill I can drop it out of the way. Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by PhdPepper View Post
    Mike, looks like you're fully back in the swing of things! Several good ride reports lately.
    Question, do you feel you're able to get a good physical 'burn' riding the e-bike (I'm assuming you're still pedaling vs letting the motor do all the work)?
    Thanks, Dr Pep! The rides come in fits and spurts due to the weather. This has been one of the coldest months of March I can ever recall. I want to get this FatSix down in the Pine Barrens and shoot some pictures for a ride report/photo essay, but I want to be sure the snow and rains have filtered into the sand before doing so.

I'm still trying to figure out this bike and what it can deliver, especially in the mileage department, as my rides are more based on longevity and not elevation climbs like those riders in the mountains and single track trails...

The Yamaha mid drive is a pedal assist bike, in that the rider must be pedaling to activate the drive system. No pedal, no assist. There is no throttle and it is governed to cut out at 20 mph. I believe the European versions of this bike, as too, all of the other Euro electric bikes; is controlled to cut out at 15 mph; which to me, seems awful low.

Regards to the cardio workout, I've not tried to push myself too hard as I've been off the Fatboy since October and wanted to ease back into it. The HIGH setting (as too, the STANDARD setting) allows the rider to ease into that workout with minimal stress on the rider, even going up the hills I encounter in my rides. That cardio workout can easily be achieved by using the lower settings, ECO and ECO+. I can also shut the motor assist off (and I've done that; making it quite clear how much the motor provides assistance!). As spring progesses, I really want to see how far I can go on a single charge and that will include pedaling for stretches in the lower assist settings. Stay tuned!

Another consideration is this bike allows me to knock off my daily rides close to home in quicker time, allowing me more time to go about my daily business. This will especially be a blessing when the summer heat & humidity settle in, baking everything to a crisp by 10 am. It is an amazing game changer in the bike game! Especially to the older bicyclist with aches, pains and those issues that pop up as we get older.....

Enjoying the photos of the German forests, Pep. Keep 'em coming!

Mike

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mike, glad to hear your back to business as usual. Those ride reports are awesome.
    My rides are shorter but have more elevation change. One of these days I need to
    hit one of the coasts and enjoy some beach riding. The XL pump makes pressure
    adjustments a quick easy stop. When I hit Rabbit Valley there are areas that without
    pressure adjustments I'd have a difficult time of riding.

Pepper, more pix!!
    Doctor recommended...

Wade: Many thanks. The Bronchitis gone; now if only this winter-like weather would fade out. Beach riding: still on the bucket list is to head south to the Delaware Beaches and do a ride report from Cape Henlopen, DE down to Indian River Inlet, some 20 miles south. Fatbikes: no other bike can claim the ability to ride on asphalt AND ride in sugar sand. I love it!

Friday's Ride Report----Haibike Full FatSix

Destination: Homebase to Burlington City, NJ (at the Burlington-Bristol Bridge), turnaround and back to homebase

Mileage: 20 estimated (I forgot to zero out my readings from yesterday's ride,)
    Average Speed: Unknown due to not resetting the computer
    Weather: Cold, Started out mostly sunny at 9 am and at Burlington it was mostly cloudy, windy, cold, raw with a cold wind from the west. 45 degrees or so estimated

Notes: With the motor setting on HIGH, I came back home with 49% battery remaining......For this run, I was running on the long stretches of this ride at or near 20 mph........In town, down to 13 mph or so...........Same winter clothing get up as yesterday and still, my feet are numb at the end of the ride.......Rain due later this afternoon, so I wanted to get my ride in before the rains came. Tomorrow is a more moderate day on tap, with wet weather forecast, so I may have to postpone my ride.......I hope to get some photos of this bike in it's stock set up so I can then install the handlebar bag and the new grips and bar ends. Sure hate doing this riding with no ability to repair a flat tire, so the bag is a must before I can procure a seat mount bikepacking bag for the main gear storage.........Today's run of 20 miles was accomplished in roughly an hour and 15 minutes, plus or minus. I made it a point to pedal hard and consistent, maintaining and going over the 20 mph motor-cut off. And yes, you do breathe hard, even on max assist! This bike and it's particular characteristics of cadence requirements and gearing is still a learning thing. The Yamaha is nice for me as my cadence comfort level is in the 80's to low 90's, where this set up shines. I believe the Bosch mid drive requires a higher cadence.........

Mike

mtbr member
    Who needs a OBII port, when you are bionic with an adjustable pacemaker/defib unit installed? Just go in every three months and have it checked and adjusted by the tech. No sweat. I used to takev my bp with a,home machine too. My cardiologist had me bring it in every six months to have it calibrated at the hospital for free.b

Today I got out four two glorious hours just exploring a little further along the creek. Just noodlin around and finding a new short trail to the swamp and an area to catch some fish. I was alone and loved it.
    Planning on another trip to the trails up around Mobile. This time we have a list of mountain bike trails up there. Not looking to be a gonzo just a plodding Clydesdale.
    Until Later>>>>PEACE>>>>LUV>>>>AND FATNESS.
    Oldbear and family.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    This has been a nice read, i am a 64 yr old with bad legs who loves riding. I have 2 e bikes, one is a road bike with 700c tires I use to ride to work till I retire this spring and the 2nd is a KHS 500 4 season fat bike. I installed a Bafang mid drive, rear rack and saddlebags. I try to use the lower power setting as much as possible because the workout is good but the rolling resistance of the 4" tires is a lot more than the road bike. Anyway it's spring here now and still lots of snow and ice but i still got a good ride today, a mix of paved bike /walking trails and grassy fields. Maybe about 15 miles, good exercise and so nice to be out riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by northernfatbike View Post
    This has been a nice read, i am a 64 yr old with bad legs who loves riding. I have 2 e bikes, one is a road bike with 700c tires I use to ride to work till I retire this spring and the 2nd is a KHS 500 4 season fat bike. I installed a Bafang mid drive, rear rack and saddlebags. I try to use the lower power setting as much as possible because the workout is good but the rolling resistance of the 4" tires is a lot more than the road bike. Anyway it's spring here now and still lots of snow and ice but i still got a good ride today, a mix of paved bike /walking trails and grassy fields. Maybe about 15 miles, good exercise and so nice to be out riding.
    Welcome to our 'channel'!
    Our common passion here is two fold really. One is to ride ride ride. To me it doesn't matter what you ride, but, most of us ride FAT. LOL. we seem to be a group that rides so many different brands and we all love it. From our standard rigid fattys to e-bikes we live to ride and ride toblive!!!! Which brings me to point two, moist of us here have health issues and fat-bikes help us to achieve recovery from our ills and aches and pains.
    We all come from various levels of experience in cycling too. From Ex-pro downhiller to the newbies amongst us we all share in our love for cydling. We encourage one another, we joke one another, we pray for one another and we even have been known to use our great sense ' f humor.
    That all being said, as the OP of this thread and family, wecome to the fold. Coffee and donuts are optional. Annnnd to those that lurk ' n the edge I say, what are you waiting for? Join us for the fun and fraternity we all enjoy. I promise you we don't bite. (I don't have teeth)

Today was another day of riding along the creek. Just out and back for two hours of fun. My computer is still attached to Ryback and to be quite honest, I don't miss it. When I rode up in Missouri it was great to keep a record of milage and calories burnt. But I don't miss it a bit!

On the way home, I stopped by a local 'junk shop' because there's a clunker i g front just begging to be rescued. It a '70's Murray that is sun faded and in need of some TLC. Next week it's coming to the bear den to get some luv. I am going to put some 26x3.0 tired on it and change the pedals and saddle. Don't know if I am going to paintbitor leavebit rusty. The rims will get a coat of flat black and I think that's it. Gonna use it to run to Dollar General and the post office. It has a two speed 'kick back' rear hub that still functions too. I and the bars havevtogo too. They're big and ugly. Lol
    Until tomorrow
    OLDBEAR

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yesterday was an awesome ride. Temps were in the mid-60s and the singletrack was great. Still a few soft spots from the rain. Rode with a good friend on his Pugs. Ended up riding about three hours. Trails are a good combination of Flow, climbs, rocks and probably half a dozen small creek crossings. Thought about riding my HiFi full suspension, but the Fatboy won out...again. Haven't ridden the HiFi since I got the Fatboy about 6mos ago

Hyper Mileage-Hyper Local

Old Bear: Amen!

Saturday was gray but moderately comfortable. The rains were not due in to late afternoon, so why not? The perfect chance to try the FatSix on one f my long distance runs and just see what I can try to get out of this battery.....

Saturday's Ride Report-Haibike Full FatSix

Destination: Homebase to Pennsauken, NJ-Cove Road Railroad Park and back to Homebase.
    Mileage: 50 miles
    Average Speed: 13.4 mph
    Max Speed: 22.7 mph
    Weather: Cloudy, little breeze. Temps about 65 degrees. Threat of rain.
    Battery Life remaining at end of ride: 23%

Notes: I used the ECO setting mixed in with the occassional STANDARD setting in going all the way to Pennsauken, 25 miles away............At my arrival at the Cove Road Railroad Park, my noted Battery percentage remaining was 72%............25 Miles in ECO yielded only 28% of battery power extended. I found that remarkable. And it got me to thinking if I can make it to some of those Pine Barren camp sites some 30 miles from home. Sure, it could be done by the Fatboy as I've proven I could do high mileage runs. But there is a game within this electric bike biz and that is seeing how far one can go on a full charge! .............with a few rain drops at the Railroad park, it was time to leave..........So, setting the motor on High and Standard, I was back to doing 17 to 20 mph on the long stretches of road on the way home..........The rain finally coming down in Burlington, with a stop at Florence to chug down 2 bottles of Yoo Hoo as a reward........Final battery charge left remaining at the completion of the ride: 23%.........Wow, even hoofing it hard I had good life left over for another 10 miles of range.......The Schwalbe Jumbo Jims in conjunction with the Rock Shox aborbers made the frost heaved, broken up roads of NJ almost enjoyable.

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    Old Bear: Amen!

Saturday was gray but moderately comfortable. The rains were not due in to late afternoon, so why not? The perfect chance to try the FatSix on one f my long distance runs and just see what I can try to get out of this battery.....

Saturday's Ride Report-Haibike Full FatSix

Destination: Homebase to Pennsauken, NJ-Cove Road Railroad Park and back to Homebase.
    Mileage: 50 miles
    Average Speed: 13.4 mph
    Max Speed: 22.7 mph
    Weather: Cloudy, little breeze. Temps about 65 degrees. Threat of rain.
    Battery Life remaining at end of ride: 23%

Notes: I used the ECO setting mixed in with the occassional STANDARD setting in going all the way to Pennsauken, 25 miles away............At my arrival at the Cove Road Railroad Park, my noted Battery percentage remaining was 72%............25 Miles in ECO yielded only 28% of battery power extended. I found that remarkable. And it got me to thinking if I can make it to some of those Pine Barren camp sites some 30 miles from home. Sure, it could be done by the Fatboy as I've proven I could do high mileage runs. But there is a game within this electric bike biz and that is seeing how far one can go on a full charge! .............with a few rain drops at the Railroad park, it was time to leave..........So, setting the motor on High and Standard, I was back to doing 17 to 20 mph on the long stretches of road on the way home..........The rain finally coming down in Burlington, with a stop at Florence to chug down 2 bottles of Yoo Hoo as a reward........Final battery charge left remaining at the completion of the ride: 23%.........Wow, even hoofing it hard I had good life left over for another 10 miles of range.......The Schwalbe Jumbo Jims in conjunction with the Rock Shox aborbers made the frost heaved, broken up roads of NJ almost enjoyable.

Mike
    Mike: Better pay attention to your othef fatty. He might get overly jealous, andwho knows what mayhem might occur. Ryback understands Blue's place and is enjoying his semi-retirement. You just might wind up with a battery pack in the bed. Lol

mtbr member
    I was planning to get some riding time yesterday (Saturday). BP meds have been working. Feeling better.
    Devastating Friday evening. My wife's work burned down.
    Fat Biking and health-img_2505.jpg
    Spent Friday night there, spent yesterday helping the owner work through the fire marshals, ATF and that scenario. The business is a total loss.

They manufacture watertight doors, scuttles and hatches for Navy ships. Today we spent digging through the rubble looking for computers, hard drives and such for their records. My wife is devastated; they are getting a plan together to rebuild the business. The owner has a great frame of mind and is looking forward to the challenge. I told him this is the worse and best thing that could happen. You get to start over, take the 100 years Chinese village of old buildings all interconnected wit SO much wasted space and put it in a new open building and start it over. Going to be long hard few weeks for them to get set back up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-img_2506.jpg  

mtbr member
    Fat Biking and health-img_2507.jpg

Chief: I seem to recall a Bristol Flare Corporation was once in business on or very near this property. A good many years ago, I bought a set of hand held flares for my little boat that I was using when off CG duty in Delaware, down in the Delaware Bell, so I carried them with me. Got to looking at where they came from and was surprised to see they were made just across the Bristol Bridge. Devastating fire and I hope they rebuild quick. Had no idea that they made naval watertight hatches and scuttles; I always thought with the name they made railway equipment. No doubt, I probably opened and secured many hatches and scuttles made by these folks in my CG life......

Fred: I know what you mean and hope to switch them off, after we get some warmer weather.

Did a Recon run from Homebase to the Ranger Station at Atsion, NJ. 30 miles. 26 by busy Route 206. The 30 mile run is through some nice rural country, for NJ standards. I will have to make the run in ECO in order to pull it off on one charge..... Not even counting getting to and from the Campground a few miles in the woods from the Ranger station.

I may have to build a trailer, holding a 4500 watt gas generator, gas tanks and other gear in order to be totally self sufficient; able to charge the battery anytime, anywhere! Hashtag Gone Completely Bat Dung Crazy!

mtbr member
    Man ...I'm off the wagon (in my committal to ride 3-4x week) . I haven't ridden in two weeks now. Kids had Spring Break a week ago; got a fair bit of exercise walking around Oceanside, Carlsbad & San Diego. This past week has been a real doozie at work. Wanted to ride today and the honey-do list put the kibosh on that. Gotta get back out there!

CHIEF ... sorry to hear about your 'boss-in-law's' misfortune. Hopefully the unwanted fresh start will be the positive spin that he needs. Hope everything works out.

BEAR ... I've been thinking about a project bike. I've got 3 rooms in the casa I need to start a remodel on though. I prefer to do that in the summertime around here since my aversion to hell on earth (desert southwest) largely keeps me indoors. When I get thru those, my boy has a dilapidated BMX bike I think we'll trick out.

Good for me to get back on the forum and catch-up here. I'm definitely getting out this week!
    2017 Growler MBS Bluto - His
    2017 Framed 3.0 XWT Rigid - Hers

"Don't Hurt People and Don't Take Their Stuff" - Kibbe

FB&H rider
    Northernfat - welcome and good to meet you!

Chief, very sorry to hear it. Agree, its an opportunity but still rough in the meantime.

Mike & Tex - sounds like a lovely weekend where ya'll are!

It was also the first weekend that felt like spring over here. A buddy and I spent about an hour and a half trying to find the creek head of the creek near my home so we summited the mountain (only about 1500' above my house) and then zig-zagged our way down - all off trail. We finally found it actually not that much further up the mountain than my house, but fun in any case!
    The fatties made for some fun in the mud. We may get back out there to clean up the creek bed to improve runoff but also make it easier to follow

Fat Biking and health-25-mar-sunny.jpgFat Biking and health-25-mar-mud.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grimacetimus View Post
    Man ...I'm off the wagon (in my committal to ride 3-4x week) . I haven't ridden in two weeks now. Kids had Spring Break a week ago; got a fair bit of exercise walking around Oceanside, Carlsbad & San Diego. This past week has been a real doozie at work. Wanted to ride today and the honey-do list put the kibosh on that. Gotta get back out there!

CHIEF ... sorry to hear about your 'boss-in-law's' misfortune. Hopefully the unwanted fresh start will be the positive spin that he needs. Hope everything works out.

BEAR ... I've been thinking about a project bike. I've got 3 rooms in the casa I need to start a remodel on though. I prefer to do that in the summertime around here since my aversion to hell on earth (desert southwest) largely keeps me indoors. When I get thru those, my boy has a dilapidated BMX bike I think we'll trick out.

Good for me to get back on the forum and catch-up here. I'm definitely getting out this week!
    Grimace:

With mama bear out of the woods, rides are becoming a little more frequently now. I hear you about homechores. I have to get our back bedroom cleaned out, and then build some storage for my other hobby, model railroading.
    My son Adam, up in Missouri is a powder Coates and is rebuilding his 20" 'hoopty'. He plans on powder coating it a green metalflake. Lol. Maybe I'll just pull the clunker apart and sent the frame to him for a black to purple fade job. Lol
    I got in another 2 1/2 hours today. Explored an old logging road that went way back into some site of a small settlement. Then I ride back via a power line row. All in all a fine day.
    Until Later
    Oldbear

mtbr member

Took a week off

Kids were on spring break, we all had colds and the weather was crap. Welcome to OldBear's nuthouse, UpNorth. Chief, glad your wife is safe, hope they are back up and running really soon. OldBear, include a fish report! Did you catch anything?

Travelled for work to Indiana again. I rode Bonneville Mills, which was a trail I hit when I first started my "bike to health" journey. I got to the end and realized I could do another lap. The first time I did it, I nearly keeled over at the end. Heck I nearly keeled over in the middle. I really noticed the difference today. I won't be winning any races, but I would blow the doors off of my six months ago self.

Spring has sprung

Fat Biking and health-image.jpg

mtbr member

Sorry for duplicate post

laggy internet connection
    Last edited by iliketexmex; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:53 PM. Reason: duplicate

Hyper Mileing To Atsion, NJ-Wharton State Forest, NJ Pine Barrens

Dr Pep: Gettin' down and dirty; looks like fun!

After much thinking on the Pennsauken ride Saturday, immediate thoughts turned to whether I could get down and back, to and from the NJ Pine Barrens at Wharton State Forest. If so, the possibilities open up of overnight camping in the remote Mullica River Campground deep within the forest. So, after figuring out the route itself, I set out Sunday in my car to trace how I wanted to pedal the route, away from the dangerous Route 206. Monday, at 1 pm I thought, Why not? Go for it. So here we go!

Monday's Ride Report-Haibike Full FatSix

Destination: Homebase to the junction of Route 206 and Atsion Road, Atsion, New Jersey, NJ Pine Barrens Preserve
    Mileage: 62.2 miles
    Average Speed: 12.6 mph Max Speed: 27.2 mph
    Weather: Cloudy, rain spritz. Upon reaching Atsion, the sky cleared to mostly sunny, temps near 64 degrees. Perfect!
    Battery Percentage remaining at conclusion of ride: 18%

Notes: The entire ride east to Atsion was done with the Power Setting in Eco. The name of the game was spinning light on the pedals, shifting gears to meet the terrain dips and elevations........On departing Homebase, heading north, I run into old valleys carved out by the creeks now presently there, 1/4 mile out the driveway comes the Crafts Creek downhill run followed by a steep incline. On this particular ride today, I doubled back on the Crafts Creek valley, to the south and east of the first climb. Then about 1.5 miles from that coast and climb comes the same thing at the Assicunk Creek. The heart was pumping pretty good at the top of these climbs.........This ride took me past Virtua hospital in Mt Holly, where I was hatched a long time ago! , where my right coronary blockage was identified in 2011. And here I was at that moment, pedaling on by; grateful & thankful for the health I have...........From Mt Holly comes the nice town of Lumberton, followed by another nice and picturesqe town called Medford.......Medford Lakes was next, a pretty neighborhood built around a lake, the houses all Log Cabins. These are Old South Jersey towns, nothing like what a person thinks of NJ, with it's overpopulation, ugly scenery and rude people........There is something gratifying to the soul when one sets out a quest to accomplish and you git er done. And so it was when I reached the end of my journey at mile 31.1, the intersection of Route 206 & Atsion Road. Link: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7413...17z.........It was at Atsion that the Sun came out, shining over the Atsion Lake. It was a beautiful moment........On the ECO setting, at the turnaround point, I had traveled 31.1 Miles with 80% battery life remaining and an estimated 70+ miles capacity still left at that setting. I was again amazed.......On the way back, with sundown on my mind (it was 4 pm at Atsion and the turnaround, I set the power to Standard and set about heading west........On the way back, I encountered a skinny tired type racer who I caught up to right in that Assicunk Watershed rise and fall. Another story for another time I guess. But put this way, when he thought a race was on at the dip into the creek; I obliged. Here we are, riding a full suspension set on full travel, 4 inch wide tire fatbike piloted by a person who's not in summer riding condition; having ridden already over 55 miles. It was coming off those creek rises and falls that I hit near 28 miles per hour. The last glance back, he was about 3/4 a mile behind on the long straight near my final home stretch of road. Those competitive juices and challenges; they are within every one of us. And this bike sure made the difference!

Once we get some nice weather and my bags fitted, photos will follow.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mike, sounds like you had a great ride. The E-bike is turning out to be the one getting the attention and the fatboy's gonna be pissed!!

The Mayor was utilitarian on Monday. I had a service call in an area plagued by 2 hr. parking limits. So I parked at the park n ride across town and broke out the Mayor and my boat anchor I call a computer pack and away I went. Rear tire was showing the extra 30 #'s I was carrying, but was rolling very nicely. Was awesome to ride my fatty for such duty.

Since giving tubeless a go again last month the Mayor and Sarge are doing very well with it. The difference this time was the use of Orange Seal as opposed to Stan's. The sealant is rated for low temp use and does not have ammonia and other awful stuff in it. The best part is no seepage on the sides of their LiteSkin tires. Another plus is OS has not made the tires feel like heavy 2 ply DH tires. That for me is very important since I like the better ride and improved traction of a supple tire. I found a very reasonable price for anodized aluminum valve stems in various colors on Amazon and decided to give it a go after speaking to several peeps that swear by OS. As long as it's not a mess that weighs down my tires and makes em feel like solid rubbuh, I'm good to go.
    I have been enjoying the JJ 4.8's since they are lighter than many 4.0's and I'm spoiled by the ride quality of the larger air volume. Their rolling resistance is extremely low compared to other choices and has improved noticeably since ditching the tubes. Even Sarge is rolling easier without tubes in his tires. Traction and ride quality has improved with the conversion.
    End result has been ride with 1-3 psi more in the tires to keep the tires from squishing too much. I tried to run my typical riding pressure and found it a little low and my rear tire would wrinkle continuously. Aired em up a bit and good to go. Snow conditions do require the right number of wrinkles in a fat tire, tubed or tubeless. Best part, improved fuel economy!!
    Doctor recommended...

Wade: Great use of your Mayor as part of your work day. I like it. Liking too your experience here on tubeless; what works for you & what doesn't. Invaluable information.

One thing I learned with the full suspension bikes are the traditional rack and panniers system; a tried and true formula, are out the window. There are som interesting bikepacking seat bags on the market, the best being the kind that are supported by a saddle/seat post rack mount versus the bags that use straps to keep the large bag in place. One tradeoff in the strap on style is tail wag. I'm trying to outfit this bike to go back on those overnighters in the Pine Barrens and up on the towpath trails north of here. This morning I ordered this seatpost rack: https://ridepdw.com/products/bindle-rack along with the recommended 14 liter Terrapin dry bag to go with it. Then it's onto figuring out what I can carry inside it. One thing about these new bag systems: they run counter to everything written about pannier touring; that is, keep the bags low and near or on center to the rim axle. Handling has to be compromised with the new systems, but I don't seem to read anything about that....

TexMex: Nice photo of your ride area; looks nice, quiet and isolated. Exactly what the Fatbike is designed to ride on, to get back into, away from the hustle and bustle of humanity.

Raining cats and dogs today. No ride report. I wanted to get pictures of the bike before I started replacing and adding items to enhance the touring capability of it; but that will have to wait for sunny and dry weather.....

mtbr member
    Wade: Great use of your Mayor as part of your work day. I like it. Liking too your experience here on tubeless; what works for you & what doesn't. Invaluable information.

One thing I learned with the full suspension bikes are the traditional rack and panniers system; a tried and true formula, are out the window. There are som interesting bikepacking seat bags on the market, the best being the kind that are supported by a saddle/seat post rack mount versus the bags that use straps to keep the large bag in place. One tradeoff in the strap on style is tail wag. I'm trying to outfit this bike to go back on those overnighters in the Pine Barrens and up on the towpath trails north of here. This morning I ordered this seatpost rack: https://ridepdw.com/products/bindle-rack along with the recommended 14 liter Terrapin dry bag to go with it. Then it's onto figuring out what I can carry inside it. One thing about these new bag systems: they run counter to everything written about pannier touring; that is, keep the bags low and near or on center to the rim axle. Handling has to be compromised with the new systems, but I don't seem to read anything about that....

TexMex: Nice photo of your ride area; looks nice, quiet and isolated. Exactly what the Fatbike is designed to ride on, to get back into, away from the hustle and bustle of humanity.

Raining cats and dogs today. No ride report. I wanted to get pictures of the bike before I started replacing and adding items to enhance the touring capability of it; but that will have to wait for sunny and dry weather.....
    I will comment a bit about the use of bikepacking bags. First, there is no perfect setup for everybody, it's about compromises and figuring out what works best for your bike and your rides. Racks and panniers are not dead, and are still in use by the majority of bike tourists. One issue with them, as you mentioned, is their compatibility with full suspension bikes. Another issue is they do not work well when riding narrow singletrack as they can get caught up on foliage and other things on the ride of the trail. They also kind of suck when you have to walk the bike. another 'issue' is when you have 4 big panniers, it's very easy to take way more stuff than you need. On the other hand, racks and panniers are a reliable setup when the terrain is easy and trails are wide.

Here is the way I see the whole packing process: The best place to put heavy stuff is centered and low on the bike. The best thing for that is a nice full frame bag. Unfortunately, that doesn't work great on some setups because of full suspension and/or small front triangle. Even in that case, it makes sense to maximize the use of that space. Another underutilized space is under the downtube. Some newer bikes have mounts under there, but there are also some bag makers that are making bags to mount under there without the mounting holes, worth looking into. The next place is the rear. On a hardtail bike, you can use a lightweight rack with drybag strapped on as a substitute for a saddlebag. It will be more stable and cheaper, but not as rugged for serious bikepacking on rough trails. A number of bikepackers are moving back to this setup vs a saddlebag because of the advantages. This back area is a good place for light but bulky stuff so you don't have too much weight up high. Another popular packing place is a handlebar roll or bag. This can also affect handling if too much weight is packed up there. Yet another place to store stuff is on the fork legs. Most rigid forks these days have mounts there, or you can just use clamps to mount water bottles, fuel bottles, small dry-bags etc. Usually medium size cylindrical things work well here. Then there's fuel tanks and feedbags for the cockpit. Then there's basketpacking: California Basketpacking - BIKEPACKING.com

Anyway, there are LOTS of ways to carry stuff, and everybody needs to figure out the best way for them, not based on what the cool setup is right now. I don't know what your bike looks like, but it sounds like because it an E bike and full suspension you options will be limited. Keep up the good work, and get some more pictures up!

Edit: Forgot to add that there is a sticky thread in the Bikepacking forum where people show their setups on various bikes. It's a good thread to browse for ideas.

mtbr member
    Chief: I seem to recall a Bristol Flare Corporation was once in business on or very near this property. A good many years ago, I bought a set of hand held flares for my little boat that I was using when off CG duty in Delaware, down in the Delaware Bell, so I carried them with me. Got to looking at where they came from and was surprised to see they were made just across the Bristol Bridge. Devastating fire and I hope they rebuild quick. Had no idea that they made naval watertight hatches and scuttles; I always thought with the name they made railway equipment. No doubt, I probably opened and secured many hatches and scuttles made by these folks in my CG life......
    Yep, Bristol Flare is still there and making product. They are right in front of my wife's work place. Yeah I'm sure you have used some of my wife's companies product too. They started making rail equipment (hand rails, grab rails etc...).

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mike...here is the setup I used last year. This was a five day trip. Granted we had water and food stops along the route. This Is the the Revelate Pika seat pack. It held my clothes, electronics and a couple other small items. It was only maybe 75/80% capacity. I rode some pretty rough roads and trails and really never noticed the tail wag. Going from memory, the Revelate handlebar harness held my tent, towel, jacket, socks. My sleep pad was on the right fork. The other side had a cook stove, MREs, etc. Frame bag was snacks, first aid, tubes, iPhone, MREs, wallet. The silver canister is my tool kit, wire, a few feet of duct tape, zip ties, etc.

Fat Biking and health-ogremic.jpg

BikeNY: Much, much appreciated info. Thank you! Enclosed is a picture of my other bike, my Specialized Fatboy, otherwise known as the Towpath Traveler. I liked the versatility of the Surly Nice rear rack that I scrapped the front carbon fork for a Fatboy SE aluminum fork just so I could riv-nut in place a front rack. This allowed me to utilize any combination of Ortlieb panniers I have in that Hazel/Black combo; including the hazel/black Ortlieb Travel Biker, which is a kind of suitcase type bag. Not to mention, the racks are great mounting points for my Dyno lighting system! Here's a photo of the Fatboy TT on the Lehigh Canal Towpath, fall of 2016, with two of the lighter weight Ortlieb QL2 Commuter Office Bag. These are my favorites for day tripping. Not bulky, can hold my day gear, food, snacks, water and my favorite Alite Mayfly Chair......
    Fat Biking and health-100_2064.jpg

Chief500: Appreciate the info. Great to know they are still at it, making flares.

Mike

mtbr member

Objective Improvements

I rode another trail that I rode early in this process, and tracked my times. In addition to the important measures of waist, weight and blood work, I'm faster and going farther. It is fun. Today it was in Goshen, Indiana. Flat, winding and fast. Very fun.

I love the bike packing rigs, how do you know if a rack will fit your bike? I'd like to get one on the back.Fat Biking and health-image.jpg

Terry66: That's a classic bikepacking set up there. I like it. Can you tell me what bracket you used to hold your fork mounted gear in place? Can it be used on a RockShox Bluto suspension fork? Really liking the amount of gear you were able to carry with you on your set up.

TexMex: Regards to a true rear rack, the Surly Nice Rear rack will fit any fat tire bike, provided you have rack stay mounts on the bottom of your frame. The top end rack stay mounts are not really needed if you do what I did: installed a Problem Solvers Seat Post Collar Clamp/Rack Mount: Problem Solvers This allowed me to bypass the top frame mount stay inserts for a much cleaner, more symetrical fit on the frame. I'm a fan of the Surly rack, for you can lower or raise the height of the rack in relation to the top of the tire, to get that pannier close to centerline of the rear hub, compared to other set ups out there.

Regards to the Saddle Mount BikePacking set up, the ace players out there are Arkel (who have a great & smart mini-rack that bolts to the saddle rails. The Arkel bags then slide onto this rack, eliminating tail wag).........Revelate, which Terry66 has, features another well thought method of securing the bag to the seat post.......PorcelainRocket, again, a highly regarded brand with a similar method as to Revelate in securing the bag to post. Ortlieb and Apidura are other brands with whole systems, well thought out, to go bike packing with.

On my Fatboy, I more often run with just one Commuter bag in the back to carry all of my day gear with me. In one bag I can stuff my air pump, tire tubes, patch kit, jacket, camera, sandwich and drink and my ultralight chair....

Lt Colombo moment....almost forgot, TexMex: Most of those bike packing saddle rigs call for a measurement of around 8 inches from the top of your back tire to your saddle rails. As BikeNY advised me yesterday, there is a nice forum on this site devoted to bikepacking. Also, there is another good web site worth checking out for additional info and actual bikepacking tours: Bikepacking Routes, Gear, Inspiration - BIKEPACKING.com

Mike

FB&H rider
    Mike; love the long-distance ride report Always good to read the stories... Mt Holly in particular 'rung a bell' but that's an inside story... (ok ok, I'll share at least this much, my first wife's name was Holly)...

bikeny, thanks for stopping by, love your posts in other threads, good input here.

Banshee (sure, everyone calls you Wade but Banshee is so cool), thanks for the input on tubeless. I know there's a million threads on it out there, but still you've said enough for me to do more comparison shopping of stans vs OC. I'm still in holding mode for a bit on the Growler but can't wait to go tubeless on it!

mtbr member
    Speaking of Bikepacking seat bags, there is a lot of innovation going on with them right now. They started off as basic soft bags that attached to the seatpost and seat rails, but are now evolving into a bunch of different designs. Most of the new bags are more like a holster that you slide a dry bag, advantages being they are more waterproof and they can be packed off the bike and then easily strapped on. Many of them also now incorporate some kind of metal frame to eliminate sway, as mentioned. below are a bunch of the new options:

Revelate Terrapin, holster but no frame: https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...TerrapinSystem

Bedrock Coconino, aluminum 'wing' to stabalize, but not a holster/drybag setup: Coconino Seat Bag — Bedrock Bags

Porcelain Rocket Mr. Fusion, small support rack and holster setup: https://www.porcelainrocket.com/coll...s/mr-fusion-v2

Portland Design Works Bindle, support rack for drybag: https://ridepdw.com/products/bindle-rack

Arkel Seatpacker, rack support: https://www.arkel-od.com/en/seatpack...-seat-bag.html

There are obviously also lots of tradition soft bag seatpacks that work fine for lightish loads on towpaths/doubletrack/dirt roads.

I am of the opinion that if you are not planning really techy rides, you are better off with a rack, assuming you can get one to fit your bike of course! For a lower profile lighter setup, just strap a drybag on top, or use panniers when you need more space.

The snow is melted and the trails are drying out here in NY, looking forward to getting back out there. Keep the reports coming everyone!

Haibike Full FatSix

Appreciate very much all the positive comments of good will and cheer & great, practical information on what works today for our off-road bikes, everybody!

Haibike Full FatSix: Yamaha PW power, 2x10 Shimano Deore XT front and rear derailleur, Magura MT5 Hydraulic brakes, 4.00 Schwalbe Jumbo Jim Tires, RockShox Bluto Fork, RockShox Monarch RT3 Rear Shock.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2111.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_2113.jpg
    Yamaha PW Motor, Mid Drive, 36 Volts, 80 Newton Meters of Torque.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2114.jpg
    RockShox Monarch RT-3 Rear Shock
    Fat Biking and health-100_2116.jpg
    Magura MT5 Brake System, 203mm Front Rotor, 180mm Rear Rotor
    Fat Biking and health-100_2118.jpg
    Yamaha Display, Soft Blue Back-lit for night riding. Note mileage from Monday's Ride. Battery Charge indicator. High Power setting (max power)
    Fat Biking and health-100_2119.jpg
    Yamaha Control. Up-Down Arrows control motor output from High-Standard-Eco+, Eco and Off (No assist, monitoring speed & mileage.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2121.jpg
    42cm frame size, which is Haibike's small frame size.

Haibike Full FatSix Photos Part II

Fat Biking and health-100_2122.jpg
    Shimano Deore XT Front and Rear derailleurs, 10 speed cassette
    Fat Biking and health-100_2123.jpg
    Front sprockets. Yamaha employs a front derailleur and two front chain rings versus the small, single sprocket on the Bosch Mid Drives. I've not had occasion yet to shift to the smaller sprocket.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2124.jpg
    With the battery off, these are the 3 power lead terminals from thYe motor to the battery.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2125.jpg
    Yamaha/Haibike Battery. 400 Watt hours. 36 volts. From 10-20% capacity remaining to full charge takes about 3.5 hours using the proprietary Yamaha 110 VAC battery Charger. When full, the Battery Maintenance System circuitry shuts off the charging process. The inlet receptacle for the charging plug into the battery is found on the lower right in this photo. On Monday's ride from Home to Atsion, 31.1 miles away, I used 20 percent of the battery capacity with 80 still remaining, using the ECO+ motor setting and normal shifting to meet hills, level ground and down hill riding.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2111.jpg
    For contrast, Haibike Full FatSix, 42cm frame size, 4.0 inch fat tires.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_1874.jpg
    Versus Specialized Fatboy TT (Towpath Traveler), Medium frame size, 4.6 inch fat tires, Surly Nice Racks, Ortlieb Bags, Schmidt Son28 dyno hub, rear light & Busch & Muller IQ-X headlamp......
    Fat Biking and health-100_1997.jpg
    At Hugh Moore Canal Park, one of my favorite shots which shows the substantial size of the fatbike compared to the normal sized mountain type bike.....

mtbr member
    Hi y'all.
    Been a bit under the radar lately, so sorry everyone. I just dropped in and say hi! Hi!
    Been spending at least two hours a day on the fatty. Mostly riding the creek trail. Other than that not much is happening.
    Mama Bear got approved for some stuff she really needs. One thing is a hospital bed. This is after we bought a new queen size bed. Lol.
    This is short and sweet. Tomorrow is my 'rest' day. I will be playing catch up on some housekeeping chores. (Too many soda cans) .
    Oldbear

mtbr member

3 days in a row

7 miles on sandy Singletracks. Probably no ride tomorrow though, that thing we call work interfering with playtime . Fat Biking and health-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mike, great to see some photos of you setup, that fatstik looks like a beast. I really like the Specialized, looks like my Trolls bigger brother

Not much riding for me the last few weeks, a 90 km charity ride and a nice Sunday cruise. Too much rain to ride the trails and the large surf has kept me off the beaches. Luckily my commuting everyday feeds the need to ride.

Was planing to ride a 60 km charity ride on the mountain bike this Sunday, but the amount of rain today and forecast for tomorrow makes that seem unlikely.

Enjoy your riding.

mtbr member
    Wow, that Haibike looks like a beast! It looks like serious fun riding that thing around. The Yamaha setup looks like it pretty polished and integrated well. It does look very challenging to mount any luggage onto it though. No space for a frame bag and I don't think a traditional rear rack is going to work either. Seems like that Bindle rack you ordered is a good option for it. You canget a front rack for it though, Old Man Mountain makes one, and there may be others:

Phat Sherpa Front with 15mm Thru Axle (For Rockshox Bluto) - Old Man Mountain specializes in Racks designed to work on all bikes.

It's not cheap though! You could mount something like a Carradice on it for easy access to stuff.

On another note, I keep thinking about putting a motor and battery on one of my bikes, paired with 27.5x3.0 road tires as a quick efficient way to get to work and running errands without needing to shower. There are a number of setups and options, but it takes some work to figure out the best way to accomplish it.

Anyway, enjoy the ride and the improving weather!