Page 58 of 63 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,800 of 6230
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tex the Iceman Cometh sounds like an adventure, as does that trail you are riding. I find the tech stuff much more achievable on the fat bike, I just have more self belief that I will ride out the other side of tricky sections. Having said that I have just jinxed myself for sure

Mike looks like someone might have flipped the switch weather wise for you. Will be great to see your ride reports back up and running.

OZ.

mtbr member
    OZ, I feel that same way. I am much more at ease riding tech-y stuff on the Diamondback than I was on the 27.5 or any previous bike. I ride it more aggressively lately than I thought I would when I bought it.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    DH, One of the primary reasons I have the Mayor is for riding no differently than any other mountain bike! Add in the kind of Jeepin a fatty is capable of and you have drastically changed the equation and end result. Between +, squish+ and 4.8, the decision can be daunting as to which bike is going out my office door. The trials bike is very unusual, indeed but keeps many aspects of riding dirt sharp.

Tex, sounds like an adventure has been planned for November! Good stuff. Fat gatherings are just plain fun.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Weather yesterday was just about perfect. Just as I was about to run out the door on Sumo for a ride and lunch, a message appeared that the cycling shorts I had ordered from REI were available for pick-up. Hmm. REI is about an hour each way on the bike, I've got to meet up with folks at 5, get lunch, stop by the LBS ... Ach, I need faster transport. Hopped into the car and went over there.

I had no idea about the REI store in Saratoga. Sheesh, it's HUGE! Easily three football fields in floor space with a bicycle section that has more floor space than all four of the bike shops I usually visit combined! A huge lot of gear there. I wandered about totally agog for an hour and finally found the Customer Service desk where I could pick up my package.

Once that was in my hands, I realized that I was close to fainting from lack of food so grabbed a piece of pizza from "next door" ... which in that shopping complex is far enough away that I moved the car over there. I think I'd want a or a scooter just to go from shop to shop there.

Once done and returned to life, I head back towards home and stop by the LBS. My FCC is on the work stand and Jake looks at me a little sheepishly: "We got overwhelmed yesterday and I'm just starting on yours, sorry. I should have it ready for this evening." I laughed. "Jake, don't rush. I've got the other bike to ride. Take your time, do it right; I'll pick it up sometime tomorrow afternoon." I could see his shoulders loosen as the load came off. We high-fived and I headed home. I know they're working hard in there, no need to stress them. Although I was jonesing to have FCC ready for this morning, I know it's best to let it go and let the mechanic breathe easy.

So I get home and glance at the clock. Hm. Almost 4pm. Weather is still perfect. Sumo is all ready for a ride. I have to be ready to head out for the evening at 6ish. Plenty of time for a ride loop! I dashed off and took the long loop, using what Sumo has to offer in ground covering speed. As I rode through my usual path by the University, I noted that ALL the fraternity houses had their beer tables up and all the young college people were playing ball, young men and women in their skimpy sports best ogling each other. Ah, 'tis Spring! Cute young women and handsome young men being themselves. I waved at a couple of the guys I had met the other week, they waved and called back. I gave them a ring on the bell and sped through, smiling all the way. Love this time of year!

Down the back streets, over the train pass (boy, having Sumo's electric assist makes THAT a piece of cake!) and through the park. Then up the bypass, back under the train tracks, and down the street to the coffee shop. Three of the regulars were there, they nod as I park and exchange greetings. A cuppa, then off—again around the long way—and back home.

Not bad. 16 miles, including an ogle slowdown and a coffee stop, in an hour and ten. Just time to get the electronics recharging (lights and bike battery), clean up a little, switch to evening street clothes, and step outside to wait for my partner and a ride downtown ...

Nice day. The new bike shorts are okay, not quite what I'd expected but better than my usual old gym shorts. Getting decent cycling clothes for us larger folks is always a PITA. These are about a 6 on the scale of 10, but at least they don't flop about and catch on the seat or bunch up under my butt. Forget the padded underliner ... too bulky and uncomfortable. I'll keep looking.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    DH, One of the primary reasons I have the Mayor is for riding no differently than any other mountain bike! Add in the kind of Jeepin a fatty is capable of and you have drastically changed the equation and end result. Between +, squish+ and 4.8, the decision can be daunting as to which bike is going out my office door. The trials bike is very unusual, indeed but keeps many aspects of riding dirt sharp.

Tex, sounds like an adventure has been planned for November! Good stuff. Fat gatherings are just plain fun.
    Wade, I so understand. I think I have the quiver I need now, with the fattie, the 26" BMX and the commuter. I'm going to swap the front wheel of the fat bike to ghetto tubeless this weekend. I have more designs for the fat bike over the next year, but the BMX is just about perfect now. I ride that thing on errands and just to goof around all the time, it's so damn fun.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180414_091954579.jpg
    Last edited by DirtyHun; 04-14-2018 at 09:23 AM.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Coffee time: An admission of addiction.

After leaving law enforcement and getting back into teaching, I found myself needing a modicum of an outlet for skills I developed in the field. I will admit, I had grown used to aggression and violence over the five years I'd been involved with the sheriff's department and the court. So I took a weekend job as a bouncer at a hip-hop club. Any given night, there were 15 to 20 bouncers on duty; every night, we fought patrons, sometimes in all out brawls to get them to the front door where three off-duty deputies would make arrests. There were shootings in the parking lot, knife fights, you name it. After two years there, having become door manager, I took a job running security at my favorite Irish pub down by the university. The violence dropped off by 80% (though two of the worst fights I've ever been in were there), the fun factor (cute co-eds, much more intelligent patrons) rose by 90%, and my caffeine addiction continued.

I drink far less than I used to now, and sure love having my weekends free, but I still enjoy caffeine quite a bit. Instead of three Monsters a night, I have a few cups of coffee every morning. I was pretty surprised when I looked up how much caffeine is in a venti sized Blonde roast at Starbucks: As much as 2.5 Monsters! No wonder I love this stuff. One will do, however.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180414_075828010.jpg
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Mike take a runny the statue of Thomas Paine in Bordentown, there's a painted rock in his hand. LOL If you run by Francis Hopkinson's house there's a Thomas Jefferson birthday rock there.

Man the weather took a seriously warm turn the past 2 days. Felt good to enjoy the breeze from the ride instead of trying to bundle against it, 87 yesterday, 81 so far today. I just finished a quick 8+ mile ride around the town. Supposed to be below 50 tomorrow with rain and wind.During my ride I stopped to pick up a small oxygen cylinder, I turned it in at the Amish Market I was going by on the canal.
    Making a 12 lb prime rib this evening and having family down to enjoy it.
    I hope everyone enjoys the weekend.

mtbr member
    Discovered why I had a second flat on the fat bike. The bead broke on the tire. Probably going to order a 4.8 Jumbo Jim now.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Ah yes! It was 46°F this morning when I decided to take the motorcycle rather than the bicycle to the breakfast gather ... It's now 72° and time for a bicycle ride.

It was nice to get Racer out for a putt however! My 8 mile round trip turned into 45 miles...

G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    Discovered why I had a second flat on the fat bike. The bead broke on the tire. Probably going to order a 4.8 Jumbo Jim now.
    I had two flats in a row on Sumo's old rear tire. I'm now pretty sure that's because the tire was just worn too thin to be able to resist anything... It's been fine since I put the fresh tire on.

mtbr member
    Ah, yeah, You wear out tires over time, G. I just break stuff. Terrain's all the difference.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    FCC was ready today about 3:30. Picked it up and went on a 12 mile 'break in the pads, test, and adjust' ride. Running fine! The gearing is exactly what I'd hoped, the brakes are fab. The Shimano XT shifter and derailleur are excellent.

One minor glitch is that TRP added a lever standoff adjustment knob to the brake levers that gets in the way of where I hold my forefinger to work up shifts. I'll see if I can get and install the older setscrew instead of the new knob. Minor annoyance, definitely solvable.

This bike is so nice to ride!! :-D

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    Surly: Looks like the switch was flipped off. A 40 degree drop in temps this morning, compared to Saturday's near mid 80's heat.

Chief: I'll have to check that out. I passed Tom yesterday on my north ride.

Saturday's Ride Report:

Destination: Homebase, to Bordentown, NJ and Lock 1, D&R Canal, north to Trenton. Crossed Delaware River at Trenton Makes bridge, then northbound running on the Pennsylvania Canal, to Lower Makefield Sports Complex off Route 32, reversing direction back to Homebase

Mileage: 34.4
    Average Speed:10.2 Maximum Speed: 29.2
    Weather: Sunny, no clouds, hot, 83 degrees, breezy
    Total Odometer: 4023
    Battery Percentage Left: 56%

Notes: Summer heat. As I write this, we are back to late February weather, with rain on tap for the next 2 days.........Haibike Full FatSix..........This is where the Yamaha drive system is the best, most economical drive system: I used the ECO setting to the midway point at Lower Makefield, with a couple dips into HIGH climbing out of the Spring Creek basin near Homebase. Oh, and for a brief spell inside Trenton before the Bridge; well, just because it's Trenton. So, at the halfway point at Lower Makefield; having traveled 17.4 miles on the ECO motor setting here are some stats for the stats folks: 17.4 Miles Traveled----85% Battery Capacity Remaining----A computer estimation of 74 more miles remaining if I stay in ECO----that is Fantastic! A tad over just 1% of battery energy expended for 1 mile of travel. I don't think Bosch can touch this kind of economy. (Note to DirtyHun: ECO setting makes this bike more like any other analog bicycle, in feel or actual effort expended. There is one more setting below this: ECO+. ECO+ has the feel of the next setting, which is no power at all. In ECO+, you are basically pedaling a 60 plus pound tank, figuring the gear you bring along with you)...........Observations: the flowering trees have really benefitted from the heavy snowfall and rain we've gotten this spring; they look spectacular. On the way back to Homebase, in front of the newly built Grainger warehouse on Axe Factory Road, off the drainage retention pond they build for the facility, off the sidewalk and in the dirt was a beautiful, big, snapping turtle. Figure she was a female, prepping a nest for her eggs. A good 20 pounder, she was. On the Pennsylvania Canal at mid-day, dozens upon dozens of turtles of all sizes were out taking in the rays of the sun. Meanwhile, dozens of fishermen and women were out, trying their luck for some stocked trout within the canal..........And on a more sad note, coming back at center span on the Trenton Makes The World Takes bridge, I noted a gathering of police officers on the pedestrian walkway; their cruisers stopped on the bridge. One of the officers motioned for me to pass on through, so I walked past them. They were talking to a hispanic woman and from the little I gathered, she was contemplating suicide into the Delaware below. Here's to a wish that she has gotten the care she needs and that better days are ahead.

mtbr member
    That's quite a ride, Mike. Snapping turtles are true dinosaurs. I feel for that woman you saw. Life is a gift, but for so many, it becomes valueless. Our country's mental health care sucks, as does its sense of concern for those who struggle.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    A normal heart tries to keep beating, a normal kidney tries to keep processing water, a normal liver tries to keep processing toxins, a normal brain tries to keep living. when those things aren't happening a person has an illness. It seems like we understand so much about our other organs but the brain we are just scratching the surface. A family friend lost a son to suicide, it was terrible. I hope she finds light through that dark space she's in

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    G'Morning, Mike!

Sounds like a nice ride, the part about the poor individual contemplating suicide omitted. That's sad; I hope she's okay and being helped now.

Our weather here has shifted today too... Yesterday started at a chilly 43°F at dawn, rose steadily through the morning to peak at about 74°F in mid-afternoon. By the time I was riding at about 3:30, it was a very comfortable 71°-73° until I arrived back home around 6:30, and the wind was picking up. This morning, by contrast, started out about 51° and is forecast to be warming to a little lower than that, but with a 60% chance of rain coming in around 5:00pm with cooling air temps as well.

I'll get my ride in around lunch time...

Interesting about the STePS system. The Bosch drive on Sumo never tells me I have more than 53 miles estimated remaining on the computer, but I've ridden for up to 25 miles with the bike on ECO and only seen the RANGE readout move from 53 to 45 miles remaining. So 15% of estimated max battery range nets 25 miles, or a linearly extrapolated 165 mile range. I am sure the power consumption is not 100% linear (how can it be, when the load sensitive output of the motor is going to vary with respect to terrain and rider effort?), but I'm pretty sure I could come close to 120-140 miles on a charge if I ride Sumo in my usual fashion—switching between OFF and ECO most of the time, with an occasional jolt up to TURBO or SPORT for a steep hill. I'm fair delighted with it and its economy, just as you are with the FF6 and STePS.

What becomes interesting to me now is the difference between riding Sumo and FCC. The new 11-speed gearing on FCC is set up so that the tallest gear is now just about impossible for me to run out of range with (the 'can't pedal fast enough' point where I can only freewheel down the fastest slopes), and the shortest gear is too low for any but the steepest climbs. On normal, mostly flat with small up and down inclines in road riding, and starts/stops at lights and stop signs, I am on sprocket #6-5-4-3 (down from the tallest) most of the time, right where I should be and where the chain run is straightest. This is similar to Sumo in that I am usually in the range of #5-4-3, with power setting of OFF and ECO providing splits between them, to maintain the same cadence and effort. However, the FCC rolls more easily—on Sumo, you can feel the power consumed by the planetary step-up drive in the Bosch system when power is OFF that gives its 18T front sprocket an effective 45T chainring. I found yesterday that with the new drive in place, I could easily maintain 10-11 mph speeds on FCC with the same cadence and effort as 11-12 mph speeds on Sumo running power OFF/ECO splits the day before, and that was at the end of the day when I'd already walked about four to five miles and been standing around on a hard shop floor for an hour or two.

(I got lucky in a sense too: The 32T front chainring on FCC is probably as large a chainring as I'd want to fit on this frame, there's only about another 4-5mm clearance between the stay and the chainring. A 34T might fit, but it would be "barely" at best. Any further upgearing would be entirely up to what cassette I could fit, in practice; I'd need a 9T or 10T cog to go any taller.)

The new Slate 4T brakes on FCC are as excellent as I expected. They bedded in quickly, within the first 4-5 miles or so with a few rapid hard applications at both slow and fast speeds. They give me the same feel as the ones on Sumo do and it's great. The new reach adjuster knob is a minor issue—I've found a decent position for both the shifter and the brake levers that gets it mostly out of my way. I sent a note to TRP this morning asking if there was a way to use the older, 2mm hex key adjuster instead, but it'll be fine regardless, I suspect, with a little more riding time and rider accommodation. The feel and throw of the XT shifter is a bit different from the SLX shifter and I think that was also throwing off my perception of the ergonomics a little. Human musculature and neurology is wonderfully adaptive and small things like this disappear with a little more familiarity...

Other impressions remain the same between the two bikes: Sumo's aluminum frame and slightly more upright riding position, higher weight, and Black Floyd tires give it a more luxurious ride; FCC's lighter weight, slightly shorter wheelbase and rear stays, and lower, more close-coupled bars give it the taut ride and feel of a sportier machine. Both are extremely nice to ride. I've gotten another of the same saddle that I have on Sumo for the FCC and will probably swap over to it: it's a very comfortable saddle.

What remains to be seen is how well my cycling stamina progresses and whether I can do the same distances on FCC that I can do on Sumo. As my legs get stronger and the rest of my body improves, I suspect that it will become a toss up at some point. All to the good!

G

mtbr member
    Took the beast out to Cloudview trailhead today. Awesome weather, awesome trails (other than a bit of cholla).

Did Cougar Trail first:
    Fat Biking and health-img_20180415_105030551.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_20180415_105826456.jpg

Then did Lost Gold:
    Fat Biking and health-img_20180415_112420183.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_20180415_111654354.jpg

Trail is mostly flowy ST with fist to head size rock strewn tech sections, a few washes. Riding up Lost Gold was a really fun, slightly techy climb. On the way through the parking lot, a guy stopped me to talk about the fat bike. He's ordering a LaMere this summer. Really fun convo about why fat is more fun.

To quote Ahnode: "A'll be bahk."
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    A Laugh: The coolest part of all the upgrade work is this Ion bicycle bell that the bike shop just recently got in stock. I’d seen them on line and thought it a nice design; one look*at it in person and it was worth the $16 extravagance.

Ring my chime, baby!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/gdgphoto/n92551

mtbr member
    Forgot to mention the guy I met on Cougar coming back. He was riding really well with two below-the-knee prosthetics. Totally inspiring!

Guys, well said. I too hope that she got help; at least, that first step on the journey back.

Buried back in these archives is a ride report I did in May, 2015. I was riding the Fatboy, starting out either at Easton or Ground Hog Lock on the Delaware, then the Lehigh Canal towpaths. My stop point was Allentown, Pennsylvania, at Canal Park. It was a perfect Sunday afternoon, so I set up my little ultralight chair not far from the railroad line that enters the Norfolk Southern Allentown freight yard. To my left by a few dozen yards was the train bridge over the Lehigh River, that freight line bringing in traffic to and from the west. Though the day was relatively warm, in the upper 60's or so, the river water was still running cold, clear and fast.

So I'm sitting in my chair, drinking my drink, eating my sandwich when I hear a lot of sirens across the river, towards Allentown proper. I thought, must be a fire or an accident. A lot of sirens going off, getting somewhat closer to the river. Must be a big one.... Then an Allentown police car comes speeding into the canal park parking lot. The officer shouts out to a fisherman down on the banks of the Lehigh to be on the lookout for a child in the water. Then he goes tearing out, followed by another officer who comes up on foot and goes out on the train bridge, looking out on the river to the north. I walk out on the bridge, to look too, when he focuses in on an object floating near the shoreline, snagged near some trees. He sprints off the bridge, down to the riverbank, jumps in and pulls out the child. It all happened in not more than a few minutes, from spotting the child to the child being taken away.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2067.jpg
    This is the train bridge over the Lehigh River where the officer spotted the baby in the water; taken in the autumn, 2 years ago.
    Police: Allentown mom throws baby off bridge, jumps herself - The Morning Call
    This is the Allentown Morning Call story of the tragedy...
    Allentown mom who 'lost hope' admits killing baby by throwing him into river - The Morning Call
    And this is the aftermath and the sentencing for the mother who tossed her 20 month old child into those cold river waters.....

Today's Photo Journal - The Morning Call

(Note: to retrieve picture, hit on the up/down slanted arrows to expand it)

It was only a little more than 2 weeks before that tragedy, that I was coming up on the Canal Park for my rest stop/train spotting and a light lunch, when a photographer from the same newspaper; the Morning Call, was snapping photos of people enjoying the day on the towpaths. Having never seen a fat tired bike before, he stopped me and struck up a conversation & took my picture of me on the bike.

So that's how it goes. On one trip you're getting your face planted in a newspaper. The next trip you find yourself on the fringes of an unthinkable tragedy enveloping in front of you. So I kinda had that back drop in my mind as I passed the officers and that young woman on the walkway, centerspan, of the Trenton Makes bridge, yesterday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, great to see you are all getting out from under your winter blankets. Sad to here about the young lady Mike, I too hope she received the care and help that she needed and the Mom in your second story too.

On to brighter things, that looks like another great ride DH. I had a look around on Google maps and there seems to be plenty of riding out in those hills.

G and Mike you guys are milage masters on the E bikes, the only e bike demo I have had I killed the battery in 35kms was a fun ride though I will give it another season or two before I jump on board an E bike.

No riding for me in the last three days, had my eldest sons University Graduation on Friday and seating issues over the weekend. Did a few laps of my street setting up the new Ergon GC1 grips on my Jones bars. Like most things Ergon works as advertised. Dropped that bike into my LBS this afternoon for a full service. Its my commuter and deserves the love. Just pulled my spare bike from the rack pumped the tyres changed the grips and its good to go for the week.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hey OZ!

Congratulations on your son's graduation! That's great to hear!

The Ergon GC1 grips are just great. I've had them on Sumo since I brought it home a year ago and like them so much they were the first thing I put onto FCC. This time I bought the ones with the BioKork covering: It feels really really nice!

For me, a busy not-busy day on Sunday. I fitted one of the comfortable Sportour Garda GelFlow saddles like I've had on Sumo to FCC and did some final trim adjustments to the new handlebar controls. Then went off on a 16 mile ride.

Dang, that bike works well now! All the upgrades are in and properly tuned. It has the right gearing range, the new Shimano XT shifter and derailleur work brilliantly, and the Slate 4T brakes are fantastic. The seat is ultra comfortable, and the new bell rings sweetly. Absolutely delighted with the whole bicycle ...

Here I am about midway through the ride on Guadalupe River Trail, on the section under the various highway overpasses right near Adobe headquarters in downtown San Jose:

And yes: I do think the photo is pretty funny.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Ramarran is spotted riding the concrete jungle on the mighty steed!

On my front: It was so nice to have open trails to ride last week. I wrapped up the week Saturday with a ride on my home trails. They had just opened but the forecast was calling for a bunch of rain. So I got up early to beat the weather. Fat Biking and health-img_3215.jpg. Of course it was myself and almost every other mountain biker in the Columbus area. The word got out that trails were open and would need to close again after the downpour that was forecasted. The one thing good about directional trails is that even if it is busy, you really don't run across many people. I was passed by a group of guys and passed a group of guys. That was it. Yet there were 20 cars in the lot.

On my last trail of the day there is a section that forces you to ride on the gravel shoulder of a causeway. I was riding along and a section of the gravel embankment gave out under my front wheel. I was riding too close to the edge. I went down hard, especially on the heel of my right hand. At first I thought it was broken. Now that the swelling has gone down and the pressure is off of that nerve I am sure it is just bruised. My wife is a nurse so she checked it out too Fat Biking and health-img_3214.jpg. I just thought to myself "that figures, the day after I decided to sign up for a race I break myself so I can't train". But today it is good. If there are any open trails in Northern Indiana I will hit them tonight. I want to have fun at the Iceman. I am 100% sure I can finish, but I'd like to finish with enough energy to enjoy the festival afterwards.

To Quote ramarran "onwards"!

mtbr member
    I ordered a JJ in 4.8. Meantime, I'm running the Chao Yang that came with the bike. Amazing how much it wants to wash out in corners even compared to the Snow Shoe.

OZ, the trails out here are endless. Several are upwards of 50 miles long, though the longest rides I do off road tend to be around 10 miles.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Surly: Congrats on your Son's graduation. Well done!

G: Great to see you are getting the new bike dialed in!

DH: Nice shots there; from this Easterner's perspective. Here, everything is closed in around you. Get down to the New Jersey shoreline and only then when you look out to sea will you get the perspective a mid-westerner or western person would see with the endless horizon.

mtbr member
    Mike, yeah, I think I get you there. My girlfriend is from New Hampshire. She still misses it terribly. When she describes the terrain (she's always been adventurous, and ran cross country back east, too), I imagine it being much like some of the pics you post. I want to ride there, too. It's beautiful (especially when the weather is cooperating, eh?).

OZ, yeah-congrats to your son!!!
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Tex: That's some nasty bruising there. To do that to your palm meant a lot of force got pounded into that area. Heal up quick and watch that loose gravel.

DH: Geography back East is a funny thing. To pedal where I go, you'd think the entire region is one water level ride of bliss. But the truth is you don't have to go very far before these old mountain ranges take influence in an area. Not far off of these canal towpaths are some short but very steep runs, especially on the PA side of the river, which is closer to the Allegheny Mountain range. In my homestate, we are pretty much water level from the Delaware River, 60 miles across the state east, to the Atlantic Ocean. But go some 25 miles to the north, and you get into hilly country much like what PA offers.

When I think of New Hampshire, I think of the short coastal water level route I used to drive on I-95 to get up to an old duty unit in Maine. That and to the west, those White Mountains; home to Mt Washington and the highest wind speed ever recorded.

Being a creature of habit and geography, I like my water level journey's, minus the inner city riding to get to some favorite spots. So when the hills get to be hilly and all, I get out of my element. You won't find me "bombing" down a mountain side!

mtbr member
    I get you, Mike. I cut my mountain biking teeth in Arizona, so it is what I know when it comes to riding. I still commute once a week, and my BMX bike only sees gravel and mild trails when I'm not tooling around on the street, but the fat bike sees me bombing trails with aplomb.

Hey, have we heard from PhD Pepper recently?
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

No sign of Doctor Pepper checking in, Old Bear should be out of hibernation by now...quite a few others as well. Wondering how Cold Trigger Finger Glen is doing up in Alaska with his fatty; been a very long time since he's checked in. So too, RobertDavid.

mtbr member
    Been missing Banshee's presence here, too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    G: Great to see you are getting the new bike dialed in!
    Thanks!

I've officially declared FCC "dialed in" now!

There's really nothing more to do other than ride it.
    So, of course, it had to rain here today.

usw,
    G

"... for the gods are malicious, mischievous, and swift to thwart."
    – Fritz Leiber, "Tales of Lankhmar"

mtbr member
    Winter is hanging on in Northern IndianaFat Biking and health-img_3221.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    Winter is hanging on in Northern IndianaClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3221.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	1193348
    Man, that is such a trip. Vive la difference!

Fat Biking and health-img_20180415_111654354.jpg
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, well thats two days not riding to work and it still feels weird. Having the option of a car is tempting when you have very early starts and the weather man is spot on with his forecast of rain showers. Will check the radar tomorrow and take the bike. My son has a new job in Sydney and with the hours he works and where he is living he has no need for his car. And its so tempting sitting in the driveway, still I will be able to throw a bike in the back on the weekend and hits some trails further away from home. The spare bike needs to be ridden to work, maybe

G bike looks great, shirt much better

Tex thats some bruising you have, seems like it did not keep you off the trails for long. Nor did the weather stay warm either, hope thats the last of the white wet stuff.

DH those hills look like they could draw you in for an epic all day ride, not in mid summer I suppose.

OZ.

mtbr member
    OZ, definitely not during the summer.

Yesterday's coffee run:

Fat Biking and health-img_20180416_075455991_hdr.jpg

Ran into this fun little fellow yesterday, too. Beep-beep.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180416_161539077_hdr.jpg
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Cool, so that is a! RoadRunner, in real life! Nice! Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour was must see tv on Saturday morning, back in the 60's. Still some of the best comedic writing ever; the genius Wile E investing all of those dollars on Acme products to get a skinny little bird when those dollars could have had him basking in Omaha Steaks for life.

I could now see the cues that made up the cartoon roadrunner there in that long tail, long neck and general profile.

Because of the cartoon, this kid idolized the Plymouth Road Runner. And because of that I guess, Richard Petty was my favorite race car driver; driving both the RoadRunner and RoadRunner Superbird......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGfoTY7sxFw
    "That thing got a Hemi in it?" Oh yeah, she's got a Hemi!

mtbr member
    Cool, so that is a! RoadRunner, in real life! Nice! Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour was must see tv on Saturday morning, back in the 60's. Still some of the best comedic writing ever; the genius Wile E investing all of those dollars on Acme products to get a skinny little bird when those dollars could have had him basking in Omaha Steaks for life.

I could now see the cues that made up the cartoon roadrunner there in that long tail, long neck and general profile.

Because of the cartoon, this kid idolized the Plymouth Road Runner. And because of that I guess, Richard Petty was my favorite race car driver; driving both the RoadRunner and RoadRunner Superbird......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGfoTY7sxFw
    "That thing got a Hemi in it?" Oh yeah, she's got a Hemi!
    Holy crap, is that Superbird amazing. Gods, that takes me back to car shows with my dad. I remember my dad's boss starting up his 917. Pure aural joy to a motorhead.

As for Bugs Bunny, et al., I STILL love 'em!

Another shot of the roadrunner, right when I spotted him:

Fat Biking and health-img_20180416_161522679_hdr.jpg
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Ah, RoadRunners and SuperBirds! I remember them very well. Saw my first real road runner bird when I visited my uncle in Albuquerque somewhere around 1979; 'til then, it was all Saturday morning cartoons and National Geographic magazine ... Or the Plymouths.

Always loved that spoiler on the SuperBird. You know it was a cheater, right? It wasn't designed to help the car go faster or get more traction... It was designed to break up the slip stream so following cars found it harder to get a tow. Pretty clever!

Yesterday around here, the rain gods decided that it was time to start February over again. A cold day of fitful rain showers, blustery wind, and little moments of sunshine peeking in between. No ride... every time I opened the door to go outside, the sky opened up and threw more water down at me. Seems they've relented now: today should get up to near 70°, no rain, with a warming trend through the weekend. I'll ride every day I can; I'm off to Houston this Friday to Sunday for my second cousin's wedding.

Okay Sun: get your butt into the sky and warm things up to 55°. I'll be out there!

G

So, so cool to see that bird in real life. Many thanks for sharing, DH.

I lied. The King, Richard Petty took a close second to Mark Donohue. I wanted to put that in, cause Mark and Roger Penske took the Porsche 917, developed the hell out of it and made it the King of Can Am racing. I see you typed "917" and not "911" or even "914". I doubt it was a typo on your part. What a thrill that must have been to been around when one of those flat twelve cylinder beasts came to life! There are quite a few videos of that procedure out on youtube and even through headphones, the car sounds downright menacing and dangerous. The speeds those things attained made them dangerous, at that! And it's about as close as I'll ever come to seeing one in real life, is via those videos. And the book or two I have on the subject car.

They might make faster race cars today; but nothing today matches the brute force and aura that a Hemi Nascar racer, dragster, funny car, pro-stocker or a Porsche 917 had in their time. I'll take that 60's/early 70's iron over anything running today!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrt16vr9eVk
    Donohue/Penske Porsche 917 Can Am....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yByWvDaYHnY
    Donohue/Penske 917 Start Up!

Well, it rained biiiig time here yesterday and now the temperatures are going to be 25-30 degrees cooler than Saturday for the rest of the week; reflective in the colder weather TexMex experienced in Indiana with his trail pics. Today is my 6 month cardologist visit, so with hopes of rain free weather, it'd be nice to start building up a ride routine again.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    A question for Garmin Edge 25 users:

I like having the cadence information when I'm riding. I have both cadence and speed sensors on FCC which nets me a display of elapsed time, speed, and cadence. Since Sumo has speed built in, and the GPS derived speed is good enough, I'd like to have a display for elapsed time and cadence for when I use the Edge 25 on Sumo.

Can I fit a second cadence sensor to Sumo and then have the Edge 25 connect with that one once I'm out on the bike? And then be able to swap back to FCC without having to delete and re-add the sensor?

I've hunted around on the various forums but so far it's unclear that this will work.

Thanks!
    G

mtbr member
    So, so cool to see that bird in real life. Many thanks for sharing, DH.

I lied. The King, Richard Petty took a close second to Mark Donohue. I wanted to put that in, cause Mark and Roger Penske took the Porsche 917, developed the hell out of it and made it the King of Can Am racing. I see you typed "917" and not "911" or even "914". I doubt it was a typo on your part. What a thrill that must have been to been around when one of those flat twelve cylinder beasts came to life! There are quite a few videos of that procedure out on youtube and even through headphones, the car sounds downright menacing and dangerous. The speeds those things attained made them dangerous, at that! And it's about as close as I'll ever come to seeing one in real life, is via those videos. And the book or two I have on the subject car.

They might make faster race cars today; but nothing today matches the brute force and aura that a Hemi Nascar racer, dragster, funny car, pro-stocker or a Porsche 917 had in their time. I'll take that 60's/early 70's iron over anything running today!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrt16vr9eVk
    Donohue/Penske Porsche 917 Can Am....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yByWvDaYHnY
    Donohue/Penske 917 Start Up!

Well, it rained biiiig time here yesterday and now the temperatures are going to be 25-30 degrees cooler than Saturday for the rest of the week; reflective in the colder weather TexMex experienced in Indiana with his trail pics. Today is my 6 month cardologist visit, so with hopes of rain free weather, it'd be nice to start building up a ride routine again.....
    Absolutely not an error: My father was the service manager at Stoddard Porsche in Ohio. Charles Stoddard, the owner, at one time had one of every Porsche manufactured, including a short tail 917. That car was beyond fearsome-somewhere above 1100 horsepower. I don't think many cars even today are faster. It would top 250 on a long enough straight road. In Gulf livery, it is still one of the most striking vehicles ever created. I have so many great stories of memories created by Porsches. To this day, my ultimate car (if money were no object) is still a 1974 Carrera RSR 3.0.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    A question for Garmin Edge 25 users:

I like having the cadence information when I'm riding. I have both cadence and speed sensors on FCC which nets me a display of elapsed time, speed, and cadence. Since Sumo has speed built in, and the GPS derived speed is good enough, I'd like to have a display for elapsed time and cadence for when I use the Edge 25 on Sumo.

Can I fit a second cadence sensor to Sumo and then have the Edge 25 connect with that one once I'm out on the bike? And then be able to swap back to FCC without having to delete and re-add the sensor?

I've hunted around on the various forums but so far it's unclear that this will work.

Thanks!
    G
    What would it take to simply use the same sensor on both bikes? It does not require calibration since it is only a tach. Just a thought as you would not have to relearn sensors, nor calibrate speedo...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    What would it take to simply use the same sensor on both bikes? It does not require calibration since it is only a tach. Just a thought as you would not have to relearn sensors, nor calibrate speedo...
    Well, honestly, it would be a pain in the tookus. The cadence sensor has to be fitted to the free side pedal crank. On both bikes, the outside is no good because I keep kicking it off with my shoe (wide feet). On FCC, there's only one very small spot on the inside of the crank arm where it can fit, and it has to be positioned very precisely (there's less than 4mm clearance between it and the rear stay at closest approach) ... and then there's the matter of the very strong rubber bands that retain it. They're not really designed to come on and off easily, nor to be stretched and relaxed often; doing that will wear them out fairly quickly. It takes 10-15 minutes of fussing to get the device positioned just right and the rubber bands secured; I'd rather not do it on a regular basis.

I've read that the Edge 25 can support 10 or 20 sensors in its library. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether there can be multiple sensors of the same type in the library and whether it has enough smarts in its code to activate the one that wakes up depending on which bike I take for a ride.

The cadence sensor alone is about $35 from Amazon, so I'll likely just order one and experiment with it to see if it works the way I need. If not, back it goes... Ah, the modern world.

G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Velcro comes to mind!

In the past, I have done this and used a rare earth magnet on the spindle of my pedal. Rare earth mag in the pocket at the end of the pedal spindle goes nowhere, lest ya huck your bike offa the Empire State Building! The strength of a rare earth magnet stuck to the fridge will be there for, the only way to get it offa there is to slide it to an edge, not to try to peel it off. Just thinkin in type!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    No riding since Saturday. I got out for a nice easy ride Saturday afternoon in the warmth.
    Sunday it turned nasty again here on the east coast. Monday was the same, rainy windy cold.
    I had a checkup with the surgeon that did my knee replacement. Everything with the knee was good. X-ray, little twisting and turning. He asked if I had any issues, I told him my hip has been an issue since the surgery and seemed to be getting worse. He asked if I had time for a X-ray. It showed arthritis in the hip, which I figured. He asked if I wanted to try a lil rehab on it to see if it helped. I said yeah.
    I hit the rehab facility that I went to when I rehabbed my knee. I described my issues. I can't flex my right hip enough to get my socks and shoes on. He did an evaluation. Normal hip rotation is 25 degrees, I'm at 17. He said man they're both tight. Right one is worse than the left. He stretched me out some, it helped. It felt better this morning. I did my exercises he wanted me to do. It really helps and is more lose already.
    No ride today, weather was cold and windy with some showers this evening.
    Hopefully I can get out tomorrow.
    Lots of great pictures being shared. Nice to see places people get to ride.
    Keep them coming.
    Mike, if you find any let me know.

mtbr member
    Chief, do you do this stretch? I do it every day for 60 seconds per side before getting out of bed.

Yoga Eye of the Needle Pose Yoga Sucirandhrasana Pose yoga-threading-the-needle-pose.jpg Yoga Threading The Needle Pose
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Chief: Will do! I've not been on the bike since Saturday but would like to get out in the next day or so, depending upon this cold snap and precipitation.

DH: Gulf Blue and Orange in a 917 is simply classic. Well that and the classic Sunoco Blue that Penske had on his 917/30 Can Am racer. Your Dad had a dream job in a dream era for Porsche.

Well, the 6 month Cardiologist follow up went by with passing grades all the way around. Next year will be time for another Stress Test; due every 5 years. The weather today was gray, windy and downright cold, high of 44 degrees. Freeze warning tonight with possible rain/snow mix. A near 40 degree drop in temps since Saturday. Ridiculous, but what can ya do?

mtbr member
    Mike-good to hear the results there! Sorry the weather continues to suck hind teat.

Yeah, my dad was with Porsche from 1968 through 1980, some fantastic years to be around the marque. I've had fast rides (some on tracks) in all manner of 911s, 930s, 914/6s, 928s, 944s (I autocrossed one in the early 90's for a while), etc.. I love little British cars, but my dream car will always be a Porsche.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    PS: New Porsches are nothing like the old ones. Where there used to be the necessity to know how to drive, tune and get to know the cars, now, everything is computerized, all wheel drive, torque sensors, traction control units, ABS and a billion other pieces of electronic rubbish have essentially created cars that idiots can drive without knowing a thing. A friend of my dad, who owns an independent Porsche shop won't repair cars newer than the 993. They all require million dollar, model specific computer analysis machines, and the quality level of the newer cars is not what it used to be.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    PS: New Porsches are nothing like the old ones. Where there used to be the necessity to know how to drive, tune and get to know the cars, now, everything is computerized, all wheel drive, torque sensors, traction control units, ABS and a billion other pieces of electronic rubbish have essentially created cars that idiots can drive without knowing a thing. A friend of my dad, who owns an independent Porsche shop won't repair cars newer than the 993. They all require million dollar, model specific computer analysis machines, and the quality level of the newer cars is not what it used to be.
    You summed it up well. I will always love the old Porsches but the new ones share nothing in common. Where is the “sport” in driving a car that does literally everything for you.

It’s not just Porsche, sports cars in general have jumped the shark years ago if you ask me. They’re all so bland and similar, overpowered yet boring and easy to drive. Every year they drop the 0-60 times by a tenth as if that’s supposed to make it more appealing. I couldn’t care less about any sports car made after the early 2000s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcar964 View Post
    You summed it up well. I will always love the old Porsches but the new ones share nothing in common. Where is the “sport” in driving a car that does literally everything for you.

It’s not just Porsche, sports cars in general have jumped the shark years ago if you ask me. They’re all so bland and similar, overpowered yet boring and easy to drive. Every year they drop the 0-60 times by a tenth as if that’s supposed to make it more appealing. I couldn’t care less about any sports car made after the early 2000s.
    Oh man, you are definitely one cool person! I can't stand today's overprocessored, overpowered blandmobiles.

Favorite non-Porsches:

The AC Cobra
    6 cylinder E-Type
    Sunbeam Tiger
    Split Window Vette
    Pantera
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi DH cool RoadRunner, did the inner Wile E come out in you? A little chase on Zeke and then you drop into the void that the roadRunner sails across

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G, cannot help you with cadence sensor I am not running one, still use the count the revs for 15 seconds times by 4 method

Chief my late sister was a yoga instructor and some of the stretches she showed me are gold. Stick with the rehab and summer riding will be sweet.

Mike great to hear that regular riding is keeping the doctor away. Hope summer hits you soon.

OZ.

mtbr member
    DH, I used to..... getting to the knee surgery I lost flexibility just due to lack of movement. After the knee surgery, the range of motion was limited and it's taken me a while to get back on track with it. I couldn't even cross my legs (which your not supposed to do soon after knee and hip replacement). But yes I used to do that one a lot. After 2 rehab sessions the hip has loosened up a bit. I can cross my legs a little already. The stretching my the therapist is helping.

Mike, OK, that would be great. If you do grab one get a pic I'll display it for the lady who paints and places them. She like knowing they've been found. I have a few in my yard and around my garden. Yeah our weather has been cool to say the least.

Surly, I have been to quite a few yoga classes (the wife started me and I kept going without her) and man do they help. But the knee stopped me a for a while. I'm working to get back, I still do some limited poses that I enjoy and love the stretching you get from it.

If you haven't tried it do....... it helps loosen you up SO much. Plus it's a damn tough workout. An added plus is there is always nice scenery.

Hoping to get out today.

mtbr member
    Yep, Chief, that's a yoga asana. I do a set of asanas every day. It really makes a difference!
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi DH cool RoadRunner, did the inner Wile E come out in you? A little chase on Zeke and then you drop into the void that the roadRunner sails across

OZ.
    Hah-that sounds about right, OZ!
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Whenever I hear these discussions of all the wonderful old cars and motorcycles—"The Way Things Ought To Be..." and "Things Were Better When..." in the rants of old guys—I can't help but think of a Billy Connolly documentary made about a dozen years ago or so.

Billy Connolly is a very well known Scottish comedian and actor (although not so much so in the USA) who was born and grew up in Glasgow, Scotland. He'd gotten involved in a lot of things that took him outside his native land for some years, but at some point decided to do more there and did a documentary about his growing up there. All the wonderful things that were in the neighborhoods and places of his youth, and how they've all changed and aren't as they were any more. The story closed with him reflecting on his journey back in time: "You know, it isn't so much the Glasgow of my youth that I miss so much. It's my youth that I miss more than anything else."

I will never forget that summary of his reminiscences about the Glasgow of the past. It affected me deeply then, and does to this moment when I think of it again.

There was a joy to many of the older cars and motorcycles that I played with as a young man, an innocence and a simplicity that likely was a much a matter of my innocent eyes of that time storing them into my heart and memory as the archetype of what was good and fun. But in truth, my 2006 Merc SLK is a FAR better car than ANY of the cars I drove or fantasized about back then, my new Moto Guzzi V7III Racer is the equal of any of the wonderful old motorcycles I enjoyed riding and racing for all those years. But I still love all those old clunkers dearly and hold them up as my ideal... I remember the way the sound of those UOP Shadow CanAm cars screamed and how the Porsche 917s ripped the air around my body at Watkins Glen in 1974. It was visceral and unforgettable, a life experience that can only die when I do.

This is the Reality, this is Life. We are more than just the Moment and the Thing. But there is nowhere to go but onwards—it is bad to become caught up in our memories and unwilling to see the world as it is. Change is Life ... When there is no more change, Life is gone.

My slightly upgraded and customized FCC is everything that I had hoped it would be. I rode for twenty miles plus a little bit yesterday, about two hours with just one twenty minute stop for a bite of lunch. It is so light, so comfortable, so easy to ride, so precise, handles so well, stops on a dime... I would have kept going for another hour or two if I hadn't other commitments to deal with. It is a fantastic bicycle and just what I was looking for.

I got very very lucky that it all came together Just Right given my relative newbie experience in building up bicycles...!

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    It's ok, G. We know you're a lover of modernity and comfort and that you no longer work on your own stuff, so it probably shouldn't matter to you.

There is a difference between a rant and understanding the distinction. Shall we compare Yellowtail to Domaine LeRoy? For someone who doesn't care about wine, maybe there is no actual difference. That SLK is not a car for the passionate driver, but it is a car for someone who enjoys getting places in comfort with good performance. There is a huge difference between driving that car and, say, a vintage 911. Both are German, but the latter has character, spirit-and requires an intimacy between the driver and the machine that the modern era has homogenized out. I'll take the great old vintage every day.

Philosophically, your contention that being in the present equals preferring modernity holds little water-at least for the man who creates a personalized present tense by taking an active hand in its creation.

For me and for others of my ilk, progress hasn't improved the experience in sports cars. In conveyances, perhaps-but I'll not buy any car I cannot service, nor can I enjoy driving a car with which I do not have such an intimate experience.

But sui cuiusque, with its inherently antiquated entendre doubly enjoyed.

Onwards-in the direction you choose.

Side note: Glasgow sucks compared to Edinburgh or even Inverness.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    You are not "We".

You don't know me at all, DH. You don't know what I do, how I do it, or why. And you disparage things, places, and peoples you so obviously don't understand at all.

You're ignored. Have a nice life.

G

Edepol, fautor tuus maximus sum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi G, cannot help you with cadence sensor I am not running one, still use the count the revs for 15 seconds times by 4 method
    Thanks OZ.

The second cadence sensor should be here tomorrow. I'll test it out and see if it works the way I hope, if I have time, before I leave for Texas ... Otherwise, I'll test it on Monday.

G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Ok, sp we have a little prick waving contest?? (Courtesy of the late George Carlin)

WTF, peeps?? Can ya straighten up and fly right, come on?!?!

The weather here in the high country, one thing we count on is we can't count on a damn thing in that department! Rain, snow, cold, 70, friggen rain, a hole in the sky, letting some precious sunshine beam down to warm a frozen +biker rippin the gravel Mike, you're getting your share, along with many of us in the snow belt. Alas, good weather is on the horizon as we burn through April, heading into May. With having a very mild winter with little precipitation, the Mayor has not changed his shoes from the sweet n lite JJ 4.8's to the Bud/Lou this season. Snow rides were had at 10,000' elevation with the opportunity to air down to 3-4 psi for the float and traction that only is available with a goodly amount of squish going on. There was a few opportunities to rail a hard snow packed single track with tires at 7 psi to give a lil more bite and not feel flat, railing as though it were a summer day. Those opportunities were returned to with Sarge and Aisan to get their tires in the snow and haul ass. The +bike was very interesting, indeed! Tires had to be adjusted several times to improve traction and properly decrease lap times. Once tire pressure was sorted, washouts in the curves were all but eliminated. Nobby Nic 3.0's have a very nice arrangement of little tread blocks of soft compound rubbuh that simply works very well for a beanpole of a rider. I was amazed to learn that 1/2 psi difference in a 3.0 can make or break the cornering performance of a mid fat tire. Evidently, a +bike tire is just as sensitive to pressure as a 4.8 full fat tire in snow performance!

Mike, good stuff on the cardio followup! A couple weeks ago was my 4 year followup. I had Aisan with me and the stress test was done with mobile telemetry and a fairly climb laden route that we sorted out through town. I would be set up with the telemetry, go out and give the route a pass at wide open throttle with Aisan. (I did throw in a few excellent launches to keep it interesting) When I got back to the office and disconnected from the scan tool, they downloaded the data stream and deemed everything to be in excellent working order. One helluva great method to run a stress test!! Here ya go, Doc... Live data showing what was happening at different points in a rail around town, with the stiff climbs showing up and GPS showing the location in synch with the heart rate, O2 saturation etc. Made it a memorable moment in recovery, indeed.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcar964 View Post
    I couldn’t care less about any sports car made after the early 2000s.
    I would agree except for perhaps one of these (as they were devoid of the electronic crap):

New cars are fast as all get out, but there is nothing like the guttural feel and sound of old cars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    I would agree except for perhaps one of these (as they were devoid of the electronic crap):

New cars are fast as all get out, but there is nothing like the guttural feel and sound of old cars.
    That's a new one, though. Here's the cooler, older one:

Fat Biking and health-1966_ford_gt40-pic-29448-640x480.jpeg
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Wade, you sound like a proper old sports car: Still running ferociously after overhaul.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Well, the 6 month Cardiologist follow up went by with passing grades all the way around. Next year will be time for another Stress Test; due every 5 years. ...
    Great to hear that, Mike! Keep it going!

Today's a cool, gray kind of day here. Eminently rideable weather, thankfully! I will take advantage...

G

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    You are not "We".

You don't know me at all, DH. You don't know what I do, how I do it, or why. And you disparage things, places, and peoples you so obviously don't understand at all.

You're ignored. Have a nice life.

G

Edepol, fautor tuus maximus sum.
    Was it the wine?

Omnis censor sit, sed pauci emendationem pati possunt.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    That's a new one, though. Here's the cooler, older one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1966_ford_gt40-pic-29448-640x480.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	1193657
    Agreed, the original dominated the mid 60's, but the new one is a worthy post 2000 sports car. Ford actually has a new, new one with a 675HP Ecoboost V6.

mtbr member
    Agreed, the original dominated the mid 60's, but the new one is a worthy post 2000 sports car. Ford actually has a new, new one with a 675HP Ecoboost V6.
    Yeah, they are beasts. I'll admit that I'm a bit of a sucker for the Viper Coupe as well.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011

The loco Ford dealer is doing a dealer installed supercharged 427 in pony cars. Torque is on the moon at rather low rpm with such an arrangement. Nothing like a big block in a wheel chair!!

My bicycles are not impressed with the above. Nor do they allow me to consume low octane, unleaded foods! Sarge doesn't like it when I ping!
    Doctor recommended...

Many, many heartfelt thank you's from everyone over my 6 month cardiologist visit. I really appreciate that.

Chief 500: Well, today I did my Lock 1 ride and I am sad to report that the painted rock was nowhere to be found around Mr Thomas Paine. I have a feeling if I left a soiled pair of chamois underwear, that too, would come up missing.

Wade: That is a most interesting stress test! There are several climbs on this Lock 1 ride I do that can really put some stress on the heart. I've a feeling I'll be on that treadmill, with a bunch of sensors stuck to my body. What will be interesting is to see how it compares with the last stress test; as in if there has been any diminished cardiac capacity.

DH and G: That was a nice quote by Billy Connolly there, spot on. When we get down to it, nobody knows nobody here. But then again, we elect to come posting here for a reason; that spirit of freindship, fat biking and even the health issues we deal with on a personal basis that binds us as a group. I sure don't wish to read of folks putting others on Ignore over trivial matters of personal opinion. So I am going to ask the two of you to shake hands, agree to disagree, but to leave the animosity at the door. And let's get back to communicating again.

I could agree with both of your points about cars old and modern. They both have pros and cons about them. Cars have never been more reliable as they are today. Yet something has been lost in making them so. A modern Porsche will start everytime in any temperature. Yet from what I have read, you cannot begin to see what a Boxster's engine looks like because the factory buried it. The things that make modern cars so amazingly predictable is what makes them so souless; like an appliance. As for me, my financial status will never have me owning a Road Runner or SS396 or Porsche of any kind. B

ut I love all of them as if I could own them.

I own a 73 Opel GT that I hope to one day soon start a mini-restoration of sorts. But with so many irons in the fire, like the boat build and other stuff; tied together with minimal funding since I retired from my service, well, that day keeps getting pushed further and further!

Those Ford GT 40's are beautiful. The 2005 GT recreation is stunning and a wonderful job of recreating the original. It takes some real dedicated car guys to pull off a project like that.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mike, if only we had an OBD II port! Hook up, set the live data stream and record it in the real world as opposed to being on a hamster wheel going nowhere fast. Doc wanted to give the mobile setup a go and see what the results would shape up to be in a real world test. Was incredibly enjoyable despite the baggage.

G and DH will hafta behave around here! No, it's not worthy to be snarky when we are as Mike said in his piece, trying to keep ourselves going with high mileage on our odometers and with a common goal through a common interest, fat bikes and +bikes being employed as our therapists on so many levels. Oh, do behaaaave!!!

Chief, glad to hear that the knees are doing better. Now to get the hips back in good working order. How are you liking the blue bike? +bikes are without a doubt a blast to ride. Hope you can get out in some warm sunshine and have a ride.

OZ, thankya for sharing some damn enjoyable pix! The land down under has many amazing features as you have kindly shown in your pix.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    LoL. It's all good, Mike. G played the ignore card, so he is safe.

Did ten miles on the Zeke this afternoon. Five to my current favorite brew pub and five back after a stop for a slab of barbecued beasts on the way home.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180418_182929259.jpg
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

DH: What's the building in the background, there?

Wade: Lol to that! I think those 427 Mustangs made the national car magazines if I have the right dealer to the story.

Yesterday's Ride Report had me going easy in ECO to Lock 1, up to Trenton and back. One thing of note: either the near 40 degree drop in temps or the stiff west-northwest wind in spots in the open or both conspired to eat almost as much energy from the battery in 9.5 miles as it did for me to 17.4 miles on Saturday to Lower Makefield.

Since I'm basically starting from a clean slate conditioning wise, I am enjoying biking in ECO as it opens up the horizons in going longer mileage later in the season; compared to my previous favorite, the High setting.

Another cold, gray day with rain on tap.

mtbr member
    Hey, Mike. That's the original Potato Barn. I love that building. The company hasn't used it in forever, and for a long time, you could get up on the loading docks and such. But I suspect kids either did damage (beyond the graffiti) to it or hurt themselves being stupid, so now it's all fenced off.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

DH: Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Cadence sensor testing ... two bikes.

The second cadence sensor arrived. I installed it on Sumo and paired it with the Edge 25. Went for an 11 mile ride, worked perfectly.

Back home, I turned off the Edge 25 and swapped it to FCC. I gave the sensor on Sumo fifteen minutes to shut down, then powered up the Edge 25 and started riding FCC. The Edge 25 picked up the FCC cadence sensor and it gave me the proper readout for a 7 mile ride.

Perfect, just what I was looking for.

Lovely day out, if a bit on the windy side. Both bikes are running beautifully.

G

mtbr member
    DH: Thanks!
    My pleasure, buddy.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

A Saturday ride...

Hi everyone, after a very slow week on the bikes for me I found myself in need of a little spin this morning. Heavy rain on Thursday and large surf limited my options to my local trails. One of the best things living where I do is having these trails a few hundred meters from home. And they dry super quick, so they are ridable when most others are not.

A quick section of a paved fire break starts things off, and this tree is from the Monty Python school of hard knocks.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09672.jpg

You can ring bark me but thats just a flesh wound, come back you coward

Soon we are onto the single track, weaving through the trees.

Coming...

Fat Biking and health-dsc09681.jpg

Going...

Fat Biking and health-dsc09682.jpg

From there we follow the trail down hill as it twists and turns.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09697.jpg

And the sun started to make its way through the cloud cover. Not the best for photographing in the trees.

The trail all to soon bottoms out and its time to winch your way back to the top. The Farley makes short work of the rock steps and tree roots, me not so much

Fat Biking and health-dsc09703.jpg

The climb rewards you with the best down hill of the day. Its ends down on the lake shore and their are other way to enjoy a Saturday.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09721.jpg

The trail along the lake shore is short but one of my favourites.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09711.jpg

GMBN Bike Vault shot, Super Nice?

After that one more climb to the lookout to stop and enjoy the view over Lake Macquarie.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09750.jpg

Not a bad way to spend an hour and again to have these trails at the door is a blessing. As is the Farley I really find myself enjoying the fat bike more every time I ride it. Sure its slower but it goes anywhere and allows me to enjoy the surroundings more than my other bikes.

Hope the weekend is kind to you and you manage a ride or two.

OZ.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-dsc09701.jpg  

mtbr member
    Awesome stuff, OZ. I am envious!
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Super nice ride report, Surly! Where is that weather coming from in the last pic? Is that weather part of the changeover to "winter" down under?

Friday's Ride Report: Local, Homebase to Lock 1 and back....

Battery pct% remaining: 53% (for this ride, steady, ez riding in HIGH setting)
    Mileage: 20.5
    Avg Speed/Top speed: 9.8/26.7
    Total Odometer: 4064 miles
    Weather: Once again, COLD. 52 with a NNW wind at 15-20. Sunny

Fat Biking and health-100_3078.jpg
    Spring daffodills at Crystal Lake Park entrance. The first of the flowering spring wild plants. You'll see them popping up in the last of the winter snows in February.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3050.jpg
    At Lock 1, Delaware & Raritan Canal lock chamber.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3053.jpg
    On the pedestrian bridge over the center of the lock chamber, looking out towards Crosswick Creek, where the barges came in from the Delaware River from cities like Philadelphia, heading northbound within the interior of New Jersey
    Fat Biking and health-100_3052.jpg
    Same vantage point, looking north into the canal and beyond, the canal basin where barges and mules gathered to await locking in and out of the barge lock system. Now just a forgotten, silted in reminder of what once happened here.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3054.jpg
    American Bald Eagle nest within the Abbott Marsh. This nest has been here for a long time, I remember it almost 2 decades ago while canoeing in the marsh.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3073.jpg
    Mother or Father Eagle. Imagine there is a baby chick or two or three in the nest.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3060.jpg
    The tide is out on the river, draining the canal out. Exposing this old wooden canal barge. The last operating year for the D&R Canal was 1934. So this barge has historical value to it, though you'd never know.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3061.jpg
    Looking north about 3/4 of the way up to the northern park gate. Weeds and summer growth still a ways off.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3062.jpg
    Absolutely no turtle sightings at all, due to the cold weather chasing them back into the muck for warmth. You can see the action from small minnows in the water, though.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3063.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3066.jpg
    Absolutely no way. I get queasy climbing a 6 foot ladder. These guys deserve every dollar they earn in their work.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3068.jpg
    At one time or another, somebody dumped this boat in the canal. Long before the state took over the old towpath, creating a park. We're close to Trenton, where people figure anyplace is good to dump their trash.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3070.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3069.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3071.jpg
    Rest stop, by this little memorial along the towpath. The story: this person was illegally riding some 3 or 4 wheelers with his buddies on this towpath when he struck the nearby tree. Friends being friends, the left him there to suffer and die. Somebody made this nice cross, left a rosary and some candles. But by the looks of things, they too have moved on as this site will be all grown in at the height of summer.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3077.jpg
    Having made my turnaround point on the northern end, I'm back at Bordentown, on the top of the bluff at Park Street, looking towards the Tom Paine statue (Chief: just to confirm, the painted stone is gone).
    Fat Biking and health-100_3076.jpg
    And at the very end of Park Street, a memorial I missed up until now. This one commemorates the British burning of the American fleet at Bordentown, in the Crosswicks Creek.

NOTE: Click on picture to enlarge it!

mtbr member
    Holy crow, Mike-great pics!
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

DH: Thanks, Buddy! Being on the towpaths, the wind was effectively stopped, making it a very nice, enjoyable day on the bike. Nice crystal clear blue sky as well.

Thinking of making another north run today, with the camera....

mtbr member
    Post up more pics when you finish that ride, Mike!

I just did the split-tube tubeless conversion on the front wheel of the fat bike, mounted a JJ 4.8. Aired up with a regular pump. I used Orange Seal Endurance after seating the tire. We shall see, but it seems to be holding pressure after the shake and bake.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    OZ, great report. Nice to have that trail access. That tree still has some ummpff left. It's ALWAYS good to ride by the water where it's cooler and breezier. Sun breaks through and then the front seems to be heading in. Great pic's.

Mike, nice ride buddy. I'm thinking about hitting the canal soon with the weather finally letting us out. Great pictures too. Keep an eye out for painted rocks the lady likes placing them in Bordentown, Washington Crossing, Morrisville a lot of places along the river. She's disabled but her and her husband get around.

I did a good bit of yard work this morning. Cleaned the flower beds up, loosened the dirt, added some feed. Then I planted 2 purple fountain grass plants and watered them. Next was cleaning pots for gardening. Prepare the soil for the pots and planted 9 romaine lettuce plants, 3 kale and 3 spinach plants. Cleaned up 2 large pots for flowers, loosened up and added feed and stuff to the soil and got them situated. Deadheaded the pansy plant I have a purchased a few more. I deadhead the plants after rides sitting and stretching. Then I cut the grass. So my backyard is ready. Tomatoes and peppers next weekend I think.
    Got everything cleaned up and then went for a ride around town.

I can't wait for warmer weather when I can get morning rides in again. I miss them.

mtbr member
    Gonna get out for a ride tomorrow morning or afternoon.

Holy smokes is the JJ a big tire in comparison to the Snowshoe 4.7-and it's even bigger than the Chaoyang 4.9. Beastly!
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Chief: Sounds like a lot of yard and garden work was accomplished yesterday. Everything growing on the vine or bush is going to arrive a bit late what with this colder than normal spring.

DH: Sounds like those Chinese tires are a bit optimistic in their sizing compared to the German-spec fat tire. I really have come to like the JJ 4.0's on the Haibike. Nice grip, nice easy rolling on the asphalt and they wear surprisingly well considering the softer compound compared to the Specialized Ground Controls on the Fatboy. Looking forward to your ride reports; as to from G, Wade, Chief and the rest of the gang.

Saturday's Ride Report

Homebase, northbound to Lock 1, D&R Canal and the Delaware Canal to New Hope, PA and back to Homebase

Haibike Full FatSix

Mileage: 54 miles
    Avg Speed/Top Speed: 10.8/28.5
    Odometer: 4118
    Battery Pct Remaining: 15%
    Weather: Cold to Cool-Winds NNW-Sunny giving way to mostly cloudy

Fat Biking and health-100_3079.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3080.jpg
    At the NJ Transit Crosswicks Creek Bridge, Bordentown, preparing to enter the D&R Lock 1 Towpath. 6 miles of asphalt riding from Homebase to this point just to ride off road! Highway construction work means too dangerous of bike riding on Route 130 via the more scenic Crystal Lake Park grounds, so I have more asphalt riding than the CC Lake short cut.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3082.jpg
    Just north of the Lock 1 lock chamber, the canal is expanded. Imagine this area back in the time, barges and mule teams waiting to lock in and out of the canal. Low tide on the Delaware River, exposing almost a hundred years of silt and decay.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3083.jpg
    Some 10 miles into the run, the Capital city of NJ, Trenton. I'll ascend this path onto a park built atop Route 29.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3085.jpg
    At the park, ahead is my crossing of the Delaware at the Trenton Makes The World Takes bridge. This approx 2 mile stretch is also the most inherently potentially dangerous. I just keep on pedaling, keeping situational awareness on high alert.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3087.jpg
    On the walkway of the Trenton Makes Bridge, looking north on the Delaware River towards the Calhoun Street Bridge. The river is running downstream here, about 3-5 mph in the spring currents.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3088.jpg
    Once I cross the bridge, I will be in Morrisville, PA. I will be riding for a short distance northbound along the top of that high dirt wall there; a levee, constructed to prevent Delaware flood waters from spilling into the Morrisville business district
    Fat Biking and health-100_3089.jpg
    On top of the Morrisville Levee. I know when I'm PA, cause NJ brown dirt gives way to PA Red Clay and the red clay dust that will cover my bike on this run.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3090.jpg
    Calhoun Street Bridge, Delaware River. It is here I will get off the Levee and get on the adjacent Delaware Canal.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3091.jpg
    On the Delaware Canal at Calhoun Street; resident Honkers greet my arrival.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3092.jpg
    The people who manage and maintain the PA canal towpath system have these mile marker signs at each significant city or town. Next stop, Yardley, PA.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3093.jpg
    .....while heading south, it would be near 10 miles to Bristol, PA; the beginning of the Delaware Canal at the Delaware River. Before Railroads, the Canals in America were the chief means of moving goods to market, all along the northern tiered states from here to Ohio. Effectively, the Delaware Canal runs from Bristol to Easton, PA. Then the Lehigh Canal goes from Easton, PA, where the Lehigh and Delaware Rivers meetup; to White Haven, PA, over 100 miles to the north of Easton. Altogether the two canals are known as The D&L Canal.

Here is their website: Delaware & Lehigh - National Heritage Corridor

Saturday's Ride Report Part 2

Fat Biking and health-100_3094.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3096.jpg
    The D&L is everything the D&R Lock 1 towpath dreams it could be, if it had dedicated people overseeing everything about it. It really is a treasure to see these vistas come before you on your bike.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3097.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3095.jpg
    Turtle action. Spot the number of turtles on the tree. Trout stocked waters, fishermen and women, turtles, lovely, well kept homes along the canal. Day walkers young and old enjoying a walk on the canal towpath. Water level running that is as easy and relaxing as it gets.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3098.jpg
    Ahead is the CSX/SEPTA train bridge, where last Saturday, I made a right turn off the canal to rest and relax in Lower Makefield Sports Park Complex. 17 miles and 82% battery charge remaining into the ride.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3100.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3101.jpg
    More canal towpath vistas. The small bridge is typical of the original bridges crossing the canal. Quite a few left.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3102.jpg
    To the right, major bridge construction project for the new Scudders Falls bridge, an I-95 connector bridge over the Delaware. Hehe, no tolls down here!
    Fat Biking and health-100_3103.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3107.jpg
    Another canal vista and a canal resident, a Heron; keeping a close eye on what she is going to have for lunch in the water below her feet.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3108.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3109.jpg
    Odometer and battery reading upon arriving at Washington Crossing, PA. This is the area where Gen Washington and his troops attempted a last effort to win a battle, boost troop morale, Christmas Eve, 1776. Next stop and my turnaround point is New Hope, PA.....

Saturday's Ride Report-Part 3

Fat Biking and health-100_3110.jpg
    D&L Mile marker...
    Fat Biking and health-100_3111.jpg
    Washington Crossing State Park surrounds the D&L in this area. Coming upon the Soldiers graves.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3112.jpg
    Resting in peace with Old Glory waving in the breeze; on eternal watch. The battle won, time to rest. Gravesites overlook the Delaware.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3113.jpg
    Northbound, next stop, the canal town called New Hope.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3114.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3115.jpg
    New Hope, PA. The towpath narrows here. The building in the first picture is a high dollar luxury apartment; er sorry, town house complex built from an abandoned factory. This town, and others to the north and down to Yardley, PA suffered severe damage from the Delaware River's recent catastrophic flooding.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3116.jpg
    Final rest stop, New Hope PA. Overlooking the Delaware River at Wells Falls, a very rough and tumble Class II-IV rapid of rocks and fast water funneled by wing dams on the PA and NJ sides.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3119.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3118.jpg
    Wells Falls. In a life spent in CG Search and Rescue and being a fresh water fisherman myself, I know the dumb things fisherman put themselves to risk at. Like this guy. He's on the downcurrent side of the NJ side of the Wells Falls wing dam. Does not appear to be wearing a dry suit. Water still in the low 50's/upper 40's. Rocks and boulders all around him. I assume he has a jet drive for his motor. I've been in this area on my New York state to homebase canoe expedition and this rapid scared me the most. One mistake, that fool is going into the icy river water. But hey, the Shad are running!
    Fat Biking and health-100_3120.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3121.jpg
    At New Hope, PA.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3123.jpg
    My bench seat overlooking Wells Falls. Bucks County, PA suffered many human losses in the 9-11 murders, since the county was home to high powered financial people who worked in the Twin Towers; probably making the train commute over that train bridge I showed you earlier. Like the Soldiers lying in their graves at Washington Crossing, have fun, enjoy the day....but Remember the Sacrifice. Never Forget. Always be Ready.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3124.jpg
    For Chief 500: This stone was on the north side of the parking lot for the D&L, off of East Ferry Road, near Calhoun Street.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3126.jpg
    Southbound, Morrisville Levee, looking towards the Trenton Makes bridge.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3127.jpg
    Working southbound, I'm now in the parking lot of Arm and Hammer Stadium, home to the AA Trenton Thunder, the New York Yankees farm team. You are looking at the two level platform I will take to get atop the South Ward Park, overtop Route 29.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3128.jpg
    Northbound entrance to D&R Canal State Park Lock 1 entrance. Trash strewn about. Night and day difference from the D&L. Welcome home.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3129.jpg
    Homebase. Ride completed. 54 miles total. Water level riding save for climbing in and out of the nearby creek watersheds. Northbound I used ECO. On the way home, a combination of ECO, STANDARD and HIGH power settings.

mtbr member
    Gorgeous pics and great write up, Mike.

You may be right about tire sizing. The JJ is about 3/4" taller than the Snowshoe when inflated on the rim.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180422_080040254_hdr.jpg

I'm sipping coffee, but will soon load up and head out to San Tan for a ride.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Gonna get out for a ride tomorrow morning or afternoon.

Holy smokes is the JJ a big tire in comparison to the Snowshoe 4.7-and it's even bigger than the Chaoyang 4.9. Beastly!
    With my JJ 4.8's being so chubby and the fact that they simply roll better than 95% of the tires out there, not looking at anything else!
    Sand performance is amazing as is low rolling resistance for a tire in the 4.8 class.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Did a nice 8 miles in San Tan Regional today. Only downside was a rear flat. I need to convert that wheel to tubeless. The JJ is awesome.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180422_115416263.jpg

Found another of those rocks ... Made me smile.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180422_115537223.jpg

It was a great day to be out on the trails.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180422_120142414.jpg
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Nice pics, DH. Looks like you can pedal off into the horizon and just keep going.

What a difference between your 4.8's and my 4.0's. Like night and day. Your bike looks perfect with it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone great to see you all out riding.

Mike and Chief those clouds are just a normal build up over the Great Dividing Range that runs up the back of the lake. The ocean temp offshore is still very warm for this time of year so the clouds most days are fantastic.

Mike great to see the chains of winter broken and you had a very solid ride straight off the bat. I followed along your bread crumb trail on Google maps and I can see why you love these canal paths they are a fantastic escape from the urban sprawl.

I found the Red building just before your turn around.

Fat Biking and health-screen-shot-2018-04-23-9.15.59-am.jpg

Possibly found your bench at the end of the path but no street view for that. Looks like a great place to ride along away from all the traffic.

Great to see your reports back.

DH love that last photo, bike looks made to roam those mountains. Speaking of which I could not find the needle but I looked around the haystack

Fat Biking and health-screen-shot-2018-04-23-9.34.36-am.jpg

Looks a great place to explore.

I used to make a few of these images looking around Google Maps for the man made patterns in the landscape. The farms of the USA are an amazing patch work from above.

This one just the other side of The San Tan Mountains.

Fat Biking and health-screen-shot-2018-04-23-9.31.25-am.jpg

And one from my sister city of Newcastle, Utah.

Fat Biking and health-screen-shot-2018-04-23-10.01.31-am.jpg

Not as much ocean as we have

As I said great to see you guys out riding and fun to follow along too.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Cheers, Mike, OZ.

It's a great place to ride. About 20 miles of trails all told, maybe a little more, almost all of it rideable. I jones for the stuff both of you ride, but I'm thankful for the great riding here.

Hey-technical question: I dinged my rear rim. Not dented or out of true, but a chink on the outside of the rim. Anyone file those down or something like that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

I found the needle...

Hi Dh went back to the San Tan Mountain Park and I believe I found the Needle.

Fat Biking and health-screen-shot-2018-04-23-10.41.03-am.jpg

The tree you are leaning your bike against is just to the left of shot and its little smaller, the Goggle image seems to be from 2013. Nice of the guy to take a walk through the park for us.

OZ.

Surly in Oz: Your pics of my ride area are better than mine! I believe we are pretty much out of the possibility of any more snow. Not 100% sure, cause it has been known to snow into May...very rare, but it is possible.

Once I put my pickup down for the spring and summer, I will be pretty much stuck with these local rides. Not bad. But without the towpaths to keep me sane, it's just congested urban jungle style riding and that's not my cup of tea. I really want to do an overnight ride on the towpath to a campground a bit up from New Hope, so stay tuned for that. Maybe before putting the truck down, a northern towpath run or two, with pictures.

Each and every one of you guys rides is inspiration for me to do the same.

And it's such a cool thing to think that there are like minded, good people halfway around the world!

mtbr member
    Back atcha, Mike!

Side note: If you guys get the chance, watch Kodachrome on Netflix. Great movie, and grounded in an article in the NYT.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/30/u...5251DC&gwt=pay
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Mike we road the same path a day apart. LOL I got a ride to Yardley and rode the canal home Bristol, PA. And your right about the red clay, the blue bike needed a rinse at the end of the ride. I started out and didn't check my computer ..... It needed a battery, so the mileage and times are off. But I know the distance.
    I got down to Morrisville at the Calhoun Street bridge there’s a good hill just north of the bridge. It's a small mountain of schist rising from the ground, pulled from thousands of feet below in the birth of the Appalachian Mountains. The rock is a quarter-billion years old.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4274a.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_4277a.jpg
    Then continuing on down the canal I get to the RR tracks that block the canal that allow RR traffic to the US Steel Fairless plant. There’s not near the traffic there used to be but the businesses still have the usage. When you leave the canal path the trail down to the RR tracks was a tad covered with branches. I used to have to get off my bike due to the large rocks there. It’s all the ballast for the 4 tracks for the NE corridor from NY to Washington. This time the Fuse and the larger tires had no issues. I pedaled right through and back up to the canal path. On I go, down to the Tyburn Road blockage. You have to leave the canal head towards the train tracks again. The canal is a little higher in elevation than the RR track area. This area was vehicle access for the construction crew vehicles for the past work done. This is usually an easy area. I headed down, the Fuse rolls really easily. Picked up speed, made the turn and headed down again. At the bottom I see a VERY muddy area, I see truck tracks through it and head to the right side to run in that depression. The mud was thick and I caught a rut …….. DOWN GOES FRAZIER. The front wheel turned and sunk, dumping me to the right of the mud into the brush. I landed hard on some logs in a sticker bush. I landed hard on my right hip and shoulder. I lay there for a bit to do an evaluation. I threw the bike off of me and felt something running from my nose. Quick wipe and its blood. Ut oh; I realized it was from a scratch on my face. It took a bit to get loose of the sticker bushes. I got up, gathered my bike and walked across the muddy area. There I checked myself out, I was sore, and thank GOD nothing was broken. I’m about half way home. I figure I’ll get back on the bike and see how it goes. I’m close to a park that my wife can come get me if I’m having issues.
    I ride on; my hip and shoulder are sore but not enough to stop the ride. I continue on and get down into Tullytown. Next is Edgely where there is still a good working lock.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4278a.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_4279a.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_4282a.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_4283a.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_4286a.jpg
    Just a few hundred yards and I’m at Route 13, cross the 6 lane roadway and there’s the Turnpike Bridge to tie the NJ & PA turnpikes together.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4287a.jpg
    Then you’re into Bristol, I’m a mile from home but I want to loop to the river like I usually do. I get to the end of the canal path past the Grundy Clock tower building.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4288a.jpg
    I have to go onto a roadway to turn into the Elementary school that forced the closing of the canal in that area. I’m not sure when the canal was closed off but I went to 6th grade in the original school and that had been torn down and replaced with the new school. Up a small hill and to the last to original locks of the canal. They have been filled in but you can see the walls of the locks behind the high-rise
    Fat Biking and health-img_4290a.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_4289a.jpg
    then on to Mill Street and into the parking lot where we can see the lagoon to access the Delaware River.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4291a.jpg
    Over to the river and the new boat docks, then on to home.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4293a.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_4294a.jpg
    I checked the computer it logged 13.26 miles in 1:22:54, avg was 9.5 with a max of 19. The real mileage is 15.2 so it wasn’t too bad.

As of this writing, I’m sore (shoulder and hip). Hip is starting to bruise. I finished it and felt pretty good until I stopped and started to get sore.

By the way I was VERY sore this morning. Shower helped .... a med I had left over from the knee surgery helped even more. It'll be an easy ride this evening just to get loose.
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 04-23-2018 at 05:27 AM.