Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,800 of 4150
    Fat Biking & Health Rider
    Surly in Oz: Many thanks! I'd have enjoyed talking to your late father in law, along the rail side, talkin' trains. I'd like to think that's what he's doing right now, in spirit, wherever a big freight is ready to tackle a heavy grade. That day at the railroad park was spent talking to some train fans as I. I've found that the people in this hobby are quite enthusiastic and engaging. Now, on the other hand, your experience with cyclists kind of mirrors my own on the towpaths and roadside shoulders here in NJ. Old Bear himself here told of of how one of those Strava-focused roadies smashed head on right into this bike.

Usually what I've noticed on the asphalt rides is a very brief raising of the left hand as they pass by, on the opposite side of the road. Don't want to disturb their aerodynamic profile, ya know.... What it is, is attitude. Bad attitudes. It's not just privy to your homeland, it goes on over here as well. You can see it manifested over in the Ebike forum on this very site. Bicyclists so into themselves and their own particular ride that they can'd see the forest for the trees and that we are all in this together, this two wheeled pedal power thing. Well, that's my short take on an interesting topic. That Cross Check looks nice, looks like it can pedal along at a fast clip.

Wade: Another great looking bike for your fine, fine collection. I can tell you that the dual suspension on the Full FatSix means as much to me in my riding as that electric drivetrain. Hope to see some ride reports with pictures once you get going with it.

G: You're putting some nice miles on the Odometer of the Sumo. Yep, you made a great investment in buying that bike, for health and for opening up bicycling-electric style as a real alternative to moving about by a car. I'm partial to the Endura padded underwear, in conjunction with their shorts, which are well made. I found being a size medium that the large works best. Seems most of the clothing I wear, be it the cycling shorts, gloves, shirts both long and short sleeved, are all sized the next size or 2 up, for true comfort as I've found most of this foreign made clothing to be cut too small.

Chief: Nice beach shot of Old Glory. Better still, positive recovery efforts underway!

In between a Saturday 20 miler (completely soaked again in rain) and yesterday's 20 miler, I squeezed in another run to the Cove Road railroad park. This time, not for the trains, but to document other sights along the way. Maybe later on, I'll put it together in another picture-post.

As always, I enjoy reading of others success stories and expeditions!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Thankya, OZ! The "Catillac" is proving to be quite the fun ride. I'll be gettin out for some more trail time today and more so, play time!
    The suspension is silky smooth and very enjoyable. As for suspension setup, 5 minutes and done.

That Cross Check is awesome! There are a few in my neighborhood. Surly still has the cult following going on.

Thankya, MIke!! And thankya for sharing the railway pix and such. Always good history in those pix.

Sad day in the fact that narcissism runs rampant throughout the world. Very unfortunate, indeed.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Knee was pretty sore last night. I iced and used the Tens today. I have to ride shorter routes and more often I think. I'll run this by the my PT person tomorrow at my last therapy session. Insurance only allows 20 visits per incident. I'll talk with my surgeon to see if he knows how to get a few more.
    Sore and stiff today. A lil walking. I tried to swing a golf club (son was buying a new set). Not a good idea at the time.
    I'll get there.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Chief, you wouldn't have overdone it, have ya? Keep it in the lower gears for now. Best to lay off for a couple days and let it settle down a lil.
    Golf club? What the hell is that? @.o
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I have been riding in Tennessee while visiting family near Nashville. I was running a fairly low pressure to help grip some of the rocky
    Singletracks. I was cruising down a flowy section and ran over a snake laying on the trail before I could evade it. The low pressure saved his bacon, he scurried away seemingly unhurt. I'm sure my 29er would have done him in. Glad he wasn't poisonous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Chief, you wouldn't have overdone it, have ya? Keep it in the lower gears for now. Best to lay off for a couple days and let it settle down a lil.
    Golf club? What the hell is that? @.o
    Yeah I agree. Slow and easy. I'm riding at 9 mph and just enjoying the time on the bike. I should have stopped with my wife. I went out for another mile +. I'll get there.
    Oh it woke me up quick. Turning around that back leg / knee. Holy crap.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Let your knee recover. When you get back out stay in the lower gears and no more antagonizing roadies til doc says you can...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

Confession time!!!

Let your knee recover. When you get back out stay in the lower gears and no more antagonizing roadies til doc says you can...

Ok so they say confession is good cor the soul....ok I guess I best get this out of the way....it's been far too long that I've said even boo here sooo here

BOO.

with that out of the way I'll get down to business...wade, brother whenever you have said that living in the south is like living in a sauna, you were soooo right. Walking to check the mail this morning was bad....bad....bad. the humidity is simply beastly. Coupled with no breeze and heat index of over 98.....SAUNA TIME... I haven't been on Blue for four frickin' days because even at six a.m. it's too humid.
    So now for the big reveal......we are going back to the Ozarks.....yup....I don't want to.have my heart vapor lock...which is a possibility with my pacemaker. ...ok, wade you can say it...."I told you so"....
    I'm feeling av little depressed about it but, oh well. Erma Bombeck put it best...the grass is always greener over the septic tank...

Until a bit later
    Oldbear.
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

mtbr member

Confession time!!!

Ok so they say confession is good cor the soul....ok I guess I best get this out of the way....it's been far too long that I've said even boo here sooo here

BOO.

with that out of the way I'll get down to business...wade, brother whenever you have said that living in the south is like living in a sauna, you were soooo right. Walking to check the mail this morning was bad....bad....bad. the humidity is simply beastly. Coupled with no breeze and heat index of over 98.....SAUNA TIME... I haven't been on Blue for four frickin' days because even at six a.m. it's too humid.
    So now for the big reveal......we are going back to the Ozarks.....yup....I don't want to.have my heart vapor lock...which is a possibility with my pacemaker. ...ok, wade you can say it...."I told you so"....
    I'm feeling av little depressed about it but, oh well. Erma Bombeck put it best...the grass is always greener over the septic tank...

Until a bit later
    Oldbear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Oldbear,

Sorry to hear that didn't work out. :-(

Have to say: it's not a mistake I'll ever make. I'm a cool weather person, known that for a long time. Humid heat would kill me. I'd rather move north to cooler climate if I can't afford to continue living here.

G

mtbr member
    Old Bear - maybe it's whet you need so you don't vapor lock the ticker. Plus you'll be able to get out more knowing the weather patterns.

To everyone else thanks for the encouragement. I need to back off and let it heal and I'll get there when I can.

Last PT today. I still can't get my leg straight I'm at -2°. Progress but I have to keep working at it. In the bending department I'm at 130° which is pretty good. We came up with a plan of 2 - 3 miles every other day at an easy pace. Get that going for a few weeks, see how the knee feels and then progress a half mile each week or so and see how it goes. It's a plan.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Chief, you're gonna need to run the lower gears that more or less allow for a freespin and don't worry bout speed. Just get going with as light a load on your knees as possible. Favoring the opposing knee can piss it off, so avoid it. As you progress, work on increasing cadence before you work on more load.
    Most important at the moment is to let your knee recover before you get back out there.

Keeping near to no load for a while should lend to better range of motion without aggravating the knee. It's gonna be an effort, yes.

Hang in there, Chief!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Knee and hip repairs simply take time. Give them the time to heal and you'll be happier.

Only a short jaunt yesterday, but I'm planning a 15-20 mile ride this afternoon..

G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    The Wildcat is on the prowl...

Finding the capabilities to be pure delight! A slightly smaller/shorter frame than Sarge but same geometry. Makes for a very nimble ride. Annnddd, dat squish!! Oh so plush!
    Yup, Catillac it is!! Enjoying the rides on the loco singletracks near home with this marvel of a bike. Nope, can't cheat, gotsta pedal this lean, mean, green mountain eater!!
    Although an E-Assist would be kewl to try out. Fuel economy, 7 miles per sammich. Not too shabby...
    Doctor recommended...

Recap of Sunday, 2 July 2017 Ride

The stats:
    Destination: Homebase to Cove Road, Railroad Park and back, with side stops in Riverside Marina, Riverton, Palmyra, 36th Street Station and back.

Haibike Full FatSix
    Distance: 57.5 miles
    Average Speed/Max Speed: 11.3/24.7
    Odometer: 2237 miles
    Battery Percentage Left: 23%
    Weather: Sunny. Hot. 90+ degrees

Fat Biking and health-100_2413.jpg
    About 2 plus miles in the ride, Front Street, Florence, NJ, looking downhill on a warm afternoon; sunny, little cloud coverage. And a note to the Old Bear: I should have squirted on the sunscreen!
    Fat Biking and health-100_2415.jpg
    Down at the bottom of a long hill atop the Delaware River, at the Florence Boat Ramp; Delaware River with a shot of the FatSix
    Fat Biking and health-100_2416.jpg
    Looking across the Delaware to Pennsylvania. This mountain is in fact, a mountain of garbage, maintained by Waste Management. They are due to close this year. The People of Florence have been plaqued by the awful odors coming from this dump for several decades now; taking them to court in recent years. Having said that, I can see a nice mountain biking trail system being opened here....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2417.jpg
    Summer weed growth prevented me from getting a better picture to explain what is going on here. This is at National Gypsum, Burlington Township, NJ. This pile of stuff is Gypsum rock being off loaded from a bulk carrier ship. This rock is then transformed into Wall Board you buy at your local Lowes or Home Depot....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2419.jpg
    River Road, about a half mile southbound from National Gypsum. Sunday afternoon, little traffic, nice shoulder. Good riding, even for a fat bike with tires pumped to 30 psi for asphalt riding.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2420.jpg
    Conrail Shared Assets Burlington Yard and New Jersey Transit Riverline tracks.... The railroad line that carried the River Line light rail cars at Cove Road make their way here as well, all the way north to Trenton, some 15 plus miles north of here. Ditto the freight side, which runs from Camden to here at this yard, and points north to Bordentown, NJ.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2421.jpg
    US Pipe foundry. 10 years ago, this was a viable factory making cast iron pipe. It has since closed shop and used as a staging ground for iron pipe made in the south. Progress and jobs, right?
    Fat Biking and health-100_2423.jpg
    Southbound and we are now on a bridge over the Assicunk Creek, looking out to the Delaware River backchannel behind Burlington Island. Curtin Marina. The public boat launch ramp is to the left of the creek, out of view....

Recap of Sunday, 2 July 2017 Ride...Part 2

Fat Biking and health-100_2427.jpg
    Along the Burlington City, NJ waterfront, a historical sign that speaks of Burlington Island
    Fat Biking and health-100_2429.jpg
    At the BC waterfront, looking west across the River to Bristol, PA. Home or thereabouts to one Chief 500, I believe. Sister city to Burlington; two of the oldest cities in the US of A.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2430.jpg
    At the BC waterfront, looking south of the Delaware to the Burlington Bristol Bridge. When that big bulk carrier at National Gypsum departs, this bridge will see the center span raised all the way up to clear the ship. The ship itself faces a voyage of over 120 river miles from here to get to the Atlantic Ocean at Cape Henlopen, Delaware. A pilot onboard the ship will guide it all the way down to the Cape, where he will depart the ship. This kind of pilot duty goes on 24/7 under any and all weather situations....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2432.jpg
    In keeping with the spirit of our national holiday, Old Glory. It's amazing to comprehend that Burlington and Bristol were founded some 100 plus years before the Revolution and 1776!
    Fat Biking and health-100_2441.jpg
    I'm not gonna tell you how many times I had to get this photo right, with the flag flying in a fresh breeze! "Don't Give Up The Ship" was a rallying cry uttered by a dying US Navy Captain James Lawrence; who lived for a time in Burlington. We owe a lot to these heroes....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2444.jpg
    City of Burlington flag, note the founding date. One time capital of what was then known as West Jersey. Some bitter irony in the flag there; a welcoming native Delaware indian sees the arrival of a ship from the new world and what was once their land became lost........
    Fat Biking and health-100_2445.jpg
    Burlington City and Old Saint Mary's Episcopal Church.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2447.jpg
    Old Saint Mary's; New Jersey's oldest church, right here.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2450.jpg
    Old Saint Mary's graveyard; early afternoon.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2451.jpg
    New Saint Mary's, on the same grounds. The old Delaware River towns up and down this route have beautiful church's like this in their towns. A real source of hometown pride for the faithful. These sure stand the test of time. I want to walk that cemetery grounds to get an idea of the dates on the tombstones held within.Fat Biking and health-100_2448.jpg

Recap of Sunday, 2 July 2017 Ride...Part 3

Fat Biking and health-100_2452.jpg
    Burlington City, NJ and the approach to the Burlington Bristol Bridge. Now you know when I do a ride report from Homebase to Burlington, NJ, this is my turnaround for home point; some near 10 miles into the ride with another 10 to go to get back home. But today, we are going long distance.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2453.jpg
    Southbound on River Road takes us to Beverly City, NJ and we are now at the waterfront, looking north on the river back to the now-distant Burlington Bristol Bridge....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2455.jpg
    Beverly City, NJ. I've made and reported this ride to Cove Road many a time on this thread over the past 2 years. But the electric assist Haibike takes what was once and all day, punishing ride into something pleasant and enjoyable.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2456.jpg
    Delanco, New Jersey at the foot of the Rancocas Creek swing bridge, River Road. Should a boat requiring clearance need passage through, the boater will contact the bridge keeper, who will open this bridge 90 degrees to allow passage.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2457.jpg
    Rancocas Creek bridge, looking out on the Rancocas Creek and towards where it meets the Delaware. The Rancocas goes into the fringes of Burlington County, miles from here, where it becomes a stream; perfect for canoers and kayakers. Named after an Indian tribe....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2458.jpg
    Delran, New Jersey, along the Rancocas Creek, heading towards the terminus with the Delaware River.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2459.jpg
    Oh yes, Riverside Marina. On my 35 mile runs, this is where my ride ends and heads back to home. This boat, one of my favorites. A Ranger Tugs 21EC; diesel powered, small draft, nice pilothouse with berthing, stove, refrigerator. Perfect little cruiser for the Delaware. And by the looks of it, a lot of room to store a couple of fat bikes onboard.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2461.jpg
    26 years of my life was in the Coast Guard. Cause I love boats and the water. To get paid for doing what I love; it gets no better. Looking towards the pilothouse of the 21EC. Yep, I can picture having this boat!
    Fat Biking and health-100_2463.jpg
    Here's a brand new 25 foot trawler tug by Ranger Tugs. One could easily live aboard this, if living smartly and efficiently, with lotsa discipline. Or so I daydreamed!
    Fat Biking and health-100_2464.jpg
    For the Blue Water, Sailor types; a brand new Beneteau. I like this, especially this color...
    Fat Biking and health-100_2466.jpg
    Hard to turn down this Beneteau, either. What a beautiful color she is! One could easily live aboard her....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2467.jpg
    Here's a brand new Cutwater 25, made by the same folks who make the Ranger Tugs. You can easily see the family resemblance. Very nice. Now you know why I made the Riverside Marina my turnaround point for this particular 35 mile run! I just love going through the yard, nice and slow, seeing what new boats arrived; daydreaming the What If's should I win the lottery. Of course, I have to play to win it, but that's another story.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2465.jpg
    Which brings me back to reality and one's station in this mortal life. No Ranger Tugs for me. This is more my speed and paygrade.....

Recap of Sunday, 2 July 2017 Ride...Part 4

Fat Biking and health-100_2470.jpg
    Southbound along River Road from Delran, NJ is a 4 lane roadway with little to no shoulder. So a lot of faith in your fellow Man must be placed that they see you, have their wits about them and have a courteous bone in them to stay clear of you. About 3-4 miles south of Delran we come to the old town of Riverton, NJ and going off the River Road, down to the river, brings us to this very beautiful structure, the Riverton Yacht Club. History here: Riverton Yacht Club Old history here, in the age of sail when rich magnates from Philadelphia came to this town in the heat of summer to enjoy the "cooling and refreshing breezes" off the Delaware.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2471.jpg
    On the Riverton Yacht Club grounds, looking southbound, Delaware River towards the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge, another lift span, owned by Burlington County Board of Freeholders; who also own and maintain the Burlington Bristol Bridge.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2472.jpg
    At Riverton Yacht Club, Riverton, New Jersey, under an old shade tree. A lovely, well kept, well moneyed town, Riverton. It's now quite warm out; not so humid, but hot all the same. Ahh, the urge to go to the bathroom what with my diuretics (keeping in line with the FatBiking & Health mantra!) and my luck has been answered with not one, but 3 Porta Potties next to the tree! Alas, no visitors allowed inside as all three were locked up!!
    Fat Biking and health-100_2473.jpg
    Final destination and turnaround point, Cove Road Railroad Park, Pennsauken, NJ, some 7 miles or so out from Riverton. I stopped off the nearby Wawa convenience store to get a roast beef and swiss hoagie, a 5 hour energy, 2 strawberry & blueberry containers, 3 bottles of Propel water and commenced to have them for lunch here.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2475.jpg
    No train action today; talking to a fellow in the park and he said 2 freights left earlier in the afternoon. Very unlikely anything will be coming in or going out for a good while. So after a good 30 minute rest-up, I headed yet south on River Road to my true final turnaround point and onto home: 36th Street Station.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2477.jpg
    NJT RiverLine 36th Street Station platform.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2479.jpg
    New Jersey Transit RiverLine Maintenance Facility. All the repairs to the light rail vehicles occur here, at the 36th street facility.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2478.jpg
    Looking southbound at 36th Street Station to the Conrail Shared Assets Pavonia Yard, Camden, NJ. This is where all freight traffic for the entire whole of south jersey, even what we saw up in Burlington Yard, comes first, here at Pavonia; where the cars are assigned to groups where they need to go throughout the southern portion of my homestate. Looks kinda dead right now, but I see a lone Norfolk Southern EMD engine down the road aways......
    Fat Biking and health-100_2480.jpg
    So after snapping that long distance shot; I don't know why, but I looked down at my rear tire only to see this! I don't know about you, but I figured I used up all of my odds on this one. How it pierced the tire at that angle, I'll never know, but Luck and Providence was on my side today. Time to head back home. And with that, a little tail wind to assist me along the way.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2481.jpg
    River Road outside and south of Palmyra, NJ becomes a gritty, dirty, noisy, industrial setting that yields to working class homes and businesses. Nothing pretentious about this area at all. And in between the trucking and factorys on River Road is this little gem....the oldest surviving home in all of Camden County, NJ.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2482.jpg
    Tucked a half mile or so off River Road.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2483.jpg
    The years this home has seen, if it can only speak!
    Fat Biking and health-100_2484.jpg
    Back in Burlington, in the shadows of the Bristol Bridge, is a Prep School called St Mary's/Doane Academy. Some history here: https://www.doaneacademy.org/about/our-history As you can see, St Mary's Church was a big player in the history of Burlington, spiritual and educational.

After this stop, it was time to put the camera away for the final time on this trip. 10 miles to go to homebase and the end of a great bike run.

As I've shown with many threads here on this blog, the Fat Bike is not strictly for winter time snow operations. With determination, it also becomes a true Go-Anywhere-Anytime touring bike. The Fat Tires have a way of removing the poor quality roads from under your pedals that no skinny tire bike could ever absorb. But the Yamaha electric assist on this fat bike opens up a new way of bicycle riding and touring in and onto itself. Never before have I arrived at my destination or completed a long ride such as this one, feeling like I just pedaled just up the road on a conventional bike. Dual suspension itself is another marvel of engineering that can't be discounted when traveling long distance.

I've got some more riding destinations up my sleeve for the coming weeks and months. Some ideas on making the Full FatSix more Tour-worthy as well, as time and money saved allows. I'm feeling great both health and mental, spirtual-wise, thanks to this infernal contraption electric "moped". I'm looking forward to riding and posting up my next ride, as I hope you, the reader are looking forward to reading it.

Thanks for coming along with me!

Mike

mtbr member
    Great report as usual Mike.

Name:  100_2416.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  28.4 KB
    I think that would be a great idea and use of the land. It presently sits along a lake complex that the company owns and people can buy memberships to for fishing and camping. I ride the area and haven't been stopped yet. Nice, quiet and lots of nature.

Fat Biking and health-100_2429.jpg
    That is my home town and I just rode the area yesterday for a short ride. A new boat docking system has just been installed and opened. You can see it in the picture. I'm going to post this in out Raising the Bar on FB.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi make great report as usual, looks like summer is in full gear. Nice time of year to run along a river.

I will have either of the two Ranger Tugs, place an order for me I'am good for the money

Followed along on your ride through Goggle Maps and looking around your neck of the woods Brendan T. Byrne State Forest looks like it has some Fat Bike friendly trails, do you ever head out that way? Long Beach Island looks fun too.

Seeing as Chief is lurking around your patch a duel ride report might be on the cards one day.

Thanks again I enjoyed the tour.

OZ.

Chief: Many thanks! The old Penn Warner club by Pennsbury Manor. Before this fatbiking stuff, I spent quite a number of days kayaking the Delaware, either going down the PA side at Fairless/Warner Sand Cove and then along Pennsbury, etc on my way down to my turnaround point around Burlington Island. It really would be a shame to see that "mountain" not used for recreational purposes! I have to jump on the Bristol Bridge and take a look at that dock arrangement now at Bristol. From the long range perspective, that seems like quite a complex in place now.

Surly in Oz: Thanks! Yep, hopefully Chief and I will get together for some runs as he heals up. I think of all that populate this thread, he and I are the only ones really within biking/hailing reach of the other. Brendan Byrne Forest: Eventually I have plans of checking that forest out; it is relatively close, within battery range getting from homebase to there and back. I've an Old Man Mountain front rack that I've now got all of my fittings powdercoated and new stainless nuts and bolts ready to go on her; replacing the junk cadmium plated OMM hardware. That will allow me to use a front bag system to carry overnight camping gear down Wharton Forest, which I've documented here in an older ride post in pictures. Honestly, not too much interest in doing Long Beach Island, but there may be a ride report in pictures upcoming to that area, if plans fall into place....

Something I've of mind is a beach run after the summer and early fall beach season is over, commencing at Roosevelt Inlet in Lewes, Delaware, round Cape Henlopen, down to Indian River Inlet and back to Roosevelt. But that again, will be later in the year.....

Appreciate you liking the journey I documented. Yep, those Ranger Tugs are sweet. They have a nice website featuring all of their boats and a neat forum on the Net called Tug Nuts.

Mike

mtbr member
    Hi everone!!!

As usual, I've been a bit remiss in posting.
    First, some news: next week, on Thursday this clan is going back to the Ozarks. Yup. Although the sunny south is nice,. We are just plain homesick. We wont be in Rolla, but up in the capitol. Jefferson City. So stay tuned......

Mike: the package hcame....thanks. keep those wonderful reports coming!!

Until later.
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Hi everone!!!

First, some news: next week, on Thursday this clan is going back to the Ozarks. Yup. Although the sunny south is nice,. We are just plain homesick. We wont be in Rolla, but up in the capitol. Jefferson City. So stay tuned......

Until later.
    Oldbear
    Well, no matter what the drawbacks, home is always home. If weather and amenities were the only consideration everyone would live somewhere else. Family, friends and familiarity are all big considerations. I'm still in Ohio but I love Tennessee and the Carolinas. Moving there would be a tough decision.

mtbr member
    Once I'm back and can pile on some mileage we will definitely hook up. Canal, River Road, the Pines. I'm waiting and looking forward to a ride with Mike.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Hi everone!!!

First, some news: next week, on Thursday this clan is going back to the Ozarks. Yup. Although the sauna south is nice,. We are just plain heatsick. We wont be in Rolla, but up in the capitol. Jefferson City. So stay tuned......

Until later.
    Oldbear
    There, fixed it for ya! XD

There's nuttin like soakin in your own brine... @.o
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    More nice pix from rides. Sigh. Once I'm riding, I just can't seem to stop to make photographs. Such it is...

I've been riding most every day. Sumo's odometer will turn over 500 miles today. It was 97°F in the shade on Thursday, but I rode 13 miles anyway. Loved it, took a long shower when I returned home. My weight is now down 26 lbs since I started this journey. A good start...

onwards!
    G

Good to hear, Old Bear. You're welcome, enjoy!

Friday's Recon Report......

Was supposed to be a run up the old Camden and Amboy railroad abandoned trackage from Bordentown, NJ............The last major business, Ocean Spray Cranberries, moved out of Bordentown, 2 years ago and to this day, a new owner has not been located...........The more time that goes by, the less likely I fear a new business won't be moving in, in this, the highest taxed state in the country. One that is bad for business, unless the state is not blessing them with big tax breaks that are picked up by us homeowners/taxpayers................

Made my way up the line from the NJT Riverline Bordentown Station, about a mile or so, crossing above route 206, coming upon the old Agway grain silos........The rail spur for this facility branches off the main line to the right, so I had to dismount the bike (I was riding in the center of the railroad gage)........suddenly, my right thumb was on FIRE. Then, my left and right feet were on FIRE..........I didn't know it, but I had stepped onto or over a yellow jacket nest around one of the railroad ties. Figured I got stung 5 or 6 times, with multiple shots on the right thumb, left and right legs just above the ankles. The bastids were on my sneakers and socks and I had to do everything to keep the bike upright and get the hell out of there. Once away far enough, I was jumping about, smashing the bastids that were on my sneaks and socks to stop them from attacking me...........

That ride back (over 7 miles) was a bit of a painful one. Could not put a lot of pressure on the right side handlebar with the stung thumb. Over 12 hours later, it still hurts a bit while the ankles and legs are tingly.

I don't know how to tell you to avoid these things when the truth is, you don't even know they are there until you are right atop their nest. If you are allergic (I'm not, fortunately, but with each bee stinging episode, my recovery times grow longer and longer from the last), you really should consider carrying an Epipen AND a cell phone in case you need emergency help. The height of summer and these thing's venom is especially potent and they are right aggressive.

If it weren't such a pain in the butt riding back there, I'd go back and kill that nest at sundown with some brake cleaner. Those son's of bitches....!

Stay safe out there....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G thats a nice steady weight loss, best way to keep it off.

As for the photography side of things I'am finding it great to stop and take a few images along the ride. The FatBike, Mikes reports and the stories I have been watching and reading on the Bike Wanderer website have change the way I ride.

I want to take the FatBike to different places, time, speed and distance don't mater on the Fatty its a bike built for exploring. Its turning out to be a great way to ride.

Keep enjoying your rides and everything else will take care of itself.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mike, had to look up Yellow Jackets look like nasty little fellows. Hope the sting goes away soon.

The last Wasps that stung me paid the price the next morning you know where they live.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Saturday's adventure...

Hi everyone, another fine winters day down here and a night looking around Goggle Maps had a mud map ride planned out.

Only a short ride distance wise but a million miles from home.

A quick spin along the Fernleigh Track to the Redhead Head turn off started the adventure. A nice wall of a climb leads you to the cliffs over looking Redhead Beach.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08943.jpg

Not riding it today but its great to look at. Last weeks report was down over the headlands way to the south in this image.

Also at this time of year it makes a great vantage point to watch the Humpback Whales pass by as they migrate north for the winter. There were a few pods passing this morning a little out of my cameras range.

Todays ride was going North through the Awabakal nature reserve. Its a beautiful place and today was the first time I have been there. Thought about it for years, took a Fatbike to convince me to go. I knew that it was a walking track however whoever looks after the tracks seems to be on holidays, for the last few years.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08949.jpg

See that dark shadow thats the track! My handle bars where catching in the bushes and my shins were taking a beating. The only thing that told me this was the trail was fresh foot prints in the sandy soil.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08947.jpg

This was as wide as the trail got which was handy as a runner came past as I was taking in the view and anywhere else on the trial would have made passing difficult. I will have to come back when the wild flowers are in bloom as it will be spectacular.

The view as I emerged for the bush (thats the only word for it)

Fat Biking and health-dsc08951.jpg

I followed the trail towards the Sea where I knew it ended and hoped for a view towards Newcastle. The path soon reached its end.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08961.jpg

And the view was spectacular.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08952.jpg

The coast shines its way to the city of Newcastle in the distance.

That was a bonus as the plan was to ride to Redhead lagoon hidden high on the cliffs. Again a place that I knew of but never visited. Houses are close by but the place was spotless and a lot larger than I imaged.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08974.jpg

Lots of Paper Bark Trees around the edges.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08978.jpg

A few more views on a sparkling morning, that for some reason I enjoyed by myself.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08982.jpg

Fat Biking and health-dsc08986.jpg

Fat Biking and health-dsc08990.jpg

Back on the bike and I thought that the water was behind me, after a short climb I came across a second pool. Much smaller but glowing in the sunlight.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09006.jpg

I had a little road climb to the top of the hills and before I headed home I stopped in at water tower at Dudley hoping for a view towards Newcastle. Sadly the houses blocked the way but the old water tank held some appeal.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09021.jpg

They don't make them like that any more...

Fat Biking and health-dsc09023.jpg

Steam Punk I believe is the term

One of the older things around here, right next to the new.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09024.jpg

I found a trail that ran through the bush behind the Fernleigh Track and took me towards home. I came across two kids pushing their bikes and they mentioned that they needed a bike with tyres like mine.

I had not planned to ride sand today, but had to air the tyres right down as I came across this.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09027.jpg

So soft and a fair distance inland from the beach and it went on nearly the whole way back to the Bike track.

Another ride done and again the Fatbike managed to transport me to a different place. I arrived home happy, refreshed and for a few moments not a care in the world. Thats got to be good for my health.

OZ.

P.S. click on the images to see them at a larger size.
    Last edited by Surly in OZ; 07-09-2017 at 04:58 AM.

G: Great weight loss numbers since you've taken up riding the Sumo. Nice to see the miles pile up on the odometer as well. Really, really impressed with your weight loss there!

Surly In Oz: Just when I think you've run out of spectacular places to take us to, well....! The color of that blue sky is what gets me; how clear the air is. That sugar sand on the trail reminds me of the stuff back in Wharton State Forest, New Jersey Pine Barrens. No doubt, your Trek fatbike was the right machine to use on this trip. Your home country from this perspective, looks like heaven on earth.

Yellow Jackets: I planned on doing a short run today, but didn't feel up to it, the after effects of the stings and the Benadryl taken to help alleviate the pain meant there was very little sleep last night.

The thing about these nasties is that they build their nests in the ground. They are on constant guard and in instant attack-mode when they feel threatened. Anybody walking that line now until the first real freeze, is in for a very bad surprise. The good thing is, I doubt it's very much traveled these days. Appreciate the best wishes!

mtbr member
    Surly In Oz: You are in some beautiful spots, I always look forward to the picture tour. Do you need to worry about crocodiles by the water there?

Mike: The old churches are always such an integral part of the local history. It is always cool to see your travels, that bike is earning its keep for sure.

My ride today brought me back to the place that started it all for me, Alum Creek State Park. Ohio has had a lot of rain the last couple days, but the Phase II trail drains well and it was open within a day. Weather was perfect, the cold front brought clear blue skies, lower humidity and cooler temperatures Fat Biking and health-file.jpgFat Biking and health-file2.jpgFat Biking and health-file3.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Ugh, Yellow Jackets ... They're aggressive and nasty. I've only been stung once in my life and it was very unpleasant.

Anyways: Hot day today again, I took an early ride down to the park and had breakfast with the boiz as usual. I extended the ride coming home so I ran a full 16 miles plus. I did half of that with the power off, too. So I got home, took a hot shower, drank a lot of water, and took a nap. Ah, the joys of being retired and able to do what I want.

Didn't quite turn over 500 miles today, Sumo is at 495.6. Tomorrow ... I was pooped.

Have to tell you ... Sumo has tickled my old two-wheeler bug all over again. It's my most enjoyable life-long disease. So now I have the perfect human-electric powered two wheeler, and I really have to have a motorcycle again too. Time for another Ducati! One of these will shortly be parked in my garage:

Fat Biking and health-ducati-scrambler-full-throttle.jpg

Of course, it had to be a Scrambler.

Life is good. Onwards, ever onwards!

G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    Good to hear, Old Bear. You're welcome, enjoy!

Friday's Recon Report......

Was supposed to be a run up the old Camden and Amboy railroad abandoned trackage from Bordentown, NJ............The last major business, Ocean Spray Cranberries, moved out of Bordentown, 2 years ago and to this day, a new owner has not been located...........The more time that goes by, the less likely I fear a new business won't be moving in, in this, the highest taxed state in the country. One that is bad for business, unless the state is not blessing them with big tax breaks that are picked up by us homeowners/taxpayers................

Made my way up the line from the NJT Riverline Bordentown Station, about a mile or so, crossing above route 206, coming upon the old Agway grain silos........The rail spur for this facility branches off the main line to the right, so I had to dismount the bike (I was riding in the center of the railroad gage)........suddenly, my right thumb was on FIRE. Then, my left and right feet were on FIRE..........I didn't know it, but I had stepped onto or over a yellow jacket nest around one of the railroad ties. Figured I got stung 5 or 6 times, with multiple shots on the right thumb, left and right legs just above the ankles. The bastids were on my sneakers and socks and I had to do everything to keep the bike upright and get the hell out of there. Once away far enough, I was jumping about, smashing the bastids that were on my sneaks and socks to stop them from attacking me...........

That ride back (over 7 miles) was a bit of a painful one. Could not put a lot of pressure on the right side handlebar with the stung thumb. Over 12 hours later, it still hurts a bit while the ankles and legs are tingly.

I don't know how to tell you to avoid these things when the truth is, you don't even know they are there until you are right atop their nest. If you are allergic (I'm not, fortunately, but with each bee stinging episode, my recovery times grow longer and longer from the last), you really should consider carrying an Epipen AND a cell phone in case you need emergency help. The height of summer and these thing's venom is especially potent and they are right aggressive.

If it weren't such a pain in the butt riding back there, I'd go back and kill that nest at sundown with some brake cleaner. Those son's of bitches....!

Stay safe out there....
    Brakleen has so many uses! I love the stuff. Haven't had a bout with those lil bastards in years, but should they piss me off, I always have a few cans around the house for a return offensive.

OZ, good times, my friend. Lookin at those pix is always a good way to see the experiences of your adventures.
    Doctor recommended...

Wade: Yep, good ole brake cleaner kills 'em dead. Environmentally smart, too, with no residue left over as it evaporates quick. And that tiny straw wand can direct a good stream from a safe distance! I'll tell you Wade, it never, ever occured to me to beware of these things along a railroad line. I guess being semi abandoned over the past several years was a big factor in the queen feeling safe enough to make a home near or in the tie....

G: That's a sharp looking motorcycle there. Here's hoping that the extreme heat to the south and east of you is not having great effect on you to the north....

Tex: Many thanks! Lovely pictures there; and again, I am surprised by the lack of overgrown vegetation compared to what I'm seeing here on my rides in NJ! Gotta love those days of little to none humidity, clear blue skys and a nice place to ride in. That creek looks like it's got some great fishing potential in her.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Mike, yes this time of year with the high pressure sitting over us the sky is clear and the deepest blue. When I use to photograph weddings I always hoped to have a few clouds floating around to break it up a little.

Still some nice places to show you yet, we are spoiled to have year round riding down here.

Thanks again.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tex, no need to worry about crocodiles as the Great White Sharks have taken care of them

No mate the Croc's are along way north of here. The Sharks on the other hand are here and the Shark alarm was sounded at Redhead Beach on Saturday afternoon.

Your trails look great along the river, always nice to ride along side water.

Thanks again.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Banshee, I give the place names because as I mentioned to Mike I like to google map the place names of where you guy's ride. Always fun to look at places I might never have the chance to travel to.

Thanks again.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    G: That's a sharp looking motorcycle there. Here's hoping that the extreme heat to the south and east of you is not having great effect on you to the north....
    Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it. Yesterday I went out and bought a good jacket and gloves. Have to pick up a helmet, boots, etc, yet before I can test ride it. It's a total reboot: When I sold all my motorcycles in 2004, my riding gear was already fifteen years old and totally worn out, so I just tossed it. I figured if I ever got back into it, I'd need a complete refresh anyway. Time comes to pay the piper.

It's been hot! But survivable. I feel sorry for those who have to work outdoors in the central valley a bit east of me ...

ever onwards!
    G

Old Man Mountain Fat Sherpa Front Rack for Haibike Full FatSix

After reading up on this bikepacking gear, I came to the conclusion I like my traditional bags and racks. So, in order to make this bike semi-tour ready, I needed a rack or two. The only front rack on the market to fit the Rock Shox Bluto is made by Old Man Mountain. Since the Full FatSix is a dual suspension bike, I'm right now of the mind in keeping the Portland Design Works Bindle Rack (Link: https://ridepdw.com/collections/carg...ts/bindle-rack) and the Revelate Terrapin 14 liter dry bag specifically made for the PDW Bindle Rack. I really like it. Current plans are to go with the trusty Ortlieb Handlebar Bag, sized Large in my typical Funeral Black, to go with some Ortlieb front bags. I figure that should be enough storage capacity to do some overnight camping later on in the season...once I get all of the new bags in place. So, what's a thread without pictures? Here goes....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2472.jpg
    Old and trusty configuration, with the PDQ Bindle Rack and Revelate Terrapin Dry Bag
    Fat Biking and health-100_2492.jpg
    Old Man Mountain Fat Sherpa for RockShox Bluto
    Fat Biking and health-100_2491.jpg
    A nifty set up, the OMM Fat Sherpa for Bluto....and quite costly at 254 dollars. But quite worth it and the only game in town for the front suspension fork. The Robert Axle Project Through-Axle is a nice bit of engineering, as is the entire rack and support pieces. But I did things a step further, by taking the plain aluminum rack supports and stays and having them professionally powder coated a semi-gloss/matte black. Turnaround time was 2 days and the cost was 20 bucks. Very nice! In addition, I did not care for the plain steel/cadmium plated aircraft clamps, nylock nuts and 6mm screws, so a look on ebay found comparable hardware in stainless steel. In addition, I have 6mm black plastic flat washers backing the stainless flat washers, eliminating any possibility of scratching the powder coat behind the nuts and screw heads. I also purchased a Hope quick release for the expressed purpose of switching out the plain aluminum OMM quick release for the powdercoated black Hope quick release. A drop of LocTite should lock in the threads at the quick release just fine. I also used the threaded quick release washers from the Hope skewer to eliminate the OMM cad plated pieces.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2493.jpg
    Haibike Full FatSix with OMM Fat Sherpa front rack in place. The powder coated OMM brackets and stays help eliminate that plain unfinished look that I see with OMM products, making it look like an integrated, factory OEM look. I really like the look of this thing.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2495.jpg
    The rack has a nice center section that looks to be able to block that rain spray coming off the front tire at speed. Plus it features a hole in the front, ideal for a future front headlight addition.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2497.jpg
    Close up look of the OMM Fat Sherpa for Rock Shox Bluto. Lotsa gear can go on this rack, figure a tent & sleeping bag on top of the rack and the usual food, stove gear, clothing gear inside whatever future bags I decide to go with. The matte black rack brackets and stays looks much better than the OMM plain aluminum bits, which to me, looks like an after thought.

After completing a 35 mile ride from Homebase to Riverside Marina and back this afternoon, ride impressions: There is a bit of added weight that is noticeable right off the bat, but it quickly went away during the ride. The front end from the saddle, looking forward on the road, looks much more substantial with the rack in place. Almost like a small bore enduro motorcycle, if you will. Utility capability for the bike has been increased with the rack in place.

NOTE: Click on picture to enlarge photo to full size

mtbr member
    I got in a easy 3 miles this morning with my wife. Knee was cranky all day. Ice after the ride and ice and Tens this evening. Easy and slow is the rule.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I managed time for a short five-mile ride yesterday. Temperatures had dropped into a reasonable range (85°F) and the road traffic was very light. A very pleasant ride.

I'm just shy of 500 miles on the Sumo now: today we will go over that on my trip to and from Cupertino.

G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Back from today's ride: 17 miles to and from Cupertino. Lunch party for my friend who just finished her 15th year at Apple. Physical Therapist visit for 45 minutes ... All good! Sumo now reads 514 miles on the odometer... Woo hoo! Good ride, time for a shower.

G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    This morning: a 13 mile ride to and from breakfast with my friend Thomas at Guadalupe River Park. Riding has become such an enormous part of my life again now, I enjoy every minute of it.

G

mtbr member
    Gooooood afternoon one and all.
    Plans are moving forward for our move. We have an apartment lined up and just saving money to go.
    Got out this morning and rode the creek. There was only a couple BMXer types out there that were just trying some tricks. They laughed at the size of Blue's tires and said ' hey old man, bet we can keep up wit you on the trail.' So I thought to myself, 'bring it on'. They tried their best but after a while I dropped them and rode out to the rr bad and turned around. Coming back I came across those BMXer's. They flatted after trying to cross a sand bar. They had to walk their bikes out to their car...Lol

Until later
    Oldbear

P. S. It's still a sauna here here I ride early to avoid vapor lick...lol

mtbr member
    There, fixed it for ya! XD

There's nuttin like soakin in your own brine... @.o
    Hey you!!!! Yah you!-!! Leave my words be!!!! It's not HEATSICK.....IT'S HOMESICK!!!!.
    Afterall you shouldn't mess with an English major's prose. Lol lol

Get fatter and fatter....wade recommended....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mike, Fatsix is looking great ready for the road, where ever it might lead.

The new Ortlieb Gravel-Pack bag looks like a good match for the front rack. Not too big and two hooks on the lower mount to keep it attached to the bike.

Looking forward to some ride reports.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    I got in a easy 3 miles this morning with my wife. Knee was cranky all day. Ice after the ride and ice and Tens this evening. Easy and slow is the rule.
    Hi Chief thats the way to take it, go too hard and set yourself back a few steps. Distance does not matter enjoyment does.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G, all those little miles add up quick and the bike becomes second nature.

I have been riding the bike to work for seven years now and it feels so wrong to even thing about taking a car. When my eldest son got his licence I gave him my car and have not missed it for one minute. Granted I live in a bike friendly place, however once you get use to it its hard to go back.

Although that new bike coming your way looks might nice

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Bear good to keep moving forward in life , sure the move will work out for the best. And leave those poor kids alone

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, has anyone got some nice ride reports to share, photos too?

As with most of my July holidays the last few years I have managed to come down with the Flu.

This week its MAN FLU keeping me of the bike, still better than last year when I manage to get Pneumonia.

Still managed to finish reading the great stories and inspiration on the Bike Wanderer web site, and he is still out there riding.

So can anyone help out with a story or two.

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Hey you!!!! Yah you!-!! Leave my words be!!!! It's not HEATSICK.....IT'S HOMESICK!!!!.
    Afterall you shouldn't mess with an English minor's prose. Lol lol

Get fatter and fatter....wade recommended....
    With you spelling errors?? @.o

There, I feexed it for ya...Again!!

You sure it's not STEAMSICK??
    Doctor recommended...

Surly In OZ: Sorry to hear you are not feeling well and hope you get back on your feet, pedaling again, soon. No riding yesterday; hedge trimming in summer heat. Previous to that fun stuff, we had the typical 20 mile runs in the local area. No pictures and nothing of note to report. Summer heat and high humidity is due again today, with a high of 97F.

I have an Ortlieb handlebar bag on order, a nice, large Ultimate6 granite/black colored bag. I saw those Ortlieb bikepacking pannier bags and they look very nice. But keeping with the color coordination, there are plenty of bags in the Ortlieb collection to consider. I plan on fitting one of my hazel/black ortlieb commuter bags on the front rack to see how it fits and looks. They feature 2100 cubic inch carrying capacity, so they can handle a good bit of overnight and camping gear. I like the clean look of the commuter bags. Ortlieb makes some very nice gear.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mike, I recently discovered a small shop that makes custom bags. Seems the guy is onto something with the ability to size things up with a consult and offer a variety of colors as well. When I spoke with the chap, he showed a project that was under way with the client's bike present for fitting and tailoring.
    The bags in progress were being adjusted to fit like a glove before finish sewing. Kewl stuff!
    Doctor recommended...

Hi Wade! Are you going to incorporate this small craftsman's bags on any of your RSD bikes? Any progress on your trailer project?

In light of the FatSix rear suspension, a rear rack is kind of out, though I believe Old Man Mountain has a similar fat sherpa rear set up for rear suspension applications; but at this point not sure if Robert Axle has something. I've simply not dug too far on the OMM site to confirm or deny this. I like front and rear racks incorporating touring bags; but if it came down to it, a rear trailer would have to do. I understand there is a picture floating on this site of a new fat tire Bob trailer. Poster Coast Kid has shown with his own home built trailer that a well designed one can carry very heavy weight.

Right now it's gray, very murky-humid like weather out there coming off 3 days of very high summer heat and humidity. Tomorrow promises to clear up. No riding today....

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi G, all those little miles add up quick and the bike becomes second nature.

I have been riding the bike to work for seven years now and it feels so wrong to even thing about taking a car. When my eldest son got his licence I gave him my car and have not missed it for one minute. Granted I live in a bike friendly place, however once you get use to it its hard to go back.

Although that new bike coming your way looks might nice

OZ.
    Thanks!

Spent a week getting the motorcycle riding gear together.
    Did my test ride on the new bike yesterday. LOVED IT!
    Bought it on the spot. It should be ready to pick up this afternoon.
    I feel like a kid at Christmas time.

Taking a*Sumo ride at lunchtime today. Not stopping with the bicycle...

onwards, always onwards!
    G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    G's tawkin bout really cheatin!!

Be safe out there, my friend
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Tough week for me. Monday for work I had a project walk down. Over good biking terrain I drug my ass for 2 miles. Me knee let me know it was a bit too much. I was sore until Wednesday, ice and anti-inflammatories, plus the heat didn't help limiting riding time. Wednesday evening it felt a lil better and Thursday I was back at it for another walk down, a lot less walking but very warm. Rain all day Friday limited any riding for me. I have a distant family retirement party this evening, so some yard work today or tomorrow. A walk today to get everything loose and tomorrow back to every 2 - 3 days and a few easy miles. Appointment with the surgeon on Monday morning. I hope everyone has a great weekend and gets out for a ride.

Long Distance Ride Report for Sunday, 16 July 2017

Destination: Homebase, southbound to Burlington City, NJ; then to River Road southbound through Beverly City, Delanco, Riverside, Delran, Cinaminson, Riverton, Palmyra, NJ. Cross Delaware River on Tacony-Palmyra drawbridge, then northbound in Northeast Philadelphia including Tacony, Rawnhurst, PennyPack, then along PA State Road northbound including Andalusia, Bensalem, Croydon and Bristol. Along Bristol PA waterfront, northbound past Edgely, PA, Tullytown, Pennsbury Manor, Morrisville. Crossing the Trenton Makes, The World Takes Bridge, southbound along the Delaware River and Riverfront Park, Lamberton Road, to Lock 1, D&R Canal at Duck Island, southbound to Bordentown City, Fieldsboro, Mansfield and finally, Homebase......

Miles: 61.2
    Battery Percentage Left: 21%
    Average Speed: 11.7 mph
    Max Speed: 22.5 mph
    Odometer after Ride: 2460 miles
    Weather: Hot, low humidity, mostly Sunny 90 degrees

Haibike Full FatSix

Notes: This was a fuel mileage run with mild aerobic impact. From Homebase to Palmyra, I used the STANDARD motor setting. From exiting off the drawbridge crossing the Delaware, I used ECO until I crossed back over into NJ some 30 miles north, where I switched over to STANDARD power to get me back home, up and over some of the river and creek bluffs between home and Lock 1 at Bordentown..................The Tacony-Palmyra has a very narrow pedestrian path on their bridge. On the base up to the span itself, it is so narrow that 2 bikes cannot pass by without one lifting their bikes up to pass the other biker. This happened to me on the Philadelphia side where I encountered a racer bike type who lifted his bike up to pass me......................Total food consumed: 1 5 hour Energy & 4 Hash Browns prior to the run; followed by 2 bottles of Propel Berry water at the Wawa outside Bristol Borough followed by 1 large Vanilla Milkshake (with whipped cream!) at the Morrisville, PA Dairy Queen..................Bike as usual, ran flawlessly. Rider did okay, too, but his rear end was hurting at the end of the ride.................To anyone unfamiliar with a mid-drive Ebike, a setting like ECO on this Yamaha powered bike is akin to the cyclist having a neutral or slight tail wind to his rear. It feels nothing like the assist provided in STANDARD or HIGH power settings. It feels everything like a cyclist pedaling a normal bicycle, no more, no less..................

Since this is Fat Biking AND Health, my last week's 6 month blood pressure check and blood work prior to seeing my cardiologist later on in Sept found everything within normal parameters. Very pleased with that.

Chief 500: Passing through Bristol's waterfront was really a nice run. That truly is a lovely town along the waterfront. A lot of great things have been done by the town and the homeowners to really make it look attractive. Get well. You will need to show me where to pick up the canal towpath inside Bristol....

mtbr member
    Chief 500: Passing through Bristol's waterfront was really a nice run. That truly is a lovely town along the waterfront. A lot of great things have been done by the town and the homeowners to really make it look attractive. Get well. You will need to show me where to pick up the canal towpath inside Bristol....
    That can happen at anytime you'd like. Glad you enjoyed the ride. Had I have know you were coming I would have broken out the 6 Fattie and done a very few miles with you. Next time
    I will be getting on my bike this evening for a few.

mtbr member
    I got out for a ride this evening after work. A nice easy 3.4 miles. Knee is tight and a lil sore. It's been iced and I'll throw the Tens on it for a little bit.
    Slow she goes.

Andy: Sounds like a plan. Figure next week or so? PM me to let me know what days are good for you and we'll work it out. I'll drive over, can meet up in the parking lot by the waterfront or wherever works best for you.

Good riding on a quite hot and humid evening!

Been going over the old posts in order to answer another thread about our longest fat bike rides. Reading a lot of the posts, you miss the folks who aren't posting much here anymore, Tigris, Cold Trigger Finger, NVPhatty, Yooper, RobertDavid; so many nice folks. But what really shines about this thread is the complete and total welcoming atmosphere by the old salts, the old veterans back then....as they do TODAY.

Looking back too, this Towpath character....what a gift of the gab. Good grief!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mike...I have a set of front Ortlieb City panniers. I much prefer softbags but sometimes the panniers/rack are a must. I run fronts on the back which forces me to still pack relatively light. This was a four day trip on my Vaya. Tent/sleep gear is in the handlebar roll. Clothes/electronics in one small pannier, cook stove, pillow, MREs, etc are in the other. Headlight, lock and assorted stuff in small trunk bag. The framebag ended up being a nice purchase in that it fits this bike, but if you turn it around it fits nicely in the Fatboy frame. Frame bag had tubes, snacks, pocket knife, drink supplements...

Fat Biking and health-img_1347.jpg

Terry: Welcome back, long time been missed! That is a nice looking touring rig going on there. I like!

Fat Biking and health-100_1997.jpg
    My Fatboy at Hugh Moore Park, D&L Canal, Easton, PA, October 2016. On my day runs, I run this way on the Fatboy; even leaving one of the commuter bags off to lighten the load a bit. Ultimate6 Large handlebar bag and QL2 rear commuter bags; which can yield a lot of gear. Surly Nice Rear Racks, front and rear. Like the late George Carlin talked about, when I travel I like to take my "stuff" with me!

I'm sold on Ortlieb bags. In addition to this set up, I can also outfit the Fatboy for a true long distance tour with a set of Ortlieb Bike Packer PLUS rear panniers, Ortlieb Sport Packer Plus for the front racks and an Ortlieb Travel Biker, a suitcase looking back that's mounted to the rear rack; something I've yet to figure out with the wide surly rack. All in that cool and understated hazel brown & black color.

I just like looking at bikes outfitted by their owners to go beyond the 7 hour day trip!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I got out for a ride this evening after work. A nice easy 3.4 miles. Knee is tight and a lil sore. It's been iced and I'll throw the Tens on it for a little bit.
    Slow she goes.
    Working your way back can be seemingly daunting. It will take a change in time that leaves you surprised at your progress, at which it will feel as though you have stonewalled. This point is rather boring in recovery since the progression is slowly occurring. During the big progression time it's exciting because progress is obvious and in your grill.

Terry, good to see ya post! Nice bike ya have. Hope your riding lots and enjoying the adventures.

Mike, the trailer project has been on hold due to life being very busy. Still looking forward to getting it together and tugging a load here and there.
    The fatboy's lookin good!

Mike calls out the truancy officer!!

On another note, I heard from Robert... His mother has passed away. Now he's dealing with the estate and all that jazz.
    Prayers and condolences out to ya Robert.

On to the riding and such. Been switching it up with a mix of +fullsquish, +1/2 squish and full fat! Just hafta go that route cause each bike is sooo fun.
    The Wildcat is shaping up to be a super fun ride. More or less a Sergeant with full squish. Handling is slightly more nimble being a medium frame for additional nimble qualities. Looking closely at the Schwalbe G-One 2.8's for street riding as they have a fast rolling appearance with nice fatness.

Gonna check up on the Bear today as he's been rather quiet lately...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mike...can you adjust the height of the Surly rear rack? I have the Blackburn Outpost for my Surly Ogre and I love the adjustability. Problem is their fat bike version says it fits any fat bike but then says up to 29x4. Will it fit 26x4.8? Some reviews say yes and others say no. I guess I could always order and return if not.

Specialized Fatboy with Surly Nice Rear Rack--Front and Rear

Terry: the Surly racks can be adjusted for height on the lower stays as well as for angle of level on the top stays. I scrapped my original set up that had the upper stays bolted to the frame; just could not get to level with the stays supplied by Surly (longer ones can be purchased though, see Universal Cycles). To get to lowering the rear rack and leveling it proper, I used a Problem Solvers Seat Post Clamp with built in threaded bosses for rack stays. It worked great.
    Fat Biking and health-100_1833.jpg
    Old set up. This places the pannier bags too high, changing the handling if the bags are loaded. And it looks awkward.
    Fat Biking and health-100_1851.jpg
    New, improved set up using Problem Solvers Seat Post Clamp/Rack Stays. Brings everything into proper adjustment, ability to lower the rack further and keep it level.
    Fat Biking and health-100_1858.jpg
    Added bonus: I wanted a front rack to attach bags and my dyno lighting system to. But the Carbon Fiber fork had no attaching points and there is no riv-nutting cf forks. So I bought an aluminum fatboy fork off this site, carefully measured where I wanted the rack mounting points and had my LBS install riv nuts that I supplied, 5 mm. I could not make perfect level due to the fork angle, but it's good enough.

This stuff should probably be put over at the Fatboy thread, but I figure most folks there these days are doing the Bluto thing along with bike packing style bags. I like my traditional bags as I can stuff a house in them and I don't have a dog-wagging-the-tail effect at the rear.....

Hope this is of help, Terry.

Wade: Great to hear you enjoying switching back and forth between 2 cool bikes! And thanks for the heads up on RobertDavid's mom. Condolences go to RobertD and family and peace to his Mom. With hope and in time, he'll be back at it on his single speeder and reporting back on his rides, here.

Terry: One final thing: the Surly Nice Rear Rack has plenty of room for 4.8 inch tires....

mtbr member
    Working your way back can be seemingly daunting. It will take a change in time that leaves you surprised at your progress, at which it will feel as though you have stonewalled. This point is rather boring in recovery since the progression is slowly occurring. During the big progression time it's exciting because progress is obvious and in your grill.

Terry, good to see ya post! Nice bike ya have. Hope your riding lots and enjoying the adventures.

Gonna check up on the Bear today as he's been rather quiet lately...
    You're so right; I've come to the realization I had MAJOR surgery and it's going to take time to get the knee used to bending repeatedly (pedaling) and not come away sore. It's taken a while for me to give in but the damn thing just keeps at it and so will I.

Let us know how he's (Bear) doing.

Thanks all for the positive reinforcement.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Chief, you've been reduced to a 4 cylinder with a couple bent valves! I was there after heart surgery. It was amazing in the weeks following, how improvement was so very noticeable. Work it carefully and try different seat height to find the "comfort zone" if there is one. I would think that going for the most extension without making it difficult to reach pedals would be where it's at for ya. That would make me insane cause I like my seat down some from the roadie position so I can play.

Remember to limit your ride times and gradually increase as you progress.

GO, CHIEF, GO!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Chief, you've been reduced to a 4 cylinder with a couple bent valves! I was there after heart surgery. It was amazing in the weeks following, how improvement was so very noticeable. Work it carefully and try different seat height to find the "comfort zone" if there is one. I would think that going for the most extension without making it difficult to reach pedals would be where it's at for ya. That would make me insane cause I like my seat down some from the roadie position so I can play.

Remember to limit your ride times and gradually increase as you progress.

GO, CHIEF, GO!!
    LOL

Thanks for that.
    Seat has been adjusted, up and forward a tad each to make pedaling easier and to minimize the lean for my back. I can't do my proper core workout to help the back. It's very tight at the beginning and as I pedal it gets better ..... then I didn't want to stop and over did it of course. Now it's 3+ miles sometimes less and that's it. Go that way for a few weeks every few days and then try to increase.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Do pay attention to the feedback you get. Glad you're going out and giving it a go.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Chief, just keep at it, you'll get there.

Mike, I love that rack! I would love that but I still haven't pulled the trigger. It would be tough for me to do because I keep my bike in the car when I travel. It barely fits without one. A car carrier is out because I think the bike would eventually get stolen ( I'm in different hotels all the time). I'm using a backpack. My small frame doesn't lend itself to much of a bag.

I've been riding almost every day (sorry Oz, no pictures. I will next time) but realizing the rest of my health improvement is going to need to start in the kitchen. I started listening to a podcast from a nutritionist who consults with serious athletes (I am not one, it's just interesting) and she really does a great job of explaining things, not just about training nutrition but all of it. She owns a business called Apex nutrition and her podcast is on mountain bike radio (there's an app). In any case, it less depressing than listening to the news. It's also made me realize that the minor changes I've made are probably not going to get me where I want to be.

My brother in law is trying to talk me into a 6 hour endurance race next year. He is an ironman finisher, I introduced him to mountain biking and he loves it. He's been encouraging me all along. I think I will need to lose a few more pounds before I am ready for that. There is not a ton of elevation change around here, but it is a ton of short burst climbs. That is when you notice weight. So I will keep working on it.

Maybe entering the race will be an excuse to upgrade the bike...f

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hallo there!

I've been distracted with the new two-wheeled child in the garage the past week. Sorting out a new motorcycle is just as time consuming and detail oriented a task as sorting out a new bicycle/ebike... if not more so. Plus I have to sort me out too ... after an absence from riding for 12 years, being 'able' to ride doesn't necessarily mean I am really a competent rider immediately upon hopping on the bike again. A couple hundred miles of break-in and practice rides now and the bike is sorting out nicely and my chops are getting there too. The two things play off each other... when the bike is really right, I can control it better and my riding/confidence improves more quickly.

But I tell you: I'd be a meandering, discombobulated dodo bird if it hadn't been for riding the Sumo nearly every day since April 9. I am so very very happy/grateful/amazed at what the Sumo has done for my legs, balance, awareness, "and all that" it's hard to express.

Despite not writing much about it and being distracted by the other kid, I've ridden almost every day on the Sumo this past week, rides up to 18 miles in length. My total mileage is at 550 now—guess I'll have to bring it in for a service in about another hundred, maybe next week. My legs feel better and better, my gut feels smaller and smaller, and I feel more and more like I can achieve things I never imagined I'd be able to do again with every passing day's ride. I love being on two wheels—electric and human powered or motorized—so very much!

"Fat biking and health" is a part of all that. Thank you all for your stories, your rides, your thoughts and encouragement.

onwards!
    G

TexMex: Understood! Sounds like in your situation, the bike packing bags out there could be of better benefit then the fixed front and rear racks.

G: Inspiring post about what fat biking can do for one's health! Keep up the great riding and do keep us informed of future rides.

Chief: Making excellent progress!

Wade: Excellent articulation of the things expected and required on that come-back road. Well said, my friend.

Surly in Oz: Hope your winter cold is easing up. Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Today's Ride Report was about the weather. The ususal Full FatSix 35 miler from Homebase to Delran, NJ and the Riverside Marina. Excessive heat warnings for the Delaware Valley today up until tomorrow night for OldBear-like Southern High Heat and Humidity. 96 degrees or so today. The Yamaha drive system and battery handled it all like a trooper. Went over 2500 miles on the odometer the other day, not too shabby since getting this bike in February. Hope to get another long ride in tomorrow am before the late morning heat/humidity starts kicking into overdrive....

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mike, the return was amazing for me. The lack of power, lack of endurance was an eye opener, indeed. The silver lining was the amazingly obvious improvement on a daily basis. Like a fresh valve job and new rings, going gets good!

With 3 RSD's in the house these days, choosing which to ride can be challenging. The Wildcat is awesome but Sarge has his highlights too! Then there's the Mayor for the fat n fun times. Seems those 4.8's are just irresistible. The ride is amazing on the plush Jumbo Jim 4.8's. The ability to take a ride where the ground is loose and just go is a real pleasure.

The ride on Wedensday with the Wildcat was a blast. Urban assault and a rather enjoyable conversation with an Aspen police officer that showed interest in the Cat. Unfortunately, the humidity went to the moon with an incoming monsoon on tap. Couldn't cool and it became damn hot. The monsoon let loose after the ride. Dammit!!! :/

The Mayor is fun in the rain. Hmm, Fatness is sounding really good, suddenly! When was the last time we acted like kids and played in the rain?? And how better to do it than riding a bike that is scaled to our current kid in all of us??
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Shorter & easy rides is what I'm trying to stick to and hopefully more often providing the knee allows it.

3.05 miles in blistering heat @ 1:30 this afternoon. Felt good, lets see how the knee reacts.

Have a great weekend everyone. Stay as cool as possible.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Shorter & easy rides is what I'm trying to stick to and hopefully more often providing the knee allows it.

3.05 miles in blistering heat @ 1:30 this afternoon. Felt good, lets see how the knee reacts.

Might be able to go further by staying in a lower gear. But moderation still reigns supreme.

Glad you're doing better Chief.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

3.05 miles today, tomorrow the world! Well, not exactly tomorrow... but you get the idea. At least you are out there, and you'll get a little better everyday. Keep us posted, keep smiling.

mtbr member

Imm baaacckk

[QUOTE=iliketexmex;13258402]3.05 miles today, tomorrow the world! Well, not exactly tomorrow... but you get the idea. At least you are out there, and you'll get a little better everyday. Keep us posted, keep smiling.

Chief: keep at it. Looking back over this thread I am amazed at what a lot of us have come through. When I had my big stroke back a couple of years, it took me three months of cardiac rehab before I was able to ride my fatty. But, because of my fitness level I was able to ride the rehab clinic's stationary bike close to twenty minutes at thecstart. One thing that helped was that stationary bike was my only time to ride because it was a cold winter in Missouri. So like Wade has said, 'take it slow'.

Got out this am for about two hours, just piddlin' around. had my rr bed to myself. Then the heat bill up along with that sauna effect...ugh. but I did get a lot of quick sprints in. Felt really good. My Pro is an excellent ride. Too bad BD dropped the model.

Until later
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Back on a bike...

Hi everyone, well my holidays finished and it was back to work this week, at least that meant I was riding a bike. I don't have a car of my own so I had to ride Man Flu or not

Worked up to Saturday, so today was the first chance for a spin on a bike. I have a ride planned for the FatBike however the lack of fitness and the size of the surf today changed my plans. I have a 30 km/18 mile loop that is flat and the halfway point has a great view of the ocean, so my CrossCheck was the bike of choice.

I did not even pack a camera, which I regretted when I arrived at the lookout. The winter sun was again shining through and the surf was perfect, I grabbed a few images on my old phone and straight away remembered why I ride with a proper camera.

Fat Biking and health-img_3112.jpg

Looking North along one of the beaches that I normally ride with the FatBike, as you can see the swell was pushing right up the beach. It would have made for a ride with wet feet

Looking South the Sea was rolling over the next Beach as well, so the road bike was a good idea.

Fat Biking and health-img_3114.jpg

Its a flat ride but the wind on the way home was blowing strong and my legs are still reminding me now that a week or so of not riding is a bad idea.

Well the next five days will be on the commuter bike and I hope the the good weather holds till next Saturday.

Great to see that you all have been getting in the miles, G take your time on that bike and ride like all other road users are out to get you. I "met" two such idiots today, reminds me why I picked up a FatBike in the first place to ride away from inconsiderate/distracted/rude and just plain dangerous drivers.

Safe riding to all.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Lot going on today ... but I put in 15+ miles on the Sumo and have pushed the odometer up to 575 now.

Heard a funny noise last time I rode it, and this morning it was worse. And then it dawned on me what I was hearing: I've worn the front brake pads too thin. Makes sense: heavy-ish bike, with a heavy rider, being used daily at road speeds in the 12 to 18 mph range ... those wee little pads have been working hard. I ordered new pads at the bike shop right near by, both fronts and rears. They should be in by Wednesday, and I'll have their service guys install them. Could do it myself but I'll be lazy.

Meanwhile, I've been wrenching on the motorbike. The clutch was very badly setup so I've fixed that, and I found the chain was much looser than it ought to be ... took care of that too. After acquiring the tools and such. NO time to test ride it this evening, tomorrow will have to do.

G

Surly: Whatever camera captures the moment, nothing beats the beauty of your countryside.

G:Good call on the brake pads. Probably figure a pad changeout twice a season based on the miles you are doing. Creatures of our topography we are. I'm working on 2600 miles on the Full FatSix with no noises in the brake system. Still great braking front and rear. It has been on my mind to expend a few dollars on some new Magura pads.

Yesterday was a 32 miler from Homebase to New Egypt, NJ. 100% asphalt. Before that ride, I had 3 consecutive days of going down to the Riverside Marina and back, 36 miles each in some pretty oppressive summer heat and humidity.

mtbr member
    Beautiful pic's Surly. Makes me want to go to the beach.
    I got out this afternoon. Nice and easy, 2.85 miles. Did so yard work, deadheading flowers and cutting back daisies. The knee feels pretty good, some ice and a shower will feel great.
    Hoping I have found a path forward.

mtbr member

Taking time to take some pictures

I have been riding a lot but not taking many pictures. So here are some new views. This week I was in Michigan. Yesterday I rode a trail at Olson Park near Ann Arbor. The reviews on Singletracks were terrible but it was close to the hotel and there was an impending thunderstorm, so I took a chance. Lesson of the day: don't listen to everyone else. It was a fun little trail. Very sandy with loose over hard conditions. So even my slow fat butt could roost a corner. Nearly ran over a bullfrog, but I dodged him just in time. No bullfrogs were harmed while collecting memories for this post.
    Fat Biking and health-image.jpgFat Biking and health-image.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-image.jpg
    Today's ride was at DTE Foundation Trail. The local energy company donated land and built a trail. It is a flow trail, but not killer elevation. It is one of the most fun trails I've been on. Nice, smooth, rolling trails through the woods. It is very fast and most of the corners are bermed. The whole ride was the sound of tires ripping sandy/gravelly turns. It was a perfect 75 degrees with low humidity.
    Fat Biking and health-image.jpgFat Biking and health-image.jpgFat Biking and health-image.jpgFat Biking and health-image.jpgFat Biking and health-image.jpg Fat Biking and health-image.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	1148306

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing the pic's Texmex. Nice to see some scenery. I'm stuck close to home right now riding.

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing the pic's Texmex. Nice to see some scenery. I'm stuck close to home right now riding.
    Soon enough, Chief. Stick with the program and you'll be back. Just keep working the plan.

Nice photos of what looks like a great ride, TexMex. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. And again; I'm blown away by the lack of overgrown vegetation in your riding areas. Summer growth here has all the weeds, various poison plants in full bloom. Stray off the towpath and you're infested with ticks and itching from poison ivy!

mtbr member
    Nice photos of what looks like a great ride, TexMex. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. And again; I'm blown away by the lack of overgrown vegetation in your riding areas. Summer growth here has all the weeds, various poison plants in full bloom. Stray off the towpath and you're infested with ticks and itching from poison ivy!
    We have areas that are overgrown, but the trail volunteers Do a good job. I could tell work had been done on these trails. My home trails get hundreds of hours of trail love by the local club every year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mex well to me those look like some great trails, seems like they have some nice flow.

Photos are very inviting

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hallo all'y'all!

I've gotten annoyed with the dealer I bought the Sumo from and found out that the bike shop nearby me now has access to iZip parts and can do the servicing, etc. Good people, a ten minute walk away, and responsive when I ask questions or order parts.

So I ordered the brake pads that sounded pretty low from them, they came in yesterday, and I dropped the bike off and said, "It's got 600 miles on it now, install the pads and do whatever other maintenance it needs." The mechanic checked it out, found that the bearings were all fine, the derailleur nearly perfect, the chain has about 50% wear on it, sprockets are fine ... He lubed everything, fitted the brakes, and charged me $20.

The bike feels like a new bike again! I'm so jazzed.

I was going to go for a 10 mile ride in celebration, but it was over 90°F and after a couple of miles I turned around and headed home. Sweating like crazy in that heat. I ran through the shower, then jumped into the complex' pool out back and swam laps for half an hour.

A good workout, the ride will wait until morning when it's cooler.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G, always good to have a LBS you can trust.

A ride followed by a swim, you are moving dangerous territory next you will be doing the full triathlon

Hope the days cool down a little for you.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Bueller Bueller...

Hi everyone, a surprise day off work for me on Friday after a stuff up from the rostering department. I could have worked anyway for twice the pay however when you get to our age and the weather is like this...

Fat Biking and health-dsc09045.jpg

well in the sprit of Ferris a day of it was.

I have a Fat Bike ride planned for the weekend and after the large surf of last week I wanted to have a look at one of the beaches to see if it was rideable. The image above looks along the beach towards Newcastle, and as you can see in this one the swell has stripped some sand away and is pushing right up the the cliff face.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09050.jpg

Looks like 30 meters of sand has moved, I will have to check the tides and swell size for Sunday to see if I can get past it.

Still its an amazing view and a favourite of the local Mountain Biking community. In that second image on a clear day like this you can see the peaks of Nelsons Bay off in the distance.

I was planning to take the Fat Bike however my poor Mountain bike has been sadly neglected since the Farley arrived in the shed. As I had planned not to ride the beach and I wanted to look for some new trails that were cut for the recent Port to Port mountain bike race the old Specialized FSR got the nod.

The first trail that I sniffed out started out promising...

Fat Biking and health-dsc09040.jpg

however soon after this the trail turned to sugar sand and it felt strange when the skinny tyres sunk deep into it and the bike stopped. I will come back on the Fat Bike as their looked to be some fun tracks in that part of the bush.

Soon enough I found the new trail and it was a great ride as it made its way up the hills.

At the top after enjoying the views along the coast it was time to head home, not before a stop at the beautiful creek running down the the lagoon you can see in the first two photos.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09054.jpg

Well another glorious winters day down here in OZ temps in the low twenties dec c/ seventies F and clear skies, I am sure the Ferris would agree that I made the right call about have a day off.

OZ.

P.S click on the photos to see them at a larger size.

mtbr member
    ramarren, always good to have a shop that you trust. I have one and glad I do.

Surly, great pic's, thanks for sharing.

OK I rode Monday, Wednesday, Friday this week. That's major progress for me. 3.5+ today. It felt SO good. Icing the knee now after getting back from sushi dinner with the wife and son.
    I'm headed to the beach tomorrow in a noreaster. My vacation house was foreclosed on and I'm going to check it out to make sure the bank is taking care of the house. I'm headed into the teeth of the beast. Heavy rain, wind and flooding is expected or I'd have taken my bike.

I'm looking at 2 days off and then back at it Monday.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

mtbr member
    Hi everyone, a surprise day off work for me on Friday after a stuff up from the rostering department. I could have worked anyway for twice the pay however when you get to our age and the weather is like this...
    Hi Surly

I wonder if you track any of your rides and have GPS routes you're willing to share. I live in Canberra and am looking for opportunities to get away from the cold with some fat bike beach/track rides north of Sydney. I also have a sister in law in Nelson Bay, so I have a number of opportunities to get to the areas you cover in your excellent posts.

Thanks Tim

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tim, I have a Garmin 25, I have no idea how you make a GPS file from it.

I would visit your sister in Law in Nelson Bay, it would have to be one of the best towns to ride a fat bike. Head out to Birubi Point and all of Stockton beach is there to ride, I have not been up there yet with the fat bike. Tin City is a spot south of Birubi is a place I want to ride to. Hop the ferry across to Hawks Nest and the Beach runs from there all the way north to Seals Rocks.

There are some trails around Nelson Bay itself that are sandy, the Port to Port mountain bike race runs around them.

In Newcastle head up to Glenrock, thats where my photos from yesterday are taken. Its well sign posted so you won't get too lost.

South of there is Redhead beach it runs south along Nine Mile beach to Blacksmiths, a nice ride.

South of there from Caves Beach head towards Catherine Hill Bay their is a post on page 37 that will give you a few ideas.

Hope that helps, Canberra is a great place to ride, we visit friends down there often I have not taken a bike with me yet, I might next time.

OZ.
    Last edited by Surly in OZ; 07-29-2017 at 02:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Hi Tim, I have a Garmin 25, I have no idea how you make a GPS file from it. I would visit your sister in Law in Nelson Bay, it would have to be one of the best towns to ride a fat bike. Head out to Birubi Point and all of Stockton beach is there to ride, I have not been up there yet with the fat bike. Tin City is a spot south of Birubi is a place I want to ride to. Hop the ferry across to Hawks Nest and the Beach runs from there all the way north to Seals Rocks.

There are some trails around Nelson Bay itself that are sandy, the Port to Port mountain bike race runs around them.

In Newcastle head up to Glenrock, thats where my photos from yesterday are taken. Its well sign posted so you won't get too lost.

South of there is Redhead beach it runs south along Nine Mile beach to Blacksmiths, a nice ride.

South of there from Caves Beach head towards Catherine Hill Bay their is a post on page 37 that will give you a few ideas.

Hope that helps, Canberra is a great place to ride, we visit friends down there often I have not taken a bike with me yet, I might next time.OZ.
    Thanks Oz. I will look at a few maps; they sound like good trips and ride towards Seal Rocks sound great. I have ridden briefly around Glenrock in the past.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Tim

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hi Tim,

My iPhone/Apple Watch tracks my rides but since they're all buzzing around the San Francisco Bay/San Jose area in California USA, they're not likely to be of much interest in Canberra.

Out for a 14 mile ride this morning. It was delightfully cool and I was in a speedy mood: broke my record-so-far from home to Guadalupe River Park (5.3 miles) by doing it in 22 minutes!

An old buddy from the East Coast was visiting and met up with me and the rest of the Boyz at breakfast. He took Sumo for a few laps of the shopping center parking lot and returned with a huge grin on his face. "WoW! This thing is an absolute kick! I can see why you ride it so much; I don't think I could get off it if I had one!"

Sumo turned 604 miles on the odometer as I arrived home today. The light tune up (really just lubed the chain and sprockets...!) that the LBS gave it and the new brakes have made it feel brand new again. I guess I should clean the wheels now... LOL!

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Has it only been three days? Odometer now reads 659 miles...

Taking stock of myself after my shower this morning, I am looking at my legs and I am amazed. From mid-thigh down, they look like the legs I remember from more than twenty years ago. More importantly, they feel and work like those legs did. Almost made me weep with joy.

My hip was going bad for 27 years. At the end when I started working towards the hip replacement, I thought I was a goner. Heart, blood pressure, weight, intestines, knee, hip, eyes ... Everything was in a death spiral. My strength was gone, I had no stamina at all, I couldn't think clearly any more.

In April 2012, I cracked open a fortune cookie...

... and I realized it was right. It ... Time, life, disease ... was taking everything. And the flip side, it would take everything I had to turn it around. Everything, no holds barred. It was either that or die. There was no gray area.

I let it all go. Everything focused on the essential. Everything burned up in the push to rebuild. No holds barred.

I can think again. I can walk. I can ride. I am me again. I will not die a hopeless, mindless cripple: not this one, Emit Flesti. Now I am crying. I accept my inevitable passing with joy. I will never be that miserable creature again.

Still going. Lots of jelly belly to burn up yet. Lots of miles left to go. Even if it is only a moment left to live, it is MY moment, precious and inviolable.

Never give in to darkness, to hate, to death. Reach for the light, for joy, for love. Fight, fight as if your life depended on it ... it surely does.

onwards, ever onwards!
    G