Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465 LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,300 of 6494
    mtbr member
    Wade, glad to hear your kidneys are functioning well. Hang tough and listen to them. I'd hold off on the pain meds until i really needed them.

Mike your really cranking out that mileage, pretty impressive.

G, don't let the revolutionary's get to ya. They're good in their own right. Nice to get those compliments every once in a while. I had a doctor appointment yesterday. You're than me female doc. I've dropped 4 lbs, kidneys and liver are doing great, cholesterol is very good. Keep doing what your doing.
    I'm told I don't look my age ....... I don't act it either.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Thankya, Chief. It's something I have been dealing with for the last 15 years. Listening to the tellings of the body has its benefit, indeed.
    Zero processed food in my diet has been the largest preventive measure. Besides, my bikes insist on leaded premium fuel for their motor!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    As planned, I made it up to San Francisco yesterday and had a lovely bit of time wandering through a gallery and Leica Store San Francisco ... they have an excellent gallery too, and I spent some time evaluating their new compact system camera that I've been interested in. Nice people there and at the other gallery; a quick bite for lunch; train up and back. It was most of the day, so no ride yesterday at all.

---
    Today, I had my biweekly medical visit for an injection and decided to ride down there. I also wanted to ride over by my friend's house on the eastern side of south San Jose, just to know the way, and made a day of it.

The route down to the doctor's office can be done several ways, but today I decided on the surface streets path and chugged down a familiar run. It's just over 10 miles there, riding mostly on quieter streets through pleasant surburbia. Lots of lovely homes and gardens to see along the way!

I arrive at the office and the nurse comes to get me. "Damn, your legs look good! And sexy!" Second time this week! I reach down and stroke my quadriceps, "Thanks, baby. And they feel sooo nice too. ..." She nearly fell over laughing, just as I did. Nancy and I joke around constantly, she's really sweet and a great friend. So I get stuck in the butt ("With these little stretchy hot pants on, it's real easy to strip you down, ya know? ..." ) and head off for the next destination. I found there's a nice shunt around the heavily trafficked streets ... a quiet little cul de sac behind the hospital, a pedestrian/bicycle bridge over one freeway, another little shunt through another bit of suburbia, then another bridge over yet another freeway ramp complex .. and you drop directly into the Los Gatos Creek Trail. I run that up to central south San Jose and exit onto Willow Street, heading east.

A couple of blocks later, the road crews are there doing resurfacing and the road surface is like corrugated tin sheeting. A young woman on a roadie bike was talking with the foreman at the corner, "Yes, the road's all torn up like this through to Lincoln from here. It's closed, although the sidewalk is mostly open. ..."

She looks at me, at my bike, and laughs: "Well, you're well equipped for this. Those are some big-ass tires you got there. I'm getting thrown all over the place on my little bike." She smiled, I smiled, the foreman took a look and laughed out loud. "I reckon you could just roll right down through the construction with that bike!"

"Yup, I could. But I know the road one block over just wiggles along beside this one all the way to Lincoln. I'll just take that." And I sped off.

It was a lovely little detour down the mostly unused side road that paralleled the main one. Nicer than riding the main road, actually. I continued on, got into the busy part of the SoSJ business area past Lincoln, turned north towards my friend's neighborhood, and zipped past her house. She'd just sent a txt that she was still in Santa Cruz (about 25 miles away) so we'll get together on Monday to catch up.

Not a bad ten mile stint. I turned back and zipped into SJ downtown, to my favorite downtown cafe for a bottle of water, a cup of coffee, and one of those nice chocolate eclairs they get. That was good. And now on towards home ... But ... I'd been hearing a little clicking, only when I was pedaling, that seemed unusual. I started listening to it, and noticed that the shifting was a little rougher than usual too. Hmm. I wonder how many miles I've got on this bike now?

Made a detour into the LBS and said hello to the boys. Explained the noise I was hearing, and the shifting. He listened to it on the stand, took it for a test ride, then pulled out the gauge and checked the chain. "You sure have put a lot of miles on here. This chain is nearly worn out, it's at .71 on my scale and I'm supposed to replace them at .74."

I thought it might be that, I've got over 900 miles on the bike since we did the updates to the drive... They had a new chain in stock, so fitted it on the spot. I took it for a test ... Noise gone, shifting all smooth and easy again. Paid the bill and headed out for home, just two miles away.

32 miles total on that ride. And I had no aches, no pain in butt or legs. I feel great, and the bike is just perfect.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Cheers from Corfu, gang. This place would be a great spot for off road riding! We've been on the beach a lot, taking in the afternoons from an amazing restaurant, and wandering down to the village by our villa in the evening. Hope everyone is doing well. 😁
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Fat Biking & Health Rider

Wednesday's Ride Report: A personal fatbike best

G: As usual, nice report!
    Dirty Hun: Great to hear you having a great time overseas!

Destination: Homebase to Milford, New Jersey and back via NJ Delaware & Raritan Canal and Pennsylvania Delaware and Lehigh Canal towpath routes

Mileage: 95.4 miles
    Average Speed: 10.4 mph
    Total Odometer: 4879 miles
    Battery Pct remaining: 18.1%
    Weather: Mostly sunny, cool breeze running down the Delaware River in a tunnel-like effect, 86 degrees

Notes: Haibike Full FatSix, Tires at 25 psi, motor power set between the Eco and +Eco settings to achieve greatest mileage and economy.........Do I plan on "breaking" this personal record anytime soon? No, at mile 60 I was drained. At mile 95.4 I questioned my sanity............If anything, the Yamaha is the economy champ in ebikes. Now, if they only had a big enough watt-hour battery to allow a run like this be done in the upper power settings of High or Standard...........But overall, for a 400wh battery, outstanding economy and range.........Bike performed flawlessly and the rider was kept lubricated with Arizona Green Tea (5 large cans of it) and a 5 Hour Energy...........So, starting out Butt'red up, Lathered up, doped up, psyched up and out, here we go.......
    Fat Biking and health-100_3239.jpg
    Homebase. 0800 hours. The last time this bike will be this clean today is right now.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3240.jpg
    Where's Waldo with his Haibike? Propped up against this giant stacks of hay. Crystal Lake Park, Mansfield Twp, NJ
    Fat Biking and health-100_3242.jpg
    Northbound, Lock 1, D&R Canal State Park (NJ)
    Fat Biking and health-100_3243.jpg
    Lock 1 Canal Towpath and I'm the only person using it, early Wed morning
    Fat Biking and health-100_3245.jpg
    Northbound, off of the Lock 1 towpath and entering the sketchiest part of this ride, the mile and a half or so of bike riding in the capital city of NJ, Trenton. I will be heading up hill into a nice park atop the NJ Route 29 highway.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3247.jpg
    Ride through the park atop the highway. Then come down to the AA Trenton Thunder baseball team property. Do some inner city biking, a couple lefts and rights and here we are: the base of the Trenton Makes The World Takes bridge. Here I'll cross the Delaware to access the D&L Canal at Morrisville, PA

Part 2 Wed Ride Report

Fat Biking and health-100_3251.jpg
    Morrisville, PA levee. Northbound, looking towards the Calhoun Street Bridge, where I will enter the D&L Canal and work my way north
    Fat Biking and health-100_3254.jpg
    D&L Canal, Morrisville, PA, looking north
    Fat Biking and health-100_3255.jpg
    Heron, D&L Canal
    Fat Biking and health-100_3257.jpg
    Northbound, coming upon Yardley, PA and a speeding northbound CSX freight overhead doing about 55 mph or so
    Fat Biking and health-100_3258.jpg
    The D&L has these terrific mile markers telling you where you are and what the next town up (or, on the other side and heading south) is. Outstanding towpath canal, can't imagine one better maintained than this one, from Morrisville all the way up to White Haven, PA...
    Fat Biking and health-100_3261.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3262.jpg
    Numerous viaducts are on the stretch of canal from here all the way up to Easton, PA
    Fat Biking and health-100_3264.jpg
    Canal Towpath riding, an endless vista of towpath, water and woods. Don't get no better than this.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3265.jpg
    Revolutionary Soldiers graves near Bowman's Tower, north of where Washington crossed the Delaware River on his Christmas eve attack on Trenton, NJ, 24 Dec 1776
    Fat Biking and health-100_3266.jpg
    Northbound towpath, near the Soldiers Graves

Part 3 Wed Ride Report

Fat Biking and health-100_3269.jpg
    Northbound, D&L Canal at New Hope, PA. This is what remains of the Chez Odette Restaurant and it's on the move. Flooded out quite a few times in the early 2000's as was most of these river towns up here. But it's main claim to fame is this is where network news anchor Jessica Savitch, on a dark and rainy evening, left this restaurant with her friend and drove mistakenly into the canal, killing her and her occupant.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3270.jpg
    New Hope, D&L Canal. Stagnant water
    Fat Biking and health-100_3272.jpg
    New Hope, PA
    Fat Biking and health-100_3273.jpg
    A detour due to construction...
    Fat Biking and health-100_3275.jpg
    Means lifting this bike onto this bridge. Then some asphalt road riding on PA 32
    Fat Biking and health-100_3277.jpg
    ....to where we hook up with the D&L Canal.Fat Biking and health-100_3278.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3279.jpg
    Bridge to Stockton, NJ and time for lunch.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3282.jpg
    Lunch spot. There are many benches dedicated in memory to a person murdered in the 9-11 attacks in NY. Bucks County, PA was home to thousands of offices workers inside the World Trade Center Twin Towers and these little plaques are nice, peaceful reminders that we must never, ever forget.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3280.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3281.jpg
    Where I stand on miles pedaled and battery power expended....

mtbr member
    Nice report Mike, I gotta get back up that way. Was the canal under 95 where they are building the new bridge ok?

I got in a quick 11+ today on the cross trail. 11.13 miles, in 57:23 @ a 11.6 avg speed.
    Felt good and strong on the 2 bridges and on slope up to Mill Creek Rd.

Part 4 Wed Ride Report

Fat Biking and health-100_3284.jpg
    Pedal onward, northbound D&L Canal
    Fat Biking and health-100_3285.jpg
    Lumberville, PA and the Bulls Island (NJ) pedestrian bridge with Old Glory in the breeze. She flies 12 months of the year. Bridge designed and built by John A Roebling, the greatest bridge builder/engineer the world has ever known.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3287.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3288.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3289.jpg
    Lumberville, PA and lock chamber
    Fat Biking and health-100_3290.jpg
    Don't worry, it'll get even more dirty!
    Fat Biking and health-100_3295.jpg
    I think this is another aqueduct, this one at Pt Pleasant, PA
    Fat Biking and health-100_3296.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3297.jpg
    Glorious solitude and monotony never was better. Northbound, D&L Canal
    Fat Biking and health-100_3298.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thank you, Mike. And to you too: that looks like quite a ride!

---
    It's been darn warm in the afternoon so I decided to turn the tables on the weather and ride to breakfast with my buds in Mountain View this morning. It's not a very exotic ride ... pretty much a straight shot up the road alongside the train tracks and then back again ... but it's uphill getting there and downhill coming home which adds some spice. Morning commute traffic is still light at 6:15 am so I'm fresh, the air is cool, and the road is mine! Well, close enough...

Oh yes: note on the new chain. In the back of my mind, although I didn't hear the ticking I heard before it was changed, something was niggling at me when I was sitting and looking at the bike in the evening. And then I spied what had attracted my attention: a little white, stiff, snappy bit of plastic ... like from a bottle cap retainer ... was hiding deep in the cassette. I pulled it out. Perhaps that's what was making the Tick-Tick-Tick sound. I don't know. However, I noticed that the cassette sprockets, while oily, felt a little gritty. Hmm. Can't have that: I spread some of my oil rags on the floor and doused a rag with some WD-40 to see it the grit came off. Of course it did. I polished off all the sprockets until they were dry and free of any grit or old lube.

Then I pulled out my favorite chain lube, from motorcycle chain drive days. It's Dupont Wax Chain Lube with teflon and other exotic chemistry in it. I remember on my Ducati 907ie that it raised the lifespan of my chain from 8000 miles to 21,000 miles. I cupped another rag around the chain and gently sprayed a steady bead of it while I turned the chain through two full revolutions to get the whole chain. Then I asked my partner to hold up the back of the bike while I cranked the pedals and cycled the chain through all the sprockets from middle to bottom gear, back up to top gear, and back to middle. And then I let it sit and let the lube set up overnight.

The difference this morning was immediately noticeable. No tick-tick-tick sound at all. The chain is now dead quiet, and gear shifts happen with that beautiful instantaneous precision again, quietly ... snick-snick, snick snick. I think it's even better than it was when we first put this drive together.

So the ride up and back from breakfast ran with the bike purring along smooth and silent, shifting with that perfect machine sound of "everything is just right now." When I looked at my Garmin data, there's obviously been a change because my average speed on any similar run for the past few months has been 10.5 to 11.2 mph ... Today I clocked 12.8 both ways! And I found myself pedaling at the next level up, either one gear up at 72-75 rpm, or one gear down at 81-84 rpm.

Again, I never cease to be impressed by just how tiny a change makes such a huge difference in these machines.

I arrived home in practically record time and had a little fun with the kids across the hall. They had made notes for me and my partner about their upcoming trip to see the grand folks in North Carolina, one of which was truly amusing and funny. It's from the littlest one and says in big block letters: "All birthdays should be on the SAME DAY! It's only fair! Especially the animals!" with pictures of cats and dogs and lions and bears all over the page. I laughed so hard, he was so earnest about it. A great kid: I love his creativity. His mom and dad were chuckling as he explained this concept to me ... particularly (imagine the scene) because I'm stripped down to my goofy looking baggy boxer shorts (pink with big red pursed lips all over them) and a red tee shirt that says "Coffee Now Or Die Asleep!" on it, trying to cool off after the ride. (I thought the knock on the door was simply the UPS guy leaving a package and dashing off, not that two young boys and their parents were going to be there to admire my couture ...! ) Peter didn't notice anything, he was intent on the birthdays, but Luke is looking abashed and saying, "you should take a shower! Under Shorts don't help!" The parents are dying. I love these folks. They know I'm just another one of the kids...

After that scene, I knew I couldn't just stay home so I geared up again and went out for another ride. Not a long one: I wiggled around a few of the local streets, wandered into the Children's Park a couple of miles over and giggled as I ran the bike through the moto-x mounds the 12 year olds bash around on (again the FCC surprises me with its agility on this kind of stuff, despite the long wheelbase and my big lumpkin body on it), and then to the local restaurant for lunch. Home again after lunch, clocking up another 5 plus miles and some, for a day's total around 22 miles.

Shower, a big cold water, and my day was complete. Oh yeah: I called the store in SF and bought that camera I went to look at the other day. I'll head up there again tomorrow to pick it up.

Life is Good.

onwards,
    G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mike, Aisan and Sarge never have set me to economy mode!

Great ride for ya. Keep on it, the pix are great to see.
    Doctor recommended...

Part 5 Wed Ride Report

Fat Biking and health-100_3300.jpg
    This little baby was drinking water from the canal when I scared it into running off into the fields off of the canal. There, it just stood and watched me. Did not see Mom around. Cutest little thing!
    Fat Biking and health-100_3301.jpg
    Covered bridge at Uhlerstown, PA. Funny thing, the original plan was to cross into NJ by using the Uhlerstown/Frenchtown bridge. But not thinking too sharp had me thinking a more direct exit from this canal was just "up head". Well, it wasn't and turned a long ride into something even longer.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3302.jpg
    So pedaled on I did.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3303.jpg
    And done did some more.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3308.jpg
    Until Seinfeld might say, "and yada, yada, yada, some 7 or 8 miles later I left the D&L Canal north of where I originally wanted to go. Here I am at the bridge to Milford, NJ, where I will do some yada yada yada asphalt riding in town and out of town to hook up with the D&R (NJ) Canal and head southbound.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3315.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3317.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3316.jpg
    Outside of Milford, NJ at the head of the D&R Canal State Park towpath. I had the last of my Arizona Green Tea. In the bag tired, I figured that tea will last me until I get closer to home. A big LOL to that.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3318.jpg
    Southbound, D&R Canal

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Mike, Aisan and Sarge never have set me to economy mode!

Great ride for ya. Keep on it, the pix are great to see.
    You got it, buddy!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Glad ya had the time to take in such a great ride, Mike. Even if ya do cheat!

Aisan received a delivery today. FedUp brought a small parcel addressed to him that contained a new shock. Longer travel to bring the rear travel to 140mm. Changing the shock for the longer one took a couple minutes. Now it's time to ride a flow trail and see how this will change the attitude of Aisan on the trails at speed and send a few obstacles to further discover the performance.
    Doctor recommended...

Part...I forget what part. Wed Ride Report

Fat Biking and health-100_3309.jpg
    Center span, Milford Bridge, Delaware River, looking upstream and to the north. A really refreshing cool breeze was blowing down the river today and it felt great.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3319.jpg
    Self portrait at 11 mph. Lucky I didn't drop and run over the camera!
    Fat Biking and health-100_3320.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3321.jpg
    As I'm pedaling south, here comes a doe in full stride, coming towards me. So I stop to get out the camera and she stops and contemplates what to do, cause a couple walking their dog is the reason she tried bolting to the north.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3322.jpg
    So she made the wise decision to just walk off into the nearby fields off the canal towpath. One note: there is no "canal" from Milford to Bulls Island. In effect, I am pedaling on the old Belvedere Railroad grade. And let me tell you, the 10 mile stretch from Frenchtown to Lambertville, while though I am descending the northern hills and mountains of Hunterdon County, NJ to tide water at Trenton, I can tell you by looking ahead that I am actually pedaling up the grade of this old rail line.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3323.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3324.jpg
    Prallsville Mill, Stockton, NJ. The railbed crosses this creek which empties in the Delaware here. The 10 mile grade from Frenchtown to Lambertville is over.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3326.jpg
    Lambertville, NJ, D&R Canal towpath. Lambertville bridges New Hope, PA on the other side of the river. Artsy fartsy hipster sister towns. Me, I'm jest passing thru.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3327.jpg
    D&R Canal, Lambertville, NJ. And a quite discernible pitch of the grade, dropping south, which is a relief to me. That Frenchtown to Stockton 10 mile run was a party pooper and not fun. No coasting whatsoever.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3328.jpg
    Ex-Belvedere railroad (Pennsylvania Railroad spur line) over the canal and it looks ready to collapse into the canal. This spur went from the mainline to a nearby rock quarry along NJ Route 29.

This should wrap it up....Wed Ride Report

Fat Biking and health-100_3329.jpg
    Ride the D&R feeder canal towpath here and it's an exercise of traveling over the old canal and railroad line, which means going from town to town. From Milford to Frenchtown. Frenchtown to Stockton. Stockton to Lambertvile. Lambertville to Titusville and finally for this ride, Titusville to Washington Crossing, NJ where I will walk the bike over this bridge, to the quaint little town of Washington Crossing, PA.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3331.jpg
    Center span, Washington Crossing bridge, looking downstream where 10 miles away is Trenton, NJ.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3332.jpg
    Couple things about this ride: never underestimate how much fluids you need to take in. Especially if you are like me and take diuretics to control this and that. My idea of getting some cold drinks some miles closer to home was faulty thinking at best. Lucky for me, a little store in Washington Crossing had nice, ice cold Arizona Green Tea's on tap. I promptly pedaled over to the D&L Canal, sat down and downed 2 in record time.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3333.jpg
    Southbound, D&L Canal at Yardley PA with the CSX train bridge overhead.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3334.jpg
    Southbound, Morrisville PA levee. I simply don't like this stretch of riding into Trenton and I'll leave it at that. Looks like low tide...
    Fat Biking and health-100_3335.jpg
    The good ole Lock 1, D&R canal and about 7.5 miles more to go....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3336.jpg
    Crosswicks Creek train bridge. A car show was going on at the yacht club. Older folks, sitting around their Camaro's Mustangs and Vettes. A small gathering in a very nice little spot, actually. If those people only knew what I accomplished and saw in my day!
    Fat Biking and health-100_3337.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3338.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3339.jpg
    Homebase, mission accomplished. Final notes: knowing I had some severe climbs in the Crosswicks Creek Basin, the Blacks Creek Basin, the climb up Route 130 north and the final climb at the Crafts Creek Basin, I went to pedaling in Eco to +Eco (a drop below Eco in power output) including shutting off all power to make the climb out of Crosswicks. I think it played out to my advantage; 1 mile pedal in Eco, the next mile in +Eco, and this played out all the way from Milford, NJ. I just did not want to risk draining the battery out and forcing me to pedal a near 60 lb bike.

The two Eco levels in this Yamaha drive system are minor steps up from what a normal fatbike would feel like. I credit those 20 mile daily runs I did in helping me to gain the conditioning to pedal this distance. And pedal I did, this was no free ride at all. Thinking if I had to do this 2-3-4 times consecutive gives me the chills though. Between my meds and my age (60), I simply can't do what I did at 20 or 30. So.....we compensate.

thanks for coming along for the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    Nice report Mike, I gotta get back up that way. Was the canal under 95 where they are building the new bridge ok?

I got in a quick 11+ today on the cross trail. 11.13 miles, in 57:23 @ a 11.6 avg speed.
    Felt good and strong on the 2 bridges and on slope up to Mill Creek Rd.
    Thanks, Chief! All clear at the Scudders Falls construction. And fwiw, even on the opposite side in NJ is clear for those adventurous enough to want to take the D&R south into Trenton.

G: I'll have to look into that stuff you used on your chain. I've been using Boeshield T9 for the past several years and really can't complain about it. It too is to be applied and wiped later after it dries.

You've gone through several chains with your two bikes combined and here I am pushing 5k miles on this bike on it's original chain. And it's got me wondering how much it's been stretched. So maybe one of those link measuring tools should be on my to-do list along with a new chain.

One day last year, I had the dumb idea of pedaling a veeerrry steep climb at the Bordentown boat ramp up to Park Street. So I shifted into High gear on the back sprocket , set the power to High and literally stood on the pedals, yanking on the Cane Creek bar ends for leverage. I think something let go in the cassette/hub area cause it immediately skipped a bunch of teeth and made a bad internal noise. As long as I don't power hard in high gear, you'd never know, but it's there.

Glad ya had the time to take in such a great ride, Mike. Even if ya do cheat!

Aisan received a delivery today. FedUp brought a small parcel addressed to him that contained a new shock. Longer travel to bring the rear travel to 140mm. Changing the shock for the longer one took a couple minutes. Now it's time to ride a flow trail and see how this will change the attitude of Aisan on the trails at speed and send a few obstacles to further discover the performance.
    Wade, that sounds like a nice, comfy addition to your bike. Post some pics when you get it on.

It looks to me that there has been some significant advances in shock stroke-length over the past few years, making the 120mm travel of this Haibike seem quaint and outdated.

The difference between the front/rear shocked Haibike and my Fatboy are night and day as far as ride quality goes. I recall doing an 80 mile day, documented here in this thread and I was like the walking dead after I got off the saddle of that fatty. Shocks do make a big difference, either if you are bombing on the trails like you might or the long mileage rides that I may do. At the end of the day, I feel a lot better now on this bike then I ever did on the hard tailed fatboy.

And what a difference between my Trek 9000 dual suspension mountain bike and this Haibike, how far things have come since 1991.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    G: I'll have to look into that stuff you used on your chain. I've been using Boeshield T9 for the past several years and really can't complain about it. It too is to be applied and wiped later after it dries.

You've gone through several chains with your two bikes combined and here I am pushing 5k miles on this bike on it's original chain. And it's got me wondering how much it's been stretched. So maybe one of those link measuring tools should be on my to-do list along with a new chain.

One day last year, I had the dumb idea of pedaling a veeerrry steep climb at the Bordentown boat ramp up to Park Street. So I shifted into High gear on the back sprocket , set the power to High and literally stood on the pedals, yanking on the Cane Creek bar ends for leverage. I think something let go in the cassette/hub area cause it immediately skipped a bunch of teeth and made a bad internal noise. As long as I don't power hard in high gear, you'd never know, but it's there.
    The Dupont "Chain Saver-Wax Based Chain Lube" is the best stuff I have found for lubing chains. It goes on thin and gets nearly dry to the touch when it sets up. It's very slick!

On wearing out chains ...

Remember: I'm a big guy, just under six foot in my birthday suit. Not as fat as I was when I started this program, 60 some pounds less on the scale, but I have built up leg muscle very very fast such that my doctor feels I've gained 18 to 20 lbs of muscle mass, mostly in my legs. My weight is still floating between 255 and 260 lbs, and while I laugh at my still-lard belly, most of it is just the loose skin and residual fat that takes a long long time to burn off and shrink. I was never small. Another 35-40 pounds and I'll be at my just-post-college weight ... when everyone thought I was "too thin!"

I ride hard and push my bikes to my limits quite a lot, on the street mostly where there's lots of traction. That's a lot of weight and muscle power when I slam down a pedal (last physical therapy session, I was able to repeatedly press nearly 750+ lbs in dead weight with my legs). My tires are street oriented and have a lot of rubber on the road. Sumo takes it even harder because the electrics are amplifying my effort.

All this means that I'm resigned to wearing out chains because I abuse them so much with my weight and use. I'm getting 700-1000 miles per chain before they've 'stretched' out of spec. They don't look worn out, but measures don't lie. I'd rather replace a chain frequently than have to spend the bux for front sprockets and cassettes too frequently...

... post thought ...

Some perspective came into play this morning as I re-read the above: Replacing the FCC's chain with the best of the three chains available, parts and labor included, cost me $59.00 for about 945 miles of use over about three months. That's about the same as a single tank of gasoline for my car, which nets me about 290 miles use and is gone in about two weeks time, on average. In cost per month, the chain replacement is cheap and the fuel is expensive; in cost per mile, the chain is cheaper still. In use per time, the car carries me farther and faster than I can ever achieve with a bicycle alone...

No point to be made, really, except that I don't find the costs of replacing a chain when it measures as worn out particularly difficult to bear. I do like thinking about this stuff from the several perspectives!
    Last edited by ramarren; 07-13-2018 at 07:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Mike, thanks for taking along on the ride. That's a LONG one. The red dust looks oh so familiar........ everyday, every canal ride. I've never ridden on the river levee in Morrisville, I'm usually on the canal. I do get on it down near the Burlington Bristol bridge where residents keep it cut and have seats up on it.

G, seems we have the same type body. I'm working on the stomach but man it doesn't come off like it used to. I will be looking for the chain wax, especially if it helps things along.

Good ride yesterday. I got out after noon. The day wasn't as hot as they said. The sun was warm but no humidity made it really nice. I took the Crosstrail for a ride down into Croydon. I go through the old Rohm & Haas parking area that has been abandoned. It's blocked so no cars and no traffic. Along the driveway I scared to baby deer out of the brush. They bolted right in front of me. The smaller one ran along the driveway in front of me, the other ran towards the street. I turned to watch it to see if it ran into the roadway. Thank goodness it didn't it turned and ran back into the wooded area it came out of. The smaller one turned in too. I was running and looking back at me like it wanted to be chased. They were SO small and still had the white spots on their backs. I got down into the marina and saw a fox crossing the roadway in. I stopped at a new hot dog stand a guy set up 2 weeks ago. Dirty water dog and a 1/2 a diet coke. It wasn't very good, I won't go out of my way again for that. Good ride, I felt pretty strong through the 16 miles in 1:26:06 min. 11.1 avg.

Sounds like a nice ride yesterday, Chief and you're right, summers around here are great when there is no humidty in the air. Unfortunately, those kinds of humid free days are the exception, not the rule. Appreciate the kind words, it was fun documenting the run and it will come in handy this winter when riding stops cause 28 inches of snow is falling in our area. The D&L canal can be broken into segments away from your home; with lotsa safe parking to be had. Groundhog Lock is a favorite of mine as it's just below Easton, where there is nice riding right next to the NS mainline. Contemplating a run in the Lehigh Gorge section in the coming weeks, starting at Glen Onoko or Jim Thorpe. Maybe even replicate the big run I made from Groundhog up to Lehighton and back. A ton of options to be had on the D&L....

Did the clicking on your bike get solved by the bike shop? What was the outcome?

That levee in Morrisville starts at the Trenton Makes bridge and ends a mile and change to the north at Calhoun Street Bridge (info for the non-locals familiar with our area here). The good news is that there is a Dairy Queen not far from the Trenton Makes bridge!

Took yesterday off, after cleaning 3 pounds of PA red clay dust off of the Haibike. Today will be a nice 20 miler or so using High power, just to move the legs.

mtbr member
    Yeah the clicking then ratcheting was a worn bottom bracket that has been replaced. Still some clicking but nothing like there was.
    Easy ride day today, I took the 6 Fattie out down the last piece of canal in Bristol then out to Silver Lake and the trails then home. Lots of groundhogs out, 2 blue herons, a green heron, a deer behind Lower Bucks Hospital. Felt good to not push hard. Sun is warm.

Your last paragraph made me LOL, the PA red clay.

Another easy day today, I took the 6 Fattie out with my wife. She rides now and then to offset her walking program. I have to say she's getting better. Average speed is way up from where she started. I can just cruise along now with her. That's really fun. We stopped to visit my sister and as we were talking it started to drizzle and a little rumble of thunder. We saw some lightening and got started back towards home. We were only at the other end of town. We got near home and it was raining harder and we were soaked. She went on home and I pushed on for another 5 miles out to eh lake and then home. Felt good to be out in the rain. A nice lightening shot and a loud thunder clap got me moving when I was near home.
    A nice ride in the rain.
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 07-15-2018 at 10:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Heya Chief! Sounds like a nice ride.

I always get very wary when I see deer and other animals near the path I'm riding. I had one of those fawns leap right into me when I was riding my Ducati 907ie about 24 years ago ... took me down, doubly broke four ribs, dislocated my shoulder, and destroyed the motorcycle completely. I watch them very carefully now and often just stop and wait for them to pass.

---
    I decided to take a day off the bike yesterday: Had arrangements with a friend to visit SF yet again (three times in one week is a record for me in recent years!) and went to see showings of the classic films 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and Jason and the Argonauts at the Castro Theater. It was so great to see them on the big screen again! Such amazing quality movies! Afterwards, a little refreshment at the pub and I drove most of the way home to stop in with another bunch of friends for viewing the Sachsenring MotoGP race. A fine spectacle, as always, but not as exciting as the previous race at Assen two weekends ago. I was dog-tired when I arrived home...

But a good night's rest and today I'm doing a nice run down to southeast San Jose for lunch and chit-chat with a friend there. Should be a 15-20 miler... and a good day for it with coolish temperatures through the morning and into the early afternoon, then warming up. Ah, Summer!

Onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Day off today. I had 12 in a row ( I just counted).

I spent the day at a refinery out in a valve pit getting dimensions for a pipeline I'm running. I was also getting dimensions on a pump motor I'm connecting to. MAN it was hot, sweated my ass off. I got back to work, dropped off my gear and headed home. Storms predicted for tomorrow, maybe I can get a ride in before the storms hit and then Wednesday the humidity drops out and it gets nice again. Looking forward to it.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Day off today. I had 12 in a row ( I just counted).

I spent the day at a refinery out in a valve pit getting dimensions for a pipeline I'm running. I was also getting dimensions on a pump motor I'm connecting to. MAN it was hot, sweated my ass off. I got back to work, dropped off my gear and headed home. Storms predicted for tomorrow, maybe I can get a ride in before the storms hit and then Wednesday the humidity drops out and it gets nice again. Looking forward to it.
    Chief, a rain day would be a welcome ride day! It's been plenty hot this season. With the kidney disease, I have to be careful of excessive sweating since it makes the kidneys work much harder than usual.

G, the deer population here makes excellent trails for Sarge and Aisan to enjoy.

Mike, thanks for sharing the large ride report! Excellent content, my friend.

And we have DH at a beach with no fatbike?? DH, you're doin it wrong, all wrong...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I have been traveling to Mexico for work, so I am trying to ride every day when I am home. Unfortunately it has impeded me meeting my riding targets. I told my boss I was not going to put up with it for long and he promised that it was short term, so I will suck it up for a while.

Crazy one today; my handlebar broke. I pulled up on the front to get over a small log-stack obstacle and I felt the handlebar give way a little bit. Then it snapped off. There was no dent or obvious defect. I thought about taking to the metallurgy lab at work out of curiosity.

I was pretty lucky I didn't get badly injured. Had it snapped on a down motion I would have been screwed, probably impaled. I contacted Amazon to let them know they might want to look at a recall (Unsurprisingly, they have a process to deal with that type of thing). In the meantime, don't buy Wake Cycle bars. I bought a replacement at my LBS. I don't go there often just because I travel so much, I may start using them a little more.

Fat Biking and health-file1.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-file2.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Damn, Tex! You animal...

A friends dirt bike bar did that with a jagged break. Glad you didn't get injured from that failure.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Glad you didn't get hurt by that, Tex! Could have been pretty bad... !!

---
    Had a truly nice ride today. As I predicted, I ran about 17 miles, taking the longish way down to southeast San Jose, then a shorter return path. It was warm but not hot and not humid ... just right. I've become so accustomed now to running 15+ miles that less than that seems too short a time in the saddle.

FCC is really working beautifully now too. Shifting is smooth as can be, everything about it just feels right to me.

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    Geez Tex, take it easy on that bike it didn't send you to Mexico. LOL
    Glad it wasn't on a down slope or jump that headset would have left a nice make in your chest.
    Note to self - when your moving or washing your bike check it for chips and dents.

G: Our relatively low speeds should allow for animal avoidance. Can't say that so much if anyone here is bombing a downhill bike run. But for water level style running, any kind of animal encounters are a welcome diversion. Come winter time, the lack of sound from the birds and all definitely stands out.

Chief: This humidity should be chased out with the coming storms; but that sounded like a hot day indeed, working around industrial style pipe runs and valves. Needless to say, stay safe and stay hydrated.

Wade: You're welcome. I satisfied a curiousity of mine; just how much can I get out of a single charge. The answers are in: 100 miles to 120 miles, the 120 being if the bike is pedaled in +Eco. I think a 500wh battery is in my future along the way; giving a total of 900wh and a range of near 100 miles using the upper Standard power level carrying the 2 batteries along. Figure then 13-16 mph and that is pretty darn good on fat tires. Welcome to a different kind of bicycle riding.

TexMex: Very lucky. Do you have a lot of jumps on that handlebar? Myself, I'm a terra-firma, tires on the ground kinda guy. Contemplating a handlebar break like that on some of my long downhill runs in these local creeksheds here, hitting 24 mph plus on asphalt road shoulders is contemplating a trip to the ER in Critical to very grave condition. Be safe out there. Chief has some great advice there; after every ride, do a good lookover of the entire bike. You just never know.

Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    G: Our relatively low speeds should allow for animal avoidance. Can't say that so much if anyone here is bombing a downhill bike run. ...
    I've had a couple of run-ins with kamikaze ground squirrels even going slow...

"Don't do it you little fool! Go the other way! AArrgh! ..."

---
    Very good news this morning: Last Thursday-Friday, my blood pressure monitor detected something new. My heart was showing evidence of a new arrhythmia when I did my morning blood pressure check. Hmm. So I pulled out the AliveCor ECG device* that my cardiologist recommended I use, called my doctor to inform him I needed him to monitor things for a bit, and reactivated the pro service.

After doing recordings about four-five times per day since, my cardiologist called today to tell me that there's nothing to worry about. The new state of my heart is that it's developed an early beat ... one in four ... with an early ventricular pulse. No AFIB in evidence, just a bit of a lopsided pattern that has developed: it is not threatening and doesn't require any medication or modification of my bicycling. My mom had that for 60+ years.

Have to admit that Friday night was quite scary after I felt a change like this happen. I wasn't sure I was going to wake up in the morning. We can never be sure, but usually we take it for granted...

Savor every moment. Take nothing for granted. Don't waste Time, you never get it back.

onwards!
    G

* AliveCor ECG device: This is a little two-pad device that, combined with the Kardia Mobile app on a smartphone, produces a medical grade, two-channel ECG suitable for professional analysis. It is of course not as good an ECG as a 12 channel machine at the office, but it's very handy and can be used to spot check and develop an early diagnosis before things get serious. The pro service allows you to share your readings directly with your doctor and costs $15/month.

It's definitely a lot nicer than wearing a heart monitor for two weeks and a LOT less expensive... I had AFIB a few years back, corrected by two atrial ablation procedures. This device is a huge advance in recording useful information for my doctor to keep track of my heart's condition easily and inexpensively, on an ongoing basis. Anyone who has had an episode of heart trouble should take a look at it and see if it is apropos for their medical needs. We sure aren't going to get any younger, and I would like to keep the option of getting older open.

G: That is some great cardiac info there and I am especially happy to know everything worked out on the positive side of the ledger for you. I like the way you took immediate charge; no fooling around, in notifying your cardiologist. Long may you run, buddy. Long may we all run, here!

I've been quite proactive in seeing my own cardiologist following my stent installations. Twice a year, including blood work and an ECG. Due for a 5 year stress test sometime this fall, early winter. Time flies when you maintain your vitals by any and all means, including a good exercise program (hello, fatbiking and health!), a good rapport with your doctor(s) and good adherence to any and all medications prescribed to you.

Looking out the kitchen window here and looking towards the west and PA, a storm is brewing with some deep, dark gray clouds. Static firing off on the am radio station I am listening to.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    heya Mike:

I talked with my brother in Tuckahoe, NY, a little earlier today. He said they were seeing a heckuva thunderstorm and massive downpour there.

Thanks! I feel like a heavy weight just lifted.

I was very lucky on the cardiac front. The AFIB I had was subtle and insidious, probably had it for some years. I just thought I was getting older and slowing down a little. By the time I or anyone else noticed it, the degradation of my heart's efficiency was pretty nasty: It was caught just barely before irreparable heart damage set in. I got lucky again in being referred to, and accepted for treatment, by one of the foremost cardiologists in the world when it comes to AFIB. AND he's a great guy, we have an excellent relationship.

So I've learned to monitor and watch carefully for changes. That's why I monitor blood pressure every day, and see a heart rate monitor when I ride as being more important than a speedometer.

The puzzle that I had was that my heart rate on the monitor was going up to a particular point and not going up as far as I thought it ought to, also the heart rate sensor was occasionally taking its sweet time to hook up, with a couple of restarts needed. Now I know why—the ventricular arrhythmia can make it hard to find the beat—and that it's innocuous, just a bit off kilter. My new normal... unless it changes again.

Ah, the challenges of living. There are no better alternatives. And now off for a ride.

G

mtbr member
    Fat Biking and health-img_3603.jpgI was listening to a podcast and a guy said "a good trail looks like it belongs there, it looks like it was put there by the finger of God", I thought "yeah, it really does. Amen"
    Fat Biking and health-img_3601.jpg

mtbr member
    G, nice job on getting in touch with the cardiologist and getting it taken care of right away. The trouble is when we put shit off and then it goes bad.

Nice here today, humidity dropped out. Supposed to be in the 50's tomorrow am. Ahhhhhh

Back at it this afternoon. Can't wait after watching Stage 11 of the Tour. Man, they were going hard.

mtbr member

Back from Hungary and Corfu

Wade, I was too busy swimming, wandering the shoreline looking for fish and other animals, driving the crazy narrow town streets, drinking great beer and raki.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180711_041803067.jpg

Corfu is stunning.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180712_083732488.jpg

I will return there someday. It has major significance in Greek and Roman literature, which are the subjects I teach.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180712_144258450.jpg

Probably the prettiest island I have ever visited.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180714_101834950_hdr.jpg

Now, to get re-settled into my new digs and get out on the bike this weekend!
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    DH, with the surrounding beauty to take in, a fatty would have been awesome to make many vantage points available. Thanks for sharing the pix!
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    heya Mike:

I talked with my brother in Tuckahoe, NY, a little earlier today. He said they were seeing a heckuva thunderstorm and massive downpour there.

Thanks! I feel like a heavy weight just lifted.

I was very lucky on the cardiac front. The AFIB I had was subtle and insidious, probably had it for some years. I just thought I was getting older and slowing down a little. By the time I or anyone else noticed it, the degradation of my heart's efficiency was pretty nasty: It was caught just barely before irreparable heart damage set in. I got lucky again in being referred to, and accepted for treatment, by one of the foremost cardiologists in the world when it comes to AFIB. AND he's a great guy, we have an excellent relationship.

So I've learned to monitor and watch carefully for changes. That's why I monitor blood pressure every day, and see a heart rate monitor when I ride as being more important than a speedometer.

The puzzle that I had was that my heart rate on the monitor was going up to a particular point and not going up as far as I thought it ought to, also the heart rate sensor was occasionally taking its sweet time to hook up, with a couple of restarts needed. Now I know why—the ventricular arrhythmia can make it hard to find the beat—and that it's innocuous, just a bit off kilter. My new normal... unless it changes again.

Ah, the challenges of living. There are no better alternatives. And now off for a ride.

G
    Having done a "stress test" with the use of a small, very portable unit to gather live data, I have now done it by bicycle in the real world on two occasions. Thankfully, my cardiologist has seen the Mayor and approves of the fAt! This was thought up by the cardiologist, who took the time to pen a route through town that would have moderate conditions as well as strenuous segments that gave very useful analysis that cannot be afforded with the in office test done with drug induced stress.

G, sounds like you discovered the issue before it became more difficult to deal with. Do what ya can to keep it from progressing.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    DH, that would be hard to leave. Very beautiful place

Nice shots, DH!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Having done a "stress test" with the use of a small, very portable unit to gather live data, I have now done it by bicycle in the real world on two occasions. Thankfully, my cardiologist has seen the Mayor and approves of the fAt! This was thought up by the cardiologist, who took the time to pen a route through town that would have moderate conditions as well as strenuous segments that gave very useful analysis that cannot be afforded with the in office test done with drug induced stress.

G, sounds like you discovered the issue before it became more difficult to deal with. Do what ya can to keep it from progressing.
    Thanks Banshee!

The episode of premature ventricle pulses seems to be receding. My readings are becoming more baseline normal again. It was probably a transient issue, as happens sometimes, but I'm for sure keeping an eye out for it and for what might be inciting it. My cardiologist feels there's nothing to do or get worried about, so that's fine by me.

---
    I was inadvertently up way too late last night and was a bit out of it all day as a result.

Went out on the bike and realized I wasn't concentrating enough to be safe, so headed back in and called it a rest day. I'm heading to bed in half an hour to get a full night's rest in, then off on a ride to Mountain View in the morning (19 mile round trip, about).

onwards!
    G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Thanks Banshee!

The episode of premature ventricle pulses seems to be receding. My readings are becoming more baseline normal again. It was probably a transient issue, as happens sometimes, but I'm for sure keeping an eye out for it and for what might be inciting it. My cardiologist feels there's nothing to do or get worried about, so that's fine by me.

---
    I was inadvertently up way too late last night and was a bit out of it all day as a result.

Went out on the bike and realized I wasn't concentrating enough to be safe, so headed back in and called it a rest day. I'm heading to bed in half an hour to get a full night's rest in, then off on a ride to Mountain View in the morning (19 mile round trip, about).

onwards!
    G
    Hopeful that you can find a method to keep it under control. Be vigilant, my friend.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hopeful that you can find a method to keep it under control. Be vigilant, my friend.
    This morning's reading is 100% perfect normal.

I'm off on my ride to Mountain View now! May even drag a camera along...

G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    This morning's reading is 100% perfect normal.

I'm off on my ride to Mountain View now! May even drag a camera along...
    Realized I just wanted to ride... left the camera behind. Boogied on up to Mountain View, had breakfast with my friends there, then boogied home. 12.6mph average speed for the run! 16 miles total. It was exhilarating and a lovely morning, before the heat settled in.

Now it's time to shower.

G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    ... And a rare event: I went out for a second ride today. I've been working about the house all day since I returned home. Somewhere around 4:00pm, it was getting a little claustrophobic. Needed a cup of coffee too. So I hopped on the bike and did a nice little run to downtown for coffee and a bit of pastry.

On the way back, there was a youngster riding a skateboard on the sidewalk in parallel to me for a bit. Just as a car passed, he jumped off the sidewalk onto the street and an out-of-synch noise occurred. Then I didn't see him. I reacted a little slowly, but the thought finally drilled through my skull, "He fell! I hope he's all right!" So I turned around and found him dusting himself off, rubbing his arm a bit.

"You all right?" I called out.
    "Yeah, no damage. Just missed the landing."
    "Didn't hit your head or anything? Dizzy?"
    "No, landed on my arm and back. A bit of a bruise on my arm. I'm fine."
    "Good! I heard you more than saw you go down, sorry I didn't stop as fast as I might have."
    "No problem! And thanks for coming back to check!" He hopped back on the board and zipped away. Looked steady and well balanced. I waved and gave him a bell, he waved back.

We've all got to look out for and take care of one another, ya know?

It was a good 11 miles! So today's total was up to about 28 miles ... Not a bad day!

onwards!
    G

G: That's what it's all about, looking out for each other. Well done!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Mike -- thanks for the towpath pix! My wife and I rode this route 2 years ago, starting in VA at National Airport, and finishing in Honesdale PA, camping several nights en route. The MD part of the ride was somewhat annoying and painful -- way too much traffic on roads not built for it -- but the run up the Delaware was just super. Kept going after Easton, crossing through the Water Gap before trending inland.

We crossed into PA at Frenchtown after a great lunch at a veggie restaurant:
    Fat Biking and health-img_2498.jpg

Lots of old structures that are well preserved:
    Fat Biking and health-img_2507.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_2525.jpg

Towpath gets a little skanky in places:
    Fat Biking and health-img_2522.jpg

Delaware Water Gap! After rolling into the campground well after dark with no water, not sure it was open, our longest day. Woke up to a beautiful last day!
    Fat Biking and health-img_2536.jpgFat Biking and health-img_2538.jpg

Ajax: What a great tour that must have been! One day I want to do the C&O Canal/Cumberland Gap towpath tour down there, myself. I believe I've pretty much covered the entirety of the D&L Canal, most of it documented inside this thread. I've yet to do the beginning of it on the southern end at Bristol, PA, but that in itself is a very short run under 20 miles at that.

Run into any bear sightings in the vicinity of the Delaware Water Gap to Honesdale on your trip? I understand in the past decade plus, they've become quite plentiful in the Northwest portion of NJ, in Sussex and Warren Counties....

The D&L itself is a real gem of a run and it's constantly being improved. When it's fully completed, one will be able to run from Bristol, PA all the way up to Wilkes Barre, PA. Here is the D&L website, to get on their mailing list: Delaware & Lehigh - National Heritage Corridor

Mike

mtbr member
    DH great pic's, thanks for sharing.

Wade, smart move getting the doc involved with the bike. Not easy to find a doc that will listen to you and what you wanna do. Especially getting involved with the route to add some stress that he wanted to see. Very nice. Glad to hear your doing well.

Mike, the weather is going to be iffy this week but what about Friday to show you the south end of the canal into Bristol if the weather is good.

Did a ride with my wife this morning and then headed off to some trails on my own. I did 14 yesterday and 13 today. Heading to a childhood friends going away party. Her health is failing and she is moving to her sisters in Tennessee. It will be a cry fest. We were next door neighbors for most of our young lives. It will be sad to see Caryn go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    A couple of quick ride reports: A short 7 miler yesterday, mostly to visit my podiatrist

Today, a nice 16 miler, my Saturday morning breakfast ride with a little loop down into San Jose downtown added on.

Both nice rides, just pounding pedals and enjoying myself.

G

mtbr member
    Back at it today. We had an incredible lightning show over the mountain in the wee hours of the morning, which I got up to watch. It poured for 15-20 minutes, then, after a spectacular hour of light and sound, rolled northwest from my casa.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180721_045802568%5B1%5D.jpg

Got out to the trail at about 6:30. The rain had damped out trail dust, but, with the exception of a few standing puddles, there was little indication of the storm's passage. I'm sure some trees somewhere out there remembered the lightning.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180721_064936668%5B1%5D.jpg

Having been off the bike for the better part of a month, I could feel it, but I did my usual 5 mile loop. At two separate junctures I met a VERY attractive female who was trail running. Double incentive to go out tomorrow, same time.

The bike is still a total joy. I can't imagine life without it.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180721_065729957_hdr%5B1%5D.jpg

I'll be out there again tomorrow!

Fat Biking and health-img_20180721_070322300%5B1%5D.jpg

Shit-eating grin, compliments of Diamondback.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180721_070922174%5B1%5D.jpg
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    Back at it today. We had an incredible lightning show over the mountain in the wee hours of the morning, which I got up to watch. It poured for 15-20 minutes, then, after a spectacular hour of light and sound, rolled northwest from my casa.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180721_045802568[1].jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	1209053

Got out to the trail at about 6:30. The rain had damped out trail dust, but, with the exception of a few standing puddles, there was little indication of the storm's passage. I'm sure some trees somewhere out there remembered the lightning.

Name:	IMG_20180721_064936668[1].jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	1209055

Having been off the bike for the better part of a month, I could feel it, but I did my usual 5 mile loop. At two separate junctures I met a VERY attractive female who was trail running. Double incentive to go out tomorrow, same time.

The bike is still a total joy. I can't imagine life without it.

Name:	IMG_20180721_065729957_HDR[1].jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	1209058

I'll be out there again tomorrow!

Name:	IMG_20180721_070322300[1].jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	1209059

Shit-eating grin, compliments of Diamondback.

Name:	IMG_20180721_070922174[1].jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	1209061
    Curious where those pictures were taken. I live in the NW Valley (Peoria) but don't recognize that area. I actually didn't ride today purposely. Was out on the bike (Raleigh SS) yesterday afternoon and last 15 mi. were spent going west on the canal with 10-12 mph headwind and 107 degrees when I got home. Felt pretty drained last night and this morning so thought it best to stay out of the heat today.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Lost Dutchman State Park, Mole. 😁

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011

Wade, smart move getting the doc involved with the bike. Not easy to find a doc that will listen to you and what you wanna do. Especially getting involved with the route to add some stress that he wanted to see. Very nice. Glad to hear your doing well.
    This has been an interesting method to gain data that is viable as well as valuable. With the source of stress being real world as opposed to induced with meds to make things go berserk, I see it as a more useful test routine that brings results that are worthy. I can do just fine without the meds that drive up the heart rate and blood pressure artificially. That provides bogus test results on every level.

DH, in the future, set up for a time exposure to collect multiple lightning strikes. Great pix!

Ajax, thanks for sharing those pix too!

Always love the pix we have in the thread.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Wade, really glad you seem to be taking things in stride and doing well, buddy.

I'm a super low-key picture taker, just aim the ol' cellphone and click. 😉

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Wade, really glad you seem to be taking things in stride and doing well, buddy.

I'm a super low-key picture taker, just aim the ol' cellphone and click. 😉
    Thankya, DH! I just flow with it all. The option of becoming bitter over the health issues is no bueno and serves no purpose. Doc seems to think my attitude toward it all is amazing and refers to it as being a "trooper". I find that making the best of it and living life for all it's worth is so much better.
    Add to that three RSD's and it's even better!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone arrived back from out trip to France and Italy at 6.30 this morning, one bad thing and possibly the only bad thing about living in OZ is the remoteness of the place. The flights were over twenty hours, and if I could choose I would fly a A380 every time so quite and smooth. I report a few phots in a minute but first a catch up with you guys.

Glad to see that the riding seems to be keeping must of you in your Doctors good books, although that handle bar Tex seemed to want to kill you, a lucky escape there.

Mike great to see that your bike has been covered in trail dust and not road grit, and you really are giving it some serious milage. Great ride report too.

G you too are nocking the milage out of the park. I agree about checking for chain wear regularly as I learned the hard i.e expensive way years ago about letting your chain wear out. My chain checker is my most used tool in the bike shed.

DH, a fantastic looking place and I believe that you sell yourself with your point and click photo style, these look great.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

A France and Italy no ride report...

Hi everyone I hope you don't mind the lack of actual riding in this report, I did a lot of "mind" riding as you will see

Two perfect weeks of weather could not have made our trip better, and as I had promised my wife thirty years ago that I would take her to Paris for her fifty birthday here we are.

Paris is a truly a beautiful city in the summer with plenty of riders making their way around the place on a very eclectic bunch of bikes that get tied to a equally different range of things.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09545.jpg

Peugeot folder.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09571.jpg

Vintage racer.

And a close match to the Peugeot I found the other week chained up in front of a Citroen

Fat Biking and health-dsc09603.jpg

It really makes me happy to see many different riders using all sorts of bikes to get around in Europe, might be due to costs or convenience or just historical reasons but bike riding over there is in a different league to OZ were sport or fitness are by far the main reason to ride.

And when I say all sorts of bikes one thing was noticeable was the numbers of E bikes being used as daily riders by young or old alike. This couple riding past the Verona Arena.

Fat Biking and health-dsc01404.jpg

The next part of our trip into the mountains was ruled by the E Mountain Bike. We had a day trip into the absolutely breath taking Dolomite mountains from Venice...

Fat Biking and health-dsc00815.jpg

Where riding a bike is a little more difficult

Had I expected to see a few E mountain bikes but it was more like 70/30 in favour of the E bikes. And when you see the towns putting in charging stations for passing riders it makes all the more sense.

Fat Biking and health-dsc01169.jpg

If time was spare I would have loved to take this Ducati for a spin in the hills.

Fat Biking and health-dsc01152.jpg

Next up into the high mountains.

OZ.
    Last edited by Surly in OZ; 07-23-2018 at 02:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

A true bucket list riding area...

Hi everyone part two, into the Dolomites.

I knew from watching the "tour" and the Giro that the Dolomites are a beautiful area but seeing them for real was a whole different level. There are some specular places on this planet, and the Dolomites must be close to the top of the list, just left me speechless.

Fat Biking and health-dsc01019.jpg

As we climbed higher every turn in the road seemed to reveal a more specular view that the last. And G plenty of bikers were out enjoying the roads and views.

This from our lunch stop.

Fat Biking and health-dsc01027.jpg

The scenery was so impressive that these two did not stop to wonder why the idiot from OZ was standing on the edge of a corner in the middle of a bridge.

Fat Biking and health-dsc01129.jpg

But rather they looked straight through me to this specular sight.

Fat Biking and health-dsc01106.jpg

Every car or bike that came around the corner slowed or stopped to take in the view.

This cycle tourist kept peddling with a massive grin on his face.

Fat Biking and health-dsc01111.jpg

All of his effort was truly worth it, how I wished to trade places with him for a day. As we headed down we took a different road and we all though that the day was coming to an end when the van pulled over to a little spot to reveal this.

Fat Biking and health-dsc01142.jpg

Again in the distance you can see two cyclists enjoying the beautiful quite roads twisting their way into the mountains.

Fat Biking and health-dsc01143.jpg

These are the roads of my dreams...

Fat Biking and health-dsc01477.jpg

And after meeting an Australian in Como who had just finished a seven day bike tour in Italy, my wife is looking to coming back in a year or two with friends to spend more time in Paris whilst I book a guided and supported tour for a week or so. My fellow Aussie had gone with Velo bike tours and could not speak highly enough of them. So I have some planning to do

DH we ended our trip on the coast at Cinque Terre and although it was heaving with tourist if you climbed a little higher or jumped into the beautiful sea you could find a little bit of paradise.

Fat Biking and health-dsc02238.jpg

The boat leaving the village of Riomaggiore were we stayed for four days.

And the waters off Vernazza were we swam...

Fat Biking and health-dsc02196.jpg

Was over forty hours of flying worth it? no doubt, on our next visit I hope to be riding some of the dream roads and mountains for real.

OZ.

Chief: That sounds like a plan. Let me know via pm the time, etc.

DH: Welcome back. Nice desert shots there. Speaking of storms, a somewhat rare summer coastal storm has worked it's way up the coast. Lotsa small tree branches to pick up from the winds overnight. Good amount of rain and today is just as unsettled. Not to mention the whole of next week will be unsettled stormy weather.

Surly: That looks like a trip of a lifetime to take have taken in. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Friday's Ride Report

Basically it was a homebase run to Lock 1, then north to Trenton, over to Morrisville, PA and then south to a place called Pennsbury Manor. Theen back to homebase. 46 miles total, sunny weather, hot with a hot breeze.

Fat Biking and health-100_3344.jpg
    Northbound, at D&R Canal Lock 1 at Bordentown, New Jersey. In other words, my customary shot of the bike overtop the Lock 1 chamber!
    Fat Biking and health-100_3345.jpg
    Completing the towpath run to Duck Island, I climb up to the South Ward River Park atop NJ Route 29. Then I ride down from this park, and into the New York Yankees Class AA minor league baseball team's Waterfront Park, it's corporate sponsored name is Arm and Hammer Park, Samuel Plumeri Field. As far as I know, they have yet to name the parking lot after someone.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3347.jpg
    Crossing the Delaware River on the Trenton Makes Bridge into Morrisville, PA. Looking northbound on the river, PA side, towards Trenton NJ and the golden dome of the state capital building.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3372.jpg
    A stop at the Morrisvile Dairy Queen for a Large Vanilla shake and a small chocolate cone, then on my way. Just a hundred feet south of DQ is the old PRR train bridge over the Delaware. Today, the Pennsylvania Railroad's industrial landmarks are all over the country. This one features the Amtrak Northeast Corridor line, which links all of the east coasts major cities from Boston to Washington. It also serves the Norfolk Southern.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3351.jpg
    I got lucky to catch this NS freight smoking it up, heading a bit west to the big Morrisville freight yard...
    Fat Biking and health-100_3357.jpg
    The area south of Morrisville down to Tullytown to the south features giant landfill operations. A non-stop parade of garbage trucks racing in and out of the dumps. I was on Bordentown Road, on my way to Pennsbury, with no shoulder to ride on when I decided to take advantage of the fat tires and ride off-road, parallel to the road, in order not to become road kill.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3359.jpg
    Just a small example.

46 Mile Ride Report-Conclusion

Fat Biking and health-100_3360.jpg
    One of the numerous man made lakes at this location. I believe the lakes were made because they needed the sand for whatever industrial projects in the 50's-60's required it. I still recall the Warner Sand Operation, next door to Pennsbury Manor; tugs with barges of the sand would be moved out and the empties returned to do it all over again. Now, I'm lucky if I can get in where once deep draft tugs used to operate, as it's all filled in with sediment; the sand operations long gone.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3362.jpg
    Pennsbury Manor is a recreation of what was once William Penn's summer home away from Philadelphia.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3363.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3364.jpg
    Statue of William Penn. Penn founded Philadelphia and the state is his namesake, Pennsylvania. A quaker, by religion. I did not visit the actual country home recreation set alongside the Delaware River as I wanted to get back home.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3369.jpg
    Not far at all from Pennsbury, a capped off mountain of trash. I mentioned this to Chief a good while back: this would be a great mountain biking course.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3370.jpg
    Waste Management is pretty slick. My home township across the river from this mountain of trash, sued WM over the stench that wafted over the river to settle on the town of Florence, NJ, from this mountain of trash and another one at Tullytown to the south. So, WM said, okay, we'll close this dump. But then they opened this one, which is just across from Fieldsboro and Bordentown, NJ, a bit upriver from Florence. For Trashologists, this entire area and facility must be a dream......you have a methane gas recovery facility that turns that gas into electrical power not far from where I took this picture. Plus the non-stop parade of trash trucks in and out of this place, ripping up the roads. It's also home to what there must be several million sea gulls that are attracted to the food supply. This brings in the rats. And then, the American Bald Eagles get attracted to the infinite supply of rodent-food!
    Fat Biking and health-100_3371.jpg
    In Morrisville, PA, along the spur line that runs from Morrisville Yard, past the Dairy Queen, under the PRR bridge and then points south to industry nearby the US Steel's massive Fairless Steel Works......a very old locomotive. Looks to be an EMD judging by the trucks and the open engine compartent doors. Sure looks to be a 567 series engine there by the looks of the air case covers and valve covers. This is akin to spoting a 67 Chevelle SS 396 rusting away in someone's back yard.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Run into any bear sightings in the vicinity of the Delaware Water Gap to Honesdale on your trip? I understand in the past decade plus, they've become quite plentiful in the Northwest portion of NJ, in Sussex and Warren Counties....
    Didn't see any bear on that trip -- but earlier this month on another trip to NE PA, saw a couple. A 2-year old came down to our lake ready to jump in, deciding at the last moment that all those people in the water might be a bother, so wandered back into the field. And the next day, riding some of the local dirt, surprised a truly large bear walking along the road -- he jumped off into the woods. We've been seeing them at our (tree) farm house and in the woods all around. A young cousin has a recent bearskin on the wall.
    Along with the turkeys and ticks, the bears seem to have made a comeback in the last decade or 2.

Appreciate that response of real world conditions up there, these days. Believe it was 2-3 years ago, a young guy was mauled to death when his group of day hikers encountered a bear in the Water Gap trails. Even was able to snap a picture or two of the actual bear that attacked him. Seems he and his group took off and ran, but he was too slow.

In the early 80's, I did a tour to Canada and back, passing through the entirety of the Water Gap national park. Even camped in Shohola, PA and Long Eddy, NY along the way to getting up to Route 11. Back in that time, if bears were present, they just were not a factor as to what they are today.

This made national news a couple years ago, a Mama bear with her cubs, splashing about in a Northwest NJ backyard swimming pool..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77dtqOOaGLo

mtbr member
    You guys are posting up some awesome pics! Oz, I love some of the areas in Italy you visited. I've been to Italy four times, and have found more and more that it is the places outside the cities that make the trips great. Those mountain pics are killer!

I decided to take the big BMX bike out today to explore some of the roads and dirt lots around my new digs.

Jurassic Dove ... You have to peer pretty close.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180722_071717638_hdr%5B1%5D.jpg

Heh-heh ...

Fat Biking and health-img_20180722_071738945_hdr%5B1%5D.jpg
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    You guys are posting up some awesome pics! Oz, I love some of the areas in Italy you visited. I've been to Italy four times, and have found more and more that it is the places outside the cities that make the trips great. Those mountain pics are killer!

I decided to take the big BMX bike out today to explore some of the roads and dirt lots around my new digs.

Jurassic Dove ... You have to peer pretty close.

Name:	IMG_20180722_071717638_HDR[1].jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	1209218

Heh-heh ...

Name:	IMG_20180722_071738945_HDR[1].jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	1209219
    Enjoying shots of the other side of the valley! I missed one of the organized night rides at MMP in Fountain Hills (about as far east as I ever ride) last night because of my ill advised ride in the heat Friday but did get in 50 with a road group this morning. Feeling pretty good so I may take one of the Fats out tonight depending on what the Monsoon does.
    Mole

mtbr member
    I used to live in Buckeye. Definitely some good riding out west, but I truly prefer the Superstitions, San Tans, and Tucson for riding these days.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Here's a couple pix from Aisan's adventure in todays heat.

Fat Biking and health-img_1160.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_1156.jpg

Was hoping for an afternoon rain shower to happen, but nope, not a drop. Either way, a good time on the flow trails despite the heat.
    I made a frame pad for Aisan to ease the knocks to the knees rippin the trials. What a difference that simple pad makes for the speed runs though the twists and turns. Pulling up power was not quite as good due to the heat making breathing less efficient. A cool day provides a dense air charge into the lungs unlike a hot day.

Also of note is the 3.25's! These lovely tires are hella fun with a comfortable ride and mega traction. Going through the turns can be done at higher speeds without washout being the result.

Thanks to all for sharing their pix. Always great to see.

OZ, glad you had a great holiday. Pix are awesome!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mike, another great ride pushing the miles. Had you not told us the green hill was covering a pile of trash I would have never known. Looks like a pretty place to ride.

DH your new digs look like a great place to explore, and the man size BMX is just the bike for ripping around town.

Wade great to see you out on the trails, Aisan looks like it could ride anything with those tyres and F/S must be a blast to ride. Hope you get a little rain to make the trails prime.

On another note my LBS, Drift Bikes Newcastle just moved into a new shop whilst I was away. Oh boy if I suddenly stop posting it might be because I have gone and spent too much money there and the good wife has found out The shop is four times the size it was and has so much more candy from different brands.

I don't need another bike, I don't need another bike, I don't...

OZ.

Surly In Oz: Thanks! Unfortunately, that mountain is off limits. Pretty much everything owned by Waste Management (which has Pennsbury pretty much surrounded on 3 sides; the 4th being the Delaware River) in this vicinity is posted Private Property, No Trespassing, Patrolled, Violaters Prosecuted, etc. The areas around those lakes are private as well, and patrolled. Seems every square inch of the US northeast is posted as Private Property, which whittles down the bike riding to the towpaths and down where I am, the NJ Pine Barren forest sand roads. Oh, and lotsa roadways/asphalt riding. We are all particular creatures to the environment we live in and adapt accordingly!

DH: I take it that your areas out there are home to big dinosaur finds? That little park seems like an oasis surrounded by a barren landscape that time forgot!

Wade: Nice ride there and a great idea there which I've never seen before, a padded top tube. Kinda reminds me of those rubber fuel tank pads on some motorcycles such as the Royal Enfields that the riders use when cornering; getting the knees closer to the center of the bike. Of the few downhill mtb videos I've seen, I've never seen one bike set up like that, and now, I begin to really wonder why not. Rear Rock Shock: Lately, I've been going to 300 psi in mine as I find anything less really gets to bottoming out this shock. What kind of pressures do you run in yours? Lotta brown there, looks like rain has been scarce. Looking like we are entering a phase where the next 2 weeks will be rainy.

mtbr member
    My new town is definitely the land that time forgot!
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    OZ, great report. I was going to ask if you got to see any of the tour.

Mike that's a 20 mile round trip for me to William's house. If you take the right fork in the back it takes you to a ball field and boat launch....... plus I haven't tried it yet but I think a road around the east side of that large mountain of trash. I will check it at some point.

I'll let you know.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Thankya OZ! I'm beginning to wonder if we're in the Sahara Desert around here.

Mike, the rear shock is 190-200 psi. With different makes of bikes, the pressure needed will differ based on rocker ratio along with the geometry if the rear end. The original shock was good to go at 175. The frame pad was common years ago on BMX bikes. It does preserve knees quite nicely.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mike, I'm out for Friday. Attending a funeral of a friend that passed today.

Super humid the past few days, we've been in the 70% category. I've been getting rides in around the downpours so far. Got wet yesterday but it felt good. Took the Fuse out for 10+ miles. Today I took the Crosstrail and rode some streets. Felt good but this humidity can go away.

Chief: I'm sorry to hear of your friend passing away. Let me know whenever you're up for that run.

Wade: Thanks for that info. I seem to be happy on the hard asphalt roads and hard pack canal surfaces with 280-300 psi. For a long time I was running at 175, using various adjustment combinations of the valve, but still, I noted the o ring indicating max bottoming on the slight dips I'd hit on the roads. Rocker ratio differences between all bikes is a good observation there. No two manufacturer's seem to be the same.

Kinda occured to me a good number of Fat Biking and Health folks have been missing in action for a good while now. Appreciative of the folks we have today, bringing their great reports and pictures to the forum. It helps keep it going and alive. Speaking of Old Bear: hope he and his family are doing well and the hope here is he starts posting again.....

Riding: not since last Friday's ride report. A rare coastal storm moved up from the south over the weekend and since then, we have been stuck in a sub-tropical-like super humid weather pattern featuring spot thunderstorms and a whole slew of flood warnings over in Central Pennsylvania. Some of that rain is headed our way for today.

mtbr member
    Just when I thought I knew what fat meant ...

Fat Biking and health-img_20180725_065223874_hdr%5B1%5D.jpg

This was on the way to work today.

Cheers, gents!
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Yikes! I have those cheap bars on one of my bikes...and I use it fairly aggressively.

Considering the potential consequences of a similar failure, it might be time to consider replacing it

[QUOTE=iliketexmex;13743728]
    Crazy one today; my handlebar broke. I pulled up on the front to get over a small log-stack obstacle and I felt the handlebar give way a little bit. Then it snapped off. There was no dent or obvious defect. I thought about taking to the metallurgy lab at work out of curiosity.

I was pretty lucky I didn't get badly injured. Had it snapped on a down motion I would have been screwed, probably impaled. I contacted Amazon to let them know they might want to look at a recall (Unsurprisingly, they have a process to deal with that type of thing). In the meantime, don't buy Wake Cycle bars. I bought a replacement at my LBS. I don't go there often just because I travel so much, I may start using them a little more.

mtbr member
    Two places I never cheap out on: Handlebars and pedals. Contact points are definitely worth spending the extra dough.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Never a failure with Loaded Precision AMX bar and they are in living color!
    Pedals have been Straitline, VP and Atomlab for the most part, cause everything hasta be in color.

Lucky for Tex, no injury resulted from the bar failure.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I've been out each day so far this week. A few sprinkles, a nice cooling off .......LOL. Today I got hammered, as I started out it was spritzing. I was staying around home, hoping to get 10 in. I got out into the township along a power line and it poured. I mean torrential. I rode for 2 miles in it, soaked but smiling. I made a quick turn across a street and into a driveway, it was the wrong way. I did the loop in front of a senior citizens home, on the porch were 4 older ladies. They hooted and hollered and waved as I rode through their lot. They were sitting on the porch enjoying the rain and smiling at me. LOL
    Made me laugh and smile the rest of the ride. As I got up near the turnpike the roads were dry. I couldn't believe it, I was soaked and dripping and everything there was dry.
    I got my 10 in, nice slow easy pace. I got home, rinsed off the bike (it was muddy). Knocked on a window for a towel which my wife brought out. I bounced the Fuse to get the excess water off and put it away in the shed. Took off my riding clothes, wrapped myself in the towel, put my soaking stuff on the line and hit the shower.

We'll see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully I get my Jeep back all fixed after my accident. Fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Old bear seems to be doing OK. He posts quite a bit on Facebook. We talk there daily.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hallo! I've been pretty busy with Stuff the past few days and haven't been online much. I'll have to read through the thread to catch up in the morning. But today I had a pretty good ride...

---
    Ride Report - 25JUL2018

It was time for my regular bi-weekly doctor appointment at Samaritan Hospital Medical Center, down at the south-west end of San Jose where it meets Los Gatos, and where Highway 17 and Highway 85 cross. This is about fourteen miles away by bicycle and the path there and back wiggles through some lovely neighborhoods as well as runs a good stretch of Gazos Creek Trail, alongside the creek. The round trip distance generally runs 25 to 30 miles depending on exactly what paths I take.

I decided to see if my new Leica CL with my two 'standard' lenses would be a carry-able proposition on this kind of bicycle ride. First positive indicator was that the camera fitted with the mount adapters, half case, and Elmarit-R 28mm lens fits neatly along with the Summilux-R 50mm lens into my Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L bag ... my usual bicycle carry ... and is not overly heavy.

So off I went. It was a pretty warm day ... I started when temps were around 85°F and as I rode along they ran up as high as 96°. But it was nice riding with light wind and a fun route.

I don't stop too often when I'm on a ride, but I made an effort to stop and take a couple of photos while running along Gazos Creek Trail as I approached the crossing which take me over the creek itself and then over Highway 17, near the Hospital complex.

So here's a rather pretty little winding uphill just before I reached the creek crossover:

Gazos Creek Trail is nicely maintained and pretty heavily used. I was lucky to be on it at an hour where few others were using it, so no traffic at all!

Next I had to cross the creek from south to north to manage the Highway 17 underpass. Here's a view from that bridge down into the creek.

Under this vantage point, what you can't see is a bit of a steep little falls as the creek bed is managed to flow over a concrete abutment and fall about 40 feet down ... Thus the windy and steep uphill in the previous photo.

Next, I've negotiated through the park area of the trail, where there are lots of facilities and a couple of small man-made lakes for recreational use. Next we cross the creek again, this time over a steek and wood bridge. Here I'm in the mid-span of that bridge and you can see Highway 17 running alongside the creek.

Looking straight down the span, you can see the trail pavement wiggle around and in the distance the highway walking/biking bridge overpass. A bicyclist popped into view just in time for some scale...

I stopped mid-span over the top of the bridge and snapped a couple there. This view shows Highway 17 below, looking west to the Santa Cruz Mountains.

This view gives you an idea of the crossover bridge ... they guard carefully against people throwing things down on the road below, as well as keeping people from falling, with high wire-link fencing.

Finally over the bridge, you're in a nicely little cul de sac of suburban homes. All the roads in this little neighborhood are themed as the names of composers. I thought this intersection would be a nice place for a musician or music lover to live.

From there, I had to wiggle around a bit and find the path over to the next little community, scoot across the busy South Bascom Avenue, through another nice little neighborhood, over yet another bicycle crossing bridge to the hospital complex.

My route home went on surface streets a little to the east of the trail. I stopped to see whether my 'other favorite' bicycle shop had moved yet—they have, I'll have to visit the new store in Cupertino soon—and back up to my neighborhood via my usual route. Temps had gotten quite high and I was feeling both dry and hungry, so I stopped at a local sandwich shop for lunch and a LOT of water. Snapped a photo of FCC while I was eating my sandwich:

Looking great, running great ... I turned 1120 miles on it since April today. Tires still have meat, new chain fitted about 70 miles ago.

Home was another four miles on from there. I went inside, stripped off my wet bicycle gear, pulled on my swim trunks, and jumped into the pool for a refreshing swim. Then inside, a quick shower off, and a half hour nap.

BTW: The camera worked flawlessly and was not an issue to carry... I never did get a moment to change lenses, but eh? so what? Life is Good!

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Chief, I did catch the last few miles on TV at the end of the day when we were coming back to the hotels to freshen up before going out for dinner. Much nicer than sitting up to 1.30/2 am down here in OZ Still I have watched more of it now that we are home.

Thanks for the Old Bear up date good to hear.

Nice Camera set up G, I am sure you will make the most of it. These first picks look great, after carrying a mirrorless set up for to weeks in Europe its a great way to travel. A CL might get me a up grade to first class

OZ.

mtbr member
    Two places I never cheap out on: Handlebars and pedals. Contact points are definitely worth spending the extra dough.

Would agree fully..... but with the caveat that with the way things are rebranded these days, it's often difficult to be exactly sure of what you're getting.

I've seen those cheap Scudoo pedals you see on ebay rebranded with a more reputable name and marked up 300%. The same probably happens with bars, stems and assorted other bits.

I'm pretty sure some of the this-and-that name-brand parts in my bin are counterfeit too.

As for the quality of reputable name brands, that's no a guarantee either. I destroyed a fresh new pair of $80 VP pedals with a single rock strike.....it was a pretty hard hit, but there is no way they should've bent up the way they did. For that reason alone I consider certain parts semi-disposable.

.....all that said, I have an order in with CRC and a new bar is on it's way.
    Last edited by Mr Horse; 07-26-2018 at 08:17 AM.

Chief: You are braver than I. No riding up until today, what with this on and off rain and super high humidity.

G: That camera did a fantastic job, what to say but wow! Almost a high definition look to those pics. And I must say, that is some riding area you have there. Sure beats the pictures of giant landfills that somebody posted here recently....

DirtyHun and Mr Horse: Great advice to live by. I've used this website's own reviews of gear to make a purchase, in particular the OneUp composite pedals I purchased for the Haibike after the OEM junk cracked in two on a ride. The Cane Creek Ergo Bar Ends I have on both fatbikes are there because of the reviews and real world opinion from this here website as well.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Chief, there's sompin bout a rainy day ride that brings out the kid in us!

The southwest may as well be the Sahara this summer.
    Doctor recommended...

5000 miles.....

Another standard Homebase ride up to Lock 1 and the towpath and back. And as I was scrolling through the controller, checking average speed, miles run, I noted the odometer rolled past 5000 miles.

Long Term Observations, Haibike Full FatSix, Yamaha PW Drive

Still running on the original Magura MT brake pads. Same chain. Same Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 4.0 front tire. Just a few barrel adjustments for the derailleurs. Tightened slightly the front head set bearings as they were a tad bit loose a few months ago. New tubes focused on the rear tire. Quite a few flats, especially the rear and despite the Mr Tuffy tire liners. Wheels and spokes have not been touched or adjusted, though I believe they could use a touch of truing as there is a teeny, teeny tiny wobble, especially in the front rim. Replaced the OEM Haibike plastic pedals with OneUp composite platform pedals.

The Yamaha drive system has worked every single ride, every single mile pedaled. In driving rain, in falling snow, in the heat of summer and the cold of winter. If there is battery degradation, I have not noted or detected it. Over a week ago, I explored the upper range limits of this drive system and was rewarded with a 95 mile run up and down the towpaths and local roadways, with about 18% power left to spare. If there could be any complaint, it would be the controller display is prone to scratching on it' front face. Mine has just a couple.

Modifications: Cane Creek Ergo Bar ends, which give me several other riding positions that simply aren't there with standard handlebar grips. Portland Design Works Bindle rear seat post rack and Revelate Designs Terrapin Dry bag. Both are designed in conjunction with the other. I store my fix-a-flat gear inside, including air pump. Universal do-it-all tool and my trusty Airlite Mayfly portable ultralight seat. Ortlieb Ultimate 6 Large handle bar bag. Old Man Mountain Sherpa Fat Bike front rack that will accomodate 2 Ortlieb QL2 commuter bags for extended day touring..... Ortliebs simply are the best, period. They are waterproof, which comes in handy during rain or snow. I won't buy another bag unless it's an Ortlieb.

I had some of the associated peices to the Sherpa rack powdercoated matte black at a nearby Powdercoating shop. The plain steel hardware supplied by OMM were discarded for stainless steel, including the Aircraft Clamps that fit around the Rock Shox Bluto fork. I had to do some fiddling to the supplied Quick release skewer as well, as I wanted to keep the quick release black like the OEM thru axle lever, I bought a black Hope Skewer and transfered that black quick release lever to the OMM long skewer shaft.

Current plans eventually are an OMM Sherpa rack for the rear suspension triangle, allowing me full use of a rear Ortlieb pannier system. A front Schmidt SON28 dyno hub that will power a high end German lighting system front and rear.

Lotsa miles and smiles and the Fatboy sits, collecting dust. This has been beyond fun. It's a whole new dimension of riding that opens up options in distances run according to the power output I select. 5000 miles and I can look on Ebay and find most motorcycles for sale have less miles on their odometer than I do with this bicycle. A tribute to the engineers at Haibike and Yamaha. Here is to the next 5 grand.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    G: That camera did a fantastic job, what to say but wow! Almost a high definition look to those pics. And I must say, that is some riding area you have there. Sure beats the pictures of giant landfills that somebody posted here recently....
    Thanks Mike! Yes the Leica CL is quite a little camera and my ancient Leica R lenses often just amaze me with their quality, even on today's wunderkinder digital cameras! And there are a huge number of very nice marked bicycle paths and trails to ride around here. I've only scratched the surface as yet.

A small correction: Several people have noted that what I called "Gazos Creek Trail" is actually the "Los Gatos Creek Trail." Absolutely correct … I even knew that, but had a brain hiccup when preparing the photos and writing the little article.

(Gazos Creek is about 35 miles to the west, on the other side of the Santa Cruz Mountains in the Big Basin park area. One of these days I'll get over there with the bike to ride that one too. )

---
    No ride yesterday. I had a huge amount of errand running to do which consumed the entire day, but I had time to take a break for my afternoon coffee somewhere around 5pm. I combined it with a little walk around downtown San Jose and had the camera with me, so if you're curious to look here's a little gallery of nine photos I made.

San Jose Walk - Caffe Frascati 2018 : https://flic.kr/s/aHsmnccgVn

enjoy!
    G

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Horse View Post
    Would agree fully..... but with the caveat that with the way things are rebranded these days, it's often difficult to be exactly sure of what you're getting.

I've seen those cheap Scudoo pedals you see on ebay rebranded with a more reputable name and marked up 300%. The same probably happens with bars, stems and assorted other bits.

I'm pretty sure some of the this-and-that name-brand parts in my bin are counterfeit too.

As for the quality of reputable name brands, that's no a guarantee either. I destroyed a fresh new pair of $80 VP pedals with a single rock strike.....it was a pretty hard hit, but there is no way they should've bent up the way they did. For that reason alone I consider certain parts semi-disposable.

.....all that said, I have an order in with CRC and a new bar is on it's way.
    I ride RaceFace pedals and bars. I don't think they have ever been part of any rebranded junk.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Nice fast 13 mile ride today, around yet another variant of my usual loop. Stopped for a pleasant lunch at the local lunch shop, and stopped into the LBS for a quick visit.

One of my buddies there has moved to one of their other stores, the bugger. I guess I'll have to ride out there to visit him: it's a fine buzz down the Los Gatos Creek trail again, almost to the end. Next week most likely.

G

mtbr member
    OZ, good to hear, I couldn't imagine being there with it going on and not catching some of it.
    G, nice report. I was wondering about you and the fires. Hoping all is well.

Wade, yeah the rain does bring out the best in us. The smiles and good feelings.

Mike, the humidity has been a bitch. But I'm acclimated and doing OK. I drink before, during and after my rides.

Just a heads up and not something I thought I'd have to report. I rode this morning before attending Tom's funeral. I got 13+ in, it was warm and humid but I did OK. I went and got my MIL to take her to the funeral, Tom's Mom lived next to her. Tom was 62 at his passing. He was a special needs for his entire life. He seemed to enjoy his life, but you never know. We were sitting in the church and the mass was about to start and the church started filling up. All the special needs people that lived with Tom for the past 55 years were filing into the church. The priest was the person the said mass for Tom and all of his friend daily. I'm not a religious person. It was such a moving mass, the priest knew each of the people that came from Tom's facility. They got up and spoke of Tom, it was very special. I am SO glad I made it.
    This evening I read about an armed robbery on the canal path I ride daily. Two white males on bikes robbed someone of smoke and money. What the hell is this world coming to? I will continue to ride the area with my eyes wide open. Just not right.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    G, nice report. I was wondering about you and the fires. Hoping all is well.
    Thanks for thinking of me. The fires are all either well to the north or well to the south of me: There's nothing for at least 100 miles radius around my location. Lots of people having to deal with it, however. I always feel for them and donate to the relief funds.

There have always been cruel and foolish people, they come and go. Sorry to hear they're on your path at present. Yes, keep your eyes open and stay safe!

I don't think I knew of or heard of Tom before. Sounds like the service was an uplifting experience, I'm glad you had that out of it.

We'll all depart sooner or later. Let's just try to make our stay as good as we can by being there for each other.

onwards,
    G

Chief: That sounds like just an incredible, touching funeral mass for Tom. Strong arm robbery: You do realize had it not been for Tom's passing, we'd have been around that vicinity of the robbery by gun in that general time frame, right?

I did a north canal towpath run yesterday, so I'll get my pictures downloaded and go from there.

Ride Report: Humidity, Heat, High Water

Destination: Easton, Pennsylvania at the D&L parking lot to Allentown PA Canal Park and back to Easton

Mileage: 33.2
    Avg Speed/Max Speed: 11.2/19.9
    Battery Pct Left: 34%
    Weather: Cloudy, hot, humid, rain, thunderstorms in area followed by sun on return end starting at Bethlehem

Fat Biking and health-100_3373.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3374.jpg
    At the start of the ride at Easton, PA, where the Lehigh River meets the Delaware River. Both rivers are high and flowing very fast. Normally, the Lehigh here at the dam is a slow trickle of a river as water levels are much, much, much lower than now. So I got to wondering how deep the towpath is under water, as it moves right alongside the Lehigh, under the PA611 bridge.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3375.jpg
    About 3 inches.... Of course, that's subject to change as any storms up north dump rain run off into the river, this could be deeper or not, the next time I roll on through, coming back here.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3376.jpg
    Several hundred yards to the north of the 611 bridge, a look south on the old canal remains and the abandoned railroad bridge. The area of Easton and Phillipsburg, NJ was a major railroad (and canal hub before the RR's came into existence) hub, with quite a few RR bridges crossing the Delaware or Lehigh Rivers. Also in this area, a large & abandoned Lehigh Valley RR passenger station and what appears to be some kind of LV RR maintenance shop exist, both abandoned. The engineering of these bridges are substantial and a testament to the quality built within.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3377.jpg
    Same vantage point, looking north. The only reason this canal is dewatered is for some kind of construction or maintenance. This section of the canal, up to the Chain of Rocks dam, is part of the Hugh Moore Canal Park and Museum. A replica canal boat is located there, for public rides. Mules pull the boat, just as they did in the olde days. But I suspect right now the canal boat Josiah White is sitting in mud....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3378.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3380.jpg
    This is a new construction since the last I was here. BTW, I tried this on the way back. I'll leave the jumping skills and camber turns to the Kidz, thank you very much. My thing is distance A to B riding, no catching of air, etc...
    Fat Biking and health-100_3381.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3382.jpg
    Leaving the Hugh Moore section of the canal, I cross and iron girder bridge over the Lehigh and begin the Palmer Township section of the canal, in particular the 2 plus miles of paved surface. This is a short and relatively steep series of S curves to get me to the higher bluffs above the Lehigh that the Palmer section is located.

Friday's Ride Report-Part 2

Fat Biking and health-100_3383.jpg
    Coming off of the paved asphalt at Palmer Twp, the towpath is picked up again. You are riding in canal sections yet to be developed by the D&L people. Old canal wall remains are present. Some sections of the path are on a raised towpath, to your right on the northbound run, the abandoned canal. To the left is a very high and fast moving Lehigh river. Then you come to Freemansburg, a wonderful restoration of the Lehigh Canal. This mule house was a recreation of what was once here. Note the sign there, wanting Horses as is....a humorous goof.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3384.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3385.jpg
    Freemansburg, PA. Lock 44 and Lock 44 Tender's House. Remember again, this was before the age of the automobile and the train. And the only way to move commerce, heavy commerce, from the north....like timber or coal or food, was by canal barge drawn by mule teams. Maybe one day in the future, the interstates and state roads will be memorialized like this towpath is, to a time now gone and passed!
    Fat Biking and health-100_3386.jpg
    Just a wee touch north of Lock 44, Freemansburg, and the high water of the relatively straight canal run in Freemansburg....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3387.jpg
    Bethlehem, PA, north of Sand Island.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3388.jpg
    Before the Fatbikes came along, I used to pedal this canal with my old and trusty Trek 9000. Bought an out of state fishing license and fished this canal. Great pickerel and bass fishing to be had here, along with crappies and sunny's. Trout too, if you spring for the license. But at near 60 bucks for that license, I just did it for the one year....

Friday Ride Report Completion

Fat Biking and health-100_3389.jpg
    Stop off point, Allentown Canal Park, Allentown, PA. Under my familiar pine trees, time to set up my ultra light chair, break out my drink, my camera and wait up for the coming freights of the Norfolk Southern to rumble by me, just 20 feet or so away from my vantage point.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3390.jpg
    Sit down in my chair, take a few swigs of drink and then hear the rumble of thunder over to the west towards Allentown's main city center. Then it started to spritz, which became rain.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3392.jpg
    On top of the rain, very little train action within the yard as I passed it going north to here. Rain, 100 percent humidity. Time to leave. Approximate time spent resting up here: about 20 minutes.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3393.jpg
    Southbound and you have to be careful where you lean the bike. Don't want to lean it right into poison ivy....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3395.jpg
    Southbound to Easton and I am coming upon the Lock 44 section. The cloud cover had things looking dark and gloomy. No other hikers or bikers out, I had this canal towpath to myself.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3396.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3397.jpg
    On the Hugh Moore Canal Park property, the drained canal to my right, and the high, fast moving Lehigh to my left, I come upon this little guy in the middle of the towpath. To save him from getting run over and killed, I found a spot of relatively deep canal water within the drained canal, walked down to the waters edge and placed him there.

A pretty uneventful run, in murky, wet conditions. Kinda a waste of time to drive near 80 miles one way to do this run, but run it is. But after staying local for the past few months and the attraction of my home area has long left me. Right now, there is no doubt on a Saturday morning, free of rain and storm, that the day trippers and riders will be all along this canal reach here. But for today, the gloomy conditions kept people away.

mtbr member
    Chief: That sounds like just an incredible, touching funeral mass for Tom. Strong arm robbery: You do realize had it not been for Tom's passing, we'd have been around that vicinity of the robbery by gun in that general time frame, right?

I did a north canal towpath run yesterday, so I'll get my pictures downloaded and go from there.
    Tom's mass was something special. A few tears were shed, his funeral card was a great one.

Yes I did think of that. I spoke with my EMA Coordinator today and he said it was someone from the Amish Market that was robbed. I rode it today at that time and nothing. Lots of homeless hanging around the canal recently and that will get them moved pretty quickly. I spoke with a few today and the PD has been all over them looking for these 2 guys. Lots of vehicle traffic along the canal path too. I'm assuming it's PD.

There was a tree down in Bristol near the lagoon and that finally got taken care of since the PD needed access to loo around. SO that's good.

Great ride and report Mike. I was gonna ask if you tried the skillz test. LOL
    No jumping or air here either.

Chief: Thank ya! Yeah, on the way back to the truck, I decided to try it out. About halfway around, I said to myself, that's enough of this. I'm liable to bust my ass. No witnesses around, which is a good thing, too. But what a cool little set up for the kids to use here. They've done a lot of improvements to the Canal Park here over the past few years, including a concrete walking path around the property; including this skills course.

We still have to do that run from Bristol to it's end a bit north. Let me know when you are up for it. And let me know if you have any interest in tackling this Easton-Allentown back to Easton run. Aside from that S curve climb out of the Hugh Moore Park I photographed, it is all water level running, with a lot of great scenery and of course, the Allentown rail yard just right across the towpath from Bethlehem's Sand Island to Allentown Canal Park. Think fall, when the leaves turn color....

I checked on line for the local bucks county courier times this am and they had nothing about this robbery. Great follow up information there. I too hope they find these guys and put them away. Preying on people walking the towpaths is the kind of social issue that has to be dealt with head on in order for the public to feel safe.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, managed to get my first long ride since getting back from Italy and it was great. I took the CC out as I wanted an easy roll to start things off with. Beautiful day temps in the low 20 dec C plenty of sun and a strong N.W wind. Rolled along the Fernleigh Track for a 37 km round trip.

One thing I did notice the hills were a little easier, I weighed myself the other morning and with all the walking we did in France and Italy I managed to loose 4 kg (9 pound) which is a nice bonus. So I have now lost the 10 kg (22 pounds) I wanted to loose this year. Now I just need to stay away from the Chocolate Milk and Chocolate to keep it off

Chief sounds like Tom had a good send off, shame about the thieves on the trail hope they get caught.

Mike great ride the bike has paid for itself many times over. I hope to used my sons car in the next week or so to get a ride in away from my local roads and trails. Your post gives me some motivation to do so.

Glad the fires a passing you by G, its been a terrible week around the world for fires and storms. No regrets on the CL purchase? seems like a great way to use the older lenses.

Well another five days of work to get through until I can get an adventure ride in, to and from work will have to tide me over.

OZ.