Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253
Results 5,201 to 5,280 of 5280
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Oz...great pics of the CC..and landscape. What tires are you running? In the past, I’ve always ran a 32c as my “road” tire on my Vaya. I just mounted up some Contenintal 4000s in 700x28. I think I am going to like them. They are bigger than I thought they would be. I’ve used the 23c version on my carbon roadie for years and really liked them.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    Got sort-of a taste of snow riding today out at San Tan. One of the only trails out there I'd never done was the Malpais. It hooks off the San Tan about a mile in and runs 4.1 miles until it reconnects with San Tan (and another mile or thereabouts back to the trailhead. About 2 miles of the Malpais is deep sand washes, so most mountain bikers loathe it. I was one of only two riders in it, and the other guy, on 27.5 x 2.somethings was miserable. It was a helluva workout.

The bike stood straight upright in the sand:
    Attachment 1181374

Definitely a nice trail for solitude:
    Attachment 1181375

The most fatiguing thing was the combination of spinning steadily in sand and then having to climb out of it periodically, only to descend back into the sand trap 500 feet later.
    Attachment 1181379

Then I jetted home, showered, and met my girlfriend for a great little vampire flick, Living Among Us, which we enjoyed while sipping good IPAs and Sculpins.
    DH, ya hafta ease the workload with air pressure! This type of Jeepin requires carrying a pump so you can air down as needed and air back up after the sand ride. Makes a day and night difference. Tires in the 3-5" range are designed for this kind of terrain. Nope, not like the old days of set it and forget it tire bikes in that we get to hit the places that are not hospitable to bikes. Jeepin, brother, Jeepin!

Quote Originally Posted by mehlertmj View Post
    I got to enjoy some decent fluff tonight on my commute home from work. It was -6F on the way and and it warmed up to 10F on the way home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What planet do we find that stuff on? Good times, indeed!

Can't get that stuff in the high country this year. :/
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post

Dr Pepper: Really looking forward to when your expedition gets rolling. That's going to be a fun time, no doubt. Question about Germany and their methods of treating snow covered roads: do they use salt in the manner we do here in the US? What is the condition of the older cars and trucks on the road in Germany as far as body rust; if salt is used on roads?

From what I see, they use sand rarely. Usually I see them putting down a liquid de-icer of some sort but not sure of contents. They don't seem to salt the roads although people use salt liberally on their driveways and sidewalks. I don't see many rust buckets driving around but that's hardly a professional estimate. The 20 yo hoopdie I bought when I first arrived here was rust free if that sample size has any relevance.
    Goldilocks should have chosen the fatbike.

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Terry, the tyres on the CC are Schwalbe Marathon Supremes in 700x35.

Its a great size on the CC as there is plenty of frame and fork clearance. They roll very well and really cut down on road chatter. And so far I have not had a single puncture with them.

I use to run a 26x2 inch set on my Troll and only had a few punctures over three or so years. Its my favourite road tyre, well worth the money.

I have run a set of Maxis Roamer 700x42 on the CC and really liked the bigger volume. I would be running the Marathon Supremes in 700x40 if they were available in OZ when I brought the 35's.

After my rebuild of the CC I have the original wheel set in the garage and have been thinking about servicing the hubs and putting a set of Specialized Sawtooth 700x42 on them. I have a ride that I want to do up in the Hunter Valley thats a mix of road and gravel. The gravel roads don't call for the 27+ tyres on the Monkey, so the CC and 42 might be the right choice. Thinking of heading into the shop tomorrow to work out the costs.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Oz...I keep a spare wheelset with larger tires for the Vaya as well. Not sure what is the largest tire I can fit. I’ve had 42 Tour Rides on it with plenty of room and last year I had 41 Knards with fenders, so I’m guessing 43-45 range.

On the Fatbike side of things, we got like 4-5 inches of new snow overnight. I can’t get out today, but plan to hit the trails tomorrow afternoon!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    DH, ya hafta ease the workload with air pressure! This type of Jeepin requires carrying a pump so you can air down as needed and air back up after the sand ride. Makes a day and night difference. Tires in the 3-5" range are designed for this kind of terrain. Nope, not like the old days of set it and forget it tire bikes in that we get to hit the places that are not hospitable to bikes. Jeepin, brother, Jeepin!

What planet do we find that stuff on? Good times, indeed!

Can't get that stuff in the high country this year. :/
    Hey there, Wade.

I do carry two different pumps (NO2 and conventional), and I was running about 8 psi in 4.7" tires, so flotation was zero problem. The key issue was simply constant spinning and having to do sprints of 20-30' elevation change up out of the wash only to drop back into it. The ascents and descents are very rocky, so I did not want to drop pressure any further, and I definitely didn't want to be airing up and then dropping pressure half a dozen times (that sorta stuff just ruins the ride for me). Remember, I'm a big dude (220 pounds), so I have to watch tire pressure on rocky, sharp stuff.
    2016 El Oso Grande

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    One thing is picking a line and being loose as opposed to rigid on the bike. Shifting weight as I pass over obstacles allows for lower riding pressure as well. Trials has taught me the fine art of lower pressure riding.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Remember, buddy, I weigh 60 plus pounds more than you. My lines are by nature agricultural.

That said, I'm pretty good at moving over obstacles. Less so after spinning for a mile in 6" sand while riding uphill.
    2016 El Oso Grande

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    When ya hit the 100+ more... Then you can join the football team.

I ride the trials bike at 18 psi in a 2.4. Gaps of 6' and the rim gently bottoms out. This has been achieved after 100's of hours of practice.
    I have a friend that weighs in just over 200 that is light as a feather on a bike. Bastage is an amazing rider, indeed!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I will have to settle for just the bastage part!
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I rode at my spinning max today, power OFF nearly all the way, around the same circuit I ran yesterday. My legs burn a bit this evening, but it felt great. I'll pay for it tomorrow, I'm sure.

Remember: urban, street rider here. Had three separate moments on the ride today that were amusing. One while riding: I came across a guy in the park riding one of these little beasties ... https://onewheel.com/products/onewheel-xr ... Now that looked like a tremendous amount of fun! Snowboarding on pavement! I just might have to try one of them ... I wonder whether I can find a place to rent one.

Then there was the guy at the cafe who was fascinated with the Bordo Plus 6500 link lock. I was using my new riding configuration today ... the Bordo tucked on the frame around the seat post, just a very small sling bag on my back. It works very well! I was able to scoot along hard with much less sweating down the middle of my back from a heavy rucksack. Much more comfortable!

Third was on the road by my place. Two young boys doing tricks with their bikes. I come around the corner on them ... they see the big tires and their eyes get wide. "Hey, do a wheelie!" one of them shouts. I stopped and looked around, saw their mom looking our way from the second floor of the house behind. I waved at her, she waved back. "Okay, guys: I'm too old to do wheelies on the pavement. But I'll race you around the block, if your mom doesn't mind." She called out, "You can go around the block but be back in half an hour." I called back up to her, "Oh, they'll be back here in ten minutes. I live around the block and will make sure of it for you." She smiled and gave me the OK sign. I turned to the boys, "What're your names?" Tommy and Pedro ... "Okay, let's go!" I led them around into the back road that goes to the city hall and park parking lot (empty right now) and then let them get in front of me. They did some wheelies and tricks—astonishing what a light kid on a little bike can do!—and then we raced back and forth through the parking lot and down the empty service road alongside it, with Sumo's power on full. This old man and his electric bike beat them boys each time. LOL! I hit 24 mph twice in that short sprint.

Then fun time was over and I dropped them back at the house around the corner. Mom had a grin on her face, "You're five minutes late. I should have called the police..." I hung my head and said, "yeah, well, Sergeant Almita would chew me out ... again." then looked up and laughed. As did she, "By the way, my name is Alma." The boys were still agog with the fat ebike's tires and my speed. Said goodbyes and I took off for home and a shower.

It was a great time. And now I know another family (and the next door neighbor's boy, Tommy) as well. Life is good.

G
    Last edited by ramarren; 1 Week Ago at 11:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Mehlertmj: Nice night shot in the cold. Where is your riding area with those temps and snow?

DH: Nice sand desert shots there. Your bike is in her element right there.

Dr Pepper: Really looking forward to when your expedition gets rolling. That's going to be a fun time, no doubt. Question about Germany and their methods of treating snow covered roads: do they use salt in the manner we do here in the US? What is the condition of the older cars and trucks on the road in Germany as far as body rust; if salt is used on roads?

Ride Reports still on hold. Today was probably the best to get out, though, with temps in the 40's. Still, off roading would be a muddy mess. Tonight, another storm front with morning snow/icing conditions; so absolutely no drying of the canal towpaths are coming anytime soon.
    Hey Mike,

I’m in eastern Iowa. We’re supposed to be getting a couple more fronts in tonight and tomorrow. Should be some good riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    A ride a day keeps the world at bay ...

I did a semi-reversed loop today. Amazing how the landscape changes when you approach it from the other direction. Also went a bit longer ... 12.5 miles today. Beautiful weather out for riding. It was not a fun ride with lots of amusing incidents like yesterday, though; those days only happen occasionally. Just a nice scoot around the area, pedaling hard and keeping my heart rate up.

A notable moment is that I've now turned the odometer over the 1200 mile mark, ending the day's ride at 1206 miles. That's satisfying...

onwards!
    G

Fat Biking & Health Rider

My favorite bar end has returned, the Cane Creek Ergo......

Saw this in Bike Rumor this morning. Great news, for those who like bar ends. Link: https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/02/06...lls-500-pairs/

Link: https://www.canecreek.com/bar-ends/

And at $27.50, a heck of a lot cheaper than the 40 plus dollars I paid for my last new pair I located on Ebay, about a month and a half ago!

FB&H rider
    Saw this in Bike Rumor this morning. Great news, for those who like bar ends. Link: https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/02/06...lls-500-pairs/

Link: https://www.canecreek.com/bar-ends/

And at $27.50, a heck of a lot cheaper than the 40 plus dollars I paid for my last new pair I located on Ebay, about a month and a half ago!
    I may have to give those a try....

G, sounds like a fun day!

I got my 'final piece' in the mail - the seat/saddle bag - and it works a charm! My sleeping bag and a bunch of other stuff fits in there, so I'm ready for my first trial runs on the Trek in preparation for the bikepacking trip! So excited!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G nice rides you have been getting in, great to encourage kids to love their bikes too.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mike, shame the weather is keeping you off the bike as this place misses your ride reports.

As for bar ends going away I have two pairs of Giant grips in the bike box that look very similar to these. And I find the Ergon grips with the bar end as part of the grip excellent.

Hope you are back on the roads and paths soon.
    OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Pepper, which seat bag did you get?

Make sure you find room for a camera in there too.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, I have been struck down with Man Flu this week. Had a few days off work mid week and back to it on Friday and Saturday. That was too soon as I had no sleep last night and woke up feeling like rubbish this morning.

There is a little bit of much needed rain around so I don't feel so bad about missing a ride. Still this is were I wanted to ride this weekend.

Fat Biking and health-img_1925.jpg

Maybe next week.

My charity bike ride that I do every year that was cancelled earlier this year is now back on. However the new route the the Police agreed on is not very appealing. Basically a out and back route along a major highway. So I have picked out another charity ride up in the lower Hunter Valley. This one is only 60 km but its a mountain bike ride.

So for the next month or so off road miles need to be ridden to make sure I can stay in front of the broom wagon

Hope you get out on the bike this weekend.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Surly: Sorry to hear you've been ill. Get better soon!

I've been on a high riding all week, with mostly ten to fifteen mile days, mostly fast-ish: working my legs pretty hard. Today was another ten and a half miler, felt great. It's all the usual loop so unless some particularly entertaining moment occurs when I'm riding, there's not much to say about it. I enjoy doing the same loop over and over again, seeing the small differences day by day.

My interest in motion photography (movies, etc) is growing. To that end I bought a Rylo 360 camera. I've done a few test clips so far ... dang the software is just magical! Lots to learn. Now I need a handlebar mount for it and then I'll fit it to Sumo for a bit of fun. It's a tiny thing and given that it captures a full 360 degree spherical data stream, pointing it is something you actually do in rendering the clips out later ... kind of ideal for bicycle stuff where you can't really fuss with the camera while you're going.

Soon as I get a mount, I'll fit it and capture a test. :-)

G

---
    Oh yeah: I don't know if any of you have used a 360 camera before, it's a kind of new thing. Here's my first test clip, just 41 seconds walking through my kitchen and living room, pointing the camera around. The first clip is a full 360 flat projection, the other five are HD flat projections all done in the software with different kinds of 'watch here' triggers and waypoints (these were output silent to save space and time). It's amazing the variety of stuff you can get out of a single clip!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mf3pwiEy6kBB5A

enjoy!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I just realized I havent check in on you all here in a while. (FYI this is Tigris99 for the regulars, user name change)

Good to see many enjoying the fact we are actually getting a winter. Sadly some are on the butt end of it getting ice instead of powder.

Ive been on a roller coaster with weight which was really annoying. Ive been concerned about feeling off but doctor sees nothing wrong except we figured out an energy drink and me dont mix, stick to coffee only.

Also tried round one of Ketone diet before the holidays, was working amazing! Then holidays set me back 7 lbs, transitioning back to ketone diet, plan is to do it till April. It does wonders for lower intensity endurance, i can sit and spin forever through the snow and such on my fat bike on more level terrain. But loose my sustained power for trails with any real climbing.

Goal is to loose 30lbs by April but be able to make respectable times for the first race of the season. Have to do it just because its a race I regretted not doing way back when I started riding again. But after that year the trails were closed (well access due to bridge for access being dangerous). Just re-opened finally 2 months ago.

Thats where Im headed tomorrow, only trails that dont have 12" plus of snow covering them atm. If I hadnt broken my phone camera last weekend at the drunken fat bike stomp (OTB at low speed while standing up and being stupid while intoxicated). How I hit my phone just right to just take out the camera but not damage the rest I have no idea. Legs covered in bruises to show for it too.

Pics are from that ride and then 2 weeks prior being the first person on that snow covered trail. We had a few inches, all melted and dried out then now 12" of snow at least with more coming in tonight.

I noticed we have an eastern Iowa rider here too, Im western Illinois. LMK if the club FORC means anything to you and if your near us (though Im technically 45 minutes north).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Hey there, RAKC. I enjoy your posts elsewhere in the forum. Glad to see you are a part of this thread.

Fell asleep early, but woke up. Now it's back to sleep. Going to do a ride at Lost Dutchman tomorrow, I think.

Cheers, all.
    2016 El Oso Grande

Dr Pepper: The anticipation here grows for your overnight rides; really am looking forward to your ride reports. Tell us what kind of tent and sleeping pad & bag you'll be using. Grips: I got my first pair based on the reviews of it on this site. I have Ergon GP5's on my Trek Soho. I found the design of the Ergon bar ends do not fit in the palm of my hand as the Cane Creek Ergo Control does. The soft, kraton rubber of the CC's help absorb some road irregularities in a way that the hard plastic of the Ergon's do not. Of course, this is all subjective to each individual rider. The first modification I did to the Haibike was search out a pair of unused Ergo Controls's on Ebay.....

Surly In Oz: Thanks for the kind words, my friend. And let me say as one who has spent a good time on the sicklist this winter, my thoughts are with a complete and full recovery. Seems the world is undergoing a flu mini-epidemic. The US has suffered quite a few deaths over this nasty virus. Each year, I get a flu shot in the hopes of avoiding it. There is something really sad when we read or hear of a young child struck down by this stuff.

Weather? Awful. A repeat of last Sunday. Yesterday I drove down to Batsto to walk the puppy on the Batona Trail. Did maybe 5 miles or so. The parking lot was filled with a large group of mountain bikers getting ready to do the Penn Branch Mountain Biking course inside the Pine Barrens forest..... Today, there will be no biking there or here as 3 inches of rain is gonna fall on the Delaware Valley today. My conditioning is shot. When this crap weather finally moves out and we have some consecutive days of dry weather to dry these trails that have been in a constant state of mud & wet, I'll look forward to getting out. Get well, Surly!

Tigris: Glad to have you back! I often wonder where some of the old gang here went after a long time not hearing from them. Sounds like your area of the midwest is undergoing the topsy turvy crazy weather the rest of the US from midwest to east has been experiencing this winter.

Mike

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi Pepper, which seat bag did you get?

Make sure you find room for a camera in there too.

OZ.
    Oz,
    I didn't go the full Revelate (brand) bag route although once I've got a few trips under my belt I may 'earn' the right to spend a little more on bags. For the total price of one of the nicer bags I'm set up
    For now the list is:
    Ideashop saddle bag 10 L ($26)
    Roswheel bar bag 4L ($13)
    Ibara frame bag 8L ($15)
    Odyssey dry bag 10L with Sea to Summit straps ($10 & $12)
    Roswheel gas tank 2L (~$12, gift)

I rode in to work today with all of the above on the bike, with all my camping/sleeping gear loaded. Was very stable, felt great on the bike. I think I can get away with a 15L backpack for all my other stuff including hydration. While these cheaper bags will likely not last as long (one of the biggest points of failure are the zippers on cheaper bags), for now they're all functional and I'm pretty happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    I just realized I havent check in on you all here in a while. (FYI this is Tigris99 for the regulars, user name change)

Ive been on a roller coaster with weight which was really annoying. Ive been concerned about feeling off but doctor sees nothing wrong except we figured out an energy drink and me dont mix, stick to coffee only.
    Thanks for checking in brother! The reason this thread exists is to make the fatbikes part of overall physical and mental health! Hang in there, keep it up!

Dr Pepper: The anticipation here grows for your overnight rides; really am looking forward to your ride reports. Tell us what kind of tent and sleeping pad & bag you'll be using. Grips: I got my first pair based on the reviews of it on this site. I have Ergon GP5's on my Trek Soho. I found the design of the Ergon bar ends do not fit in the palm of my hand as the Cane Creek Ergo Control does. The soft, kraton rubber of the CC's help absorb some road irregularities in a way that the hard plastic of the Ergon's do not. Of course, this is all subjective to each individual rider. The first modification I did to the Haibike was search out a pair of unused Ergo Controls's on Ebay.....

Mike
    Hope your weather improves: I love the stories and the history in your posts!
    I went similarly budget for my first bikepacking trip on the camping stuff: gear that has gotten good reviews but doesn't break the bank. I feel if I start doing it regular like I can justify filling in here and there with more expensive stuff.
    Camping set up:
    sleeping bag: Quechua summer weight ($20)
    sleeping mat: Quechua self inflating ($22)
    hammock: Quechua ($12)
    tarp: Gnarwhal gear ($33)
    hammock straps: Bear Butt ($20)

I've used the mat and bag, and have set up the hammock with straps a few times. All seem good for now. Haven't used the tarp yet but it's highly rated on Amazon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Chillier ride today, temps didn't hit 60°F. A nice 11.5 mile jaunt, however; the usual route with a couple of fun deviations. Nice, quick run ... 57 minutes including a coffee stop.

I think I've determined the right handlebar mount for the action cam. I'm going to pick it up today and see how it fits. Presuming it fits well, I'll ride with it tomorrow.

G

mtbr member
    ramarren, nice job with the kids. They'll be looking for you now.

Been dieing to get out, weather hasn't been cooperating at all. Great temp yesterday but heavy rain kept us pinned in doors. It does get into the 50's this week so I WILL get out for a few miles.
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 1 Week Ago at 03:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Aaaahhhhhhhh!
    I felt SO good to get out and ride today. I've been waiting too long for a decent day.

I had a small run in with a driver in my first leg of the ride. I was riding towards the curb on a side street. A car was behind me, I was ahead of it, but the driver pushed up to me. We went through two intersections and he waited until until there were parked cars to pass me. I yelled at the driver, (PA State law requires they leave 4ft while passing a bike rider). He kept going, I had an idea who it was and where they were going. I kept going on my ride. The car was in the WAWA along my ride, car was parked, the guy was getting coffee. Big F'en hurry to get coffee. I went in saw him in line and paid for his coffee and walked him outside. I tried to explained the law as I had read it. He said why don't you ride on the sidewalk. I explained how bikers are not allowed to do that and that I bought you a coffee to show I'm not a bad guy or and asshole. But if you do that to me again I'm going to kick your ass. He nodded, got in his car and drove off. I went on my way.

A little aggravating, but it ended up OK.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Pepper that seem like a great set up with out breaking the bank.

Looking foward to the ride report.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Chief good to see you out on the bike again, I take it the Super Bowl celebrations were great

Drivers hey, seems like every ride I come across a few close calls. Most are just ignorant of the rules, we have a meter passing law down here. And still some cannot wait a few seconds to pass safely. On my ride home from work there are a few pinch points on the road, and yesterday a guy could not wait squeezed me into the curb. Close enough that I could have touched his car, had I managed to catch up with him coffee would not have been brought.

The closest call I have had was near the same piece of road, before the bend a car missed my handle bar by an inch and continued across me and rubbed the curb on the corner.

I caught up with them in a club carpark just down the road and was steaming. Now I am a quietly spoken guy but people could hear me coming from miles away. So I get to the car to find someones sweet old Grand mother behind the wheel claiming to not know what I was so angry about. I pointed out that If she had not seen a bike rider wearing a Hi Vis vest, white helmet, orange bike and large red tail light on a perfectly clear day she should not dive home. I have plenty of bad interactions with drivers but that day I was so lucky to make it home.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone as I just mentioned I have been ride to work this week, unfortunately thats the only riding I am doing as my Man Flu is lingering.

Even though its only a short ride and I am taking my time I have been a pool of sweat at the end of the ride. Hopefully by the weekend it lets up and I can get out and about.

In the mean time something for me to dream about...

Fat Biking and health-dsc08415.jpg

OZ.

Surly in Oz: Hoping you beat this illness soon. Riding when ill can't be too much fun at all. Nice shot there. What is the purpose of those pyramids on the beach?

Dr Pepper: I like your idea of going low cost initially, to see how bikepacking appeals to you; before going with higher cost gear. Any thoughts in incorporating Little Pepper on an overnighter? Anyways, the same overnighting idea has crossed my mind quite a few times since my visit to the Mullica River Camp deep in the NJ Pine Barrens. It will sure take this fatbiking to a whole new level.

Chief: All it takes is that one person for life to get turned upside down in an instant. Thinking right now of a young lady there in Philadelphia, just commuting to work on her bike in the city, and a garbage truck squeezes right into her bike lane, running her down and killing her. 20 something she was, with a full life ahead of her when fate intervened.

I like your directness and bluntness in dealing with that driver. Buying the coffee was a great touch and yet he still did not get it. I am sure it gave him much to think about, if he has any conscience or common sense.

I don't recall one incident while on the Haibike last year. I did document here an encounter with a driver who drifted past the white line to her right; as I saw my left foot on the pedal just a foot or so from her SUV. Kinda got woken out of my slumber and right into a fight or flight real quick-like. I've really noticed 99.99% of the drivers here give me room. I do believe the sight of the bike, the huge tires, really stands out to these drivers. Knowing of course, that it's that .01% that I'm not gonna see that can potentially ruin a good day. Be well. Stay safe. Today was the first day free of rain or high wind or cold; so the paths should begin drying a bit....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mike, thanks for your thoughts.

The pyramids are tank traps that were placed on the beach during WW2. The thought was that the beach was a possible landing site for the Japanese. I find hard to believe that these are the original ones but thats the story.

The town of Newcastle was fired on by a Japanese submarine in the early days of the war, after it had launched midget subs into Sydney Harbour.

The closest that beach came to WW2 was a few years ago when one of Hugh Jackmans X Men "Logan" movies used it to recreate the D day landings.

These are the last two tank traps on the beach, I remember many more when I was a child. There are a couple down by the lake that were moved there. Next time I ride past I will grab a photo.

Great shame about the young lady, no family should have to deal with the tragic and senseless loss of life.

Oz.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Chief! Glad to hear you got out for a ride! Yeah!

Some drivers are foolish. I do my best to make eye contact with drivers when they come too close and stay pleasant and friendly, but there are times I have to yell at them (I can ring the bell, but somehow hearing me yell and seeing me wave an arm carries the message a bit more strongly... ).

Most are just distracted and not paying attention ... I watch very carefully to predict where I ought not be to safeguard against those.

Some, a few, are just murderous bastids whom I would throw off a cliff without a qualm. Life would be happier without them.

Overall, however, I use techniques I learned as a motorcyclist to keep safe and sane:
    • Ride in such a way as to give way to those who are faster than you can be the opportunity to get out of your way.
    • Never pick a fight with a vehicle that weighs 50x what you do.
    • Be assertive when there are no other options: this means TAKING UP THE LANE and being visible about it when it's the only way through a junction or section of the road.
    • Make direct, consistent, clean paths as you ride and turn so that people can predict where you are looking to be.
    • Smile and make eye contact with everyone you can, as apropos to traffic and the riding environment. It's amazing how doing just this has gotten me bunches of, "Hey, I'm sorry! I didn't see you for a second back there. Nice bike!" comments when I stop at lights.

So far, it's working fine. I've had all of two close calls, really, since I started riding again last year. Most people on the paths I run frequently now look out for me and wave as I pass. I wave back. Some of the college boys (I live near a university) who see me ride past every day have occasionally called out and invited me to have a beer with them. (And sometimes I've taken them up on that... )

---
    Today was a short ride, just five miles. I got out kinda late and it was into the "crazy traffic" time, which I just feel it's best to avoid when I can. But it was a very nice five mile run ... I sprinted the whole way and got a fantastic burn going in both legs and shoulders.

Speaking of which, I'd best hop in the shower now ... I'm sure I stink a bit.

onwards!
    G

FB&H rider

Dr Pepper: I like your idea of going low cost initially, to see how bikepacking appeals to you; before going with higher cost gear. Any thoughts in incorporating Little Pepper on an overnighter? Anyways, the same overnighting idea has crossed my mind quite a few times since my visit to the Mullica River Camp deep in the NJ Pine Barrens. It will sure take this fatbiking to a whole new level.

Chief: All it takes is that one person for life to get turned upside down in an instant. Thinking right now of a young lady there in Philadelphia, just commuting to work on her bike in the city, and a garbage truck squeezes right into her bike lane, running her down and killing her. 20 something she was, with a full life ahead of her when fate intervened.

I like your directness and bluntness in dealing with that driver. Buying the coffee was a great touch and yet he still did not get it. I am sure it gave him much to think about, if he has any conscience or common sense.
    Thanks Mike - hope you can get an overnighter in there too - just really appealing! LilPep is now 15 and unfortunately for Dad less interested in biking - haven't gotten her out there in a while... thankfully she joins me at the gym twice a week so I still get some daddy daughter time. My phase I on the trip is actually camping in the backyard next month and I hope to get both my kids (and my buddies' kids from the trip) all excited about the concept. I would love to bring both kids along at some point.

As for Chief and other's experience - I think you handled it admirably. Frankly, I just stay off the roads as much as possible, but obviously that's not always the case and then I try to follow the same suggestions others have made. My mom's best friend (like an aunt to me) was killed 20 years ago in of all places the Netherlands by a truck driver... always a scary thought when riding around cars and trucks.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I limit my interface with motorized vehicles as much as possible. My ride last night was 7.7 miles in length. Some streets, walkways, canal path, County park and Boro. park. 3.58 miles of this is on local streets most with one way traffic. I have lights both front and rear and the rear is always on when I ride.
    I had high school classmate who was a retired Police officer out riding and was T-boned last year by a little old lady in her car. He is still recovering, he nearly lost his leg due to the damage from the accident. He usually rode in a State park, he got hit traveling home from the park.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by PhdPepper View Post
    As for Chief and other's experience - I think you handled it admirably. Frankly, I just stay off the roads as much as possible, but obviously that's not always the case and then I try to follow the same suggestions others have made. My mom's best friend (like an aunt to me) was killed 20 years ago in of all places the Netherlands by a truck driver... always a scary thought when riding around cars and trucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    Yeah, I limit my interface with motorized vehicles as much as possible. My ride last night was 7.7 miles in length. Some streets, walkways, canal path, County park and Boro. park. 3.58 miles of this is on local streets most with one way traffic. I have lights both front and rear and the rear is always on when I ride. ...
    I really have very few options: I buy vehicles to go places with and I live in a built-up, urban area. I ride street; I'm not a dirt rider. There are a number of dedicated bicycle paths that I take advantage of, but my riding is at the very least 95% on the street with all the other traffic.

My Sumo is fitted with LED lights front and rear, for daylight use they're set to a slightly irregular flashing just to attract attention. It's also fitted with a very piercing, sweet, high quality bell which I find most people can hear even through relatively loud music on their ear buds.

Beyond that, it's up to me to be sure to ride in such a way that preserves my safety. Aside from the few murderous bastids I mentioned above, most people are not trying to hit me ... they just need a bit of waking up so they know when they're doing something dangerous to me. The MBs ... I learned to look for and recognize them early so I can "not be there" when they're barreling through on their deadly way.

G

"Run Foo :: Learn to flee!"

mtbr member
    Due to Valentine's Day and late days (Judging science fair, administrative meetings), I didn't commute in this week, but we have a four day weekend, so I will be out on the big red beast twice this weekend.

Cheers, guys.

Side note: I'm going to get my girlfriend a fat bike. She is always talking about it when she is over. She's a competitive runner, but wants to transition away from running due to injuries.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Due to Valentine's Day and late days (Judging science fair, administrative meetings), I didn't commute in this week, but we have a four day weekend, so I will be out on the big red beast twice this weekend.

Cheers, guys.

Side note: I'm going to get my girlfriend a fat bike. She is always talking about it when she is over. She's a competitive runner, but wants to transition away from running due to injuries.

If I could only get my wife to make the transition...I ride with her while she runs, but I’d love to do some bikepacking with her.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Running is so hard on the joints!

I was never a runner ... Tried when I was in high school and it both hurt so bad and was so hard for me to do that I gave up. As my friends who used to be runners have aged (remember, I'm in the 60+ category, as are many of my friends...), I've noticed more and more of them with serious knee and foot problems too. I've been getting them interested in bicycling now ... fat or otherwise ... as it means they can keep up their exercise and not be hurting all the time.

So go for it, DH! I'd give my brother a fat bike if I thought I could ever get him off his fatalistic fat butt and onto a bike.

mtbr member
    She's hyperfit, so she'll have no issue transitioning. We hike together, so I hope to get her to ride off road with me. On the road is fine for a commute to work, but it's so bland compared to hitting the trails.

I had to run a ton in the police academy and swore it off after I graduated. Not my sport.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    ...On the road is fine for a commute to work, but it's so bland compared to hitting the trails. ...
    LOL! We will disagree on this. I find clawing through trails absolutely boring as sin, which is one reason I never do it, whereas riding on the road is fascinating: I get to see tons of things I'd miss when I'm driving and cover distances/go places I cannot get to on foot alone.

Different strokes for different folks...

mtbr member
    Man, G, that is one weird perspective. Surrounded by amazing scenery, getting a workout no road ride can give you, without traffic or pollution. The road has nothing on that. Urban scenery is blah.

Pretty sure most of us see it that way, but you can be our oddball.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    LOL! We will disagree on this. I find clawing through trails absolutely boring as sin, which is one reason I never do it, whereas riding on the road is fascinating: I get to see tons of things I'd miss when I'm driving and cover distances/go places I cannot get to on foot alone.

Different strokes for different folks...
    Trails don't bore me but I do enjoy riding and investigating place on my bikes that I don't walk or drive to. Drive to New Hope and head north on the canal path is on my to do list this year. But I love riding trough towns and checking things out. Even in my own town I ride the alleys to check out the backs of places. I used to do it as a fire chief too just to see what's there. No surprises.

mtbr member
    I suppose there are city folk and country folk. I can enjoy a city for a good pub, museum or restaurant, but if I could, I'd live far outside of one surrounded by mountains, rivers and wildlife.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I’ve never ridden my fat bike on pavement, so if we’re talking fat bikes, then I’d have to say I prefer riding in the trails!

Riding in general, I prefer the countryside to the city. Although I do appreciate riding in the downtown areas. Lots to see and do.

Overall, I do enjoy mountain biking more than road riding. I like the challenge of working through the tougher trails and just being out And away from everything.
    Last edited by Terry66; 4 Days Ago at 04:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Man, G, that is one weird perspective. Surrounded by amazing scenery, getting a workout no road ride can give you, without traffic or pollution. The road has nothing on that. Urban scenery is blah.

Pretty sure most of us see it that way, but you can be our oddball.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    Trails don't bore me but I do enjoy riding and investigating place on my bikes that I don't walk or drive to. Drive to New Hope and head north on the canal path is on my to do list this year. But I love riding trough towns and checking things out. Even in my own town I ride the alleys to check out the backs of places. I used to do it as a fire chief too just to see what's there. No surprises.
    I suppose there are city folk and country folk. I can enjoy a city for a good pub, museum or restaurant, but if I could, I'd live far outside of one surrounded by mountains, rivers and wildlife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry66 View Post
    I’ve never ridden my fat bike on pavement, so if we’re talking fat bikes, then I’d have to say I prefer riding in the trails!

Riding in general, I prefer the countryside to the city. Although I do appreciate riding in the downtown areas. Lots to see and do.

Overall, I do enjoy mountain biking more than road riding. I like the challenge of working through the tougher trails and just being out And away from everything.
    I've nearly always been the oddball, nothing new there.

Scenery ... Well, I'm a photographer too, and I've been a judge or juror on many exhibitions. Do you know how many sunset photos I see? People say they never get bored by a sunset: I have to say I never get bored by seeing a lovely sunset, but I sure do get bored of seeing PHOTOGRAPHS of sunsets. And barbed wire fences, and pictures of wooded glens, and motion blurred vistas of water at the beach ... To my eye, there are maybe about a half dozen out of a thousand of those kind of photos that make me sit up and take notice.

When I'm riding, I'm not enjoying a sunset or a pretty wooded glen. I'm RIDING ... that means I'm concentrating on what I'm doing. If I'm not paying attention to that, I'm going to be on my butt and maybe hurt in a moment. If what I'm doing is slogging my way up a muddy trail or a gravel road, well, that's work—not fun. It's not quiet: I'm breathing hard, my heart is racing, my adrenaline is pumping me up. When I want to enjoy the sunset or a pretty creek, and enjoy the quiet: I have to stop, cool down, relax, and sit. That's not riding, that's appreciating my surroundings. Same for riding in the city: when I'm riding, I'm very busy working traffic, pavement surfaces, impediments, paying attention to my muscles, the bike, etc. I enjoy that work, on both bicycle and motorcycle! In that effort I do see things ... sometimes things that make me stop for a better look ... but one of the reasons why I so rarely take photos when I'm riding (even though I always have a camera with me) is that I'm not concentrating on making photos then: I'm concentrating on riding and seeing, interacting with my world. I just enjoy that riding world much more than the one that slogs up and down hills, dirt trails, and such. It has more things in it that interest me to see quickly and come back later, on foot, with my camera and gear. It's a lot easier to stop and sit at a cafe with a vantage point for ten minutes or an hour, see and appreciate lots of things, have a nice conversation with an interesting person or a couple of young kids and their parents ... or find the quiet of reading a book or writing a story. And then returning to riding.

I love the country as well as the city ... The ideal place for me to live is like where my friend lives on the Isle of Man: His place is about a mile and a half from a village, bordered on two sides by a horse farm, another side by a sheep farm, and backs onto a wildlife preserve. Each sound is distinct, each sight is unique. I can walk there for hours in total peace and quiet, or ride a bicycle there, yet I can walk to the village in 15 minutes, and catch a bus to a town where there are cafes, theaters, shops, etc, just a few miles away. Even the bus ride is a sensual joy: Riding over the hills and dales, through whatever weather is happening without having to pay attention to the transit itself. That lets me enjoy the world around me—which includes being able to talk with other people as well. I love to walk in the country and the city ... that's when I can see the most, that's when it's quiet, that's when I can be doing something while also appreciating my surroundings because walking takes only a very little bit of my attention.

I like where I live too, near the middle of my little city with plenty of places to walk and ride: a university nearby, a larger city five miles away with theaters and people and shops ... and ten-twenty miles away nice empty wiggly paved roads up into the mountains and big vistas that I can reach with the bicycle and motorcycle easily, the ocean and empty beaches twenty miles beyond that. It's not quite the plot of land surrounded by farms and wildlife park, but there's tons of quiet life here that satisfies those needs.

As I said, different strokes for different folks.

G

mtbr member
    By extension of your photo analogy, G, riding on the road is a still life, perhaps, but riding off road is a peaceful painting in which one is actively involved with the canvas. Call it a Romantic piece, because it celebrates the nature in which the rider is immersed. Riding off road is safer but requires more effort and focus; in the margins, on the peaks and in the valleys, the visual scope rewards the eyes in ways no city lane can.

But yes, different strokes.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    By extension of your photo analogy, G, riding on the road is a still life, perhaps, but riding off road is a peaceful painting in which one is actively involved with the canvas. Call it a Romantic piece, because it celebrates the nature in which the rider is immersed. Riding off road is safer but requires more effort and focus; in the margins, on the peaks and in the valleys, the visual scope rewards the eyes in ways no city lane can.

Wait a sec! Over the years, I’ve had two broken arms, a broken collar bone, a concussion, fractured wrist, broken ribs and a broken thumb...all from off road biking!

All joking aside DH, I knew what you meant!
    Last edited by Terry66; 4 Days Ago at 02:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

I don't understand your analogy at all, DH. How can something which is "a peaceful painting" require "more effort and focus"? Doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Riding on the street is most certainly not "a still life." Considering it as that is a fast way to end up in a hospital. The street is an incredibly fast paced, dynamic environment that requires 100% immersion and concentration to survive in for long, particularly if there's traffic around.

The way I make photographs, regardless of what photographs I make, requires 100% of my concentration and mental focus to produce the kind of results that I'm satisfied with. The same goes for my bicycle riding. And my motorcycle riding. And my driving. And on and on... When I'm shooting still life, I'm working my butt off, same for when I'm photographing a motorcycle race, or doing portraits, or doing street photography. In all these endeavors, I'm 100% committed to the work I'm doing. When I'm doing landscape/nature photography, I'm not wafting about with a camera in my hand snapping the shutter when a butterfly catches my fancy in some idyllic pastoral garden... When I'm doing street photography, I'm watching everything, every detail, looking for faces, expressions, juxtapositions of people, things, buildings, etc.

When I ride my bicycle, I watch the traffic, both near and far, the pavement, look at people walking, houses, buildings, see the sunlight glistening on the field over there and the haze of a bit of water evaporation off the stream in the sunlight. I'm listening to my heart, feeling my leg muscles/back muscles/arms/shoulders all work, etc etc etc.

Immersed in nature? How? Because there are trees around and dirt below you? The mountains are still the mountains, there in the distance, as is the sky; the trees, the fields, the road, the rock, the mosquito... the docks, the walkways, the cars, the people, the shops, the tall buildings... all of these things in the city are there too. I see them all.

We certainly have very very different perceptions about what doing photography... and riding a bicycle... is and what one can see and "be immersed in," DH.

G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Geez, guys!!

Many of my rides involve getting away from anything to do with town. There are many rides that are right in the core of town and are not limited to the equivalent of being on a Schwinn Spinner. No thankya to the "big city" tho'. Any and all opportunities that convert a wide open throttle ride to compose a trialsy moment are taken advantage of when the right conditions are present. Yup, 4.8, 3.0, 2.4 bikes all participate! I'll be doing this in the old age home just the same! At least there, the custodian will be wagging a finger and cussing at me for leaving tire marks in the damnedest of places!

On the photog front, how many photo ops get missed by not using peripheral vision to notice something that would form a great moment in time?
    Yus, I do brake for those opportunities when it works out. Does it take some consideration? Yus, as a matter of fact, it does. I have been very opportunistic in capturing some of my finest images by being spontaneous. It isn't like I happen to be hangin out in a photo studio, I'm hangin out in life in real time, in living color. Opportunist, ya, sure, you betcha!! Multitasking isn't rocket science.

Terry, Fortunately I haven't broken anything yet however, I do have many battle scars from many years of bikes and crashing em! Some of which aren't superficial, such as a spinal compression injury that will haunt me for life. Was it worth it? Yus, as a matter of fact, it was...

OK, gents, it's time to straighten up and fly right!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Wait a sec! Over the years, I’ve had two broken arms, a broken collar bone, a concussion, fractured wrist, broken ribs and a broken thumb...all from off road biking!

All joking aside DH, I knew what you meant!
    I knew you'd understand! I've had a few injuries from mountain biking, but the worst cycling injury I have endured was when I was run off the road as a teenager and ran full tilt into a slump block wall. Broken nose, shattered teeth, fractured wrist, and multiple lacerations and abrasions.
    2016 El Oso Grande

I have done both paved asphalt roads and off road with both fatbikes over the years. Asphalt provides a series of different rides with varying mileages. The usual turnaround points. After a while I have every bump and dip memorized. Routine. I don't consider the towns I ride through scenic or photogenic at all. It's just something to do in order to stay in condition while I plan another ride north on the canal towpaths...or to the south and the New Jersey Pine Barrens Wharton State Forest and it's sugar sand roads.

The Delaware & Raritan Canal towpath or across the river in Pennsylvania, the Delware Canal/Delaware and Lehigh Canal towpaths are special rides. Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter bring different looks to the scenery. In the warm weather months I might run across a snapping or paint turtle on or near the towpaths. Maybe a snake. Various birds, from the songbirds to the birds of prey. The smell of the swamps has a special, earthy smell while the Delaware or Lehigh rivers have a "fresh" smell about them. Up on the Lehigh Canal from Easton to the northern reaches, the numerous Norfolk Southern trains bring thunder to the river valley as they make their climb up grade; then it all becomes quiet again. There is a real sense of past history under my tires as the bike goes over the same towpaths mules once did taking their barges filled with goods to market, some 160 plus years ago.

I'm kinda in "Winter Re-runs here as the crap weather here continues, the canal towpaths too muddy to ride on and another round of snow is coming in tonight.......so, for anyone interested, a photo documented ride from October 2016, a ride from Groundhog Lock, to Allentown, PA, all on the D&L Canal towpaths, starting at Post #2614:Fat Biking and health

Cool to see the fun Surly in Oz, Dr Pepper and Velobike, Tigris99 and Wade were having, off road, as well. And great to read RobertDavid and OldBear posting, too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, well my Man Flu eased up enough for me to have a short ride Saturday morning. Felt great to be back on the bike and not riding to work

Still not a hundred percent so I dug my eldest sons Giant road bike out from the back of the bike rack. Its a great light bike that boogies along with hardly any effort on a flat road. Just what I needed and I picked out a route that was a flat out and back ride of 26kms.

Only had my phone for the mid ride photo stop.

Fat Biking and health-img_3461.jpg

Had it set to a square image for some reason, so you don't see the full vista

The road for most of this ride was a four lane busy main route. And the traffic was humming along, and I had way to many close passes when cars could have taken the other lane to give me space. Unfortunately a lot of drivers here a very aggressive or just oblivious to the feeling of a car passing close a 70 kms per hour.

Like G, I find that on this type of road all my focus is on the road in front of me and the traffic around me. I really don't enjoy this type of riding and will take any back street to avoid it. On quite roads and city streets I love to take as much in as I can, and seeing as I normally ride by myself If I see an interesting scene I will pull over to enjoy it and if the light is good take a few photos.

The Fat Bike/ Mountain Bikes are my way of avoiding traffic and exploring places off the beaten track. As I don't have a car myself when my wife is at work the best way to get to there is by bike. Also you cover more ground than walking and have longer to enjoy any nice spot you find.

I am lucky enough to have different type of bike to cover different ride types. But all of them take me away to beautiful places, my bikes are flat out good for my soul.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Dirt is more soulful. Getting away from traffic, getting away from cars, getting away from people, booze and noise. This is why riding off road is more peaceful. When you stop somewhere, you are surrounded by nature, not humanity and its effluent. I did a city ride yesterday to meet a friend to discuss a business venture. Only 8 miles, but it was anything but peaceful.

Funny thing-when we arrived at our destination, all was mellow. Within an hour, hundreds of bicyclists began to pop up. Pretty soon, we realized an organized bike pub crawl was beginning. Ugh.
    Fat Biking and health-img_20180217_144022325.jpg
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    I’m with you DH. When I ride, I look for solitude. That’s really what sold me on a fat bike in the first place, going places where others can’t or don’t want to.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    DH, with a grin like that, gotsta ask what you did and to whom??

And a bicycle gridlock?? WTF just happened?

OZ... Damn nice photo ops over there! Glad you're getting past the illness and back in the groove!

Mike, hope you can get out and spin a little regardless of pavement or dirt. Snow? Sounds far better than mud...

Chief, be wary of the drivers out there. Anymore, the lack of police snagging errant drivers has been on par with the lack of consequence in daily life.

G, get yourself out there and be safe in your travels. I still wanna take Sumo out for a spin and get a feel of that V8 on a bicycle power of the ebike!!

Terry, we don't call ya Grace for nothing, don'tcha know... Thankfully, I've never broken anything but bike parts although a spine compression injury that occurred in a downhill race many years back will be evident for many years to come! Be safe out there and play in the dirt and snow as much as ya can.

Pepper, keep us posted on how the bags work for ya. Sounds awesome to plan forward with bikepacking trips to come.

Tigris, glad to hear from ya and discover you went incognito on us! Sneaky lil bastage... Good stuff with the pix and good times being had with the friends and family.

Mehlertmj, best of luck getting the better half into the fat thing! Should be good times ahead if she gets hooked. Far better than running due to the absence of pronation and joint impact. The places we can go via fatbike is amazing and awesome.
    Doctor recommended...

3 inches of rain, ice and snow fell overnight and now we are into one more thaw. Walked the D&R Lock 1 towpath up to the I-295 bridge with the puppy. Tire tracks in the snow from hours before my 9 am walk. Gonna take a good week or so of no rain and sunshine to dry out the off road trails.

The 40mm rise Spank handlebar has been on the Fatboy for several weeks now. Can't wait to give it a try and see how it feels.

DH: That's a lotta bikes there! Right with you about the peace and solitude of off-road.

Wade: Yep, kinda itching to get out there. But with this cold we've had, I really don't want to get sick again with bronchitus again. The towpath today was under water in sections due to the ground freezing over, followed by the overnight rain and snow storm. I hope you have able to get some miles in CO. From what you have posted up to now, it seems we have gotten more here in Chief 500/Towpath Traveler country than you have in the Rocky Mountains.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I wrote this (slightly edited) in a private message to BR this morning:
    "... where I differ from what others on this thread seem to be seeking: I have always been able to find personal space and quiet, meditate, even in the thick of things. Although I live with my partner and we do a lot of social things together and separately, I am actually alone a huge percentage of the time, doing my writing, photographs, studying, etc. So when I get out on the bike, although a bit of time on a quiet path all by myself is always nice, I'm really out seeking the world—the human world—rather than trying to find transport into nature.

It's the human world I need to work to interact with. The natural world I find everywhere, all the time. It's there in every blade of grass, every cloud in the sky, every bird flitting on the feeder or in a tree, every cat's eyes... All of it. I can transport my mind to that world in an instant, anywhere, and be alone—I cannot have an interesting conversation with a young man studying the mathematics of fluid flow dynamics or an ancient woman whose skill at needlepoint takes my breath away, or a couple of children who tell me how they perceive things guilelessly and with joy, without being out in the human world seeking them. ..."

I don't need to go out in the desert or deep into the woods to find solitude. I can't go anywhere but into the heart of humanity to find what I'm looking for, and that's not in the desert or the woods.

G

In the midst of downtown with the city all around me, I find the silent moments and live in them.

Shimmer - Cork 2017

Important Call - Cork 2017

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I ride for the same reason I rode when I was 10. I enjoy riding. It really doesn't matter if it is mountain biking on single track, gravel grinding on some forest road or riding through downtown. I just love to be out on my bike seeing the world. That is why it is cool to see all the ride pics on here. To me, they all look like pretty awesome rides...

Mike - let me know how you like those Spank bars. I thought they were perfect for my Fatboy.

Wade - So most of those injuries were when I was young and thought I was bulletproof!

Oz - Finally got my Vaya put back together. Switched from 3x10 to a compact 2x10. Also decided to go with some fairly skinny 28c 4000s tires. Took it out for a test run today. Such a cool bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I ride for the same reason I rode when I was 10. I enjoy riding. ... I just love to be out on my bike seeing the world. ...
    I'm with you on that too. I've been a two-wheeled-person since I was 8.

Nice bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Terry, the Vaya looks fantastic. One day my CC might go 2x or even 1x

One thing I really like about the Salsa bikes is the height of the head tube. Look at your bars at seat height without a stack of spacers.

Compare that to my Monkey.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09348.jpg

I had the steerer tube left uncut to get the bars up level with the seat and I am left with a bunch of spacers. Not the end of the world I just wish Surly would make their head tubes a little higher. Maybe they want to have a point of difference between the two brands.

Not that I need another bike but the new Surly Midnight Special is really my type of bike, again

And looking at the stats and images seems like it too will need a bunch of head tube spacers.

I have my old CC wheels in the shop getting rebuild and I have some Specialised Saw Tooth tyers in 700x42 read to mount up, so that should keep the (need)(want) of a Midnight Special at bay for a while

Hope to see some images of the Vaya on the road soon.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G, a agree with your thoughts, I find beauty everywhere every day. I used to joke with my wife as she waited for me to stop admiring the interplay of light with clouds that I was a member of The Cloud Appreciation Society then I googled it one day only to find its a thriving community of cloud lovers

My writing skills are limited, drawing and painting too, so photography is a medium that I cherish. If I can combine it with my bikes all the better.

Here are a few images taken whilst exploring the city of Canberra on my Brompton a few months ago.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09082-2.jpg

Fat Biking and health-dsc09229.jpg

OZ.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Surly...I do think the short head tubes are a Surly thing. Honestly, that is the reason I switch from a CC to the Vaya. The Midnight Special is a pretty awesome bike. My friend at the LBS has an order in for one. We ride the same size, so he has promised me a test ride on the bike. I think I’d go with the All City Gorilla Monsoon if I were in the 650 road plus market. Similar bike but taller headtube and a pretty cool color. I don’t see either in my new future. Next up is replacing the Fatboy this fall.

Terry: I'll let you know about the Spank bar. That rise just might be the ticket to more comfort when riding.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I've been tied up but thought I would check in on everyone.

all this talk of careless drivers reminds me why I try to avoid road riding as much as possible. I was hit twice in a very short span of time in my late teens and it gave me the yips to be riding around cars. Both events were semi-miraculous in that I wasn't badly hurt. The circumstances of the crashes could have been much worse. My preference of Avoiding roads has been made a little more difficult with the thaw going on. All the Singletrack is closed. Fortunately where I live has a lot of paved and gravel walking/biking trails, so I can still ride with very little automobile jousting. However where I travel for work is less bike-friendly.

My last Singletrack ride was in South Bend, Indiana. The local club was grooming the trail so it was a lot of fun.
    Fat Biking and health-image.jpg
    Now that the snow is melted and the rain has been endless I'm biding my time with cruising around the pavement and beaches.

mtbr member
    Awesome pics, Tex!

Wade, that grin was multi-faceted: Had an incredible Valentine's Day with a ever-increasingly amazing woman, and had just come away from a great business meeting regarding a start-up company I am founding.
    2016 El Oso Grande

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Wut? You found it?

Sounds like good days were at hand.

Tex was tied up, then cut loose in snow and beach and holy smokes, what a variety...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mike- sorry if I missed it but what color bars did you go with? I cut mine down a bit. The trails around here are pretty tight with trees, so I run a slightly narrower bar.

The trails are still mush so no mountain biking. I got in a nice ride on the road bike. First time I’ve brought a GPS along this year. I don’t like to get too hung up on numbers but I was happy with the pace. I’ve had a couple of nagging injuries last two years, so hopefully we’re past that.

FB&H rider
    I've been keeping up with my workday commutes, and a side benefit of riding to work is that I get to ride around post with the bike as well - given how many meetings I go to it saves me 30-60 min a day!

Got my friend up in the snow on the fatty on Sunday and he was grinning the whole time!

He said: "now I know what you're talking about with the fatbikes!"

Fat Biking and health-19-feb-18-dev-snow.jpgFat Biking and health-19-feb-18-andy-snow.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Been off trying to ride the Sumo and my motorcycle... Our long "perpetual spring" here in NorCal has gone, and the temps are chilly at best (mid-40s to low-50s daytime high). I don't mind chilly like that, but gusty wind has accompanied the temps, to the point where it's actually been a little dangerous to be out on any two wheeler for things blowing down, the wind blowing you where you shouldn't be, etc.

The wind died down for a bit today so I pulled on my chilly weather gear and went for a nice ride. It was sunny through the first half of it, a nice stop for a cup of coffee at a local place, and then it was gray gray gray and windy on the way back. Only a four mile ride, but the wind blows right through all my gear and froze me.

At least I got the four miles in.

There are more sensible ways to get around the Urban Landscape when it's cold and the wind is gusting around you! I'll take the car to dinner this evening.

G

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Hi

Hi Y'all!!
    It's me oldbear! I've been too remiss about posting . sorry about that. Most days are spent taking care of Mama bear and riding Blue out in the woods. I see you have all carried on splendidly in my absence. Way over 5,000 posts!!! Huzzah! I am getting ready to move once again. We are buying a nice two bedroom mobile home in a town east of us in a town called Robertsdale. There are plenty of bike paths to explore over there so I can continue on.
    Young bear, my son David lives in the same park we are moving to. He is the one that found our mobile. He has to move Ryback to his place cuz he wants to get back to riding with me.
    I will be more active now that things are stable.. On our health front, I now weigh 230. I am off insulin and feel pretty good. Mama is losing weight and that pesky tumor has shrunk by 2/3. So there you have it. All the latest
    Until late

Oldbear
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

FB&H rider
    Oldbear - good to see you! Glad to hear things are looking up! Hope the move goes well and Mamabear keeps improving!

G, way to go with the bike, but can't blame you for taking the car. :P

It was a fairly cold commute to work today with -2C reading in my truck as I got on the bike. It's supposed to be getting colder all week... may forgo riding until seeing if things get a little better Monday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Terry, the Gorilla Monsoon it a great looking and well thought out bike, I would love one but not sure ifs its available down here in OZ

Looking at the GM set me off on a trail looking for similar bikes. The Bombtrack Hook EXT is an option down here as is the Kona Sutra LTD. Not bikes that I need but look fantastic for the type of riding that I enjoy.

The bike that really caught my eye was the Kona Roadhouse, a nice steel frame great spec and takes a 30mm plus tyre. Never knew about it, and would be my road bike of choice.

Enough dreaming, should be picking up my rebuilt wheels for my CC later this week and with the 42mm Sawtooth tyres ready to mount up it will make the CC even more versatile.

New Fat Bikes down here seem to be thin on the ground, looks like the party is over with most of the big bike brands not showing any listed for sale in Oz. Looking on FAT-BIKE.com I found a link for Muru cycles who sell some nice looking TI frames in OZ. Seems like when the Farley needs replacing that will be the way I go.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice Tex thats some variety of rides you have there. How much longer is the snow expected to hang around.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Pepper great to see you spreading the love. looks like a great day to be introduced to a fat bike.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Oldbear great to see you back, sounds like thing are on the improve with you and Mama. Good to hear you are getting in the miles and hope the new place has some great trails for you.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hello Oldbear,

Good to hear you are on the mend, and your wife too! Battling health issues is worth it no matter what. (Even sweeter when you're winning! ) Good luck with your move, I hope you enjoy your new digs!

This cold snap is putting a cramp in my urge to get out and ride. Today's another cold one ... 38°F now, up to 50°F around 11am supposedly. If it will get up to 55° by 2pm and not be too windy, I'll go for a nice 12 mile ride.

G

---
    1:30pm now ... temps up to 57°F and the sun is shining! No Wind!

I ride!!!
    Last edited by ramarren; 8 Hours Ago at 02:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Well, we got a little muddy today taking down tree stands. I got six miles in doing so, dealing with the mud, snow, ice, and mini rivers from all of the rain we’ve had lately. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180221/92bc45d7f89fbabcb9ae8f6089f9e07d.jpg" width="549">

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Okay, the fundamental problem is that when I'm out for a ride, I'm having way too much fun riding to even think of making photographs.

From my ride today:

Lomo Instant Square photo
    Captured with iPad Pro 9x7

Eleven and half miles of great fun.

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253