Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142 LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,100 of 4124
    mtbr member
    This is what I'm looking at. I don't want to carry an external battery pack.

https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Dash...G4B1P6W4CTKR0N

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    12 miles today, swapped pedals back to DB stocker flats. Really don't think I will ever go back to clipless. For the type of riding I am doing and will be doing, flats rock.Attachment 1157090
    Ha! I have no desire to use clipless... Where is the Pic from. I'm assuming Arizona.
    I'll be making a trip to Tucson in the dead of winter to escape the cold weather for a lil while and ride some dirt with the RSD collection.

Fat Biking and health-img_0737.jpg
    The Mayor campaigning

Fat Biking and health-img_0713.jpg
    Sarge hangin out before a trail ride

Click the pix for a larger view...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Yeah, just the Riparian Preserve in Gilbert. I am getting used to this behemoth-and loving it. Just putting in miles for a few weeks. No crazy terrain.

I have ridden Cat Mount at Usery a bunch of times. I hear it is paved now.

If you're going to Tucson, and if you haven't, ride Chiva Falls and Charoleau Gap. Both are stellar rides.

mtbr member
    This is what I'm looking at. I don't want to carry an external battery pack.

https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Dash...G4B1P6W4CTKR0N
    I've read you should have 900 lumens for wooded singletracks, which is the majority of what I ride. I don't know if that is true or not. I am leaning towards even brighter to be sure.

mtbr member
    For night rides, I won't be on anything more than gravel roads. Too many critters to contend with here if you are really off road.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Yeah, just the Riparian Preserve in Gilbert. I am getting used to this behemoth-and loving it. Just putting in miles for a few weeks. No crazy terrain.

I have ridden Cat Mount at Usery a bunch of times. I hear it is paved now.

If you're going to Tucson, and if you haven't, ride Chiva Falls and Charoleau Gap. Both are stellar rides.
    Cat Mountain is a trail system maintained by the city of Tucson and Pima county. No pavement!! One of the many trailheads is right out my parents front door. Doesn't get better than that! Really had a great time last January while i was there. The Mayor and Sarge were in 7th heaven with the daily rides. Cat Mountain is awesome due to the trails being like cross streets. Take a turn and it's like a whole new ride. Makes for an easy changeup. The arroyos are awesome for the Mayor to ride his immense 4.8's in the sand and just go. Fat and +, perfect for that kind of riding! Sarge gets kinda irritated by skinny tire bikes being in his way.

I'll have to look into the trails that you mentioned for more exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    I've read you should have 900 lumens for wooded singletracks, which is the majority of what I ride. I don't know if that is true or not. I am leaning towards even brighter to be sure.
    I still have an old Turbocat that's amazing. The S47 system with a 20 watt MR11 low and 35 watt MR11 high beam. I benchmark light systems with them having to meet or exceed the light output of the Turbocat. Kinda like having a set of KC Daylighters on my bike!

An inexpensive light system is available through Amazon by a chinese company called Securitying. Very nice for the coin and batteries are inexpensive as well.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I should have looked closer at the map in the pic. Cat Mountain up here in Mesa is effectively neutered.

You would love the two trails I mentioned.

FB&H rider
    OldBear thanks for checking in! Glad you're in a much better place regardless of how it happened.

DirtyHun, glad you're loving the fat!

On the light discussion, I'm trying to prepare myself to do the 2-hour ride from my house to work 1-2 times per week (and leave a vehicle down the hill so I don't have to climb back up - not ready for that yet). All of it will be in the dark so I got a helmet and a crossbar/taillight that will hopefully do the trick. They aren't fancy, and I may end up with one of the ones from the many light threads in these forums, but we'll see.

I rode my first 'real' downhill park this weekend having received the full face helmet and purchased knee/shin guards. It looked a lot like some of the pics Tex has had up, ranging from flowing burms to crazy wooden contraptions. I avoided most of the big jumps and had a blast. I did have one pretty big spill in which I ended up bouncing head first off a tree, but the full face protected me perfectly! Sprained the ankle and split the elbow, but nothing to keep me from finishing the ride

Not sure I want my ol bones to try that every weekend, and I don't have aspirations of doing what some of these young guys out there can, but is fun for once in a while!
    Fat Biking and health-10-sep-17-fattie-front.jpgFat Biking and health-10-sep-17-flowtrail.jpgFat Biking and health-10-sep-17-ouchie.jpg
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Dammit, Pepper! Ya tryin to break your neck or what?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I remember the days when I rode wilder trails like that.

Sometimes I am amazed I lived to be this old.

Looks like you had a great time!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I use the "Bontrager Ion 100 R/Flare R City Light Set" on Sumo. I've only ridden in the dark (on city streets) a couple of times: the 100R clicked into full continuous output does passably as a headlight for a short period. For longer rides and particularly off-road, I'd want more light and much more battery reserve. I'm just not that likely to do much of that kind of riding, however. The taillight is fine regardless.

---
    It was very warm (91-95°) but I felt antsy and needed some motion yesterday afternoon. So I took Sumo out for a short ride to the cafe at the edge of downtown San Jose and back. Funny thing how what was once my "long ride" is now a short ride. It's an 8 mile round trip, getting there and then getting back takes me all of eleven minutes each way now.

I have some work to do on the motorcycle today. When I'm done with that I'm going to run the San Tomas to Guadalupe River Trail loop in the reverse direction from my usual. I need a longer ride.

The higher seat height is definitely helping my right leg and upper thigh muscles. Less pain, more mobility, more strength. There's one complex of motions which remains a challenge, need to work on it more. I'll see the physical therapist again next week and get some more instruction for that particular motion.

Pedal on!

G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    G, glad the seat adjustment took care of the muscle aches and pains. The improvement in pedaling efficiency will make the rides feel shorter, indeed.
    Fatness is ever so good!
    Doctor recommended...

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    "....I did have one pretty big spill in which I ended up bouncing head first off a tree, but the full face protected me perfectly! Sprained the ankle and split the elbow....."

Dr Pep...holy cow! By the looks of the picture and all, it looks like you had a great time. The full face helmet appears to be a very wise investment.

DirtyHun: A belated welcome aboard from me and look forward to reading of your ride reports with her. Great looking bike you have there. There is simply nothing like that feeling of stability you get each and everytime you climb onboard your fatbike. Each and every ride I go on, those first few feet getting started and rolling brings it all back to that first time on the Fatboy. And yes, this is the most welcoming thread out there; just a fine bunch of folks here; all thanks to OldBear and his original idea of reporting his health progress to whatever audience he thought was out there.

Lights: I outfitted my Fatboy last fall with a dyno lighting system using premium German componets, a 100 Lux Busch & Muller IQ-X headlight Link: Busch & Muller dynamo bicycle lights ...... a Schmidt tail light Link:http: //www.peterwhitecycles.com/schmidt-tl.php ..... both powered by a 135mm wide Schmidt Son 28 dyno hub ...... Link: Bicycle Lights and Generators

100 Lux does not seem much and there are formulas out there to convert it to Lumens; but it seems you have to be a brain surgeon to figure it out. Photos as supplied on the Peter White site better describes what these lights look like at night. The German companies like B&M, Schmidt and Supernova are on the cutting edge of light reflector technology, extracting the most amount of light delivered in the least amount of wattage possible. Only thing is, don't plan on fording rivers with your expensive dyno hub. And the small wire connectors are a pain to deal with when initially setting up your wire harness from hub to lights. I understand there are now quick disconnect plugs out there specifically for these types of coaxial power wire, so I will look into retrofitting the Fatboy later on, as I need to remove the front wheel when transporting the bike in my short bed Colorado pickup.

Fun factoid: Dyno hubs are basically with you forever. They are environmentally friendly; no potential of burning the house down when recharging those iffy Chinese batterys. No worries about how long you can run that light on hi-power. During the day, a light sensor inside the headlight runs the LED's on low power, while the rear tail lamp runs on full power, a neat Daytime Running Light that other folks will see.

The drawback? Expensive. I figure it would take me 247 years and twenty days of running nightly on battery powered lights to pay off this dyno lighting system had I went the battery route

Other than the initial expense; it really is, like Mr Popeil said, a "Set It And Forget It" system.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLq27iOW0R0

Some pics of the dyno hub lighting set up, including the parts amassed along with the fork prior to it's repaint and installation (had to use an aluminum fork in order to riv-nut a Surly Nice rack onto it, my original factory carbon had no threaded inserts installed on it); along with a daytime run last fall and a front and rear shot. At night, that tail lamp is really bright! Okay, I admit it....I just like posting photos of this fatty!
    Fat Biking and health-100_1858.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_1911.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_1909.jpgFat Biking and health-100_1997.jpg

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Dammit, Pepper! Ya tryin to break your neck or what?
    Nope, but it's hard for this ole adrenaline junkie to figure out what I can and can't do anymore!

I remember the days when I rode wilder trails like that.

Sometimes I am amazed I lived to be this old.

Looks like you had a great time!
    I'd never done a downhill trail until two weeks ago, but it was fun indeed!!
    Will be out of town for a week or so, see ya'll then!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PhdPepper View Post
    Nope, but it's hard for this ole adrenaline junkie to figure out what I can and can't do anymore!

I'd never done a downhill trail until two weeks ago, but it was fun indeed!!
    Will be out of town for a week or so, see ya'll then!
    Can't stop laughing... Although it's easier to break your neck than you realize.. Be careful, my friend!

I should have looked closer at the map in the pic. Cat Mountain up here in Mesa is effectively neutered.

You would love the two trails I mentioned.
    Yay! Nerfed trails :/ Look forward to checking those areas out on the next trip. This time I'll hafta sort out space in the Jeep for three Jeeps to come along!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Two of those would be half-Jeeps?

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Two of those would be half-Jeeps?
    The extra two wheels are a $45,000 option!

The fatty is a Jeep in and of itself since you just point it and start pedaling and it simply goes! I cannot get enough of the silly fat 4.8" tires and how well they ride. And the ability to let some air out for the sand... What a difference it makes.

Fat Biking and health-img_0743.jpg
    The fatty pump makes it so easy to air up after riding in the sand and loose stuff.
    10-12 strokes and ready to ride!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Your bike is gorgeous, and I'm with you on tire size. What got me interested in fat bikes was seeing a 27.5 mid-fat with 3" tires at a bike shop and striking up a convo with the shop owner, who explained to me that, although they didn't carry them at that shop, true monster fat bikes existed. Now, I'd never ride anything less than a 4.8. I rode 12 miles yesterday and didn't miss skinnier tires one bit. No way. I'm sold.

mtbr member

Another new (to me) trail

Hardin park near Cincinnati, Ohio. I was lulled into a false sense of relaxation as the first half mile was just a smooth grassy path. Then it turned into the woods... It was rooty, off camber and tough with lots of steep switchbacks and trailside handlebar bashers.
    Fat Biking and health-image.jpg

Then there was the hill that the trail head map called Mount Mother...
    Fat Biking and health-image.jpg Soul. Crushing. Climb... Even the fat tire slipped in spots. I had to walk a portion. A little humility never hurt anyone, I definitely got my dose today.

mtbr member
    And that is pure fun!

I took the beast out on some thick, loose dirt on a construction site today, just to see what it would be like.

I understand flotation so much better now.

Big grin

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Your bike is gorgeous, and I'm with you on tire size. What got me interested in fat bikes was seeing a 27.5 mid-fat with 3" tires at a bike shop and striking up a convo with the shop owner, who explained to me that, although they didn't carry them at that shop, true monster fat bikes existed. Now, I'd never ride anything less than a 4.8. I rode 12 miles yesterday and didn't miss skinnier tires one bit. No way. I'm sold.
    Thankya...
    With the two +bikes and a fat, it's a challenge to choose which to ride. The Wildcat with the silky smooth suspension and sweet 27.5x 3.0's, Sarge with the amazing geometry and light as a feather feel, again wearing 27.5x 3.0's or the Mayor with those super sweet 4.8's.
    What is truly amazing is when I lower the pressure in the 4.8's so they squish some and ride the very loose dirt or sand. They ride like a regular bike does on tarmac. I tend to forget that they are really soft and they look a lil flat when I hit the hard trail again. That's when the fat pump gets involved. Air up is very quick and easy. I cannot imagine being without the fat pump after many rides that really do improve by letting air out. No more compromise when it comes to air down/up on the ride.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I'm a one trick pony. The fat bike is my do-everything bike, and since putting it together, I do want to do everything on it. Even just scooting out tonight-probably only did a mile-left me grinning ear to ear.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I'm a one trick pony. The fat bike is my do-everything bike, and since putting it together, I do want to do everything on it. Even just scooting out tonight-probably only did a mile-left me grinning ear to ear.
    Only have one question for ya... Have you hugged your fatbike today? XD
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Shhhhh ... I did pat its saddle.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Shhhhh ... I did pat its saddle.
    rofl

Now that it's too late, a public service announcement...

First hit's free!! Ya wanna fly, kid, ya gotta buy, kid!!

Fatbike disease is a progressive disease! Highly contagious, indeed!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Old Bear glad your now in a healthier place, that should help.

Dr. Pep
    "....I did have one pretty big spill in which I ended up bouncing head first off a tree, but the full face protected me perfectly! Sprained the ankle and split the elbow....."

LOL stop bouncing off shit, it ain't healthy at all. Nothing hard for a long while for me I don't wanna be F'en this knee up now. It's just getting easier.

On vacation I watched a kid across the street slide on some sand in his driveway. He went down and fell slamming his head into the stone build up in the driveway for flowers. He was SO lucky to have a helmet on. I hurried over to make sure he was OK, I checked the helmet to make sure it wasn't damaged. None, not even a scratch and I was surprised. Glad he was OK. His Mom came out and thanked me for stopping and checking on him.

mtbr member
    Spent 45 minutes out hopping curbs, riding down and up berms, and running across sand volleyball courts this evening.

I want to ride this bike every day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tex it's not a true fat bike ride unless a little walking/pushing is involved

Hopefully the hill on the other side was fun downhill run.

As for lights I have the same dyno light as Mike on my commuting bike and it's the gun setup, as good a car light. Not the best for full trail riding, due to the beam throw it does not spread light everywhere just down the road. I believe that 100 lux equals about 1200 lumens. On a good trail light that should be enough, plenty of good choices out there.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Longest ride since my surgery, 7.7 miles. Getting there, it's coming along slowly. Looking forward to some cooler weather to get rid of these bugs. Jesus it's been bad the last two evenings. Flying ants all over the place, nearly swallowed one 2 nights ago. Damn thing was bitter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Chief thats good progress on the riding front, as for the bug think of it as extra protein

Good on you for helping the kid the other day, helmets are worth every cent you spend on them. Glad he was ok.

I would not ride without one, down here in OZ I do not have a choice as wearing a helmet is compulsory for all riders. In my state of N.S.W its a $320 fine if you are caught riding without one. Plenty of debate about that rule and the choice not to wear a helmet would nice, but I would still ride with one if I had the choice not to.

Indeed the other day it saved me when one of the local Magpies dive bombed the back of my head as I rode along. The birds get very aggressive during the breading season, and for some reason really don't like cyclist. One of my old helmets had a two inch scar just above the ear from a Magpies beak or claws. People loose the sight in their eyes as these bird sometimes don't muck around.

Does anyone else run into trouble with your local birds?

Plenty of videos on youtube to see how aggressive these birds can be.

OZ.

mtbr member
    No majorly aggressive birds here, at least toward humans, but watching the red tailed hawks and vultures interact can be fun, and few birds make me think "velociraptor" like the Roadrunner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post

Dr Pep...holy cow! By the looks of the picture and all, it looks like you had a great time. The full face helmet appears to be a very wise investment.

DirtyHun: A belated welcome aboard from me and look forward to reading of your ride reports with her. Great looking bike you have there. There is simply nothing like that feeling of stability you get each and everytime you climb onboard your fatbike. Each and every ride I go on, those first few feet getting started and rolling brings it all back to that first time on the Fatboy. And yes, this is the most welcoming thread out there; just a fine bunch of folks here; all thanks to OldBear and his original idea of reporting his health progress to whatever audience he thought was out there.

Lights: I outfitted my Fatboy last fall with a dyno lighting system using premium German componets, a 100 Lux Busch & Muller IQ-X headlight Link: Busch & Muller dynamo bicycle lights ...... a Schmidt tail light Link:http: //www.peterwhitecycles.com/schmidt-tl.php ..... both powered by a 135mm wide Schmidt Son 28 dyno hub ...... Link: Bicycle Lights and Generators

100 Lux does not seem much and there are formulas out there to convert it to Lumens; but it seems you have to be a brain surgeon to figure it out. Photos as supplied on the Peter White site better describes what these lights look like at night. The German companies like B&M, Schmidt and Supernova are on the cutting edge of light reflector technology, extracting the most amount of light delivered in the least amount of wattage possible. Only thing is, don't plan on fording rivers with your expensive dyno hub. And the small wire connectors are a pain to deal with when initially setting up your wire harness from hub to lights. I understand there are now quick disconnect plugs out there specifically for these types of coaxial power wire, so I will look into retrofitting the Fatboy later on, as I need to remove the front wheel when transporting the bike in my short bed Colorado pickup.

Fun factoid: Dyno hubs are basically with you forever. They are environmentally friendly; no potential of burning the house down when recharging those iffy Chinese batterys. No worries about how long you can run that light on hi-power. During the day, a light sensor inside the headlight runs the LED's on low power, while the rear tail lamp runs on full power, a neat Daytime Running Light that other folks will see.

The drawback? Expensive. I figure it would take me 247 years and twenty days of running nightly on battery powered lights to pay off this dyno lighting system had I went the battery route

Other than the initial expense; it really is, like Mr Popeil said, a "Set It And Forget It" system.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLq27iOW0R0

Some pics of the dyno hub lighting set up, including the parts amassed along with the fork prior to it's repaint and installation (had to use an aluminum fork in order to riv-nut a Surly Nice rack onto it, my original factory carbon had no threaded inserts installed on it); along with a daytime run last fall and a front and rear shot. At night, that tail lamp is really bright! Okay, I admit it....I just like posting photos of this fatty!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1858.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	1157201

Name:	100_1911.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	251.3 KB 
ID:	1157202

Name:	100_1909.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	1157203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1997.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	1157204
    That is a glorious bike you have set up, sir!

Dirty Hun: Many thanks! Since getting the Haibike Full FatSix at the tail end of winter, the Fatboy has done more sitting than Towpath Traveling. I had outfitted the bike with just about every Ortlieb back in that color combo they made; for the purpose of taking the bike on a tour. I employed the Fatboy in the same manner as the Haibike in that I took it anywhere, with no questions or issues....asphalt, off road including towpath trails or NJ sugar sand in the Pine Barrens. The bike has never let me down and to be honest, after riding it the first time, I kinda thought there is no going away from the fat tired bikes from that point on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    Dirty Hun: Many thanks! Since getting the Haibike Full FatSix at the tail end of winter, the Fatboy has done more sitting than Towpath Traveling. I had outfitted the bike with just about every Ortlieb back in that color combo they made; for the purpose of taking the bike on a tour. I employed the Fatboy in the same manner as the Haibike in that I took it anywhere, with no questions or issues....asphalt, off road including towpath trails or NJ sugar sand in the Pine Barrens. The bike has never let me down and to be honest, after riding it the first time, I kinda thought there is no going away from the fat tired bikes from that point on.
    I've ridden everything from 20" to 29", and nothing has made an impact on me like these massive tires. I will eventually get a second set of fat wheels with pure street tires on em, but that's it. Just the one bike.

PS, if anyone needs a new handlebar, seatpost or saddle, the items I took off my bike are available free other than postage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Indeed the other day it saved me when one of the local Magpies dive bombed the back of my head as I rode along. The birds get very aggressive during the breading season, and for some reason really don't like cyclist. One of my old helmets had a two inch scar just above the ear from a Magpies beak or claws. People loose the sight in their eyes as these bird sometimes don't muck around.

Does anyone else run into trouble with your local birds?

Plenty of videos on youtube to see how aggressive these birds can be.

OZ.
    Oz, what the heck kind of horror movie place are you living in?!? I had a wildlife incident today, sort of. I am in Cookeville Tennessee and decided to ride a short Singletrack loop at the local city park. I was the only one who'd ridden it in a while and ran into many spiderwebs... After one particularly large web, I saw out of the corner of my eye a huge spider crawling on my shoulder towards my neck. I swiped my hand across my shoulder to knock it off, failed to pay attention to where I was going and hit a tree with my handlebars and was summarily ejected from the bike.Fat Biking and health-image.jpeg

I survived the harrowing event unscathed and finished my ride. 8 miles and 500 feet of climb. They train pilots to not allow issues like mechanical problems distract them from flying the plane, apparently I need similar training for riding my bike. Good thing I wasn't chewing gum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I'm a one-bike rider too. Just the iZip Sumo, fat street tires, etc.

Out for a visit to my podiatrist this morning, I took the bike and decided it was too nice out not to keep on going. I visited my favorite indie motorcycle mechanic, setting up a couple of things for a service on the Ducati in a week or two, and then said, "wot the heck?" And headed off up into territory I didn't know well, eventually linking up with the Guadalupe River Trail and back down the San Tomas Trail again.

The last six miles of the 21 mile run I was getting a steady 'tick tick tick' as I pedaled. Fearing the worst ... broken roller, broken cluster tooth ... I went straight into the local bicycle shop who've done well for me in the past. The took the bike right in, checked the cluster, and determined the sound was coming from the bottom bracket/power unit area. Lubed the pedals, the inner and outer splines of the crank and front sprocket. 'Tick!' still there. So they unmounted the Bosch motor and lubed all its motor mounts. That did the trick.

My chain was at 50 percent wear 200 miles ago, and they noted it was near done now. Expected ... wear goes faster after you're already worn ... so they fitted a new top of the line chain (as opposed to the OEM "so so" one) after giving it a wax teflon lube treatment. Fettled and adjusted everything, rode home 2 hours later on what feels like a brand new bike! Two mechanics did an awesome job with no notice and charged me only $175 total ... lube, all parts, two hours labor included ... for it all. What a great shop! (The labor rate alone hereabout is around $70/hr.)

Rolling in the door, I have 805 miles on the bike now since April. Could not be more pleased with it.

G

mtbr member
    Did a 6 mile round trip down the bike path to a nearby park. Rode up the hills and then down 'em, hopped curbs, found a mound of gravel in an old patch of citrus and rode over it, tried riding along a curb for a while, then came home.Fat Biking and health-img_20170913_172926828.jpg

mtbr member
    On the way home, saw this parked in a school lot.Fat Biking and health-img_20170913_174512011_hdr.jpg
    Two industrial strength vehicles, living in harmony ...

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    The Fat Patrol on duty!

Fat Biking and health-img_1013a.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_1009.jpg

Nothing like rippin an E-Fatty on the clock.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Tyre vs stick. I'll leave it to you to guess which won, although it was a close race and the sealant nearly did its job.

I helped it with 2 tubeless repair "pipe cleaners". And I even got to use the Leatherman tool that I carry to trim them afterwards. That makes about 3 uses in 10 years for the Leatherman; the other 2 were to free kangaroos trapped in wire fences.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-tubeless-repair.jpg  

Fat Biking and health-stick-tyre.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tex, yes there is a fair bit of wildlife down here that can take you out. My biggest worry around my part of OZ are Eastern Brown Snakes the worlds second deadliest land snake. The Fat bike has taken me to some remote and snakey looking areas. I am putting together a better first aid kit for the bikes and a long elastic bandage is a must in the event of a bite.

Still they do not bother everyone down here, goggle up

"old man kicks brown snake in the head" and see how old-timers deal with bitey things

That was filmed on one of the main beaches here in Newcastle.

Love the spider story and cartoon, my local trails are covered in webs if I am first out in the mornings. So far I have not had any spiders joining me on the ride, I would crash and run screaming into the bush then a brown snake would finish me

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi DirtyHun bikes looking good out and about.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Banshee, thats cool if I was that policeman those hills in the background would need patrolling everyday

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Wombat in the best traditions of Crocodile Dundee "That a not a stick... Thats a stick"

Thats good milage with the Leatherman I have used mine once in eight years, and that was on some random roadies bike. Tools must have been too heavy for him to carry.

Same with my chain tool, got that out a few months ago to help an old fellow and just before I got covered in the glag on his chain a bike mechanic out on a ride stopped and did the deed for me. Nice to use the stuff I cart around on every ride.

Be careful with those Roo's a rider down your way was knocked out cold by a big one on Mt Ainslie a while back.

Another thing here in OZ that wants to kill you

OZ.

mtbr member
    I envy you guys down under for that great biodiversity, though we certainly get our fair share of bitey things here in AZ. Years ago, while riding offroad near Saguaro National Monument, I crashed and had an Indiana Jones moment: I looked up to find myself face to face with a Mohave rattlesnake, which was none too pleased with my sudden faceplant in front of it.

I see rattlesnakes every month, and the occasional gila monster. We get the scorpions, too, but for the most part, as Surly mentioned, these critters mean us no harm and just want to be left alone.

mtbr member
    Warm & humid ride today. Out of the house, up along the river towards the TP bridge. Then down the canal path (I need a pic here it was pretty). Out to Silver Lake (no deer), around the lake and then on to the macadam. Around the local squad / rehab facility / hospital. Past the FH, stopped to talk with my car mechanic and then on to home.

Felt good, 9.13 miles, 55:14 min, 9.8 avg.
    Getting there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-img_3019.jpg  

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Sounds like you're doing good, Chief! Awesome pic cause blue bikes are kewl...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nice to read that you are doing well, getting out for longer rides, Chief!

mtbr member
    Quick question: What frame pumps are you all using? I haven't gone tubeless, and don't know when or whether I will, just as a side note.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quick question: What frame pumps are you all using? I haven't gone tubeless, and don't know when or whether I will, just as a side note.
    Fat Biking and health-img_0575.jpg
    Lezyne Micro Floordrive XL

Makes airup following a sand ride quick and easy.

Prior to attempting tubeless, completely deflate a tire and if it falls away from the edges of the rim don't do tubeless.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Have I told you guys how much I appreciate you?

mtbr member
    WOW, the knee was cranky last night after the ride. Still sore today. Gotta back off a little I think. Jumped the total miles to much it seems. A slight set back, but at least I'm riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Good ride, Chief, but yeah: take it a little easier. According to my PT, being sore for a few hours after a good session is fine, but more than overnight means you're pushing a little too hard.

I managed to wake up with a head cold yesterday morning so stayed quiet and warm all day yesterday, slept a lot. I think I've shaken the worst of it, but I'm going to take it easy today too. No reason to help the bugs attack...

G

mtbr member
    one more week....then the bear gets loose in the woods. This darn pluersy is stubborn. But it's mostly gone. I have physical therapy twice a week and we're working on my balance. Seems it's a bit off on the left side. But, I'm doing exercises and walking 4x a day. I told my PT, that I really need to get back on my fatty. There's a big network back through the woods that is mainly double track on sand and clay. The area we are in was a clay pit and it produced bricks and pottery for years. - i am goingbto attempt putting up pics so hear with me....Fat Biking and health-20170910_115821.jpgFat Biking and health-20170910_160945.jpg[ATTACK =CONFIG]1157922[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170910_160945.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	1157923 there ya go.
    Until later
    Oldbear

The two pictures of fish were a mistake.
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Bear good to see your on the mend, those trails look great hopefully you will be rolling around on them soon.

Chief don't worry about the set back, so and steady will win this race. Rides don't have to be long to bring a smile to the old face.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

The Great North walk... make that ride...

Hi everyone, well today all the variables added up and I could do the ride that I have had planned for the last few weeks.

There is a walking trail that runs from Sydney along a mountain route to Newcastle called the Great North Walk. It runs some 250 kms and is quite a challenge, apparently most of it is not ridable on a bike but the last 20 odd kms near my place is if you have a Fat Bike.

So after a nice sleep in waiting for the tide to go low on the beach section, I started out to knock off the 10 kms to the trail head.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09186.jpg

The road ends, and the trail starts.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09188.jpg

It starts with a nice granny gear climb on some nice trail. Its well posted to start with but thats soon ends.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09190.jpg

After taking a few wrong turns in a maze of single track I had to use the Trailforks app on my phone to set me straight.

I was riding a nice section of trail when another rider approached from the other direction so I pulled of to the side of the trail. We said our hellos and then I took a look down to my right...

Fat Biking and health-dsc09193.jpg

To see this Red Belly Black Snake waiting for me to get out of his way. Seeing as he was only a few feet from my leg I did that quick smart

Back on the trail I came across these.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09195.jpg

Well it is the Great North Walk after all

The next section had some nice boardwalk sections and a few creek crossing that where running clear.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09199.jpg

I stopped to take a photo of this great Gum Tree,

Fat Biking and health-dsc09200.jpg

And a group of mountain bikers came flying past, this first two not even a nod, the next two a bit of a hello and it was not until the last rider did I get an "are you ok" which use to be par for the course if you see a rider stopped by the trail side. I hope mountain biking is not going the way of road cycling around here, no one waves to anyone and strava is king.

Anyway enough of that I had now crossed into Glenrock State Park on the way to the beach and a nice waterfall will cure most blues.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09202.jpg

Next up the beach, I don't know why you get the bonus pic at the end of this

OZ.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-dsc09186.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

The Great North Walk...the Beach.

Part two, I soon dropped down to the Glenrock lagoon and was not the only one enjoying a beautiful day.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09206.jpg

Time to air the tyres down and hit the sand. A few of the local surfers where out making the most of the small waves.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09208.jpg

The conditions are perfect for the ride small swell and low tide allowed me to stay on the sand the whole way. In the middle below the cliffs you can see why Newcastle became important to the early development of the colony of N.S.W.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09213.jpg

Coal and lots of it, there are old mines in the bush here and now the Upper Hunter Valley is one of the worlds largest producers of coal. The ships that dot the ocean are waiting to enter the port of Newcastle and take a load of black gold around the world.

For me they are leaving the best bits behind, the beautiful landscapes.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09217.jpg

Thats the end of Burwood Beach some rock hopping brought me around another headland to the world Famous surfing beach of Merewether. A surfing reserve and home to the largest Ocean baths in the southern hemisphere. With the wind in my back and the sand firm I soon arrived at the northern end of the beach Dixon Park and the view back down the beach is a Newcastle icon.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09221.jpg

So good one photo is not enough, lots out enjoying a perfect day.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09222.jpg

I headed for home from here into a building westerly wind that made me earn the last few kms of the day.

That still could not wipe the smile from my face after riding some great trails and beaches a stones throw from the hustle and bustle of the world.

Good riding.

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Thankya OZ. Great series of pix.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Bear, looking forward to the mileage reports.

Oz, those are some great looking beaches, but you can have the poisonous snakes to yourself.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to Bear getting out and getting some wind into his lungs from the bike. I'm sure he is too.
    I got out for a nice country ride within 2 miles of the house.

Fat Biking and health-img_3153.jpg

Needed to loosen the knee up for a long day today. Going to Historic Fallsington Day, Yardley Harvest Day. Then dinner with the wife and maybe a walk to the Doo Wop concert in Bristol PA with The Delfonics.
    I got in 6+, nice and easy lots of stops for pic's that I can't get to load here.
    Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_a26.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_a27.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_a28.jpg
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 4 Days Ago at 02:04 PM.

mtbr member
    You guys have been out in some beautiful scenery!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Went out for a night ride on some local singltrack. Running an older Light in Motion Urban 500 on the handlebar pointing to the trail about 10' out. Nightrider 750 boost on my helmet and a flashing red on the back. It was an awesome ride.

Sunday's Ride Report in Pixtures

Fat Biking and health-100_2567.jpg
    ATT has throttled my wireless hotspot back for the next few days; so this is gonna be very sloooow and interesting to see if these photos translate to something worth viewing. Anyways, here we are in the town of Roebling, NJ at the town park overlooking the Delaware River.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2568.jpg
    Looking downstream, Delaware River towards Tullytown, PA on the right side. All that greenery at one time was a slag fill area for the steel mill operations as this was John A Roebling & Son's Steel Mill property. Later it was a town dump. After that it became one of the USA's first EPA Superfund cleanup sites. The Mills went silent in 1974 and only in recent years have the wheels of government progress returned this land for the townspeople to enjoy.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2569.jpg
    Same vantage point, looking upstream at tidal Delaware River and to the north. Across the river is Pennsylvania and tucked at about the 3/4's mark in PA is Pennsbury Manor, the summer time home of William Penn, the founder of Philadelphia and namesake for the state of PA. Note the lack of clear blue skies......Surly In Oz stole it for his wonderful pictures in paradise! This here is Paradise, New Soviet Socialist Republic of New Jermany-style....er, I mean, New Jersey!
    Fat Biking and health-100_2570.jpg
    Why the name calling of your homestate, you may ask? Here is an example; a dirt road that looked interesting outside Burlington, NJ, running parallel to the NJ Transit RiverLine light rail line. This pretty much sums up East Coast bicycle off-road riding in this, the most populated state in the Union. Every square inch seemingly accounted for and partitioned off with warning signs of Danger-No Trespassing like this set here.

Now, the reader may have a clue as to why the majority of my rides close to Homebase are all on asphalt....

Let's post this and see if it's worth going forward with my throttled-back hotspot wireless thingie....

Mike

Sunday's Ride Report-Reported Excrutiatingly Slow Due To My Wireless Throttled Back!

Fat Biking and health-100_2572.jpg
    Single track can be defined in many ways. Some may view it as riding carefully along some cliff face; one wrong move and it's a long way to the bottom. Others may say it's some root-fouled dirt trail in a forest preserve. And for my area of riding, this single track has it's own built-in dangers too.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2576.jpg
    We even have our own kind of downhill runs in this asphalt jungle run. Approaching southbound, River Road, coming upon Edgewater Park, NJ.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2579.jpg
    Delaware River waterfront at Delanco, New Jersey, looking northbound toards Pennsylvania. These little hideaways in our small NJ river front towns are truly gems featuring well kept, clean properties, reflecting the pride the homeowners have for their little spot of earth.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2581.jpg
    Along the Rancocas Creek, looking west towards the junction of the Rancocas and the Delaware and Pennsylvania. Rancocas Creek begins as a small stream in the NJ Pine Barrens and becomes tidal along the way. I'm not far from my turnaround point at the Riverside Marina and a little bit of boat watching, photo taking and daydreaming of boats....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2582.jpg
    Like this one, a brand spanking new Ranger Tugs 25. Fatbiking and Trawler Boating....

Sunday's Ride Report In Pictures...part 3

Fat Biking and health-100_2583.jpg
    Among these high dollar new trawlers, still my personal favorite, the Ranger Tugs 21EC. Smaller means cheaper, smaller means easier to handle, to maintain. Bigger means more complications relative to size. More complicated, more thirsty for fuel, more costly to moor. Even so, this little baby is about 65 grand, minus state taxes due....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2585.jpg
    The same parallel can be made in the Ebike versus Analog Bike argument. Instead of just riding for riding's sake, I'm paying mind to my battery state of charge, how much percentage is left; can I make it home if I set the motor output to High? A lot of distractions; should it break down, who is the closest dealer and repair shop? How soon will the battery start loosing it's efficiency with an eye towards a costly replacement? Sometimes I do wonder where all of this great technology is taking us.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2591.jpg
    Don't kid yourself. Look at the Tugnuts forum page for these boats and you'll find owners with their own set of distractions when some system within the tug/trawler fails them. Everything around us has it's own set of attributes and distractions. It's just a degree of cost.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2597.jpg
    To daydream of these possibilities and life's distractions....how cool would it be to be in some little secluded creek, looking out the windows into your own little world about you? This fatbike here opens up those possibilities too; to take us where others don't go. Reality check: this lovely Claret Red beauty is yours for a shade over 260k.....sigh
    Fat Biking and health-100_1878.jpg
    Caviar dreams brings me back into my Peanut Butter & Jelly reality; awaiting back home, my homebuilt project sits. Too much riding, pixture taking and ride reporting....not enough boat building!
    Fat Biking and health-100_2601.jpg
    22 miles in, boat watching/daydreaming done and it's time for a little bite to eat. I'll get a sandwich and come back to the Amico Island park, administered by the Burlington County NJ parks system. A nice little setting that runs along the Delaware River.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2602.jpg
    Milanese Pizza, Riverside, NJ Lunch Special: Steak sandwich, small fries and diet pepsi. $8.50. This area in the Philly metro area has hundreds of small shops like this that all do a decent job of making a cheese steak sandwich, which is truly a local delicacy, world renowned. Rib Eye steak, chopped on a hot plate, onions mixed in & fried with the meat, all on a nice steak roll, which is really key to a great Philly style cheese steak. Since this is Fatbiking and Health, I bypass the Cheese, just go with the plain steak and fried onions. The smell when cooking is heaven on earth! For the record, I may have had 20 french fries and tossed the rest in County supplied garbage cans at Amico Island park!
    Fat Biking and health-100_2603.jpg
    Sound & Vision.....a great landmark David Bowie Box Set and also a great title for this photo. You have the vision here, an almost Autumnal appearance in the falling leaves and the bare trees. I had that and I had the Sound.....a sound I've not heard since last October; a sound we don't hear in the height of a hot summer.......the sound of dry and brittle leaves singing in the tree branches before they fall to the ground. A sound opposite of what we are used to hearing in summer. A sound we all know. It's a sound that says the shortened days and the cold winds are just round the corner......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-100_2600.jpg  

Sunday Ride Report Stats sheet:

Destination: Homebase to southbound, Riverside Marina, Delran, New Jersey and back to Homebase

Bike: Haibike Full FatSix Yamaha mid drive Fat bike
    Average Speed: 12.3 mph
    Max Speed: 21.2 mph
    Road Surface: 99.99% asphalt
    Total Ride Mileage: 39.4
    Percentage of Battery Charge Remaining: 27%
    Total Odometer Mileage: 3285
    Weather: Cloudy to partly Sunny, Warm, Humid, Upper 70's, slight breeze

mtbr member
    Some great pics of night rides and high tides, guys! We have so much great riding here, and perfect weather 9 months a year, but oceans we lack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Chief good to see you back on the bike, pain free I hope. Speaking of the bike that blue is beautiful, how do you like the Plus tyres?

Thats some nice looking countryside to roll through.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Terry, never done proper trails at night, the local bike path on the way to work a few times was dark enough for me

OZ.

mtbr member
    Mike, as usual GREAT report which goes way beyond our normal here it is description. Funny reading how you are looking at objects for pics and thinking about your bike and battery life. Relax and enjoy.

I saw 2 really neat mushroom growths that I want to get pictures of this week.

Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mike, great report as always looks nice and green in your parts. I mowed the lawn for only the second time this winter yesterday and it was dry as, very little rain this winter warm too.

I understand your thoughts on the battery milage, my last demo run on a E-bike had me watching the battery level, too much. Might be the way I was riding it, I need another go on it to see if I can eek a little more out of it.

I often have boat envy, then I think of the cost of ownership. Everything is "cheap" if you use it a lot, this how I explain my growing fleet of bikes to my wife

Yours looks nearly ready to hit the water, and is there room for a bike aboard? Taking a bike along would be a great use of both.

Please limit posting images of cheese steak Sandwiches, some of us are on diets at the moment

Thanks again off to google up the places that you mention.

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Wutz a diet? @.o
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Please limit posting images of cheese steak Sandwiches, some of us are on diets at the moment

OZ.
    Hey-there was no cheese on that steak! That's a diet sammich.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

I spy...

Hi Mike, last time I did this it freaked the guy out, so I hope you don't mind.

A quick look on google maps and a few screen shots and I was along for your ride

The steak place was easy...

Fat Biking and health-screen-shot-2017-09-18-8.08.24-am.jpg

The picnic place was possibly one of these tables...

Fat Biking and health-screen-shot-2017-09-18-8.05.30-am.jpg

Nice looking place, hope you don't find this weird, its just nice to put names and places together.

Just don't put your home base name up

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Wutz a diet? @.o
    Hi Banshee something I need when I don't ride enough. Otherwise my "See" food and eat it lifestyle has me cursing any hills on my trails :0

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hey-there was no cheese on that steak! That's a diet sammich.
    Hey thats true its a Protein and Carb top up, low fat

OZ.

mtbr member
    Hey thats true its a Protein and Carb top up, low fat

OZ.
    Word!

Of course, I jest. Coming off a weekend of the "see food" diet, I'm five pounds up and ready to get back to brass tacks.

mtbr member
    Lots of great pictures guys. Chief, keep up the efforts. Just a few weeks ago you were not riding at all.

Some of my family was in town. My niece was bored with the adults talking so I took her on the local beginner trail. Another kid hooked. She waived off of a couple of the more technical features, but she did pretty well overall. It is hard to find more beautiful weather than Fall in Ohio.Fat Biking and health-molly-beginner.jpgFat Biking and health-molly-beginner-loop.jpg
    Last edited by iliketexmex; 2 Days Ago at 07:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Lots of great pictures guys. Chief, keep up the efforts. Just a few weeks ago you were not riding at all.

Some of my family was in town. My niece was bored with the adults talking so I her on the local beginner trail. Another kid hooked. She waived off of a couple of the more technical features, but she did pretty well overall. It is hard to find more beautiful weather than Fall in Ohio.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Molly on beginner.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	222.6 KB 
ID:	1158227Click image for larger version. 

Name:	molly in beginner loop.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	1158228
    I spent my early childhood in Ohio, out in Perry Township. I still have a sister in Painesville. I go back once a year or so. Great state, Ohio.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Surly - We had a blast. There are local group night rides several times a year. Although this ride was just a friend and I. This was the first time I've ridden the more technical trail system at night.

Tex..you are right. Single track in the Ohio fall season is hard to beat. Fall is only second to snow trail riding!

Guys, thanks a million; it makes me feel good to know that you all take some amount of interest and pleasure out of the photos and commentary. Best darn thread on this site...right here, cause it's the people who make it that way!

Chief: Many thanks! Get that picture of the 'schrooms while they are still up and post them here. As TexMex pointed out tonight, you've made tremendous progress in a very small amount of time with your recovery. That's a credit to the willpower within. Well done!

DirtyHun: My shots around the Delaware River has us roughly some 120 miles from Cape Henlopen, Delaware, where Delaware Bay meets the Atlantic ocean. I want to believe the Delaware is the last major river that has not been dammed or blocked somehow by man. Thanks for coming along for the ride!

Wade: My 6 month checkup with my cardiologist falls at the end of this month. I'm sure he'd be thrilled of my selection for lunch! Good thing I didn't photograph breakfast.....4 slices of some delicious cold thin sliced Brooklyn style pizza.....washed down a bit later at the beginning of the ride with a 5 Hour Energy..... All in all, it does all help put a little more spring in the step during these long rides; especially the carbo loading.

Surly In Oz: Heck, I don't mind one bit about the screen shots...kinda wished I knew how to do that myself. I appreciate you having the interest in coming along for the ride by looking these landmarks up. In the day to day drudgery of life, I want to believe we take many things for granted in the areas we live in. Yes, you got the picnic table location correct at Amico Island park. Our Burlington County parks system does a nice job building and maintaining these parks. When the shipping channel for the Delaware requires dredging, the US Army Corps of Engineers has designated areas where that drudge muck and silt is placed. I believe Amico was one of those areas. These dredge spoil sites are a big bone of contention by the extreme environmentalists, who don't believe the river should be dredged at all. Which is impractical to say the least as the worlds commerce comes to the Philadelphia region via this river, downstream a ways from here.

Google Earth: For a long time I was kayaking the river almost on a daily basis for my exercise routine. Much like the bike run to Burlington, I would kayak from Bordentown Beach southbound to and around Burlington Island; which all told is some near 20 miles on the water. Some days with the tide changes, it was like a downhill bike run, you're just along for the ride, flying with the current. Other days, the wind and current were against you and it wasn't too much fun at all. Anyways, after getting a laptop and discovering this thing called Google Earth, I thought the chances were pretty good that I might be able to find myself out on a paddle somewhere in that route from Bordentown to Burlington. And wouldn't you know.....there I was; just south of the Roebling Park; a solo yellow drysuited kayaker paddling a baby blue sea kayak. Here's a shot of the kayak at Bordentown Beach a few winters ago, before I got back into biking and this fat bike sickness:
    Fat Biking and health-100_1689.jpg
    P&H Vela sea kayak. 3 water tight compartments. Fiberglass. 16 feet long and about 52 pounds. Skeg for tracking in the wind. What's funny is that this photo was taken but 2 days after the next one:
    Fat Biking and health-100_1646.jpg
    South of Bordentown Beach at Fieldsboro, NJ; Delaware River. Temperature was something like 12 degrees F. The river was so choked with ice that the USCG sent a 65 foot ice breaking tug up this way to open the channel to relieve the ice dam building up at Trenton, NJ, which in turn, was threatening some homes near the river with river flooding from the ice choked river. Shortly afterwards, a day or two later; a warm front came in with rain and effectively took out the ice by natural means; allowing me to take the kayak out for a run. Winter kayak ops can be a dangerous deal with the potential for hypothermia alone. But another scary and real thought was getting out on this river and finding sheets of ice had blocked your way of getting back into your launch point; as the tide is an ever moving thing. Looking at it objectively and realistically, fat biking is a nice way of getting around with not many traps that can spring up and really hurt you. Sea kayaking a tidal river 12 months of the year is a dangerous game....

As far as my boat project handling a bike; I think it can, but it would require some more dedicated thinking and fabricating to allow the bike to ride the aft berthing area rooftop, port or starboard side. To be able to take a bike for use as a supply vehicle on overnight calls to other Delaware River ports would be ideal!

mtbr member
    I spent my early childhood in Ohio, out in Perry Township. I still have a sister in Painesville. I go back once a year or so. Great state, Ohio.
    Which Perry? Believe it or not, Ohio has 6 Perry Townships. One each in Hocking, Licking, Lake, Stark, Montgomery and Franklin Counties. Apparently people naming Ohio Townships had a deep love and admiration for the good comodore. That's not including Perrysburg and a Village of Perry. Nothing like kicking the British navy out of Lake Erie to secure your name in Ohio's landscape.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tex, looks like a great set of trails and the perfect day to show your niece why we all love mountain biking. Hopefully you have stared a fire in her belly.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Terry, yep a ride buddy would be needed at night because no one can hear you scream

Glad you had fun.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

You need one of these for the boat Mike...

Hi Mike yep its great to have an appreciation of where we are lucky to live, there are some truly shitty places in this world.

I had to look up how to screen shot on this Mac, had not done it before and like most things if you know how, its easy. Learnt how to poach the perfect egg the other day

That river looks great to ride beside or paddle on, I really like living near the ocean and Lake Macquarie. Lived inland for a few years in the 90's and was glad to move back here.

As for fitting a bike on your boat, you need one of these if space is tight.

Fat Biking and health-img_3178.jpg

Just back from paying a few bills and it was too nice a day to take my wife's car. It was a 30km round trip and this was the lunch stop. Notice the lack of a beautiful Cheese Steak Sandwich...

Me too I "really" enjoyed the protein bar that counts as lunch today

You can tell by the way the wind is blowing that the ride home was a tailwind cruise.

Fat Biking and health-img_3184.jpg

Bromptons and a boat are made for each other, Brompton just brought out an E powered one if you have deep pockets

Till next time.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Which Perry? Believe it or not, Ohio has 6 Perry Townships. One each in Hocking, Licking, Lake, Stark, Montgomery and Franklin Counties. Apparently people naming Ohio Townships had a deep love and admiration for the good comodore. That's not including Perrysburg and a Village of Perry. Nothing like kicking the British navy out of Lake Erie to secure your name in Ohio's landscape.
    Ah, but you'll note that I mentioned Painesville ...

mtbr member
    Yeah, I appreciate all the words of encouragement with my recovery. I know I wasn't riding at all just a few weeks ago. But I wanna go farther and longer, LOL. My knee is in charge right now and I go as if it's fine and it lets me know to back off.

Off day today unless I can get home in time to get pic's of the mushrooms later. Playing in my high schools Alumni Association golf outing today with my son. I think he wants a shot at the title. LOL
    I'm not swinging to many times. I don't need to piss off my knee or back.

mtbr member
    Ah, but you'll note that I mentioned Painesville ...
    That's by Cleveland right? Lots of trails in that area. Of course, very soon they will only be passable by fat bike. It's great to have the big tires in the quiver. Snow doesn't stop them

mtbr member
    That's by Cleveland right? Lots of trails in that area. Of course, very soon they will only be passable by fat bike. It's great to have the big tires in the quiver. Snow doesn't stop them
    Yessir, Lake County. I live in Arizona now, and have for about ever, so for me, the "winter" is just ending, since summers here are the harsh season.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Nice to read about all these rides and such. I've been down with a coldy/fluey thing since Thursday. It's now all in my sinuses, that's usually the last day or so, so perhaps back to riding tomorrow.

Regards ebike mileage, on Sumo I leave it in ECON mode most of the time, switching between that and OFF for normal riding, and go up to SPORT or TURBO for climbing short, steep grades now and then. I've now ridden up to 35 miles in a session with it and still had "35 miles" range left on the gauge.

I found that leaving the display on the range or "trip miles" kinda made me keep looking at it and worrying about it too much, so now I just leave it on the clock when I'm riding and only toggle over to the trip miles or range when I stop and consider the next part of a ride. So far, it's proven that it will go farther on the battery then I will go in a riding session, by about double. And I can ride it for a long time now with the power off, I just go slower in a lower gear.

It's nice not to have the battery be a constraint. I love riding this bike whether the power is on or off!

G

mtbr member
    Just a quick 6 miles as the sun was dropping today. I'd hoped to do more, but one of the teachers I supervise got himself crosswise with administration, so I was called in to negotiate between the two.

Fat Biking and health-img_20170918_180847574_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Today my ride was a "new to me" trail in Fort Wayne, Indiana called Franke Park. It was a tight winding singletrack through a city park. It was a little confusing at points, but the trails were well built and fun. https://www.relive.cc/view/1190574798

As I wrapped up my ride the parking lot was full of 20+ people from the local club getting ready for a group ride. I've never joined a group ride, but I think it would be fun. I might have asked to join them but I was completely exhausted. As I was loading my van I overheard someone say "I just saw a guy with huge tires" and I thought "if you only knew what you were missing"

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Just a quick 6 miles as the sun was dropping today. I'd hoped to do more, but one of the teachers I supervise got himself crosswise with administration, so I was called in to negotiate between the two.

Name:	IMG_20170918_180847574_HDR.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	1158413
    Lemme get this straight, you got your ass hauled into the principals office? Way to go! Hope you didn't get detention. roflmao
    That bike is lookin good! Fatness was never so good as it is now...
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Hi Banshee something I need when I don't ride enough. Otherwise my "See" food and eat it lifestyle has me cursing any hills on my trails :0

OZ.
    Seafood diet is the only kind! I get piss poor fuel economy, lol...

Bicycles are good at fixing spare tire prollems, don'tcha know!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G, you have man flu the most devastating virus know to man look after yourself.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi DH, best tag I could make out of yours

Well your ride was cut short but you when in with a smile on your dial no doubt. Fat bikes do that to you.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tex, that link is cool, those trails really make the most of the area. Easy to see how you could get muddled in there.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Seafood diet is the only kind! I get piss poor fuel economy, lol...

Bicycles are good at fixing spare tire prollems, don'tcha know!
    Hi Banshee the 4500km I did last year only just kept the tummy at bay. Watching what I eat at the moment and dropped 3 kilos in two weeks.

Now if my family would not leave me alone with packets of M&M and the TV and it would be better

OZ.

mtbr member
    Watching what I eat at the moment and dropped 3 kilos in two weeks.
    No doubt Oz, the battle of the bulge is won and lost in the kitchen. I've shed weight just by adding exercise, but cycling alone won't get you all the way.

I love food, especially sweets, so that is the tough part for me. But I am getting better.
    Last edited by iliketexmex; 1 Day Ago at 04:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Lemme get this straight, you got your ass hauled into the principals office? Way to go! Hope you didn't get detention. roflmao
    That bike is lookin good! Fatness was never so good as it is now...
    It's true-and the other kid started it!