Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 374344454647
Results 4,601 to 4,635 of 4635
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Pepper I would love to get a change of seasons like that.

Don't know about huts in the woods, down here it would possibly house a serial killer, not some who gives you lunch

We can get snow on the Barrington Tops in winter, its a few hours drive from here and next winter if it happens and I have the day off the Farley will touch the cold stuff.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G thats some good returns for your efforts, not that it seems a chore to ride anymore but a joy, with or without motor.

I drive for a living these days and the out right stupidity and lack of attention or understanding I see everyday always amazes me. The local police talk of how they are reducing the road toll, but I believe that its sear luck that more people are not killed or injured everyday.

On my ride home from work yesterday I had four close passes and one idiot drive past me and then turn across me into a side street. I really like riding to work and don't have a car anyway, but I always ride as if someone is going to get me. Not nice but can make a difference between getting home or not.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Pepper, back packs just seem too hot most of the year down here. I did like the extra bottle cages on the Monkey's fork on the last ride. The Ortileb belt pack that I am getting will fit two small bottles so I will be able to carry plenty of water on the Monkey and extra on the Farley.

On the long beach ride that I am planing with the Farley I will certainly add two bottle holders on the fork.

OZ.

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi Pepper I would love to get a change of seasons like that.

Don't know about huts in the woods, down here it would possibly house a serial killer, not some who gives you lunch

We can get snow on the Barrington Tops in winter, its a few hours drive from here and next winter if it happens and I have the day off the Farley will touch the cold stuff.

OZ.
    Been a few decades since I was in Oz, but that's one thing that disappointed me - most parts of Australia don't have much of the 4-seasons. I almost took a job in Tasmania a few years back and still think that might have been cool. my daughter is looking at marine biology programs in Australia, so we'l see :P

Good luck in hunting some white stuff.... ABSOLUTELY roll those fatties through it if you get the chance!
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    G: That's a great health report, sir! Outstanding job. Consider the extra weight the battery and mid drive added to the Sumo and your desire to pedal with the least amount of e-assist as being a great factor in the positive gains you've made.

Surly In Oz: Thank you! Back in the early 90's I was in my canoeing phase. Bought an Old Town Pathfinder 16 footer and set about paddling the Batsto and Mullica Rivers. Was able to finagle a lot of leave days in my CG service to paddle the Delaware River from it's West Branch at Balls Eddy, PA to my hometown, over 300 miles downstream; some 10 days later. Later on, the canoe gave way to the sea kayak as wind on the river was too much at times. The sea kayak took care of that problem, opening up a new way of paddling in the process.

Back to the Mullica: I put in my canoe at a location called Constable Bridge. Here is a picture of the Haibike at Constable Bridge taken last spring on a documented ride I did here:
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-061.jpg
    I went downstream the Mullica to the "town" of Sweetwater, NJ, where the Mullica was now tidal river. Turned around and paddled back upstream, enjoying the day. Got back to my little Ford Bronco II only to find it was vandalized; the hood and roof were stomped on, the passenger side window glass was shattered, my glovebox rifled through (stupidly, I left my wallet in the glovebox as I did not want to chance it getting wet...the irony). The vandals attempted to steal my Alpine in-dash stereo, but instead of having a phillips screwdriver, they simply used their hands, trying to rip the plastic instrument dash apart. They failed, but not before leaving their blood all over the dash. They even stole my canoe straps; so the Park Ranger was good enough to provide some rope I could tie my canoe up with atop the roof.

That was the end of my canoeing the NJ Pine Barrens and a valuable lesson learned: never leave your vehicle parked unattended outside of the security of a Park Ranger station......

Doctor Pepper: Glad to know they caught that cancer in time. That had to be a very scary moment for you, to learn of what they found.

DirtyHun: I love the sound of whining fat bike tires on asphalt. And it does get the attention of anyone you're coming up on!

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    Surly In Oz: Forgot to answer your question: It's 26 miles from Homebase to Atsion Ranger Station. Aside from the one trip I did from Homebase to Atsion under battery assist, I just put the Haibike in the back of the pickup and drive down to Atsion....

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks for all the encouragements!

Yesterday was a motor machine day: Over to my mechanic to have the Stealth Spaceship prepped for my Thanksgiving trip to Houston, Texas and back with a light service: oil and filter change, and install a set of high-output H7 headlamp bulbs. Onto Racer to blitz over to the hills for lunch with an old friend. Oooh how that bike sounds and handles now! Dash back home and run the car back up to the mechanic (he found a new o-ring lying on the bench after I left and was concerned that he'd forgotten to install it, but it turned out to be a spare improperly packaged with the oil filter). Back home, back onto Racer and dash up-peninsula for Tuesday night dinner with the moto folks. Then back home after, take the 'Spaceship out to test the headlights on a dark street: big thumbs up. All ready for the open road now...

Whew, I'm exhausted just thinking of all that!! I stopped by the local ice creamery at the end of the headlight test, chatted with the owner for a bit, and picked up a couple of pints to serve as our dessert for the rest of the week. A fitting end to the day.

Today Sumo and I ride again. I think I need a 20 miler...

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    I've stopped riding as much at night as I once did as I have more time during the day, but it's such a different experience that it's still an enjoyable pastime. Riding with others is always more fun too.

I convinced some friends to try a night ride on some nearby fire trails, so I thought I'd better dust off my lights to make sure I had enough to go round, and because my wife is away I could use the dining table to see just what I had.

Fat Biking and health-img_0219.jpg
    Not quite enough bar and helmet lights for the 4 of us, but I think I can borrow some from another friend.

Then fit them on the bike.
    Fat Biking and health-lights-bike.jpg
    Having done that, the obvious next step was to go ride and not just wait until next week with my friends, so it was then just a matter of waiting for it to get dark.

Fat Biking and health-img_0220.jpg
    This is a hazy picture on the edge of a nature park, with Canberra airport in the background. Great t-shirt weather, and just a few too many bugs enjoying the lights.

While I didn't get any pictures of the wildlife there were several mobs of kangaroos, too many rabbits an owl and a couple of possums.

Tim

mtbr member
    I'm traveling again, but it has been too rainy to take on the trails. My wife advised that my light arrived in the mail. I can't wait to try night riding. Unfortunately I'm not sure when that will be, work emergencies will have me buried for the next few days. When I get out I will give a full report.

mtbr member
    Rode in to work and back today. Not bad, as there is a route that mainly follows the canal. 13.9 miles in 62 minutes on the way there, a more leisurely 68 on the way home.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Wombat that's quite a collection of lights

Night riding in Canberra in summer would be fantastic. We were going to head down that way for the weekend but the rainy forecast put those plans on hold. Not going to be much better here in Newcastle, I might be able to sneak in a few rides between rain showers over the next three days.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi DH that's a goood amount of miles, ride that a few times a week and your fitness will go through the roof. How does it compare to driving?

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    Rode in to work and back today. Not bad, as there is a route that mainly follows the canal. 13.9 miles in 62 minutes on the way there, a more leisurely 68 on the way home.
    Doing that regularly will result in better times. And ya get to ride fAt... Doesn't get better than that!

And there is the incredible, shrinking OZ! Wut rain?
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hi DH that's a goood amount of miles, ride that a few times a week and your fitness will go through the roof. How does it compare to driving?

OZ.
    It was a good length. It doubles the commute time, since I can take the freeway in the car, I run a club on Fridays, so I couldn't ride in then, and at this point, I wouldn't want to do it two days running, so I will probably keep it that way, with off-road on Sundays, and a shorter ride after school on Mondays.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Doing that regularly will result in better times. And ya get to ride fAt... Doesn't get better than that!

And there is the incredible, shrinking OZ! Wut rain?

One does not like to get wet down here in OZ

Sam Hill summed it up well, he does not ride his bike in the rain as it will get muddy and then he will have to wash it

Just about to head out for a short spin, more to see how the handle bar set up on the Farley feels after I flipped the stem up the other day.

Might check the rain radar first, you can never be too careful

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    One does not like to get wet down here in OZ

Sam Hill summed it up well, he does not ride his bike in the rain as it will get muddy and then he will have to wash it

Just about to head out for a short spin, more to see how the handle bar set up on the Farley feels after I flipped the stem up the other day.

Might check the rain radar first, you can never be too careful

OZ.
    Had to have some fun with ya OZ!

Mmmm, mud. That stuff's an easy NO! Tears things up in a NY minute.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

A short blast...

Hi everyone, I did manage to fit a short ride in to checkout my new handlebar setup. It even rained on me Banshee

I just hit the trails across the road and on the firebreak between the houses and the bush proof that rain was about

Fat Biking and health-img_3227.jpg

I avoided that puddle and found the trails proper to be dry, this little trail system drys out so quick after rain because of the soil being so rocky and there is not much flat areas around.

The only place that can stay wet is in a small patch of rain forest, the local council built a raised platform through it and it follows along a creek running into the Lake. Always a highlight of these trails.

Fat Biking and health-img_3248.jpg

It twists and turns to spit you out at the start of the climb back to the top of the hill and the enjoyment is brief.

Fat Biking and health-img_3252.jpg

After the climb and descent I was riding along the Lake shore when I noticed that the tide was very low so I dropped onto the pebbly beach to see how far I could ride.

Fat Biking and health-img_3265.jpg

Turned out thanks to the Fat tyres it was all the way around the point. I have not been around there for years, and until today I never imagined that you could ride a bike around it. Plenty of loose pea size gravel mixed with hard rock platforms that had Oysters growing on them. I was hoping that I did not cut a sidewall, made it around fine and only dropped the bike once when I made a poor line choice. Fat Bikes are truly a go anywhere machine.

One of the small caves I used to play in as a kid.

Fat Biking and health-img_3273.jpg

Still a kid now I suppose, just that my bike is better and each moment outside is cherished.

The last part of the shore had some nice rock slabs and I was giggling like a kid at Christmas as I rode over them.

Fat Biking and health-img_3289.jpg

It was raining softly on me by this time Banshee but I did not care

Fat Biking and health-img_3295.jpg

Last one before the rain came down.

Fat Biking and health-img_3297.jpg

A short ride home, handle bars felt great and me even better. The Fat Bike remains the most fun bike I own, take it anywhere, ride anything and you will always come home with a smile on your face.

OZ.

FB&H rider

ride report

Good stuff and nice pics OZ! Your Trek looks happy to be out and about.

It's twin (My Farley) was also happy to commute to work today.

Distance: 33.89km (a little over 20 miles)
    Time: 2:13
    Descent: 1700ft
    Ascent: 890ft
    Conditions: Dark until the last 20 min. About 1C/34F temp. FOGGY; I couldn't go fast down the hills at all because I couldn't see more than 20 feet in front of me the whole time I was on the mountain. In town it was a little better as the street lights helped.
    There was snow at the top of the mountain, but the rest was quite muddy and wet.
    I had two unplanned getoffs due to the limited visibility and slick surfaces, both at low speeds.

Thankfully, someone had doughnuts in the office when I arrived and the shower in the clinic was hotter than at my house.

Fat Biking and health-17-nov-17-muddy-commute.jpg

Due to the darkness only pic is on arrival - it definitely doesn't do justice to the mud that coated me when I got to work!

I hope to continue making this ride 1-2x per week.

mtbr member
    Riding in in the darkness was interesting for me, too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    It's really good to see others on this list continuing to get out there as Fall descends upon us in North America. Even though I'm in California, average temperatures are declining and we're getting a bit more rain around this area now.. I don't like to ride in the rain, cool to cold doesn't bother me so much, and the dark—well, that's what they make headlights for, eh?

However, it's getting close to my limit for shorts and a light overshirt for warmth. I'm a couple of sizes smaller now than I was in April so I think that I'll be able to find a good warm set of the right fit in bicycle pants and bicycle jersey now that I like. I'm very fussy about the fit...

Be that as it may, I've been out riding three or four times this week for 10-15 mile sessions; it's been a whirlwind here and I'm losing track. But today is a significant mileage day: on today's ride I will pass 1000 miles of riding Sumo since April. I'll try to stop when I see the odometer click over to four digits and record the moment.

After today's ride, I'll be off the bike for a week and some. One piece of the whirlwind has been prepping the car for my Thanksgiving trip—a 4,000 mile round trip from San Jose, California to Houston, Texas. I leave tomorrow about noon. I'm pretty excited! I've not been on this long a solo road trip in quite a few years, since 2006, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'll try to post one more time with my "Thousand Mile Picture" before I go, but if I forget: a Happy Thanksgiving to all! See you on the other side of 4000 miles from now...

onwards!
    G

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    I'm a couple of sizes smaller now than I was in April so I think that I'll be able to find a good warm set of the right fit in bicycle pants and bicycle jersey now that I like. <snip>

After today's ride, I'll be off the bike for a week and some. One piece of the whirlwind has been prepping the car for my Thanksgiving trip—a 4,000 mile round trip from San Jose, California to Houston, Texas. I leave tomorrow about noon. I'm pretty excited! I've not been on this long a solo road trip in quite a few years, since 2006, and I'm really looking forward to it.

onwards!
    G
    Great job!!!!

Have a great trip!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Pepper thats a brutal commute, for length and weather conditions. makes my few km's to and from work seem silly.

Still a guilt free doughnut at the end makes it all worth while

And yes the Farley was glad to be out of the shed and on the trails.

OZ.
    Last edited by Surly in OZ; 1 Day Ago at 05:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G enjoy the road trip, stay safe out there.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Dropped the van at a friend's shop to have an emissions issue traced and repaired, rode the fat bike home. 10 miles in 42 minutes.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    I'm traveling with my bike, but there has been so much rain that I may need to build an ark. My travels will take me to sandy trails tomorrow, hopefully they will be in good enough shape to ride (without wrecking them).

mtbr member
    Send some of that rain this way. Been a while since there was water on the ground.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi guy's I have the beach for the times that are truly wet. Still remember the look on a friends face when I mentioned thats one of the reasons I brought a fat bike, rain cannot stop play.

The main trail system around here can take along time to dry out. The beach is always ready to ride.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks for the trip wishes! It should be a lot of fun. :-)

It was a cold ride this morning! I left home at 8:15 with the temperature hovering at 39°F ... It warmed up to 45°F by the time I arrived at Guadalupe River Park in San Jose. At that point there were three miles to go before hitting the 1000 mile mark.

As luck would have it, the 1000 mile mark was achieved just as I reached Mission City Creamery, the local ice cream parlor owned and run by my friend Chris. So I stopped there to make my 1000 mile photos ...

And no, I did not have any ice cream at that point. Temperatures on the way back were up into the low 50° range, but still a bit too chilly! The creamery is about two miles from home, just a pleasant little bit of back street surburban riding.

onwards,
    G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Good stuff, G!! You made a milestone that has proven your persistence and perseverance have paid great dividends.

Now you're hooked on riding bikes once again and it's been an entirely new experience with the advent of fat and the "e" option.

OZ!! Nice pix up the thread! In my part of the world, a cloudburst can turn up with a moment's notice! The saying "if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes" is very true. Might get soaking wet but ya ride and get a wind dry free of cost!

Once the snow starts to fly, it's gonna get good! The Mayor will be a load of fun in the high country for Global Fatbike Day! Air down the tires and ride the snowmobile trails for a few hours and following it up with BBQ. Hope to have a campfire jump session as usual tradition as well!

Spoke with the Bear a couple days ago. He's well and been riding lately. Hope to see him posting again soon.

Tex, How the hell do you wreck sand? Wet or dry... It will be back to what it was with weather in short order. Mud however, is a different story.
    Needless to say, hope you get an opportunity to hit the trail and have a good time.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Went for my first cool ride of the year real feel was 41. I wasn't properly dressed for it and it was very windy so was a little cold but plan on riding all year round. I just returned from a first cruise ship trip. I was shocked to see how many people are so out of shape, it's a great motivator to keep riding year round. Can't wait to ride my first snow.

mtbr member
    79 degrees outside currently. We've not had a day below 68 yet.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It's been too wet and I've been too busy to ride lately. Looking forward to the cold and snow. Last year I had two rides where my water bottle froze solid! Only got about 4 good snow rides, so hopefully more this year.

Spent the morning working on my Ogre. I swapped out the mtb BB7 brakes with a road set I had in the parts bin. The mtb brakes weren't cutting it since I switched to drop bars and Apex shifters. They are rock solid now.

FB&H rider
    Didn't get to ride on Sat, so went out yesterday with my buddy; my wife admonished me to be back in 2 hours.....
    My buddy heads up the hill and points to the next mountain over, says: "see that tower over there? I want to get to it."
    We did, but 3 hours later, 1800 feet of climb and 20 miles often through thick mud it was totally dark by the time we got home. Thankfully he had a light with him (mine was on my Trek).
    Still, a fun ride with all kinds of shenanigans!

Fat Biking and health-19-nov-17-tower.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Pepper, nice one now you have a week to get back in the good books

OZ

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G you are a better man than me, I would have had an ice cream

If a friend lived that close to me and had an ice cream shop, he would be my best friend

OZ.

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 374344454647