Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839
Results 3,801 to 3,880 of 3880
    Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    All it takes is a fatbike and routine rides...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    It took a bit more than that, but I'm glad it's down to that now.
    22 miles this morning. I needed to meditate a bit.

I stopped at the Guadalupe River Park trail head in Alviso and did a few photos, after remembering that I actually had a camera with me. Just my phone but ...

My route:

Although this is the trail head at the northern tip, I rode up from the south:

A little bright, but a shot of the bike and the sign on Golding Street:

Historical info marker:

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G great post on your upward journey.

Life is too short to be thinking about the what if's, that was yesterday live for the now.

No matter how well you plan you cannot tell what tomorrow will bring.

This is the moment, celebrate it, enjoy it most importantly live it.

Looking after the only body we get is so important, prolong youth and see off old age for as long as possible.

The glass is always half full.

OZ.

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    G: Great post, inspiring! Love those pictures. Now THAT is a bike trail; with some outstanding scenery, to boot. Keep 'em coming! Wide open vista's......we have very little of that here in the East US.

Time to hit the road.....

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    G's not just on a ride but on an adventure! Looks to be a great time too!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Crappy cell phone pics, but thought I would post a few from today
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-img_1954.jpg  

Fat Biking and health-img_1953.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks y'all!
    I enjoyed that ride so much I went back and did it again yesterday!

Mileage is now pushing 700 on the odometer. I was examining my tires yesterday after the ride. The left-center of each tire shows the most wear, of course. To my eye, it looks like I have another 300-400 miles before they'll need replacement.

I also examined the sprocket cluster ... there is some substantial wear appearing there too. I know the shop measured that the chain has worn about to about half its service life too @ 600 miles. So I'll probably need a new chain and sprockets somewhere near the same time as well.

1000 miles on a set of bicycle consumables is not too bad, particularly given a heavy bike, electric assist, strong brakes, and a heavy (if slowly becoming less so) rider! Nothing to complain about.

Regards being on an adventure: yes, indeed! In my meditations, I have come to realize that I have achieved and accomplished every single one of the fantasy "I want to do this when I grow up" goals of my youth. Every day now is a new adventure, when I can do new things I never thought of before or do some of the things I used to do long ago but had stopped or forgotten for a long time. Whatever day Time ends will find me happy and fulfilled. That's not to say I'm sitting around waiting for it to happen, but I accept that the end will come: I will not have any regrets whatever. I will only miss the opportunity to do more.

onwards,
    G

ÖUntil that moment Vetch had watched him with an anxious dread, for he was not sure what had happened there in the dark land. He did not know if this was Ged in the boat with him, and his hand had been for hours ready to the anchor, to stave in the boat's planking and sink her there in midsea, rather than carry back to the harbors of Earthsea the evil thing that he feared might have taken Ged's look and form. Now when he saw his friend and heard him speak, his doubt vanished. And he began to see the truth, that Ged had neither lost nor won but, naming the shadow of his death with his own name, had made himself whole: a man: who, knowing his whole true self, cannot be used or possessed by any power other than himself, and whose life therefore is lived for life's sake and never in the service of ruin, or pain, or hatred, or the dark. In the Creation of Ea, which is the oldest song, it is said, "Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky." That song Vetch sang aloud now as he held the boat westward, going before the cold wind of the winter night that blew at their backs from the vastness of the Open Sea. Ö

from "A Wizard of Earthsea", by Ursula K. LeGuin

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I experimented with air pressure a bit yesterday. The trail system was fairly flat..more of a fast and flowing trail. Increased the air pressure to 14 in my 4.6 Ground Controls. Definitely carried more speed but was way too harsh on the roots and rocks. I think I am sticking with the 9-10 I usually run.

I did my birthday ride this morning on my road bike. 51 miles for 51 years. It's a fun tradition but one that is doomed to failure at some point!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Terry, it's always a lil experiment with a fatbike in terms of air pressure for a given ride. Thus a pump is with my bike for those times following Jeepin moments. One thing I can and will do without is tires made of tungsten. Too harsh and drives the scoliosis into a flareup.

G, the outlook of a ride being an adventure makes each and every ride so much more immersive. Makes ya wanna get out on the next ride right after completing the current ride. Glad you are groovin on the ride and seeing many results come your way.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I got a 4+ mile ride in today. Knee was tight at the start. It loosened up during the ride. I got over to the canal and started down. Along the bank was a blue herron, I've run into the frequently along this stretch. But today's was different. They usually fly across the canal to get away from me. Today this bird was down the bank near the water, when I got close it flew ahead of me over the canal and then would land not on the bank near the water like they usually do. This one landed right on the canal path where I was riding. It would wait for me to get close and then fly off ahead of me again. This thing landed on the path in front of me 3 times. I was amazed. They are big. It's head was above my handle bars. It finally flew over to the other side of the canal on a branch. It made me smile.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    I got a 4+ mile ride in today. Knee was tight at the start. It loosened up during the ride. I got over to the canal and started down. Along the bank was a blue herron, I've run into the frequently along this stretch. But today's was different. They usually fly across the canal to get away from me. Today this bird was down the bank near the water, when I got close it flew ahead of me over the canal and then would land not on the bank near the water like they usually do. This one landed right on the canal path where I was riding. It would wait for me to get close and then fly off ahead of me again. This thing landed on the path in front of me 3 times. I was amazed. They are big. It's head was above my handle bars. It finally flew over to the other side of the canal on a branch. It made me smile.
    How are you feeling afterwards? Starting to turn the corner?

As for me, I was traveling for work again, but this time in Germany. No cycling. My last day there I found a place to rent bikes, so next time I will make plans.

I was home this weekend and managed to ride both of my home trails. I set personal best times on both. I was surprised because I did not feel spectacular for either ride, but the clock doesn't lie. Not carting around the weight helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post

As for me, I was traveling for work again, but this time in Germany. No cycling. My last day there I found a place to rent bikes, so next time I will make plans.

I was home this weekend and managed to ride both of my home trails. I set personal best times on both. I was surprised because I did not feel spectacular for either ride, but the clock doesn't lie. Not carting around the weight helps.
    It seems so, but today I'm sore but the weather isn't helping at all. Nasty, cloudy, raining.
    I'm hoping.

FB&H rider
    Howdy all!
    Sorry for my absence - mostly just been busy!
    I've managed a few rides but it's been hectic.

I'll try to peruse the thread to see how everyone is doing if I have a chance but suffice to say I miss you all!

Last week we had a huge storm with large hail and ferocious wind. It did even more damage than I thought.

I went on a planned 15 mile ride with two buddies on Saturday, and as we headed up into the hills a number of hikers and bikers all were headed the other way; from what I could gather they were saying to go the other way (in German) until one kind fellow said in English: "No way! No way!" My buddies and I thought it would be a big tree across the trail or two, so we continued. We rounded the first deadfall thinking that would be it, but unfortunately, trees were down everywhere and we toiled for about 2 miles carrying our bikes more than riding. Eventually, we gave up and followed a dry creek bed down the mountain until we emerged back into civilization (where the trees were fewer and had been cleared). Still a fun day!

Fat Biking and health-tree-down-06-aug-17.jpg

Andy 'pushing' the tree down

Fat Biking and health-blockage-06-aug-17.jpg

There IS a road/trail under there

Fat Biking and health-06-aug-17-cool-beer.jpg

Ah, civilization!

BIKE RIDE NOT DRUNK (clip of me carrying my fatty along a downed tree)
    https://youtu.be/MIZqiVyV-ig
    Last edited by PhdPepper; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:01 AM.
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

FB&H rider

Shoot man, you should have pm'd me.... if you were anywhere near Frankfurt I would have taken you on a ride!

FB&H rider
    CHIEF!!! Great to see you're back on the bike! Glad the knee is recovering and you're back in the saddle. That made ME smile

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Hi everone!!!

As usual, I've been a bit remiss in posting.
    First, some news: next week, on Thursday this clan is going back to the Ozarks. Yup. Although the sunny south is nice,. We are just plain homesick. We wont be in Rolla, but up in the capitol. Jefferson City. So stay tuned......

Mike: the package hcame....thanks. keep those wonderful reports coming!!

Until later.
    Oldbear
    Sorry you had to head back, but sounds like the right thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi everyone, a surprise day off work for me on Friday after a stuff up from the rostering department. I could have worked anyway for twice the pay however when you get to our age and the weather is like this...
    Gorgeous pics as usual!

Mike, Terry, Ramarren, Banshee (and everyone), thanks for keeping the thread going!
    Have a great day everyone!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Hiya Pepper!! Glad to hear from you once again! I've added a full squish b+ to the collective as of late. It's been an interesting ride indeed.

Turns out, the Bear and family are staying put for now. That means living in the sauna.

OZ, thanks for sharing the pix of your adventures.

Chief, it only improves from here! Hang in there and do behaaaavvvve!

Tex, you're getting around!! If only taking a bike along was easier...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Terry nice ride, my first time on a fat bike was a Fatboy with my L.B.S demo day. I would have brought one however by the time I got round to it the only models left were the top end carbon ones. A little pricey for me at the time. Looks like Specialized DownUnder has dropped the fat bikes form the range. Strange as most Ozians live buy the coast and can ride a fat bike year round.

Yep playing around with the tyre pressures is the biggest part of Fatbiking.

Phone photos or not always nice to see were everyone rides.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Pepper great to see you getting some riding in, looks like those trails might be out of action for awhile.

How is the new bike going?

Last weekend was time poor down here as well, this coming one holds promise of two days on the bike, fingers crossed

OZ

FB&H rider
    Oz, loving the new bike!
    I haven't been back on the Trek since I got the Growler, but don't worry, my daughter and buddy have been taking poor Farley out from time to time.
    I definitely feel the nimble nature of the Growler compared to the Trek, and the 1x11 upgrade is fantastic, although rolling downhill I start to lose out to my skinny MTB buddies which if I was riding the 2x10 Trek I might be able to keep up more.
    Last week with carrying the bikes my friends were surprised at how like the Growler was - it's about 3-4 lbs lighter than the Trek. Otherwise, though, I still love em both!
    Planning my first ride from my hose all the way to work for this weekend; will be leaving my truck down at the bottom of the hill so I don't have to ride back up (about 1500 elevation higher, but about 2200 elevation change with the ups and downs; not ready for that yet!).

Dr Pepper: Great to see you back posting, sir! Heck of a downfall of trees there. For the past few days, been dealing with that, on a smaller scale, as over 4 inches of rain and high winds hit the hometown area last week, leaving a lot of folks in the Florence, NJ area with downed tree limbs all over town....

Prior to that, lotsa daily riding on asphalt, with one semi-semi-epic big 70 miler on the Full FatSix and a slew of the 36 milers to the boat marina down in Riverside.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks Oz....My plan was to buy an aluminum Beargrease, but the dealer had this leftover '15 model Fatboy in stock and had it priced at $1K. This was last fall '16, so the '17 models were starting to roll in. I felt it was a nice build for that price, so I went with it. Honestly, it was my first fatbike, so I had no idea what I wanted/needed anyway. I figured it was a relatively cheap way to jump in. I am not having any issues, but in retrospect, I would have preferred something with thru axles.

mtbr member

My absense

Welll it's like this, bear has been really under the weather. I have developed a .case of stinking chronic pink eye. It's the most miserable stuff. Oneeye clears and then the other goes wonky on me. It clears and the other is wonky. Backhand forth it goes. Keeps me off the bike because of the massiv doses of benadryl I'm taking. .
    I am sending wade a selfie maube he'll post it among with a picture or two of my fatties.
    Until later
    Oldbear.
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the positive responses. I'm trying to be good, I really am. It feels good when I'm out and on the bike and I wanna keep going but I have been good. Upped it a little this evening 4.52 and wanted a little more but came home. LOL
    Dr Pepper good seeing you back and thanks.
    Old Bear, heal up and get them right.
    Jesus here I am trying to get him to calm and I'm making myself crazy wanting to go.

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry66 View Post
    Thanks Oz....My plan was to buy an aluminum Beargrease, but the dealer had this leftover '15 model Fatboy in stock and had it priced at $1K. This was last fall '16, so the '17 models were starting to roll in. I felt it was a nice build for that price, so I went with it. Honestly, it was my first fatbike, so I had no idea what I wanted/needed anyway. I figured it was a relatively cheap way to jump in. I am not having any issues, but in retrospect, I would have preferred something with thru axles.
    Agreed, for the first one it's wise not to spend too much eh? My Trek was basically the same - last years' model at just over $1k, great bike and I'll keep using it, but was able to get the Growler with more features (including those thru axles) I wanted for a great price. Never forget your first though!

Welll it's like this, bear has been really under the weather. I have developed a .case of stinking chronic pink eye. It's the most miserable stuff. Oneeye clears and then the other goes wonky on me. It clears and the other is wonky. Backhand forth it goes. Keeps me off the bike because of the massiv doses of benadryl I'm taking. .
    I am sending wade a selfie maube he'll post it among with a picture or two of my fatties.
    Until later
    Oldbear.
    Sorry to hear it bear! Hang in there! I've had chronic eye issues but recently found an optometrist who was able to figure out one of my problems that others hadn't (I had poor ducts that lead to poor irrigation, that lead to rubbing/scratching that lead to pink eye etc); very frustrating! Much better now with some preventative habits.

Thanks for all the positive responses. I'm trying to be good, I really am. It feels good when I'm out and on the bike and I wanna keep going but I have been good. Upped it a little this evening 4.52 and wanted a little more but came home. LOL
    Dr Pepper good seeing you back and thanks.
    Old Bear, heal up and get them right.
    Jesus here I am trying to get him to calm and I'm making myself crazy wanting to go.
    Thanks Chief; as long as you are patient, you'll look back on it as a relatively brief period of staying off the bike/holding back, and you'll be glad you didn't screw things up :P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhdPepper View Post
    Shoot man, you should have pm'd me.... if you were anywhere near Frankfurt I would have taken you on a ride!
    I was! I flew into Frankfurt and drove to Edenkoben. My employer's European HQ is there. I'll keep you in mind if I go back for sure.

FB&H rider
    I was! I flew into Frankfurt and drove to Edenkoben. My employer's European HQ is there. I'll keep you in mind if I go back for sure.
    Definitely!
    Now that I have my truck (and two fatties btw) I have options of where I ride in the area, would be too easy to pick you up and find some trails!

mtbr member

Last Ride before school is back in session

I took my son with me on my work trip this week. I only had meetings in the morning, so he chilled out in the hotel and we rode in the afternoon. We tried Turkey Run park near Louisville. This is a big beautiful park with a great trail system and more trails in the works.
    Fat Biking and health-turkey-run.jpg

mtbr member
    I took my son with me on my work trip this week. I only had meetings in the morning, so he chilled out in the hotel and we rode in the afternoon. We tried Turkey Run park near Louisville. This is a big beautiful park with a great trail system and more trails in the works.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turkey Run.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	1151516
    Very nice, I'm sure he enjoyed it too.

I got in a ride today. I did my old normal start the season ride loop. 6 miles around town. One RR underpass, a lil canal a stop to schedule my Jeep to get inspected. Knee was sore to start (normal), it got easier and then it got tired. It felt pretty good, not to bad when I finished. I'll ice it again this evening. Hopefully not to bad to night (sleep) and tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
    Have a great weekend.

mtbr member
    Hi Everyone!!

Eyes are getting less sore but still weepy. Going to the doc on Monday to get some sort of antibiotics. Between rain showers managed a hour OF saddle time. I rode mostly pavementexcept for the three mile gravel road that runs past pur trailer pqrk. Had to do more minor adjustments on my pesky rear derailleur. Wouldn't shift past mid range. Front I ok, it's the rear that slips every so often...arrrrgh.

Glad to see everyone is riding and enjoying their summer. Chief: keep up the good work! Soon you'll be racking up those miles once again!!
    Mike: As usuql, excellent posts. Pepper: one of your pictures shows that tremendous old growth in germany. Keep posting, brudda pep.
    Wade: i messaged a couple pics. Maybe you could post them? Please?
    And where are you?
    Dr. Feelygood: I know you're iurking aboit. Doc, was the very first response to this thread. He got my writing juices flowing. Please doc, I need some input!!.
    Sue is getting better, she's lost over 100#. Now once again it's just a waiting game.
    Sean Rode upband down the driveway today Ryback. He loves him. But hasn't quite got the brakes figured out , so he uses his fett, ala flintstones.
    Until later
    Oldebear and
    PEACE---LUV---AND FATNESS

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Terry66;13279149]Crappy cell phone pics, but thought I would post a few from today[/
    Terry: kudos on that newbike!! Happy trails!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Bear hopefully thing clear up for you soon. Its annoying when these little things combine to reduce our riding time.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Jnr Joins the stable...

Hi everyone, well my last two days off through the week have been spent waiting for my wife's and sons cars to be serviced. I don't have one myself but seem to get left with the running around for them. I needed a plan.

Also when the wife and I grab a few days away together she likes to stay in nice Hotels that do not really cater for storing bikes. And I would not feel right to take off for half a day on a bike ride and leave her hanging around waiting.

So I was in one of my L.B.S recently and he had a solution, and after watching internet videos in the late night hours I was sold.

So this morning I went and picked this up.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00737.jpg

Not the Farley look closer inside the back wheel.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00738.jpg

From little things big things grow.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00742.jpg

Yes a nice little Brompton for throwing in the back of the car, carrying into a hotel room and sneaking in early morning rides around distant towns.

We are hoping to have an overseas trip next year and the little Brompton will be along for that trip too.

Spent the afternoon learn how to fold and unfold it and just about to head out for a spin around the block. I'am hoping its as much fun as it looks.

Hope you all manage to get a ride in this weekend.

OZ.

mtbr member
    I got in a ride today. I did my old normal start the season ride loop. 6 miles around town. One RR underpass, a lil canal a stop to schedule my Jeep to get inspected. Knee was sore to start (normal), it got easier and then it got tired. It felt pretty good, not to bad when I finished. I'll ice it again this evening. Hopefully not to bad to night (sleep) and tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
    Have a great weekend.
    The knee complained slightly last night. Lil tight and sore today. I'll get some walking in and try to loosen it up. Getting better, positive results.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Chief!! Sounds like you're on track. A total joint replacement is not a cakewalk... Highly invasive procedure, actually. Fortunately, it seems you are near the end of recovery and it will only improve from this point. Keep at it with your bike and enjoy the ride!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    OZ: Bromptons are fabulous little bikes! I've had mine since 2012, used it a bit in 2012-2013 but not since. Having Sumo now, I took it for a ride and realized that I was just too uncomfortable on it ... it's too small for me. So it's going on the market. But I really appreciate its design and quality anyway. Beautifully made and detailed...

This morning's ride (13.5 miles) ended up with Sumo's odometer showing 703.5 miles! Woo Hoo! Working beautifully all the way. AND, I saw another Sumo on the road this morning for the very first time! That one was completely stock (stock tires, seat, and grips). No owner nearby (it was parked and locked up by the grocery store) and I didn't have a pen or paper to leave a note, but it was nice to see another one on the road ... they seem few and far between around here.

G

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hello everyone,

Just got back on the saddle after taking 15 years out of riding (long story short - moved in with the wife and let myself go a little... well a lot). Getting back into it for mainly for the health benefits but also as a way to de-stress from work and for the fun!!!

Prior to purchasing my bike i tried the various types out there (hardtail, full suspension, road bikes etc.) but none felt as comfortable or as fun as a fat bike! I think my bigger frame feels more secure on something a little chunky as opposed to slim wheels

Now as i'm just getting into it i didn't want to spend a lot so i picked up a Calibre Dune (it seems like there are a lot of members from the US so i'm unsure if this bike is available in your neck of the woods). Price wise the bike cost £599.00. Granted it is one of the cheaper models on the market however it has great reviews and can be easily upgraded and after taking it on a few rides i absolutely love the thing! My only concern with it so far is the breaks - they could do with upgrading at some point however other than that i'm a happy chap.

Luckily where i live i have a lot on my doorstep with several reservoirs and lots of countryside so an ideal environment so I'm hoping with the choice i have out there and my determination i'll be healthier in no time.

Both yesterday and Friday i did the same route. only 3 miles each time however it's a starting point. pictures to follow shortly

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Pictures...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G, yep having a good look at the Brompton today it's a very well engineered product. Had a quick spin on it yesterday and I am really surprised how well it rides. Apparently they hold their value so you should get a great price for yours.

Again life got in the way of my planned fat bike ride today, I only managed to get an hour in just before sunset on the trails at the end of my street on my FS bike. Still managed to put a smile on my face.

I have seen a few fat bikes getting around town, always when I am working, so I cannot chase them down. Would be great to find a couple to ride with.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi and welcome Tomo, seems like you have brought yourself a Landrover

Those trails look like fun, and as your fitness increases you will find the fat bike will take you were ever you want to go.

Great to photos of your ride and trails, which part of the U.K. Are you riding?

Will look forward to your posts.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hi OZ. Thanks for the welcome mate 👍

Im around the Manchester area (place called Bolton). Definatley interested in meeting others closeby. I cant say ive seen anyone on a fatty around here before. They do draw some attention though dont they? Just last night k had a few funny looks and heard a few comments about the size of the wheels and how different they looked... all positive ofcourse.

You can count on many more posts from me too. Looking forward to joining in with the community 😉

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Tomo, welcome to the Bear Channel!! Good to see you got fAt. The 3 miles will soon enough be more and more. Take your time and progress. You have some great adventures coming your way. This is part of what makes riding fat so good. And the fact that a fatbike makes you into a giggly lil 10 year old all over again. Yes, they can be a conversation starter too. All in good fat fun...
    Doctor recommended...

Tomo: Nice looking bike and a lovely area to pedal in. Welcome aboard!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo51 View Post
    i picked up a Calibre Dune (it seems like there are a lot of members from the US so i'm unsure if this bike is available in your neck of the woods). Price wise the bike cost £599.00. Granted it is one of the cheaper models on the market however it has great reviews and can be easily upgraded and after taking it on a few rides i absolutely love the thing! My only concern with it so far is the breaks - they could do with upgrading at some point however other than that i'm a happy chap.

Luckily where i live i have a lot on my doorstep with several reservoirs and lots of countryside so an ideal environment so I'm hoping with the choice i have out there and my determination i'll be healthier in no time
    Welcome to the club Tomo, looks like you have a nice area to ride and picked a good bike to explore it. I have not seen that bike in the US.

I bought an inexpensive bike as well. It came with cheap mechanical brakes. Increasing the disc size from 160/160 to 203/180 was a great improvement without significant cost. It was easy to do myself. I was reluctant to add hydraulic brakes because I ride in very cold weather (0F/-17C) and it seems like the Manufacturer's don't recommend their fluids for lower temps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks for the welcomes @BansheeRune, @MikeTowpathand @iliketexmex. Really appreciated and great to be part of such a great group.

Where i live is a little hidden gem. Not many people would think that where i ride is in the town where i live from the pictures. The normal landscape is much more different (built up housing, long roads etc.) but literally 5 minutes away there is a place called the West Pennine Moors and it's a bit of a biking haven really.

In another month or so i will be upgrading the breaks. Until then i'm focusing on building up my fitness around the reservoir i've been riding around. In total it's 3 miles around. Mixed terrain (gravel, tarmac and forest floor) with flats and slopes. There are also advanced routes hidden within the forests... i'm a long way off trying one of those i think lol.

I've been getting around it in 19 minutes (give or take a couple of seconds) so by the end of August i want to be able to do two laps so 6 miles a ride and then i want to tag another reservoir into my ride that is right next to it.

So far i've been doing it on my own however a friend will be digging his bike out of the garage so i will soon have a riding buddy.

How often do you guys ride? do you have a set route or distance that you like to travel? any advice on a training plan etc?

mtbr member
    How often do you guys ride? do you have a set route or distance that you like to travel? any advice on a training plan etc?
    For me, I ride every chance I get. What that usually means is about 3-4 rides per week, about an hour each ride. How far I get depends largely on how challenging the trail is. I have been on this journey about 9 months. My speed and skills continue to improve, my general fitness and stamina still improve too. I do not really have a plan other than to just go ride and have fun. Maybe you could say my "plan" is to act like an 8 year old goofing around on a bike... That's what I feel like. As plans go, this has been the easiest to stick with. So far it still is giving me results.

Today I hit my local trail. It is six miles of minimal overall elevation change but fairly technical terrain (roots, rocks and skinnies, short downhills and climbs). There are two trail features in the last mile that I never attempted because I would be exhausted by the time I arrived and was not confident. This weekend I hit them both and was surprised at how easy they felt.
    There is a basic skinny log-over with a split at the end, and a very steep drop-in onto a bridge (bridge is not very narrow, but the price of missing it is pretty high). Not red bull rampage by any stretch, but definitely something this particular guy could not do when 20lbs heavier w/ much less lung capacity.
    Fat Biking and health-file3.jpgFat Biking and health-drop-.jpg
    But the biggest thing is today was a perfect summer day. I rode under a canopy of tall oak trees under a blue sky. There were boaters on the lake, and the water was calm and beautiful.
    Fat Biking and health-file.jpgFat Biking and health-file1.jpg

Tex: That looks like some short but steep elevation there on the trail.

FB&H rider

Welcome Tomo!
    Obviously, in this thread the answer is; whatever your body and schedule and interest allow!
    I work 12 hour days during the week, and do other things as well (for example it's intramural soccer season on post and I'm playing 2-3 times per week after work).
    The weekend is about the only time I usually have a chance to ride, although, more to follow on that.

Hi Everyone!!

Eyes are getting less sore but still weepy. Going to the doc on Monday to get some sort of antibiotics. Pepper: one of your pictures shows that tremendous old growth in germany. Keep posting, brudda pep. Until later
    Glad to hear they're getting better.
    I love the forests here, so relaxing! The trails go everywhere, so you can pretty much ride wherever/however much you like.

On to this weekend. Sat the plan was to ride down the hill from my home to base housing - about 20km/12mi. My idea was to find a route I might be able to ride to work on occasion, so if I found a route to housing, it's another 5 mi to work - 17mi each way over the hill and through the woods isn't too bad.

The ride itself was a blast, but we still found a significant area that hasn't been cleared yet and ended up carrying the bikes for a couple miles. Strange how our split was 3km in just about an hour! I also had no good way to carry my phone so I could hear/follow the trail instructions - will have to work on that, because I ended up on a much more serpentine route than planned.

Will have to try that again in a couple weeks to see how it goes. Ultimately, if things work out I am hoping to occasionally ride to work and then get to the point I can ride home as well - would make a for a very long, but very rewarding day!

Fat Biking and health-12-aug-17-blockage2.jpg
    Here was the 'end of the road' - up till that point it had been pretty clear. Still, we went through!

Fat Biking and health-12-aug-17-dev-truck.jpg
    So glad my truck made it across the pond. I opted for the crash pad system which is very quick and easy to put on and take off, and carried the bikes well. I can see that it would be easy to carry up to 5 bikes this way, which is in my opinion better than the much more expensive trailer hitch options.

Fat Biking and health-12-aug-17-ouchie.jpg

Found a hidden rock somewhere in there which put me OTB... not sure if I hit the rock or if it was the bike landing on me. Ouchie!
    Last edited by PhdPepper; 6 Days Ago at 09:47 PM.

FB&H rider
    Tomo,
    Give me the specs on that camera of yours. Are you liking it so far? I've been looking for a gopro type camera that does stills and video that doesn't break the bank (and that I can find here in Germany).

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hi Pepper... apologies for the delay in getting back to you (turning out to be a pretty hectic week with work. The mrs is also working long hours meaning im doing all of the school runs this week and sorting my little boy out at night... looks like i wont be goong anywhere near the bike until the weekend).

The specs of my camera are:
    http://www.campark.cn/a/products/Cub...tml#ad-image-0

I bought it off Amazons UK site for £30 and for that money its worth every penny. Its Wi-Fi too and theres an app for it. Does exactly what i need.

Yesterday i spoke to a friend at work who has been into MTB's for years anyway he has showed me some more maps and routes that can extend my usual ride so over the next few weeks im going to explore them and i cannot wait!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    For me, I ride every chance I get. What that usually means is about 3-4 rides per week, about an hour each ride. How far I get depends largely on how challenging the trail is. I have been on this journey about 9 months. My speed and skills continue to improve, my general fitness and stamina still improve too. I do not really have a plan other than to just go ride and have fun. Maybe you could say my "plan" is to act like an 8 year old goofing around on a bike... That's what I feel like. As plans go, this has been the easiest to stick with. So far it still is giving me results.

Today I hit my local trail. It is six miles of minimal overall elevation change but fairly technical terrain (roots, rocks and skinnies, short downhills and climbs). There are two trail features in the last mile that I never attempted because I would be exhausted by the time I arrived and was not confident. This weekend I hit them both and was surprised at how easy they felt.
    There is a basic skinny log-over with a split at the end, and a very steep drop-in onto a bridge (bridge is not very narrow, but the price of missing it is pretty high). Not red bull rampage by any stretch, but definitely something this particular guy could not do when 20lbs heavier w/ much less lung capacity.

Name:	file3.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	1151945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop in.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	1151946
    But the biggest thing is today was a perfect summer day. I rode under a canopy of tall oak trees under a blue sky. There were boaters on the lake, and the water was calm and beautiful.

Name:	file.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	234.3 KB 
ID:	1151947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	1151948
    Looks like a great trial there mate. Nice steep incline/decline too. Dont think im ready for that just yet hahahaha.

Im aiming for 4 rides per week but im really busy this week so i will have to settle with only weekend riding.

FB&H rider
    Hi Pepper... apologies for the delay in getting back to you (turning out to be a pretty hectic week with work. The mrs is also working long hours meaning im doing all of the school runs this week and sorting my little boy out at night... looks like i wont be goong anywhere near the bike until the weekend).

The specs of my camera are:
    Campark ACT74 black Action Cam Helmkamera Ultra HD 4K 12MP Wifi Wasserdicht Action Kamera Zeitraffer Slow-Motion mit 2 skku und Tragbares Gehäuse Zubehör Kits_SHENZHEN JINGMAI TRADE CO.,LITIMED

I bought it off Amazons UK site for £30 and for that money its worth every penny. Its Wi-Fi too and theres an app for it. Does exactly what i need.

Yesterday i spoke to a friend at work who has been into MTB's for years anyway he has showed me some more maps and routes that can extend my usual ride so over the next few weeks im going to explore them and i cannot wait!

Cool thanks! I have to order from amazon.de for electronics; pretty sure they'll have this one!

mtbr member
    Took me a little bit to recover from Friday's ride, plus the weather has been putting a damper on getting out. I got a ride in this evening, a little over 5 and felt good. It was warm and humid but there was a nice breeze. I hit a local lake and got to see 12 deer feeding and then running from me. Lots of them around.
    Icing the knee now after stretching. That's getting a little easier too.

mtbr member
    Took me a little bit to recover from Friday's ride, plus the weather has been putting a damper on getting out. I got a ride in this evening, a little over 5 and felt good. It was warm and humid but there was a nice breeze. I hit a local lake and got to see 12 deer feeding and then running from me. Lots of them around.
    Icing the knee now after stretching. That's getting a little easier too.
    That's good news chief. 5 miles is a good ride, so you're getting there.

FB&H rider
    That's good news chief. 5 miles is a good ride, so you're getting there.
    Indeed!
    Looking forward to the weekend; one more day!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Good to hear that, CHIEF! Keep on going!

It's been a very busy week, but I've managed to put in another 30 or so miles riding time. Just keep trucking along... Sumo is running perfectly and is so comfortable to ride whenever, wherever I want to go. Yesterday I had an errand to run down by Guadalupe River Park and didn't have much time, but said, "Heck, I'll take the bike" and ran 11.5 miles there and back, including doing the business I needed to, in less than 50 minutes. Love this bike!

Rides like that one, where I'm pushing it harder, after the fact often cause a bit of pain in the upper right hip muscles which are still a bit weak from the many years of my hip's disintegration and the total hip surgery. It's not a bad pain, and it passes with a little rest and massage work; it's just the muscles being a bit grouchy and complaining. Eventually, they'll get there.

Amuzing comment as I left the shop I had done business with yesterday, however. A guy in the parking lot talking on the phone was staring at my bike as I rolled and mounted, and when I passed him on the way out he said in a wry tone, "You need bigger tires!" I got a good chuckle out of that.

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    Big week this week for me. I rode singletrack almost every day after work, totaling about 40 miles . Indiana, Michigan then tonight I wrapped it up back home in Ohio. My home trail goes around a spur of a reservoir. The weather was perfect.

Fat Biking and health-file6.jpgFat Biking and health-file7.jpgFat Biking and health-file-1.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-alum-p1.jpgFat Biking and health-map.jpg

mtbr member
    I rode yesterday and today, 2 days in a row for the first time since before my knee surgery. I got off the 6 Fattie and on to my Crosstrail and did 4+ yesterday and 5 today. Knee is a little tight but not to bad so far. I changed over to the Crosstrail because I wanted to keep it on the road and have smaller gears. Worked well so far.
    I did have a senior moment though. When I pulled out the Crosstrail yesterday I changed the wheels from 29'ers to the 700 x 38c. As I rode I noticed the computer wasn't registering. The battery was low. I got a new battery, and added air to the tires. As I rode today the damn thing wasn't working again, battery was good. About 3 blocks from he house I realized the rims were new and didn't have the magnet for the computer to work. I had a good laugh at myself.
    Have a great weekend everyone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mex, thats a great trail to have at home, so nice to have somewhere to ride close by.

The days are getting longer down here and soon the after work ride will be back on the cards.

Loving the photos too.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thats promising news Chief, not the senior moment

Had my Crosscheck out yesterday and you forget how easy a road type bike gets along.

Your knee will enjoy the easy spinning as long as you can avoid the hills.

Take it easy,

OZ.

mtbr member
    Chief, that is something I would do. I started using an app on my phone.

OZ we are trading, our days are quickly getting shorter... Last winter I would work later at night and try to get a ride in during the day. I'm not sure if that will be possible this winter. I may need to invest in a serious light.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Took the fatty for a spin again this morning. It's the first time ive managed to go out this week (Both mine and my wifes work commitments are really busy at the moment)!

Left the house at 5am and was on my usual trail about 10 minutes later. I love it at that time of morning where the roads are clear and no one is around.

My usual trial is only 3 miles however i put more into the ride this morning and hit it faster than normal.

What a great wake up!!!

The bike is filthy though and needs a good clean. I also need to look at my chainset. For some reason moving the gear to the lower cog (apologies if this isnt the correct terminology... still getting used to the different parts etc.) Causes the chain to come off. Not what i was expecting seeing as though the bike is only a few weeks old. Not a major problem and if i cant resolve it i may go for a single chain wheel.

Im a little stiff now ive sat down but feel great. Why i havent done this for the past 15 years i do not know!

TexMex: Lovely shots there of a multi-colored sky.

Chief500: Excellent progress!

Dr Pepper: Nice shots & ride reports from the old country!

G: As usual, nice ride reports and shots of the west coast. Keep 'em coming!

Tomo: Nice ride reports and photos as well. That color really stands out in your field of operations. I do question the height of your seatpost, unless you have a very, very short pants inseam. But right now, if it's comfortable, go for it. But be careful of overstressing the knee joints with a saddle that low!

In between chain sawing operations to deal with some very large downed limbs after a recent severe storm, I've been getting a few rides in between, including a big canal towpath run from homebase some 30 plus miles north and back. Today was the standard homebase to Burlington City and back in a stiff west wind that has kicked out a weeks worth of hot and humid air.

3000 miles......

Fat Biking and health-100_2563.jpg

...from post #3047, 19 Feb 2017, where upon meeting an older couple on the Lock 1 Towpath riding their new Specialized Turbo Levo street Ebikes and that idea of electric assist crossed my mind......

...to post #3174, 7 Mar 2017 and the first Ride Report of the Haibike Full FatSix: a good bit of riding in all conditions. From a winter's cold that would not let go even into mid-spring to 5 inch monsoon rains and wondering if the water was coming down hard enough to short out the motor, the controller or the battery; all the way to the usual summer heat and humidty of a New Jersey summer.

A lot of well wishes by the good folks who make up this thread.

Our posts, our ride reports and our photos not only help show our enthusiasm for our bikes or our riding areas or the scenery we document; but they serve a greater good in helping to motivate not only ourselves, but our fellow Fatbiking & Health enthusiasts.

Here's to the next 3000!

Fat Biking and health-100_2517.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Cheers Mike 👍 regarding the height of my seat... its pretty much right for me. Im a short guy (5' 7). At that height i can put my feet on the floor however much higher and i cant 😂😂😂.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mike's bike being patriotic?? Sure looks that way!!

Tomo, Seat height really isn't designed to include reading the ground when you're on it. You want some leg extension for pedaling efficiency. Industry recommendation is 95%. As long as you can get off the seat and stand comfortably over your bike, you're good to go.
    Frankly, I ride at 80-85% extension for the ability to play as I ride. Now I am programmed for performance at that height and feel outta place if I raise it up to "roadie" height.

Wildcat, Sarge and Mayor report...

YES!! They are all on the job... The choice is not as difficult as I thought it would be as to whom is going out for a pedal!

The Mayor... I enjoy the ride and feel of the Mayor with his big fAt 4.8's as they are of a wonderful air volume that cannot be duplicated. The performance of the Mayor's frame geometry makes for a real treat. As y'all have prolly noted, the Mayor has a very nice fat approved fatpump for the times that a pair of squishy tires are better than pumped up tires to get through the loose stuff (Honest to God Jeepin) with no more effort than riding on tarmac with fully inflated tires.. Yup, sometimes Jeepin requires tires aired down for additional float and traction! After the Jeepin, there's that fatpump to prepare for the ride home with 10-12 stokes of the pump, away we go! Fun stuff. I love the ride of the fat 4.8's, they lead to some impressive adventures into places even a +bike would have difficulty with.

The Wildcat... He's a little instigator of shenanigans, indeed! The suspension is silky smooth in its operation and was actually very easy to setup. The playful super fun ride of a medium frame is amazingly good as it's extremely nimble handling is sort on. This has lead to some very fun rail trail rides with fat comfy Rocket Ron 3.0's for the more groomed trails and street rides.

Sarge... He's just as playful and fun as always. Hitting some of the same rail trails as the Cat and just a pleasure to ride and enjoy. Again, it's all about geometry when it comes to a good ride in comfort. New 4 pot brakes are a major improvement in long rides in the back country as they are so powerful that just a light touch of the lever does the job. Glad I opted to go overkill on brakes!

So there ya have it, folks! Three RSD's are better than one... :P
    Doctor recommended...

Wade: That was taken at Trenton, last Sunday morning, as I did a 70 mile ride from homebase up north on the canal towpaths. Never got around to doing a photo essay of the journey, though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tomo, gee that looks like a great place to ride, thanks for the images.

As for your chain dropping google up "park tools" not only do they make the industry standard bike tools they have great instructional videos on their web site. And if you are not all thumbs like me you should have your bike running smooth again. Me I have my L.B.S. on speed dial no:1

As for your seat height, riding it too high or low will cause you knee problems in the long run. Banshee's spot on, I find the easiest way to place my heal on the pedal, with the pedal at the bottom of its stroke. And have a slight bend in my leg, this way when you ride with the front of your foot on the pedal the seat height will be close to perfect.

Once you get it right you will find peddling much easier, also measure the distance from the centre of your cranks to the top of your seat so if you change bikes, ride a friends or a demo bike you know your seat height. Mine is 81cm on the road bikes and I find a little lower better on my mountain bikes.

Hope that makes sense.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mike 3000 miles in five months thats a great effort, by my calculations the FatSix has now paid for its self

Good riding...

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Banshee, nice to have a choice of bike, I have another on the way that will give me a different bike for everyday of the week

Hey I don't drink, smoke or gamble so everyone has a vice.

If, God forbid I had to cull the fleet the Fat Bike Farley would possibly be the last bike standing.

Its like your Children you should not have a favourite son but you just do...

just kidding.

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    It's a blessing having the multiple bikes to play with. Good healthy vice, it is...

Mike, that odometer reading is awesome! Lotsa great adventures have been had and many more to come!
    Doctor recommended...

Surly in Oz, Tomo & Wade: Many thanks!

FB&H rider

Fat biking and .... unhealth?

Great ride reports all!!!!

This weekend one of my riding buddies wanted to hit the Wiesbaden gravity trails (google youtube gravity trails Wiesbaden gopro); my first honest to god downhill. A fairly steep, technical ride for a beginner like me.... was a blast but.....
    Went OTB a couple times; on the second, I went into a muddy ditch, the front tire was probably a little too soft which bounced my back tire up and over. Landed on the helmet and snapped the derailleur hanger.
    We took off the chain, zip tied the derailler to the frame, and finished the course, but then it was a longish walk back to the truck and our day was over.
    In retrospect, we realized it may have been a blessing in disguise: I have a spare hanger and will be able to ride this weekend, but we would probably have gone again and maybe tried a few more jumps... Not a good idea for the day. I've already ordered a full face helmet for downhill days, and picked up knee/shin guards. May also pick up some elbow pads - any other suggestions?
    Still, was loads of fun and I'd love to ride some trails like that at least a few times a summer!
    Fat Biking and health-19-aug-j-truck.jpg
    Forgot to take any pics until we got back to the truck!

Fat Biking and health-19-aug-helmet-2.jpg
    helmet did it's job - got a little dinged... but my noggin seems okay after a headache for a day or two.

Fat Biking and health-12-aug-17-shoulder-scrape.jpg
    Yep, got a little road rash here there and everywhere

Fat Biking and health-19-aug-17-shin-scrape.jpg
    got the shin too!

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi Mike 3000 miles in five months thats a great effort, by my calculations the FatSix has now paid for its self

Good riding...

OZ.
    Indeed Mike congrats!
    Of course, every time I get back from a ride with a huge smile on my face I say to myself "fatbike purchase justified"
    Lately I also get to say "truck shipment to Germany justified" as well!

Dr Pep: Many thanks! Glad to hear you're okay. Suggestions? Hip Pads... https://mbaction.com/hip-pad-shootout/

We'll just have to call your subsection here FatBiking & Scar Tissue! Careful out there, my friend!

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    Dr Pep: Many thanks! Glad to hear you're okay. Suggestions? Hip Pads... https://mbaction.com/hip-pad-shootout/

We'll just have to call your subsection here FatBiking & Scar Tissue! Careful out there, my friend!
    Hip pads.. shoulder pads... maybe a bubble suit! ;P
    Thanks Mike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Pepper, wow that helmet did its job and took a bullet for you. Good to see you made it out in one piece. Sound like a good idea to walk away from that ride and reset, some pads are a great idea if you are going to push the pace.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Pepper cannot be too many trucks like that running around Germany, must be easy to spot in the carpark

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

An early finish at work leads to a taste of Summer...

Hi everyone an early finish at work today and a sparkling blue sky had me sneaking out for a ride through the local trails this afternoon. As the days get longer down here a quick hour on these trails can happen everyday.

Here's to summer down under, not so great for the rest of you

As always to get to the top of the hill there is a climb to be had, the Strava segment for this is call "straight up old gravelly" and thats an apt description. When I have my best legs I can clean it, but most days will see me pushing the last part.

Here is the view from halfway up, looking down hill.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09138.jpg

Getting to that point is bad enough, then it kicks up and around the corner.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09135.jpg

At least from there its mostly down hill for awhile. The trail twists and turns this is one of the few open sections.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09141.jpg

Drop down that and carry your sped as you rocket up the other side.

From here its right into the rain forrest, a great place stop and all you can hear are birds, the wind hardly finds its way in here.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09145.jpg

The colours are fantastic but on a bright sunny day like today Black and White can be fun.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09144.jpg

This one gives you an idea how the trees reach for the light.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09148.jpg

The trail has more turns and a few bomb holes to ride through before it spits you out on Green Point, and that it is.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09173.jpg

Looking south on a sparkling day.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09177.jpg

Back up the hill heading for home the trail finishes with a great view over Belmont Bay out to the Pacific Ocean and the beaches that I ride.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09179.jpg

Would be nice to have a house with a view like that but its a minute up the hill from home to enjoy it whenever we want.

Sadly no more early afternoon rides this week can only hope for great weather this weekend.

Great riding to all.

OZ.

Surly: Nice shots getting the feel for the elevations involved. Guess I'll say it again, it's just a pleasure viewing those photos of what I consider as heaven on earth. Never, ever do I get tired of them. I can imagine myself up and down these trails.

Another advocate of bar ends, as well. I love my Cane Creek bar ends and am disappointed they are no longer manufactured. Thing I have noted about bicycling these days, especially when I check in on the Bike Rumor site, is how things in this sport are such a here-today/gone-tomorrow fad. Bar ends are not. They are a practical tool when pedaling long distances where the name of the game is switching hand positions in order to avoid fatigue. And when trying to pull yourself up a long hill, they provide additional pulling leverage point missing on today's flat handlebars.

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839