Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 16566263646566
Results 3,251 to 3,264 of 3264
    Fat Biking & Health Rider
    GSXRTURBO1: Welcome to Old Bear's channel! Don't worry much over the mileage and endurance at this point; it will come, just keep it nice and steady with easy spinning of the pedals using lower gears as to keep the stress off the knees. When I got back into biking about 3 years ago, I found that doing a mile was about the upper limits of my weak biking endurance. But it did come back as it will do for you.

I like that DD30, reminds me a lot of my Fatboy except Felt really integrated the cables nicely into the tubes for a more cleaner look.

Mike

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Welcome to the Bear channel.

So you like the rest of us have some health issues. We say go out and ride regardless of distance. You'll enjoy the time and exercise will help you improve in many ways. Besides, it's just nice to enjoy the fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXRTURBO1 View Post
    new member, 55 years old here, weigh 210 height 5'9"
    bought a Felt DD30 just over a month ago
    lots of health issues, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetic, liver issues (just found out I've progressed to cirrhosis)
    Not much endurance at this point, I'm limited to rides 5 miles or less at a slow pace, but I've been riding every day that I can. I've put 70 miles on the bike in the past month.
    I'm hoping this will be a lifestyle change for me that improves my health significantly, so far so good even though it's a slower process then I'd like.
    GSXTURBO! Welcome! Good to hear the report - yup, for folks with 'real' lives, short rides is better n none! As you'll see perusing these pages, we love to talk about the sheer joy of riding a fattie in any conditions, and working to be healthier! Obviously, keep in mind other elements of improving health; diet, other exercise, and general self care.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gypsy View Post
    Pepper ~ There's a fellow in church who always says, "That's why they call it work".

A bad day off still beats a good day at work!
    True nough. Strangely, I've been one of those fortunate few who really gets a huge amount of satisfaction in life at work (helping people get healthy physically and emotionally is very rewarding). But yes, it's still work :P

Was able to have a short ride yesterday - been raining all weekend, but was still fun to rattle around on some rooty trails near my house.

Gents, still need a report in for some more weight loss!!! Banshee/Wade may not need to lose a few kilos, but most of the rest of us do!
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thanks, great site. Yes, Jumbo Jim tires. I've never ridden on another fat bike tire, so I don't have much to compare to, but these seem great. Rode in snow just a couple of times for a short distance only, but no problems that I noticed. They seem light as well.

I love the DD30, glad I went that route rather than the DD70.

Sunday's Ride Report:

Fatbike: Haibike Full FatSix
    Destination: Homebase to Mansfield Township, NJ, to Wrightstown, NJ & back to Homebase; then to Roebling, NJ....99.8% asphalt. Some dirt road pedaling outside Wrightstown

Mileage: 34
    Average Speed: 13.4
    Max Speed: 24
    Battery Capacity Left: 19%
    Weather: Moderately Chilly. Cold breeze. 45 degrees. Sunny

Notes: First ride since last ride report as the thaw has been very slow due to cold weather up to last evening.......avoiding run off & puddles alongside roadways as the county is very liberal in road salt applications after snow storms........19% capacity is the lowest I've taken the battery down. Then again, 34 miles was traveled on the High setting.......Towpath riding would be out of the question in this winter thaw condition. It's going to take a few weeks of dry weather for this snow to drain off and the pathways to thaw and dry out........Snow totals up in Allentown, PA, where I usually pedal when going on the northern towpaths was 18 inches out of this last storm. So no doubt, that canal path is under a lot of snow as of this writing..........Spring may have sprung on the calendar, but the long range forecast is showing cool weather to still dominate into mid April........

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    70+ today! Had a Mayor ride and went Jeepin along the Colorado River. Was a spectacular day, indeed. Jeepin is quantified in time as opposed to miles. 3 hours of crawling the rocks and playing in the sand.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    GTXR: welcome and enjoy yourself. Like you when I got back into cycling, I was a real mess, I was on oxygen and a huge regimen of meds for a lot of the same things you are. Our diagnosis are almost identical. Except for liver problems. I started slow and my basic ride was four to five miles on pavement. But you'll progress at your own comfotable rate. So dive on in and enjoy.
    Oldbear
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thanks everyone, I missed some of the replies earlier. I've been reading the site and particularly this thread for about a month now. I love reading everything here, and I truly love riding my fatbike. I'm hooked, no doubt about it. I'm not going anywhere, this sport and this site is exactly where and what I want to be doing, considering all of my health issues I think I'm doing rather well.

mtbr member
    GSXRTURBO1, welcome ... it has you now. Keep working, slow and steady. You will see progress just stay with it.
    Battling with my BP right now .... had to visit cardiac doc for clearance for surgery. Hadn't been in quite a while. Blood work, stress test, monitor for 24 hours. All good, doc was surprised at my cholesterol numbers. Keep doing what your doing. I had a bad weekend with the BP med changes he's made. Went today to see what was up. My BP was all over the place this weekend and high. Pressure, headaches (which I rarely get). Called him Sunday morning while he was on rounds. Talked my med regiment. Made a change over the phone and see me on Monday. I go in a sit down, they take the press and it's good. They take it again and numbers are good. I take out my machine which I brought with me and the numbers were way off. The new BP machine was bad. The new meds helped too but the machine giving bad numbers threw me way off. Back to normal today.

mtbr member
    Good luck Chief, hope you get dialed in and steady.

Turbo, we're all hooked. When I can't ride, I think about riding. Welcome to the nuthouse.

Blood Pressure; a tricky thing to get right sometimes with the proper medication. Not helping if the BP machine is off! Good to know you've got that set.

Best wishes for the upcoming surgery Chief 500. Keep us informed how it works out.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry66 View Post
    Banshee....That's pretty funny. I have a couple of "Old Farts Rule" jerseys.

I feel pretty lucky health wise, granted I am only 50...I do have osteoarthritis in my knee and I had a pretty nasty Achilles strain that limited my riding a bit last year, but overall I feel pretty good. I don't feel much different than I did 25 years ago. Then again, I am a firm believer that riding keeps you young.

My uncle is 74 and ride 10-15 miles a day. He rarely misses a day. I can only hope to be able to do that when I am his age. I hope to get in month long bikepacking trips when I retire!
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    GSXRTURBO1, welcome ... it has you now. Keep working, slow and steady. You will see progress just stay with it.
    Battling with my BP right now .... had to visit cardiac doc for clearance for surgery. Hadn't been in quite a while. Blood work, stress test, monitor for 24 hours. All good, doc was surprised at my cholesterol numbers. Keep doing what your doing. I had a bad weekend with the BP med changes he's made. Went today to see what was up. My BP was all over the place this weekend and high. Pressure, headaches (which I rarely get). Called him Sunday morning while he was on rounds. Talked my med regiment. Made a change over the phone and see me on Monday. I go in a sit down, they take the press and it's good. They take it again and numbers are good. I take out my machine which I brought with me and the numbers were way off. The new BP machine was bad. The new meds helped too but the machine giving bad numbers threw me way off. Back to normal today.
    There are times when I wish I was equipped with an OBDII port and Doc could plug in the scan tool and adjust some parameters and be good to go.
    I went in to my cardiologist the first week of March for the 3 year followup. Results are favorable with no detectable scarring on my heart. Doc says I can rail the fatty now! Yay! I too have one of those BP machines but take its results with a grain of salt
    Hope you get it sorted and are good to go on the knee job.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    There are times when I wish I was equipped with an OBDII port and Doc could plug in the scan tool and adjust some parameters and be good to go.
    I went in to my cardiologist the first week of March for the 3 year followup. Results are favorable with no detectable scarring on my heart. Doc says I can rail the fatty now! Yay! I too have one of those BP machines but take its results with a grain of salt
    Hope you get it sorted and are good to go on the knee job.
    OBDII port... isn't that the truth! Make a couple changes to some of our bodies table values and be good to go. Nice thought, if only it were that easy. Well, at least we can enjoy riding our bikes while we do good things for our bodies!

Winter Cold Returns....Today's Ride Report

Today's Ride Report: Haibike Full FatSix

Destination: Homebase to southbound, Delran, New Jersey and back to Homebase

Distance: 39 miles
    Average Speed:13.4 mph
    Top Speed: 23 mph
    Battery Power Remaining at end of ride: 13%
    Weather: Sunny, breezy. Cold, 42 degrees

Notes: Clothing ensemble these past few weeks continue: wool socks, long winter cycling pants, 3 poly pro athletic shirts, 2 of which are long sleeve; wool long sleeve over top, vest, balaclava & heavy duty military cap with ear flaps; full fingered winter Pearl Izumi cycling gloves.......And it's still cold!.........stopped at hometown post office to allow buddy who was off-going from his job there a ride on the electric Haibike.......came back completely blown away by the power of the Yamaha mid-drive. Looks like a future convert! ..........back to the ride: southbound, I used the Standard power setting in order to conserve power.......On the way back home, northbound, I put the motor setting to High power, allowing me to run at a steady 20 mph for long stretches or road way............Hope to get some photos taken and posted here before I start adding the "Towpath" additions to her...........Tomorrow has rain on tap and moderating temperatures, but we'll see............

Mike

Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 16566263646566