Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637
Results 3,601 to 3,666 of 3666
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Bear nothing like riding in warm rain, love it. Not so much the other morning riding to work in the dark, 5 dec C (41 F) and pouring down.

Still makes you feel alive and not just passing through.

Hope the eye clears up.

OZ.

Fat Biking & Health Rider

Night Of The Living Snapping Turtle Terror: A Journey Into Hell And Back

My last documented ride here mentioned my encounter with the Apex Predator of the D&R Lock 1 Towpath and Surrounding Hamilton/Trenton Marshlands...that's right, the dreaded Snapping Turtle. Naturally, I was without camera to photograph these fiends in the grass, grazing like a modern day T-Rex, but today, we set about making things right. In other words, I brought the damn camera with me this time!
    Fat Biking and health-100_2269.jpg
    Here's a billboard of the area we'll be venturing in. Not sure if you can read it as we are dealing with a 6 MP camera, but the gist of it is, as we cross over the Lock 1 D&R Canal Towpath Bridge, we will be heading north, with the swamps of sister creeks flowing into the Delaware River to our left; to our right, the trillion acre Hamilton/Trenton Marsh; home of every slimy, fanged, blood sucking, meat-eating creature known to man.......
    Fat Biking and health-100_2270.jpg
    Since this is a Fat Bike Forum, here is the obligatory shot of the weapon of choice, a 2016 Haibike Full FatSix Mid-Drive Electric Bike. Phew! This is at the Bordentown, NJ boat ramp, Crosswicks Creek, where it meets the river Delaware. Or as we like to say here in NJ, Delaware River....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2271.jpg
    Looking out to the Delaware, southbound. Water as calm as glass. Early morning, about 0800 hours. There are often days when it is not so idylic and peaceful out there.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2272.jpg
    Yapewi Boat Club, Crosswicks Creek. Founded in 1800 something. Old waters here. Long ago, the British chased the American fleet up Crosswicks, where the American's burned their boats rather than give them up to the Brit Red Jackets. And not far from here was the home of Napoleon's brother, Joseph Bonaparte, whose mansion and grounds overlooked Crosswicks Creek. He called it Pointe Breeze, indicative of the western breezes that seemed to flow in these parts. As one who has kayaked and canoed these waters, I can attest to the validity of these breezes......
    Fat Biking and health-100_2274.jpg
    The photo does not do the grade from the boat ramp at water level, as 1 dimensional picture's can't convey that lung busting climb. But trust me, climbing to the top at Prince Street in Bordentown, is a gut buster. This area of Bordentown is built on a high bluff leading up and down to the river and Crosswicks Creek. No, it ain't the Rockies or Sierra Nevada's. But it'll do.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2275.jpg
    Still standing watch and guard over Bordentown, her favorite son, Thomas Paine. High atop the bluff looking down Crosswicks Creek and further out, the Delaware River. Tom Paine today would be considered a rabble rousing Community Organizer. His book, Common Sense was a rallying point for the Revolutionary War. One of our Founding Fathers, if you will. I like this guy and can imagine him trying out the Haibike Full FatSix.

I've no doubt Tom would be impressed. And I've no doubt, Tom would ask the very same question I get asked by American Patriots in the year 2017: "So, how much did it cost you?"

Next Up: Into the Heart of Darkness.....

Night Of The Living Snapping Turtle Terror: A Journey Into Hell And Back--Part 2

Fat Biking and health-100_2276.jpg
    Just to the back of Tom Paine, the end of Prince Street, overlooking the Crosswicks Creek and Delaware River. About a 60 foot or so drop, top to bottom; and of course that means, climbing this upon leaving the lock and towpath, bound for home. Great fun if you've done multiple miles up north on a day trip. There are quite a few climbs like this that go up and down various small creeks back to homebase; each and every one, very short but very steep. Last summer, climbing the Blacks Creek watershed, zonked out after an 80 mile run on the human powered Fatboy Towpath Traveler, I saw my speedometer drop down to 3 mph, so fatigued I was.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2277.jpg
    The end of Farnsworth Avenue, Bordentown, dropping down to water level to Crosswicks Creek and the Bordentown Yacht Club. Again, a short but steep climb by bicycle. I call this area the Bordentown Alps.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2278.jpg
    Raspberries. In a few weeks, I'll be fighting off the birds to taste this wonderful morsels. They are abundant around here, as they are further up, on the Delaware and Lehigh Canal system.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2280.jpg
    Looking northbound to the New Jersey Transit River Line light rail trestle bridge, over Crosswicks Creek. To the left, out in the brush, is a hidden Lock 1 entrance. The tide is outbound right now. When it gets moving, it really rips around this bridge.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2281.jpg
    Looking southbound on Crosswicks Creek train bridge, towards the yacht club and some boats I'll never be able to afford. My favorite is the C-Dory on the right. That's quite a fine boat....Fat Biking and health-100_2282.jpg
    We're now off the bridge and on the Towpath, heading to the Lock 1 pedestrian bridge. Leaving civilization; a sense of dread hung heavy like the humidity. Well, it wasn't really humid this morning, but you have to admit, that did sound rather melancholy, setting the mood, no? Fat Biking and health-100_2284.jpg
    Delaware and Raritan Canal, Lock 1, Bordentown, NJ. Say if this were over 100 years ago, this is what we'd be looking at: an operating Lock system, with two gates. Most likely, large groupings of men and women about, readying their mules to make the trip northbound on the Lock system. There might be a barge being made ready for it's trip south on the Delaware to Philadelphia. Just to the north of here, a large holding basin featured barges and their mules waiting patiently to go into the lock chamber and out into Crosswicks for that run to Philly. This was a happening place of human and animal activity. Fat Biking and health-100_2285.jpg
    Dead center on the bridge, looking out to Crosswicks Creek. Imagine an area cleared of all brush and trees, of bollards and heavy lines to hold barges tight in the lock, of lock gates opening and closing, of Canal Tenders chasing dudes on Electric FatBikes to "Get the hell out of this lock with that infernal contraption!"

Next Up: The Search Begins....

Night Of The Living Snapping Turtle Terror: A Journey Into Hell And Back--Part3

Fat Biking and health-100_2286.jpg
    Danger lurks in the grass, just off the pedestrian bridge, heading northbound. This is the deadly Eastern Cotton Tail Killer Rabbit, most likely a young baby. I estimate this one to be about 48 pounds. Don't let the cute face fool you. This thing could rip one's heart out in seconds. Best not to agitate it. My bike is governed to only 20 mph and this one, despite it's young age, could run me down in short order.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2287.jpg
    Heart of Darkness. Joseph Conrad and even Francis Ford Coppolla would know the feeling that settled over me; northbound. Apocalypse Now, here we come. The horror...the horror!
    Fat Biking and health-100_2288.jpg
    Snapping Turtle egg nesting area, northbound. One of many in a short, grassy area. More on these nesting areas later....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2289.jpg
    Careful now, that's an Eastern CottonMouth Chipmunk. Cobra-like reflexes with a bite that can kill in days. These things were known to terrorize Canal Boat Women back in the day, with their long, flowing dresses of lace. Not a pretty outcome. They were once hunted to near extinction, but like the Plague, they are back. The US Army has considered using these things as a kind of Biological Warfare Ultimate Weapon; but even the Geneva Convention nixed the idea; the art of war even having it's own limits of decency and good & honorable rules of engagement. So the Eastern CottonMouth Chipmunk was out; Nuclear Weaponry considered the more humane thing to employ.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2290.jpg
    The Long And Winding Road.....it is true, Paul MacCartney got his inspiration one day by walking this road; in the cold weather months, free from the summer terrors like the CottonMouth Chipmunk and Snapping Turtle; to write the lyrics and music of this immortal Beatles song.........
    Fat Biking and health-100_2291.jpg
    D&R Canal Mile Marker. Set in the marker are the numbers 43. This indicates it is 43 miles from the northern terminus of this great canal, at New Brunswick, New Jersey. From there, barge traffic went to New York City or even into the Coal Fields of North Eastern Pennsylvania. The modern day Spray Paint graphics can be roughly translated into the following: "I am an uncivilized dope walking around in the woods with a can of black spray paint looking for ancient canal mile markers so I can mark my presence like a dog pissing on a fire hydrant"........
    Fat Biking and health-100_2292.jpg
    More evidence of Jurrasic-era Snapping Turtle nesting site.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2294.jpg
    Northbound and more Rock and Roll history. It was here that The Hollies got their inspiration for "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" when one of the mates said "Sheesh, this road is long, with many a winding turn that leads us to who knows where!?!?!"Fat Biking and health-100_2297.jpg
    Northbound and I've entered the clearing where the canal and river swamps surround the area completely. This IS Snapping Turtle country, these nests can be found everywhere in the grass adjacent to the Delaware swamps. 2 days ago, 3 of these prehistoric beasts were in their nesting plots as I quietly snuck by them; not wanting to get chased down....

Next Up: Some more nesting holes, a downed tree and the devastated remains of a 300 pound flightless bird, a victim by the jaws of death....

Night Of The Living Snapping Turtle Terror: A Journey Into Hell And Back--Part 4

Fat Biking and health-100_2296.jpg
    Looking northbound, Snapping Turtle Breeding and Nesting Grounds. To the left, the Delaware Swampland. To the right, the D&R Canal. You can't tell, but it is roughly a 5 foot straight-up climb from water or swamp level to these grounds. This is the climb these monsters have to make; which really impresses me as to their determination. 3 days ago, I rode through here, passing a small Snapper; which I estimated to be about 150 pounds. After I found the path a bit further up blocked by a downed tree, I made my way back to here, where I found 2 other Snappers had come onto these grounds from the swamps below. Those 2 I conservatively estimated their weight at about 1500 to 2000 pounds. The scary thing about this? Those things were lurking as I passed by, only to make their presence known but 10 minutes later! The dear reader would have to trust me on this, as I naturally forgot to bring my camera. Running into these beasts weighing near 2 tons is running a gauntlet of Terror, I tell ya!
    Fat Biking and health-100_2297.jpg
    Yet one more example of a Snapping Turtle Nest. This one is estimated to be 15 feet across....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2300.jpg
    Northbound, approaching the end of the Main Snapping Turtle Breeding Grounds and the I-295 overpass bridge.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2301.jpg
    Delaware & Raritan Canal at I-295 Overpass. Lovely, quiet water. Looks inviting and refreshing, doesn't it? Maybe you might want to go for a dip, to cool things off? Go ahead. I'll notify your next of kin and give a shout out to the National Guard. This is Snapping Turtle Country. Question: What would be the difference between jumping into this water or the Lions Den at the Philadelphia Zoo? Answer: You have to pay an entrance fee at the Zoo to get eaten alive. Out here, it's 100% natural with no presevatives and it's all FREE....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2304.jpg
    Northbound of the I-295 bridge overpass and the towpath is constricted by narrow and deadly woods on both sides. It was here last year that I ran into a rabid Eastern Gray Backed Wolf. Or it could have been a baby fox; I'm not sure.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2305.jpg
    This looks bad. Damn it, I'm a taxpayer and I demand the State of New Jersey come out toute suite and remove this tree in my way. I shall phone the Governor and if forced to do so, the President. How can one document an expedition fairly and in it's entirety when a downed tree can bring everything to a smashing and abrupt end? The horror!
    Fat Biking and health-100_2306.jpg
    Well, I called the Governor, who was of no help. So I called the President; who said they'll have the FBI out there right away to take care of my problems! Now that, my friends, is what you call SERVICE! But I took a dare and pressed on. I'll talk to the FBI later; I can't allow this expedition to grind to a halt. One thing to note here: I have well documented the danger that lurks in these woods. I have documented the dangers in those Snapping Turtle Nests. The Cotton Tailed Killer Rabbits and CottonMouthed Chimpmunks. But would you believe, even this tree presents significant danger? How so? I'll tell you by an Old Saying....."Leaves in Three....Let Them Be...." Say what again? Poison Ivy is all over that tree. Brush up against this stuff...no, just THINK about this stuff and you'll be breaking out in watery blisters up and down your body. But as they say in those Late Night Infomericals: "But that's not all, Folks!!" Here comes the double whammy: every tree branch, every blade of grass holds the evil Deer Tick, carrier of the life sapping and debilitating Lyme Disease. So in conclusion: any thoughts of romping around in the nude with your loved one, on a dare, in these woods of death; will be the most regretful thing you've ever done, since you bought that old Chevrolet Vega, back in 1976....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2307.jpg
    The most densely populated state in the country; wall to wall people; yet this could be...I don't know, the wilds of the Yukon. Or even, just a mile southbound from here....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2310.jpg
    You say you want some Single Track? You got it, buddy. Except there is not a sheer cliff face on the one side and a moutain overpass on the other. Just a single track, New Jersey-style. Venture into the brush, and with the ticks, the snakes, the biting insects, the Snapping Turtles, the CottonTailed Killer Rabbits, the CottonMouthed ChipMunks and you'd wished you'd instead taken a spill over the side of Mount Rainer!

Thanks. I'll just stay on this Single Track, thank you very much.

Next up: Fragments of a large, flightless bird, torn to bits by the predatory Snapping Turtle!

Night Of The Living Snapping Turtle Terror: A Journey Into Hell And Back--Part 5

Fat Biking and health-100_2311.jpg
    The end of the Lock 1 towpath. From here, we are leaving the dangers of the animal world to that of the human world. Trenton, New Jersey. There is a bridge nearby with giant LED letters proclaiming TRENTON MAKES THE WORLD TAKES. Well, that is all past tense. All Trenton makes now it seems is ghastly crime and of course, being the state capital of the most densely populated, highest taxed state in the Union; home to the blood sucking human leeches known as the New Jersey Politician.
    Fat Biking and health-100_1633.jpg
    Oh, I feel much better now. Hey, will you look at that! Taken from Bordentown Beach, about 4 winters ago. I think it was about 10 degrees outside and I wanted to take this photo of my Kayak paddle at sunset. Why this is relevant to today's expedition, I don't know, but I do suspect the killer Snapping Turtles are all hibernating at the time of this photo....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2313.jpg
    Back on target and back on the towpath, heading southbound when this object nearly threw me off the Full FatSix....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2314.jpg
    The torn to bits remains of the Pterodactyl Wren, a large flightless bird that appears to have met an untimely end. Can anyone doubt this poor beast met it's end by a Snapper ambush-style attack? Think about where we've come in this journey. And every pedal stroke has been into a war zone of death and destruction; not to mention a warming sun with absolutely no comfort-aid stations featuring cold, iced drinks and snacks....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2319.jpg
    The evidence is compelling, that this is the vacationing grounds of the last of the crocodillian-like, meat eating dinosaurs, the Snapping Turtle. No sooner did I avoid getting thrown by the remains of that Pterodactyl Wren, did I nearly run into this 5 foot diameter Eastern Maple, the proof that Snappers, in a fit of rage, tore this hard wood tree into kindling. Incredible to contemplate!
    Fat Biking and health-100_2321.jpg
    The elusive New Jersey Turkey Dove. During Washington's Christmas Eve assault on Trenton, it is said the Continental Army was kept alive by the nourishment provided by the New Jersey Turkey Dove. World renowned Chefs the world over agree that if well cooked, the Turkey Dove tastes like a Cornish Game Hen with subtle hints of Chicken. Amazingly, cooked rare and the meat takes on the flavor of a finely aged Prime Rib. Now that's some good eatin'!
    Fat Biking and health-100_2322.jpg
    The Delaware and Raritan Canal. Wade into this water and you'll come out looking like Humphrey Bogart did when he had to drag the African Queen in that quiet and calm sub-african waters. You remember that scene, don't you? And when your toes are squishing the mud on the bottom, you'll step onto what you think is a very big log. Except it's moving. And it's pissed off. And now, your teeny tiny toes are being made into this afternoon's lunch by this area's Apex Predator, the Snapping Turtle!
    Fat Biking and health-100_2323.jpg
    New Jersey Cotton Tailed Killer Rabbit: Me: "Permission to pass by you?" Killer Rabbit: "Give me a minute while I finish this delicious Eastern Diamond Backed Rattler". Me: "Okay, take your time."
    Fat Biking and health-100_2325.jpg
    Well, as we approach the Lock 1 Pedestrian Bridge, we have no Snapping Turtle sightings but plenty of evidence of the carnage left behind by their actions. In a way, I'm lucky, for I've failed to bring 2 spare tires in case one chomped on my Jumbo Jims for a late morning brunch. But lo and behold, look at what we have here coming off the bridge!
    Fat Biking and health-100_2326.jpg
    A great day, indeed, for we have it's mild mannered cousin, the New Jersey Nipping Turtle. Nippers, as we call them, just peck at you; quite harmless; but still, best not to agitate it and find out we picked on one that's having a bad morning! This young pup is pushing I'd say 600 pounds. Hand in photo is not-to-scale....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2327.jpg
    The Nipper is well known around here as a great watch turtle for bicyclists. Want to hit up that pizza shop but forgot the lock at home? Just employ your pet Nipper you have along for the trip. Just uncage him from your Surly Bike Trailer and tie a leash around his neck & attach to the downtube. Great fun for passing kids as well; always elicits folks desire to pet these critters as they contemplate stealing your electric bike while you are unawares! I photoshopped this photo so the reader can imagine what a one pound Nipper would look like being held in one's hand.....

Final Trip Report: Not one Snapping Turtle sighting. I'll go out on a limb here and say the extremely warm morning the other day; coupled with the Full Moon, had the female Snappers everywhere on the move, going to their nesting sites.

Hope you enjoyed this irreverent, but factual, Ride Report!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-0aaaaab1.jpg  

Post-Post Partum Report: Well, a Deparment of Corrections is in order. I failed to include the photo of the Cotton Tailed Killer Rabbit eating that Rattler, but did include the conversation I had with it. To clear things up, that photo accompanying the conversation was actually a pathway leading up to the canal; a pathway worn to the cinders by the passing of millions of Snapping Turtles going back to the Jurrasic or Benzene Era. Just so's we are clear....

That sunset at the end? No bloody idea why it wound up there. But it does look nice.In fact, this is just beyond the fringes of the end of the Lock 1 canal; just before hitting Trenton NJ, proper. Here, all are welcomed and everything is nice and free and tasty with flying unicorns and no taxation and 1500 watt hour spare batteries and truly tubeless tires that are 100% flat proof. Honest.

Again, thanks for coming along. We spoofed a little. Sorry to not find a single snapper for you like the other day, when it looked like a Snapper Convention. Now I have to go and check myself for ticks and I seem to be scratchy, all over.......

Mike

Post Script To The Post Script:

Well, I know everyone is dissapointed that I failed in my quest to find one Snapping Turtle. So, for the education of all, I've enclosed a highly controlled, laboratory-like experiment showing the clamping/chomping/tearing/ripping force of the Snapping Turtle. Take note of the care the expert Reptilologist displays around the vicious creature. I certainly don't recommend anyone try this at home; except of course at a party where you've invited that one neighbor who has been a right pain in your behind over the past dozen years or so......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F57z6ya-rnA&t=144s

FB&H rider
    As usual Mike, a brilliant foray into the strange (and slightly psychotic) world of the towpath traveler!

Great to see everyone's contributions as well.

This Sat I hope to have a crew of four up on the Mt for a ride before I head off eastward for a week or so.

My truck reportedly made landfall today so when I return from my journey I'll head to the port to liberate it and in turn my horizons for finding new trails will increase exponentially.

I suspect my lovely bride is only partially happy for me as it means even more time out on the trails (and not-trails through the woods).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mike great series, I like that you give us the place names so I can google map it and get an idea of were you are riding.

Good to see you made it home alive with fingers intact

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Pepper, just watched a cool video on BIKEPACKING.com on bike packing the Trans Germany trail. Seems like a great ride, I am sure the good bride won't mind if you disappear for a week or so

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mike strikes again! Thanks for the report with all it's pics to compliment the story. As always, nicely played!!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Testing an interesting and unusual film, I did a few pix of Sumo the other day. I liked this one a lot:

enjoy!
    G

mtbr member

Fat Biking and health

Evening Gents
    Friday arvo here. Quick beach ride and swell check.
    It is going to be on tomorrow
    Shots from the lookout of the Indian Ocean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G bringing the photo skills up a few levels, very nice.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Twimby, my your winds be offshore

Nice images.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi Twimby, my your winds be offshore

Nice images.

OZ.
    Thanks Oz, light NE, about as offshore as you get. Crazy start to winter, no rain, still low 20's (C) each day. Riding in shorts and T shirt, but shorts all year here.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Twimby, shorts are year round here in Colorado too, just sayin!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Twimby, shorts are year round here in Colorado too, just sayin!
    You Coloradians are more climitised than us. No snow this side of Oz. Last time it snowed here, Mammoths were wondering around.
    Did not see snow until I was 25 and that was Lake Tahoe. When we were in Colorado around July same year it was pretty hot and humid and that was up in Boulder

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    You did it wrong! You needed to come up into the high country where humidity is 10-20% lest it's late July into early August when the monsoons come through. "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes" is a very true statement, indeed! That's when it gets humid. Mammoths were discovered a few years ago in Snowmass Village during excavation for a small reservoir. That project was delayed and has not resumed.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    We did a three day hike up high. Amazing!!. Except for the mosquitoes at dusk.
    Travelled around the US for 6 months in 85 in a Kombi, crossed coast to coast 3 times, plus Baha, for some waves.

Doctor Pepper, Surly in Oz, Wade: Glad you enjoyed it. I was really hoping to come acrossa few Snappers up near the bridge; but my gut feeling told me I truly missed out by not having my camera the other morning's ride.

OldBear: missing in action, again? He still owes us some pictures promised 2 months ago! Old buddy, get that ride report thing going again. It was YOU who got my own ride and health reports going on your thread. Now, look how this thing has taken off. Don't slack off on us now.

OLDBEAR: When you read this, PM me. I've something to ask you.

Twimby and Gene In Houston: Nice pictures. Please keep them coming. Also, continue to let us know how fatbiking has changed your health around, too.

Off to do a morning ride, maybe a 35 miler down to Riverside Marina to look at more boats I could never afford to own. There are rumors that an expedition to the northern reaches of the D&L Canal are in the offing........in search of the Deadly Venomous Hissing Canadian Goose.......

mtbr member
    Good Morning tribe!

@wade: Down here I think I've only had on long pants twice.

@Mike: wow , really good posts! When you encounter the snapper at least you don't have the common snapper's nastier cousin, the Alligator snapping turtle. They can be very aggressive and have been known to take apart VW beetles.

Ok here's the scoop. My eyes are infected. If I go out for a ride it causes pain and massive itching even with sunglasses on. But i try to persevre and get a couple miles in.

I got out at 6:45am and headed to the park. Along the way, I met up with a fellow on a fat-bike. He just got it used of the interweb. It is a GBEM pro. Blue likes his cousin. Eric is the owners name and he paid six hundred. Needs to upgrade the tires, as it still has its originals. But I am digressing, he was commuting to his job over in the next town. He used to ride on a road bike but he wanted some cush.

Anyway, got the ride in and I was solo. Took my time just putzing around and headed home.

Health report June 2017. Weight is coming off nicely. I am now at 250#. BP good. Blood work, no problems except for my potassium levels. I take a supplement every morining. Diabetes wise my glucose is running between 100-120. Of course it's managed with long acting insulin and humalog prn. It's Been a weird fascinating trip.

Until Tomorrow.
    OLDBEAR
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

Fred: PM sent. I'll reply later when I get back from my run. Sorry to hear of the eyes bugging you. Your ride reports are truly missed from this perspective and I want you to know that. Lotta people rooting for you and all the same, I hope a lotta people are rooting for those of us with our own set of issues dealt with on a daily basis!

I hope you had a chance to look at that YouTube video link I supplied. Favorite quote? Screaming.....AHHHHHHH! HE MISSED THE WOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This gentleman does a similar experiment with an Alligator Snapping Turtle; you just have to check that one out. Yes, there too, things don't work out to plan! Fearsome looking creatures, the Alligator and Common Snapping Turtle!!

mtbr member
    Nice ride Towpath, I ran across a turtle too.

When you ride on a trail called the dump, somehow a little Sanford & Son music seemed appropriate.

https://youtu.be/EKb9VWMnkWU

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mex nice video, dump seems a bit harsh of a name looks like a good place to ride.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Travel all over the country side...

Hi everyone,

Travel all of the countryside...

So went the theme song of one of the first travel shows on Australian tv back in the late 70's. It was by the Leyland Brothers from my home town of Newcastle. And the more I ride the fat bike the more it feels like the Land Rover they travelled all around OZ in. The brothers story is worth a google if you have time.

The trails around here are still wet so I headed out to a spot that I have only ridden to a few times. It started out through the trails near home through the rain forrest boardwalk.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08872.jpg

This time I followed it around to the end and came out along the lake shore, as you can see the skies threatened rain.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08873.jpg

I have to run a road section to join up to a popular bike/walking trail that follows the Lake shore. The hill in the background was the destination of todays ride.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08896.jpg

To get to the top of that hill requires two steep road climbs and then the trail to the top is brutal.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08876.jpg

Your bike would have been real handy Mike

Still the view from halfway up takes your mind off the wall in front of you.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08877.jpg

And once you make the top its all worth while.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08880.jpg

Heading down the other side it starts out with promise.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08888.jpg

However as the trails enters the woods it drops away is washed out and rocky. I normally get off the bike and walk but the fat bike gave me the confidence to ride it for the first time. I was happy to clear it without putting a foot down.

Soon I was back on the Lakeside bike path and heading for home.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08889.jpg

One last photo of the "Land Rover" enjoying the view.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08892.jpg

So a great morning out and even though it was only a 30 km ride the brutal climbs left a sting in the legs.

Have a good weekend and get a ride if you can.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi Mex nice video, dump seems a bit harsh of a name looks like a good place to ride.

OZ.
    Part of the trail rides over a dump full of construction debris. That drop in in the beginning is an old piece of pavement. But it is very nice.

That's a great view. Love the blue sky and blue sea.

Iliketexmex: I like your video and of course the accompanying music from an old and loved tv show. I've no idea how long it took you to do it, but I can imagine it took a long time to frame each shot, set the camera up and then pedal into and out of the scene. Outstanding work! I know nothing about video and this digital medium, but I can sure appreciate the time it must have taken to have created that video.

Surly in Oz: No doubt, the Yamaha drive would have gotten you to the top without a sweat; but I can tell, that is one steep climb. One more time, a beautiful series of photos on what I think looks like heaven on earth. Thanks for sharing your ride and your beautiful country with the rest of us.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I've been a bikeless lurker for a while on this thread, but finally took the plunge!

I'm a 48 year old who used to be pretty active, but have been sat down by back issues for most of the past 3 years. Managed to gain about 60 lbs. in that time and have been miserable not being able to be active at all.

I probably won't be riding any black diamond trails right away, but light trail riding and bike path trips at first, until I get my core strength back and drop some weight.

Glad to see a pretty active group on this thread... looking forward to getting back on two (unmotorized) wheels.

Fat Biking and health-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    FatGuyFatBike: welcome to the nut house, nice bike. I have a Gravity too, but the Bullseye Monster. If you ever decide to add a suspension fork, the tapered head tube will give you high quality options. Look forward to seeing your travels and hearing about your progress towards better health. Fat biking is the most fun way to do it.

Towpath: the video looks like more work than it is. I have three cameras (all LIC EGOs, they're affordable and take reasonable quality shots) and three little tripods (plus the chest mount). It all fits in my backpack. If you know the trail and know what you want to shoot it doesn't add much time. The turtle on the trail was a surprise addition I hadn't planned on. The big thing is I enjoy playing around with video editing software. It is nice to relive the ride in the evening or during really bad weather.

FB&H rider
    FatGuyFatBike,
    Welcome!! Take it easy, have fun!
    I'm packing for my trip, so no time to add photos, but was able to get a crew of 5 to ride Mt Taunus today - the 'new' three guys all had regular mt bikes and we all had a blast! A few times my buddy and I took off across the woods off trail and the mtb guys just shook their heads smiling. As usual the 'smiles per hour' phrase was apropos.
    Great shots OZ and thanks for sharing Tex - great stuff!

BTW, on the Fat bikes and health theme I've had several folks comment recently on lost weight... not too sure myself but something must be working!
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

FatGuyFatBike: Welcome to the OldBear's thread! Looking forward to your ride reports and positive health gained back.

TexMex: Appreciate the inside info of how you make those great shots happen!

DoctorPepper: Sounds like an outstanding time!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Awesome pics and videos guys. I've been off the bike for a few days while I am healing up. Nothing serious just doctor's orders until Wednesday. I'm doing a weekend bike trip with some friends next month. We're leaning towards riding the GAP again, so I've been doing some maintenance on the Vaya while I am " grounded" from riding.

mtbr member
    Great stories and pictures.
    Mike let m know you plan to run into Sir Paul along the long and winding trails of the canal. I want an autograph.

I've been riding the PT recumbent bike at the end of each the session for 10 minutes. It's easier. I've tried my bike and it's still a little tight at the top of the cycle. I'm going to my bike shop this week to get the seat in a position so I can ride. I will also have to raise the handlebars to make sure my back doesn't get cranky again since I can't so my core workout yet with my knee replacement.
    Working hard to get back. I will keep you posted.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FatGuyFatBike View Post
    I've been a bikeless lurker for a while on this thread, but finally took the plunge!

I'm a 48 year old who used to be pretty active, but have been sat down by back issues for most of the past 3 years. Managed to gain about 60 lbs. in that time and have been miserable not being able to be active at all.

I probably won't be riding any black diamond trails right away, but light trail riding and bike path trips at first, until I get my core strength back and drop some weight.

Glad to see a pretty active group on this thread... looking forward to getting back on two (unmotorized) wheels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	1142500
    FatGuy, welcome to the Bear Channel! Glad to hear you are taking the challenge to improvement. Said it before, I'll say it again, work your way up! You'll be surprised at how
    noticeable gains in stamina and endurance are. The weight will start shedding with progression and it all takes time. Oh yeah, monitor intake, it makes a huge difference to
    mind what goes in. Now you get to do ride and progress reports!

I see Tex went turtle hunting!

Chief!! Dial that thing in and see how it goes. Just take it slow and follow Doc's orders... Mend well, my friend!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Chief: Are you running a 175 crank? Would a 170 help? I've seen as small as 165, it might get you over the top a little sooner.
    Last edited by iliketexmex; 5 Days Ago at 08:48 AM. Reason: Clarification

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Hallo guy! Nice bike there.

While I have a little electric motor in my Sumo, I have been switching it off more and more as my legs become more fit. My range and confidence running non-powered is inching upwards, ride by ride. The motor is enabling: made it possible for me to get back in at all, and do longer rides now.

It's all good, the important thing to be out riding and working the body. It's blistering hot today for around here ... I took a modest ride of just under five miles this morning before nine am and it was already up to 80F when I got back. It's currently about 100F outside ... that's a bit warm for me. I had the AC on to cool the place down for a bit, and it's holding steady a bit more comfortably than that with everything sealed up.

Yesterday I did 12 miles and temps peaked at just under 80F. Both rides very nice, actually.

The problem is that the better the rides get, the less there is to say.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    Chief: Are you running a 175 crank? Would a 170 help? I've seen as small as 165, it might get you over the top a little sooner.
    I have it on my list to discuss..... smaller crank for a time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi FatGuyFatBike, now known to me as Guy

Hope you have fun as you start your fat Biking journey, be sure to post along with us.

Terry and Chief you will be riding again with a smile on your face soon.

The heat is on G time to get up early and cruise as the sun rises.

And thanks Mike I do live in a special place I am very lucky. I was inspired to share it along the lines of your posts, I am pleased that people seem to enjoy them.

If you all feel like an adventure sometimes check out the "Bike Wanderer" website it has an amazing set of reports from one incredible bike journey Iohn Gueoguiev is taking at the moment. It takes me to places I can only dream about, I found his videos on Youtube but the his website is even better.

It really is a must see, plenty of fat biking adventure, just give yourself some time as is a great site. I you might want to go for a ride soon after

Down here it has raining the last two day's should get a chance to ride tomorrow.

OZ.

Surly, thank you for that tip about "Bike Wanderer", I just started it now and it just drags you in. Tuktoyaktuk....that rang a bell. Don Starkell was a famous canadian adventurer who paddled in a canoe, with his sons, from their home in Winnipeg, all the way to the end of their journey at the mouth of the Amazon River. Paddle to the Amazon is the book and it's a great read. He later followed that up with a journey in the arctic waters in his kayak and is documented in his book "Paddle to the Arctic". His goal was Tuktoyaktuk. He nearly froze to death some 30 miles to that town, his kayak getting caught in an early onset of winter in the arctic summer of his journey.

Saturday and Sunday's ride reports: Some 76 miles total road running in tropical-like high heat and humidity conditions. Saturday, I should have stayed put instead of heading out, for 3 miles in, the first monsoon-like rain hit, then moved out. Later on, it got so bad that had I pedaled off into the Delaware River, I'd have not gotten any more wet.

No shorts or grounds, no arcing and sparking, but the amount of rain falling was ridiculous enoughto have that on my mind. It would not be a stretch to estimate 2-3 inches fell in short order, judging by the amount of sand and rocks on cross roads, washing onto the main road. At 18 mph, the Jumbo Jims have a terrific way of putting a stream of water right in your face, so I'd often have to turn my head off center of the bike and to the right, to see where I was headed.

Monday might be a rest day. Severe weather is predicted this afternoon, flash flooding and damaging winds predicted in our area.

mtbr member

Welcome and hail fatguyfatbike, love to see another brother join in the fun. I own two GBEM. The first, Ryback, was my only ride for over two years. He's got 3000 miles on him and is enjoying being the fatbike patriarch in semi-retiremen. ( it's Cubbie's bike now) other one is a GBEM Pro I got in December 2016. I went with the pro because at 65 my arthritic joints needed a break, and the Bluto up front keeps me and my joints happy.

This mornings ride report is brought to you by Fatbikers lodge number one. AKA fat biking and health. (Cue Sweet Home Alabama)
    Yesterday we went down to the Gulf and rode the beaches. First time on sugar white sand. We rode down the beach and boy it was fun dropped my psidown to 6psi up front and 8psi the rear. We just noodled around watching the surf avoiding the sea turtles nestingnesting areas. Ryback prrformed great and Blue ( my other fatty handles great in this sand. We rode out and back for around an hour. We ran into another couple trying to ride some 'head cruisers' on the sand..They were struggling pushing their bikes through the sand. I asked them why they were trying to ride and their response was classic, "Because they're beach cruisers". Followed up with "boy those tires are big!". Which led to my 'sales pitch' for fatbikes and fatbike riding. To say the least they were impressed. I gave them some brands of fatbikes that they might consider for their beach riding. The husband, a retiree from Chicago asked if he could try one of ours. Needlesz to be came back with a huge smile on his face.

Today's ride. Got out at 5:30am and headed to my private playground. (Kinda like my private Idaho) it had rained last night but it really effect the trail. I rode until 7:30 and packed it in. My eyes are less sore and funny soooo I decided tonoush the envelope and after I rode out to my turning point I just 'put the hammer down. I haven't installed a cycling computer yet because, eh umm, i really don't want to use one anymore.

Until Later
    OLDBEAR
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Good to see you out and about Bear, looks like you might have converted another to the world of fat biking.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Had four days off and its rains for three of them...

Hi everyone, I was very happy when the roster went up at work a few weeks ago and I noticed that I had four days off in a row

With the wife at work that meant ride time for me, sadly It managed to rain on three of those days

The rain cleared this morning and the only ride options were the road or the Lake side bike path. Its the same one from my last ride report, however this time I would follow it to the end.

The bike of choice was the franken bike specialised, as I am still trying out handle bar setups for my forthcoming bike build. And with no trails fit to ride the Fat Bike was out.

All these images are from the end of the path just before I turned for home.

Some people around here have way to much money.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08918.jpg

Plenty of money but no time to use it I suppose.

The hill in the background is the one I rode over last time.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08912.jpg

Turn around 180 dec here and the local Art Gallery is right on the Lake shore.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08917.jpg

Right at the end of the point now and another view of the hill.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08928.jpg

The path has stopped, however there is a small trail along the grass that takes you along the shore to a spot where I can see my home riding hill in the distance.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08931.jpg

That green point sticking out from the left is home, about 17 km's from here by road.

And the last shot of the local fisherman having a afternoon nap.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08934.jpg

A fun ride when I thought that I was going to miss out again today. And the handle bar set up that I tried caused me as much grief as the last attempt, seems like the new bike will run Jones Loop Bars. Have those on my commuter bike so we will see.

Good riding to all.

OZ.
    Last edited by Surly in OZ; 3 Days Ago at 11:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Some nice photos there, OZ. I really should stop and snap a few pix now and the as I go about, but I'm still in the "I can't stop because I'm grinning too hard" stage of this stuff.

It's been blast-furnace hot here for the past couple of days. I was going to go out yesterday evening after the heat let up, but it didn't until after sunset and I don't like to ride at night. This morning was cool and fresh outside, I figured I'd ride over to the Saturday morning breakfast spot down by Guadalupe River Park and then back home.

Well, I kinda got curious to see where the Guadalupe River Trail actually led to in the northbound direction, since I'd never ridden it past the airport, and after breakfast I just headed back north and ran the trail all the way to the trail head in Alviso. A lovely ride indeed, with the amusing activity of getting around the two service tractors trimming the brush on both sides of the trail at one point.

A couple of shunt moves on surface streets in Alviso and I hooked up with the San Tomas Creek Trail and followed that back south to Santa Clara. Here's the circuit:

Quite the nice ride! Plenty of battery left too, I could do double that ride and still have power to spare.

Temp was up to 84 by the time I arrived home and that shower felt great...

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    It was 8 weeks ago today I last rode my bike. Recovery from knee replacement surgery has kept me occupied. I've been doing 10 minutes at the end of PT on a recumbent bike there. It started slowly and increased slightly. There is a clicking in the joint (normal) and it tends to get sore.
    Today I took my bike to my LBS. Mike (owner) of Firehouse Cycles in Yardley PA had lots of questions ... LOL, mostly about the surgery and recovery. We adjusted my Fuse 6 fattie to get me on it with minor discomfort. We adjusted the seat (in all areas up- moved it up and forward) and adjusted the dropper post to get me on the bike. I pedaled a little around the shop. I took it home and got out for a little ride. I promised my wife I'd only do 3 miles or so since I've been riding 2+ in rehab. Well after little discomfort and my knee settled down I rode for 3.64 miles. It felt SO good to be back on a bike. I'm a lil tender and I do my afternoon workout to loosen it up. No ice until later.
    Progress. Now to rebuild a base.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Chief500:

Excellent! Great to hear that!
    Congratulations!

G

mtbr member
    That's the stuff Chief!
    Last edited by iliketexmex; 2 Days Ago at 08:21 PM. Reason: Spell check

mtbr member

Expanding my map

Rode in Tennessee for the first time since beginning this health kick. The climbs were really tough. It was in the Defeated Creek Recreation Area, East of Nashville. The trail was badly overgrown in places and the local bike shop guy warned me about ticks and snakes (they have poisonous ones here that apparently like to lay on the trails). I did not ride where I couldn't see the trail, which meant some backtracking. I still got to the top (I think). It was a very challenging ride, the first 1.5 miles are a straight grind, right up the hill. I struggled but I know I couldn't have done this at all six months ago. Fat Biking and health-image.jpegFat Biking and health-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Another day, another breakfast ride.

Today came up cool and fresh out, perfect riding weather. I had arranged to meet my friend Thomas at the 'usual spot' down by Guadalupe River Park. A quick sprint there through the morning traffic mayhem as usual.

Thomas is on a pedal-power-only bike and is recovering from heart surgery. "Please don't leave me too far behind!" ... as if I would. I think it's great he's getting out there and doing a lot of exercise! This was his first longish ride on the bicycle since the procedure, probably a total of 8 miles for him.

So we hopped back onto Guadalupe River Trail together after we met and I turned Sumo's power OFF. We took a three mile bimble through the trail that way. One of the things I've come to really appreciate about Sumo is that when used this waypower off, just my legs and the gearing to work withit is a bit heavy but perfectly usable due to the excellent gearing they've set it up with. I had no problems whatever riding up and down the hills and rills of the park trails at 5 to 8 mph with Thomas: it's just as much fun and just as pleasant as maintaining a brisk 17-18 mph 'going places!' pace with the power engaged.

Thomas kept the pace up nicely, slowing appreciably only at the one steep point of the path where he really needed his lowest gear and to stand on the pedals for a bit. With Sumo I could cheat easily and just turn on Econ mode and pedal up with the motor taking up the slack, but I downshifted to 2nd and had no problem pedaling up at the same pace.

We parted after breakfast and I took yet another variation on my route home with power engaged. All up, about an hour of cycling and about twelve and half miles total for me ... I see that this is now becoming my minimum 'nice day ride' now.

onwards!
    G

(Oh yes: checked myself on the scale this morning. Down another 1.5 lbs. Woo hoo! Wasting away to a fat bastid! )

Outstanding ride and fitness reports, everybody!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Chief great to hear that you are on your way back. Bet that ride outside felt great.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mex, good to challenge yourself, maybe not with snakes though

Thats a great photo, looks like a great place to ride.

Just think where you will be in another six months on the bike, their will be no stopping you.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G, thats great news on the weight loss, even better getting friends on the bike as well. Always great to have a ride buddy or two for day's when the motivation dips a little.

All you guy's seem to be enjoying the summer season, new trails, weight loss and fitness improving and the most important thing smiles all round.

Take every chance for a ride long or short, old trails or new and enjoy what time we have.

OZ.

mtbr member

Fat Biking and health

Winter Solstice for me and Oz last night
    It actually rained as well, got a little wet, on a night ride
    Not a very good shot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thursday's Ride Report:

Haibike Full FatSix

Destination: Homebase, southbound to Riverside Marina, Delran, New Jersey and Back.

Mileage: 38.1 miles
    Total Odometer Mileage: 2013.0
    Motor Setting: Standard all the way.
    Average Speed/Maximum Speed:13.5/19.5 mph
    38% Battery Charge Remaining/Approximately 20 miles left on Standard Motor setting.
    Weather: Mostly sunny. Slight breeze. Low to moderate Humidity. 88 degrees or so at the end of the ride.
    Road Surface: 99.999 percent asphalt with exception of a bit of riding inside the marina boat yard.

Notes: I've not been on this run since last holing my rear tire tube, picking up a large screw. So with a more moderate riding pace and a more vigilant lookout ahead, off I went.........This was also the first ride for my newest acquisition: a Timber! cycling bell. This bell is designed like a cowbell. It mounts to the handlebar. There are 3-4 settings, off-slight bell--moderate bell sound--louder bell sound. Any bump in the road jingles the bell. Even with the Bluto opened up, any bump has it jingling.

Even on a smooth surface, it's possible to jingle the bell to alert bikers pedestrians simply by a quick shaking of the handlebards, back and forth, to set the bell to ringing. The Fatboy Towpath Traveler has a 50 dollar SpurCycle bell on her and that one is truly top of the line. However, the Timber! bell does all the work for you; and at that, it is such a nice and pleasant sound; almost like a wind-chime type sound. Highly recommended by yours truly. I would not mind getting another to outfit the Fatboy! Here's a review from MTBR: Timber Mountain Bike Bell: The polite way to pass - Mtbr.com

Never mind some of the jaded, been-there-done-that posts by folks who opinionate but don't actually own this thing. I pedal often on towpaths filled with lots of walkers and bikers and I can see this thing being the pleasant alternative to the simple DING!! of the SpurCycle or similar bells. And I'm certainly not one to go up and down trails yelling out "On Your LEFT!" A nice, pleasant wind chime can help brighten the day for those about to be passed. $22.00 bucks, a great investment......

Mike

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mike, my OOOOGGGAAAHHH horn works very well. In fact, I used it today when a lady was walking like she was in the exorcist with her head nearly 180 with the direction her body was traveling. She about jumped outta her skin but averted an accident. Comes stock on all non-mute humans...

I am on the lookout for some of those lil brass bells that are from India cause they slip onto the derailleur cable and jingle softly full time. Haven't had em in a long time, but cheap and reliable. The lil cowbell sounds kinda fun. Rather nice addition.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

Skull Buster

Well today I rode a place where the only reason to make noise is to scare away the animals before they jump up and scare you. I literally could hear the heaving breath of a buck as it jumped out of the trail-side brush and down the hill right as I went by. I must have woken him up. He startled me as much as I startled him. I nearly wrecked.

The trail is called Skull Buster, it is between Lexington, KY and Cinncinati. There wasn't a soul out there, no traffic noise, not even an aircraft. It was awesome. It might be busier normally, but I was riding during a weekday and just before the arrival of a storm. I rode only one of the loops because I had an afternoon conference call (but the call was cancelled). I am sure the other loops are just as nice.
    Fat Biking and health-file.jpgFat Biking and health-file3.jpgFat Biking and health-file2.jpg(Note the skull in the tree,
    I guess that is the trail namesake) Fat Biking and health-file1.jpg

Wade: Yep, highly recommended, quite simple in design, unobtrusive and a pleasant sound. I kept it on for the entire ride. And yes, it get's attention!

TexMex: What's interesting to me in those photos is that area seems to have less overgrowth than the areas I ride on; towpath-wise. Especially the second photo, inside the forest. For an area below the Mason Dixon line, I thought it'd be a heck of a lot more overgrown. That photo seems like it was taken in early May or so, up here in NJ.

Here in NJ, poison ivy likes to take root on a lot of trees in remote locations. No leaning the bike against anything in the warm weather months, off trail....

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    No ride today for me, so far anyway. Temperature passed 75F by 6:30 am and I had several drive-to appointments to manage today. Most of the day has been a brutal 96-98F. Left the top up on the car and ran the AC... I'd rather not feel like I've been on a grille all day.

The only problem with bicycle bells and horns these days is the fact that 90% of the pedestrians in the way have headphones on with music playing too loudly. Takes three or four 'dings' of my bell before I get that little involuntary twitch that means they've heard it.

It's already past five and sunset isn't until about 8:30 tonight, there's a chance I'll get out for a short ride still. I'll be going out first thing in the morning again anyway.

G

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    TexMex: What's interesting to me in those photos is that area seems to have less overgrowth than the areas I ride on; towpath-wise. Especially the second photo, inside the forest. For an area below the Mason Dixon line, I thought it'd be a heck of a lot more overgrown. That photo seems like it was taken in early May or so, up here in NJ.

Here in NJ, poison ivy likes to take root on a lot of trees in remote locations. No leaning the bike against anything in the warm weather months, off trail....
    That was the only open spot where you could actually get a picture of the terrain. I am not sure why it was so open but you can see the trail. Most of it was pretty bushy and poison ivy like you describe, but that is hard to compose a good picture (look, here is a green mass of indiscernible vegetation). That deer I spooked was only 5' off the trail and I literally did not see him until he was leaping into the air. I will give the trail crews credit, they looked like they freshly cleared about a mile of the trail which meant for at least one of the five miles my shins weren't getting whacked.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    No ride today for me, so far anyway. Temperature passed 75F by 6:30 am and I had several drive-to appointments to manage today. Most of the day has been a brutal 96-98F. Left the top up on the car and ran the AC... I'd rather not feel like I've been on a grille all day.

The only problem with bicycle bells and horns these days is the fact that 90% of the pedestrians in the way have headphones on with music playing too loudly. Takes three or four 'dings' of my bell before I get that little involuntary twitch that means they've heard it.

It's already past five and sunset isn't until about 8:30 tonight, there's a chance I'll get out for a short ride still. I'll be going out first thing in the morning again anyway.

G
    OOOGGGAAAHHH works very well in those circumstances. The lil brass bells are for being polite.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mex that looks great to me.

Watch out for the jumping Deer though, a Mountain biker down Canberra way was knocked out cold on the trail but a large Kangaroo a while ago. He didn't see it coming and woke up with a few scratch marks from Skippy as well.

Enjoy your weekend all.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    OOOGGGAAAHHH works very well in those circumstances. The lil brass bells are for being polite.
    I'm just not sure where on the bike I'm going to find room for a tugboat fog horn...

G

(It's a lovely 62F out right now. Time for a ride! )

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    I'm just not sure where on the bike I'm going to find room for a tugboat fog horn...

G

(It's a lovely 62F out right now. Time for a ride! )
    lol, when you get on a bike the ooogah horn is automatically equipped. Complete with volume control... Your voice works very well.

Beep beep, honk honk, oogah oogah!

Mike's used some very nice bells on his bikes. In the past I've used a little brass bell positioned on a control cable with O rings to keep it positioned. The mild jingle is nearly constant and a lil too polite.

On another note, the Cattilac has shipped!! Looking forward to building up the new bike and giving a proper shakedown. Should be interesting to ride a full squish +. Pix to follow...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    This will clear the way: Kleinn HK4 Quad Air Horn Kit

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    This will clear the way: Kleinn HK4 Quad Air Horn Kit
    One problem with that setup on a bicycle is that I'll be deaf after I press the button. Not sure that's a good outcome. :|

Anyway, it was a lovely 11 mile ride this morning. Roused Thomas so we met at Panera again and had a bit of breakfast and chat. Temps are just now up to 75 again, it was the right time for a ride.

G

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637