Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 384445464748
Results 4,701 to 4,787 of 4787
    Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    At least Pepper has some friggen snow!!

It's gonna be a dismal Global Fatbike Day around here! Not a stitch of snow and temps in the 50's. :/

Pepper, G can tell ya from experience that persistence and perseverance pay dividends based on investment! With your riding bringing better condition over time and great patience, you're doin great! Moderation and some sprints thrown in for good measure, you are seeing results.
    With my recovery from heart surgery, I felt like my V8 was swapped for a 4 cylinder with 4 burnt exhaust valves! The silver lining was the improvement I noticed with each ride. It was 2 months following that the cardiologist gave me the green light to ride as I was able. I chose a mountain climb near the house that is a steep persistent grind. around 1200' elevation over 1.5 miles. I was dumb founeded when I made the top in less time than prior to surgery and didn't feel outta breath and energy.
    I since have named that "test ride" Heartattack Hill!

30 and I'm riding in shorts and a hoodie! Closer to 0 and I'll be in a pair of winter tights and my 7 oz. fill down anorak!

Damn it! With GFBD being so friggen warm, I won't need the pogies that my friends wife made... They are very nice with a bicycle print fleece lining! How kewl is that?
    Poerhaps, I oughtta head to AZ and ride with DH and get in trouble where it's still summer...

Keep an eye on www.fat-bike.com for their reports from all over the planet on the GFBD fun that goes on!

And a great big thankya goes out to Gomez for producing and maintaining the website dedicated to all thangs fAt!!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Pepper! Great ride! And also great to hear that you too are feeling the improvements from biking.

This morning is the final installment of "restoring the car to normal" ... the rear tires I ordered arrived yesterday so the car is now at the shop having them installed. I walked a mile or so to the local breakfast cafe. When I went to leave this morning, I noted that the outdoor temperature was under 40°F, at which point I generally want a full jacket rather than just a vest. I reached in the closet and pulled out a jacket I bought in 2011 when I was visiting the Isle of Man ... I remember it was always somewhat snug, but it was the largest size the shop there had. Well, it now fits with some room to spare. Half of my T-shirts also fit like tents now. Damn, I'm going to have to get a whole new wardrobe soon!

Problems like these are very welcome...!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I'm going to get out on some kinda ride for GFBD ... it's unfortunate that this weekend also coincides with a burial at sea ceremony on Saturday and a memorial event Sunday afternoon for a friend who passed away last month.

But ... riding in shorts at 30°?? You must mean 30°C because 30°F would numb my boys a bit too much to be comfortable. =8^O

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    I'm going to get out on some kinda ride for GFBD ... it's unfortunate that this weekend also coincides with a burial at sea ceremony on Saturday and a memorial event Sunday afternoon for a friend who passed away last month.

But ... riding in shorts at 30°?? You must mean 30°C because 30°F would numb my boys a bit too much to be comfortable. =8^O

G, sorry to hear of your loss. Best wishes and prayers, my friend!

Now that Omar the tentmaker is happy that you're happy, you've reached a milestone that in the beginning seemed very distant. Congratz, Dood...
    Wut, your car was abnormal??

Since there is no baseline in my limited senility, degrees F... With humidity at or below 20% temperatures feel very different.

Gonna try to hit Hubbard Mesa for GFBD since snow is only available in Canadia! Dammit, Alex isn't sharing...
    Doctor recommended...

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    Nice ride report, Dr Pepper!

Surly In Oz: Sorry to hear about your bike damage. Hope she is up and running soon.

G: Since you insist on riding with 0 power, send me that Bosch battery. I will attempt to trade it in on a Yamaha battery, thereby giving me a spare.

Wade: Now it seems; according to the latest computer models, that cold temps are due for December, versus the reported higher than normal temps forecasted back in mid November. So who knows, maybe you'll get that snow soon.

DirtyHun: Agree on less complications with our vehicles. Cars are not as fun to play around as they once were when I was younger.

On another note, I was very saddened to learn that the bike shop that laced up my Schmidt Son28 dyno hubs on my Trek Soho DLX and Specialized Fatboy are no longer in business. A complete shock to pass by the shop, BicyclePro in Bordentown, NJ, completely emptied inside. I wish I could have given them more of my business. These are real people with real dreams dashed because of the state of the state we live in here in NJ (NJ and it's high taxes are well known for being bad for business) and of course, the internet which does so much damage to these shops. But not even the internet business's are invulnerable. A Brooks distributor I dealt with recently closed shop on the 'Net and a business that sold me the Dyno hub for the Fatboy had to downsize his operations. But knowing all of this, I know my paltry purchases there would not be enough to flip the deck that was stacked against them here in NJ. All the same, my heart really goes out to these good people who put everything they had on the line and lost out.

Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Sad to hear of another shop going under. In the camera world (one of my other OCD entertainments), I've watched brick&mortar places go from "a bit too many" to "practically none at all" over the course of my lifetime. It's very sad—small shops used to be the lifeblood of the camera trade where you could meet and converse with knowledgeable folks and see things in the flesh that you'd never otherwise get a chance to handle. All gone.

Be that as it may, you ain't gettin' my battery. No sir, no way. ;-) I love the balanced mix of powered and non-powered operation Sumo affords me, even if I use the power sparingly, and won't give it up.

I'm on my ride, stopped for a cup of coffee. It's 60°F out at present, and pretty dry; five degrees colder than this and I'll pull on my sports long pants. 30°? No way, Banshee!! Yeah, I'm a wimp ... My knees and boy bits complain too much otherwise, never mind my fingers and ears.

Thanks for the kind wishes. Warren was a goofy guy and a big "get people together" kinda motivator. I wasn't so close to him but my partner and Warren and his partner, Horacio, did a lot of stuff together (stuff that isn't my thing, like Disneyland trips and such). We all did a lot of things together beyond that. He died quite suddenly of a massive coronary infarction ... nothing that Horacio or the EMT could do to stop it. Sad, he's much missed in the community. Warren was about ten years younger than I am...

Stuff like that gives you pause. Carpe diem! Do not waste time, you only get so much and you can never go back and do over. I hate seeing any friends die, but younger people in particular. He was the second this past year, truly a terrible year...

Onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Horace had a vital point with the carpe diem theme in his poetry, and we should all be doing more, complaining less, and living harder while we still can.
    2016 El Oso Grande

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    G, I had the opportunity to learn first hand what that story tells. As HD stated above, better live life to its fullest while we can.

Now you know why Sarge, the Mayor and Aisan get attention daily! Cause they need a ride, playtime and a hug!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    My ride yesterday ran 12 miles at a quick pace, again about half entirely human powered. I can tell this because the estimated battery capacity for a 12 mile ride on ECON mode only dropped by 4-5 miles.

No stiffness or soreness after that blast, so the previous day's stiffness and soreness was likely caused by almost two weeks off the bike while I was traveling...

Warren's folks arrived in town for this weekend's services so we had a small, casual dinner with them last evening. As I'd hoped, they seem fine people and we had a good bit of fun joking and telling stories together. This is as it should be: it's what the dead would prefer to be doing anyway. Pay your respects: Grieve and honor the dead properly—remember them in the joy and noisy brilliance of life, not in the dark silence of the tomb.

I hope people do that for me when I depart.

Only in silence the word,
    Only in dark the light,
    Only in dying, Life;
    bright the hawk's flight
    on the empty sky.

- "The Song of Ea" by Ursula K. Le Guin

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    G, the celebration of one's life is of great importance. Yup, there is the sorrow and all that jazz. After all of that is passed, we move along with memories of how that person touched our lives and brought much to us that will remain for our lives. During the time we have, we do not realize the indelible impression that one day will be discovered.

Glad you and Sumo were out for a little solace and fresh air!

Happy Global Fatbike Day, peeps!! 58 today :/ no snow!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone GFBD has dawned down here with sunshine and a beautiful breeze blowing. Which is nice as after my boast the other day to Pepper about the how good the weather is down here, yesterday I rode home from work in freezing cold heavy rain. Cold being relative though Thats what you get for shooting your mouth off

Mike the bike will be fine I was looking for any excuse to change it to a 1x setup. I sort have told the wife that there will be a bill showing up on Thursday, just did not say how much

A shame about losing a LBS Mike, it's a tough business to be in. I throw all my business to a few in town and encourage everyone to do the same. Internet prices can be cheaper, but supporting a local business that employees young kids and gives them a start in life is better than saving a few dollars here and there.

And I worked for Kodak for nearly twenty years G and was there when we turned off the the lights. Worked with a great bunch of people and had many valued customers that I helped find their feet in photography. That type of interaction I really miss, as selling someone the right camera for them and seeing them grow as a photographer was very rewarding.

G yes we should cherish everyday and remember our departed friends and family fondly. They always live in us...

OZ.

Surly In Oz: The photos you see of my rides are courtesy of a Kodak digital camera, a Christmas gift going on a few years now. 6 mega pixels which I guess is not much these days; but it does the job and I am happy with it. I saw where Holden ran the last Monaro off the assembly line and with it, Australian automobile manufacturing went silent. What a sad turn of events. I think, what are these workers to do, now? As a kid, I saw the same thing when the steel mill in town went cold forever, throwing thousands of men who knew nothing else, left to fend for themselves. My Dad was one of those workers. Now, onto Saturday's Ride Report

Saturday's Ride Report

Destination: Washington Crossing, NJ State Park, up the Delaware & Raritan Feeder Canal Towpath to Bulls Island NJ State Park. Crossed Pedestrian Suspension Bridge to Lumberville, PA and the PA Canal, northbound to Uhlerstown, PA, crossing back over the Delaware River into Frenchtown NJ and the D&R Canal State Park towpath, southbound to Washington Crossing NJ State Park.......

Distance: 45.9 miles
    Average Speed/Max Speed: 11.9/17.1 mph
    Odometer: 3790 miles
    Battery Percentage Left/Battery Estimated Miles Left: 7%/3 miles
    Weather: Sunny to Mostly Cloudy at end of Ride. 49 Degrees, Cold, Little to no wind.

Notes: Haibike Full FatSix........Used STD power setting to Bulls Island, switched to ECO power setting to Frenchtown, NJ then a combination of ECO and STD to get back to my truck at Washington Crossing..............Cold day, very little bicycle traffic on the towpaths compared to the warm weather months............Tire Pressure 20 PSI for the hard pack towpaths..........wore my cycling shorts but dressed up good with a Tee shirt underneath a long sleeve compression shirt underneath a long sleeve cycling/running shirt underneath a sweater underneath my Columbia vest.........wool hat under my cyclng helmet.........wise decision as the sun started going down, the temperature began to drop quickly........Heavy frost this am prior to the ride, Super Full Moon tonight..........For long distance battery economy runs, the Yamaha system, when run in ECO can really knock down some serious mileage numbers. Of course, you are putting more pedal effort versus the higher STD and HIGH power settings.......

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    From the Thanksgiving road trip to Houston:

Enjoy! G

mtbr member
    I rode Friday, the trails were muddy so I took a ride across the top of the dam and to the beach on the west side of the reservoir. It is on the other side of the lake from the trails. The beach was completely unoccupied (except for seagulls). I missed the GFBD ride because my son had a tournament that took all day. I suppose I'll need to ride every day this week to make up for it.
    Fat Biking and health-image.jpgFat Biking and health-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Nice photos, ..texmex!

I too missed riding yesterday completely ... the event I had to attend consumed the ENTIRE day, not just the morning. Ach, such it is.

G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tex that looks like real fat bike country, weather looks nice too.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Hi everyone just brought a new bike...

Hi everyone watched the GCN Youtube channel over the weekend and they have run a great series on the World Bicycle Relief charity.

Really highlighted the great work that WBR do and made me reflect on my own spending habits on bikes for myself the last few months. So today I brought another bike this time it will go to someone who's life will be changed by receiving it. For $195 Australian its not too much to ask.

See as we all like bikes and understand the positive changes one can make, for me its a great charity to support.

Don't want to sound to preachy but if you can take a look into it and maybe change someones life for the better this Christmas.

Good riding.

OZ.

FB&H rider
    Epic ride as usual Mike!
    Tex, ONE DAY I will ride on the sand/beach.
    Banshee, hope the GFB day was ok anyway

Sat ended up being out of town all day, but got a wonderful snow ride in yesterday to make up for it. Only about 4 miles, but nice easy cruising through about 4-6" of snow was so relaxing!

Wore my Salomon snow boots for a short ride and will try them this Friday when I ride the ~20 miles to work; it seems a feasible solution to longer rides in the cold. I also wore my full face helmet which was nice and toasty, but I think my regular bike helmet with a beanie and neck warmer should be fine most of the time.

Fat Biking and health-03-dec-17-dev-handoff.jpg
    Ready to roll!
    Fat Biking and health-03-dec-17-michaya-parka.jpg
    LilPepp didn't ride, but looked so cute I had to add this one
    Fat Biking and health-03-dec-17-growler-headtube.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-03-dec-17-growler-tree.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-03-dec-17-scenery2.jpg
    Purty stuff!
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi everyone watched the GCN Youtube channel over the weekend and they have run a great series on the World Bicycle Relief charity.

Really highlighted the great work that WBR do and made me reflect on my own spending habits on bikes for myself the last few months. So today I brought another bike this time it will go to someone who's life will be changed by receiving it. For $195 Australian its not too much to ask.

See as we all like bikes and understand the positive changes one can make, for me its a great charity to support.

Don't want to sound to preachy but if you can take a look into it and maybe change someones life for the better this Christmas.

Good riding.

OZ.
    Very cool!
    Great job! Yes, during this season it is often a reminder and an opportunity to not just give to our loved ones, but also to others who may not have someone to give.
    Certainly warms my heart to be able to help others, and even more to see my kids excited about doing the same.

Surly in Oz: A wonderful, worthy venture!

TexMex: Great photos!

Dr Pepper: Great photos that really capture that mood after a new fallen snow. And just the right amount of snow to make the ride not too hard, by the looks of it. The full face helmet and goggles looks to be an excellent idea for winter riding, especially when the wind is blowing hard.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I haven’t ridden any bike let alone my fat bike in over a week. I was off on Drs orders for a few days and then other commitments.

On the bright side. I did manage to swap out the white rim strips on my Fatboy with a nice blue. Also started tearing down the Vaya for winter maintenance. Plan to service the XT hubs and replace bearings. I’ve retired the Vaya from touring, so I plan to swap out the 3x10 shifters to internally cable routed 2x10 shifters. Just trying to decide on the gearing for the new crank.
    Last edited by Terry66; 1 Week Ago at 08:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    No time for a ride all weekend, sadly, but looking forward to a ride this afternoon.
    I hope all'y'all had a good GFBD!

I rode the motorcycle to one of the memorial events this weekend. Too short a ride but it was good to be on two wheels. Parking there is limited: motorcycle or bicycle help out.

G

--- later edit ---

Blecch. I had a lunch in Cupertino with friends that I took the motorcycle out for, with the notion I'd do my bike ride after. Well, while lunch was great, the weather turned over the course of that hour and a half. Incredibly gusty winds hit me on the way home after lunch. I came straight home, blown all over the road a couple of time, parked Racer, and decided that the wind was too nasty to take a bicycle out in. I hope it's a little less miserable tomorrow..
    Last edited by ramarren; 1 Week Ago at 06:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Just bought my 8 year-old nephew a totally cool DK BMX bike (his first truly excellent bicycle). Love the thought of him getting into riding with his mom and dad.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Monday ride in Ohio:
    Fat Biking and health-image.jpg
    Tuesday ride in Lansing Michigan:

mtbr member
    What stem are you running, TexMex?
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    A cheap, short, red one hahaha! Seriously, I needed to get a different stem when I changed the bars so I went on Amazon. Wasn't sure how long I should go, but I am happy with my guess. The brand is Wake.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    That is a sweet looking little stem, Tex! Dammit! all the opportunities you have been afforded cause your employer wants you to share pix from everywhere, USA with us...

Good stuff.
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011

Those dirt jumper stems are kinda kewl.

www.straitlinecomponents.com These guys make some very nice stems and offer colors.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    That is a sweet looking little stem, Tex! Dammit! all the opportunities you have been afforded cause your employer wants you to share pix from everywhere, USA with us...

Good stuff.
    It's funny you should say that because I was just thinking about it. This trail I rode today (Anderson Park, Lansing) was the first one I did when I started this job a year ago. So 40+ trails and thirty pounds later I'm still at it. I'm pretty lucky, for sure.

Fat Biking and health-image.jpeg

mtbr member
    Those dirt jumper stems are kinda kewl.

www.straitlinecomponents.com These guys make some very nice stems and offer colors.
    Ouch! For a good balance between price and quality, I'll probably get a red Azonic Baretta II.
    2016 El Oso Grande

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    It's funny you should say that because I was just thinking about it. This trail I rode today (Anderson Park, Lansing) was the first one I did when I started this job a year ago. So 40+ trails and thirty pounds later I'm still at it. I'm pretty lucky, for sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	1170864
    It's something I refer to as "fringe benefits". Since I own the company, the employee handbook has a company vehicle clause...
    Any company vehicle shall have a bicycle inside at all times during the course of official company business and travel.
    All employees MUST participate in routine and regular exercise program by operating said bicycle on trails found during transit to job sites.

Ouch! For a good balance between price and quality, I'll probably get a red Azonic Baretta II.
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	1170864
    It's something I refer to as "fringe benefits". Since I own the company, the employee handbook has a company vehicle clause...
    Any company vehicle shall have a bicycle inside at all times during the course of official company business and travel.
    All employees MUST participate in routine and regular exercise program by operating said bicycle on trails found during transit to job sites.

Check the closeout section for better prices. They ain't cheap but are not of Chinese descent either...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I didn't think O'Neal was Chinese.
    2016 El Oso Grande

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    98% of items sold/traded in the USA any longer are of foreign origin these days.
    Damn, if audio gear had margins like the bicycle industry has I could make a years income in 3 months, thus spending 9 months of the year riding bikes!!
    O'neal is doing their share of imports with their hubs being made by Novatec. :/
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Well, since O'Neal has American roots, I still feel OK supporting them.
    2016 El Oso Grande

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Well, since O'Neal has American roots, I still feel OK supporting them.
    As do I, considering I own two of their wheel sets and had a DS-1 for a few years. Unfortunately, they didn't keep designing frames.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Wade, have I mentioned how enjoyable it is to interact with you in this forum? Love your enthusiasm and knowledge!
    2016 El Oso Grande

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Wade, have I mentioned how enjoyable it is to interact with you in this forum? Love your enthusiasm and knowledge!
    *hides*
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    LOL!

No ride yesterday: eye doctor in the morning, dilation, etc. Blew the rest of the day waiting for my eyes to come back to normal so I could see properly again. I don't ride any two wheeler when my eyes are being funky; I can only handle that with the car, but even that only very very carefully.

Results: Overall, my eyes' health seems very good. With correction, I'm still able to see 20/20 with the right and only just below that with the left. The photos of my retina/optic nerve look very good at this point: virtually the same eye to eye, no noticeable developing issues.

With respect to my problems with night vision: There are small cataracts happening ... they are evidently quite small just yet and not occluding much, but they're dead center in the lenses which is why it feels like such a degradation when light levels go down. The ophalmologist set up another appointment for six months from now to get a baseline. His advice is that if the cataracts have enlarged significantly, for my eyes it would be better to do the cataract repair early rather than later: I have the condition called a "polar cataract" which evidently makes the cataract surgery more difficult and a bit more risky. "Better to take care of it, if needed, while the lens is still pliable and the rear portion of the lens capsule intact than wait for the lens to become more inflexible, risking further damage to the lens capsule." Fun fun fun ... Not the greatest news, but I'd rather know and be able to do the right thing at the right time than just give up.

Sun's out today and it's a wee bit warmer. I have a mission to accomplish at noon, then I'll go for a ride.

G

Addendum:
    The ride was good! Fast run down to Guadalupe River Park, up the back way to the cafe for my coffee, and zip home. 10.7 miles, including a half hour at the cafe, an hour and twenty minutes total.
    Last edited by ramarren; 1 Week Ago at 10:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Hi Y'all
    We got through Nate and sent it scurrying north. Been riding a bit. Boy this whole area is just criss crossed with delicious trails. We founr one behind a trailer that goes until you hit fish river.
    Until
    The above was an old post. Since then its been awhile so I had better get offa ma buttox and post!!!
    Recently I got weighed and my weight is 236#. Through diet and riding Blue, and before him Ryback, my health is improving.
    On the ride front with Sue (Mama Bear) being my fulltime job and a pesky right shoulder arm and hand I've been able to get in about an hour a day. All in the "dirt' .
    I am looking at a Gravity Bulls-eye single speed. A late Christmas gift. I
    Until later
    Oldbear.
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

FB&H rider
    Good to hear from ya Oldbear!
    Hope you're on the nice list this year; that's a whole lotta gift! (I've got my eye on a Wozo for post-hannukah/anniversary giftage)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Bear great to see you back in these parts, hope winter is kind to you. A single speed you say, you are a better man than me

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tex, great photos and an impressive trail list ticked off.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Farley upgrades...

Hi everyone our internet has been down for a few days, and in the meantime I picked up the Farley from my LBS. The front derailleur stopped working so it seemed like a good time to go to a 1x11 setup.

Sram Eagle 1x12 would have been great but the extra cost of a rear hub ruled that option out.

I have Shimano SLX 1x11 on my F/S bike and it works well. For the Farley I went for the same but with the 11/46 cassette. Dropping the chainring down to a 30 tooth would give me the low gears that I need. The cassette won't win any beauty contests.

Fat Biking and health-img_2180.jpg

But it shifts well up to the 46, even if its large jump and its super quiet. With a Hope 30 tooth up front the lowest gear is enough to crawl up most hills.

Fat Biking and health-img_2184.jpg

After a short ride this afternoon its looks to be a good change as I never used the large chainring on the previous 2x set up off road.

The other change was the saddle, the Fabric that I had on it was comfortable but had very squeaky rails. So when Brooks released the Cambium C19 I knew that I would want to try one. I already have a C17 and C 17 carved. The C 19 to my surprise is pretty much the same size as the B17 which is my favourite saddle. After the first ride the C19 feels like a winner.

Fat Biking and health-img_2174.jpg

I know everyones bottom is different but these new Brooks are worth a try if you sit in an upright position on your bike.

Fat Biking and health-img_2188.jpg

Anyway the weather is looking a little dodgy tomorrow but I hope to get out for a longer ride on the Farley to see how we get on. Hope the weekend is kind to you.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Purty saddle there, Oz! I used to ride a B17.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Ah, Brooks saddles. Lovely stuff.

A perfect riding day here today. I had a PT appointment in Cupertino so rode Sumo up there for that (all uphill), then down to a favorite cafe for a bite to eat, then to the bike shop to look at a different lock system (ABUS Gordon 6500, think I'll go for it). Then took the long way around the neighborhood to get home. A pleasant little 16 miler.

But it was so nice out, I just swapped gear and took Racer out for a spin and for coffee at the other cafe. (I have a long list of cafes that I haunt... :-) Just missed the start of the evening traffic slam so a quick bimble down some back roads and up the back way into the cafe parking lot.

Two wheeled day... I'll head home in a few moments before the traffic crunch consumes life. PT was great today: I've gained another increment on the leg press machine, weight's down some more ... life is good.

Onwards!
    G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    G, sounds like you're on a good path! And breaking out the gasoline powered fatbike too? How kewl is that?
    If I had one of those, 1 Adam 12, 1 Adam 12!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thank you, Banshee! I just love riding... always have!
    Getting it back after having to stop for so long is a return to life.

Yesterday I realized I was ready: Racer is fully broken in now, and I felt comfortable and in-control enough again, finally!, to drift him through a few corners. OMG, what a wonderful feeling! If today warms up a little bit, I'll take a nice long ride on Racer up into the hills. I need to remove the chicken strips from the rear tire...

G

mtbr member
    May be getting a pair of Husker Du's for almost nothing. Seem like decent treads, and unbeatable for the price. Definitely better than the Chaoyang FatBNimble knockoffs I'm running.
    2016 El Oso Grande

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    May be getting a pair of Husker Du's for almost nothing. Seem like decent treads, and unbeatable for the price. Definitely better than the Chaoyang FatBNimble knockoffs I'm running.
    I'd love to get a pair of the Escalator which was the same as the original Hu Du's except a 180 TPI casing.
    The change in Hu Du's recently was widening the spacing between the treads. Not really a bad thing, but would be nice to have a choice between the new and original tread pattern.

You're welcome, G!! Racer could be a really bad influence on ya, don'tcha know... After all, he's kinda an instigator, no?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    A glorious ride this morning!

Cold on the way down to the park ... It was 37°F when I left, 42°F when I arrived there, then 60°F on the way home. I wore a pair of thin sports pants that zip up snugly on my lower legs, a pair of my light motorcycle gloves, and my fluffy vest. And then, thinking "I need to push to warm myself up", I just left the power off all the way there and back (almost ... I cheated and used it to get over the two train crossings). Took a little longer but I was warm.

Weather was beautiful. Eleven miles went by too quickly, but other things needed doing. But darn it was nice to be out there today.

G

mtbr member
    I thought the Dillinger was the spin-off of the Escalator?

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Escalator has been gone from the list for a long time now, which is a shame for those of us that don't weigh as much as a city bus! :P
    Going on pure senility on that. I know the escalator came first and one or the other carried on from there when Escalator was dropped from the lineup.

On another front is my 5.05's with casings that are stiff enough that I can run em without air in deep snow. EspenW has a pair of "3XL" 5.6's that are actually lighter than 5.05 and are extremely supple for powder riding. Those actually make me wanna get up with Quiring and build a frame for a pair of em if only they were available.

I abhor stiff, dead tires cause they don't offer the traction and spring that getting trialsy requires, thus the JJ 4.8 Liteskin is one of my favorite tires. Hell, they are lighter than some of the 2.8 +tires!

Today was an opportunity to get out and play with Sarge. Was chilly and sunny. Worth getting out, needless to say! Damn I really love how playful and fun Sarge is! A couple hours of loose, unimproved deer trail time and 15 miles of ascending and descending was on tap. Tire pressure of 10 psi for just the right float to keep it fast and fun without loosing traction on the climbs and corners. Perhaps it's time to think about heading for Arizona for a week or two for some of that summer revisited! Yeah, DH, I'm giving ya a hard time!! lol
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    After I concluded my business in Lansing, I travelled about an hour South to Jackson, I was able to ride the DTE Foundation trail for an evening ride. The DTE trail is the only one in the area that allows night riding . So there are always a few other people. Being a directional trail, you only run into to someone if you catch, or are caught by the other rider. However, in the dark you can see the lights of other riders for a long distance.
    Fat Biking and health-file2.jpg

I then made it to my home trails. I was able to get a daytime ride in. The trails were frozen, but the lake is not completely ice covered. The Army Corps of Engineers lowers the lake level by a few feet in the fall. You can see the lower sections of old tree trunks which are normally submerged.
    Fat Biking and health-file3.jpg
    The trail conditions were really good, but I forgot my water bottle so I did not want to ride too long. I tend to bundle up too much for cold riding and end up sweating a lot. Last winter was my first winter riding, so I am still trying to get myself dialed in.
    Fat Biking and health-file4.jpg

Tonight we had our first snowfall. I had volunteered for some trailwork earlier in the day and didn't get to ride. It looked so nice out I decided to ride the fresh snow at night. It was beautiful but challenging. There was a light coat of ice underneath the snow. I took it easy.

The light has been a great investment. I would not be getting as many rides in without it and night riding really does make familiar trails new.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tex nice set of trails ridden again, snow over ice would be a real challenge to ride. Do you get a lot of snow in your area?

OZ.

mtbr member
    Escalator has been gone from the list for a long time now, which is a shame for those of us that don't weigh as much as a city bus! :P
    Going on pure senility on that. I know the escalator came first and one or the other carried on from there when Escalator was dropped from the lineup.

On another front is my 5.05's with casings that are stiff enough that I can run em without air in deep snow. EspenW has a pair of "3XL" 5.6's that are actually lighter than 5.05 and are extremely supple for powder riding. Those actually make me wanna get up with Quiring and build a frame for a pair of em if only they were available.

I abhor stiff, dead tires cause they don't offer the traction and spring that getting trialsy requires, thus the JJ 4.8 Liteskin is one of my favorite tires. Hell, they are lighter than some of the 2.8 +tires!

Today was an opportunity to get out and play with Sarge. Was chilly and sunny. Worth getting out, needless to say! Damn I really love how playful and fun Sarge is! A couple hours of loose, unimproved deer trail time and 15 miles of ascending and descending was on tap. Tire pressure of 10 psi for just the right float to keep it fast and fun without loosing traction on the climbs and corners. Perhaps it's time to think about heading for Arizona for a week or two for some of that summer revisited! Yeah, DH, I'm giving ya a hard time!! lol
    Meant to get up early to ride, but slept poorly and then slept in. Been doing housecleaning and such so far, but will get out for a ride sooner or later here.

I hear ya, Wade. Hard to complain when it's 70 degrees and rising in December!

I may hold out for Jumbo Jims. I read that 4" tires don't suit 95 mm rims as perfectly as wider ones, and the JJs are as light in 4.8 as the HuDu's in 4.0.
    2016 El Oso Grande

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Meant to get up early to ride, but slept poorly and then slept in. Been doing housecleaning and such so far, but will get out for a ride sooner or later here.

I hear ya, Wade. Hard to complain when it's 70 degrees and rising in December!

I may hold out for Jumbo Jims. I read that 4" tires don't suit 95 mm rims as perfectly as wider ones, and the JJs are as light in 4.8 as the HuDu's in 4.0.
    So far, the 4.8 JJ's have been great. Sure, there are more aggressive tread patterns out there and such but the weight penalty is huge. Since I'm not doing Redbull Rampage, I don't see a benefit to a DH casing slowing and reducing the trialsy feel that I've come to enjoy.

On the sleep front, I've been having a great deal of difficulty with that due to sinus issues affecting the cpap. The sinuses close up and the mask floats and disturbs the sleep cycle more than not using it at all. Pfft! Yay! Sleep in and have a lazy Saturday. Then it will be time to decide who's goin riding today! Toss up between Aisan and the Mayor comes to mind. No snow and some trails similar to the Cat Mountain area that I enjoyed so much last January.

Tex, you're killing me!! We have no snow to speak of. GFBD was different this year due to 58* weather and lack of snow.
    Thanks for the pix and ride report.

OZ, thanks for those down under paradise pix! Lookin good...
    Lookin forward to hearing about the change to 1x. While you enjoy the wide range for those climbs, ya still have the top end for the speed too. Kewl stuff.

For now, I'll keep the RSD collection at 1x 10 cause it's gonna be expensive to change up 3 bikes. The other issue is going away from a short cage to medium cage RD. I like the short cage for keeping the drivetrain up off the ground and less likely to collect debris. Not a deal breaker tho.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi Tex nice set of trails ridden again, snow over ice would be a real challenge to ride. Do you get a lot of snow in your area?

OZ.
    Ohio has a lot more snow on the Northern 1/4, the Great Lakes create what is called "lake effect" snow. The snow will accumulate much more up there. I travel to the North quite a bit. Where I live, in Columbus, it is South of the Great Lakes and only gets a few inches from time to time.

Last winter was my first time riding in snow. It is a lot different. The speed is slower, it takes a little more energy and it can be slippery (though it depends on the type of snow, whether there was rain mixed in, the ground conditions before temperatures dropped, a million different things). But I really enjoy it. The snow absorbs sound, so distant traffic noise, wind, and everything is quiet. Snow in the forest is very beautiful, pictures can't do it justice (especially from my old phone). At night, the snow reflects all light, making any available light more effective. Moonlight in the snow allows you to see incredibly well. So my only complaint about snow riding is that I didn't start sooner. It is pretty nice.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Tex, the difference in snow riding and dirtin is air pressure needs to be lowered for snow. Dirt pressure keeps the tires trying to ride up a snow ramp which cuts your fuel economy drastically.

As Mikesee has stated, snow conditions determine the wrinkle count. What this is about is how soft do your tires need to be for the current conditions.
    More snow, less air. For what I saw in you pix, I'd say drop 2-3 psi from your regular pressure and see if it improves some.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Went out to Desert Trails bike park to ride their three little trails, which are fast and flowy, with some good climbing practice on one. It was fun to watch the BMX kids jumping, practicing tricks. They were pretty entertained by the behemoth cruising around.

Fat Biking and health-img_20171210_140611376.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_20171210_141013876.jpg
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Got in the first snow ride of the winter here in Ohio. From the tracks, looks like one other rider was out earlier.

Added some blue rim tape to the Fatboy and swapped out the stem cap for something a bit more festive.

mtbr member
    Looks great-the bike and the snow!
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Terry, where in Ohio were you riding?

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Terry, gotta love that orange flavored bike! Snow? What the hell is snow?

Hope to be able to post some snow ride pix in the near future, but there ain't no snow yet! :/
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sounds like your snow rides will be great fun Tex, plenty of time to make up time

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi DH that frame sparkles in the dust, and what kid could not love a fat bike? Thats why we all have one

Winter would be the riding season in your part of the world, I find I do most of my longer rides in the winter months down here. Even living on the coast the days are now hot and humid after ten in the morning.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Terry looks like a great ride, is that the right amount of snow? looks ridable but not a hard slog.

My winter kit for the coldest day's down here is a short sleeve wool undershirt to my normal kit. Maybe arm warmers and full fingered mountain bike gloves and a few of the coldest days. Looks like you do it a bit tougher You won't catch me complaining again on a winters morning

OZ.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Tex - That was John Bryan SP. It's not too challenging but a fun trail to just get out and put in miles. I saw at least 7 other fat bikes in the lot and out exploring the park.

Oz, yesterday was maybe an inch of powdery snow. It really didn't have much of an impact on riding. Heavier wet snow will pack down and start to turn icy as folks ride it. Cold weather isn’t bad if you prepare for it. I had a ride last winter where my water bottle froze solid.
    Last edited by Terry66; 3 Days Ago at 08:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Our evenings and nights here in the SF Bay Area have gotten chilly, but days vary ... yesterday it hit almost 70°F. I decided to do 'the other ride' and took Racer out for an afternoon bimble down some roads I haven't ridden in many years to the south of me.

Two hours, about sixty-seventy miles of delightful aimless wiggling around the curves and bends: Sheesh, I hardly recognize these roads today! The last time I rode them, there was a distinct cut off when you went from being "in" San Jose to being in the country between the smaller towns. Now there are homes and developments as far as 35 miles south along was used to be empty country two lane. Population growth here in the Bay Area has been ferocious this past decade with so many people moving here to go to work for the megacorporations..

A bicycle ride today, yes: similar weather today. It's 37° now, it'll be 60° by 10:00. Forget snow here...!

G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    68° by 1pm. Woo hoo!

So I'm on my bicycle ride, going down to the cafe on Coleman, by the park, for a cup, then swing back home. As I'm rolling down one of the main drags, a block or two before I turn into Guadalupe Park, I see a guy on a bicycle up ahead of me who's looking a little wobbly. Well, he had every right to be wobbly ... On his shoulder he was carrying a folded 8-foot work ladder, and from each end of it swung a gallon jug of paint with brushes bungee-corded to the jugs!

I can't make this stuff up. It's just too weird.

Anyway, I went around him and continued on for my coffee. I'm going around a different way back to home so I doubt I'll see that guy again. But I'm sure some other amazing thing will pop up out of nowhere if I keep my eye's open.

G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    At least the bloke had a job to do!

Who says bikes aren't good work trucks?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Tonight's ride: Potato Creek State Park in Indiana. There was a nice coat of snow and the majority of the trail was untouched by with the exception of wildlife tracks. More snow began to fall as I rode. I rounded a left hand switchback when a coyote jumped out about 5 feet in front of me from the right side of my light beam and out of sight to the left. It was gone as fast as it appeared but it was there long enough to startle the crap out of me. I made sure I was making more noise from that point forward.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Tonight's ride: Potato Creek State Park in Indiana. There was a nice coat of snow and the majority of the trail was untouched by with the exception of wildlife tracks. More snow began to fall as I rode. I rounded a left hand switchback when a coyote jumped out about 5 feet in front of me from the right side of my light beam and out of sight to the left. It was gone as fast as it appeared but it was there long enough to startle the crap out of me. I made sure I was making more noise from that point forward.
    *Tex changes his shorts while continuing to ride*
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I know what that's like. I had a mountain lion encounter when hiking Thumb Butte a few years ago. Just a sighting, but it left me uneasy the rest of the hike.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    I know what that's like. I had a mountain lion encounter when hiking Thumb Butte a few years ago. Just a sighting, but it left me uneasy the rest of the hike.
    Yeah, that would make me really uneasy. At least coyotes are small generally after small prey and you have a fighting chance. A mountain lion is a whole different story. If there were Mountain Lions here I would probably not ride by myself at night.

mtbr member
    A mountain lion would be a whole different story than a little coyote. Aren't mountain lions like 200 pounds?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I guess some mountain lions could weigh upwards of 100 lbs, but most of the ones I used to see when I lived up in the hills nearby here were rather smaller than that.

By and large, they're not after prey as big as an adult human, they're mostly catching rabbits, squirrels, chickens, young deer, etc. The problem is when you happen across their line of attack at the wrong moment (a 50lb animal charging at full speed for the rabbit on the other side of the road can cause you a very bad day), or you stumble upon a gathering of cubs with mama out looking for food nearby. If you just happen upon one in a clearing, the likelihood is that they're just as nervous as you are and would prefer to be headed in the other direction.

But it is certainly unnerving to run across one when you have no protection at hand. You just have to hope the lion was not having a bad day...!

---
    The rest of yesterday's ride went along without incident or extraordinary silliness on the road. I took a few alternative turns and wandered through some neighborhoods I hadn't seen before. I also ran almost entirely un-powered for the entire ride: my legs have gotten strong enough that there are times on the flats where even the ECON minimum power setting is more than I want and I enjoy just working my legs harder. My road speed averages don't even drop more than a mile an hour now...!

It's so strange to think that a year ago today I bought my first eBike, and when I bought it at that time I could barely even get onto it without significant effort. Riding it home that first day was considered an act of total insanity by my partner and even the dealer. 20 miles then left me totally exhausted for two days, not even considering that I was scared shitless a dozen times by traffic. Nowadays, 15 to 20 miles is kind of a nice "middling bimble" for a warm afternoon and I have no qualms about diving into downtown traffic to get to one of the more exotic of my favorite cafes. My legs and body in general are getting so strong now that my physical therapist is recommending that I stop seeing her and get myself a trainer at the local gym... Such a difference!

Sumo is now eight months old, and the odometer reading is up to 1070 miles. I might pass the 1100 mark this week, before I head off to Ireland and the Isle of Man for the holidays! Life is great.

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    G, not sure where you've encountered them, but they are definitely not passive around humans here in AZ:

https://www.realtree.com/archive/new...-mountain-lion

https://www.dcourier.com/news/2017/a...stalks-family/

Also, they average around 150 pounds-of which 100% is muscle. They can top 200 pounds. The one I saw was BIG. They are not afraid of you. This is why, when I hike solo in areas I know to have mountain lions or bear, I carry a sidearm.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, with Terry's freezing water bottles, Tex's Coyote encounters and DH and G's run ins with Mountain Lions and Bears around as well I don't know why everyone believes that OZ is a dangerous place

Most of the things that can kill you down here will give you a quick love bite and leave you to die, not rip you to bits and eat you. I know I have watched "The Revenant"

Big Kangaroos can get a bit cranky and a Saltwater Crocodile will love to get you if you come into its world, as for the rest you might not even know that you have been bitten.

Oh I forgot about the Sharks but you have them too, I think "Downunder" is a safe place to ride after all

As for riding I am just back from getting a remedial massage, super tight hamstrings from sitting down at work and plenty of riding mean if I don't get them seen to every now and then things stop working as they should.

Not the most pleasant hour of your life but well worth it.

Stay safe out there...

OZ.

mtbr member
    OZ, I have to laugh, because when I mentioned that I carry a pistol when I am out in bear and cat country, I pretty much pointed out the single thing that makes the U.S. a thousand times more dangerous than Australia: The fact that crackpots with zero training and mental health and/or substance abuse issues can get firearms. I worked in law enforcement for five years and went through both police and probation academies with over 200 hours of firearms instruction, but far too many wackjobs here in this stupidly conservative state carry weapons I wish they wouldn't into bars and restaurants among other places.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    MAN, am I missing Key West and it's mid 70 degree temps. We've had 2 snows, 4+" last Friday into Saturday and another dusting (1") this morning. The temps are in the 20's at night and 30's today. The knee feels like a block of steel (titanium) with this weather.
    We've been in full Christmas shopping mode. Heading to my alma mater tonight for a wrestling match (ex-wrestler there). They are collecting presents for Secret Santa tonight. Heading towards the beach tomorrow for my last shot there. I've been stretching and working the knee as best I can.
    Looking to get out this weekend.

Thursday's Ride Report: Homebase to Lock 1 and back....

An Alberta Clipper came in yesterday, dropping temps overnight into the low 20's with an inch of snow.

Distance: 18.8 miles
    Battery Percentage Remaining: 44%
    Average Speed/Max Speed: 9.5/22.0 mph
    Odometer: 3828 miles
    Weather: Mostly sunny, windy with winds from northwest at about 15 plus mph. Temperature: 30 degrees estimated

Notes: About an inch of fluffy, dry snow fell overnight from this cold front from arctic Canada and even with the sunshine, most snow remained after noontime........near 20 mile run with 12 of that mostly on asphalt roads which means heavy salt build up. I avoided all puddles as they were likely mostly brine water.......
    Fat Biking and health-100_2896.jpg
    Heading northbound on the way to Lock 1 at Bordentown and I am again going through Crystal Lake Park, maintained by Burlington County Parks System. Taking things nice and easy with tires pumped to 20 psi, no quick turning movements to have front tire slide out from under me. Coming down this road, full-on into the northwest wind. Very cold.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2897.jpg
    Bridge over Lock 1 lock chamber
    Fat Biking and health-100_2899.jpg
    About a mile up from Lock 1 and a dead tree near the active Eagles nest. I believe this Eagle was one of the hatchlings from last winter/early spring. It looks young. Looking down and about the great Hamilton/Trenton Marsh for dinner.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2900.jpg
    These Alberta Clippers bring serious cold and when they drop snow, it is very light and fluffy due to the dry arctic air. These fronts have minimal snow totals.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2901.jpg
    Looking northbound with the Delaware and Raritan Canal on the right. Up this far from Lock 1, the ice will accumulate fast as the tidal current from the Delaware is not fast at all as it flushes the canal with the rise and fall of the river tides.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2902.jpg
    End of the Lock 1 towpath, northern end, Trenton, NJ, near Lamberton Road. 9.4 miles from Homebase. All of the summer weed growth has disappeared. So too is the summer heat and humidity. One temperature swing to another.

The problem with these rides after a snowfall is getting road salt on the bike. I wiped it down real good upon returning to home. Good to get out. Thing about this time of year is that as early afternoon becomes mid to late afternoon, the temps drop and you really start to feel the cold.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    MAN, am I missing Key West and it's mid 70 degree temps. We've had 2 snows, 4+" last Friday into Saturday and another dusting (1") this morning. The temps are in the 20's at night and 30's today. The knee feels like a block of steel (titanium) with this weather.
    We've been in full Christmas shopping mode. Heading to my alma mater tonight for a wrestling match (ex-wrestler there). They are collecting presents for Secret Santa tonight. Heading towards the beach tomorrow for my last shot there. I've been stretching and working the knee as best I can.
    Looking to get out this weekend.
    So, with a little snow and a +bike you oughtta be good to go! Drop the tire pressure a couple psi from your regular riding pressure and have a ride in the 2-4" ya have!! Sarge and the Wildcat (Aisan) get to ride in that kinda stuff frequently, provided it's available. Great adventures happen at this time of year. Make sure to layer up appropriately so ya don't become a popsicle and ride a bike!

Hope your knee is finally settling in and no longer giving you discomfort.

Mike, what's that white stuff???
    The Mayor needs dance lessons to get the snow dance right! All we have had is a few dustings but nothing of significance so far!
    All I need is snow and 4 psi an I'ma goin for a proper fatride in season! But, No, no snow, 8 psi and still summer fat riding conditions. :/

DH,

We had a mountain lion that had 3 cubs that would frequent the area during the wee hours. There was no way that I would report it cause people think they need to play God. A regal animal, yes. Could they transplant em unharmed, I don't trust em to do that, sadly.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    G, not sure where you've encountered them, but they are definitely not passive around humans here in AZ:

https://www.realtree.com/archive/new...-mountain-lion

https://www.dcourier.com/news/2017/a...stalks-family/

Also, they average around 150 pounds-of which 100% is muscle. They can top 200 pounds. The one I saw was BIG. They are not afraid of you. This is why, when I hike solo in areas I know to have mountain lions or bear, I carry a sidearm.
    The ones I saw were in the Santa Cruz Mountains of California, above Aptos, where I used to live. Perhaps they tend to the smaller size of the scale. Wikipedia says this about Cougar (aka Mountain Lion, aka Puma, etc) physical characteristics:

Couger - Wikipedia
    Physical characteristics

Adult males are around 7.9 ft long from nose to tail tip, and females average 6.7 ft, with overall ranges between 4.9 to 9.0 ft nose to tail suggested for the species in general. Of this length, 25 to 37 in is comprised by the tail.

Males typically weigh 115 to 220 lb, averaging 137 lb.
    Females typically weigh between 64 and 141 lb, averaging 93 lb.

Cougar size is smallest close to the equator, and larger towards the poles.

The largest recorded cougar, shot in 1901, weighed 232 lb; claims of 276 lb and 260 lb have been reported, though they were most likely exaggerated. On average, adult male cougars in British Columbia weigh 125 lb and adult females 100 lb, though several male cougars in British Columbia weighed between 190 to 210 lb.

But it doesn't matter really. I'm glad your encounter did not result in any harm, either to to you or to the animal.

Had a lovely ride on Sumo today. Beautiful warm, sunny afternoon ... About a 10 mile circuit.

G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    The ones I saw were in the Santa Cruz Mountains of California, above Aptos, where I used to live. Perhaps they tend to the smaller size of the scale. Wikipedia says this about Cougar (aka Mountain Lion, aka Puma, etc) physical characteristics:

Couger - Wikipedia
    Physical characteristics

Adult males are around 7.9 ft long from nose to tail tip, and females average 6.7 ft, with overall ranges between 4.9 to 9.0 ft nose to tail suggested for the species in general. Of this length, 25 to 37 in is comprised by the tail.

Males typically weigh 115 to 220 lb, averaging 137 lb.
    Females typically weigh between 64 and 141 lb, averaging 93 lb.

Cougar size is smallest close to the equator, and larger towards the poles.

The largest recorded cougar, shot in 1901, weighed 232 lb; claims of 276 lb and 260 lb have been reported, though they were most likely exaggerated. On average, adult male cougars in British Columbia weigh 125 lb and adult females 100 lb, though several male cougars in British Columbia weighed between 190 to 210 lb.

But it doesn't matter really. I'm glad your encounter did not result in any harm, either to to you or to the animal.

Had a lovely ride on Sumo today. Beautiful warm, sunny afternoon ... About a 10 mile circuit.

G
    G, the cougar population is very high in Aspen! Just sayin...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Well, there are no mountain lions or cougars in the areas I travel, which is fine with me. I am sure that coyote was as startled as I was. He ran behind me which was probably to get out of my lights.

I concluded my work trip with a ride in the snow at Bonneville Mill in Bristol, Indiana. I was able to wrap up my work early and ride during the day. This park is closed in the evenings.
    Fat Biking and health-file.jpg
    After that ride I drove home to Ohio and rode some of my home trails. We had snow in central Ohio, but nowhere near the lake effect snow that pounded Northern Indiana. Still it was a nice (coyote-free) ride.
    Fat Biking and health-file3.jpgFat Biking and health-file4.jpg

Wade: Looks like the cold air has drifted away from you and headed east. Saturday we got about 5 inches, then it gradually warmed up to the low 40's until yesterday when that Clipper came roaring down from Canada. Glad I brought the balaclava with me. The wind was right in my face as I turned into Crystal Lake Park, so I stopped the bike and put it on, underneath my old military issue cold weather cap with ear flaps. Was actually kinda comfortable....even wearing my cycling knickers-shorts for this ride & about 6 different layers of upper body wear. This severe kind of cold and my diuretic medication means I'm pulling over quite often on the ride for a bathroom break....

Tex: Nice snow shots at night.

G: Beautiful, sunny warm afternoons should be arriving here, oh, next May or so! Good to hear you had a great ride.

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 384445464748