Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748 LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,700 of 4780
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Pepper I would love to get a change of seasons like that.

Don't know about huts in the woods, down here it would possibly house a serial killer, not some who gives you lunch

We can get snow on the Barrington Tops in winter, its a few hours drive from here and next winter if it happens and I have the day off the Farley will touch the cold stuff.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G thats some good returns for your efforts, not that it seems a chore to ride anymore but a joy, with or without motor.

I drive for a living these days and the out right stupidity and lack of attention or understanding I see everyday always amazes me. The local police talk of how they are reducing the road toll, but I believe that its sear luck that more people are not killed or injured everyday.

On my ride home from work yesterday I had four close passes and one idiot drive past me and then turn across me into a side street. I really like riding to work and don't have a car anyway, but I always ride as if someone is going to get me. Not nice but can make a difference between getting home or not.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Pepper, back packs just seem too hot most of the year down here. I did like the extra bottle cages on the Monkey's fork on the last ride. The Ortileb belt pack that I am getting will fit two small bottles so I will be able to carry plenty of water on the Monkey and extra on the Farley.

On the long beach ride that I am planing with the Farley I will certainly add two bottle holders on the fork.

OZ.

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi Pepper I would love to get a change of seasons like that.

Don't know about huts in the woods, down here it would possibly house a serial killer, not some who gives you lunch

We can get snow on the Barrington Tops in winter, its a few hours drive from here and next winter if it happens and I have the day off the Farley will touch the cold stuff.

OZ.
    Been a few decades since I was in Oz, but that's one thing that disappointed me - most parts of Australia don't have much of the 4-seasons. I almost took a job in Tasmania a few years back and still think that might have been cool. my daughter is looking at marine biology programs in Australia, so we'l see :P

Good luck in hunting some white stuff.... ABSOLUTELY roll those fatties through it if you get the chance!
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    G: That's a great health report, sir! Outstanding job. Consider the extra weight the battery and mid drive added to the Sumo and your desire to pedal with the least amount of e-assist as being a great factor in the positive gains you've made.

Surly In Oz: Thank you! Back in the early 90's I was in my canoeing phase. Bought an Old Town Pathfinder 16 footer and set about paddling the Batsto and Mullica Rivers. Was able to finagle a lot of leave days in my CG service to paddle the Delaware River from it's West Branch at Balls Eddy, PA to my hometown, over 300 miles downstream; some 10 days later. Later on, the canoe gave way to the sea kayak as wind on the river was too much at times. The sea kayak took care of that problem, opening up a new way of paddling in the process.

Back to the Mullica: I put in my canoe at a location called Constable Bridge. Here is a picture of the Haibike at Constable Bridge taken last spring on a documented ride I did here:
    Fat Biking and health-atsion-nj-batsto-nj-061.jpg
    I went downstream the Mullica to the "town" of Sweetwater, NJ, where the Mullica was now tidal river. Turned around and paddled back upstream, enjoying the day. Got back to my little Ford Bronco II only to find it was vandalized; the hood and roof were stomped on, the passenger side window glass was shattered, my glovebox rifled through (stupidly, I left my wallet in the glovebox as I did not want to chance it getting wet...the irony). The vandals attempted to steal my Alpine in-dash stereo, but instead of having a phillips screwdriver, they simply used their hands, trying to rip the plastic instrument dash apart. They failed, but not before leaving their blood all over the dash. They even stole my canoe straps; so the Park Ranger was good enough to provide some rope I could tie my canoe up with atop the roof.

That was the end of my canoeing the NJ Pine Barrens and a valuable lesson learned: never leave your vehicle parked unattended outside of the security of a Park Ranger station......

Doctor Pepper: Glad to know they caught that cancer in time. That had to be a very scary moment for you, to learn of what they found.

DirtyHun: I love the sound of whining fat bike tires on asphalt. And it does get the attention of anyone you're coming up on!

Surly In Oz: Forgot to answer your question: It's 26 miles from Homebase to Atsion Ranger Station. Aside from the one trip I did from Homebase to Atsion under battery assist, I just put the Haibike in the back of the pickup and drive down to Atsion....

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks for all the encouragements!

Yesterday was a motor machine day: Over to my mechanic to have the Stealth Spaceship prepped for my Thanksgiving trip to Houston, Texas and back with a light service: oil and filter change, and install a set of high-output H7 headlamp bulbs. Onto Racer to blitz over to the hills for lunch with an old friend. Oooh how that bike sounds and handles now! Dash back home and run the car back up to the mechanic (he found a new o-ring lying on the bench after I left and was concerned that he'd forgotten to install it, but it turned out to be a spare improperly packaged with the oil filter). Back home, back onto Racer and dash up-peninsula for Tuesday night dinner with the moto folks. Then back home after, take the 'Spaceship out to test the headlights on a dark street: big thumbs up. All ready for the open road now...

Whew, I'm exhausted just thinking of all that!! I stopped by the local ice creamery at the end of the headlight test, chatted with the owner for a bit, and picked up a couple of pints to serve as our dessert for the rest of the week. A fitting end to the day.

Today Sumo and I ride again. I think I need a 20 miler...

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    I've stopped riding as much at night as I once did as I have more time during the day, but it's such a different experience that it's still an enjoyable pastime. Riding with others is always more fun too.

I convinced some friends to try a night ride on some nearby fire trails, so I thought I'd better dust off my lights to make sure I had enough to go round, and because my wife is away I could use the dining table to see just what I had.

Fat Biking and health-img_0219.jpg
    Not quite enough bar and helmet lights for the 4 of us, but I think I can borrow some from another friend.

Then fit them on the bike.
    Fat Biking and health-lights-bike.jpg
    Having done that, the obvious next step was to go ride and not just wait until next week with my friends, so it was then just a matter of waiting for it to get dark.

Fat Biking and health-img_0220.jpg
    This is a hazy picture on the edge of a nature park, with Canberra airport in the background. Great t-shirt weather, and just a few too many bugs enjoying the lights.

While I didn't get any pictures of the wildlife there were several mobs of kangaroos, too many rabbits an owl and a couple of possums.

Tim

mtbr member
    I'm traveling again, but it has been too rainy to take on the trails. My wife advised that my light arrived in the mail. I can't wait to try night riding. Unfortunately I'm not sure when that will be, work emergencies will have me buried for the next few days. When I get out I will give a full report.

mtbr member
    Rode in to work and back today. Not bad, as there is a route that mainly follows the canal. 13.9 miles in 62 minutes on the way there, a more leisurely 68 on the way home.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Wombat that's quite a collection of lights

Night riding in Canberra in summer would be fantastic. We were going to head down that way for the weekend but the rainy forecast put those plans on hold. Not going to be much better here in Newcastle, I might be able to sneak in a few rides between rain showers over the next three days.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi DH that's a goood amount of miles, ride that a few times a week and your fitness will go through the roof. How does it compare to driving?

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    Rode in to work and back today. Not bad, as there is a route that mainly follows the canal. 13.9 miles in 62 minutes on the way there, a more leisurely 68 on the way home.
    Doing that regularly will result in better times. And ya get to ride fAt... Doesn't get better than that!

And there is the incredible, shrinking OZ! Wut rain?
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hi DH that's a goood amount of miles, ride that a few times a week and your fitness will go through the roof. How does it compare to driving?

OZ.
    It was a good length. It doubles the commute time, since I can take the freeway in the car, I run a club on Fridays, so I couldn't ride in then, and at this point, I wouldn't want to do it two days running, so I will probably keep it that way, with off-road on Sundays, and a shorter ride after school on Mondays.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Doing that regularly will result in better times. And ya get to ride fAt... Doesn't get better than that!

And there is the incredible, shrinking OZ! Wut rain?

One does not like to get wet down here in OZ

Sam Hill summed it up well, he does not ride his bike in the rain as it will get muddy and then he will have to wash it

Just about to head out for a short spin, more to see how the handle bar set up on the Farley feels after I flipped the stem up the other day.

Might check the rain radar first, you can never be too careful

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    One does not like to get wet down here in OZ

Sam Hill summed it up well, he does not ride his bike in the rain as it will get muddy and then he will have to wash it

Just about to head out for a short spin, more to see how the handle bar set up on the Farley feels after I flipped the stem up the other day.

Might check the rain radar first, you can never be too careful

OZ.
    Had to have some fun with ya OZ!

Mmmm, mud. That stuff's an easy NO! Tears things up in a NY minute.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

A short blast...

Hi everyone, I did manage to fit a short ride in to checkout my new handlebar setup. It even rained on me Banshee

I just hit the trails across the road and on the firebreak between the houses and the bush proof that rain was about

Fat Biking and health-img_3227.jpg

I avoided that puddle and found the trails proper to be dry, this little trail system drys out so quick after rain because of the soil being so rocky and there is not much flat areas around.

The only place that can stay wet is in a small patch of rain forest, the local council built a raised platform through it and it follows along a creek running into the Lake. Always a highlight of these trails.

Fat Biking and health-img_3248.jpg

It twists and turns to spit you out at the start of the climb back to the top of the hill and the enjoyment is brief.

Fat Biking and health-img_3252.jpg

After the climb and descent I was riding along the Lake shore when I noticed that the tide was very low so I dropped onto the pebbly beach to see how far I could ride.

Fat Biking and health-img_3265.jpg

Turned out thanks to the Fat tyres it was all the way around the point. I have not been around there for years, and until today I never imagined that you could ride a bike around it. Plenty of loose pea size gravel mixed with hard rock platforms that had Oysters growing on them. I was hoping that I did not cut a sidewall, made it around fine and only dropped the bike once when I made a poor line choice. Fat Bikes are truly a go anywhere machine.

One of the small caves I used to play in as a kid.

Fat Biking and health-img_3273.jpg

Still a kid now I suppose, just that my bike is better and each moment outside is cherished.

The last part of the shore had some nice rock slabs and I was giggling like a kid at Christmas as I rode over them.

Fat Biking and health-img_3289.jpg

It was raining softly on me by this time Banshee but I did not care

Fat Biking and health-img_3295.jpg

Last one before the rain came down.

Fat Biking and health-img_3297.jpg

A short ride home, handle bars felt great and me even better. The Fat Bike remains the most fun bike I own, take it anywhere, ride anything and you will always come home with a smile on your face.

OZ.

FB&H rider

ride report

Good stuff and nice pics OZ! Your Trek looks happy to be out and about.

It's twin (My Farley) was also happy to commute to work today.

Distance: 33.89km (a little over 20 miles)
    Time: 2:13
    Descent: 1700ft
    Ascent: 890ft
    Conditions: Dark until the last 20 min. About 1C/34F temp. FOGGY; I couldn't go fast down the hills at all because I couldn't see more than 20 feet in front of me the whole time I was on the mountain. In town it was a little better as the street lights helped.
    There was snow at the top of the mountain, but the rest was quite muddy and wet.
    I had two unplanned getoffs due to the limited visibility and slick surfaces, both at low speeds.

Thankfully, someone had doughnuts in the office when I arrived and the shower in the clinic was hotter than at my house.

Fat Biking and health-17-nov-17-muddy-commute.jpg

Due to the darkness only pic is on arrival - it definitely doesn't do justice to the mud that coated me when I got to work!

I hope to continue making this ride 1-2x per week.

mtbr member
    Riding in in the darkness was interesting for me, too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    It's really good to see others on this list continuing to get out there as Fall descends upon us in North America. Even though I'm in California, average temperatures are declining and we're getting a bit more rain around this area now.. I don't like to ride in the rain, cool to cold doesn't bother me so much, and the dark—well, that's what they make headlights for, eh?

However, it's getting close to my limit for shorts and a light overshirt for warmth. I'm a couple of sizes smaller now than I was in April so I think that I'll be able to find a good warm set of the right fit in bicycle pants and bicycle jersey now that I like. I'm very fussy about the fit...

Be that as it may, I've been out riding three or four times this week for 10-15 mile sessions; it's been a whirlwind here and I'm losing track. But today is a significant mileage day: on today's ride I will pass 1000 miles of riding Sumo since April. I'll try to stop when I see the odometer click over to four digits and record the moment.

After today's ride, I'll be off the bike for a week and some. One piece of the whirlwind has been prepping the car for my Thanksgiving trip—a 4,000 mile round trip from San Jose, California to Houston, Texas. I leave tomorrow about noon. I'm pretty excited! I've not been on this long a solo road trip in quite a few years, since 2006, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'll try to post one more time with my "Thousand Mile Picture" before I go, but if I forget: a Happy Thanksgiving to all! See you on the other side of 4000 miles from now...

onwards!
    G

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    I'm a couple of sizes smaller now than I was in April so I think that I'll be able to find a good warm set of the right fit in bicycle pants and bicycle jersey now that I like. <snip>

After today's ride, I'll be off the bike for a week and some. One piece of the whirlwind has been prepping the car for my Thanksgiving trip—a 4,000 mile round trip from San Jose, California to Houston, Texas. I leave tomorrow about noon. I'm pretty excited! I've not been on this long a solo road trip in quite a few years, since 2006, and I'm really looking forward to it.

onwards!
    G
    Great job!!!!

Have a great trip!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Pepper thats a brutal commute, for length and weather conditions. makes my few km's to and from work seem silly.

Still a guilt free doughnut at the end makes it all worth while

And yes the Farley was glad to be out of the shed and on the trails.

OZ.
    Last edited by Surly in OZ; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G enjoy the road trip, stay safe out there.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Dropped the van at a friend's shop to have an emissions issue traced and repaired, rode the fat bike home. 10 miles in 42 minutes.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    I'm traveling with my bike, but there has been so much rain that I may need to build an ark. My travels will take me to sandy trails tomorrow, hopefully they will be in good enough shape to ride (without wrecking them).

mtbr member
    Send some of that rain this way. Been a while since there was water on the ground.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi guy's I have the beach for the times that are truly wet. Still remember the look on a friends face when I mentioned thats one of the reasons I brought a fat bike, rain cannot stop play.

The main trail system around here can take along time to dry out. The beach is always ready to ride.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks for the trip wishes! It should be a lot of fun. :-)

It was a cold ride this morning! I left home at 8:15 with the temperature hovering at 39°F ... It warmed up to 45°F by the time I arrived at Guadalupe River Park in San Jose. At that point there were three miles to go before hitting the 1000 mile mark.

As luck would have it, the 1000 mile mark was achieved just as I reached Mission City Creamery, the local ice cream parlor owned and run by my friend Chris. So I stopped there to make my 1000 mile photos ...

And no, I did not have any ice cream at that point. Temperatures on the way back were up into the low 50° range, but still a bit too chilly! The creamery is about two miles from home, just a pleasant little bit of back street surburban riding.

onwards,
    G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Good stuff, G!! You made a milestone that has proven your persistence and perseverance have paid great dividends.

Now you're hooked on riding bikes once again and it's been an entirely new experience with the advent of fat and the "e" option.

OZ!! Nice pix up the thread! In my part of the world, a cloudburst can turn up with a moment's notice! The saying "if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes" is very true. Might get soaking wet but ya ride and get a wind dry free of cost!

Once the snow starts to fly, it's gonna get good! The Mayor will be a load of fun in the high country for Global Fatbike Day! Air down the tires and ride the snowmobile trails for a few hours and following it up with BBQ. Hope to have a campfire jump session as usual tradition as well!

Spoke with the Bear a couple days ago. He's well and been riding lately. Hope to see him posting again soon.

Tex, How the hell do you wreck sand? Wet or dry... It will be back to what it was with weather in short order. Mud however, is a different story.
    Needless to say, hope you get an opportunity to hit the trail and have a good time.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Went for my first cool ride of the year real feel was 41. I wasn't properly dressed for it and it was very windy so was a little cold but plan on riding all year round. I just returned from a first cruise ship trip. I was shocked to see how many people are so out of shape, it's a great motivator to keep riding year round. Can't wait to ride my first snow.

mtbr member
    79 degrees outside currently. We've not had a day below 68 yet.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It's been too wet and I've been too busy to ride lately. Looking forward to the cold and snow. Last year I had two rides where my water bottle froze solid! Only got about 4 good snow rides, so hopefully more this year.

Spent the morning working on my Ogre. I swapped out the mtb BB7 brakes with a road set I had in the parts bin. The mtb brakes weren't cutting it since I switched to drop bars and Apex shifters. They are rock solid now.

FB&H rider
    Didn't get to ride on Sat, so went out yesterday with my buddy; my wife admonished me to be back in 2 hours.....
    My buddy heads up the hill and points to the next mountain over, says: "see that tower over there? I want to get to it."
    We did, but 3 hours later, 1800 feet of climb and 20 miles often through thick mud it was totally dark by the time we got home. Thankfully he had a light with him (mine was on my Trek).
    Still, a fun ride with all kinds of shenanigans!

Fat Biking and health-19-nov-17-tower.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Pepper, nice one now you have a week to get back in the good books

OZ

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G you are a better man than me, I would have had an ice cream

If a friend lived that close to me and had an ice cream shop, he would be my best friend

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I'm a bit east of Albuquerque right now, stopped for a break. Chilly this morning, and clear weather, wide open country here. Nice trip so far, I spent a little time meandering around Winslow AZ yesterday.

Press on!
    G

mtbr member
    Well, I finally had a chance to try out my light. I am up in Michigan and took a ride on sandy Singletrack in the middle of nowhere. It was really cool. Whitetail deer are very active at night and they were everywhere. I wish I would have bought a light sooner, what a cool experience.

mtbr member
    Winslow is a fun, sleepy little place. I was there recently for the pumpkin festival.

mtbr member
    Did a little exploratory ride. About 8 miles, crossing washes, railroads, under roads, along canals. Nice, relaxed cruise.Fat Biking and health-img_20171122_141957113.jpg
    2016 El Oso Grande

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Spoke to the Bear today. He's doing well and riding the fatty a few times a week and hangin in there.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Happy Thanksgiving, folks.

Fat Biking and health-turkeybike.png
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I hope all'y'all have had a great holiday!

I made Houston last evening around 7pm, and it's been a giggle with my uncle, cousin and her family, all day long. It was 1950 miles driving here.

I'm taking a different route home, and looking forward to seeing some territory I'd passed through years ago once again. But I cant wait to get home and go for another ride on Sumo and Racer... Two wheels are so much more fun than four wheels, despite that four wheels work so well for covering big distance.

G

mtbr member
    Glad you had a safe trip, G.

I agree about four wheels making long trips easier, but some of the most memorable long trips I've taken have been on motorcycles. Did a 2000 mile R/T tour of the entire California coastline one year, a 1500 mile trip around Arizona, and several other trips to Colorado and NM.

It's coming time to do another!
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Glad you had a safe trip, G.

I agree about four wheels making long trips easier, but some of the most memorable long trips I've taken have been on motorcycles. Did a 2000 mile R/T tour of the entire California coastline one year, a 1500 mile trip around Arizona, and several other trips to Colorado and NM.

It's coming time to do another!
    Oh yeah ... I've driven across the USA about four, maybe five times, but I've ridden back and forth across the USA, and gone north as far as Hudson Bay, south as far as Mexico City, at least twenty times on my motorcycles. But at this time of year it's already a pretty rugged trip across the Rockies and through the western states, I couldn't rely on making the 500 miles/day I needed for this trip. I circumnavigated the entire USA in 1984, a trip that ran almost 17,000 miles. Took me from May to September... stopping along the way at various points to visit people, to work and raise some money, etc. A great trip!

I can't wait for Spring when I'll take Racer up to Washington state to visit a friend there, and to other points.

mtbr member
    I hear you about the Rockies. I've had some great trips through them, but the weather up there will be turning (though it is crisp and clear at present in good old Telluride) soon and can be a bit less than cooperative.

I'm busy restoring an '82 CB900f, but when it is done, it will see some long road trips-possibly one to Cleveland over the summer.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Still hanging in over here in Michigan (downriver area, just a couple miles from Detroit). I don't ride nearly as much as I'd like to, but I get some very short rides in now and then.

Recently ridden once or twice in 30* weather, it wasn't bad at all, but that's easy to say since my rides are only 3-4 miles at a time.

I really do love this bike (Felt DD-30), I just don't have the conditioning to ride it very far. Working on it, but health reasons make it more challenging than I'd like it to be.

In the 9 months that I've had the bike I've only managed to put just over 200 miles on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXRTURBO1 View Post
    Still hanging in over here in Michigan (downriver area, just a couple miles from Detroit). I don't ride nearly as much as I'd like to, but I get some very short rides in now and then.

Recently ridden once or twice in 30* weather, it wasn't bad at all, but that's easy to say since my rides are only 3-4 miles at a time.

I really do love this bike (Felt DD-30), I just don't have the conditioning to ride it very far. Working on it, but health reasons make it more challenging than I'd like it to be.

In the 9 months that I've had the bike I've only managed to put just over 200 miles on it.
    Get out on it regularly, focus on quality over quantity; sprint work is a great way to do that. You can get a great workout in under 10 miles, and then, when your legs and lungs are conditioned, you can start adding distance.

I say that from experience. I used to ride a ton in the '90's. Then, grad work, profession, and a marriage (still on good terms after a divorce ) diverted me fully into the gym. I got back into competitive powerlifting, and didn't get back into bikes for a while, until the SS bug bit me. Built a sub-18 pound bike, broke stuff too often (225 pound riders will do that), then went 27.5 and built a sweet hard tail that ... just didn't do it for me.

In the meantime, I had gotten heavily into hiking and thought my conditioning was great-until I found fat bikes and started spinning pedals again. My fitness is literally and metaphorically miles ahead now, and I find 20+ mile rides a cinch, even averaging 13+ mph (which is a bit of work on 4.9's).

Just get on that bike and GO.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thanks, really good advice, especially the sprinting/pushing part. I've got a couple of additional obstacles in the way regarding health, but the approach you mentioned will benefit me even in my situation.

Truly appreciate your input and suggestions!

mtbr member
    Happy you're here, participating in this thread. These guys are the kindest, coolest folks on MTBR!
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Welcome to the thread!

As DH said, just keep at it. Short bursts are fine!

When I tossed myself into cycling again, I could barely walk a half mile without serious problems and exhaustion. At that time, a five mile ride seemed a very long way. Now, on a typical day, I'll blast through a 15-20 mile ride, walk three miles to get lunch, go out for another 8 mile ride for coffee, or take the motorcycle out for a little 60 mile scoot through the wiggles. I couldn't even ride the motorcycle until I'd gotten some legs back!

It does take some commitment, and if you have other issues hampering your activity they need to be addressed too. But keep going at it at whatever pace you can manage! It's all good for you.

mtbr member
    Just back from a little under 7 miles of fun off road. Did Little Leaf to Gold Mine to San Tan to Stargazer to San Tan, out to Moonlight, back down Stargazer.
    Fat Biking and health-img_20171125_130713091.jpg

So nice to be blasting around trails in 80 degrees!
    Fat Biking and health-img_20171125_134249558.jpg
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Turbo I hope this place gives you the spark to get out on the bike. Might be a little hard with what I mush be a harsh winter in your parts. Like a lost of us have learned a little ride as often as possible will ease health problems and soon have you knocking out the miles.

And remember Fat Bikes are made for winter

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice rides DH, looks like the worst of the winter will pass you by. And your bike is made for those trails.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

A mid week ride...

Hi everyone a few shots from my Wednesday ride, work killed Thursday, Friday and Saturday and here we are at the end of another week.

Only had time to spin around the trails at home again, so I followed the outer trail around the edge of the system to look for any trials that I have missed.

I dropped down into a section of jumps that some kids have built and rebuilt over the years. Me, I will stick to easy trails.

Fat Biking and health-img_2078.jpg

I came across a sign claiming that the land was private, which I know its not but left it for another day and followed the trail down to the lake shore.

Maybe I should have spent the day fishing...

Fat Biking and health-img_2093.jpg

This was the start of the foreshore and the tide was low again so I set off to see if I could ride all the way around the points back home.

From here you can see the Watagans National Park across the lake from my ride of a few weeks ago.

Fat Biking and health-img_2099.jpg

Looking along the shore we can see the first of the points to go around and get some idea of the rocky terrain.

Fat Biking and health-img_2104.jpg

I did say rocky...

Fat Biking and health-img_2114.jpg

And you can see some of the Oysters I was worried about slashing my tyres open.

This next one is from halfway home looking back.

Fat Biking and health-img_2134.jpg

One good thing about riding the shore was no nasty climbs that I would have made on the trails to get this far home.

But without a Fat Bike I could never ride this shoreline.

Fat Biking and health-img_2124.jpg

The Farley rolled over this stuff like it was a smooth road

Just as I was about to leave the shoreline I came across a Diamond Python. Took me a minute to realise that he was dead.

Fat Biking and health-img_2146.jpg

Looked like he had wrapped around another snake and lost the fight. A shame because he was a beautiful snake.

From here it was up hill to one of my favourite part of trail. Its beautiful at the top with the sunlight bursting through the canopy of trees. And many birds fill the air with their songs.

Fat Biking and health-img_2161.jpg

No more climbing from here it all down hill back to my house...

Fat Biking and health-img_2158.jpg

the best way to end a ride.

Hope you all mange to find the time to ride.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Oz, you have such glorious territory right there at home!

How big was the python?
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    DH and OZ are giving a taste of weather we won't see for a few months. It's OK, that's what warm clothes are for...

We had a visitor over the Thanksgiving holiday from Manchester, England. He is a student at a nearby University and he would have been stuck on campus. My son and I took him for a ride on the local trails and he had a great time. I never ride my 29er anymore and I thought about selling it, but it is great to have on hand to introduce new people to the sport.

It was a perfect day, 50 degrees, sunny, windless, and dry. The trails had dried out, so it was a great day to ride.Fat Biking and health-image.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Tex, that's so cool! I bet he loved it.

Went hiking this morning with my best friend, his daughter and her friend. Just a little 3.2 mile out and back called the Wind Cave Trail. It's pretty vertical, so you get a good workout. I did the 1.6 up in 20 minutes, which was cruisin'. The "cave" is at the dacite level you can see as a yellow-green band. It's a trail we've done half a dozen times, but it's a good one.

Fat Biking and health-img_20171126_090102154.jpg

Quite a pack of little ground squirrels up there-unafraid due to all of the hikers who feed them.

Fat Biking and health-img_20171126_075631710.jpg
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Flew into Key West on Wednesday the 15th for a wedding on Sunday. I fished a charter on Thursday with the groom, his dad & family. Caught some fish and had it cooked at the pool bar on Friday. We fed everyone at the bar and the workers.
    Saturday I walked off the island and rented a bike.
    Fat Biking and health-img_3517.jpg
    I had it until Tuesday and only cost me $51. Nice deal
    Pedaled the island on Saturday, Sunday & Monday. It was warm and breezy. The island is 4 mile long and 2 wide. Set up for biking, it's how most of the people get around there.
    Fat Biking and health-img_3536.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_a76.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_3624.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_3627.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_3628.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_3633.jpg

mtbr member
    My sister and her husband used to go to Key West every year, along with France. Been to France quite a few times, but never Key West. I want to visit it, and that bike rental makes it more alluring still, Chief!
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Oz...fantastic pics. I'd love to ride there some day!

I got in a pretty nice ride on Friday with the guy I go bikepacking with. We were planning our 2018 trips during our breaks. He recently sold his Pugsley and picked up a '16 Mukluk. Awesome day. Probably my last ride for a couple of weeks....

Been more off than on the bike lately, but 2 ride reports to report. But first, really appreciate all of the great ride reports and accompanying pictures to go with them. It really helps beef up the reporting, gives the reader an idea of the kind of territory y'all pedal in.

Surly In Oz: Dead python or not, coming upon something like that really triggers some basic instinct in all of us. As usual, great vistas from your homeland travels. And the black and white photos really adds to the mood, especially when there is a freight train of clouds in the background.

Dr Pepper: Fog.....that must have been a new and different perspective encountering fog. So rare are the days around here anymore when the fog comes creeping in. Now back on active duty on the Delaware River, boy, we had some missions in fog to go out in. Back then, the Delaware was a more commercially active river and there was something about going up or down that river, knowing a 500 foot freighter was passing you on your port side, yet you did not hear it but for it's fog horn; while up ahead of us, a tug pushing a fuel barge headed towards Hess Delair. You could here those main diesel engines chugging along somewhere in front of you. Fog so thick, you could not see 3 feet beyond the bow. Great times! Your own memory brought back some of my own, long ago now; but just as fresh today as when it went down in 1980 or so....

G: 1 Thousand Miles! Congrats! And you did it the hard way, using those low power settings, in effect, pedaling a 50 pound bike with minimal assist. I love better the benefits you have gained since coming onboard here. Here is to the next thousand!

DirtyHun: Love those desert panoramas you show us! Almost can imagine some Apache warriors up on the ridge, looking down at these weird contraptions, with ballon wagon wheels as you pedal on by.....

TexMex: Wonderful gesture to invite that young college student to some off-road bicycling!

Chief: Nice reports, nice pictures. Vacation time and partying about in the nice, warm weather is over, time to hit the local trails! Just got back from a canal run from Washington Crossing to Bulls Island, crossing into PA and going down to New Hope and crossing back over to NJ.....hardly anybody on the trails as a cold wind was blowing along the river.

Terry: Nice looking fatty's there! Looking forward to some bikepacking trips, when you get back on the fatty again.

Wombat: You've got some serious candlepower going on there!

Stager: This thread is open 12 months of the year, so looking forward to your winter ride reports!

GSXR: Keep at it, my friend. In 2013, I decided, after laying off of bikes completely for over a decade, to get back into bicyling again, to maintain health and to hopefully get back into some long distance runs with an eye towards overnighting. Bought a new Trek Soho DLX. And let me tell ya, I could go no more than a mile on that bike before I got winded. I thought, sea kayaking did not prepare me for bicycling. That mile was tough, tough. But after each trip, I worked a little longer ride than the last.....and yada yada yada, I'm riding a Specialized Fatboy for 30-40-50-60...80 mile runs; documented a bit further back in this thread. But to think.....it ALL started with an out of breath, out of condition pedal down the road from homebase! If I can do it, I know you can, too!

Since this is Fatbiking & Health, time to take my daily meds and finagle up a ride report or two.....

Mike

26 Nov 2017 Ride Report: Back To The Towpaths

Destination: Washington Crossing (NJ) State Park, Delaware & Raritan Canal to Bulls Island, NJ...crossing the Delaware River over the John A Roebling pedestrian suspension bridge to Lumberville, PA and the Pennsylvania Canal, southbound to New Hope, PA, crossing back over the Delaware River to Lambertville, NJ then south to Washington Crossing State Park and completion of the ride....whew!

Distance: 29.7 miles
    Average Speed: 12.0 mph
    Maximum Speed: 20.8 mph
    Odometer: 3705 miles
    Battery Percentage Remaining: 18%
    Estimated Mileage Left in Battery: 7 miles

Haibike Full FatSix

Weather: Windy, Cold, 47 degrees with wind chill!

Notes: Far cry from a typical Sunday morning/afternoon in spring or summer as the crowd numbers were down in Lambertville and New Hope, the 2 trendy towns on this run............Hardly any bike riders to note on the trails, either!..........15psi in the Jumbo Jims.........This and the strong head wind going northbound contributed to my mileage being lower than normal on this run, based on past experience.........Hard to process that there are still leaves in full autumn colors on the trees this far north, this far into November. I honestly cannot recall this occuring ever........temperatures due to moderate to over 60 degrees late next week........

Belated Ride Report wtih Pics-Penn Branch MTB Trail-Wharton State Forest

Instead of starting at Atsion Ranger station and pedaling 10 miles to the start point of this run at Batsto, NJ, I simply drove to the Batsto Historic Site and parked there, beginning the run with full battery power on the Haibike Full FatSix. The goal was to do the 19 mile single track Penn Branch MTB trail inside the forest; but was yet to see if the major forest fire of this past summer, would keep me from completing it. As it turned out, a small wooden bike bridge over a stream was burnt 3/4 of the way across, stopping the ride. So anyways, here are some photos of the run.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2881.jpg
    At the start of the run, at Batsto Village, NJ. A cold, blustery day, very much like my last run documented in this thread of a week or so ago.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2882.jpg
    A couple miles into the forest. This trail was created and is actively maintained by some dedicated mountain bikers. There are two courses, a short and long one. The plan is to go the full distance, the 19 mile course. But I have my doubts due to the major fire that did a lot of damage to this forest, last summer.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2884.jpg
    Wooden bike bridge. Reports have it there is another one like this that was damaged by fire, a bit further in the run.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2885.jpg
    Mile marker post. The course direction is marked by orange or green reflectors nailed onto trees along the way. It is very easy to get lost out here; especially as I don't have a GPS nor do I know how to work the one I have for my boat project; which is a small monochrome Garmin Map 76
    Fat Biking and health-100_2886.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_2887.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_2888.jpg
    3 pictures of some real devastation caused by that major fire. Forest fires are part of the story of the NJ Pine Barrens since the first settlers in NJ came over from Europe. Not far from here, my ride on this course was done as I came upon the burned bike bridge, so I just made my way in the forest, finding some old, abandoned single track which sure looked like it was blazed for mountain biking. Eventually, I wound up on the sand road called Washington Turnpike and made my way back to Batsto.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2889.jpg
    Here is that abandoned single track. I say abandoned cause there are no tree markers anywhere, indicating this is or was, part of the Penn Branch Bike Trail. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the area can help me out here.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2891.jpg
    That single track eventually led to a wider "road" within the forest and took me here, to the intersection at Washington Turnpike. Looking eastward.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2892.jpg
    Looking westward and towards Batsto in the distance. The last time I was on this road, it was much, much narrower, more confined within the forest. By the looks of things, the forest service ripped out a lot of forest growth alongside this "turnpike", creating a more realistic fire break for any future fires to encounter.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2893.jpg
    This explains better what I just tried to explain!
    Fat Biking and health-100_2895.jpg
    Back where I started. All told, close to 20 miles running in tight single track (a bit tricky in between trees with that Ortlieb front commuter bag...... with some sand roads mixed in. 10 psi tire pressures.

Link for Penn Branch Mountain Bike Trail: The Penn Branch Trail

Mike

mtbr member
    Forestry Service is something I have often thought I would have enjoyed as a career.
    2016 El Oso Grande

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Good Lord, Mike! My Jumbo Jim's aren't quite that nice looking after two years fo the Mayor wearing em! The lettering is all yellowed now.

This weekend bought some practice time to Sarge. Gotta keep up the trials skills. Also broke out the Red Sky for some trials. Kinda forgot how fun the trials bike really is to play with. The little fellow is not designed for anything but trials. An extremely light and agile bike, indeed!

Fat Biking and health-image.jpg
    KOXX Red Sky

No, there is no provision for a seat post and seat since they are only deadweight and in the way.

Chief, sounds like you had a good time! A rental sure does keep ya pedaling but you were prolly longing for your +bike with the sweet, fatter tires for that magic carpet ride.
    Doctor recommended...

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXRTURBO1 View Post

As the others said - glad you're still hanging in there - and the best key of all is just do it! The more times you're out there, the better you get!
    I know that I've been riding with a bunch of guys on regular MTB bikes, and while they can stay ahead of me - pushing the 4.7s is work - I'm getting better all the time. I'm trying to get between 50-100km each week and my body thanks me!

Good Lord, Mike! My Jumbo Jim's aren't quite that nice looking after two years fo the Mayor wearing em! The lettering is all yellowed now.

This weekend bought some practice time to Sarge. Gotta keep up the trials skills. Also broke out the Red Sky for some trials. Kinda forgot how fun the trials bike really is to play with. The little fellow is not designed for anything but trials. An extremely light and agile bike, indeed!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	1169441
    KOXX Red Sky

No, there is no provision for a seat post and seat since they are only deadweight and in the way.
    MUST see some videos!

Nice rides Oz! I love the pics! Sad to see the python down

I didn't have a chance to ride this weekend as Thanksgiving kept the family busy, and then Sunday I was fighting a bug... probably will have to wait until I commute to work on Friday to get another ride in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Oz, you have such glorious territory right there at home!

How big was the python?
    Hi DH, thanks not a day goes by when I don't think how lucky I am to live down here.

As for the python he was possibly five and a half to six feet long, so a good size. The largest that I have seen was well over eight feet long stretched out across a dirt road on the way back from a surf one day. His head was off the edge of the road and he did not move until I got out of the 4wd and rubbed his back. And he slowly set off into the bush.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tex, nice images always great to have a spare bike to loan out or just to ride something different sometimes.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi DH that squirrel looks like a rock wallaby not as big though.

Nice country again.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Chief that looks beautiful no wonder people retire down there.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mike great ride, handy to have a car to quickly kill the road mile to get to the start of a ride. Cannot help you with the trails but on goggle maps you can see a few trails snaking of the Washington Turnpike.

Next stop for you will be a ride along Long Beach Island, looks made for a Fat Bike cruise.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Banshee, thanks for putting the idea of owning a trials bike out there

Sounds like a lot of fun and great for the mountain bike skills as well.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks Mike!

I'm still traveling in my Stealth Spaceship ... Can't wait to get home and get back on the two wheelers! But yesterday was a glorious long run from Gallup, NM to just south of Las Vegas, NV—the little Merc just flies, a great travel machine.

I stopped for a break at Meteor Crater, AZ and spent an hour there. It's quite the special place ... Here's a quick pano made with iPhone.

I'll be home this evening.

Onwards!
    G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-b4864a12-ab14-4a7c-99a6-25a0376a3c48.jpg  

mtbr member
    Meteor Crater is a great place. I often stop there when I do rides across the state. The vista is impressive, for sure!
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Another impressive moment on today's drive: FIERCE winds and sand storm in the Nevada/California junction area. I think the prevailing wind was 30-40 mph with gusts up to about 60 mph. This photo was taken about noon ... and that's about how bright it was ... There were times when I had to slow to a walking pace because I couldn't see more than ten feet or so through the muck. Tractor trailers were snaking all over the road on the interstate... My infrared curb/parking sensor was being triggered over and over again.

Freekin' intense!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-45b84b5a-f12b-4a59-8f83-29f608037793.jpg  

mtbr member
    You should try a haboob, G! Nothing quite like one.
    2016 El Oso Grande

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Kinda like to avoid Phoenix when those crop up!

I've happened into fog in the Mojave desert that was so thick you couldn't see more than 2 lane markers ahead. Not fun to be in any of those conditions.
    Doctor recommended...

Wade: Approaching 4000 miles and the tires are holding up nice, considering. Very impressed with the Schwalbes. As far as letter fading on the sidewalls......who knows? I do wipe the bike and tire sidewalls after every ride with a automotive type spray detailer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Rolled into my garage last evening at 8:30pm. What a last day!

The Stealth Spaceship performed brilliantly throughout the entire 4,050 mile/9 day trip.

I did okay too, for a 'getting older' guy. The 800-900 mile days of my youth are behind me: I get too tired after about 8-10 hours driving now to be safe, even with a lot of rest stops. My night vision is degraded too—busy two-lane after dark renders me blinded by oncoming cars too easily. In the future, I'll plan my road trips to be mostly daylight driving with a daily target down in the 450-500 mile range at best. I can live with that ... literally.

Another good thing: I weighed myself this morning. I was feeling bloated and achey when I arrived home last evening, nine days without a ride and mostly sitting, driving—plus Thanksgiving Day feasting. Well, the scale tells me that I've actually dropped another pound over the past week. Yes!

But one thing remains constant and has been reinforced yet again. I LOVE being out on the open road! Interstate, fast two-lanes, wiggly bits in the hills, places to stop and see, new people to talk to and discover their stories, kids seeing things for the first time, old folks revisiting the world they remember ... Just Love It ALL!

And now: I can't wait to get out on Sumo and Racer!

onwards!
    G

"A true journey, no matter how long the travel takes, has no end."
    - William Least Heat Moon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-000-gdg_at_meteor_crater-01.jpg  

Last edited by ramarren; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    DH:

That video captures it nicely!
    This storm down south was very much like that: blinding, intense, etc. I've only been through something like this once before.

G

mtbr member
    They are brutal, the haboobs. Every year, they are just as wild.

Congrats on the weight loss-and the completion of the stealth spaceship's mission, G!
    2016 El Oso Grande

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post

Another good thing: I weighed myself this morning. I was feeling bloated and achey when I arrived home last evening, nine days without a ride and mostly sitting, driving—plus Thanksgiving Day feasting. Well, the scale tells me that I've actually dropped another pound over the past week. Yes!
    Yes, the awesome thing is that you've convinced your body that it's supposed to be a lower weight (you're moving your 'set point') and so once in a while you can afford to take a little time off without messing up the downward trend; as long as you get back to your regularly scheduled programming, your body will keep seeking a new lower and healthier weight!

I'm a very stocky guy but weight hasn't ever been my focus; it's been within 15-20 lbs of what I weighed in college to this day... I focus on trying to burn off fat and replace it with healthier stuff

My regular riding buddies - being skinny MTB types - have started falling by the wayside as temps drop. A couple of them might be convinced to ride my second fatbike this winter (part of why I bought a second), but I'm getting excited for the second biking season for fatties!
    There was snow on the ground again at my place this morning, although it doesn't tend to stick around all winter, it happens often enough to make for some fun times.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    G, glad to hear the trip was uneventful and the scale reported good news as well. Gotta say, you have done well from the beginning to now.
    The perseverance has paid off nicely. Would be my luck, a car like that would get me tawkin to a police officer, I'm afraid! What a fun vehicle tho...

Pepper, you'll make some fat converts yet!
    The Mayor isn't amused by the unseasonably warm fall, thus far. The only good news is that I haven't had to change his shoes yet! That will be a time consuming ordeal, as the Mayor is tubeless... Hmmm, he's not wearing socks.... The Bud/Lou are the best tires I've ridden in snow, so I do look forward to getting em back on.

Mike, I think part of the discoloration on my JJ's is from the sealant in the tires. Would be really nice if there was a super light tube, similar to the tubes I use in the Wildcat's 3.0's.
    Those are so light that the tires feel as tho they are tubeless. Glad to hear your tires are serving well. My liteskin 4.8's are in remarkably good condition with only minor wear. Very pleased with them, indeed.
    Doctor recommended...

G: Don't feel too bad about the headlights at night. No doubt our night vision degrades as we have gotten older, but I'm more convinced the modern day headlamps are at the root cause for our issues. Some of them are flat out obnoxious. And it's all due to the relaxing of light standards in the quest for manufacturer's distinctive styling statements in the front end of these cars. Gone are the days when all cars were designed around either a round or rectangular sealed beam headlamp that can go from one car design to the other.

Toss into the equation improperly adjusted headlamps and a personal observation around here: distracted drivers (cell phone?) who are very slow in extinguishing their high beams. Especially bad when you are on a single lane country road....

mtbr member
    I'm mounting additional lights on the brick-like face of my Chevy van. I love old fashioned (read: easily enhanced) vehicle lighting systems.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Had a walkdown in Bergen County NJ. I got it done and got home early. A lil something to eat, stretch (knee was tight from the walking) and out on the bike. I hit the wharf / river on the way out. Headed down an abandoned roadway towards the river and behind the old Rohm & Haas plant (Maple Beach towards the BBB). Through the bull rushes, no deer to be seen. Along Rout 413 away from the BBB. Back into town and past the Firehouse. Out into the Township and some power lines. Into Silver Lake park.

10 miles along mostly trails in this beautiful weather. Nothing better

Away from the powerlines into the park
    Fat Biking and health-img_3682a.jpg
    Nice path, protected from the wind. A good winter riding spot
    Fat Biking and health-img_3683a.jpg
    A lil pond at the visitors center
    Fat Biking and health-img_3687a.jpg
    The park.
    Fat Biking and health-img_3688.jpg

I re-sized them.
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 1 Week Ago at 05:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Cool pictures of the sand storms but I have no desire to see a sandstorm in person. Give me the lush green landscapes any day and every day. I once met a guy from New Mexico who was living in Tennessee. He said he couldn't wait to get back to NM because "it's too green, it actually hurt my eyes when I first moved here". So different strokes for different folks.

I've been riding at night, so no pictures. My son's new galaxy phone takes amazing low light pictures, but my old phone does not. So you just need to trust me, it's beautiful. Tonight's ride will be in Michigan.

mtbr member
    Sua cuique, as they say. There is a magic to the desert and mountains out here that can grab your soul. I spent my early childhood in rural Ohio, and I enjoy visiting, but the rugged terrain of Arizona-as well as its incredible variety-have truly captivated me.
    2016 El Oso Grande

Wade: Yep, fair bet that your tire discoloration is due to your sealant permeating into the tire rubber.

Chief: Nice trails there at Silver Lake.

G: Impressive shot at Meteor Crater. Looks like something I'd walk up for the first time and just look and look, taking in the magnitude of what happened there eons ago.

Past 2 days, 2 runs up the Lock 1, D&R Canal Towpath. Yesterday I brought my Silky 350mm hand saw with me to cut up a downed small tree that has been blocking the path for several months now. I really love that saw, it makes nice work of cutting a tree easy peasy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    G, glad to hear the trip was uneventful and the scale reported good news as well. Gotta say, you have done well from the beginning to now.
    The perseverance has paid off nicely. Would be my luck, a car like that would get me tawkin to a police officer, I'm afraid! What a fun vehicle tho...
    Thank you! Not done yet...

I did spend a little time chatting with a handsome young Texas Highway Patrol officer on the way. He hit me with a radar detector just as I crested a rise and prepared to pass a truck that I'd been following on a one-lane for some miles ... I saw that the road was going to a two-lane section and he was pulling to the right lane, so I was just going to pass and drop back to the (75 mph) speed limit. I explained that to the officer, and we ended up chatting about why I was traveling from California, family, Thanksgiving, etc.

He stops for a moment and says, "Hmm. You seem pretty relaxed to chat with a police officer when you're being stopped for speeding."

I replied, "Well, officer, I was a bit of a rascal when I was younger and ended up chatting with a lot of handsome young officers like you. But now I'm just an old man and like to stick to the speed limit..." and smiled.

He gave out a big belly laugh, "Well, old man, you got a way. I'm just going to give you a warning. Y'all have a nice Thanksgiving with your uncle!"

My cousin's husband said, when I told him the story, "Damn, you charmed him! I wish I could do that. I'd have gotten a ticket!"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    G: Don't feel too bad about the headlights at night. No doubt our night vision degrades as we have gotten older, but I'm more convinced the modern day headlamps are at the root cause for our issues. Some of them are flat out obnoxious. And it's all due to the relaxing of light standards in the quest for manufacturer's distinctive styling statements in the front end of these cars. Gone are the days when all cars were designed around either a round or rectangular sealed beam headlamp that can go from one car design to the other.

Toss into the equation improperly adjusted headlamps and a personal observation around here: distracted drivers (cell phone?) who are very slow in extinguishing their high beams. Especially bad when you are on a single lane country road....
    I can't quite agree with the assessment of those old "sealed beam" headlights. Modern automotive lighting is actually safe at FAR higher speeds than those old things, which were a standardization attempt to UPGRADE lighting left over from 1935 ... before which automotive lighting was really and truly dangerously all over the map. Those sealed beams were designed for night driving at an average of 40 mph; by the 1960s, they were woefully out of date with actual highway speeds and we were all overdriving our lights by a factor of two.

Maladjusted headlights are the biggest problems in actual lighting with modern headlights ... I spent quite a bit of time fitting better bulbs and carefully adjusting my headlights to illuminate the road properly while not dazzling the eyes of oncoming drivers.

The problems I'm facing are without a doubt my eyes: they're just not able to accommodate the bright/dark lighting situations as well as they once did. I will ask my opthalmologist if there are any solutions to this, but I think I know the answer already.

Aging sucks. Unfortunately, the alternatives are limited ... and no better.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    G, some of the composite headlight systems out there also succumb to heat damage over time that distorts the reflector in the assembly. This is a problem with plastic being used instead of glass which at the temperature a car is exposed to is highly stable. You are absolutely right about the adjustment tho. This is one issue that most people don't even have checked during routine service.
    With my years as an ASE certified mechanic, I have discovered many faulty composite headlight assemblies that simply need replaced, but that can range in price from 200 to over 1000 smackers. My van has composite headlights and I have replaced them once. Cost for a genuine GM part was 190 bucks each. I think a set of H6054's woulda saved 165 bucks. 6054 lamps were introduced in the mid 70's and phased out in the 90's.

So as for the new era composite headlights, hope none of us hafta replace one any time soon!

But, but occifer!!! Glad you got off the hook! Speeding tickets can be awfully expensive and the insurance company loves to use em for an excuse to perform a wallet extraction.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    G, some of the composite headlight systems out there also succumb to heat damage over time that distorts the reflector in the assembly. This is a problem with plastic being used instead of glass which at the temperature a car is exposed to is highly stable. You are absolutely right about the adjustment tho. This is one issue that most people don't even have checked during routine service.
    With my years as an ASE certified mechanic, I have discovered many faulty composite headlight assemblies that simply need replaced, but that can range in price from 200 to over 1000 smackers. My van has composite headlights and I have replaced them once. Cost for a genuine GM part was 190 bucks each. I think a set of H6054's woulda saved 165 bucks. 6054 lamps were introduced in the mid 70's and phased out in the 90's.

So as for the new era composite headlights, hope none of us hafta replace one any time soon!

But, but occifer!!! Glad you got off the hook! Speeding tickets can be awfully expensive and the insurance company loves to use em for an excuse to perform a wallet extraction.
    I don't have much experience with other than my Mere SLK's composite headlight system so I can't say much one way or another. I did dismantle the headlamp units and clean the lenses on the low beam projector ... they were cloudy ... but otherwise they seem just fine at 100,000+ miles, even with the high-output (but standard wattage) H7s installed.

The biggest problem with the headlight units I see of late is that the clear coating on the acrylic covers get yellowed and dull after a few years. I had mine refinished and recoated with a new aircraft-grade coating for acrylics, then polished—they're like new now (although the sand storm I went through did degrade the surface a little bit, they'll be re-polished again on my next service).

I'm a little surprised not to see more new cars with LED head lamps ... they are much more power efficient and run much, much cooler. There's an LED head lamp unit that I may have installed in my motorcycle: it's brighter than stock by 4x, has a cleaner pattern cutoff, and is adaptive (it senses the angle of the bike in a corner and changes which panel is lit to fill in the dark spot that appears due to the lean...!). A bit pricey too, but I'm willing to spend money for good lighting.

Yeah, I was pleased that he saw his way to giving me just a warning. I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in years...

G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    The funny thing is the price of LED will start out very high and work its way down as implementation increases. Currently a 6054LED from Wagner is 350 bucks compared to 15 bucks for the H6054. Now, enter the 800 composite fixture along with a 350 led conversion.
    The polycarbonate lenses on most composite lights will oxidize with time in the weather. I use 1000 grit sand paper to deal with it along with a polish with Mothers aluminum polish and make em look like new with 10 minutes of effort.

Thank you, occifer!!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Okay, back to bikes and rides!

Finally got out today for TWO rides, totalling 13 miles. Felt so so good.
    Nothing particularly special to report. Sumo working perfectly, my legs working very well too. The second ride ended in cold and dark so i'm a little tired now.

I did about half the rides with power off. It's amazing how I can do that and barely slow down now. Things are a LOT different from what they were a scant year ago!

Onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    The funny thing is the price of LED will start out very high and work its way down as implementation increases. Currently a 6054LED from Wagner is 350 bucks compared to 15 bucks for the H6054. Now, enter the 800 composite fixture along with a 350 led conversion.
    The polycarbonate lenses on most composite lights will oxidize with time in the weather. I use 1000 grit sand paper to deal with it along with a polish with Mothers aluminum polish and make em look like new with 10 minutes of effort.

Thank you, occifer!!!
    I'll pass on new tech most every time. When I had a BMW 325 and had to replace one of the ellipsoid lamps, even at my father's cost (he ran a shop), it was $130. Fvck that noise. Neither do I want ten computers which I can't service deciding to have a war between air and fuel or spark, and don't get me started on tire pressure monitors. I do my own work, and the motors I have to deal with (Chevy 350 and GM 3800) are great engines with cheap parts that are easy to work on. Not only are the factory headlamps great, but with an extra two Cibie 82440s out front, there's not much I can't see at night.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    LOL!

I always buy relatively high-end cars that are about ten years old, in good shape, make them perfect, and drive them until I wear them out completely. So "new tech" in my automotive world is actually "old new-tech" and well proven.

My last two cars have been Mercedes SLKs, first a 2000 and (when that was wrecked by another driver) a 2006. They're completely serviceable little beasts but yes, they have computers for engine management and system operations. Doesn't matter: you just have to have the right tools and the knowledge to use them, which my mechanic does. I don't work on cars myself any more. He does a great job of keeping them going to my satisfaction at a reasonable price.

I work on my motorcycles, new or old. My brand new 2017 Moto Guzzi V7III Racer is a thoroughly modern machine with full engine management, etc. Again, working on it is just a matter of acquiring the right tools and learning how to use them ... most of the mechanicals are identical to all the other bikes I've owned over the years, it's just the ABS, TC, and engine management with EFI that sets it apart. It works better, and I've been able to tweak anything I needed to go get it running the way I wanted.

I have to say: The Guzzi significantly easier to work on than the Ducati Scrambler I bought at first. This is not because it's any less complex a machine, it's because Moto Guzzi designs for serviceability and Ducati goes out of their way to keep users in the dark about anything mechanical.

But enough of cars and motorcycles for now. Back to bicycles ...

G

FB&H rider
    Today's commute to work:
    Departure: 0545 Arrival 0755 (less detour!)
    Distance: 29.12km (less detour!)
    Time: 1:55
    Descent: 1700ft
    Ascent: 750ft
    Conditions: Dark for the duration. About -1C/30F temp. Thankfully visibility was much better with little fog; I still am realizing I need to add some $ to the budget (read: convince the boss) for another/better light.
    It's been snowing off and on for the past week, so from about 1300-1800 feet in elevation everything was frozen and there was snow covering the roads. Where cars had driven the ice sounded like handfuls of popits being thrown on the ground. At lower elevations the snow was melting and/or turned to mud which made for quite the slippery ride! No falls, but I arrived covered in mud.
    Still, I have my route figured out and it seems to be going well.

As G said a couple posts up, when I look at the data from my ride, I can see my climbs are getting much stronger! My speed is staying noticeably higher - I have been able to do quite a bit of the climbing I previously did in granny gear two-three gears higher now... feels good.

When I arrived at work two things: I realized I'd forgotten my uniform at home and I had a patient at 0800 (I didn't think I had any patients this morning)... in 22+ years of practice... I've never had to see patients in my biking gear before!!! Thankfully they took it in stride. My wife had my uniform here by 0900 and all is well.

Here's a couple pics from last night but the view was similar as I pulled out of my driveway this morning.
    Fat Biking and health-01-dec-17-snow-fence.jpgFat Biking and health-01-dec-17-snow-road.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, my wife has car that we share, I have a Surly Troll its my everyday ride, that I can do the basic mechanical work on. Dear old Dad never was that way inclined, past that onto me. Although I have improved over the last few years

Don't forget its world fat bike day this Sunday hope you can all manage a ride. Some ride reports would be great. My Farley is in the shop as on the last ride I put a stick into the front derailleur and I could not get it working so its in my LBS getting converted to a 1x11 set up. So no world fat bike day ride for me.

Hope the weekend weather is kind to you.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Pepper that looks beautiful, said someone sitting in a house with all the windows open enjoying the cool evening Seabreeze. We have had fog the last few mornings, but it was a nice cool one that took the edge off the heat that was to come through the day.

As for leaving stuff at home I pack the bike the night before and lay out my work gear as well. If not I always manage to forget something.

Have a good weekend.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Pepper, you are a bad@ss! That's cool (and cold) work you did getting in this morning!
    2016 El Oso Grande