Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Hope your Sunday ride is great, even if its not a fatty ride.

Be safe and have a great day to all

mtbr member
    No riding the last couple days; winter has been hanging in here in SE PA. Sunny but cool today. Rain tomorrow in the am so I can get out tomorrow evening (I hope) it's supposed to get up into the 50's for this week.

Hoping Mrs. old bear is doing well and gets an appointment soon. Prayers and good thoughts headed your way.

Its been a tough year so far.

Enjoy the ride when you can get out.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Sorry to hear that, Chief. Hope you are doing well tho'.

OldBear, I hope you let Mrs. OldBear know she has a fan club on the forum!

Best to all.

mtbr member
    I hope momma bear is feeling better.

Rode 70 on gravel today. Was pretty nice out and a great route.
    Last edited by robertdavid; 03-30-2015 at 05:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Hello All!

Went to St. Louis as planned, and we spent four hours just riding the trails at castlewood state park. It was pretty intense for me as I had to get off and walk a couple of times due to some grades. But all in all it was a real good time. Stopped by a BK and had lunch on the way home. I love charbroiled meat. Had a Dr. Pepper cherry vanillia Diet to top things off and made sure we filled up for our hour and a half ride to get home. ]

Mrs. Momma Bear says thanks for all your prayers and concerns. She likes her nick name. I told Sean what his isand he laughed and started saying "i'M YOUNG BEAR!"

Bansheerun I know you didn't ride today because of the Sabbath, bit I hope youget some saddle time tomorrow.

Robertdavid: Sounds like you had a great time. Wish i could get outnand do something like that.

Chief500: I hope you get better as you ride. It's important to remember to set achievable goals at first and expand as you get better.

Tomorrow it's going to be in the low 60's here in beautiful downtown Rolla. and Clear! in fact the first three days are going to see a climb up into the 7 0's.

Until tomorrow..............PEACE

Oldbear, Mrs. Momma oldbear amd young bear. (Fred, Sue and Sean)

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Thanks, Oldbear! Yep tomorrow, Uh today I will get some time on my fatty again!
    And yep, the family has a fan club, alright! Hope everyone is well, especially Momma Bear.

Good stuff lifts the heavy heart during difficult times!

mtbr member
    And I am glad that I can stay on my bike that long. I never take it for granted, that is for sure.

Have a nice week and everyone keep posting. Best thread on this forum. IMHO

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    ^^Agreed!!

mtbr member
    tick, tick tick......waiting to get out of work to climb on and get a ride in.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Damn, Chief! Good for you. hope you have a great ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    tick, tick tick......waiting to get out of work to climb on and get a ride in.
    I know that feeling. Cannot wait to get out and ride when the time comes.

mtbr member
    My fatty problem has been figured out. One of the inboard rear hub bearings was toast. It is a warranty issue. Should be fixed by Friday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    My fatty problem has been figured out. One of the inboard rear hub bearings was toast. It is a warranty issue. Should be fixed by Friday.
    Good news.

Got out of work, got home changed and gone with a smile. It was cool and windy, had to work to get through some soft ground at a lake on my normal loop but it felt OH so good. Lil walk when finished and some stretching.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I cannot wait to get my fatty back on the trail but will make do in the meantime. Just glad I have other bikes to ride or this would be not as much fun. My bike shop is great. They checked everything to find it.

Hope Momma Bear and family is doing well. To all on this thread, stay healthy, have fun, and work to live, not live to work.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Robert, glad you got it sorted! Should be an easy fix.

Good times, Chief!

mtbr member
    Hello everyone:

I am happy to announce the all is well here. I had to undergo a chemical stress test yesterday and everything was good. Momma Bear still hasn't heard where she's going for the test, but, yet the tumor seems to be shrinking.

Going out to Kaintuck today after three. Tom gets off then and my daughter is off as well.

Chief500: Glad to hear you're anxious to ride. You also besafe oout there.
    Robertdavid: Glad to hear tha the creak was nothing major.
    Banshee: Get out and Ride!

Until later..................PEACE
    Oldbear and Family. (
    AKA Fred, Sue< and Sean)

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Thanx for the update, OldBear!

Glad the test results were favorable! Do I detect a family ride coming on?

Doh! I just noticed the "Three Bears" in the sig line! That's awesome!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. I rode easy on the trails today after a fast paced trail ride on my SS yesterday. Hope to have my fatty back by Friday. Cross your fingers. I miss riding it a lot.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    For all of us with disability of some sort, here is a link to a website that is truly amazing.

BlindBikeTrials

This will make us all stop and think!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    For all of us with disability of some sort, here is a link to a website that is truly amazing.

BlindBikeTrials

This will make us all stop and think!
    Awesome stuff. Never ever take this for granted.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    The really important part is that things we think we can no longer do, we can do. we just need to learn that we can.

Matt has done a great job of pointing out that you should never give up!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Rode 2 hours on trail and road today. 29er hardtail ride. Fatty is still sick and in the bike shop waiting for a part. Oh well, such is life.

Everybody have a nice weekend and get out and ride. Loved looking at Matt's stuff. Incredible.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Glad to hear you have a bike to ride while the fatty's in the hospital!

Be safe!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Gorgeous weather here today, in short sleeves while riding. Very winding the first 4+ miles, then down wind the next 6 and then back back into the wind to home. Such a nice day.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you have a bike to ride while the fatty's in the hospital!

Be safe!
    Actually, I have 4 other bikes to ride, from one set up for the road, to gravel, one SS. I figure you can ride a mountain bike about anywhere and have fun and stay fit. It is a sickness. Most of my bikes are 4 to 9 years old. I like what I have and try to keep them as long as possible. I do most of the work on them but this last one was no way right now. Just glad I can do this and feel good.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Good to hear, Chief! Getting out for a ride always makes a day better!

Robert, you have been absorbed by the Borg, uh bike!

I too have a bicycle collective. There are 8 of 'em!

Banshee rune
    KOXX red sky (trials bike)
    Turner Sixpack, stinger, burner xce
    Special Ed enduro expert ss
    Mountain cycle rumble
    And of course the fat 9:Zero:7

It has taken a long time of collecting to bring these together as a collective. Many years.

OldBear, it's your turn!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    Actually, I have 4 other bikes to ride, from one set up for the road, to gravel, one SS. I figure you can ride a mountain bike about anywhere and have fun and stay fit. It is a sickness. Most of my bikes are 4 to 9 years old. I like what I have and try to keep them as long as possible. I do most of the work on them but this last one was no way right now. Just glad I can do this and feel good.
    I Know the feeling. I own a grand total of five bikes. A 1967 Schwinn Paramount road, a 1976 Miyata 710 set up for road racing, A 1947 Schwinn phantom with springer front stripped down back in '64 to what we'd term a Klunker today. my 2014 Gravity Buillseye Mo0nster fatty. and last but not least my 2014 Gravity Deadeye Monster SS.
    I actually broke out the Phantom today and took it for a ride to the store. It's got a sturmy archer two speed rear hub. We used to call them 'kick backs" It also has a much older Brooks saddle my great uncle gave me when I stripped the bike down.It dates from the 20's. I had a ball and felt like a 12 year old again jetting around the trails in our undeveloped tract of land in suburban Chicago. I think if you guys will qallow me to relate a little of my biking history. In the summer when I turned 12 quite a few of the neighborhood kids had taken their stingrays and stripped them doiwn and stole the seats of their older siblings ten speeds. They kept the stock handlebars and just replaced the seats. They had "discovered a series of trails cris-crossing a large tract of undeveloped land that had a huge mound of topsoil on on4e edge by an elementary school. These kids wouldn't allow anyone else to cut across this tract to the Jewel food store or Hornsby's that sat in the southeast corner of it. they would chase you and try to put sticks in your spokes. So my friends and I decided to challenge them to a hill climb up the steep side of the hill. They accepted and the prize was if we won access to the trails without interference from the others. I rode my old three speed Schwinn Traveler and was the first of anyone to ride up and over that hill. But the prize was short lived. the hassles began after about a month later. So we needed to find a way to eliminate their harassment. A neighbor threw out a 1947 Phantom complete with tank, rack springer fork and fenders. I looked at it and sais to myself: "Self, this looks like
    an overgrown stingray." so I took the bike home and aired up the tires and then began eliminating the fenders, rack and finally when My great uncle got wind of what I was trying to do that big comfy tractor seat. My buddies all had these bikes from their older brothers and soon had their own versions. We went to the feild and we again challenged this little 'gang' to a return match of hill climbing. this time all of us made it up and over while only one of them just made to the top. We all proceeded to ride those trails and found out how much fun it was. Of course the "gang ' tried to run us off but those big 26" tires were much faster and could take obstacles much better than those Stingrays. So that was my first taste of riding in the dirt.

Until Later........PEACE
    Oldear and Family.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    OldBear, that sounds so familiar! I remember the days of modifying the old schwinn's both 20" & 26". That's all we had back in the 60's & 70's.
    Funny how. The fat bike kinda takes me there!

Thanks OldBear...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nice story.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    My first bike in the 70 was a 20'' and I remember that it was fun, now my Boris X5 make me remember that bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Nice thread but I don't know how you guys (and gals) do it. I just built up a Pug, and the trails around me are killing me! Off road here in No. Nevada means HILLS---I'm sucking wind like I'm dying. Flats are fine, pavement is fine, but off road??! I'll either be in incredible shape in six months or dead of a heart attack along the trail somewhere!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loneviking View Post
    Nice thread but I don't know how you guys (and gals) do it. I just built up a Pug, and the trails around me are killing me! Off road here in No. Nevada means HILLS---I'm sucking wind like I'm dying. Flats are fine, pavement is fine, but off road??! I'll either be in incredible shape in six months or dead of a heart attack along the trail somewhere!!
    Just increase your time on the bike gradually. Do both street and off road roding. The trails can beat you up if you ride them all the time. The road gives you a great base because you can keep a better cadence and aerobic base. I vary my surfaces as much as I can. Patience.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    What Robert said! ^^ Moderation... It takes time to work your way up. If you can avoid using your car for a quick errand, do it. Any excuse to put on a couple miles is a god one.
    Ride lots! Varied terrain helps greatly, too.

I had to start over after having a massive coronary and heart surgery. In the beginning I felt like a 70's Toyota 4 cylinder with burnt valves. That was the hard part. Perseverance
    has gone a long way toward recovery.

That Pug will bring with it a lotta good times, so ride often as you can and go a little longer as you progress! Again Patience, perseverance and moderation...

Oh yeah, welcome to OldBear's old fart's thread!

OldBear, the collection of bikes sounds very nice! Vintage bikes are awesome!

Today is an office day for me, so when the fatty gets restless, I will hit the local trail. Not much flat ground there but rolling hills are good enough.
    My bike is liking the feel of dirt between its treads!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-photo.jpg  

Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    What Robert said! ^^ Moderation... It takes time to work your way up. If you can avoid using your car for a quick errand, do it. Any excuse to put on a couple miles is a god one.
    Ride lots! Varied terrain helps greatly, too.

I had to start over after having a massive coronary and heart surgery. In the beginning I felt like a 70's Toyota 4 cylinder with burnt valves. That was the hard part. Perseverance
    has gone a long way toward recovery.

That Pug will bring with it a lotta good times, so ride often as you can and go a little longer as you progress! Again Patience, perseverance and moderation...

Oh yeah, welcome to OldBear's old fart's thread!

OldBear, the collection of bikes sounds very nice! Vintage bikes are awesome!

Today is an office day for me, so when the fatty gets restless, I will hit the local trail. Not much flat ground there but rolling hills are good enough.
    My bike is liking the feel of dirt between its treads!
    Well, at 54 I guess I might qualify for the old farts thread. What's frustrating is that I do ride, quite a bit. I have a hybrid that I can take out and go for thirty miles on pavement, no problem. The fattie I can take out and roll on pavement for miles. But off road? On the hills and on sand/decomposed granite and loose rock? I"m out of gas every other time I turn around and there's youngsters out here that don't even seem to be breathing hard!! No, I'm not used to riding off road, this is my first ever 'mountain' bike, but good grief----I hope things get easier soon!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Well, at 54 I guess I might qualify for the old farts thread. What's frustrating is that I do ride, quite a bit. I have a hybrid that I can take out and go for thirty miles on pavement, no problem. The fattie I can take out and roll on pavement for miles. But off road? On the hills and on sand/decomposed granite and loose rock? I"m out of gas every other time I turn around and there's youngsters out here that don't even seem to be breathing hard!! No, I'm not used to riding off road, this is my first ever 'mountain' bike, but good grief----I hope things get easier soon!
    You'll get better, but it can be frustrating at times like you said. Consistent rides, even though short, you'll build up.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    It takes time and patience. after a couple months you will come to the realization that you are doing more. it is progressive getting in the groove.
    I never thought I would be starting over, so to speak. Having gone through some trauma, and reality sets in during the process of getting back
    into life, it's foreign to me. I have to remind folks that I have ridden with for years that I am still rehabilitating. With all the riding lately I have
    noticed improvements well after they have come to be.

Keep it safe and sane so you don't lose interest too.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Way back in the day, when I used to ride a roller trainer all winter, I would have the same experience when I started riding on the road. The friction from the surface you are riding on makes a huge difference. The loose surfaces you encounter when riding off road are conspiring to rob you of forward momentum. I have found this to be even more pronounced with fat tires. Some of it can be offset with tire pressure, but mostly you just get used to it.

mtbr member
    loneviking, keep at it, I'm struggling right now. I didn't do much this winter and I'm paying for it presently. But I keep getting out when I can as much as possible. I have to remind myself that your just starting over and it's gonna be tough for a lil bit. I'm waiting to get into riding shape before I get on a Fatboy I'm looking at. I'll then ride a few and make a decision. I presently riding my Crosstrail which I changed into a 29'er. I also have a Gravity 29'er that I will be selling once I find the fat bike I want .....I think. LOL

I'm typing this as I sit with an ice pack on the outside of my right knee to help reduce the pain I've been experiencing after rides. Some of us are having issues and we'll keep at until it gets better.

Keep pedaling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Heartwarming, informative...Human!

Good Morning and Happy (pre) Easter and/or Passover to Everyone!
    I began reading this thread around 11:30 PM last night and could not stop! From happy, to helpful, to sad and concerned, I was riveted. oldbear52/Fred you are a wonderful and inspiring and kind and just a plain old Good Guy!
    I just purchased a Framed Mini-Sota 2.0 and had hoped it would arrive before foot surgery. Alas, it did not so I have this beautiful Fat Bike staring me in the face each day (so I can sit on it and dream for 3-4 weeks before my maiden voyage)! I've only done a very short test drive on another fatty (Specialized 24") before I ordered the Mini-Sota. I know that may be dumb and not good planning but it is what it is. I'm short and only have a 26.5-27 inch stand over height so after researching thought I better stick with something that would fit me and make my ride safer. I haven't biked for decades and need to get in shape. The draw of a Fat Bike was calling me due to the ever present FUN Factor! As a young gal I thoroughly enjoyed jumping curbs and riding everywhere (as we did as kids because it was the best and only mode of transportation). I've missed that so much.
    oldbear52 has really got me thinking. Get my health in order at 58 and don't waste anymore time.
    He and robertdavid (and many others) proved to me that there are still some exceptionally wonderful and caring people in this world! You all don't know me and I do not know you but this thread is special and I feel it has created a really nice place to visit with "real" people behind the comments.
    I have learned a ton already and plan to keep learning and taking all of the tips and suggestions and advice to heart.
    Thanks Everyone! Happy (and healthy) Riding!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    BeeZoo,

You have found a rare thread indeed. OldBear started something here with goodness all the way. It has been a support group for many.

Now that you have been absorbed, resistance is futile!!!
    Just be patient with your healing process so you can enjoy the fAt sooner.
    I must say, the fat bike does reduce you to a giggly kid again!

Wish you well in healing.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Yeah we've all kind of fallen into the thread. I come back daily to see if there is any news on Mrs. oldbear and hope she is well.

You'll find yourself back here now that you've found it wondering how everyone is doing.

Funny people don't understand the connection you can find via the internet. I'm a member of a surf fishing website that is a true community. We get together, raise money for kids do all kinds of things and it's all through a website like this. I've made a bunch of friends that I now fish with from the site. Ya never know when you run into some one on a ride or trail and ask do you post on any websites, you'll end up meeting people from here at some point.

Welcome BeeZoo and enjoy.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I found myself reluctant to ask about Mrs. OldBear as she will be undergoing quite a surgery. Well here goes!

OldBear, in my routine prayer I prayed for a successful surgery and speedy recovery as well as for the Bears to deal with this difficult time in the family.

We are praying for you and you are in our thoughts!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    BeeZoo,

You have found a rare thread indeed. OldBear started something here with goodness all the way. It has been a support group for many.

Now that you have been absorbed, resistance is futile!!!
    Just be patient with your healing process so you can enjoy the fAt sooner.
    I must say, the fat bike does reduce you to a giggly kid again!

Wish you well in healing.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    Yeah we've all kind of fallen into the thread. I come back daily to see if there is any news on Mrs. oldbear and hope she is well.

You'll find yourself back here now that you've found it wondering how everyone is doing.

Funny people don't understand the connection you can find via the internet. I'm a member of a surf fishing website that is a true community. We get together, raise money for kids do all kinds of things and it's all through a website like this. I've made a bunch of friends that I now fish with from the site. Ya never know when you run into some one on a ride or trail and ask do you post on any websites, you'll end up meeting people from here at some point.

Welcome BeeZoo and enjoy.
    BansheeRune and CHIEF500,

Thank you for the kind words (and I am already wondering how everyone is doing)! Yes, resistance is futile! I will soon be a fat-bike borg! (and welcome it!). LOL!
    I totally agree with the connections made within internet discussion groups. I've met some really great people over the years who are very generous with their talents and time. I totally appreciate that and offer help and share info whenever I can as well. I never want to stop learning and love the human side of these posts as well. It's not just writing in a box on a page. There are "real" living people behind those words and that's important to me.

Mrs. oldbear and Mr. oldbear52 are in my thoughts and prayers as well. I wish for nothing more than good health and happiness for this entire group!
    Cheers!
    BeeZoo (aka Janet)

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Thanx, BeeZoo! This has been one of the most enjoyable threads.

Glad you found it and are enjoying it!

Be well all. I will get out for a fAt time between General Conference sessions today.
    Hope everyone has a great Easter/Passover!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Have a nice Easter Sunday. Get out and ride. I am.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I hope everyone had a great holiday!

I did not ride today because of General Conference. Saturday was a warm day with a ride across town to visit my brother and take a detour on a trail on the way home. During my visit, I helped him out with a couple chores after which, I discovered he had baked 3 loaves of banana bread. We enjoyed a couple slices. My, my was it delicious!

The ride home was a mini adventure on a short trail along the way. The route turned out to be about 15 miles of riding at a good pace. When I arrived home, I checked my bp 115/75 and pulse 85. I think it has to do with the meds I'm on for my heart 'cause I was pedaling a bit more aggressively this time around. Felt great to get out with the fatty for some quality time!

OldBear, how are you doing? I hope all is well. We will be praying for you and Mrs. OldBear.

Robert, how was your Easter ride? Look forward to hearing about it!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I hope everyone is doing well and has a nice week. Rode long yesterday, trails, pavement, and some gravel. The weather was about perfect. Been wanting to do that route for awhile. Glad Bansheerune had a good ride and some banana bread. Nice treat. Hope the Bear Family is doing well along with everyone else.

mtbr member

I have been BUSY

Hi everyone!

I hope you all had a great day yesterday. I have been busy with what seems like endless Dr.'s appointments for Mrs. Oldbear and Myself. It seems that the surgery will happen in June. We heard from a clinic in St. Louis and we have to travel there in late April for a first consultation.
    I have a consult scheduled with an ear nose and throat doctor to address some encapsulated cancer on my right ear. It seems that I might lose about half my ear to it.

Yesterday though I had an epic ride over on the Berryman with our usual crew. We rode it end to end and hada ball. We rode a little more aggresively than usual and I actually kept up. My O2 level stayed at 97% and my heart rate did go up to around 110 at the mid point but after a cool down at the other end it was back doiwn to the mid 60's.

I would like to welcome both Loneviking and Beezoo to our little family You guys will find a group that supports and encourages one another here and don't be afraid to share anything both Fat bike related and not.

SWe are going to try to convert a Schwinn trike for Mama bear into a fat bike. a neighbor threw out his wife's old trike and it's a twentysix inch model. I will put a fat fork on the front and have my LBS build up some fat rear wheels for it. It will be ready after she has surgery and recovers. As she looses more weight I think I will get her a real fat bike. She loves to ride but just can't right now.

Bansheerun: Thanks for your prayers. We really appreciate them.

Robertdavid: Keep on riding. Did you get your Fatboy bacl yet?

until,later.........PEACE
    Oldbear and Family, FRED SUE and SEAN

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Good for you Oldbear52!!!! Glad to hear mountain biking is improving your life! In the end, Mountain Biking is about gettting out there and living! And thats the best ticket to good health!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    OldBear,

Dang, it seems we get something sorted and something else falls apart! I need to check my warrantee, that may be why I'm falling apart! Doh!

Hope you don't lose so much of your ear...Just get rid of that cancer before it gets outta control. Glad to hear you have sorted the surgery for Mrs. OldBear! May the consult etc. go well for her! Make sure you tell her the Mrs. OlsBear fan club offers our prayers and support.

As for turning a 3 wheeler into a Jeep, uh, fAt three wheeler, Killer idea! look forward to seeing pix! Three Bears raid the Berryman trail, film at 11! Glad to hear you are ramping it up for a better workout. How is your weight doing with all the riding? And those #'s, BP and heart rate are doing great! Keep it up, my friend!

And to all, happy Monday!!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Well, some Bears had an epic weekend ride.

Glad to hear you have some stuff sorted out as to dates even if it isn't fun stuff. At least it gives you something solid so you can plan and prepare mentally for it. Still it sucks.

Well, I rode on pavement today due to early day rain. Fatty is still waiting for a part. Bike companies take their time getting stuff to the shops.

Have a good week and keep the posts coming. I am hoping to do either a 4 or 6 hour race in two weeks if the weather will cooperate. Also found a 6 hour series that has a Fat Bike division. Sweet.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm

Robert,

Glad you had a ride today, even if it was pavement! Sorry to hear the fatty is still in the bikespital. Hope you get it back soon so you can maintain the fAt!

Today I had an adventure on the deer trails, exploring the nearby hills.
    Warm, sunny and a couple deer caught me poaching their trails!Fat Biking and health-img_0211.jpgFat Biking and health-img_0209.jpg

Good times!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Great pics and that bike looks super nice.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Thanks Robert! It sure is the fun ride of my new childhood! Still need to change it back into it's summer shoes tho', just been lazy about it cause it's toobless.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Pavement ride again today. Saw a road biker down on the greenway. Hit some mud and whammo. He was okay but glad he was wearing a helmet. Road with him until he was okay. I think he called someone to maybe come get him. Pavement riding is okay but when you hit the deck it is gonna hurt.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Glad he was ok thru that! Even hitting the dirt is going to leave a mark.

Had a good trail ride today with a friend. Lotsa singletrack with a soft powdery dirt layer on top of hardpack. Kicking up some dust with a fatty brings a big grin out!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nice bike, love the wildlife shots.

Glad to hear the fellow biker was OK. As an ex-EMT/ FF I stop to help whenever I see someone in trouble. It's my nature.
    Trails or road, bouncing is no fun. I ride both because of the urban area I live in and don't have the time to drive to trails after work.
    No ride yesterday, I got my first tat and my wife took her Dad to the hospital for some minor issues. He was admitted which we expected. I need to have a discussion with him. He's a hard headed ex-FF too (he's 82) so we can talk things out without any BS.

Keep pedaling.
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 04-08-2015 at 08:11 AM.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Hey Chief!

hope everything works out for ya.

Finally broke down and put the summer shoes on my bike yesterday. Out for a short ride in the dirt. Good times!

Fat Biking and health-img_0217.jpg
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Down 5 lbs in 9 days! Still got a 4 to go to hit what i was last fall and then keep on with the downward loss. Easy to lose the winter weight, its the old weight that's a b*tch. Just got a Farley and its a work out for sure! I commute 23 km a day, alot of its along the river where the single track trails are so this coming winter will be great! studded my old 98 schwinn moab and had to take a longer route that was all pavement and got bored and only made it to Christmas.... I need full time contacts, the fogging was driving me bonkers and i was burning threw my daily disposables for snowmobiling like crazy. Tried OTG scotts with a fan and still no luck.

Heres some pics from my commute yesterday, got some nice spring snow!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-11150536_10153176605503948_6320725775844332504_n.jpg  

Fat Biking and health-11112721_10153177873598948_8628943580250789182_n.jpg  

Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I heard that hanging out with Mr. Farley tends to do that!

Now that you have a fatty to go on adventures with you'll meet your goal. Not to mention every ride with a fatty is in fact an adventure!

Welcome to OldBear's thread, it's a fun place!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    She's back from the bikespital.

Fat Biking and health-0408151801-00.jpg

They opened up the local trails. Little slick in places but I had a great ride out there. Dang, I missed riding this bike the past two weeks.

Now, that is over with. How is the Bear family doing? I see that Bansheerune is wanting to go faster this summer with those new 4.0 tires.

I may keep the Ground Controls on there because I am too lazy to swap them out and I think they may do okay. Of course I may change my mind. If I do chaching goes the bike shop register. LOL

Usually I am not lazy about doing stuff like that. Too many bikes to take care of, I guess.

mtbr member
    Good job solarplex, keep at it. the weight will start to slide off.

robertdavid, congrats on getting the bike out of the bikespital. I'm sure you had a smile of yer face today.

No ride for me today, worked late, visited my FIL in the people hospital, he's doing good. Hopefully he gets out tomorrow. Cold, rainy, just plain nasty here today. Same for tomorrow. Dr appointment for me tomorrow, getting the knee checked and a shot which should help with my riding I hope.

Hope the oldbears are doing well.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Glad you sprung your bike from the joint, Robert! Wait, HED wheels on that bike???O.O Tasty!!!
    Reunited and it feels so good!!! Bet that was the ride you've been longing for the last 2 weeks!

The GC's are rather heavy I found when I was looking for a tire that will last a little longer than the Surly's with the 42a rubbuh! Went with the D5's for the air volume. Tomorrow I will go to the lbs to pick up a pair of Knard 26x3.0's for My Turner SixPack. Thank God they are 1/2 the weight of the ole Gazzalodi's. Those tires just suck down the sandwiches.
    It should increase the fuel economy nicely! Pix to follow.

BTW: Those GC's should be good to go, lest you are taking your bike to Jenny Craig!!

Good luck with the knees, Chief. Hope the weather starts cooperatin' soon!!
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Hello all!

Didn't do a real ride today, but did ride my bike for some errands. It was rather chilly early on today. The afternoon was nice tho'.

This Saturday will be a group ride at an multi use trail system located near the town of Rifle. It should prove to be good riding with dry and warm riding. I am torn on which bike to take, as I received the Knard 26x3.0's for My SixPack today! The excitement if getting them on my bike and taking a 10 minute ride on 'em was a jones I haven't experienced in a while. Now I have to get after it and get used to the bike all over again 'cause I haven't ridden it since before the heart attack. Oh my, how small tire bikes differ from the fatty!

OldBear, you've been quiet again, Hope you are ok and just busy. Looking forward to hearing about your new bike when it arrives!
    The Bears are in my thoughts and prayers!

Robert, Hope you have some news on a ride with the fatty for us! Glad you gotter back!

Chief, did you ride today??

Solar, how's the riding going??
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    No ride for me the last few days (Monday was last) FIL is in the hospital, the rest of my wife's family has the dry hacking cough and can't go to visit so I'm on that duty for a bit. He's doing good, some issues, but good. Weather has been cold and rainy here in SE Penna. Thunderstorm this morning, I WILL ride this afternoon prior to a hospital visit. I'm still collecting funds (selling off extra fishing gear) to get near the fat bike I'm looking at. Still need to get in shape to ride it before I'd buy.

Old bear a lil report for us please.

I hope everyone gets out this weekend, supposed to be nice.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Chief,

Sorry to hear! Hope the hospital stay is short and healing is speedy!

As for riding...get out there if the weather will oblige. Go buy that fatty, it'll motivate you greatly!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Chief, Hope your FIL is getting better. Hospitals are no fun.

I rode my fatty for the 3rd day in a row. Tomorrow is a no ride day for me. Work is longer and my body needs a day off from riding. Hope all have a nice weekend. Old Bear and family, how about a shout out when you can.

Will do my usual longer Sunday ride and then watch the final round of the Masters Golf Tournament with my mom. Hey, we've done it for so many years I have forgotten how many. It's a tradition unlike any other.
    I used to play a lot of golf and a few amateur events. Love the game but mountain biking became all I wanted to do for recreation.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Here is the Turner with his new pair of Chucks!!

So far they seem to perform well. It's pseudo fAt!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-image.jpg  

Fat Biking and health-image.jpg  

Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Banshee, your country looks a lot like mine. Here's one from riding a powerline road this last Wednesday.

Fat Biking and health-bike-powerline-road.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    There is some similarity! Nice Pugz!

[QUOTE=loneviking;11896611]Banshee, your country looks a lot like mine. Here's one from riding a powerline road this last Wednesday.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Got one in this morning. This is near the end of my ride.
    Fat Biking and health-img_0523.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Chief, where is the location of your pic?

Another adventure with the fAtty today! Out in the dirt with friends for the afternoon made for a great day. Wasn't feeling as energetic as I would have liked. Still a great time tho'.

Here's a pic from riding the washes on the valley floor...Damn, really wanted to ride under the arch!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-img_0220.jpg  

Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pics. Glad you both had a good time. Hope I can ride longer tomorrow. No ride on Saturdays for me. My body thanks me for it.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Hey Robert,

Sorry to hear of no ride Saturdays.

How is the fatty riding now that it's outta the bikespital? Hope you have been getting out and riding strong! I'm pooped after todays adventure!

OldBear, I hope everything is going well. We are having withdrawl without the usual adventure report. I'm sure you have been busy getting things sorted for Mrs. OldBear's up coming surgery. Thoughts and prayers...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    BansheeRune, that is the southern end of the Delaware Canal in Bristol PA.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Sure is gorgeous!

No excuse to not ride there I suspect!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Loving the fatty and missing Saturdays is part of the deal called work.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive. I do get a little concerned when FredOldBearPeace doesn't post.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Robert,

I know that 4 letter word quite well, being a business owner...

OldBear is AWOL, and it's concerning...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think we're all on the same page wondering how things are with the old bear family.

Banshee, that's home too.

It's flat, but scenic. I do a loop that gets me onto the canal path a few miles north of home and get the pedal it into town. Working to get back into riding shape since I didn't do enough this winter. Knee felt MUCH better after yesterday's ride and looking forward to today's. Waiting for the temp's to rise a little since we had a frost warning last night.

Oldbear how about a post today to let us know things are OK.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Chief,

Flat riding is great conditioning. Don't be too hasty about working your way back. It takes time. Put a little more effort into it from time to time. ramp it up over time tho'.

I think the truancy officer is on the lookout for our missing OldBear!
    Hope the Bears are well...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Yep, well aware of the time it takes. I'm training for a ride that the Phillies are having on May 25 it's 25 miles thru Philly so that will be fun. Gonna ride with friends and my daughter so no hurry or need to pile on miles. Working presently to get my knee under control and my ass used to the saddle again.

What a beautiful day to ride today. Enjoy.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Bike seats are a challenge for sure! Trying different ones to find one that works can be difficult.

Keep it up Chief!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Flat riding requires constant cadence. I think it can be harder than up and down sometimes. I hope OldBear is okay and is just testing our ability to handle stress.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I too enjoy some flat riding because it keeps a constant cadence, indeed!

OldBear is hiding from the truancy officer!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    It's been a week and no oldbear, getting pretty concerned. I hope all is well with him and the family.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Chief,

Sent him a pm, no reply as of yet.

Hope you have been riding!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I read this thread when it was first posted, and hadn't come back.
    I'll be honest, I'm not much for talking about personal stuff over the internet.
    BUT - this is more ride report then the rest of the fat forum combined.
    Good on you guys and thanks for taking the time to post some photos!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    We are very ride orientated, indeed! We have had wonderful things happen in life, like heart attack. So, yep, every ride is a blessing and adventure. For instance, my cardiologist prescribed a fat bike and now let me off the hook from cardiac rehab if I ride 4 days a week for 1 1/2 hours each ride. Where do I sign up for that was my response! So I bought a bike for my birthday and for rehab. Now the fatty is my daily driver. Nope, can't get enough!

Thanks for the comment Tfinator...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Yeah I've been riding, everyday since Saturday, easy day yesterday. I try to bump it a lil today since it's nice out again. Rain due Friday, not that it stops me but I like getting a rest day in now and then.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Sounds like progression, Chief! Get after it...

Last Saturday was my most strenuous ride to date! Felt good to get in a "good ride" for a change. It has been a year as of the 10th, and it has seemed like I hit a plateau for a while. Now it is progression again, thank the Lord! It was a long enough ride to leave my gas gauge on "E" tho'.

The truancy officer is on the lookout for OldBear! Hoping he and his family are well.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    anyone out there? anyone riding? ANYONE???

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mornin' Robert!

I have been kinda lazy this week. we've had high winds, rain and chilly weather this week, so my rides have been short.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I've been out everyday since last Friday. Ahead of last years mileage and starting to feel good. The butt is just about used to the saddle again so I can add time. I may get out today but definitely looking forward to tomorrow's almost 80 degrees.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    You're killin' me Chief! 80??? Enjoy!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Yeah 78 tomorrow, cooler and rainy this morning, a lil cooler Sunday and nasty on Monday. I get a few in today I hope. I add a mile for you.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Doh!

Frigid with rain today, might have to hit the street instead of my favorite haunts.

OldBear, where are you? Scooby snacks!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I rode 16 miles of Single track late yesterday afternoon on my single speed. I hadn't ridden it in about 3 weeks so it was feeling kinda left out. Had to drive 45 minutes each way to get to Montgomery Bell trail because it is the only one around that is open and actually dry enough to ride. Will be a rainy road ride tomorrow. Oh well, that is why I have rain gear. Okay, OldBear, please let us know how things are going, good, bad, or indifferent. Banshee and Chief, have a nice Sunday and I hope you have better weather than I expect to have.

mtbr member
    What a day, 80's sunny, nice breeze. Had to take the in-laws dog (Suzy Q) to the vet this morning with the wife. Got back around 11 and got out for a 13 mile ride. Really beautiful out. Got back and cut the grass and straightened out the yard. My daughter took my single speed out for a few this morning too.
    Looking forward to tomorrow morning's ride.
    Enjoy the weekend.

Oldbear, how about a lil report please. Hope all is well with you.

mtbr member
    Doh!

Frigid with rain today, might have to hit the street instead of my favorite haunts.

OldBear, where are you? Scooby snacks!
    Scooby snacks? Yum!
    Sorry that's been awhile but I am going thru the wringer. I went to an Ear nose and throat Doctor to have my right ear checked because I have a sore that just won't heal on it. It is skin cancer. I have had a cat scan and hopefully it hasn't spread to the INSIDE of my ear. But the Doc says it doesn't look like it. but i do have to undergo inpatient surgery to have half of my ear removed. That will happen sometime in the next three weeks. So I've been depressed and actually feeling sorry for myself. Finally I just thought to myself...self what the hell is wrong with you?: you can't hear out of that ear anway so what's the diff? plus Mama bear had enough of a gloomy gus and kicked me out of the house and made me go for a long ride with Tom up on the Berryman. They only thing is now i ride with sun screen o n my ears.
    Now for some good news. I just received my new bike this week. Yup I got my gloss black Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro. Changed the tires off the other bike and took that one on the "getout of the house"trip to the Berryman. I love the Bluto!

Until tomorrow (I promise) ......PEACE

Oldbear and family...( Fred, Sue and Sean)

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your ear. Glad to finally here from you. Thanks.

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast