Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 13535960616263
Results 6,201 to 6,256 of 6256
    mtbr member
    Wade, glad to hear your kidneys are functioning well. Hang tough and listen to them. I'd hold off on the pain meds until i really needed them.

Mike your really cranking out that mileage, pretty impressive.

G, don't let the revolutionary's get to ya. They're good in their own right. Nice to get those compliments every once in a while. I had a doctor appointment yesterday. You're than me female doc. I've dropped 4 lbs, kidneys and liver are doing great, cholesterol is very good. Keep doing what your doing.
    I'm told I don't look my age ....... I don't act it either.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Thankya, Chief. It's something I have been dealing with for the last 15 years. Listening to the tellings of the body has its benefit, indeed.
    Zero processed food in my diet has been the largest preventive measure. Besides, my bikes insist on leaded premium fuel for their motor!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    As planned, I made it up to San Francisco yesterday and had a lovely bit of time wandering through a gallery and Leica Store San Francisco ... they have an excellent gallery too, and I spent some time evaluating their new compact system camera that I've been interested in. Nice people there and at the other gallery; a quick bite for lunch; train up and back. It was most of the day, so no ride yesterday at all.

---
    Today, I had my biweekly medical visit for an injection and decided to ride down there. I also wanted to ride over by my friend's house on the eastern side of south San Jose, just to know the way, and made a day of it.

The route down to the doctor's office can be done several ways, but today I decided on the surface streets path and chugged down a familiar run. It's just over 10 miles there, riding mostly on quieter streets through pleasant surburbia. Lots of lovely homes and gardens to see along the way!

I arrive at the office and the nurse comes to get me. "Damn, your legs look good! And sexy!" Second time this week! I reach down and stroke my quadriceps, "Thanks, baby. And they feel sooo nice too. ..." She nearly fell over laughing, just as I did. Nancy and I joke around constantly, she's really sweet and a great friend. So I get stuck in the butt ("With these little stretchy hot pants on, it's real easy to strip you down, ya know? ..." ) and head off for the next destination. I found there's a nice shunt around the heavily trafficked streets ... a quiet little cul de sac behind the hospital, a pedestrian/bicycle bridge over one freeway, another little shunt through another bit of suburbia, then another bridge over yet another freeway ramp complex .. and you drop directly into the Los Gatos Creek Trail. I run that up to central south San Jose and exit onto Willow Street, heading east.

A couple of blocks later, the road crews are there doing resurfacing and the road surface is like corrugated tin sheeting. A young woman on a roadie bike was talking with the foreman at the corner, "Yes, the road's all torn up like this through to Lincoln from here. It's closed, although the sidewalk is mostly open. ..."

She looks at me, at my bike, and laughs: "Well, you're well equipped for this. Those are some big-ass tires you got there. I'm getting thrown all over the place on my little bike." She smiled, I smiled, the foreman took a look and laughed out loud. "I reckon you could just roll right down through the construction with that bike!"

"Yup, I could. But I know the road one block over just wiggles along beside this one all the way to Lincoln. I'll just take that." And I sped off.

It was a lovely little detour down the mostly unused side road that paralleled the main one. Nicer than riding the main road, actually. I continued on, got into the busy part of the SoSJ business area past Lincoln, turned north towards my friend's neighborhood, and zipped past her house. She'd just sent a txt that she was still in Santa Cruz (about 25 miles away) so we'll get together on Monday to catch up.

Not a bad ten mile stint. I turned back and zipped into SJ downtown, to my favorite downtown cafe for a bottle of water, a cup of coffee, and one of those nice chocolate eclairs they get. That was good. And now on towards home ... But ... I'd been hearing a little clicking, only when I was pedaling, that seemed unusual. I started listening to it, and noticed that the shifting was a little rougher than usual too. Hmm. I wonder how many miles I've got on this bike now?

Made a detour into the LBS and said hello to the boys. Explained the noise I was hearing, and the shifting. He listened to it on the stand, took it for a test ride, then pulled out the gauge and checked the chain. "You sure have put a lot of miles on here. This chain is nearly worn out, it's at .71 on my scale and I'm supposed to replace them at .74."

I thought it might be that, I've got over 900 miles on the bike since we did the updates to the drive... They had a new chain in stock, so fitted it on the spot. I took it for a test ... Noise gone, shifting all smooth and easy again. Paid the bill and headed out for home, just two miles away.

32 miles total on that ride. And I had no aches, no pain in butt or legs. I feel great, and the bike is just perfect.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Cheers from Corfu, gang. This place would be a great spot for off road riding! We've been on the beach a lot, taking in the afternoons from an amazing restaurant, and wandering down to the village by our villa in the evening. Hope everyone is doing well. 😁
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Fat Biking & Health Rider

Wednesday's Ride Report: A personal fatbike best

G: As usual, nice report!
    Dirty Hun: Great to hear you having a great time overseas!

Destination: Homebase to Milford, New Jersey and back via NJ Delaware & Raritan Canal and Pennsylvania Delaware and Lehigh Canal towpath routes

Mileage: 95.4 miles
    Average Speed: 10.4 mph
    Total Odometer: 4879 miles
    Battery Pct remaining: 18.1%
    Weather: Mostly sunny, cool breeze running down the Delaware River in a tunnel-like effect, 86 degrees

Notes: Haibike Full FatSix, Tires at 25 psi, motor power set between the Eco and +Eco settings to achieve greatest mileage and economy.........Do I plan on "breaking" this personal record anytime soon? No, at mile 60 I was drained. At mile 95.4 I questioned my sanity............If anything, the Yamaha is the economy champ in ebikes. Now, if they only had a big enough watt-hour battery to allow a run like this be done in the upper power settings of High or Standard...........But overall, for a 400wh battery, outstanding economy and range.........Bike performed flawlessly and the rider was kept lubricated with Arizona Green Tea (5 large cans of it) and a 5 Hour Energy...........So, starting out Butt'red up, Lathered up, doped up, psyched up and out, here we go.......
    Fat Biking and health-100_3239.jpg
    Homebase. 0800 hours. The last time this bike will be this clean today is right now.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3240.jpg
    Where's Waldo with his Haibike? Propped up against this giant stacks of hay. Crystal Lake Park, Mansfield Twp, NJ
    Fat Biking and health-100_3242.jpg
    Northbound, Lock 1, D&R Canal State Park (NJ)
    Fat Biking and health-100_3243.jpg
    Lock 1 Canal Towpath and I'm the only person using it, early Wed morning
    Fat Biking and health-100_3245.jpg
    Northbound, off of the Lock 1 towpath and entering the sketchiest part of this ride, the mile and a half or so of bike riding in the capital city of NJ, Trenton. I will be heading up hill into a nice park atop the NJ Route 29 highway.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3247.jpg
    Ride through the park atop the highway. Then come down to the AA Trenton Thunder baseball team property. Do some inner city biking, a couple lefts and rights and here we are: the base of the Trenton Makes The World Takes bridge. Here I'll cross the Delaware to access the D&L Canal at Morrisville, PA

Part 2 Wed Ride Report

Fat Biking and health-100_3251.jpg
    Morrisville, PA levee. Northbound, looking towards the Calhoun Street Bridge, where I will enter the D&L Canal and work my way north
    Fat Biking and health-100_3254.jpg
    D&L Canal, Morrisville, PA, looking north
    Fat Biking and health-100_3255.jpg
    Heron, D&L Canal
    Fat Biking and health-100_3257.jpg
    Northbound, coming upon Yardley, PA and a speeding northbound CSX freight overhead doing about 55 mph or so
    Fat Biking and health-100_3258.jpg
    The D&L has these terrific mile markers telling you where you are and what the next town up (or, on the other side and heading south) is. Outstanding towpath canal, can't imagine one better maintained than this one, from Morrisville all the way up to White Haven, PA...
    Fat Biking and health-100_3261.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3262.jpg
    Numerous viaducts are on the stretch of canal from here all the way up to Easton, PA
    Fat Biking and health-100_3264.jpg
    Canal Towpath riding, an endless vista of towpath, water and woods. Don't get no better than this.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3265.jpg
    Revolutionary Soldiers graves near Bowman's Tower, north of where Washington crossed the Delaware River on his Christmas eve attack on Trenton, NJ, 24 Dec 1776
    Fat Biking and health-100_3266.jpg
    Northbound towpath, near the Soldiers Graves

Part 3 Wed Ride Report

Fat Biking and health-100_3269.jpg
    Northbound, D&L Canal at New Hope, PA. This is what remains of the Chez Odette Restaurant and it's on the move. Flooded out quite a few times in the early 2000's as was most of these river towns up here. But it's main claim to fame is this is where network news anchor Jessica Savitch, on a dark and rainy evening, left this restaurant with her friend and drove mistakenly into the canal, killing her and her occupant.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3270.jpg
    New Hope, D&L Canal. Stagnant water
    Fat Biking and health-100_3272.jpg
    New Hope, PA
    Fat Biking and health-100_3273.jpg
    A detour due to construction...
    Fat Biking and health-100_3275.jpg
    Means lifting this bike onto this bridge. Then some asphalt road riding on PA 32
    Fat Biking and health-100_3277.jpg
    ....to where we hook up with the D&L Canal.Fat Biking and health-100_3278.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3279.jpg
    Bridge to Stockton, NJ and time for lunch.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3282.jpg
    Lunch spot. There are many benches dedicated in memory to a person murdered in the 9-11 attacks in NY. Bucks County, PA was home to thousands of offices workers inside the World Trade Center Twin Towers and these little plaques are nice, peaceful reminders that we must never, ever forget.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3280.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3281.jpg
    Where I stand on miles pedaled and battery power expended....

mtbr member
    Nice report Mike, I gotta get back up that way. Was the canal under 95 where they are building the new bridge ok?

I got in a quick 11+ today on the cross trail. 11.13 miles, in 57:23 @ a 11.6 avg speed.
    Felt good and strong on the 2 bridges and on slope up to Mill Creek Rd.

Part 4 Wed Ride Report

Fat Biking and health-100_3284.jpg
    Pedal onward, northbound D&L Canal
    Fat Biking and health-100_3285.jpg
    Lumberville, PA and the Bulls Island (NJ) pedestrian bridge with Old Glory in the breeze. She flies 12 months of the year. Bridge designed and built by John A Roebling, the greatest bridge builder/engineer the world has ever known.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3287.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3288.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3289.jpg
    Lumberville, PA and lock chamber
    Fat Biking and health-100_3290.jpg
    Don't worry, it'll get even more dirty!
    Fat Biking and health-100_3295.jpg
    I think this is another aqueduct, this one at Pt Pleasant, PA
    Fat Biking and health-100_3296.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3297.jpg
    Glorious solitude and monotony never was better. Northbound, D&L Canal
    Fat Biking and health-100_3298.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thank you, Mike. And to you too: that looks like quite a ride!

---
    It's been darn warm in the afternoon so I decided to turn the tables on the weather and ride to breakfast with my buds in Mountain View this morning. It's not a very exotic ride ... pretty much a straight shot up the road alongside the train tracks and then back again ... but it's uphill getting there and downhill coming home which adds some spice. Morning commute traffic is still light at 6:15 am so I'm fresh, the air is cool, and the road is mine! Well, close enough...

Oh yes: note on the new chain. In the back of my mind, although I didn't hear the ticking I heard before it was changed, something was niggling at me when I was sitting and looking at the bike in the evening. And then I spied what had attracted my attention: a little white, stiff, snappy bit of plastic ... like from a bottle cap retainer ... was hiding deep in the cassette. I pulled it out. Perhaps that's what was making the Tick-Tick-Tick sound. I don't know. However, I noticed that the cassette sprockets, while oily, felt a little gritty. Hmm. Can't have that: I spread some of my oil rags on the floor and doused a rag with some WD-40 to see it the grit came off. Of course it did. I polished off all the sprockets until they were dry and free of any grit or old lube.

Then I pulled out my favorite chain lube, from motorcycle chain drive days. It's Dupont Wax Chain Lube with teflon and other exotic chemistry in it. I remember on my Ducati 907ie that it raised the lifespan of my chain from 8000 miles to 21,000 miles. I cupped another rag around the chain and gently sprayed a steady bead of it while I turned the chain through two full revolutions to get the whole chain. Then I asked my partner to hold up the back of the bike while I cranked the pedals and cycled the chain through all the sprockets from middle to bottom gear, back up to top gear, and back to middle. And then I let it sit and let the lube set up overnight.

The difference this morning was immediately noticeable. No tick-tick-tick sound at all. The chain is now dead quiet, and gear shifts happen with that beautiful instantaneous precision again, quietly ... snick-snick, snick snick. I think it's even better than it was when we first put this drive together.

So the ride up and back from breakfast ran with the bike purring along smooth and silent, shifting with that perfect machine sound of "everything is just right now." When I looked at my Garmin data, there's obviously been a change because my average speed on any similar run for the past few months has been 10.5 to 11.2 mph ... Today I clocked 12.8 both ways! And I found myself pedaling at the next level up, either one gear up at 72-75 rpm, or one gear down at 81-84 rpm.

Again, I never cease to be impressed by just how tiny a change makes such a huge difference in these machines.

I arrived home in practically record time and had a little fun with the kids across the hall. They had made notes for me and my partner about their upcoming trip to see the grand folks in North Carolina, one of which was truly amusing and funny. It's from the littlest one and says in big block letters: "All birthdays should be on the SAME DAY! It's only fair! Especially the animals!" with pictures of cats and dogs and lions and bears all over the page. I laughed so hard, he was so earnest about it. A great kid: I love his creativity. His mom and dad were chuckling as he explained this concept to me ... particularly (imagine the scene) because I'm stripped down to my goofy looking baggy boxer shorts (pink with big red pursed lips all over them) and a red tee shirt that says "Coffee Now Or Die Asleep!" on it, trying to cool off after the ride. (I thought the knock on the door was simply the UPS guy leaving a package and dashing off, not that two young boys and their parents were going to be there to admire my couture ...! ) Peter didn't notice anything, he was intent on the birthdays, but Luke is looking abashed and saying, "you should take a shower! Under Shorts don't help!" The parents are dying. I love these folks. They know I'm just another one of the kids...

After that scene, I knew I couldn't just stay home so I geared up again and went out for another ride. Not a long one: I wiggled around a few of the local streets, wandered into the Children's Park a couple of miles over and giggled as I ran the bike through the moto-x mounds the 12 year olds bash around on (again the FCC surprises me with its agility on this kind of stuff, despite the long wheelbase and my big lumpkin body on it), and then to the local restaurant for lunch. Home again after lunch, clocking up another 5 plus miles and some, for a day's total around 22 miles.

Shower, a big cold water, and my day was complete. Oh yeah: I called the store in SF and bought that camera I went to look at the other day. I'll head up there again tomorrow to pick it up.

Life is Good.

onwards,
    G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mike, Aisan and Sarge never have set me to economy mode!

Great ride for ya. Keep on it, the pix are great to see.
    Doctor recommended...

Part 5 Wed Ride Report

Fat Biking and health-100_3300.jpg
    This little baby was drinking water from the canal when I scared it into running off into the fields off of the canal. There, it just stood and watched me. Did not see Mom around. Cutest little thing!
    Fat Biking and health-100_3301.jpg
    Covered bridge at Uhlerstown, PA. Funny thing, the original plan was to cross into NJ by using the Uhlerstown/Frenchtown bridge. But not thinking too sharp had me thinking a more direct exit from this canal was just "up head". Well, it wasn't and turned a long ride into something even longer.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3302.jpg
    So pedaled on I did.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3303.jpg
    And done did some more.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3308.jpg
    Until Seinfeld might say, "and yada, yada, yada, some 7 or 8 miles later I left the D&L Canal north of where I originally wanted to go. Here I am at the bridge to Milford, NJ, where I will do some yada yada yada asphalt riding in town and out of town to hook up with the D&R (NJ) Canal and head southbound.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3315.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3317.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3316.jpg
    Outside of Milford, NJ at the head of the D&R Canal State Park towpath. I had the last of my Arizona Green Tea. In the bag tired, I figured that tea will last me until I get closer to home. A big LOL to that.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3318.jpg
    Southbound, D&R Canal

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Mike, Aisan and Sarge never have set me to economy mode!

Great ride for ya. Keep on it, the pix are great to see.
    You got it, buddy!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Glad ya had the time to take in such a great ride, Mike. Even if ya do cheat!

Aisan received a delivery today. FedUp brought a small parcel addressed to him that contained a new shock. Longer travel to bring the rear travel to 140mm. Changing the shock for the longer one took a couple minutes. Now it's time to ride a flow trail and see how this will change the attitude of Aisan on the trails at speed and send a few obstacles to further discover the performance.
    Doctor recommended...

Part...I forget what part. Wed Ride Report

Fat Biking and health-100_3309.jpg
    Center span, Milford Bridge, Delaware River, looking upstream and to the north. A really refreshing cool breeze was blowing down the river today and it felt great.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3319.jpg
    Self portrait at 11 mph. Lucky I didn't drop and run over the camera!
    Fat Biking and health-100_3320.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3321.jpg
    As I'm pedaling south, here comes a doe in full stride, coming towards me. So I stop to get out the camera and she stops and contemplates what to do, cause a couple walking their dog is the reason she tried bolting to the north.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3322.jpg
    So she made the wise decision to just walk off into the nearby fields off the canal towpath. One note: there is no "canal" from Milford to Bulls Island. In effect, I am pedaling on the old Belvedere Railroad grade. And let me tell you, the 10 mile stretch from Frenchtown to Lambertville, while though I am descending the northern hills and mountains of Hunterdon County, NJ to tide water at Trenton, I can tell you by looking ahead that I am actually pedaling up the grade of this old rail line.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3323.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3324.jpg
    Prallsville Mill, Stockton, NJ. The railbed crosses this creek which empties in the Delaware here. The 10 mile grade from Frenchtown to Lambertville is over.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3326.jpg
    Lambertville, NJ, D&R Canal towpath. Lambertville bridges New Hope, PA on the other side of the river. Artsy fartsy hipster sister towns. Me, I'm jest passing thru.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3327.jpg
    D&R Canal, Lambertville, NJ. And a quite discernible pitch of the grade, dropping south, which is a relief to me. That Frenchtown to Stockton 10 mile run was a party pooper and not fun. No coasting whatsoever.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3328.jpg
    Ex-Belvedere railroad (Pennsylvania Railroad spur line) over the canal and it looks ready to collapse into the canal. This spur went from the mainline to a nearby rock quarry along NJ Route 29.

This should wrap it up....Wed Ride Report

Fat Biking and health-100_3329.jpg
    Ride the D&R feeder canal towpath here and it's an exercise of traveling over the old canal and railroad line, which means going from town to town. From Milford to Frenchtown. Frenchtown to Stockton. Stockton to Lambertvile. Lambertville to Titusville and finally for this ride, Titusville to Washington Crossing, NJ where I will walk the bike over this bridge, to the quaint little town of Washington Crossing, PA.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3331.jpg
    Center span, Washington Crossing bridge, looking downstream where 10 miles away is Trenton, NJ.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3332.jpg
    Couple things about this ride: never underestimate how much fluids you need to take in. Especially if you are like me and take diuretics to control this and that. My idea of getting some cold drinks some miles closer to home was faulty thinking at best. Lucky for me, a little store in Washington Crossing had nice, ice cold Arizona Green Tea's on tap. I promptly pedaled over to the D&L Canal, sat down and downed 2 in record time.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3333.jpg
    Southbound, D&L Canal at Yardley PA with the CSX train bridge overhead.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3334.jpg
    Southbound, Morrisville PA levee. I simply don't like this stretch of riding into Trenton and I'll leave it at that. Looks like low tide...
    Fat Biking and health-100_3335.jpg
    The good ole Lock 1, D&R canal and about 7.5 miles more to go....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3336.jpg
    Crosswicks Creek train bridge. A car show was going on at the yacht club. Older folks, sitting around their Camaro's Mustangs and Vettes. A small gathering in a very nice little spot, actually. If those people only knew what I accomplished and saw in my day!
    Fat Biking and health-100_3337.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3338.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3339.jpg
    Homebase, mission accomplished. Final notes: knowing I had some severe climbs in the Crosswicks Creek Basin, the Blacks Creek Basin, the climb up Route 130 north and the final climb at the Crafts Creek Basin, I went to pedaling in Eco to +Eco (a drop below Eco in power output) including shutting off all power to make the climb out of Crosswicks. I think it played out to my advantage; 1 mile pedal in Eco, the next mile in +Eco, and this played out all the way from Milford, NJ. I just did not want to risk draining the battery out and forcing me to pedal a near 60 lb bike.

The two Eco levels in this Yamaha drive system are minor steps up from what a normal fatbike would feel like. I credit those 20 mile daily runs I did in helping me to gain the conditioning to pedal this distance. And pedal I did, this was no free ride at all. Thinking if I had to do this 2-3-4 times consecutive gives me the chills though. Between my meds and my age (60), I simply can't do what I did at 20 or 30. So.....we compensate.

thanks for coming along for the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    Nice report Mike, I gotta get back up that way. Was the canal under 95 where they are building the new bridge ok?

I got in a quick 11+ today on the cross trail. 11.13 miles, in 57:23 @ a 11.6 avg speed.
    Felt good and strong on the 2 bridges and on slope up to Mill Creek Rd.
    Thanks, Chief! All clear at the Scudders Falls construction. And fwiw, even on the opposite side in NJ is clear for those adventurous enough to want to take the D&R south into Trenton.

G: I'll have to look into that stuff you used on your chain. I've been using Boeshield T9 for the past several years and really can't complain about it. It too is to be applied and wiped later after it dries.

You've gone through several chains with your two bikes combined and here I am pushing 5k miles on this bike on it's original chain. And it's got me wondering how much it's been stretched. So maybe one of those link measuring tools should be on my to-do list along with a new chain.

One day last year, I had the dumb idea of pedaling a veeerrry steep climb at the Bordentown boat ramp up to Park Street. So I shifted into High gear on the back sprocket , set the power to High and literally stood on the pedals, yanking on the Cane Creek bar ends for leverage. I think something let go in the cassette/hub area cause it immediately skipped a bunch of teeth and made a bad internal noise. As long as I don't power hard in high gear, you'd never know, but it's there.

Glad ya had the time to take in such a great ride, Mike. Even if ya do cheat!

Aisan received a delivery today. FedUp brought a small parcel addressed to him that contained a new shock. Longer travel to bring the rear travel to 140mm. Changing the shock for the longer one took a couple minutes. Now it's time to ride a flow trail and see how this will change the attitude of Aisan on the trails at speed and send a few obstacles to further discover the performance.
    Wade, that sounds like a nice, comfy addition to your bike. Post some pics when you get it on.

It looks to me that there has been some significant advances in shock stroke-length over the past few years, making the 120mm travel of this Haibike seem quaint and outdated.

The difference between the front/rear shocked Haibike and my Fatboy are night and day as far as ride quality goes. I recall doing an 80 mile day, documented here in this thread and I was like the walking dead after I got off the saddle of that fatty. Shocks do make a big difference, either if you are bombing on the trails like you might or the long mileage rides that I may do. At the end of the day, I feel a lot better now on this bike then I ever did on the hard tailed fatboy.

And what a difference between my Trek 9000 dual suspension mountain bike and this Haibike, how far things have come since 1991.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    G: I'll have to look into that stuff you used on your chain. I've been using Boeshield T9 for the past several years and really can't complain about it. It too is to be applied and wiped later after it dries.

You've gone through several chains with your two bikes combined and here I am pushing 5k miles on this bike on it's original chain. And it's got me wondering how much it's been stretched. So maybe one of those link measuring tools should be on my to-do list along with a new chain.

One day last year, I had the dumb idea of pedaling a veeerrry steep climb at the Bordentown boat ramp up to Park Street. So I shifted into High gear on the back sprocket , set the power to High and literally stood on the pedals, yanking on the Cane Creek bar ends for leverage. I think something let go in the cassette/hub area cause it immediately skipped a bunch of teeth and made a bad internal noise. As long as I don't power hard in high gear, you'd never know, but it's there.
    The Dupont "Chain Saver-Wax Based Chain Lube" is the best stuff I have found for lubing chains. It goes on thin and gets nearly dry to the touch when it sets up. It's very slick!

On wearing out chains ...

Remember: I'm a big guy, just under six foot in my birthday suit. Not as fat as I was when I started this program, 60 some pounds less on the scale, but I have built up leg muscle very very fast such that my doctor feels I've gained 18 to 20 lbs of muscle mass, mostly in my legs. My weight is still floating between 255 and 260 lbs, and while I laugh at my still-lard belly, most of it is just the loose skin and residual fat that takes a long long time to burn off and shrink. I was never small. Another 35-40 pounds and I'll be at my just-post-college weight ... when everyone thought I was "too thin!"

I ride hard and push my bikes to my limits quite a lot, on the street mostly where there's lots of traction. That's a lot of weight and muscle power when I slam down a pedal (last physical therapy session, I was able to repeatedly press nearly 750+ lbs in dead weight with my legs). My tires are street oriented and have a lot of rubber on the road. Sumo takes it even harder because the electrics are amplifying my effort.

All this means that I'm resigned to wearing out chains because I abuse them so much with my weight and use. I'm getting 700-1000 miles per chain before they've 'stretched' out of spec. They don't look worn out, but measures don't lie. I'd rather replace a chain frequently than have to spend the bux for front sprockets and cassettes too frequently...

... post thought ...

Some perspective came into play this morning as I re-read the above: Replacing the FCC's chain with the best of the three chains available, parts and labor included, cost me $59.00 for about 945 miles of use over about three months. That's about the same as a single tank of gasoline for my car, which nets me about 290 miles use and is gone in about two weeks time, on average. In cost per month, the chain replacement is cheap and the fuel is expensive; in cost per mile, the chain is cheaper still. In use per time, the car carries me farther and faster than I can ever achieve with a bicycle alone...

No point to be made, really, except that I don't find the costs of replacing a chain when it measures as worn out particularly difficult to bear. I do like thinking about this stuff from the several perspectives!
    Last edited by ramarren; 1 Week Ago at 07:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Mike, thanks for taking along on the ride. That's a LONG one. The red dust looks oh so familiar........ everyday, every canal ride. I've never ridden on the river levee in Morrisville, I'm usually on the canal. I do get on it down near the Burlington Bristol bridge where residents keep it cut and have seats up on it.

G, seems we have the same type body. I'm working on the stomach but man it doesn't come off like it used to. I will be looking for the chain wax, especially if it helps things along.

Good ride yesterday. I got out after noon. The day wasn't as hot as they said. The sun was warm but no humidity made it really nice. I took the Crosstrail for a ride down into Croydon. I go through the old Rohm & Haas parking area that has been abandoned. It's blocked so no cars and no traffic. Along the driveway I scared to baby deer out of the brush. They bolted right in front of me. The smaller one ran along the driveway in front of me, the other ran towards the street. I turned to watch it to see if it ran into the roadway. Thank goodness it didn't it turned and ran back into the wooded area it came out of. The smaller one turned in too. I was running and looking back at me like it wanted to be chased. They were SO small and still had the white spots on their backs. I got down into the marina and saw a fox crossing the roadway in. I stopped at a new hot dog stand a guy set up 2 weeks ago. Dirty water dog and a 1/2 a diet coke. It wasn't very good, I won't go out of my way again for that. Good ride, I felt pretty strong through the 16 miles in 1:26:06 min. 11.1 avg.

Sounds like a nice ride yesterday, Chief and you're right, summers around here are great when there is no humidty in the air. Unfortunately, those kinds of humid free days are the exception, not the rule. Appreciate the kind words, it was fun documenting the run and it will come in handy this winter when riding stops cause 28 inches of snow is falling in our area. The D&L canal can be broken into segments away from your home; with lotsa safe parking to be had. Groundhog Lock is a favorite of mine as it's just below Easton, where there is nice riding right next to the NS mainline. Contemplating a run in the Lehigh Gorge section in the coming weeks, starting at Glen Onoko or Jim Thorpe. Maybe even replicate the big run I made from Groundhog up to Lehighton and back. A ton of options to be had on the D&L....

Did the clicking on your bike get solved by the bike shop? What was the outcome?

That levee in Morrisville starts at the Trenton Makes bridge and ends a mile and change to the north at Calhoun Street Bridge (info for the non-locals familiar with our area here). The good news is that there is a Dairy Queen not far from the Trenton Makes bridge!

Took yesterday off, after cleaning 3 pounds of PA red clay dust off of the Haibike. Today will be a nice 20 miler or so using High power, just to move the legs.

mtbr member
    Yeah the clicking then ratcheting was a worn bottom bracket that has been replaced. Still some clicking but nothing like there was.
    Easy ride day today, I took the 6 Fattie out down the last piece of canal in Bristol then out to Silver Lake and the trails then home. Lots of groundhogs out, 2 blue herons, a green heron, a deer behind Lower Bucks Hospital. Felt good to not push hard. Sun is warm.

Your last paragraph made me LOL, the PA red clay.

Another easy day today, I took the 6 Fattie out with my wife. She rides now and then to offset her walking program. I have to say she's getting better. Average speed is way up from where she started. I can just cruise along now with her. That's really fun. We stopped to visit my sister and as we were talking it started to drizzle and a little rumble of thunder. We saw some lightening and got started back towards home. We were only at the other end of town. We got near home and it was raining harder and we were soaked. She went on home and I pushed on for another 5 miles out to eh lake and then home. Felt good to be out in the rain. A nice lightening shot and a loud thunder clap got me moving when I was near home.
    A nice ride in the rain.
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 6 Days Ago at 10:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Heya Chief! Sounds like a nice ride.

I always get very wary when I see deer and other animals near the path I'm riding. I had one of those fawns leap right into me when I was riding my Ducati 907ie about 24 years ago ... took me down, doubly broke four ribs, dislocated my shoulder, and destroyed the motorcycle completely. I watch them very carefully now and often just stop and wait for them to pass.

---
    I decided to take a day off the bike yesterday: Had arrangements with a friend to visit SF yet again (three times in one week is a record for me in recent years!) and went to see showings of the classic films 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and Jason and the Argonauts at the Castro Theater. It was so great to see them on the big screen again! Such amazing quality movies! Afterwards, a little refreshment at the pub and I drove most of the way home to stop in with another bunch of friends for viewing the Sachsenring MotoGP race. A fine spectacle, as always, but not as exciting as the previous race at Assen two weekends ago. I was dog-tired when I arrived home...

But a good night's rest and today I'm doing a nice run down to southeast San Jose for lunch and chit-chat with a friend there. Should be a 15-20 miler... and a good day for it with coolish temperatures through the morning and into the early afternoon, then warming up. Ah, Summer!

Onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Day off today. I had 12 in a row ( I just counted).

I spent the day at a refinery out in a valve pit getting dimensions for a pipeline I'm running. I was also getting dimensions on a pump motor I'm connecting to. MAN it was hot, sweated my ass off. I got back to work, dropped off my gear and headed home. Storms predicted for tomorrow, maybe I can get a ride in before the storms hit and then Wednesday the humidity drops out and it gets nice again. Looking forward to it.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Day off today. I had 12 in a row ( I just counted).

I spent the day at a refinery out in a valve pit getting dimensions for a pipeline I'm running. I was also getting dimensions on a pump motor I'm connecting to. MAN it was hot, sweated my ass off. I got back to work, dropped off my gear and headed home. Storms predicted for tomorrow, maybe I can get a ride in before the storms hit and then Wednesday the humidity drops out and it gets nice again. Looking forward to it.
    Chief, a rain day would be a welcome ride day! It's been plenty hot this season. With the kidney disease, I have to be careful of excessive sweating since it makes the kidneys work much harder than usual.

G, the deer population here makes excellent trails for Sarge and Aisan to enjoy.

Mike, thanks for sharing the large ride report! Excellent content, my friend.

And we have DH at a beach with no fatbike?? DH, you're doin it wrong, all wrong...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I have been traveling to Mexico for work, so I am trying to ride every day when I am home. Unfortunately it has impeded me meeting my riding targets. I told my boss I was not going to put up with it for long and he promised that it was short term, so I will suck it up for a while.

Crazy one today; my handlebar broke. I pulled up on the front to get over a small log-stack obstacle and I felt the handlebar give way a little bit. Then it snapped off. There was no dent or obvious defect. I thought about taking to the metallurgy lab at work out of curiosity.

I was pretty lucky I didn't get badly injured. Had it snapped on a down motion I would have been screwed, probably impaled. I contacted Amazon to let them know they might want to look at a recall (Unsurprisingly, they have a process to deal with that type of thing). In the meantime, don't buy Wake Cycle bars. I bought a replacement at my LBS. I don't go there often just because I travel so much, I may start using them a little more.

Fat Biking and health-file1.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-file2.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Damn, Tex! You animal...

A friends dirt bike bar did that with a jagged break. Glad you didn't get injured from that failure.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Glad you didn't get hurt by that, Tex! Could have been pretty bad... !!

---
    Had a truly nice ride today. As I predicted, I ran about 17 miles, taking the longish way down to southeast San Jose, then a shorter return path. It was warm but not hot and not humid ... just right. I've become so accustomed now to running 15+ miles that less than that seems too short a time in the saddle.

FCC is really working beautifully now too. Shifting is smooth as can be, everything about it just feels right to me.

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    Geez Tex, take it easy on that bike it didn't send you to Mexico. LOL
    Glad it wasn't on a down slope or jump that headset would have left a nice make in your chest.
    Note to self - when your moving or washing your bike check it for chips and dents.

G: Our relatively low speeds should allow for animal avoidance. Can't say that so much if anyone here is bombing a downhill bike run. But for water level style running, any kind of animal encounters are a welcome diversion. Come winter time, the lack of sound from the birds and all definitely stands out.

Chief: This humidity should be chased out with the coming storms; but that sounded like a hot day indeed, working around industrial style pipe runs and valves. Needless to say, stay safe and stay hydrated.

Wade: You're welcome. I satisfied a curiousity of mine; just how much can I get out of a single charge. The answers are in: 100 miles to 120 miles, the 120 being if the bike is pedaled in +Eco. I think a 500wh battery is in my future along the way; giving a total of 900wh and a range of near 100 miles using the upper Standard power level carrying the 2 batteries along. Figure then 13-16 mph and that is pretty darn good on fat tires. Welcome to a different kind of bicycle riding.

TexMex: Very lucky. Do you have a lot of jumps on that handlebar? Myself, I'm a terra-firma, tires on the ground kinda guy. Contemplating a handlebar break like that on some of my long downhill runs in these local creeksheds here, hitting 24 mph plus on asphalt road shoulders is contemplating a trip to the ER in Critical to very grave condition. Be safe out there. Chief has some great advice there; after every ride, do a good lookover of the entire bike. You just never know.

Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    G: Our relatively low speeds should allow for animal avoidance. Can't say that so much if anyone here is bombing a downhill bike run. ...
    I've had a couple of run-ins with kamikaze ground squirrels even going slow...

"Don't do it you little fool! Go the other way! AArrgh! ..."

---
    Very good news this morning: Last Thursday-Friday, my blood pressure monitor detected something new. My heart was showing evidence of a new arrhythmia when I did my morning blood pressure check. Hmm. So I pulled out the AliveCor ECG device* that my cardiologist recommended I use, called my doctor to inform him I needed him to monitor things for a bit, and reactivated the pro service.

After doing recordings about four-five times per day since, my cardiologist called today to tell me that there's nothing to worry about. The new state of my heart is that it's developed an early beat ... one in four ... with an early ventricular pulse. No AFIB in evidence, just a bit of a lopsided pattern that has developed: it is not threatening and doesn't require any medication or modification of my bicycling. My mom had that for 60+ years.

Have to admit that Friday night was quite scary after I felt a change like this happen. I wasn't sure I was going to wake up in the morning. We can never be sure, but usually we take it for granted...

Savor every moment. Take nothing for granted. Don't waste Time, you never get it back.

onwards!
    G

* AliveCor ECG device: This is a little two-pad device that, combined with the Kardia Mobile app on a smartphone, produces a medical grade, two-channel ECG suitable for professional analysis. It is of course not as good an ECG as a 12 channel machine at the office, but it's very handy and can be used to spot check and develop an early diagnosis before things get serious. The pro service allows you to share your readings directly with your doctor and costs $15/month.

It's definitely a lot nicer than wearing a heart monitor for two weeks and a LOT less expensive... I had AFIB a few years back, corrected by two atrial ablation procedures. This device is a huge advance in recording useful information for my doctor to keep track of my heart's condition easily and inexpensively, on an ongoing basis. Anyone who has had an episode of heart trouble should take a look at it and see if it is apropos for their medical needs. We sure aren't going to get any younger, and I would like to keep the option of getting older open.

G: That is some great cardiac info there and I am especially happy to know everything worked out on the positive side of the ledger for you. I like the way you took immediate charge; no fooling around, in notifying your cardiologist. Long may you run, buddy. Long may we all run, here!

I've been quite proactive in seeing my own cardiologist following my stent installations. Twice a year, including blood work and an ECG. Due for a 5 year stress test sometime this fall, early winter. Time flies when you maintain your vitals by any and all means, including a good exercise program (hello, fatbiking and health!), a good rapport with your doctor(s) and good adherence to any and all medications prescribed to you.

Looking out the kitchen window here and looking towards the west and PA, a storm is brewing with some deep, dark gray clouds. Static firing off on the am radio station I am listening to.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    heya Mike:

I talked with my brother in Tuckahoe, NY, a little earlier today. He said they were seeing a heckuva thunderstorm and massive downpour there.

Thanks! I feel like a heavy weight just lifted.

I was very lucky on the cardiac front. The AFIB I had was subtle and insidious, probably had it for some years. I just thought I was getting older and slowing down a little. By the time I or anyone else noticed it, the degradation of my heart's efficiency was pretty nasty: It was caught just barely before irreparable heart damage set in. I got lucky again in being referred to, and accepted for treatment, by one of the foremost cardiologists in the world when it comes to AFIB. AND he's a great guy, we have an excellent relationship.

So I've learned to monitor and watch carefully for changes. That's why I monitor blood pressure every day, and see a heart rate monitor when I ride as being more important than a speedometer.

The puzzle that I had was that my heart rate on the monitor was going up to a particular point and not going up as far as I thought it ought to, also the heart rate sensor was occasionally taking its sweet time to hook up, with a couple of restarts needed. Now I know why—the ventricular arrhythmia can make it hard to find the beat—and that it's innocuous, just a bit off kilter. My new normal... unless it changes again.

Ah, the challenges of living. There are no better alternatives. And now off for a ride.

G

mtbr member
    Fat Biking and health-img_3603.jpgI was listening to a podcast and a guy said "a good trail looks like it belongs there, it looks like it was put there by the finger of God", I thought "yeah, it really does. Amen"
    Fat Biking and health-img_3601.jpg

mtbr member
    G, nice job on getting in touch with the cardiologist and getting it taken care of right away. The trouble is when we put shit off and then it goes bad.

Nice here today, humidity dropped out. Supposed to be in the 50's tomorrow am. Ahhhhhh

Back at it this afternoon. Can't wait after watching Stage 11 of the Tour. Man, they were going hard.

mtbr member

Back from Hungary and Corfu

Wade, I was too busy swimming, wandering the shoreline looking for fish and other animals, driving the crazy narrow town streets, drinking great beer and raki.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180711_041803067.jpg

Corfu is stunning.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180712_083732488.jpg

I will return there someday. It has major significance in Greek and Roman literature, which are the subjects I teach.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180712_144258450.jpg

Probably the prettiest island I have ever visited.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180714_101834950_hdr.jpg

Now, to get re-settled into my new digs and get out on the bike this weekend!
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    DH, with the surrounding beauty to take in, a fatty would have been awesome to make many vantage points available. Thanks for sharing the pix!
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    heya Mike:

I talked with my brother in Tuckahoe, NY, a little earlier today. He said they were seeing a heckuva thunderstorm and massive downpour there.

Thanks! I feel like a heavy weight just lifted.

I was very lucky on the cardiac front. The AFIB I had was subtle and insidious, probably had it for some years. I just thought I was getting older and slowing down a little. By the time I or anyone else noticed it, the degradation of my heart's efficiency was pretty nasty: It was caught just barely before irreparable heart damage set in. I got lucky again in being referred to, and accepted for treatment, by one of the foremost cardiologists in the world when it comes to AFIB. AND he's a great guy, we have an excellent relationship.

So I've learned to monitor and watch carefully for changes. That's why I monitor blood pressure every day, and see a heart rate monitor when I ride as being more important than a speedometer.

The puzzle that I had was that my heart rate on the monitor was going up to a particular point and not going up as far as I thought it ought to, also the heart rate sensor was occasionally taking its sweet time to hook up, with a couple of restarts needed. Now I know why—the ventricular arrhythmia can make it hard to find the beat—and that it's innocuous, just a bit off kilter. My new normal... unless it changes again.

Ah, the challenges of living. There are no better alternatives. And now off for a ride.

G
    Having done a "stress test" with the use of a small, very portable unit to gather live data, I have now done it by bicycle in the real world on two occasions. Thankfully, my cardiologist has seen the Mayor and approves of the fAt! This was thought up by the cardiologist, who took the time to pen a route through town that would have moderate conditions as well as strenuous segments that gave very useful analysis that cannot be afforded with the in office test done with drug induced stress.

G, sounds like you discovered the issue before it became more difficult to deal with. Do what ya can to keep it from progressing.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    DH, that would be hard to leave. Very beautiful place

Nice shots, DH!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Having done a "stress test" with the use of a small, very portable unit to gather live data, I have now done it by bicycle in the real world on two occasions. Thankfully, my cardiologist has seen the Mayor and approves of the fAt! This was thought up by the cardiologist, who took the time to pen a route through town that would have moderate conditions as well as strenuous segments that gave very useful analysis that cannot be afforded with the in office test done with drug induced stress.

G, sounds like you discovered the issue before it became more difficult to deal with. Do what ya can to keep it from progressing.
    Thanks Banshee!

The episode of premature ventricle pulses seems to be receding. My readings are becoming more baseline normal again. It was probably a transient issue, as happens sometimes, but I'm for sure keeping an eye out for it and for what might be inciting it. My cardiologist feels there's nothing to do or get worried about, so that's fine by me.

---
    I was inadvertently up way too late last night and was a bit out of it all day as a result.

Went out on the bike and realized I wasn't concentrating enough to be safe, so headed back in and called it a rest day. I'm heading to bed in half an hour to get a full night's rest in, then off on a ride to Mountain View in the morning (19 mile round trip, about).

onwards!
    G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Thanks Banshee!

The episode of premature ventricle pulses seems to be receding. My readings are becoming more baseline normal again. It was probably a transient issue, as happens sometimes, but I'm for sure keeping an eye out for it and for what might be inciting it. My cardiologist feels there's nothing to do or get worried about, so that's fine by me.

---
    I was inadvertently up way too late last night and was a bit out of it all day as a result.

Went out on the bike and realized I wasn't concentrating enough to be safe, so headed back in and called it a rest day. I'm heading to bed in half an hour to get a full night's rest in, then off on a ride to Mountain View in the morning (19 mile round trip, about).

onwards!
    G
    Hopeful that you can find a method to keep it under control. Be vigilant, my friend.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hopeful that you can find a method to keep it under control. Be vigilant, my friend.
    This morning's reading is 100% perfect normal.

I'm off on my ride to Mountain View now! May even drag a camera along...

G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    This morning's reading is 100% perfect normal.

I'm off on my ride to Mountain View now! May even drag a camera along...
    Realized I just wanted to ride... left the camera behind. Boogied on up to Mountain View, had breakfast with my friends there, then boogied home. 12.6mph average speed for the run! 16 miles total. It was exhilarating and a lovely morning, before the heat settled in.

Now it's time to shower.

G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    ... And a rare event: I went out for a second ride today. I've been working about the house all day since I returned home. Somewhere around 4:00pm, it was getting a little claustrophobic. Needed a cup of coffee too. So I hopped on the bike and did a nice little run to downtown for coffee and a bit of pastry.

On the way back, there was a youngster riding a skateboard on the sidewalk in parallel to me for a bit. Just as a car passed, he jumped off the sidewalk onto the street and an out-of-synch noise occurred. Then I didn't see him. I reacted a little slowly, but the thought finally drilled through my skull, "He fell! I hope he's all right!" So I turned around and found him dusting himself off, rubbing his arm a bit.

"You all right?" I called out.
    "Yeah, no damage. Just missed the landing."
    "Didn't hit your head or anything? Dizzy?"
    "No, landed on my arm and back. A bit of a bruise on my arm. I'm fine."
    "Good! I heard you more than saw you go down, sorry I didn't stop as fast as I might have."
    "No problem! And thanks for coming back to check!" He hopped back on the board and zipped away. Looked steady and well balanced. I waved and gave him a bell, he waved back.

We've all got to look out for and take care of one another, ya know?

It was a good 11 miles! So today's total was up to about 28 miles ... Not a bad day!

onwards!
    G

G: That's what it's all about, looking out for each other. Well done!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Mike -- thanks for the towpath pix! My wife and I rode this route 2 years ago, starting in VA at National Airport, and finishing in Honesdale PA, camping several nights en route. The MD part of the ride was somewhat annoying and painful -- way too much traffic on roads not built for it -- but the run up the Delaware was just super. Kept going after Easton, crossing through the Water Gap before trending inland.

We crossed into PA at Frenchtown after a great lunch at a veggie restaurant:
    Fat Biking and health-img_2498.jpg

Lots of old structures that are well preserved:
    Fat Biking and health-img_2507.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_2525.jpg

Towpath gets a little skanky in places:
    Fat Biking and health-img_2522.jpg

Delaware Water Gap! After rolling into the campground well after dark with no water, not sure it was open, our longest day. Woke up to a beautiful last day!
    Fat Biking and health-img_2536.jpgFat Biking and health-img_2538.jpg

Ajax: What a great tour that must have been! One day I want to do the C&O Canal/Cumberland Gap towpath tour down there, myself. I believe I've pretty much covered the entirety of the D&L Canal, most of it documented inside this thread. I've yet to do the beginning of it on the southern end at Bristol, PA, but that in itself is a very short run under 20 miles at that.

Run into any bear sightings in the vicinity of the Delaware Water Gap to Honesdale on your trip? I understand in the past decade plus, they've become quite plentiful in the Northwest portion of NJ, in Sussex and Warren Counties....

The D&L itself is a real gem of a run and it's constantly being improved. When it's fully completed, one will be able to run from Bristol, PA all the way up to Wilkes Barre, PA. Here is the D&L website, to get on their mailing list: Delaware & Lehigh - National Heritage Corridor

Mike

mtbr member
    DH great pic's, thanks for sharing.

Wade, smart move getting the doc involved with the bike. Not easy to find a doc that will listen to you and what you wanna do. Especially getting involved with the route to add some stress that he wanted to see. Very nice. Glad to hear your doing well.

Mike, the weather is going to be iffy this week but what about Friday to show you the south end of the canal into Bristol if the weather is good.

Did a ride with my wife this morning and then headed off to some trails on my own. I did 14 yesterday and 13 today. Heading to a childhood friends going away party. Her health is failing and she is moving to her sisters in Tennessee. It will be a cry fest. We were next door neighbors for most of our young lives. It will be sad to see Caryn go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    A couple of quick ride reports: A short 7 miler yesterday, mostly to visit my podiatrist

Today, a nice 16 miler, my Saturday morning breakfast ride with a little loop down into San Jose downtown added on.

Both nice rides, just pounding pedals and enjoying myself.

G

mtbr member
    Back at it today. We had an incredible lightning show over the mountain in the wee hours of the morning, which I got up to watch. It poured for 15-20 minutes, then, after a spectacular hour of light and sound, rolled northwest from my casa.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180721_045802568%5B1%5D.jpg

Got out to the trail at about 6:30. The rain had damped out trail dust, but, with the exception of a few standing puddles, there was little indication of the storm's passage. I'm sure some trees somewhere out there remembered the lightning.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180721_064936668%5B1%5D.jpg

Having been off the bike for the better part of a month, I could feel it, but I did my usual 5 mile loop. At two separate junctures I met a VERY attractive female who was trail running. Double incentive to go out tomorrow, same time.

The bike is still a total joy. I can't imagine life without it.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180721_065729957_hdr%5B1%5D.jpg

I'll be out there again tomorrow!

Fat Biking and health-img_20180721_070322300%5B1%5D.jpg

Shit-eating grin, compliments of Diamondback.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180721_070922174%5B1%5D.jpg
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    Back at it today. We had an incredible lightning show over the mountain in the wee hours of the morning, which I got up to watch. It poured for 15-20 minutes, then, after a spectacular hour of light and sound, rolled northwest from my casa.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180721_045802568[1].jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	1209053

Got out to the trail at about 6:30. The rain had damped out trail dust, but, with the exception of a few standing puddles, there was little indication of the storm's passage. I'm sure some trees somewhere out there remembered the lightning.

Name:	IMG_20180721_064936668[1].jpg 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	1209055

Having been off the bike for the better part of a month, I could feel it, but I did my usual 5 mile loop. At two separate junctures I met a VERY attractive female who was trail running. Double incentive to go out tomorrow, same time.

The bike is still a total joy. I can't imagine life without it.

Name:	IMG_20180721_065729957_HDR[1].jpg 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	1209058

I'll be out there again tomorrow!

Name:	IMG_20180721_070322300[1].jpg 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	1209059

Shit-eating grin, compliments of Diamondback.

Name:	IMG_20180721_070922174[1].jpg 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	1209061
    Curious where those pictures were taken. I live in the NW Valley (Peoria) but don't recognize that area. I actually didn't ride today purposely. Was out on the bike (Raleigh SS) yesterday afternoon and last 15 mi. were spent going west on the canal with 10-12 mph headwind and 107 degrees when I got home. Felt pretty drained last night and this morning so thought it best to stay out of the heat today.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Lost Dutchman State Park, Mole. 😁

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011

Wade, smart move getting the doc involved with the bike. Not easy to find a doc that will listen to you and what you wanna do. Especially getting involved with the route to add some stress that he wanted to see. Very nice. Glad to hear your doing well.
    This has been an interesting method to gain data that is viable as well as valuable. With the source of stress being real world as opposed to induced with meds to make things go berserk, I see it as a more useful test routine that brings results that are worthy. I can do just fine without the meds that drive up the heart rate and blood pressure artificially. That provides bogus test results on every level.

DH, in the future, set up for a time exposure to collect multiple lightning strikes. Great pix!

Ajax, thanks for sharing those pix too!

Always love the pix we have in the thread.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Wade, really glad you seem to be taking things in stride and doing well, buddy.

I'm a super low-key picture taker, just aim the ol' cellphone and click. 😉

Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 13535960616263