Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm one of your "stalkers" - haha... Love to read the stories and your progress. :-) Heard you call in on the latest Fat Bike Radio. Too bad they cut you off without expanding on your story. (Seems they prefer the drunk and dumb guests... Haha) I think they could do an entire episode on you!

Michelle in Northern IL

they took the bar
    came across this thread, and really enjoyed the story and inspiration. Bear, good to hear you've been in the saddle, and shredding. Hope you are recovering well.

-Jav

mtbr member
    Did a gravel road ride this afternoon. Nice day to be outside after work. Hey, oldbear, you and family still moving to Arizona? Hope all is well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hey oldbear, I haven't been here a while, but I'm happy to hear you are making a speedy recovery. I'll be with you in spirit on your next ride - make it a good one!

mtbr member
    Okay, where is everyone? I rode 42 single track miles on my fatty on Sunday and had a blast. Tonight I rode 20 and had as much fun. Yesterday I rode my SS and it was not as much fun but still great.

OldBear, where are you and how are you recovering. I miss your posts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Fat Biking and health

Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    Okay, where is everyone? I rode 42 single track miles on my fatty on Sunday and had a blast. Tonight I rode 20 and had as much fun. Yesterday I rode my SS and it was not as much fun but still great.

OldBear, where are you and how are you recovering. I miss your posts.
    Just turn that fatty into a SS and have double the fun.

mtbr member
    It's -18F this morning without a wind chill and that trend is supposed to continue for the better part of the next week. As a result, there won't be much biking going on for this guy, at least outdoors.

Hope all is well oldbear!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    First post here. I'm 72 and just getting back into biking after 55 years absence. I got the fat bike that I could afford, the cheapest one my local bike shop had. It's a Sun Baja Cruz. It was $500 so I assume it's a despicable critter, but then I might be one too! I love it. I've had it for a week and have ridden it every day. Not many hills in this part of Florida so my rides are pretty flat. The big tires do good on pavement and on packed dirt and gravel. Not so good on sandy trails. Tires are rated for 8 to 30 lbs pressure and are currently carrying 15 lbs. Think I need to drop 'em to 8 to 10 lbs. for sand. Does that make sense. Should the lower pressure still support my 275 lb. bones? Thanks, Dennis

mtbr member
    You should be fine but try 12 and 10 first and work down from there. Hope this helps. Welcome to the addiction.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Anyone heard from oldbear? Curious how he is coming along

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by obxmush View Post
    Anyone heard from oldbear? Curious how he is coming along
    I have sent him a pm and nothing.

they took the bar
    I have sent him a pm and nothing.
    Hope and pray all is well. He started an awesome thread, and is an inspiration to many of us!

-Jav

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Prayers going out for Oldbear. I can relate to this thread in a big way. Last April, I had an M. I. It was definitely a game changer, to say the least. My question to the cardiologist was, "when can I ride my bike?" His answer was "as soon as you go home" with limitations. 3 months ago the restrictions were lifted. Yay! Bought a fatty for my birthday, and became a "toys r us kid". There's nothing like a bike that should say Jeep on it! It has been a Godsend for my recovery. The only issue I have had since was at 11000' elevation riding the snowmobile trails, my oil pressure light came on after an hour and a half of riding so headed back into town to the ER, they checked me over and said everything is good. Diagnosis, oxygen debt. Go figure!

Oldbear, hope all is good for ya, heal well!

mtbr member

I'm baaaaaack.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Prayers going out for Oldbear. I can relate to this thread in a big way. Last April, I had an M. I. It was definitely a game changer, to say the least. My question to the cardiologist was, "when can I ride my bike?" His answer was "as soon as you go home" with limitations. 3 months ago the restrictions were lifted. Yay! Bought a fatty for my birthday, and became a "toys r us kid". There's nothing like a bike that should say Jeep on it! It has been a Godsend for my recovery. The only issue I have had since was at 11000' elevation riding the snowmobile trails, my oil pressure light came on after an hour and a half of riding so headed back into town to the ER, they checked me over and said everything is good. Diagnosis, oxygen debt. Go figure!

Oldbear, hope all is good for ya, heal well!
    I definately identify with you Bro Ihave been absent from my own tbhread because I didn't have access mto the net. But that has been changed and (I can post again. Rehab hAs been going really well. I am up to forty minutes on the stationary bike and next week I can ride outside if the weather is good enpugh. Had a bit of a problem last week though. Thursday morning at 2am my handicapped son woke us up vomitiing and witha fever. I stayed up with him and around four thirty I had chest pain that doubled me over. My wife called 911 and I wen tto the ER. I wound up staying all day Thursday and most of Friday in the telemetry unit . They did a chemical stress test 'cuz they didn't want me to collapse, (silly medicos) to see if there was anyfurther damage to my heart. Of course becauseof my rehab schedule and my oln bike excercise program b efore all this hit I was given a clean bill of health. So as far as my projected 'back on the dirt' ,time I will be riding in a week! Mean while the Monster sits awaiting it'scall to service along with it's compadre the ss fat bike. on the festival front Sedolna is being put off til next year. I just won't be ready for it. But Dirtfest inPennsy is a real possibility. -I will keep you all posted.

Until tomorrow --------PEACE
    THE OLDEBEAR AKA FRED

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. This going to the hospital stuff has got to stop sometime. IMHO

Really, take care of yourself and enjoy your journey back to the addiction.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. This going to the hospital stuff has got to stop sometime. IMHO

Really, take care of yourself and enjoy your journey back to the addiction.
    Thanks.
    I just checked the temp here in Rolla and it's right at 32. we are expecting snow and i wish i could ride! Buit the temps won't cooperate and besides my time is still 6 days off. But the rest of the crew plans on riding
    I still take my own saddle to rehab. In fact even the seatpost fits so i don't have to fool around with it too much.
    We had some snow about a week back and then ice on top of that. It made for some interesting slkiding and falling by my Daughter and tom. LOL I wish I wuld have gotten some video of them.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Glad you are doing well OB! The bike will be there when you are ready to ride.
    I have to go in for follow up & another echo in 2 weeks, hope the outcome is
    good prognosis.
    so far the only trouble I have had was @ 11000 ft. elevation. Oxygen debt pissed things
    off a wee bit. Down to lower elevation resolved it.

Be good, and no more going AWOL!!!

mtbr member
    I agree with the above post. No more AWOL!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Alright, OB! How ya doin' today? Hoping to hear that you are on the mend.
    We are anticipating an adventure story from your end with good times had!

Glad they gave you a clean bill of health. Next week you can hit the rehab
    With your friend, Mr. Fatty for the fun rehab, 'cause those stationary bikes
    Aren't as fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    OldBear - you still have your supporters here - but the way you hang in, I think YOU are supporting us!

Can't say enough praise for your effort and good will. Know that there are many standing with you!

mtbr member
    Rode the pavement again today. The south wasn't meant for ice and snow and cold. Got in two snowy icy rides. About 1/4 inch snow over ice is tough on any bike, IMHO. Hey, OldBear, how about a weekend update? I think you know you have an audience. Toyota, you asked for it, you got it.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by iCollector View Post
    OldBear - you still have your supporters here - but the way you hang in, I think YOU are supporting us!

Can't say enough praise for your effort and good will. Know that there are many standing with you!
    Werd!

mtbr member
    Fat Biking and health-image.jpgI've been mostly a road cyclist with some MTB tossed in. But we've this wonderful beach 1/2 mile west and for the 60th my wife got me the fat. I love riding 5-6 times a week in the sand. Brutal. Much more work than asphalt. But I'm 60 & looking to keep the Fam tradition of living ripe into 90's. All I can say is take it easy but take a lot of easy. Be fiercely patient, diligent. Rock on.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    That's the kind of fat that's good for ya. Keep it up!

Btw...drop the pressure in the tires for the sand, it will greatly improve the ride. Although, the one accessory you'll need is a high volume tire pump for the ride home.

mtbr member
    Rode in 3.5 inches of snow powder over a little ice this afternoon on a local golf course and some of the horse trails. Lots of sledders out. Rode just under 2 hours and it was great. Roads were a little icy getting back to the car but we made it without incident. Now bring on spring, please.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	214.5 KB 
ID:	968541I've been mostly a road cyclist with some MTB tossed in. But we've this wonderful beach 1/2 mile west and for the 60th my wife got me the fat. I love riding 5-6 times a week in the sand. Brutal. Much more work than asphalt. But I'm 60 & looking to keep the Fam tradition of living ripe into 90's. All I can say is take it easy but take a lot of easy. Be fiercely patient, diligent. Rock on.
    Love the post! I am back once again . Got on the fatty today for a ride out at the Kaintuck Rec Area. It hit 62 so it was a pleasant ride for all of us. My recovery is complete and now i can ride everyday again. yay! We covered about 15 miiles in the dirt and I was just so excited to to ride and not experience any problems. I did have my first flat today. I hit a piece of wire and it made my tire go flat. Lucky for me Tom came equipped with rather nice home made steel tire irons and we made quick work of the Problem.
    Other than that it was beautiful day and we all loved riding together again.

Un6til tomorrow.........PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

mtbr member
    That's the kind of fat that's good for ya. Keep it up!

Btw...drop the pressure in the tires for the sand, it will greatly improve the ride. Although, the one accessory you'll need is a high volume tire pump for the ride home.
    Ha! Forgot to mention that I roll 5.25 rear 3.5 psi front. That's brutal in beach sand...any lower and I might as well be riding a Caterpillar! Thanks!

mtbr member

I'm baaaaack.

Oh I forgot some toher exciting point to relate. First health wise I went to my pnp this week for a follow up after the episode. when I weighed in I am now sitting at 230 lbs! Annnnnnnnnd They took me off oxygen permanently. They pick up my machine and bottles this week. Another thingis my a1c. A month ago it was 13. way too high. Now I have it down to 7.8 which is substantianly better.
    Second, On my quest for a Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro, I will order mine next month! Of course it will be in black like my stock monster. I look forward to getting it set up and running oin the Berryman in May.

Again, unitl tomorrow.........PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Oh I forgot some toher exciting point to relate. First health wise I went to my pnp this week for a follow up after the episode. when I weighed in I am now sitting at 230 lbs! Annnnnnnnnd They took me off oxygen permanently. They pick up my machine and bottles this week. Another thingis my a1c. A month ago it was 13. way too high. Now I have it down to 7.8 which is substantianly better.
    Second, On my quest for a Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro, I will order mine next month! Of course it will be in black like my stock monster. I look forward to getting it set up and running oin the Berryman in May.

Again, unitl tomorrow.........PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)
    Thanks for the update. Glad to know you are better.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Glad to hear the good news! And a new bike to boot!? That sounds like the health is improved greatly to give up the O2 as well. That must be a major relief for you and your family to see such good improvement.
    Back out for adventures sure is a good piece of news as well!

Good stuff!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
    Ha! Forgot to mention that I roll 5.25 rear 3.5 psi front. That's brutal in beach sand...any lower and I might as well be riding a Caterpillar! Thanks!
    Lol, my caterpillar had a ride in the high country on Saturday. The tires @ 3 psi front & 4 rear for an afternoon of snow riding. This time about with no issues with no blood pressure drop mid ride. Snowmobilers were slowing down in amazement at the big fat tires our bikes have. And how well they perform in snow.

These bikes sure do make adventures come to be!

mtbr member

Fat Biking Is PHUN

Lol, my caterpillar had a ride in the high country on Saturday. The tires @ 3 psi front & 4 rear for an afternoon of snow riding. This time about with no issues with no blood pressure drop mid ride. Snowmobilers were slowing down in amazement at the big fat tires our bikes have. And how well they perform in snow.

These bikes sure do make adventures come to be!
    Bansheerun:
    Good to hear about your BP. ANNNNND riding on snow must be a riot!
    I went out at 8:30am and rode for around three hours. Just taking it nice and easy. Checked my pulse and O2 levelmid ride and my pulse was 80 and O2 98%. Pretty nice for an old fart.
    I had a nice 'brunch' waiting for me when i tgot home. Had French toast, turkey bacon and OJ. Going to break out the trailer this afternoon and go to kroger's with my son. I will ride my ss fatty and Sean will be on his too. He's autistic but that doesn't stophm from riding and enjoying it too;.

I hope everyone has a safe day and get out and ride!

Until Later.............PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    That's great news OldBear! And a great breakfast awaiting the end of an adventure? How cool is that? Gotta love it! Glad you are doing very well. A grocery run turned adventure sounds like a good time too!

The snow ride is great fun, tho' I have to take it a lot slower than I would like. Every ride is better than the previous. It's fantastic being out on a trail that has many uses, from snowmobiles, dog sleds, and xcountry skiers...oh, and fAt bikers! The diversity of users is the best, 'cause everyone is courteous and friendly. Makes it good to be a toys r us kid!

Don't laugh...you're a toys r us kid too!

mtbr member

I don't wanna gro0w up.........

Yup I am a Toys R Us kid! I went shopping and got some dinner for tonight. Chicken, French Fries and Cole slaw, We took it slow and rode a circut to Kroger's on a paved bike trail about m100 yds from the apartment. We rode our SS's and took a nice long downhill and side streets to the store. My son and i both have Gravity Deadeye Monster SS's that we bought a few months ago and we love 'em. Tom came over and replaced the chain on my Bullseye monster for me. It's nice to have him with us. He's a certyified bike mechanic and has a nice shop in his garage too boot. oldbear (aka Fred) PEACE
    Last edited by oldbear52; 03-09-2015 at 05:33 PM. Reason: missing words

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    That works! Good excuse to get out and get some exercise and supper to boot! Glad you and your son are both riding and having a great time together.

Next week I have to go to the cardiologist for a follow up. Hoping the outcome is good.
    It will be a year since my heart attack in April. Must say the fatty has been a great form of exercise. And fun as it gets to boot!

mtbr member
    That works! Good excuse to get out and get some exercise and supper to boot! Glad you and your son are both riding and having a great time together.

Next week I have to go to the cardiologist for a follow up. Hoping the outcome is good.
    It will be a year since my heart attack in April. Must say the fatty has been a great form of exercise. And fun as it gets to boot!
    That's one of the reasons i got back into biking. My cardiologist suggested I get a Bike to ride on the Bike Paths that run through our little city. So long story short, my fat bikes have b3ecome a source of health and happiness for me. In fact my cardiologist always follows my posts. He has a TGrek Farley 6. He shadows me on here and doesn't really want to post because he's extremely busy.
    As dfar as my Handicapped son goes Like I said he has autism and that includes some motor skill coordination so we bought him a Gravity Deadeye Monster. He has learned to use the hand breaks and even goes on evening rides around the block with me and today he rode around town on the paved bike path to go shopping with me pulling our trailer. He has our family gut and is losing it slowly.

Until Tomorrow..........PEACE
    Oldbear(aka Fred)

mtbr member
    Wonderful day for me. I went over to St. James and rode the forest city trails. We spent four hours there and had a good workout. I checked my O2 level and Pulse rate at the mid-way point and the O2 was 98% and my pulse rate was 87bpm. Was a little muddy but my Husker-du's kept me rolling. I even got into a sprint with Beth back to the car:

OLdbear (aka Fred) PEACE

mtbr member
    Thanks for the ride report. Glad to hear your are back outside riding and feeling better. Nice.

mtbr member
    I am up a little later than usual because I am on some new meds and I am just waiting or the last dose to kick in.
    i am excited to get my new bike. Sean is going to inherit my Monster. I will probably swap out the stock tires onto the monster and put the Husker-Du's on the new bike.
    robertdavid: by the way I won the sprint back to the parking lot

Untillatertoday..........PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

mtbr member
    robertdavid: by the way I won the sprint back to the parking lot

Untillatertoday..........PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)
    Nice; I rarely win sprint finishes.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    OB, and I thought you were going to let her win!

Glad to hear you had a good time out riding! & those #'s are looking good too.
    You have some great places close by for an adventure, so hope to hear more of the adventures going down. Thankful the the docs are giving their blessing for you to ride!

Yesterday was a run to pick up a customers tv from repair, which put me a short distance from Fruita. Made for some good riding cause the weather was unseasonably warm.
    Had to pump up the tires because they were still squishy from Saturday's snow adventure.
    Had no trouble with the heart because of the lower elevation.

Keep it up OldBear!

mtbr member
    To Quote the late great Mr. Rogers: "it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood". I put almost five hours this morning on the bike. I rode part of the Berryman with Tom and Beth, (My daughter.) No signs of fatigue or other issues. Just a leisurely pace. we rode halfway and turned around and went back to our car. My O2 level and HR stay well within the limits set by my Doctor. (98% and HR 87)
    The Weather could not have been more beautiful. clear skies and a light wind, Right now at 3:13pm it's 72.6f.
    So Sean and I are getting ready for a ride around the neighborhood just to get him out of the house and excersing

More later.,..........PEACE

Oldbear (AKA Fred)

mtbr member
    OB, and I thought you were going to let her win!

Glad to hear you had a good time out riding! & those #'s are looking good too.
    You have some great places close by for an adventure, so hope to hear more of the adventures going down. Thankful the the docs are giving their blessing for you to ride!

Yesterday was a run to pick up a customers tv from repair, which put me a short distance from Fruita. Made for some good riding cause the weather was unseasonably warm.
    Had to pump up the tires because they were still squishy from Saturday's snow adventure.
    Had no trouble with the heart because of the lower elevation.

Keep it up OldBear!
    You Must live near grand Junction. I love western Colorado. We are planning a trip to Moab to look ata double wide in June witgh the possibility of relocating there in the fall. My Wife and I are retired radio DJ's and We used to live in Price Ut. back in the 90's . We used to make monthky 'pilgrimage to moab" Our favorite area it the Sand Flats above slickrock. We would ride slickrock plus the ;long road across the Sand Flats. It's been 20 myears since we ghave been out there. Maybe we can have a meet up? Until later.......PEACE Oldbear (akaFred)

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Lemme know when you will be in the area. Moab and the surrounding area is a mountain bike habitat for sure! Hope it works out for you to move there.

I am in the Glenwood Springs area, and make the pilgrimage to junktown from time to time. The riding out there is stellar.

mtbr member
    Lemme know when you will be in the area. Moab and the surrounding area is a mountain bike habitat for sure! Hope it works out for you to move there.

I am in the Glenwood Springs area, and make the pilgrimage to junktown from time to time. The riding out there is stellar.
    Cool Beans! We spebnt some time in the carbon area south of Glenwood Springs back in '95. We had a 1955 International Harvester bus that was converted into a rv. We climbed up and over the mountains heading towards Panonia (?) The n took the dirt roads up and over the mountains to Crested Butte vis Kebler Pass.

Maybe next fall after we get moved we'll have you out for a weekend. My friend who is giving us the doublewide in return for watching his small manufactured home park says its a four bedroom, so we'll have plenty of room. I have lots of friends lining up to come on out. LOL

Until later.........pEACE

oldbear (aka FRED)

mtbr member

Another Quiet day.

Today was an off day. but after looking at the weather forecast looks like I'll get wet tomorrow. I did ride my SS fatty to the store today. It's about 3miles as I ride a bit of the bike path.It's downhill to the store and uphill coming back.
    Soon i will set my order in for the Gravity Bullseye Monster pro, It's gonna be the fourth Gravity Bike we own.we have between Sean and I
    right now two Gravity Deadeye Monster SS and one Gravity Bullseye Monster. I am so looking forward to the Pro. That bluto might just help ease some of the tension I get from extended rides, like the Berryman
    We are goignto rent a Mini van to go to Utah in June. I have a friend who is going to build up a lightweight trailer to haul six bikes and my trailer. It will be nice to do it like that instead of hauling everything iside.there just won't be room with five adults and all our gear. We decided to Hotel it instead of camping mainly because my wife will be recovering for so major surgery and we have had our fill of camping in tents.
    On another forum a buddy of mine is posting pictures o0f the desert around Las Vegas and telling us how hot it is there (87f today). I told him next winter to keep his guest room open.

Until tomorrow........PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

beer thief
    Fred, I have to tell you how impressed I am with your weight loss. If I have this right, you have lost about 100 lbs. in less than a year. And it's easy to see you have been having fun doing it. Keep up the good work and best wishes for continued good health.

mtbr member
    Nice post Fred. Glad to hear you are out there again.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    The most comical vehicle & bike ordeal I have ever witnessed was a friend trying to get his bike into his smart for two! The damn thing is so small there's room for two and a couple of bags of groceries.
    That new bike will be nice with the bluto.

mtbr member
    The most comical vehicle & bike ordeal I have ever witnessed was a friend trying to get his bike into his smart for two! The damn thing is so small there's room for two and a couple of bags of groceries.
    That new bike will be nice with the bluto.
    I rode in one of those "smart cars" once and I never want to experience like that
    I never felt so unprotected and unsafe. Give me my Detroit iron any day. (right now We don't own a car) LOL
    Today was an official OFF DAY. But Sean and I walked aro0und town a bit to get some stuff done. Big problem arose though. Seems this town goes Crazy and hold their parade for the Patron Saint of the University St. Patrick. We ghad to avoid much of the area we would walk in and had to circumnavigate the parade route to avoid the bands of drunk Students. It took us nearly two and a half hours to go to and get back from the store.
    Other than being leg sore we are both tired and now i will say good night.

Until later today.......PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Couldn't agree more on feeling unsafe. Screw 50+ mpg. I'll take a real vehicle over one of those smart cars.
    OldBear,
    Just glad to hear you got out for some exercise and are doing well.

How convenient, an event to make getting around a picnic!

Saturday was a trip to Fruita for some fat mountain biking. I rode Mary's loop and Rustlers loop. The weather was favorable with temps 70 degrees. Had to take it easy for some of it. It was a good time and uneventful.

Sunday was a local ride on single track close to home. Just didn't have the energy I did on Saturday tho'. No trouble with the heart on either day made it worth it.

The peeps on regular bikes were amazed at the fAt tires and their ability to ride over the rocky trail. These fat bikes are 2 wheeled Jeeps! And so fun to ride, to boot.

mtbr member
    Rode my Specialized fatty in a 40 mile race in Western North Carolina yesterday. 4500 feet of climbing with technical single track and fireroads and rocky double track with creek crossings thrown in. Had a great time there.

Keep this thread very alive OldBear and everyone else. Drove back to Nashville right after the race, 5 hours. Pretty long day but worth it.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    That's a serious ride! Good stuff. Don't think I could do it yet, tho', cause the ticker ain't
    what it used to be.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I was glad to break 4 hours again. Rode well but the climbs, even on a light fatty, are not as easy as on my Single Speed. But this one was a lot more fun on fatty. Will do this as long as I can. I turn 60 in June and the recovery takes longer.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I can relate. The climbs can take their toll. Just take the advice your body offers, and heed it.

My fatty is a 9Zero7 weighing in @ 32 lbs, no worse than my 4x bike but those marshmallows we call tires are so irresistible. I am grateful the cardiologist said my bike is a prescription. No longer making excuses to ride is awesome!

Gotta say thanks to OldBear for starting a thread so good!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Seems OldBear has been awfully quiet lately! Hope you're ok.

mtbr member
    Seems OldBear has been awfully quiet lately! Hope you're ok.
    I have been busy with the wife. Haven't ridden much since Monday because the weather has become cold and rainy. Planning on a big ride Saturday on the KATY Trail eastbound to Hermann. Going to take Sean along with Beth and Tom. Going to ride my Gravity Deadeye Monster SS Because there no real grades to tackle as the trail follows the Missouri river bottoms all the way to Hermann.
    A week until I place my order for the Pro. It will be the black model as all fat bikes are either Black or Matte Black.

Until later.......peace
    Oldbear52...(AKA Fred)

mtbr member
    I can relate. The climbs can take their toll. Just take the advice your body offers, and heed it.

My fatty is a 9Zero7 weighing in @ 32 lbs, no worse than my 4x bike but those marshmallows we call tires are so irresistible. I am grateful the cardiologist said my bike is a prescription. No longer making excuses to ride is awesome!

Gotta say thanks to OldBear for starting a thread so good!
    You are welcome. Your cardiologistis wise....LOL......Mine wants to join us in May when we tackle the Berryman.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Couldn't agree more, OldBear!
    Tomorrow is my cardiologist visit. Fingers crossed all turns up well.

Has anticipation set in yet? Can't wait to hear about a new adventure with your new friend!

Just got the summer tires for my bike, swapped out the Bud/Lou with Dillinger 5's. They roll with less resistance than the Surly's and should last longer too.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Cardiologist appt was with good news! They have lifted all restrictions. The doc says my heart is doing very well.

Oh yeah, the bike is still a prescription! Yay!!

mtbr member
    Cardiologist appt was with good news! They have lifted all restrictions. The doc says my heart is doing very well.

Oh yeah, the bike is still a prescription! Yay!!
    Nice news. Congratulations on a good visit.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Thanks Robert. Today is a run to Fruita to meet up with a group and ride Mary's loop. Would be cool if you and OldBear could join us! The lower elevation is quite helpful as well.

mtbr member
    Thanks Robert. Today is a run to Fruita to meet up with a group and ride Mary's loop. Would be cool if you and OldBear could join us! The lower elevation is quite helpful as well.
    Hello all!

I had to go into the horse pistol again. This time for two days for some extensive tests to check exactly how much damage these three mini-strokes have done. (3 cat scans An EKG an EEG and an Echo cardiogram) There no damage to my motor functions, and absolutely no further heart damage. The only residual damage is to my speech and memory loss.

I wish I was out west NOW. It hit 76 in Moab today and I wold have been out and about riding.
    Yup I wish I would have been in Fruita with you and Robertdavid, Banshee.
    By the was excellent report from you visit with your cardiologist.

Until tomorrow, \

Oldbear (AKA Fred)
    PEACE

mtbr member
    You guys get and stay healthy. You are scaring me. Wish we could ride sometime. It would be great.

have a great Sunday. I am riding my fatty for several hours tomorrow. I am trying to do one distance event per month and have to keep up my riding and training. Woohoo

mtbr member
    After all the teats my cardiologist stopped by my room and so did my neurologist. Both of them cleared me for the berryman tomorrow! Yup I forgot that Important piece of news. My cardiologist is going to meet us at the trailhead and he's even bringing some subway sammies fpr us to eat at the opposite. His wife is going to pickus up in their family van and take us back to the start. So tomorrow is an assault on the trail that put me in the hospital. LOL
    Then Monday will be a light workout on the Lion's Club Trail for two hours> I am tringto get back into my usual schedule. My routine is I ride five days a week and usually put in 3 hours a day. three of the days I try to get a cardio workout and then the other two I usually ride to enjoy the scenery. My usual day off is Sunday. But tomorrow is different. We are not going to try to set any records for speed. We are going to take it easy and take in a leisurely ride. Monday will be a transition day back into n=my routine.
    Banshee and Robertdavid: I wish we could ride together too! The High tomorrow is going to be 68f and I will wear light clothing to start and carry a backpack to carry my pouter clothing as I warm up.

Everybody Get Out N Ride somewhere!

Oldbear (AKA Fred)
    PEACE

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011

Wink

Fruita report:

Weather: clear, 76 degrees light breeze.

We got off to a great start, rolling Horse Thief and finishing off with Mary's Loop. Good riding out there without incident. Just can't find a better way to piss away a Saturday!
    The highlight of the ride was a chap flying a rather elaborate drone. It sounded like a pissed off hornets nest at 100 Db, unbelievably loud. There were a couple other folks on fatty's as well.

OldBear, CUT IT OUT!!! Just kidding... Glad all turned out well for ya. Sounds rather concerning tho'. Just hoping you're all good. Looking forward to the ride report too!

BTW: The cardiologist was interested in trying out a fatty! (Public service announcement) "First hit's free" Hope he gets to the "wanna fly Kid, ya gotta buy Kid" part...

Be safe out there OldBear & Robert!

mtbr member
    Fruita report:

Weather: clear, 76 degrees light breeze.

We got off to a great start, rolling Horse Thief and finishing off with Mary's Loop. Good riding out there without incident. Just can't find a better way to piss away a Saturday!
    The highlight of the ride was a chap flying a rather elaborate drone. It sounded like a pissed off hornets nest at 100 Db, unbelievably loud. There were a couple other folks on fatty's as well.

OldBear, CUT IT OUT!!! Just kidding... Glad all turned out well for ya. Sounds rather concerning tho'. Just hoping you're all good. Looking forward to the ride report too!

BTW: The cardiologist was interested in trying out a fatty! (Public service announcement) "First hit's free" Hope he gets to the "wanna fly Kid, ya gotta buy Kid" part...

Be safe out there OldBear & Robert!
    had a wonderful day out on the trail. Everyone rode real well and i has my BP,HR and HR all checked professionally.My BP stayed within normal limits and after one long uphill I was checked for heart rate and it was only 85.
    Our lunch was neat. Steve's wife brought out a table and some folding chairs. Had Subs and chips and diet soda. We all went home pretty well tired but it was a good tired like we really accomplished something.

So how was everybody's day outside?

Until Tomorrow ...........PEACE
    Old bear (aka Fred)

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Now that's more like it OldBear! Glad you got out there and had a good time. And the heart rate and blood pressure was behaving too ! Yay, for good news!
    A picnic lunch afterward sounds quite nice.

Just glad you are doing well, and adventuring again!

mtbr member
    Now that's more like it OldBear! Glad you got out there and had a good time. And the heart rate and blood pressure was behaving too ! Yay, for good news!
    A picnic lunch afterward sounds quite nice.

Just glad you are doing well, and adventuring again!
    Thanks Bansheerun!
    I really did enjoy myself today. The temp was65-68f and I wound up shucking my sweats and sweat shirt down to mt shorts and light hawaiian shirt Right at the end i got hot enough to actually work up a sweat!
    I did alright except for one long climb that I had to get off and walk up rigth near the end.

Until; Tomorrow...........PEACE

Oldbear (aaka Fred)

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Good times! Glad you are enjoying the ride. I can relate on the last of the climb. My legs turn to rubber on long climbs and recovery takes time these days.

Shows to go ya, we need jerseys with handicapped emblems on 'em!

mtbr member
    Nice play. I rode one of the local trails yesterday. It was fun and the weather was pretty nice. Hope both of you stay healthy and get out and enjoy each day. Thanks for the updates.

mtbr member
    Good times! Glad you are enjoying the ride. I can relate on the last of the climb. My legs turn to rubber on long climbs and recovery takes time these days.

Shows to go ya, we need jerseys with handicapped emblems on 'em!
    LOL Either the handicapped emblem or a slow moving vehicle triangle. according to my computer I never got above 19 mph average for the entire trip and that includes some sweet downhill runs.

Until Later Today..............PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I can relate! I am working on getting back in the groove. I have been looking for some flowing trails that don't require my trials bike! (KOXX Red Sky)
    A friend of mine has 2 hip joints that need replaced...again so he needs one too!

Hoping to ride at lunch time today, just to ride. I can't seem to get enough of the fatty!

Robert, keep it up! Any excuse to ride is a good one!

mtbr member
    I rode the local trail on my 29er this afternoon. Fatty needed a rest after yesterday's long ride. Hope to get out tomorrow afternoon also. Keep the updates coming. Keeps me on my toes.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Good stuff, Robert! The long fatty rides are the bees knees, but I have been eyeballing my '98 Turner Stinger for an outing. Yeah, it's vintage these days, but a 3" full suspension that weighs a scant 22 lbs is sure inviting. Oh, that fuel economy! The Stinger gets 12 miles per sandwich, the fatty around 5! Lol

mtbr member
    I love that sandwich per miles theory. Seems okay. My fatty weighs about 24 pounds. Saved almost 3 years for a full sup and ended up with a fat bike. It is light but you still have to pedal more rotational weight. I love riding it more than any other bike but I like to ride all of them for different reasons. Have a great day and go out and play a little.

mtbr member
    Good stuff, Robert! The long fatty rides are the bees knees, but I have been eyeballing my '98 Turner Stinger for an outing. Yeah, it's vintage these days, but a 3" full suspension that weighs a scant 22 lbs is sure inviting. Oh, that fuel economy! The Stinger gets 12 miles per sandwich, the fatty around 5! Lol
    I think my fatty SS gets around 4 and my monster gets around 10. They are my only means of transportation right now. We are looking at a Volvo station wagon though. LOL

No riding today. It's raing cats and dogs here. and I don't have any rain gear yet.
    Yesterday we went to the doctor for my wife and she is going to Columbia Mo. for a surgical consult to get a large tumor removed. I would covet your prayers and thoughts.

Until later...........PEACE

Olbear (AKA FRED)

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    OldBear,

You and your wife are in our prayers! I can say this confidently 'cause I'm a priesthood holder.
    Hope all goes well for the Mrs. And without complications. Speedy recovery Mrs. OldBear!

Sorry to hear the weather is not cooperating today.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I love that sandwich per miles theory. Seems okay. My fatty weighs about 24 pounds. Saved almost 3 years for a full sup and ended up with a fat bike. It is light but you still have to pedal more rotational weight. I love riding it more than any other bike but I like to ride all of them for different reasons. Have a great day and go out and play a little.
    I took my bike to Jenny Craig but they said go to the LBS and drop 2 k on some carbon wheels and a few other parts.
    Dang! 24 pound fatty? Sweet ride, my friend.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a great ride! I have shaved maybe five pounds off my Fatty. Tires, tubes and a new saddle. Now it weighs in at 30.7 pounds. My Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro is going to get new tires and tubes too. I don't know what a stock one weighs in at but I think it might be in the same range as the Monster. 35.5 pounds.
    because it's got a Bluto up front.

Hey guess what? The sun came out and the temp is 61.8f. I think Sean and I might actually get some ride time in. The pave bike path will be good enough because I talked to a neighbor who went out to the Local park and said the trails were muddy.

Will fill you all in tonight.

Oldbear (aka Fred)

mtbr member
    OldBear,

You and your wife are in our prayers! I can say this confidently 'cause I'm a priesthood holder.
    Hope all goes well for the Mrs. And without complications. Speedy recovery Mrs. OldBear!

Sorry to hear the weather is not cooperating today.
    Thank you. I know all about the priesthood. .I have friends that are also LDS and are putting her in the Temple prayer Rolls out in Utah at the Ogden temple and of course the Salt Lake temple too.

Oldbear (AKA Fred)

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Glad to hear that OldBear. The Salt Lake Temple is the Holy Corporate Headquarters, so those will arrive sooner! Lol.

Really is nice to have the support. Just try to relax, Mrs. OldBear is in good hands!

mtbr member
    I hope your wife gets a good report. Keep us posted. Rode fatty today for 16.6 miles and railed it. Had to take it into the shop because the bb is creaking and it is a press fit so I don't have the tools or the knowledge to work on that.

Moderator Moderator
    Yesterday we went to the doctor for my wife and she is going to Columbia Mo. for a surgical consult to get a large tumor removed. I would covet your prayers and thoughts.

Until later...........PEACE

Olbear (AKA FRED)
    Thinking of you and your wife, OldBear. Hang tough!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I hope your wife gets a good report. Keep us posted. Rode fatty today for 16.6 miles and railed it. Had to take it into the shop because the bb is creaking and it is a press fit so I don't have the tools or the knowledge to work on that.
    So what you have is a BB that sounds like my back! Hope it was an easy fix on the bike. Glad you got out for a good ride!

I had a service call close to the continental divide today, so afterward I broke out the fatty for a final snow ride. The snow was wet and sloppy, so didn't quite go as planned.
    Even tried the super squishy air pressure to boot.

Thoughts and prayers to you OldBear...

mtbr member
    To Mrs. OldBear.

I donít think that get well soon is good enough.
    I wish that you would get well now.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I second that! ^^

mtbr member
    oldbear, I just went through the thread, its a great read for us older horses that are looking to drop some pounds and help with flexibility.
    First, nothing but good thoughts and prayers headed your way for you and your family. Hope your wife gets through her ordeal.
    I started riding a beach cruiser a few years ago to lose some weight. I pushed a heavy 3 speed around town and got the runners high I used to get as a runner. Back surgery stopped that in 2000. I found the bike and got at it again. Then purchased a Specialized Crosstrail and continued on. Then a Gravity SS 29er for off days. The last 3 years have been good; 1100 mile in 2012, 1200 in 2013 and over 1300 last year. I'm presently looking at Fat Bikes and I'm working on $ to get one I want.
    How about some pictures of you and your bike.
    Again good thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Glad you got back to bikes, Chief! They keep you young somehow.
    11 months post heart surgery myself, and can't get enough of the fat bike!

Keep it up and be well!

mtbr member
    Glad you got back to bikes, Chief! They keep you young somehow.
    11 months post heart surgery myself, and can't get enough of the fat bike!

Keep it up and be well!
    Yeah I agree, getting out puts a smile on yer face like nothing else can.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Fat bikes should be given an honorary degree in psycology!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    oldbear, I just went through the thread, its a great read for us older horses that are looking to drop some pounds and help with flexibility.
    First, nothing but good thoughts and prayers headed your way for you and your family. Hope your wife gets through her ordeal.
    I started riding a beach cruiser a few years ago to lose some weight. I pushed a heavy 3 speed around town and got the runners high I used to get as a runner. Back surgery stopped that in 2000. I found the bike and got at it again. Then purchased a Specialized Crosstrail and continued on. Then a Gravity SS 29er for off days. The last 3 years have been good; 1100 mile in 2012, 1200 in 2013 and over 1300 last year. I'm presently looking at Fat Bikes and I'm working on $ to get one I want.
    How about some pictures of you and your bike.
    Again good thoughts and prayers coming your way.
    CHIEF500:
    When I started out I had a Trek marlin SS. I bought my first fatty last may it was a walmart Mongoose Dolomite. I quickly found out just what a cheap heavy bike could do. So I wound up getting a Gravity Bullseye Monster, which has over 1200 miles onit now, followed by a Gravity deadeye Monster SS for myself and my handicapped son. I admire your attitude towards riding and how it also helped you. I struggle daily with Congestive heart Failure, Diabetes type 2, COPD and major depression. But my bike keeps me fit and balanced. Sure I struggle with some of it but I don't sweat it anymore. I hope you keep on riding and getting beter.
    Now on to my daily post, Sean and i rode around town today in ci=oats and sweat pants. We rode out to Tom's via that Acorn bike trail and with all it's little twists and turns we put in about 12 miles total. We rode our SS and had a blast. stopped for fountain sodas at a MFA conv. mart. It's my one vice i have left,. Yes it was diet soda, diet Dr. Pepper.

Until tomorrow..........PEACE

Oldbear (AKA Fred)

mtbr member
    Had to do a pavement ride today due to rain and wet conditions. Loved it. Hope Mrs. OldBear is doing okay. Glad to see everyone is getting out. I found some 6 hour races with a fat bike division. Might have to look into that. Should be fun.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Good read, thanks for sharing.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    That one was good Robert!

OldBear, You can be a Pepper Too!!!
    BTW: How is Mrs. OldBear today? Looking forward to good news, OldBear...

Glad to see all of you got out for a ride! Had a short ride tonite on the local trail. Just following Dr,s orders! (I really didn't need an excuse, but i'll take it)

Welcome to OldBear's thread, Chief!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Had a ride out in the Clifton area today under sunny skies! 79 degrees, Oh boy was that nice!
    Out in the rolling hills below the Bookcliffs there is a seemingly endless trail system. Dusty and dry out there, but so fun.

OldBear, Hope y'all are well, and hope to hear Mrs. OldBear is doing well, and mending quickly.

mtbr member
    That one was good Robert!

OldBear, You can be a Pepper Too!!!
    BTW: How is Mrs. OldBear today? Looking forward to good news, OldBear...

Glad to see all of you got out for a ride! Had a short ride tonite on the local trail. Just following Dr,s orders! (I really didn't need an excuse, but i'll take it)

Welcome to OldBear's thread, Chief!
    Bansheerun: Mrs. Oldbear is waiting to see which Bariatric Center she will be accepted at. She has to have an operating table that's bigger than we have locally. Her tumor is estimated at 75 pounds. But I feel it will all workout God willing.
    Today I went out to St. James and rode thew trail system there for two hours. It was nippy (32-45f)but the riding was good. We took Sean and his bike with and even rode a little on the dirt with us. He was wiped pout when he got home. I was too but I recovered nicely and helped Mrs> Oldbear< Sue make a home made pizza for dinner.
    I will be going on a trip up to St.Louis to ride some trails in Castlewood State Park. Tom says they are excellent.

Everyone stay safe,'

Until Tomorrow..........PEACE
    Oldbear....(AKA Fred)

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    We are pulling for her, OldBear! God will supervise and all will be good.

Glad you and Sean (YoungBear) had a good ride. That has to be special for both of you! Quality time is so important for a family.

Two bears go riding, three bears have supper, a great day for the Bear family!

mtbr member
    Everyone have a nice Sunday. I am doing a gravel grinder with a friend today. Fatty is still in the shop. It may be a warranty issue. Will know sometime this week. My shop men and women are great.

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast