Page 64 of 66 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566 LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,400 of 6546
    mtbr member
    NICE OZ, losing weight on vacation.

Old Bear alert, I saw this on FB this morning from yesterday:

Tonight i called the nursing home in alabama where my wife is. I found out that she was taken to the hospital Thursday night due to an issue with her liver. They couldn't reach me because my phone was out of service.
    But she is in good spirits and will get out soon. Please pray for her.

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    Surly In Oz: Congrats on the weight loss! It's a rare thing to know someone has lost weight coming OFF of a vacation; usually it's the opposite. Where Homebase is, there simply is very little to none off road opportunities due to the region being all developed and built out. Even the "country roads" these days have lost their character. It's a good haul to get to Easton, PA, so ideally, the day has to start early...especially with the days growing shorter and shorter now as we begin our slide into autumn.

I desperately want to make a towpath run up at Jim Thorpe, PA, doing the fantastic Lehigh Gorge run and hope to do so in the coming weeks of summertime left, as well as one run in the fall, when the leaves turn color to bright yellows, oranges and red.

G: Thoughts and prayers to Californians affected by this latest fire. All this destruction caused by some kind of vehicle "malfunction"....hard to comprehend this. I recieved my order of Dupont Chain Saver Chain Lube with Teflon. Curious thing, looking at the manufacturer on the bottle, it's made by Finish Line. I used to use the Finish Line dry lube a few years ago on the Trek 9000. The stuff is very, very liquid upon application. I expect to go out to the bike and find the chain covered in a nice film of slick teflon. Ride report and observations to follow.

Chief: Thanks for the Old Bear update. Thoughts and prayers sent his way for Mrs Old Bear as well. Strange that he kinda dropped out from his own thread here. Hope he gets to posting again; when things settle out with the Mrs on a solid road to recovery.

The promise of a low humidity day on Saturday never passed. Once again, our wx forecasters missed the beat. However, today is a more lower humidity kinda day. Think I'll make a run; not sure at this moment. Too late for a northern canal run and besides, the bike is nice, clean and lubed after Friday's Murky Canal Run up north!

Hope everyone has a chance to get out and do a run, no matter where or how long the trip!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Glad the fires a passing you by G, its been a terrible week around the world for fires and storms. No regrets on the CL purchase? seems like a great way to use the older lenses.
    Thanks, Surly!

No regrets whatever on the CL. It's exactly what I'd hoped for and more. I scanned a couple of 21 year old Minox negatives with it today, using a macro setup using my Leica R lens and focusing bellows. Perfect! For my specific uses, it's even better than the higher-end SL body I had was. I'm very very pleased.

---
    Two rides, two days.

Nothing dramatic happened on either. Yesterday morning was my usual Saturday breakfast ride and visit with the Boyz at the cafe downtown. I took my usual loop down there and added about six miles to it on the way back for an 18 mile day.

Today I concentrated on doing things at home and at my desk, decided to go for a ride for coffee in the late afternoon. Back down to the same cafe downtown, via another variant of the loop, and back a slightly shorter run for a 13 mile day.

I've gotten so, so comfortable on FCC now. 13 to 18 miles hardly feels like much at all, it's just a matter of time available... I'm ramping up another trip plan now, so getting very busy: I should be heading out for the Isle of Man, points in the UK, and then back home through Boston, Cape Cod, New York, and train across the country. Will be gone about five weeks, presuming it all works out.

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    G: Thoughts and prayers to Californians affected by this latest fire. All this destruction caused by some kind of vehicle "malfunction"....hard to comprehend this. I recieved my order of Dupont Chain Saver Chain Lube with Teflon. Curious thing, looking at the manufacturer on the bottle, it's made by Finish Line. I used to use the Finish Line dry lube a few years ago on the Trek 9000. The stuff is very, very liquid upon application. I expect to go out to the bike and find the chain covered in a nice film of slick teflon. Ride report and observations to follow. ...
    Looking forward to it. The stuff is near magic for me. Yeah, it goes on very thin and liquid, dries nearly dry. Very very slick stuff. :-)

Thanks for the well wishes. Just sent a donation off for the fire cleanup relief fund. A mess. Weather here was coolish all weekend, hopefully that's helping the firefighters out a bit.

G

mtbr member
    Sure hope Old Bear's wife will be OK.

Did my usual loop in Lost Dutchman both days of the weekend. Saturday, I did it at 1:30 PM in 106 degree sunny weather. Not a soul on the trails.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180728_134828017%5B1%5D.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_20180728_135133710%5B1%5D.jpg

Sunday, I was out there around 7:30 under some cloud cover.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180729_084852371%5B1%5D.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_20180729_091237970_hdr%5B1%5D.jpg
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    The Bear has been found!

Mrs. Old Bear is still hospitalized at this point and doing well. OldBear is trying to get her transferred to Mo. to be closer and give him the opportunity to visit and such.

Damn, DH! great pix of fat territory. The Mayor loves to ride those trails. Good times with the sand and arroyos.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Wade: That is a long hospitalization for Mrs Bear; but great to hear she is doing well. This is no doubt tough on Old Bear and Son as well. Appreciate that update. Best wishes for a full recovery; ideally to see the Clan back in MO and all on fatbikes.

DH: Endless horizon. Nice photos; a stark contrast between the built up vistas of what I post up here and what you present there. How has that Cane Creek Thudbuster been for you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Ach, so sad to hear oldbear's troubles. I'm glad the missus is doing a bit better. It's so tough to be separated from your loved one in times like this, my heart goes out to them both. I hope it all comes well soon!

---
    I rode my bicycle to Cupertino yesterday and had lunch with one of my buddies there. I had the camera with me with the notion of stopping to take some photos along the way there and back ... never did, but Cameron took a snap of me and I took a snap of him at the end of our lunch.

Being in Cupertino let me stop in to Trail Head Cyclery's new location there ... It's right across the street from where I lived for fourteen years! They've done a beautiful job with the building and the new store layout, very nice to see.

I saw one of the management chatting with a representative from a tech firm. They invited me into the conversation ... this firm is producing a new electronic shifter that can be added onto nearly any bike and any derailleur setup. I asked specifically if it would handle a wide range cassette like my Sunrace 11-46T and he pointed to a Santa Cruz model bike with an 11-52T 12-speed and the same Shimano XT derailleur equipped with it as a test rig. Pretty slick. It's about a 200g unit, all up with batteries, nice and compact, that mounts to the rear stay and the handlebar. Supposedly gives cleaner shifting because each step can be individually adjusted for optimum actuation and the cables to the derailleur are short so much less opportunity for slop to develop. Seems very slick ... I'll have to take a bike equipped with one out for a ride to see what it feels like.

The only thing I'm a little skeptical about on this brief glimpse is the notion of making the shifter dependent upon batteries for their function. It's probably a concern with no merit for most of my riding ... If the batteries will last for, say, five hours riding time, that's longer than I might need except for very infrequent occasions (none so far), but it is two more batteries to have to maintain.

Anyway, I hung out there for just a little while longer, headed up and over the Mary Avenue bridge across Interstate 280 once again—that's always a pleasant ride!—and blasted down the long downhill back to Santa Clara. It had now gotten to be about 3:30 so I stopped for a cup of coffee at the local cafe, then cycled home.

A very nice ride, about 17 miles total. I worked really hard getting up to Cupertino (usually takes me 45 minutes, I did it in 28!) and my right leg near the hip (that was my hip replacement) is a trifle sore as a result. It's still a bit weaker than the left, although improving every week. I think it's the residual scar tissue that's still sorting itself out: I get small episodes on about a six week cycle where the hip and thigh become a bit stiff and sore, then relax back into a stronger, smoother feel. This may go on forever, who can tell?

But a fine day it was! I capped the day at a Mars-gazing party: One of our neighbors brought in a 10 inch reflecting telescope and set up to do some observations, invited all the residents of the building to come join in. It was a nice clear night, barring a little haze from all the fires to the north, east, and south. We observed first Venus, then Jupiter, then Saturn, then a couple of globular clusters and binary stars, and finally Mars. Mars is at close approach right now, last night it was only 35.4 Million miles away, and with such a bright, high power telescope it was easy to see lots of features. Brilliant stuff!

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    DH, stark contrast to my turf. We've had a wet summer so far and everything is so green. But whether desert or rain forests, a day on the bike beats almost everything else. Here are some shots from my latest rides. My last trip to Mexico is next week so hopefully I will get back on track with regular rides. I am planning on taking Friday off and hitting a new trail somewhere. Stay tuned. Fat Biking and health-img_3700.jpgFat Biking and health-img_3698.jpg

mtbr member
    DH, great pic's. Dessert ride would be different from the tropical temps (93°) we have in the east right now. Dew points in the 70% category is tough riding.

Wade, Old bear has been posting on FB pretty regularly and updating there.

Mike, I couldn't imagine being separated from my wife if she was ill. I'd be crazy.

G, I usually forget I have my phone for pic's when I have it.

TexMex, that looks like where I road today.

The trails I hit today were wet from rain this morning and humid in there. Lots of deer out and bedded down early.

mtbr member
    Hey there, guys, hope all is well for everyone.

Humidity has been up over 60% lately due to monsoons, so I can't rib about it being a dry heat, but it will become that way all too soon until the winter rains (which are hit or miss here).

The Thudbuster may add a little heft to the heifer, but it does allow more seated riding and takes the edge off of big hits. Between it and the mondo tires, smaller stuff disappears.

I'm going to plan a trip up to Prescott soon, so I will get a bit of forest riding in this fall.

Cheers, folks!
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Pass on my well wishes to old bear and the wife. His simple outreach has grown to over 6300 posts. There are a lot of folks who connected through old bear.

I was getting ready to go ride the state park today, when I went outside my van was gone. My daughter took it to work because her car was in the shop. She told my wife but didn't tell me. So I was pondering what paved route I might be stuck riding when I got a text from the guy that rode with me out of that storm a couple weeks ago. He and his buddy were heading to the state park, I asked if he had room in his truck to give me a lift. So he did.

They were fast and pushed me hard. They let me stay in sight of them until the last mile. He was rolling back to meet me from the trail head and said "If you look, you will see you beat your best time by several minutes" (we finished in 37 minutes, my previous best was 42). It is amazing how much faster you can go when someone pushes you along. I am not sure I could ride with these guys every day, but it was a great feeling to have substantial measurable improvements. My weight has loss somewhat plateaued, but I am still getting stronger.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    DH, you can run but you cannot hide from that humidity! We are due for our share with monsoon season being off to a late start.
    Instead, we are dealing with wild fires all around us and the smoke etc.

Tex! Sounds like you made out just fine with a couple friends jonesin to ride and available to offer a lift. Now ya just need to open the throttle a lil more than you usually do. Surprises come from doing that. A few weeks of it and suddenly you notice the increase in over all performance on the trails.

Aisan and Sarge are good at enticing wide open throttle runs. Since the heart surgery and MI four years ago, I have had to restart from scratch to build the stamina and endurance let alone be able to go wide open without utterly falling on my face. If it wasn't for the Mayor, Sarge and Aisan, I would not be at the current state I'm in. Frankly, I still have a long way to go but those three bikes have been so damn good to me during the recovery process. I can say, I am eternally grateful for these bikes being a major contribution in my life.
    Now I am helping a friend that had a massive heart attack 30 days ago to get back on track.

Chief, thanks for that. He might post on FB, but text sux compared to hearing a god friend's voice and enjoying good conversation.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    G, I usually forget I have my phone for pic's when I have it.
    I do the same. However, these two photos were made with my new camera; I'd brought it along because Cameron was interested to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    ... My weight has loss somewhat plateaued, but I am still getting stronger.
    I'm there with you, texmex. I've been kinda stuck at this weight for some weeks ... but things are changing still. My legs are getting stronger and stronger and... Today I took the motorcycle out for a ride to breakfast this morning. The new Levis I bought recently—two sizes smaller!—because the pair I bought last Summer were falling off my butt are now falling off my butt. I need the next size down again. And yet the legs have gotten snugger because my quads have grown.

It's a good problem to have!

---
    Been cycling every day, typically 14-17 miles each time out. Same today: A nice long loop, a stop for lunch in the middle at the cafe over in Japan Town. That ride this morning on the motorcycle? I hadn't been out on it in a few weeks, and I can tell immediately that my stronger legs and time on the bicycle has improved my motorcycle control and riding capability by another big increment. It's so rewarding to feel it all coming back!

I've just finished booking my 2018 big trip's transport. I'll be away for nearly six weeks, visiting motorcycle races and friends in the British Isles as well as the Northeast USA. Now I have three weeks to get everything ready for departure ... Going to be a push, but I can't wait. On this trip, I'll be coming home from New York City via the Lake Shore Limited train to Chicago, then the California Zephyr across the expanse of the American West! This is a trip I've wanted to do since I was in my mid-20s, a big one on the bucket list.

onwards!
    G
    Last edited by ramarren; 08-03-2018 at 07:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Well gents, from Personal Records and Pride one day to Humbled by a Hike-a-bike the next. I took a ride at AW Marion State Park, which is just South of Columbus. The mountain bike trail circles Hargus Lake. It is a lot of very steep climbs ranging from 40' to '80 in elevation and grades often more than 10%. It was really tough, but also very beautiful. The trails were not technically challenging, but definitely physically exhausting. There were a couple spots I just could not pedal through.
    Fat Biking and health-file1.jpgFat Biking and health-file2.jpgFat Biking and health-file3.jpg
    I guess you keep pushing limits until you expand them.

My reward was smoked ribs (in moderation, of course). I smoked two racks, one with a chipotle/cinnamon rub and the other with a classic barbeque rub. Hickory chips were the fuel of choice. Having a pellet smoker means I simply had to put the ribs on, go for a ride and have dinner ready. It is a really big improvement from the old days of tending the smoker all day.
    Fat Biking and health-file.jpg

Tex: Very nice! And great riding, too! Each ride can find in it, it's own set of personal challenges; taken full-on or nice n easy. It's these little things that keeps my interest stoked in these fatbikes!

Nice to see the gang up and about, posting!

Ride report to follow....

Friday's Ride Report: Trail Maintenance

Well, the weather has been sub-tropical, with extremely high humidity kicking off showers, followed by clearing and more humidity. Today's run was a Homebase to Lock 1, Delaware and Raritan Canal towpath ride, up to Trenton, NJ and back. Specifically so I can do a bit of cutting and trimming on a particular stretch of canal towpath up at Duck Island, where the weeds and sticker bushes have closed in on the small, single track towpath. So, I took along a small garden hand clipper as I did not want to carry anything bigger. Here we go...
    Fat Biking and health-100_3400.jpg
    Northbound a wee bit north of 2 locked gates, Duck Island. The picture doesn't do justice to the weeds intruding on the riding path, especially the long sticker bushes. I brushed up against one last week and I said, enough is enough.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3401.jpg
    Looking southbound at the second gate. I'll trim this stuff out, too.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3402.jpg
    Leaning up against a locked towpath gate. Basically, on this towpath run, there are 5 state park gates. These are the only 2 that remain locked. The rest are not. The double gates at the north end of this run are unlocked and the one gate owned by NJ Transit, has been completely deranged & bent up beyond repair. An open invitation to illegal dumpers to waltz right in. And the thing is, I don't think these "land managers" care at this point!
    Fat Biking and health-100_3403.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3404.jpg
    After about 2 hours of clipping back the overgrowth, I was pretty happy with the results. A lot of sticker bushes were removed and placed off the towpath as the would definitely puncture the tires of any bikes going by. Bright sunlight and I was sweating like a pig, the shirt and pants completely soaked.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3406.jpg
    This cleaned up nice, too. Now, I can go right through the little opening there and not have any fear of picking up a tick or two from brushing past the growth.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3407.jpg
    Close to the north end of this towpath run at Trenton and I come upon this. Looks to be a gravesite....maybe a pet of somekind? I hope it remains untouched by the locals. That puts the number to 3 memorials to people and/or pets in this general local run, 2 on the towpath itself and one up near the fuel tank farms & a small walking path used by fishermen to get to the Delaware River by foot.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3408.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3409.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3410.jpg
    I turned around at Trenton to head back home. The skies went from bright sunshine to storm front. Thunder was in the air as I got to the I-295 bridge, so my plan was to get to Bordentown and wait out the storm under a Gazebo there. The winds whipped up on the towpath, which had me thinking of getting out of there as fast as I can as these trees have been known to break off and uproot in high wind/storm conditions. It rained, I was soaking wet when I got under the Gazebo and waited out as several storms passed over from the west. Wiped the bike down, wiped myself dry as I could, listened to some talk radio and ventured home as the storm stopped and things dried out a bit.....

mtbr member
    I got home yesterday a lil after lunch, had lunch and a quick nap and wanted to be out by 2pm. My 20 minute nap was perfect. I got up cleaned up and got changed and headed out the back door into rain. I went back in, the thunder started and rolled through for a while. My wife called and wanted to know if I was home or out riding in this storm. Just a mile away at her work it was pouring. We had rain but nothing severe, the thunder and lightening kept me in the house. I fell back asleep on the couch, I guess I needed it. My wife got home around 4 and woke me up. It was still raining, not as hard but it was all around us. So no ride yesterday.
    Got up this morning and was intending to drive to Yardley area and ride to Washington Crossing with my wife on the canal and then pack her up and then head home on my bike. A nice long ride for me. WELL it was raining this morning at home. Not pouring but enough, to make me wait. The sun came out and then it rained again, hit & miss for the area. I finally told my wife I'm going, we'll ride around here so just in case, it was raining but light enough to be out in it and no thunder in the area. She came out but went back in the house, I have things I can do and not get soaked to the skin. I smiled, kissed her good bye and off I went. It dried up and I got 14+ miles in. It was damp for a few miles and then dried out.

Tomorrow's am I hope provides clear weather to get my canal ride in.

Have a good weekend everyone, heading out to grill some burgers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Chief those trails sound like the ones close to my house, the down hill bends have a nasty habit of turning into an hair pin turn uphill pinch climb Still no shame in walking every now and then

That looks like a a great dinner waiting for you.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mike, mighty nice of you to look after the trails. Getting hit by a storm is hardly a fitting payment.

Riding around my local loop yesterday I can see that I might need to take a trail tool out and remove a few saplings and fix some breaking bumps.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

A weekend riding...

Hi everyone its been a beautiful weekend down here and my first chance to get out for some riding after our trip.

On Saturday I had a late start around lunch time and just took the Monkey for a spin on my local trails. The weather is warm for this time of year and after a few kms my wool under shirt was coming off and I was riding in my normal summer gear. Not that I was riding too well as lack of time on the trails had me missing lines and corners and generally sliding around the place. Still fun to be back out on the bike.

Fat Biking and health-img_2283.jpg

Out on the road bike this morning my recent weight loss was again apparent as I took on a local road climb that I normally avoid. I managed to sit and spin my way you the climb were as I normally have to stand and mash the pedals to the top.

Anyway hope you all have great Sundays.

OZ.

Hi Surly in Oz: There are enough shattered downfalls on that towpath that makes being on there when the high winds come in a worrisome experience. My riding out of there had eyes both on the path and at the tree tops!

Great to hear the weight loss has brought a new angle to your biking out on the trails.

Question for ya: Being it Australian winter, is the weed growth somewhat blunted by the loss of sun hours during the day?

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mike, summer in this part of OZ are not too harsh. The native plants keep growing slowly the invasive weeds slow down some what, the problem for everything this winter is the lack of water. We have had very little rain, indeed much of the country is in a severe drought. Farmers in many parts of the states of New South Wales and Queensland have not seen good rain fall in three years. If they don't receive some winter rain and a wet spring things are going to be drastic. As it is the government is stepping in with assistance as are many people who are organising food drops, hay drops and many other ways of lending the farmers a hand.

Many old farmers have never seen a drought like it. Towns in the upper Hunter Valley inland from my place are going to run out of water in the next few months. So we really need the rain tap turned on now to help these guys out. Problem is the big high pressures systems keep sitting in the middle of OZ blocking the rain fronts from moving north.

Again today and yesterday had not a cloud in the sky and temps in the mid twenty dec C. So send all the rain you don't want down here it would make a lot of people very happy.

OZ.

mtbr member
    OZ, great to see that you got out. The trails here don't have any elevation to them but plenty of mud. Good to hear the lbs drop has you feeling fit and doing things you used to avoid. GREAT news. Congrats.

Up early, loaded the bike up and headed to Yardley for a ride. Got onto the canal path at 7:45ish and pedaled home to Bristol. A few stops for pictures, to talk with a walker near Morrisville and then for more water in Falls Park. It was warm and very humid high 80's and near 60 in humidity. Good ride. I re-hide a rock I found yesterday and found another today. I got home and cooled down some. I then trimmed and cut my grass and my neighbors grass. Good workout, then I washed my bike off and ran the water over my head. MAN did that feel good.

18.6 miles, 1:52:00 min's, 9.9 avg speed. Slow day with all the stops and the heat.

Early on the canal.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4802.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_4801.jpg
    Some artwork along the NE corridor.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4811.jpg
    Mile marker along the canal. you have to pay attention to find them
    Fat Biking and health-img_4813.jpg
    Where I fell a few months ago.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4817.jpg
    I treed a blue herron
    Fat Biking and health-img_4822.jpg
    The rock is on the lower right.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4823.jpg
    The rock I re-hid.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4824.jpg
    Lunch with my wife
    Fat Biking and health-img_4825.jpg

mtbr member
    Some bad news from Old Bear on FB:

Please please please pray for my wife Sue..her situation has gotten worse. She is lethargic and her liver function numbers are at a dangerous levels. Imy daughter is traveling down to be with her.

Keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Some bad news from Old Bear on FB:

Please please please pray for my wife Sue..her situation has gotten worse. She is lethargic and her liver function numbers are at a dangerous levels. Imy daughter is traveling down to be with her.

Keep them in your thoughts and prayers.
    Thanks, Chief. I have tried to check in with Fred only to find that his phone is out of service again. Go figure!

Sue, we have been praying for you for a very long time. Now more than ever. Get well and return home to Fred soon.
    Doctor recommended...

Surly in Oz: Thanks for that info. How I wish we can change these weather patterns and fronts to send rain to those areas of the world needed. We have had more than enough rain to tide others in need over just fine. In Central Pennsylvania, rivers and creeks are in flood from recent rains. Really hoping the farmers in your homeland recieve relief soon.

Chief: Really nice pictures there. While you were out on your D&L Canal run, I did a 36 mile asphalt only run down to Riverside Marina and back. Not at all picturesque as the run you made yesterday.

Nothing but warm thoughts and prayers for Mrs OldBear and family.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    Nothing but warm thoughts and prayers for Mrs OldBear and family.
    Indeed. Illness of a loved one is so hard to take. I hope for the best.

---
    No ride yesterday, I took the day off to rest as my right thigh was spasming a bit with all the pushing on it I've done in the past week and some. It helped a lot, as did massaging it and rubbing it with a goop that my acupuncturist recommended. Felt fine today, and I had a lunch with friends scheduled in Cupertino, so I left early and made lunch the center moment of a nice long ride on a different loop than usual.

I rode a familiar and slightly boring path along the Caltrain tracks from home into Sunnyvale and stopped in for a few moments to see the mechanic who works on my car. He and his wife are great folks; I'd not seen them in six weeks or more. After a few moments of pleasantries there, I turned south on Mary Avenue and rode through to Cupertino that way, traversing the Interstate 280 and Hwy 85 junction over the Mary Avenue Bridge that I've mentioned in previous notes. Right there at the bridge entrance path, next to the high school, there's a summer study group working on xylophones and steel drums most days ... I stopped for a few minutes to appreciate their practice. They sounded just great! I gave them a bit of bell ringing and applause, then stood and took a bow, smiling and laughing at my shenanigans. I then waved and took off over the bridge.

I'd carried my camera today and did take a single photo of the bridge from the north side, but it is a hazy, smokey day out (due to the fires North, East, and South of the area) and the lovely vistas from the span are a bit shrouded. Ah well, no matter. I pounded on through, avoided the obnoxious goon in a truck who passed me in one second and then tried to cut me off to fit his too big, too fat truck into a too small parking space at the last minute. He got a bit of a scolding from me (I stopped in plenty of time to avoid him crushing me but it wasn't pleasant and could have gone else wise), called that he was sorry, he hadn't looked. I rode on to the restaurant and met my friends there.

After a fine lunch and chat, we broke up and I took off south again, turned east at Bollinger Street and enjoyed riding through an area I haven't seen much before. Bollinger takes me several miles toward San Jose, into Santa Clara at the western/southern end, and crosses three major roads before turning onto Williams, which leads several miles further and lands me onto Winchester Blvd just a few blocks from the famous Winchester House landmark. I turned onto side streets there, negotiating my way around the Santana Row shopping center and the Valley Fair Mall, and exited onto the back roads north of I-280 that wind about a little and up to my neighborhood and home.

Fat Biking and health-20180806-lunch_ride.jpg

All told, a three and a half hour trip, two hours of it riding time, and 21 miles more on this fabulous bicycle. I'm happy!

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    Man, it was dog breath hot this evening. Hot & humid again after yesterday's ride I told myself to go short and easy today. Loop around town, 10.27 miles on the Crosstrail, in 56.17 with an average of 10.9. I stopped to repel some rocks on this loop and also stopped to hid a rock I found yesterday.
    I got home and stretched and little, watered the plants and put new pedals on the Fuse. During yesterday's ride and in the past with the moisture from the grass and rain I've been riding in every once in the while my feet have been sliding off the pedals. I had replaced them on my Crosstrail with Specialized Bennies and have had no issues so I put them on the Fuse too. I'll check them out soon.

Nice report G, be careful with the vehicles. The heat of the moment isn't worth a true injury due to a confrontation with a non-caring driver.

mtbr member
    Sending hopes and wishes Old Bear's way ...
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    After having a conversation with the Bear today...

It's sounding like Sue is in liver and kidney failure. Please do pray for the Bear clan!
    Doctor recommended...

Thanks for the update, Wade. Tough, tough situation for Sue; but I am hoping and praying for her and the clan, as well.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Heya, Mike!

It is indeed... I'm afraid she is in trouble. Fred is a wreck and cannot be at her side since he's in Missouri and she is in Alabama. That alone has made for a very difficult time in the Bear clan. I'll give him a shout again today.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Ach, so sad to hear of continued illness for mrs oldbear.
    I continue to send my thoughts for her improvement, and for oldbear himself who must suffer through this without being near. That's one miserable situation for both.

Nice report G, be careful with the vehicles. The heat of the moment isn't worth a true injury due to a confrontation with a non-caring driver.
    Oh, I'm darn careful. I know this guy saw me ... saw him go around me! ... he then*just forgot when he saw a parking space. Doh! A couple of shouts, an expletive or two, apology, a nod and a thumbs up. It's the usual stuff. A couple tenths of a second different and the interaction can all go south fast, but it's one of the challenges riding on the street and you just have to accept that the biggest danger on the road today is distracted drivers who aren't thinking in the moment. To me, this just means being even more aware and taking care not to put myself in harms way as best I can.

I did make one exposure yesterday, a shot of the Mary Avenue Bridge at the bottom of the path from the north side. It's a beautiful bridge, really, but there are few decent viewpoints to get a nice photo of it. So I concentrated on the sinuous path up...

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Banshee thanks for the the update on Fred and his wife, I cannot imagine how hard that must be for him to not be with his wife at this time.

Be sure to give him our best wishes when you talk to him.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Chief thats a great looking place to ride in the early morning light. I don't believe the rock thing as made its way down here yet, give it time

Mike much of New South Wales had a rain band pass over it on Monday. Sadly it passed through quickly and only really dampened the dust for a day or two. A famous Australian poet Dorothea Mackellar wrote a poem "My Country" that is very popular down here and one section is often quoted.

"I love a sunburnt country,
    A land of sweeping plains,
    Of ragged mountain ranges,
    Of droughts and flooding rains,
    I love her far horizons,
    I love her jewel-sea,
    Her beauty and terror-
    The wide brown land for me!"

Seems these days the droughts are out numbering the days of flooding rains.

Still it can bring out the best in people, people from all over a buying bales of hay on line to donate to farmers. Others are offering free holidays away from the farms, others arriving on the farms to lend a hand. At work someone started a food drive last week and the room its being stored in is already over flowing.

All little things that hopefully bring some relief to the farming family until the rains return.

Or as Ms Mackellar continued on in "My Country"

"Core of my heart, my country!
    Her pitiless blue sky,
    When sick at heart, around us,
    We see the cattle die -
    But then the grey clouds gather,
    And we can bless again
    The drumming of an army,
    The steady soaking rain.

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Another Bear report is in, with a heavy heart. This one is the most difficult I have ever had to write. From the sound of Sue's current condition, Sadly, she is not expected to live through the evening. Sue is experiencing liver and kidney failure at this time and has become worse. Fred and I did talk at length and he explained that his children were at her bedside and the doctors said she likely will pass and there is nothing further to do but make her comfortable.

Sigh...

Fred extends a heart felt thanks to all in the Bear channel for their warm wishes and prayers. It means very, very much to him at this time.

Thank you all for the support.
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mama Bear passed away at 4:20 this afternoon.

Fred is a wreck and having read the posts of support to him this afternoon has helped him immensely.
    Thank you all so very much.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    My sincere condolences to Fred (Old bear) and the Cotterell family. Rest in Peace Sue Cotterell (Mama Bear).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Banshee...

Fred no words can express my sadness for the loss of your beloved wife Sue.

To you and your family my sincere condolences.

R.I.P

Stephen.

Surly In Oz: What a lovely, generous spirit your fellow countrymen and women have displayed in what sounds like rough times for the Australian farmer. Here is to hope that the life giving rains come your way again, giving life to the land around you.

Wade: You have been such a good friend to Fred over the years in this Fat Biking and Health adventure here. And a good friend to the rest of us as well.

Fred: My sincere condolences on the loss of your beloved Sue. You all will be in my daily thoughts and prayers in the coming days, weeks and months to come. Know that you have many friends you've never met, via this forum you've started, who are pulling for you and the kids and especially for Mama Sue. We are all here for you in this time of great personal loss.

Mike

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    On a happier and fun topic...

Last year, I found a pair of Clownshoe rims with brand new Bud/Lou on em at the second hand sporting goods outlet for dirt cheap. Well, I finally broke down and laced em up with a fresh pair of Hope Pro4 hubs. After the wheel build and swapping the rotors over from the other wheelset to the clown shoes, out the door to give 100mm wide rims a shakedown! I was pleasantly surprised at how the wider rims make the tires feel like they have far less rolling resistance than I remember the Bud/Lou having on 80mm rims. Handling is much improved as well since the tires are not as needlessly rounded by a narrower rim. Handling is spot on and feels like a small tire bike, very nimble and comfortable. 5 psi in the Bud/Lou on clown shoes feels identical to 8 psi on 80mm rims. The takeaway is that ride comfort is vastly improved, handling is vastly improved and fuel economy, vastly improved with an amazingly aggressive tire. This pair of wheels with the 5.05's come winter oughtta be amazing for the 1.5-2 psi powder day ride. There is another side benefit of the 100mm wheels... Fewer air pressure adjustments due to the improved shape of the crown of the tires. They roll better, they float better with less squish. Now for some loose terrain testing to further test the fatter wheels and those super sweet tires! I am pondering the performance of the JJ 4.8's on these rims.

And a followup... Thankya, Mike.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Mama Bear passed away at 4:20 this afternoon.
    My sincere condolences for Fred and his family.

"Only in silence the word,
    only in dark the light,
    only in dying, Life;
    bright the hawk's flight
    on the empty sky."

- Song of Ea

It's been a particularly long year of deaths in family and friends; people that I love. It is the price of the miracle of living. One can only accept, grieve, remember with dignity and joy, and keep going.

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Yes, keep on going.

Wade: Sounds like those Clownshoe rims and your tires are doing what the FCC's 90mm rims and my Dura Fleetwoods do. The bike feels GREAT with them on it... Even my snarkiest roadie friend (who has basically not had a single good word for my bike since I got it... it's okay, I forgive her ... ) who took it for a ride last evening couldn't resist a smile on her face last evening after she took it for a ride and said, "Well, okay: It does feel pretty good. ..."

LOL!

---
    I've got two weeks to prepare for my big long trip ... I'll be traveling for six weeks, August 22 to October 4, and thus away from my bicycling. The trip is making me more and more excited as all the bits and pieces for it come together, but I don't want to lose any more time than I have to of this end of Summer time for riding.

Yesterday I was running around in the car doing essential shopping for the trip. Needed some trousers that actually fit correctly (all of mine were now too big) ... I got a kick out of the fact that my favorite Levis jeans (541s in the athletic cut, with a 5% stretch material for excellent conformance when you move) are now sizing correctly on my butt with a ten inch smaller waist than what I had to buy a year and a half ago!!! Found a nice pair of casual pants*and athletic shorts that fit nicely too (the latter were funny because my quads have gotten so much larger in circumference that the ones that were once uncomfortably loose feeling are now just the right side of modestly snug).

While all that was very satisfying and encouraging, I realized that the day was mostly gone by the time I got back to home base. On Tuesday evenings, my motorcycle folks have been gathering for dinner at a repeating sequence of different restaurants and I usually make the effort to be there on the motorcycle for that. Hmm. It's one of my particular favorite restaurants on the circuit last night, only eight or so miles away, I haven't had my ride, it's a warm evening, I'll be away in two weeks and will miss many warm evenings to ride, do I really want to pull on all the bulky, heavy motorcycle gear for a sixteen mile ride, hmm hmm hmm.

I stopped in at the LBS for my last stop on the way home and bought a Bontrager Ion 450R headlight to supplement my little wink lights for night riding. Decided that it was time to take my ride and just go to dinner on the bicycle. I'll take Racer out for a ride to lunch at Alice's Restaurant up on Skyline Blvd on Friday...

I left at 6:05. The ride itself is one that I've done many times; it's nothing to really get all excited about, just a long uphill chug alongside the Caltrain tracks, basically, through residential and mixed commercial neighborhoods. Bike lanes marked most of the way, mostly smooth pavement, etc. Traffic was a little heavy on the way there (mid-commute hour) but no incidents or surprises.

I arrive, lock up the bike, and turn just as my friend Linda arrived. She looked me up and down. "First time I see you in your bicycle gear. DAMN, boy, them legs look GOOD! And what happened to your belly?..." I love this woman.

Dinner was our usual evening's banter and fun around the table. I've known most of the people for more than 20 years, we're all very close. And there was a little undertone of "hmm, what's that new bike G is riding?" About nine, we decided to give the restaurant their table back ... And everyone HAD to take FCC for a ride around the parking lot. I laughed: we used to do this every time someone showed up with a new motorcycle 15-20 years ago. Just as much excitement over a carbon fat bike now as there once was over the latest Honda or Ducati. Massive fun!

Finally I clicked my new, more powerful headlight into place and took off for home.

Obviously, the return down the same path nets a gentle downhill to help me along, and the consistent, every day, late afternoon wind is gone, so I'm booking along quite nicely. One of my buddies comes up alongside me on his '92 BMW GS motorcycle about a third or a half of the way and beeps: "Dang, you're running almost 18 miles an hour, You Old Man!" he laughs. I rang the bell a few times as he sped off into the dark. I love my friends.

A bit over 16 miles round trip. Arrived home about 9:35pm or so, sweated up nicely and breathing hard. It was just nipping under 70°F when I pulled in but I wasn't cold at all, in just my light jersey, light gloves, and bike shorts. My partner shoved me into the shower, "Sheesh, you're wet as a damp dishrag! And smell as bad!"

What a great night ride! Got to get out for another couple of those, it was too much fun.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Another night ride...

Hi everyone, hope this finds you all well.

Just noticed your post on night riding G and thats what I have been up to this evening.

I have only ridden to work once this week, I just had a feeling that a car was coming along with my name on it a bit silly or superstitious but enough to have me make use of my eldest sons car that he is not using at the moment. Felt silly driving the few kms to work, but sometimes you just have to go with your feelings.

I have been waiting to see if the new Cateye 1700 volt head light would ever so up here in OZ and the other day I gave up waiting and brought the Cateye Volt 800. I have a Volt 700 and combined I hoped to have enough light for some serious night riding. And after tonight shake down run they work out fine.

I took to the trails at the end of our street and it was my first time running a helmet mounted light and it made a big difference. Being able to see around corners and up the trail made riding much easier.

A few photos from the ride.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00036.jpg

Fat Biking and health-dsc00057.jpg

With a two hour run time on high, and one spare battery and a few more coming I hope to make use of the mild nights to do some runs along the Fernleigh Track. It will let me up my milage without eating into family time on the weekends. With work all day this Saturday and a trip down to Sydney to visit friends this Sunday night riding could be a big part of my riding from now on.

OZ.

G & Surly Oz: Nice ride reports, gents!

Of the past 4 northbound Lock 1 rides I've taken this week, 3 have resulted in getting caught in rain, rain which seemed to begin where I was situated the furthest from Homebase, that being on the return leg at the Duck Island, Trenton trailhead.

Last night was rain free. But the ride of the night before had me doing something I've never done before: hop on the NJ Transit RiverLine light rail at the Bordentown station, so I can ride rain free to the next stop to the south, Roebling, NJ. When I got off the train at Roebling, it was apparent heavy rains had fallen. Steam from the roads were rising up all over. Best dollar sixty I have spent in a long time!

Mike

mtbr member
    Oz, dual lights is a great way to night ride. Your confidence goes way up.

I am flying home from Mexico again. I feel good about it though because it was my last trip (for a long while, at least). Part of my future work schedule will allow me to put another pin in the map and all of the travel will include my bike. The race is 84 days away. I can start again putting the miles away to get ready

mtbr member
    I just saw that Mrs. Bear passed away. My condolences for your loss buddy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Not a great day.

Woke up to find out that not only has a good friend from long ago passed away a few months back, but another close friend's mother passed away in the early hours of the morning today.

It has been a year of deaths and more deaths in my circle of friends and family.

---
    On the bright side, planning for my big trip is nearly done, have almost all the legs laid out, bookings made, et cetera. One week, six days to go before I'm off. I feel the trembles starting.

---
    No ride today. I decided I needed a rest. My FCC has carried me over 1300 miles since April now. I did a lot of riding this week and feel great. Met my new doctor yesterday for the first time and we got on very well.

Life is good. Cherish it and hold it dear: It goes so very very quickly.

G

G: I am sorry to read of your loss. Yes, this is a year to put in the rear view mirror, this year of loss and grief. And out of it, remember the good times of those no longer with us; for then, they will have never died, as long as they live in our hearts.

Completed another northbound ride to Bordentown and Lock 1 up to Trenton. Nothing new at all to report as each ride begins to blend into the last in this summer heat. Lotsa growth intruding on the path as it appears the State of NJ parks folks have simply given up on maintaining the towpath. Not so bad for a fatbike rider as I am a good half foot above the towpath and overgrowth; but anyone contemplating walking their dog here, as they have been known to do, are asking to get their furry friends in contact with ticks and other insects. For the people who reside in the Bordentown area, maintenance upkeep for this section of canal park should be no different then the more traveled areas north on the Feeder Canal to Frenchtown, as well as the main canal from Princeton to New Brunswick. But it is......

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I just saw that Mrs. Bear passed away. My condolences for your loss buddy.
    I'll be sure to pass that along, Tex. It has been a long road for Mrs. OldBear, indeed. The obesity and such took its toll on her in a big way.
    They were getting her weight down in preparation for surgery to remove a very large tumor over the last year or two. Unfortunately, the
    liver and kidneys failed in the last weeks. Sadly she could not hold on any longer.

Spoke with Fred yesterday. He seems to be doing better as time passes. It has been very hard on him as his soulmate is now at peace.
    I'm in hopes that he will pop in and read the thread and spout off once again.
    The good news... Fred and his son have reconciled their issues and he will have his fatty back very soon and get his lazy ass offa da sofa
    and out riding again.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    I'll be sure to pass that along, Tex. It has been a long road for Mrs. OldBear, indeed. The obesity and such took its toll on her in a big way.
    They were getting her weight down in preparation for surgery to remove a very large tumor over the last year or two. Unfortunately, the
    liver and kidneys failed in the last weeks. Sadly she could not hold on any longer.

Spoke with Fred yesterday. He seems to be doing better as time passes. It has been very hard on him as his soulmate is now at peace.
    I'm in hopes that he will pop in and read the thread and spout off once again.
    The good news... Fred and his son have reconciled their issues and he will have his fatty back very soon and get his lazy ass offa da sofa
    and out riding again.
    Thanks for passing that on. Give him my encouragement to get back on the saddle again too. That's the path I was on, and it is like a spiral. You get out of shape, then exercise is harder and more discouraging, then you get worse... Tell him to get back on that bike and let us know where he's going

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for passing that on. Give him my encouragement to get back on the saddle again too. That's the path I was on, and it is like a spiral. You get out of shape, then exercise is harder and more discouraging, then you get worse... Tell him to get back on that bike and let us know where he's going
    I'ma bein all over dat! No rest for the wicked, they say. He's gonna find out real quick that the drill sergeant is on the job!!!

Thankya, Tex.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks, Mike. It was a heavy day yesterday.
    All my friends and family who have passed live with me until my Time ends. I love them all with all my soul.

Back to the world today. I'm getting ready for my saturday breakfast ride. ...

---
    Ride!

I took the long version of my route down to the meetup point, circling on the far loop across Los Padres to Hedding, to Park Avenue down to San Jose business district, enter Guadalupe River Park behind the Adobe buildings, and north on the trail there to my usual breakfast meetup point with the boyz. Meet and greet ... My beloved partner actually pulled his bicycle out and rode down to there! ... and then off we go, them on their walk, and me on my personal circle and wiggle on paths through the park.

I found a neat little bit of one-lane dirt that connects between two unlikely concrete paths that I've come to enjoy blasting down. It's steep, rutted, and curvy for about 1000 yards—great fun on FCC, which handles it beautifully, the Dura Fleetwoods showing their mettle as great on road and competent gravel/hardpack wheelwear since about half the path is so steep that you're basically on the sidewalls the whole time. No problem with grip at all, FCC just tracks where I want to go and goes there. Absolutely love it!

Then on to breakfast and the usual banter and chat. I announce that since I'll be drinking Pim's Cups on an island in the middle of the Irish Sea on my birthday in two weeks, let's all meet for dinner tonight! So that should be fun.

Off we go again afterwards. 8 miles wasn't enough so I figured I'd do a loop to the east through Japan Town, then up and back through to my usual loop home. There's one section on the loop downtown to get back to the Guadalupe River that I've never liked because it is a shunt part a huge intersection of two competing highways, with a maze of complex on and off ramps and poor lane demarcation, etc. Dangerous for a bicyclist. I figured there had to be a way to get around it, and I was right. I turned down a quiet street just where the main road goes up into a train overpass/river bridge to find a wonderful little maze of small streets, no traffic, and a couple of old apartment buildings now to be torn down to build some more modern ones. Wiggling through this little neighborhood, I found a wide walkway beyond the street at the end of it that shunted past the office buildings there and dropped me just on the other side of that highway ramp hell, a half a block from the Guadalupe Trail. Very Nice! I'll use this path again!

Back up through the park to Hedding again, this time going westwards, and back onto my normal loop home. 19 miles, feeling great, nicely sweaty and stinky as the temperature was rising all the while.

Life is a wonderful thing.

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    Oz, those premonitions are real, heed them. Why take a chance and worry the whole time.

G, sorry to hear of your friends passings. Seems they run in groups, I see them in 3's.

Mike great use of the River rail, that made me smile and nod. Great move. Almost as good as a buddy. We were away on a golf weekend, My buddy G had an argument with the driver of the vehicle he was riding in and got out about 5 miles and across a bridge from the hotel. He started walking but tired quickly. He noticed a Chinese Restaurant down the street, it had a sign "WE DELIVER". He walked in, asked for the delivery guy and said. I have $10, I'll give you $5 now and the other $5 when you get me to the the "hotel name". LOL. It worked, we stopped for breakfast and he beat us back. LOL

I've been out the past few days. I missed today, I had a contractor in to finish some electrical work at the house. I now have power to the shed and will start looking for a small compressor to fill tires. Raining now on and off. Waiting for family to show up for dinner, steaks on the grill, corn on the cob, salad, mushrooms & onions, veggies, roasted potatoes.

Anyone have any ideas on them would be greatly appreciated.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    G, it is with sadness that we hear of yet another loss in your world. Condolences...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    G. Sorry about your loss too. We'll raise the parting glass. We need to quit losing people.

I am so happy to be home. Last night and this morning I worked on the trails in the rain and was happy to do it. The woods smell so good in the rain, I am not sure what it is. I love being in the woods. Fat Biking and health-image-2.jpg
    The beginner trail near my house is a swampy mess. Our goal is to get it passable almost year round. To that end, we have 13 projects identified. I took on installing a drain and completing the #7.Fat Biking and health-image-1.jpg

After the work on the beginner trail was done, I needed to get in a ride. The intermediate trail was in great shape, so I went there. I still had my hand saw in my bag and wound up clearing a fallen tree, adding some arm work to my leg work. It was one of the many Ash trees taken out by an invasive species, so it was hard wood (they make Louisville Slugger baseball bats from that stuff). But what a beautiful day. The lake still has a few of the trees standing from when they built the dam in the 70s. It is amazing how they are still standing.
    Fat Biking and health-image-3.jpg
    A great way to end the day.
    Fat Biking and health-image.jpg

mtbr member
    The canal I ride is maintained by people paid to do it. It's 60 miles long and they get overwhelmed at times I'm sure. I need to find a way to start carrying a hand saw to try and help out when I can. Great report and pic's Texmex.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, G sorry to hear of your friends passing, and yes those we lose might be gone but always remain with us.

Mex great to see you at home and working trails and getting rewarded at the end of the day with a great sunset.

Yep Chief, it hard to explain those feelings and although I don't get them often I tend to listen to them. We were supposed to head down to Sydney today but put it on hold to next weekend. It was a beautiful Sunday so we headed to Merewether Beach for lunch and a stroll along the coast.

The view back to the restaurant were we dined.

Fat Biking and health-dsc01413.jpg

Hopefully I will wake up tomorrow feeling like its time to ride into work again.

OZ.

Surly In Oz: Pretty location there in that picture. Your country's devastating drought has made the United States national news media, as well as the BBC World News, last week. Very, very sad to watch and take in. Nothing but the best of wishes for your homeland to get the rain it needs. And it seems we here are again in a rainy, hot and humid weather pattern like the ones we've had last week, last month and on.

TexMex: Nice trail maintenance you are doing to your home course. How many miles overall are the trails there?

Chief: Had to laugh over the creativity of your friend there! On these RiverLine trains, the bikes are suspended on hooks, but looking at these hooks, it's clear they weren't designed in mind for an 80mm fat tire rim. One has to have a hand on the bike and the other on a stanchion as the train makes it's way, especially when they brake for a turnout or a signal.

Wade: Appreciate your efforts in keeping the Old Bear lines of communication open and keeping up informed. Please let him know his presence is missed here and that in time, the hope that he will be posting up his ride reports, as he works his way to recovery.

mtbr member
    Oz, that's a great view.

Mike, There are about 14 miles of singletracks at Alum Creek State Park and a skills park with a pump track, drop features, log overs and skinnies. There are two trailheads with separate parking. There is talk they might connect both loops with singletrack, but that would be a huge project and probably more than our cadre of volunteers could take on. The club did get a grant from REI (Thanks REI!), but that was to fund improvements and repairs to the current trails (like the crushed stone and the pipe I used to do the work). It would be awesome, but we will have to see how it would get done.

mtbr member
    Great family dinner, my BIL's birthday. We had a blast. A bit too much wine and I paid for it this morning, plus I was up late messing on the computer. I got up this morning late, had breakfast and looked at my wife asking where she was going. I didn't think I'd get a ride in today with the weather but we hit it around storms, very humid but a nice easy ride with my wife. I got loose and felt better after the ride. It always help with a hangover to get sweating and work it out.
    I then checked out the Fuse. I've had a slow leak in the rear tire for a few days. It was a pain without my tire levers but I got it done. I then checked the bike and chain as I put the tire back on. The chain needed some lube. It was pretty dry and had some rust on it with all the rain we've been having.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    And yesterday I got a second ride in (!) ... Since I'll be out of town on my birthday, I called for an 'ante birthday' or 'anti-belated-birthday' dinner at a ribs shop about two miles away. Of course, I cycled there ... It gave me a good excuse to use my powerful new night headlamp for the ride home.

Just a quick jog there, a nice dinner with some close friends, and a quick jog home. One of my friends, knowing that I like single malt scotch, brought a bottle of Laphroaig along as a bday gift and was crestfallen when I arrived on the bicycle with no storage space for it. After dinner he said, "Well, you only live right down the road a bit. I can run it home for you."

"No sweat, Bruce," I said. And I took my oh-so-cool OttoLOCK bicycle lock off the bike where it was tied to the fence at the restaurant, passed it under the top frame tube above the frame bag, wrapped it over the bottle of scotch whisky in its birthday wrapping, and snugged it down. "That'll keep it just fine for the ride home. And now, I've got a nice, big, round, long, hard thing between my legs ... I'll feel like I'm 20 again!" My friends all cracked up as I cycled away.

Gotta keep amused, you know.

onwards,
    G

Left Homebase for the usual ride to Lock 1 and the canal towpath to Duck Island, Trenton. The storm clouds to the west of me over Pennsylvania hinted of stormy weather yet again as this hot, humid and saturated air mass clings over the great area. Got about halfway up the canal when the rain drops started to fall, so I said to myself, "That's enough.", turned around and headed back to Homebase. All told, about 17 miles of ride completed, Haibike Full Fatsix under HIGH power.....

Hi TexMex: That sounds like a nice setup you riders have going on over there. Made all the better because there is a dedicated group of people who are taking ownership of the bike paths.

mtbr member
    Hey, gang. I'll add my condolences for Mrs. Bear. Health is the most precious commodity beyond love. Losing it can hurt those who love us in that worst of ways.

I did an experimental ride yesterday, out where I ride most often. Took a side trail that I've looked at many times and followed it up and down, over hill and through washes until I descended into an arroyo. Had to do a bit of HAB on both sides of the arroyo to determine where I might exit and discovered a wickedly fast, fist-to-head-size rock and cholla strewn path which dumped me out on the forest road about a mile and a half from where I parked.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180812_091138759%5B1%5D.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_20180812_093036061%5B1%5D.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_20180812_092159760%5B1%5D.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_20180812_092104258_hdr%5B1%5D.jpg

Here's hoping everyone is very well, thankful for being here in the now, and that we will all remain that way for a while.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

I never stop being impressed with the kind of bike riding territory everyone brings to the table here. I wonder if Old Bear could ever have imagined the kind of reach his thread would have when he first started this little adventure of a thread?

Nice pics, DH.....and wonderful sentiments as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I managed to get in a nice fast ride on Sunday despite that it was a pretty hot and muggy day out in the afternoon when I finally got rolling. Not a particularly long ride .. just 12 miles or so ... but fun, with a quick break in the middle for a half sandwich and a cold drink.

Then I did my maintenance on the 'new' bike ... cleaned it up a little, re-lubed the chain, topped up the tires. That's about it—there's nothing else to do.

I checked the tires carefully while I was at it: they're 1,340 miles old. I'm really impressed! The thin rain siping on the center section (where you'd expect the greatest wear) is still there, even on the rear tire, and they are still perfectly symmetrical in shape from side to side. I've had no flats at all with them, they still handle and brake as if they were new. A very nice performance out of these Dura Fleetwoods, IMO. At the current rate of wear, I may well get 2000 miles out of the rear tire ...!

It's hard to compare their performance against the Black Floyd tires on the Sumo, however, because the Sumo is so much heavier and has the power assist that drives the rear tire even harder.

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    Lots & lots of rain today. I got home from work and I was beat. I didn't feel like riding, I wanted nap. It was warm, not to hot and there was a breeze. I got changed into my biking stuff and forced myself out the door. I grabbed my Crosstrail since with all the rain I'd keep it on the hard stuff and out of the mud. I pedaled up the street, nice and easy, no ummmph. As I rode a truck, pulled out and went up the street, I caught it at the next stop sign, it was my electrical contractor that did my work Saturday. We talked as he drove and I rode. I got to 1/2 mile and he went his way and I went mine. Over towards the river and the walking path there, still nothing....... but it was nice out. I went up Radcliffe Street towards the Turnpike and then into the residential section. Not many vehicles, and good newly paved roads. I made the turn back towards home and the bla's were gone. I came up to speed and stayed there. Back into town and along the walkway, through town and then out towards the lake, around the lake near the hospital I stopped to allow foot traffic to cross a bridge. The said nice tat, I said which one pointing to my EAGLES tat with the Eagle holding the Lombardi trophy. He was a Cowboys fan, we had a discussion. LOL.
    Off I went and finished off the lake and then into another residential section, less cars. Again good roadway where I pushed again and it felt good. in behind the hospital where they cut all the high grass and the deer are parked right against the roadway in the only trees to provide cover. A BIG doe, a spike buck laying right along the roadway. Out onto the road again and a loop towards Rohm & Haas and then back home. Felt good to have been out and get rid of the bla's.

10.88 miles in 57.43 min. average speed was 11.5.

mtbr member
    An old friend told me he would passing through town Sunday and asked if I'd meet him for a ride. So I brought to the local trails. He bought a fat bike based on my enthusiasm for wide tires, and this was his first test on Singletracks. He was getting used the rotating mass and control but he really liked how it smoothed out the roots. So we finished the ride by the lake and he snapped a picture of us. It was startling evidence we are much older than we used to be, but we are still riding. Fat Biking and health-image.jpeg It was great to really get a chance to catch up.

I am traveling in Northern Indiana and South-Central Michigan this week. The weather is perfect, so I took a ride today before I left. I will get to ride one of my favorite trails with my brother-in-law this week. That will be fun. I knocked a retaining ring off of one of my locking grips at some point. Fat Biking and health-image.jpg
    There is about a 30 foot drop on the left, right into the lake. I often wonder if anyone has taken that plunge.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Nice portrait of you and your friend, tex.

Yeah, we all keep getting older. Some of my self portraits from even a decade ago are making me a little nostalgic now...

Ah Youth!

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    I think it's cool that riding is still a staple for you-and that your friend enjoyed his fat bike outing with you. I started riding off road in the early 90's, but after those initial four or five years, I became an on again, off again rider-until the fat bike. Now I ride regularly and can't imagine missing a week. Fat bikes rule.

mtbr member
    texmex, the pictures are evidence of us all getting older. It happens and at least we're still pushing to stay young. The trails, the fat bike smiles, just getting out and riding are the things that keep us young (at least in our minds).

Great pic's, thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    texmex, the pictures are evidence of us all getting older. It happens and at least we're still pushing to stay young. The trails, the fat bike smiles, just getting out and riding are the things that keep us young (at least in our minds).

Great pic's, thanks for sharing.

I personally have given up on the trying to stay young gambit. My goal is to become, and stay, strong and healthy, as best can be approached as I reach my middle sixties and beyond.

One thing I always had a fear of was watching old men on their thin, white, matchstick legs tottering down the street, cautious that they might fall with every step ... I swore that would not be me. Then illness, neglect, and circumstance overwhelmed me and I turned into a near cripple for a decade.

"No! No!" I couldn't take that, and I fought like hell for six years to reverse that reality. I'd rather not live than be incapacitated without putting up a fight.

Staying young ... nah. Isn't going to happen. I'm old and I'm proud of it. I'm even prouder of it because I work my ass off to become—and stay—strong, to think clearly, and to embrace this wonderful living world. I love young people and encourage them to respect and cherish their youth; mine is gone forever. I am happy to have it always in my memory. I will die satisfied and happy that I did everything I could to make Life better, to use my Time as best I could, as far as my imagination and body would go.

---
    No ride yesterday. Almost went out a couple of times, but something in my gut said, "Don't!" Had a bad foot day, my head wasn't clear from the pain of it, and the medications to correct it twist my guts up. Better to rest and let it pass.

I feel good today again: This afternoon I'll cycle, this evening I'll ride the motorcycle to my friend's mother's memorial gathering ... as will forty others of my friends. Respect and memory for another who will dance with the dragons on the wind of the Uttermost West.

Onwards, always onwards!

G

mtbr member
    Yeah, I have no delusions about staying young. I’m on the right side of the grass, until I’m not. Beyond that I don’t think about it. Just sometimes you get a reminder (like a picture or a kid’s graduation) that you are not the kid you feel like.

mtbr member
    Maybe I should have said Stay fit which was what I meant by the comment. We're all working to keep the dirt blanket off of us. My cardiologist said to work on my balance and flexibility which I do every few days.
    No ride the evening, thunderstorms cranked through most of the evening.

This afternoon's ride was to specifically do some pruning on both ends of the Crosswicks Creek Train Bridge/Walking-Riding path. The spring and summer growth had so intruded on both ends of the walkway that you end up brushing up against this stuff as you pass by. So, armed with my Fiskars pruning shear and Harbor Freight Japan-knock off hand saw, I set off.....

Entering the Crystal Lake Park property off of Axe Factory road and a look to the south and west towards Pennsylvania and Chief 500 country saw some nasty looking storm clouds with the classic anvil shape. And of course, I wasn't disappointed as I got about 10 minutes of pruning in when it let loose to what probably was a good inch and a half downpour

The general area, known better as the Delaware Valley, has been hit hard the past few days, with severe flooding over in some areas of PA, specifically in the Philadelphia suburbs.

The Crosswicks itself, as too the Canal and the Delaware, are running high and is a chocolate brown from the massive run off.

Well, the rain did stop. And I got done what I set out to do. Using high power on the Haibike, I did about 11.5 miles and consumed about 22% battery power, which is not bad at all.

TexMex: Nice shots! Safe travels as you head north and west.
    Chief: Nice ride report. This has been one stormy summer for the record books, hasn't it?
    DH: Fat Bikes rule, indeed. Can't really imagine going back to anything smaller.
    G: Enjoy reading your ride reports and life perspectives!

mtbr member
    Mike, it's gratifying to ride past your work, isn't it? I suppose it is like a positive version of Graffiti HAHA. There is satisfaction in leaving a little mark on the world, in the case of trail work that mark offers some benefit. I used to take my son with me to work on the trails, he told me later "it's cool to ride trails you helped build". No outdoor user group puts in more volunteer work than mountain bikers

My friend (who rode with me Sunday) and I both lost our fathers recently. We spent a some of the ride reflecting on that and how that changes your perspective. My dad had a positive impact on the world. When he died, the funeral filled the second largest Catholic church in the city. A lot of people came to see him off, which was comforting. The things you do in the world often have a bigger impact than you think.

I visited one of my employer's stateside factories. This is the team I am closest to because I worked with them to turn the operations around. There are few non-familial bonds closer than "the brotherhood of struggle". Aside from family, these are probably the strongest. Turning around operations is definitely a hard thing to do. It was good to see the team in better circumstances.

So I joined the guys for lunch and one of the guys said "after so much Mexican food, we are taking you out to get a meatball sub!". It was a compelling argument and it was really good. However, a meatball sub is not a good meal when you plan on riding a trail with a lot of climbing after work... Woof.

In spite of this very low grade fuel and not feeling well, I set my fastest times on several sections of the ride as well as the overall course. I am sure I could do better if I took a little more care with meals. The first time I tackled these hills, I struggled. Today, in spite of sobotaging myself, I was able to tackle everything. A little better, a little faster, a little more fun, it is that fitness spiral I mentioned before but reversed.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Dammit! I might be grey haired but am still a Toys R Us kid!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I'm with you, Dale. I remain a child in my head. I don't have to even try to keep that going—it's natural. The body, well, it does its best.

For instance, today is "Birthday Present Delivery Day" ... My bday isn't for a week or two yet, and I'll be on travel then, but my present to myself is arriving. I haven't owned a musical instrument since I accidentally plugged the wrong charger into my Casio keyboard in 1989, but I took piano lessons as a young child and again in college years; always loved playing. So I bought myself a Yamaha P-125 portable keyboard and am looking forward to learning how to play once again. Another retired friend decided to learn how to play guitar after he retired, and another one has expressed an interest in banjo too ... So I've suggested that we all get our chops up and learn how to jam together as The Olde Fahrte Trio.

Life's too short to take it all laying down.

---
    Yesterday's ride was a nice, brisk 13 miler. I stopped for lunch along the way ...

tex, yeah, a meatball sub is kinda heavy to precede a good bike ride! My favorite little lunch cafe now knows that a bacon/lettuce/tomato sandwich on their light dinner roll and a half-portion of hash browns is just about a perfect lunch for a bike ride, for me. I eat something like that and I have tons of good fuel ready to burn. They start preparing it for me as soon as I ring the bell in front of their door.

.. and ran my typical loop nonstop afterwards so I'd have time to watch the Austrian MotoGP race and get ready for the motorcycle ride and dinner. My Guzzi Racer fired right up with his happy exhaust bark and gave me, again, a great ride up to Palo Alto through some local expressway and back roads to the restaurant. That little beastie is now sorted as well as the FCC is! Suspension and engine are in perfect balance, it's ultra comfortable, and the continuing improvement in my balance, core strength, etc from daily cycling make riding it effortless and a true delight.

Four long tables of folks showed up to show their support for the family and remembrance of our departed Mom, Ann. Ann was a great person, kind and sharp as a knife. She used to enjoy coming to see the motorcycle road races with us—both her son and her daughter, our buddies, were racers themselves and she got right in there with them to enjoy the adventure. She always reminded me of my own mom that way: Weezy took five sons in stride and stuck with us through many entertaining adventures like that. It was good to see so many folks at the dinner, the restaurant was, as always, very accommodating if ferociously slow on delivery — wouldn't have it any other way. Their food is a different mix of Mexican cuisine from the usual and quite tasty.

The party lingered on well past closing outside in the parking lot and as each moto rider fired up and powered off, it seemed like we were all twenty-five years younger again. I blipped the throttle a couple of times to let Racer's music bring a smile to the remaining friends' faces, and ran home the long way under the setting gibbous Moon and stars on that warm night.

Life is so damn precious, moments like that with friends should never be forgotten. Godspeed, Ann!

onwards,
    G

Only in silence the word,
    only in dark the light,
    only in dying, Life;
    bright the hawk's flight
    on the empty sky.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Never say how lucky you've been when the gods are within earshot. For the gods are malicious, tricksy, and swift to thwart.

Walked into the living room and glanced at FCC. Something seemed wrong, the seat seemed too low. Looked down: The rear tire was flat. Sigh. First casualty.

I turned it upside down and carefully rolled the rear wheel. On about the third rotation, I spotted a little shiny bit right on the centerline of the tire. Grabbed a pair of dikes and pulled it straight out:

Name:  staple-head.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  31.2 KB

That's a little hard to see ... it's about 1.5mm side and the shiny spot is pretty tiny. But it's like an iceberg ... the head is the smallest bit.

Name:  staple-length.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  23.9 KB

Looks like a piece of a staple that curled up and straight into the tire, leaving only the little bit of its head to be polished on the road.

It must have been picked up at the bicycle shop since they were in the middle of uncrating a big bunch of bicycles when I got there yesterday. Or in the parking lot outside where I test road FCC after the mechanic made an adjustment to my derailleur (it had been getting a little fussy about climbing onto the third-fourth sprocket, just a minor tweak to the cable setting and the idler wheels solved that nicely).

All I can say is: It sure is easy to fix a small puncture like this on a fat tire bike! Finding the offending bit took 15 minutes of looking. Pulling the tire off the rim on one side, pulling the tube out (without taking the wheel off the bike), sanding the area clean, rubbing it clean and smooth, fitting the patch, sliding the tube back in and popping the bead back on, then inflating the tire took about 5 minutes.

Inflated, holding pressure perfectly, and ready for action again. Take that, you miserable gods.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Mike, yeah we have been getting hammered. I ran to a LBS at lunch Tuesday, our parking lot is bone dry. I drive 2.4 miles to be in front of Parx casino and everything is soaked. All the way to the shop. Weather has been tough, hit or miss storms but when you get hit MAN does it drench.

G, I had to pick up tire levers, not sure what happened to mine but I had to change a flat and ended up using a wooden clothes pin to get the tire back onto the rim. It got it done.

I got out today and got in 14+ at a good clip for me. Felt good, just got a good stretch in too.

A buddy that just purchased a bike because if I can do it anyone can. LOL
    I got my first apology this weekend. He rode a few blocks and was tired. He had no idea the amount of effort.
    He's doing better and I'm encouraging him. He's doing better. He rode 9 miles yesterday and did well. I told him to take days off and change the mileage to get acclimated. He tried the canal path today and didn't like it. It's harder to ride on than the street. I laughed at him. This will be fun to watch his accomplishments.

mtbr member
    Two days in a row after work at DTE Foundation Trail. Fat Biking and health-image.jpgFat Biking and health-image.jpg
    Getting an itch to put a new pin in the map, or sticker on the helmet... maybe next week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Dh great to see you out and about, those trails and a fat bike are made for each other. Must be a great place to explore.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Texmex nice looking trails seem to be in prime condition. And great to see you spreading the fat bike love, I am sure your mate will have a blast.

You too Chief, although it sounds like your mate might take awhile to come around to seeing the bright side

Just back from my longest night ride, just under 35 kms. Along the Fernleigh Track to my LBS. My two Cateye lights pumped out plenty of light (one is the Volt 800 and the other the Volt 700) had them both on the second strongest setting and they lit the totally dark track easily.

I was surprised at the number of riders out that late, some were commuting home and a few out training. I will be doing a lot more night rides, especially over the summer months to avoid the heat.

And I plan to use my eldest sons Kayak thats sitting in the garage unloved since he brought a Hobie kayak to fish out of. I just cannot get motivated to do my weight training at the moment and the idea of a Kayak on the lake in the morning and a bike ride late afternoon/night holds more appeal.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    G, I had to pick up tire levers, not sure what happened to mine but I had to change a flat and ended up using a wooden clothes pin to get the tire back onto the rim. It got it done.

I got out today and got in 14+ at a good clip for me. Felt good, just got a good stretch in too.

A buddy that just purchased a bike because if I can do it anyone can. LOL
    I got my first apology this weekend. He rode a few blocks and was tired. He had no idea the amount of effort.
    He's doing better and I'm encouraging him. He's doing better. He rode 9 miles yesterday and did well. I told him to take days off and change the mileage to get acclimated. He tried the canal path today and didn't like it. It's harder to ride on than the street. I laughed at him. This will be fun to watch his accomplishments.
    I still have the Brompton folder and was thinking, "Oh darn, I haven't bought the tire levers for the bike toolkit," when I remembered that I had the full Brompton toolkit in its frame nacelle. Tire levers and patches, right there. I'll get a pair of nice ones like those for the FCC as well, already have two/three patch kits.

Sounds like you had a good ride! No ride for me yesterday ... it was a crazy day of getting things done; worked at it until after midnight, nonstop. No ride today either: I'm on the way to San Luis Obispo to visit an old friend before I'm on travel for six weeks. He's 93 ... you never know how much he has... and I need to get the gift I made for him to him before I go. Ride tomorrow!

It's great to get others involved and cycling! Got at least one of my friends out there now, but he's gone the roadie bike route. He seems to be enjoying himself too, and coming up to speed with it. A couple of my other friends are doing more dirt trail stuff on 2.5 bikes with suspension and such, they're uninterested in my riding paths but that's okay: we're all old enough to take care of our own needs.

Break over, back to the road...

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Still in Michigan, there were scattered showers today but the trail was rideable. Of course, when you ride a fat bike it is almost never a concern (except during freeze thaw, or similarly extreme soil conditions)
    The mosquitos were pretty bad
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 109
Size:  30.8 KBFat Biking and health-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Wonderful mosquito sign, Tex!

Ride today...!

G

mtbr member
    Yeah I don't expect him to progress to quickly. But it will be fun keeping him at it.

Very hot (91°) and VERY humid today. I stopped for lunch with my wife, she had asked me to put together a small book case for her to store things in her office. They are finally getting it all together and working after the fire and rebuild. There I found out my son had to walk to work this morning when the garage door wouldn't open so he could get his Jeep out. SO next I went to my MIL's to see if I could get the door open. No good.
    I went home and went for a ride, 12+ miles in 67:34 min 10.6 avg. Felt goo to get out and sweat a little. The trails I ride near a lake, I have been having these flies or bugs attacking my back as I pedal through the paths. I thought I was throwing wood chips and hitting myself but I killed 2 of them today. Saw a green heron along the canal and a fawn at the old pool complex. Pretty lil thing.
    Once I got home and had a drink and got cooled off my wife got home. I had spoken with a friend that works for SEARS Service , he gave me the info on getting the garage door open since I couldn't reset the passcode. I found the key opened the keyway and pulled the wire. We got the door opened, got his Jeep out and tried to reset the opener, no go. So at least he has a ride now.

Looking forward to riding tomorrow. Have a good weekend everyone.

Hi Chief, hey, doesn't the center cable (if it's a cable type) have a break-away to allow you to manually open the door in case of power outage, motor or system failure, etc?

I'll second the VERY hot weather report today.

Yesterday was a ride to Bordentown then Lock 1 up to Duck Island, Trenton NJ. And wouldn't you know it but the State of NJ cut the grass/weeds. Not exactly a short cut, but since the last time they cut was in mid-spring, I'll take it.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Chief, it sounds like that opener doesn't meet code. Time to sort out the emergency release and where the release rope should be connected at the sled.

I blame Mike! He turned the thermostat the wrong direction, Chief!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Yeah the keyway was installed with the opener and is the emergency way in....... and worked like a charm. Seems either the keypad isn't working or the opener has gone. We are now looking at a power issue in the house so we'll work it out.

Mike turn the temp down a little please.

No problem, gents. Sunday....cooler temps have been ordered and will be in place. Could not negotiate getting the rain out of the weather though...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Nice breakfast ride today ... Took the long loop down to the meetup point, then brekkie, then my 'becoming customary' double loop back with the jog to the east through Japan Town. Instead of coming home, I stopped by the bike shop, said hi to the boys, then went to my doctor's appointment.

A mourning dove built a nest outside the door to her office. She laid two eggs and they've both hatched, the fledglings are now about a week old. I caught this photo of one of them with Mom:

Fat Biking and health-090-motherdovenfledgling.jpg

Mom seems completely comfortable with humans poking close to her. I took this with my iPhone 8 in Portrait mode, camera only about a foot from her.

Anyway, from there to home another mile or so for a total of 22 miles. Good ride!

G

mtbr member
    Great shot G.

Had a good ride with my bride yesterday and then went on my own for a few. Man it was hot and humid. We were invited to a party at a high school classmates house near Ft Dix, I had to run to the beach to pick up a fishing reel. We made a day of it, lunch, beach (traffic) and then back to the party.

A squall passed through and I got a pretty nice shot of it.
    Fat Biking and health-39442227_10205094998371819_5386776814758658048_o.jpg

And here are all the high school / Bristol friends. We got there late due to shore traffic and weather.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4854.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi chief, that first photo is a cracker, I love seeing storm fronts like that, just not when I am out on the bike Great to catch up with school friends, how they mark our years.

G nice wild life image, don't need a mega lens and lots of patience sometimes. Have you sorted out your camera kit for your upcoming trip?

On a riding note did a sixty km ride yesterday taking in all the big hills on the loop. Got around ok but I have had a bit of hay fever or head cold bothering this week and today I skipped a ride to rest up as I am back on the bike to work now as my son took his car back to Sydney yesterday.

Need to give a few of the bikes a good bath this afternoon especially the Farley, poor thing is a little neglected in the shed the last few weeks.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    G nice wild life image, don't need a mega lens and lots of patience sometimes. Have you sorted out your camera kit for your upcoming trip?

On a riding note did a sixty km ride yesterday taking in all the big hills on the loop. Got around ok but I have had a bit of hay fever or head cold bothering this week and today I skipped a ride to rest up as I am back on the bike to work now as my son took his car back to Sydney yesterday.

Need to give a few of the bikes a good bath this afternoon especially the Farley, poor thing is a little neglected in the shed the last few weeks.
    Thanks Surly (and CHIEF!) for the compliment.

I'm not really much of a wildlife photographer, most of the time. But when I do photograph wildlife, I like to work the patient game and get as close as possible with a medium length lens. I think the photographs look nicer that way. A hot wildlife photographer named Bill Brandt did some astonishingly beautiful portraits of wild animals in Africa, most of them using a medium format film camera and a modest length portrait lens. It takes enormous patience to do that work the way he did/does, but the results are awesome.

Two days to trip launch!

I'll be carrying the Leica CL and just two lenses: Elmarit-R 28mm (a nice wide-normal on this format) and either Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4 or Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 (both portrait telephotos, the advantage to the 60mm being the ability to easily capture 1:2 magnification close ups where the fast 50mm nets the ability to do very shallow DoF). A nice thing with the macro lens is that it doesn't need a lens hood so it takes up a little less space in the bag, but it's nice to have the 50/1.4's speed and shallow DoF sometimes. I'll probably toss a coin tomorrow.

Otherwise, I am now fully set up and booked for all the transits, accommodations (with one exception, to finish up tomorrow), rental and loaner cars, and have coordinated the visits for each leg of the journey. It's a complicated trip: Six weeks on the road total, visiting about two dozen folks along the way, with motorcycle racing, air shows, lots of train segments, a wedding, etc etc.

Gonna be fun, but I'm getting the pre-trip jitters now! I'm going to miss having a bicycle to ride for such a long stretch. Next task is to figure out exactly what else to pack and how to minimize everything enough to make it all fit in one comfortable to carry-on backpack and a small shoulder satchel. The challenge is fun!

---
    I took a nice 15 mile lunch ride today, the long way down to San Jose and my favorite little cafe, and then an interesting variation on my usual route back home from there. FCC is working absolutely flawlessly: The small adjustment the mechanic at the LBS did on the derailleur last Tuesday has resulted in absolutely perfect shifting performance now: I don't see how it could be any better at all.

My poor Sumo is sitting neglected too. I'll charge it up before I go, but I haven't ridden it in a long while. Time to sell it when I get back ... I don't keep things that I'm no longer using, and I have not been using it at all for months now.

onwards,
    G