Thanks.
    Amazing pic and cool story!
    Might be buying a pedal wrench too.
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Pepper, pedals can be very tight so the use of a 6mm on them mostly will not offer the torque necessary. A pedal wrench is a worthy investment, indeed. Keep in mind, they are left hand thread.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Pepper, pedals can be very tight so the use of a 6mm on them mostly will not offer the torque necessary. A pedal wrench is a worthy investment, indeed. Keep in mind, they are left hand thread.
    I always put my pedals on and off with a 6mm wrench. Then again, I use grease and don't over-tighten them. If they are really tight, a pedal wrench or cheater bar may be in order. Just make sure you are turning the right direction! One side is normal right hand threaded, and the other is left hand threaded. I don't remember which is which though, sorry!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Sometimes the bike shops will over tighten pedals and make it a service nightmare. Many have no idea that copper antisieze works wonders. Never buy copper antisieze at a bike shop. Products like Ti Prep are absurdly overpriced and you can get a lifetime supply at the auto parts stores.

ny, the issue is these guys didn't install their pedals... It's kinda like taking your car in for tires and the shop just tightens the lug nuts with an impact. The common problem shows on street corners where you'll find a lug nut with a broken stud in it from time to time. No bueno!!

I'm with ya on the install with 6mm. Prevents over torquing the damn things. lightly lubing makes life grand when ya go to remove em in the future.

On to Sarge's play time...

Sarge and I spent some hours riding wheelies and manuals once again! I love the huge balance widow this bike possesses. It's amazing when the front end feels weightless. Just can't get enough of playing with a bike. Didn't really pay mind to distance ridden but passing the lil park along the way and rolling 50 yards of manual turned some melons, indeed. Passing the park does require a helmet as the frisbee golfers are prolific and a stray frisbee is not unusual.
    Shoulda brought the dog to intercept em.

The mayor will be getting out and playing in the dirt over the next couple days. It's a good time getting trialsy with a pair of JJ 4.8's. They stick to everything so well. Oh yeah, and they are springy too! Come to think of it, the Mayor is a wheelie factory too. Hmmm. Euphoric, indeed! Two favorite drugs, endorphins and adrenaline. Not in any particular order, but gonna enjoy em lots this summer as I impatiently wait for the bike parks to open.

Bike parks!! Yay, bike parks...

Valhalla should prove to be better again with the usual additions and improvements done every off season. My Rune is waiting impatiently too. Don't remember how to ride tires less than 3.0, but I hear it's like riding a bike! :/ Can't wait to get that lil ripper up there and hit the rail trail. Sarge and the Mayor have been down the rail trail and gotta say, it was damn fun! Already put in for a season pass. After 15 days of riding, the pass is essentially on them based on the daily pass rate vs. the cost of the season pass.... What the hell, I'm up in the neighborhood on business and when business is done there's bike involved business that must be attended to! After all, the fuel has been burned to go the 120 mile round trip. Maximize, you betcha!!!
    Doctor recommended...

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I always put my pedals on and off with a 6mm wrench. Then again, I use grease and don't over-tighten them. If they are really tight, a pedal wrench or cheater bar may be in order. Just make sure you are turning the right direction! One side is normal right hand threaded, and the other is left hand threaded. I don't remember which is which though, sorry!
    Left side is left-hand thread. Here's the easy way to remove pedals: Put your crank arm horizontal and facing forward. Put the wrench on the pedal facing backward. Push down on the wrench. Works on both sides and you'll get it right every time.

mtbr member
    I had a reprieve from traveling for a bit and it was nice to ride at home. Last week I had travel a couple days to Aguascalientes Mexico for work. As I was riding around seeing the mountains in the area I couldn't help but think "this would be a fun place to ride a fat bike"... I'm starting to think I might have a problem.

This week's trip is Lansing Michigan and this evening I rode Anderson Park. It's not new to me, but I think it is fun. If I get time later in the week I will explore a new one. I cropped out the guy across the river who was taking a break from his kayaking to relieve himself on the opposite bank. I didn't notice him until I got back to the hotel and took a closer look.Fat Biking and health-image.jpg

What new places are you all scoping out? How is Chief feeling? What's the scoop with old bear?

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Left side is left-hand thread. Here's the easy way to remove pedals: Put your crank arm horizontal and facing forward. Put the wrench on the pedal facing backward. Push down on the wrench. Works on both sides and you'll get it right every time.
    Thanks guys for the feedback... at least I know I was doing it correctly... I did feel like I was trying to loosen an impact-tightened lug nut lol. I bought a pedal wrench and it should be on its way...
    Banshee with the jokes! (I don't remember how to ride less than 4.0 either).... wish I could join you some time... I keep trying to relearn how to do manuals and wheelies and stuff but after that flipover I guess I'm just a little tentative.
    Tex, great to see the pics and hear of the travels.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Tex, good to hear of your addiction! Good stuff, indeed. Keep up the ride and new adventures.

Pepper, pedals are something I just remove without a second thought. Thanks for chiming in, Radair! Helps a great deal to get the info to peeps.
    On the wheelie side of things, just start off slowly and work your way back into it. Can be very rewarding when you get back in the groove.

As for the Bear, I'll look him up tomorrow and find out what gives.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Todays ride...

Hi everyone in the best traditions of Mike I would like to add a ride report of todays ride.

It starts from home and a few kilometres later sees me join the Fernleigh Track, its a 17km rail trail. From start to finish you basically ride through a tunnel of trees with only bird song for company.

Towards the end you do go through a real tunnel.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08568.jpg

Down hill from here and some road k's gets me to Newcastle harbour, normally I ride along it but today we are crossing it on the ferry to Stockton Beach.

Waiting.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08573.jpg

Onboard.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08577.jpg

Its only a short trip and once on the other side a bike path takes you along the river, in this case towards the Sea.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08580.jpg

A nice view of the city of Newcastle, the early cloud was going to clear and thats what happened.

The path carries onto the North Breakwater of the harbour. I followed it to the end, and the next stop from here would be New Zealand.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08611.jpg

From this next angle you can see the hills of Nelsons Bay in the far distance.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08593.jpg

The full ride of Stockton Beach is something I have planned, but thats 32 km.s of very soft sand to cover.

One day, part two following.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Todays ride part two...

As we leave the Breakwall we pass over the watery graves of many ships wrecked on the "Oyster Bank" the wall was built to protect ships from running aground. It was built over the remains of those earlier lost.

One remains visible today the Adolphe, lost in 1904 its bones remind us of the others lost in time.

From the wall.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08585.jpg

A viewing platform has been built above it, to allow you to see into the remains.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08622.jpg

Don't know if you will be able to read this.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08625.jpg

If not google is your friend

Off the wall and onto the reason for todays ride. I wanted to get an idea of the sand conditions on Stockton beach. Last winters storms removed vast amounts of sand that sadly has not yet returned. The riding was very tough, with the beach sloping sharply into the sea. And the flat sand super soft, indeed I passed one couple digging their 4wd out from deep sand.

I rode for 6 kms and started looking for an exit. I knew that Fort Wallace was close to the beach and the road behind. If I went much further it was a long ride beach ride back.

So I headed into the soft dunes when an old lookout post appeared.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08638.jpg

The view back to the Breakwall was great with a Ship leaving the Harbour.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08634.jpg

I followed a track off the beach only to see it disappear. The journey out turned into a bush bash and fence hopping to make the path back to the Ferry.

As I wait for the Ferry to return from Newcastle the sky had cleared and the city glowed by the Hunter river.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08649.jpg

The twenty km home seemed to fly by after the slog of the sand. And as I type this the predicted afternoon rain falls softly...
    Last edited by Surly in OZ; 04-25-2017 at 04:03 AM.

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    Dr Pep: You're welcome! No riding for the next day or so as a big storm/rain front from the south has walked in. Later on today comes the rain with some high winds.

TexMex: Nice pic as the countryside starts to green out.

I always like to use anti-seize or grease on my pedal threads to eliminate or slow down any long term corrosion between the two metals. Cannot imagine why anyone would rifle on a pedal so tight; then again I recall a time I went to do a brake job on my VW and found one of the lug nuts on so tight that my hand tools could not break the torque. Even bent a ratchet wrench in the process.

Surly in Oz: Many thanks for the pictures of home, throughly enjoyed them. Looking forward to your Stockton Beach expedition. To ready myself, I did some reading up on it and it sounds like a very interesting trip to make, though I suspect you won't be going too far into the ocean waters due to the nearby great white nursery's!

The Adolphe: cannot imagine you get underway from Belgium, only to see the end of your ship so close to her landing point. I admire the rescue effort that saw all of the crew saved. Lovely area, I can smell the ocean breeze from here. Well done!

Mike

FB&H rider
    Fantastic stuff Surly and great pics!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Mike and Pepper, as a side note Mike when I was cleaning the bike after the ride I noticed that the rear tyre had a puncher that the tubeless sealant had blocked. This is my first bike to run tubeless and I am looking to change my mountain bike and commuter bike as well. Cannot believe that I waited so long.

Mind you the setup was easy as I had my LBS do it for me

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes Mike sharks are a thing around these parts, I live near the shores of Lake Macquarie and we have a number of Great White making a home in the Lake at the moment.

There has been a number of attacks on the north coast of NSW over the last few years. And a very large bull shark was caught of my local beach over the weekend.

I don't surf as much as I use to, the wife thinks that riding is safer at the moment, I do too.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Oz, I think Mike is gonna step up his game now! Great job with the pix assisting with the story.
    Doctor recommended...

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Oz, I think Mike is gonna step up his game now! Great job with the pix assisting with the story.
    Indeed, Wade! Personally, I love the perspectives and pictures from everybody here, from their own part of this big world of ours. This is the internet at it's best.

SurlyinOz: Nice to know the tubeless set up worked for you. I imagine that it's something that I may well try in the future. Sharks......a long time ago, the CG sent me off to 3 weeks of emergency medical technician school in Petaluma, California. One day of schooling was spent in the water at Bodega Bay, doing in water CPR techniques and overall rescue training for a person in the water. Little did we know till we got there that the Bay was the breeding ground for the great whites. They explained to us that they had a man with an M-16 rifle....standing by just in case. And they had a warning for us: the first person joking around, yelling "Shark!", would be immediately sent back home to their duty station, no questions asked; so serious do they take the conditions there.

Needless to say, I could not get into and out of the water fast enough; as my mind was elsewhere, looking down at the water, for the rest of the morning and afternoon.

FB&H rider
    Quiet around here....
    My parents flew in from Oregon en route to other travels but will be back in a few weeks for a longer visit.
    I had enough time to take my dad (almost 75) out for a short ride with us alternating on my Trek and my daughter's mtn bike. It was enjoyable to share a nice cruise through the woods. He took a spill crossing a down log but was just fine.
    My Growler should be here when they return so we can both be on a fattie.

Hope everyone is well!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I've been down with a head cold the past couple of days so off the bike.

Some nice photos! thanks!

I've been carrying a camera when I ride but haven't made many photographs. Right now, because of the difficulty I have getting on and off, it's hard to stop and pull out the camera to use a camera. This is improving, another few weeks and it should be a no-issue.

I feel good enough again to do a short ride today. Looking forward to it!

G

Dr Pep: Lots of consecutive days doing the homebase to Delran NJ and back (36 miles total) in the past week. Toss in a few of those and a couple of 10 and 20 mile runs later in the day on top of the 36 mile runs....

One thing of note: On one 10 miler I broke out the Fatboy. Now, I'm either so conditioned and used to the Haibike that I just plain forgot; or I have a severe drag problem with the Fatboy. The particulars for that run:

Total Miles: 10.9 miles
    Average Speed: 10.6 mph
    Max Speed: 20.6
    Total Time: 1 hour 24 minutes.

It just seems that when I "tried" to put the hammer down, the back end just got mushy feeling and nothing much of note happened. It had me wondering how in the hell I did the miles I did in the past 2 plus years riding this bike exclusively, anywhere, anytime. From 20 milers to a few 52 milers to a couple 80 miles; all contained within this thread, on the Fatboy. Hot, humid, awful conditions to downright arctic like frigid.

Even checked the brakes to see if they were dragging. Nope, they were okay. Checked the quick release skewers to see if they were too tight; I thought the back one was a tad bit too tight. Still, no improvement. Conclusion: this electric fat bike has completely warped my perspective of the human powered Fatboy....

mtbr member

Hillsdale Michigan

That's not snow on the trails, it is flower petals.Fat Biking and health-image.jpg.

No Bullsharks here Oz. Just deer, wild turkeys, squirrels, rabbits and a crow that seemed to follow me around.

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    Conclusion: this electric fat bike has completely warped my perspective of the human powered Fatboy....
    Heh, my fear about em!
    Still, glad you gave the Fatboy some love and he gave you some perspective!

My Growler Sir Fatsalot arrived yesterday - VERY fast for APO shipping! SO excited!
    I'll put a teaser here but more to follow. Being such a noob I fear I may need to take to a shop this weekend to set up properly. Don't want to break anything...

The boxes were too big for my car so I had to unbox the wheels in the parking lot...
    Fat Biking and health-growler-15.jpg

lots of bubble wrap, ties, and soft air!
    Fat Biking and health-growler-8.jpg

more to follow ....

That was quick shipping! Best wishes on your new ride, Dr Pep!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice Mex, got to watch out for those crows, could take an eye out

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice Pepper did someone mention kid in a candy store

I would love to pop around and help you build it, however you would possibly end up with some kind of mutant single wheeler

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    We'll never leave Pepper unattended in Toys R Us again!!

Gratz, Pepper!!

Mike's doin it wrong!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Here is the return of yours truly, OLDBEAR.
    I am going to fill y'all in on whats going on here in the not so sunny south. Mama Bear is progressing nicely. The nurse practioner is from her doctor is making a visit next week to discuss her case and write her new prescriptions. She's been given a nice hospital bed that makes her much more comfortable.
    This means that I have free time from noon to 3:00pm.
    So that means more saddle time.
    Today, I took out Blue androde over to my local haunta. I was getting a drink and a couple intheir brand new Trek Staches (29+) came over and we talked for a while. They work at the hospital in the ER and just picked up their bikes today and were trying them out.so we decided to ride thecreek banks for awhile and then an overgrown railroad bed from the days of logging. It was a good time and I thinkni might have some riding partners at last
    Put Blue through his paces and headed home to a spaghetti dinnet
    Until Later
    OLDBEAR
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I cautiously (lazily) didn't go out on the bike again until today, when I was feeling much more up to it.

7.5 miles, about 40 minutes riding time. It was great to be out again, although the temperatures were up into the 90° range. No problem ... stopped at the cafe for water and a cup of coffee, had a good big glass of water back home and a nice shower afterwards.

I rode about half the way with power off. My average speed drops to 9-12 mph, but it proves to me that I can go places even if I run out of battery juice for the assist. The gearing (10 speed cogs) is very wide range. I rarely need the bottom four gears with assist, I guess I'd use them more without.

To my delight, I was able to do all rolling mounts and dismounts today, no laying the bike down to get on and off. That's a biggie to me: means my legs are not only gaining strength, but getting more flexible too.

Sumo felt a little squishy (not unpleasantly or dangerously) coming back so I checked tire pressures this evening. 21 psi front, 23 psi rear ... lost a little from when I last checked them 100 miles ago. I set them up to 25 psi again.

Tomorrow morning I'm riding to the cafe for breakfast with friends, 8 miles each way. Woo hoo!

G

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    I cautiously (lazily) didn't go out on the bike again until today, when I was feeling much more up to it.

7.5 miles, about 40 minutes riding time. It was great to be out again, although the temperatures were up into the 90° range. No problem ... stopped at the cafe for water and a cup of coffee, had a good big glass of water back home and a nice shower afterwards.

I rode about half the way with power off. My average speed drops to 9-12 mph, but it proves to me that I can go places even if I run out of battery juice for the assist. The gearing (10 speed cogs) is very wide range. I rarely need the bottom four gears with assist, I guess I'd use them more without.

To my delight, I was able to do all rolling mounts and dismounts today, no laying the bike down to get on and off. That's a biggie to me: means my legs are not only gaining strength, but getting more flexible too.

Sumo felt a little squishy (not unpleasantly or dangerously) coming back so I checked tire pressures this evening. 21 psi front, 23 psi rear ... lost a little from when I last checked them 100 miles ago. I set them up to 25 psi again.

Tomorrow morning I'm riding to the cafe for breakfast with friends, 8 miles each way. Woo hoo!

G
    Are you riding pavement a lot ramarren? Sounds like quite a bit of psi for a fatty in the dirt. Even when I ride on the road to get to the creek, my front tire is at 8psi and rear at 10psi. I weigh 260 at my tires are a Hbille 4.25 rear and a Snowshoe 4.8 on the front. They make,all kinds of noise like a big 4x4. But I don't have any issues.when I used to ride up in Rolla Missouri, it was a 2 mile trip to the Lion's Club Park where the trails are. When in had my first 'fat bike' a walgoose dolo, in had the tires pretty hard. They wore pretty quick and were replaced by my son who rode it to work. He got rid of it auick. There's nothing wrong with a dolo, but, for 199 more you can get a Gravity Bullseye Monster delivered to door. That is what I did. And my current .fatty is a Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro. Between the two, Ryback and Blue, I have logged approx 3500 miles since 2014.
    A yeah sorry for the rant, ramarren. I just want you to be aware of how fast expensive fat bike tires can wear out fast.

Today, was a no ride day. It rained last night and the trail was a soupy mess. Tomorrow is Going to be much nicer and I plan on going further along the railroad bed. It's for some neat stone culvertz that were in the grade as bridges acoss some small streams.
    Mama Bear is doing great! Her NP (nurse practioner) comes next week, and they are going to discuss her surgery.
    Sean actually asked to ride up to the mailbox with me this afternoon. He is slowly mastering the brakes and 'flintstoning' it less. Seems that as he gets older his motor skills have improved. He's autistic and is 31 years old. He's getting very helpful around the house too.

In closing, I want to wish everyone Happy Star Wars Day....May the fourth be with you....
    Until Later
    Oldbear and clan.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Nice Mex, got to watch out for those crows, could take an eye out
    Pepper:
    So can Redwing Blackbirds.lol :-)
    How,about more pictures of Sir fatsalot?

Oz: love your report. Those pictures.are. eautiful. Especially of the Alphonse.

Oldbear and clan.

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Pepper:
    So can Redwing Blackbirds.lol :-)
    How,about more pictures of Sir fatsalot?

Oz: love your report. Those pictures.are. eautiful. Especially of the Alphonse.

Oldbear and clan.
    Bear, good as always to get an update.
    I hear you about your son and I'm glad he's enjoying the bike! I can't get mine to try them out... although he has pretty good motor skills he'll stick to the trampoline.

Sir Fatsolot is marooned a bit for the moment; my (lack of) skill means I've hit a road bump in assembling the bike - I have a friend who's put a bunch together and says he'll help me but is out of town. I'm still debating taking it to the nearest LBS to have them put it together for me.

As a side note, my pedal wrench arrived and per several suggestions a page back or so I was able to break em loose. Man that factory assembly had em on tight but I finally succeeded and have the Chesters on my Trek. HUGE difference!

Fat Biking and health-chesters-v-stock.jpgFat Biking and health-chesters.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Are you riding pavement a lot ramarren? Sounds like quite a bit of psi for a fatty in the dirt. Even when I ride on the road to get to the creek, my front tire is at 8psi and rear at 10psi. I weigh 260 at my tires are a Hbille 4.25 rear and a Snowshoe 4.8 on the front. They make,all kinds of noise like a big 4x4. But I don't have any issues.when I used to ride up in Rolla Missouri, it was a 2 mile trip to the Lion's Club Park where the trails are. When in had my first 'fat bike' a walgoose dolo, in had the tires pretty hard. They wore pretty quick and were replaced by my son who rode it to work. He got rid of it auick. There's nothing wrong with a dolo, but, for 199 more you can get a Gravity Bullseye Monster delivered to door. That is what I did. And my current .fatty is a Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro. Between the two, Ryback and Blue, I have logged approx 3500 miles since 2014.
    A yeah sorry for the rant, ramarren. I just want you to be aware of how fast expensive fat bike tires can wear out fast.

Today, was a no ride day. It rained last night and the trail was a soupy mess. Tomorrow is Going to be much nicer and I plan on going further along the railroad bed. It's for some neat stone culvertz that were in the grade as bridges acoss some small streams.
    Mama Bear is doing great! Her NP (nurse practioner) comes next week, and they are going to discuss her surgery.
    Sean actually asked to ride up to the mailbox with me this afternoon. He is slowly mastering the brakes and 'flintstoning' it less. Seems that as he gets older his motor skills have improved. He's autistic and is 31 years old. He's getting very helpful around the house too.

In closing, I want to wish everyone Happy Star Wars Day....May the fourth be with you....
    Until Later
    Oldbear and clan.
    Hallo Oldbear!

I ride pavement about 99% of the time. I had my Sumo (2017 iZip Sumo E3 fat eBike) equipped with Surly Black Floyd ribbed road tires before I even took it home. Their recommended tire pressure for street use is 25psi. Quiet, and superb grip on the street; I can throw it into corners like a low-power motorcycle and it responds beautifully.

I've put 125 miles on since April 6 when I took it home. (Sounds like nothing, I know, but that's a good bit for me: still building strength back into my legs after a total right hip and right knee repair... never mind building up confidence and regaining the ability to get on and off with reasonable gracefulness. it's ramping up.. ;-) Tires are wearing in just fine—the new-tire nubbins are slowly wearing off.

I suspect some of your fast tire wear does have to do with running such low pressures. Low pressures mean lots of tire flex, which builds up heat, which consumes rubber as you ride. We're in the same body weight class ... For me, under 20 psi and it feels too squishy.

I understand from the other notes that your wife has been pretty ill; good to hear her condition has improved. Best of luck to both of you!

One of my close friends' mom has been suffering this past month and some with a fall, a stroke, and now they've detected her cancer is spreading and no longer treatable. Sad, she has always been a feisty and fit woman with a sharp wit: she's achieved 93 years and is still totally aware in good humor despite the current ills. All of us will miss her when her Time is up. I hope I can get to that age with such humor and consciousness!

Hope Star Wars Day was great for you! I'm off for another ride. :-)

onwards,
    G

No matter where you go, there you are.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quick ride report:

Yesterday's ride was near perfect. I had a 7am appointment to meet up with friends in Mountain View for breakfast (really just a cup of coffee and a bun) and checked the local bicycle route planning site. It suggested that was an 8 mile ride and would take 45 minutes. Darn if it wasn't just about right on the money! Total trip there and back was 16.8 miles and 1:15 riding time. So I averaged about 13 mph for the whole journey, with the stop at the cafe and another stop to visit my auto mechanic and say hello.

Weather was just about perfect, no difficulties with traffic (other than the usual goofballs who don't really understand that a bicycle lane isn't some kind of extra narrow right turn lane...). Glad I put a bell on the bike.

Best thing was that although I was sweaty, I wasn't hurting or exhausted when I arrived back at home. I set the lights and main battery on the charger, took a shower, and zipped off to catch a movie at the cinema. My legs felt/feel great.

Life is good!

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Hallo Oldbear!

I ride pavement about 99% of the time. I had my Sumo (2017 iZip Sumo E3 fat eBike) equipped with Surly Black Floyd ribbed road tires before I even took it home. Their recommended tire pressure for street use is 25psi. Quiet, and superb grip on the street; I can throw it into corners like a low-power motorcycle and it responds beautifully.[/I]
    Where are you getting that 25 psi number from? If it's from the tire sidewall, that's a maximum pressure, not a recommended pressure. I think is sounds really high, but if it works for you, go for it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Where are you getting that 25 psi number from? If it's from the tire sidewall, that's a maximum pressure, not a recommended pressure. I think is sounds really high, but if it works for you, go for it.
    The max pressure limit listed on the sidewall is 30 psi. There are a couple of "use instructions" and informational PDFs on the Surly website but none that seem specific to the Black Floyd tires as different from the chunky treaded, more off-roady tires with respect to tire pressures. Just one curious reference to "pump up the pressures like an old Eldorado {a Moto Guzzi motorcycle that used similar style and section tires...!} for road use.

However, on the JensonUSA page for the Surly Black Floyd, 26 x 3.8 60TPI Tire, the product description reads, in part:

"...the Black Floyd allows you to thrust the pressure to 18-25 PSI in order to hit the sweet spot for road riding and hard pack surfaces. ..." and says further in the FEATURES bullet list that:
    • 18-25 psi is the sweet spot for on-road use

I experimented the first several days I rode on these tires with pressures ranging from 15 to 25. My experiments indicated that 18-25 is definitely right on the money for my riding where 18-20 is getting a bit squishy for a big guy like me and 25 is just about perfect.

You can feel the difference in tire deformation very clearly in the steering response and how the rear tire responds on hard cornering. I have many, many years of tuning motorcycle handling for street and road racing... The Sumo feels for all the world like a low-power, very light weight motorcycle in its dynamics.

G

mtbr member

Hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder pain riding rigid.

So i used to ride rigid many years ago and have since rode suspension up until i got my rigid fatty. I am an avid mtb'r and ride fairly aggressively but do not huck off of cliffs or larger drops.

I have an Al fork, carbon bars and the ESI foam grips. Running a 4.0 at ~6 psi right now and it is great, BUT i find i get significant pain for days later.

This may be because i am just deconditioned for not riding near as much as i'd like the last few years. Can i just build up my strength and therefore resistance to the impacts of riding rigid?

Or will i just make it worse? Anyone have experience they would like to share?

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post
    So i used to ride rigid many years ago and have since rode suspension up until i got my rigid fatty. I am an avid mtb'r and ride fairly aggressively but do not huck off of cliffs or larger drops.

I have an Al fork, carbon bars and the ESI foam grips. Running a 4.0 at ~6 psi right now and it is great, BUT i find i get significant pain for days later.

This may be because i am just deconditioned for not riding near as much as i'd like the last few years. Can i just build up my strength and therefore resistance to the impacts of riding rigid?

The answer is two part... Yes conditioning will help. The other part is dialing in the fitment of your bike. Bar position, seat position. Repositioning on your bike can take lotsa troubles away. With bar position, simply rolling the bar fore or aft a few degrees can make a naked difference. The next item is stem length. Some peeps need a more upright position vs the stretched out position with bar height resulting in less reading down to em.

Frankly, I would work on condition and try adjusting your riding position.

I have scoliosis which requires a more upright position or I'm off to the chiropractor for an adjustment. I like adjusting my bike cause it's usually cheaper.
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Did I not mention the Wildcat is on the radar?? I feel the need for a full squish +bike lately.
    Looking forward to hitting a few of the more aggressive trails once again.

Sarge, the Mayor and a squishy to raise hell with, hmm, tasty!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post

Getting in condition and keeping there is a huge part of it. But...

Pain in the hand, wrist, elbow, and shoulder say to me that the relationship between seat and bars is incorrect. You should be able to ride on level ground slightly leaned forward but with no pressure on your hands, and elbows loose. Grips should be about just an inch or two higher than the seat, and your seat should not pitch your pelvis either back or forwards. (1)

A nice test is to play with the seat height and tilt ... Get the height so that your leg is almost but not quite fully extended and the seat tilt set so that (with someone holding the bike vertical for you) you can pedal backwards with your body slightly leaned forward (but not touching the bars...) without feeling unstable.

Then try reaching forward to where you hands fall without fully extending your arms and with your hands at about the level of your pelvis. Keep your shoulder and arms relaxed and just let your palms sit on the bars without gripping. If the bars feel a little too far forward or back, or if gripping the bars tends to turn your forearms out or in, rotate them a touch in the top clamp. Sometimes you need an riser, a different shape bar, and all that et cetera. Usually, the stock stuff with most bikes can be diddled to fit you well.

Also, 6 psi in the tires sounds awfully low to me, unless you're a very light person. On a fat bike, the tire are the suspension. You could be bottoming the tires. I'd say that for an average 160-190 lb person, 8 to 12 psi for off-road use is a reasonable starting point. Personally, I'd set to 12 and adjust downwards in 1 psi increments to see how the bike and your body respond. You may indeed end up at 6, but that sounds very low even for a fat bike.

My bike is fixed suspension, 26x4 tires (streety-smooth tires pumped up to 25psi for pavement use) and adjusted as described in (1). I am hideously out of shape and fat, just recovering from total right hip and meniscus repair in my left knee, and have a long history of poor joint mobility, arthritis, etc. I've been riding pretty hard for an hour to two hours a day for the past three weeks. When I get off the bike, I'm tired, my weak legs might be a bit sore, but I have no upper body pain at all despite the potholes and other road hazard conditions I've bumped and jolted over. It shouldn't be any different for you if your bike is set up carefully and you let your body work its way back into condition.

G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    JJ 4.8's @ 6-9 psi with a 160-170# rider.. Dirt will be on the lower side without rocky terrain. Smooth rock free and sand are always for traction and float.
    Go more and I may as well fill em with concrete.
    As ramarren said, start with 10-12 psi and drop in 1/2 psi increments. A fatbike is so pressure sensitive that a half psi can and is felt in ride quality.
    With my +bike, I do exactly the same. Sarge is almost as pressure sensitive with his 3.0's.

I can do without a harsh ride with my scoliosis.

Kirk, check with the LBS for some used bars that you can try out as well. Often times they have take offs that they will gladly lend you for test purposes.
    Stem length can also play a significant role in discomfort. Seat position includes fore and aft placement in the post as well as angle. Fore/aft placement plays more of a role than angle, needless to say when it comes to wrist discomfort.
    Reach and bar angles play into the wrists as well as back for those of us that haven't treated ourselves right over the years.
    Check in with your LBS, they will be able to assist with many fitment issues.

On another note, Sarge was diagnosed with brakeitis today. Sram Guide calipers have sticky pistons. After a 5 minute cleaning, he seems to be feeling better. I may have to overhaul the rear caliper to resolve the sticking pistons further. I'll know more with a short ride tomorrow.
    Sensing a set of Hope brakes to make a nice colorful upgrade.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hey everyone. Reporting in from mid recovery. The right knee was replaced on 4/26. In case you want to know it is painful. Getting a little better each day. I had house visits fr the first 2 weeks from a nurse and PT. You get to scream a little when they stretch you and there is some teeth clenching and screaming involved. I start out of house PT tomorrow. No bike yet, I couldn't get the knee bent enough to get it around.

Hurts just reading of that manipulating of your knee, Chief. But heartened to know you are on the road to recovery.

Things appear a little/lot dead around here on the thread. Not much exciting to report here except the winds of early spring do not want to go away when I hit the road for my runs with the FatSix. Today was a ride from Homebase to Riverside Marina and back; head winds all the way south which sapped battery power and really sounded like a 90db hurricane with the wind in and out of my helmet. A cold wind at that.

A few days last week I set a personal best of my 20 mile Burlington run, averaging a hot 17.1 mph, which really is flying for a fat tired bike on asphalt.

Happy Mothers Day to everyone. Hope your day was a great one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    Hey everyone. Reporting in from mid recovery. The right knee was replaced on 4/26. In case you want to know it is painful. Getting a little better each day. I had house visits fr the first 2 weeks from a nurse and PT. You get to scream a little when they stretch you and there is some teeth clenching and screaming involved. I start out of house PT tomorrow. No bike yet, I couldn't get the knee bent enough to get it around.
    Keep your chin up chief, and you'll be back in the saddle in no time. Do your PT like you have an NFL contract on the line. From what I know about these things, the best outcomes are when people take their physical therapy really seriously. In the meantime keep us up to date and soon you'll be back to ride reports

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    Hang in there, Chief! In a few more weeks things will become less painful. Joint replacement is not an easy in and out in the least. Keep up with the recommendations and PT as needed and the outcome will be far better than without adhering to it. Time is what it takes, needless to say.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    What new places are you all scoping out? How is Chief feeling? What's the scoop with old bear?
    Being a sales rep I spend a fair bit of time on the road and always travel with a bike or three so after work is done at the end of the day I get to check out something new. There's all sortsa good riding to be had

The max pressure limit listed on the sidewall is 30 psi. There are a couple of "use instructions" and informational PDFs on the Surly website but none that seem specific to the Black Floyd tires as different from the chunky treaded, more off-roady tires with respect to tire pressures. Just one curious reference to "pump up the pressures like an old Eldorado {a Moto Guzzi motorcycle that used similar style and section tires...!} for road use.

However, on the JensonUSA page for the Surly Black Floyd, 26 x 3.8 60TPI Tire, the product description reads, in part:

"...the Black Floyd allows you to thrust the pressure to 18-25 PSI in order to hit the sweet spot for road riding and hard pack surfaces. ..." and says further in the FEATURES bullet list that:
    • 18-25 psi is the sweet spot for on-road use

I experimented the first several days I rode on these tires with pressures ranging from 15 to 25. My experiments indicated that 18-25 is definitely right on the money for my riding where 18-20 is getting a bit squishy for a big guy like me and 25 is just about perfect.

You can feel the difference in tire deformation very clearly in the steering response and how the rear tire responds on hard cornering. I have many, many years of tuning motorcycle handling for street and road racing... The Sumo feels for all the world like a low-power, very light weight motorcycle in its dynamics.

G
    Just because the tire can handle it doesn't mean it's a good thing to run them that high. For the most part fat rims aren't expected to handle pressures over ~15psi so be really careful. Be ready for the tire to blow off the rim if you hit a sharp edged bump (like a pothole) especially while cornering, at your weight that 25 ramps up to much higher very quickly in that impact spot. If it was me I'd be more accepting of the more plush ride offered by a lower pressure in the tires. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying understand the risk.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Just because the tire can handle it doesn't mean it's a good thing to run them that high. For the most part fat rims aren't expected to handle pressures over ~15psi so be really careful. Be ready for the tire to blow off the rim if you hit a sharp edged bump (like a pothole) especially while cornering, at your weight that 25 ramps up to much higher very quickly in that impact spot. If it was me I'd be more accepting of the more plush ride offered by a lower pressure in the tires. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying understand the risk.

While I appreciate your concern, the rims on this bike are rated for 35psi and the tires for 30psi. They seem to be absolutely fine for my use at 25 psi and feel great. The handling and braking is fantastic, there are no signs of distress or incipient damage/stress visible. I've bashed into several nasty potholes with them so far, and no damage or change to tire, wheel, or spokes is evident on inspection afterwards. The front tire puncture with a bit of sharp glass I experienced my first weekend out with them was uneventful and did not exhibit catastrophic deflation or any rim damage.

Although I haven't been riding for a while and this is my first fat bike, I'm not exactly a newbie to bicycles and motorcycles. My discussions with the folks who make the tires support the evidence which I've found through testing that this is the correct pressure to be running in them for my use.

G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I was off the bike for a few days due to a foot problem (gout .. ugh) last week, but recovered by Friday. I went for a fast ride Saturday, it's so nice to say "only" to a 15 mile long ride now.

I had a physical therapy appointment on Saturday morning: my therapist did some strength and range of motion testing, reference datum documentation, and was pretty stunned: I've gained back nearly one hundred percent of the 'normal' range of motion I should have and my leg and core strength is up by a huge jump. The biggest area of weakness yet to be addressed are the right hip extensors and flexors, and stamina. My quads are up by 2" in circumference, and my weight is down by 15-18 lbs since our last reference measurement. My height has also returned to nearly my age 30 peak of 6 foot: I've gained back an inch and a quarter from where I was a year ago.

"Just keep going! You're doing all the right things!" She gave me two additional exercises to push further on those extensor and flexor muscles. I credit a huge amount of these gains to riding since I bought the other ebike at the beginning of December but especially since buying the Sumo ebike at the beginning of April.

The Sumo is up to 160 miles or so now. Time for it to go in for a first service and dealer inspection. I did my personal inspection of it yesterday .. can't find much other than normal tuning and adjustment to be done. I'll be interested to see what the bike tech finds.

onwards!
    G

Monday's Ride Report

Destination: Homebase, southbound to Burlington City, NJ and back (Original plan was 36 mile trip to Delran and back..)

Distance: 20.6 miles
    Average Speed/Max Speed: 14.8/20.9
    Weather: And here is the issue, high winds of 30-35 mph out of the north and west. Partly sunny. Temp in low 60's
    Total Miles on odometer: 1289

Notes: A near gale warning ineffect and an in-your-face-wind heading south on this route, 100% asphalt. The issue is that these fronts come across the river from PA and points west and just run up the Delaware River unabated. The river is a wind tunnel for any wind from the west with not much breaks along this route. And today, with plans to go further, I shut it down at Burlington and headed back.............With this wind comes cold, so today under my helmet I wore my winter cap; 4 polypro shirts, 3 longsleeve, 1 short, topped off with a nylon windbreaker and my sleeveless LL Bean Vest. Endura Knicker style shorts..........No doubt, my collection of medications has a great bearing on feeling the cold. Funny thing is, I heard low 90's this week. This spring weather has outright been sucky...........

Speaking of sucky; as I made my way at my turn points back to home at the Burlington Bristol Bridge, along the Delaware Water Front, I travel on a One Way, restricted speed, scenic drive of about a half mile or so. About 40 feet along a bulkheaded river front, this one way road passes by the Doane Academy Prep School grounds, a Catholic Charities center, a VFW and a few 1600's era houses from pre-Colonial Burlington..........I've done this ride thousands of times before, many documented here. I ride right along the left side of the road along this water front, about a foot off the curb, give or take. The road itself is amply wide enough that traffic passes unimpeded........With that picture in mind, a newish white Toyota pickup slowly passes me and in doing so, he rolls his window down and says "Why don't you ride on the right side of the road like everybody else?"......Kind of at a loss for words, but recovering fast enough, doing about 12 mph, the two of us, I turned and said "Why don't you mind your focking business and pay mind to what you're doing?".......He passes me by and exiting this scenic drive and heading north on another road, I'm able to catch up to him and as he's looking in his side mirror, I give him the "You're Number One Digital Salute", almost inviting him to pull over and discuss matters a little more, but wisely for the two of us, he kept going and I just resumed pedaling north. Did take note to his turning into the one and only marina on the Delaware just a ways from my salute to him, so I'll keep that one in the back of my mind........

Just 2 Sundays ago in that same area, I'm talking to a Burlington Bristol Bridge Police Officer as we're riding along; he asked of my bike, the tires, how it rode, etc. Been passed thousands of times along this river front, the entire run for that matter. No issues; quite a few "Nice bike!" shout outs, but nothing like this morning. And all it takes is that one derp to start confrontation when none was warranted. Oh well. No doubt anyone reading this can share their similar stories. And I'd guess like me, we just take it in stride. But there comes that one day.......when we don't!

This morning's ride report: Destination: Homebase to Burlington City and back 100% asphalt. 28 psi in tires

Distance: 21.6 miles
    Average Speed/Max Speed: 16.8/21.6 mph
    Weather: Cool to warming. Clear skies. Little to no breeze
    45% battery charge remaining
    1329 total miles on odometer

Notes: Left at 0700 hours in order to take care of business later; in addition to beating any winds from thermal warming by sun. Today it's supposed to get up to 91 degrees. Tomorrow and next day, the same with added humidity...........

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mike had plenty of these guy's over the years, however I have been on a good run lately with no Jonny smart guys sticking his head out. Having said that I bound to find one tomorrow

As for the weather we have been on a run of beautiful days cool mornings and temps in the low 20 dec C (70 odd F) through the middle of the day, perfect really. I have this weekend off and had a nice ride planned and biblical rain is forecast We will see...

Stay safe out there and don't pick too many fights with morons steering two tonne bullets.

Surly in Oz: Will do! Sounds like some terrific weather you're having there. I backed up yesterday's morning run with an identical 20 mile run to Burlington and back in the early evening, starting at 6 pm. Yesterday was the start of a 3 day run of abnormally high, summer time like weather, with highs in the low 90's and increasing humidity...

Thursday Morning's Ride Report:

Destination: Homebase to Riverside Marina, Delran, NJ, southbound, then the turnaround north to homebase. 100% asphalt. Tires at 27 psi.

Weather: Warm, breeze from south/southwest heading down. Slight humidity, sunny. Mid 70's at start of ride at 0700 hours
    Distance: 35.4 miles
    Average Speed/Max Speed: 15.1mph/21.7 mph
    Haibike Full FatSix: Battery charge percentage left at ride's end: 31%
    Odometer total miles: 1385

Notes: Left earlier than normal to avoid the high morning sun and heat warnings forecast for the Delaware Valley today; increasing humidity today..........On this morning's run, with a note to battery conservation, I pedaled the entire route in the Yamaha Standard Power Setting, leaving me with 31% left at ride's end............

On another note: Dietary. I'm trying to lay off carbs. In particular hoagies (Sub sandwiches; Hero's, depending upon where you hail from) and my favorite food: Pizza. I'm about 180 right now, give or take. I'd like to see 165 or so; figuring that will help for total overall health, better stamina, lower blood pressure (I take meds for my BP) and of course, better cardiac health.

I bought a small microwave grill, that allows me to cook meats in the microwave yeilding results like that cooked on a gas or charcoal outdoor grill. After my ride this morning, I tried this grill for the first time, cooking 2 skinless chicken breasts treated with cooking oil spray and coated with Mrs Dash. Results? Really, really liked the end result. No rubbery chicken effect at all. I'm going out to get more chicken breasts and also, going to try my luck with some steaks.

This is the grill I got: https://www.hsn.com/products/living-...cooker/8302916

mtbr member
    I'm doing the PT work as if my riding future depends on it and it does. I can't wait to get back on a bike, any bike. I see riders going by while on my walks and I smile and wave. Tough to be left out in such nice weather.
    I'm heading off to PT in a few and I'll be pushing as hard as I'm able.
    I'm weening from the dilaudid starting yesterday. I had a very restless night.
    Recovery is a bitch but it's getting better.
    Talk to you all later.

mtbr member
    This is what I followed to my rehab facility today. LOL
    Fat Biking and health-image1.jpg

After my first week of outside PT (3 visits plus 2 sessions a day at home) on Monday I was -15 degrees from flat, I'm now -8 from flat.
    I could lay on my back and bend my knee to 90 degrees on Monday today I'm at 105..... Progress and working at it works.
    Getting closer each day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Good luck, Chief500! You'll get there.

Morning Ride Today!

Even though the temperature when I left was in the range of 45°F, I hopped on and headed up to Mountain View to have breakfast with friends again. It was a wonderful, if chilly, ride.

16.5 miles round trip, my average speed is up to 14mph now. Wiggled through a few little back road neighborhoods, had a great time at breakfast, and a fine ride back. It's becoming normal now to just hop on the bike and go somewhere.

This is great.

G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Chief, they had your number! Keep on keepin on, Bubba...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    That's what you need Chief, motivation! That's good progress, keep it up.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mayor and Sarge were treated to new brakes this week! Went with the Hope Tech 3's in purple for the Mayor and orange for Sarge!
    This has cured Sarge's brakeitis and he's feeling better! Gonna try to get in a ride on Sunday and enjoy the warmer day.
    Had snow the last couple days and frigid temps.

Meanwhile, the Bear is offa the radar...again!!
    Doctor recommended...

FB&H rider

Sir Fatsalot

Ok, bout time I post!
    First things first:
    Chief, hang in there; sounds like you're doing well with the recovery. Thanks Mike n ramarren etc for the ride reports.
    Personally squeezed in a few quick rides on the Farley to keep the ol heart pumping but hadn't had a chance to get on Sir Fatsalot until today... more on that in a moment.
    I heard back from GrimaceTimus via pm; he says high to everyone and admits he's been mostly preoccupied by his other fatbike (Harley) and life stuff, but is still on the MBS from time to time.
    Hope olbear is ok as well.

OK: here we go: a report in two parts.

1. Set up.
    I've had a very frustrating couple of weeks since my boxes arrived!
    Work's been pretty crazy which limited how much time I could dedicate to the project.
    The MBS arrived in two custom boxes and was very securely packaged with padding, bubble wrap, and zip ties. Fat Biking and health-img_2360.jpgFat Biking and health-img_2373.jpg
    Let me start by saying I've discovered I'm even more useless at wrenching/mechanicals than I thought I was.
    I flailed around off and on befuddled by simple things such as the locking (rather than clamping) seatpost binder (I thought a part might be missing). Eventually, I was able to get most of it put together.
    Fat Biking and health-img_2390.jpg
    Unfortunately I wasn't able to figure out the derailleur or brake setup, and eventually gave up, taking it to the closest LBS. The kindly older German fellow said he'd set it up for me and only charge me 20Euro; sold! Well, I got back on Monday to pick it up and he looks a little baffled... charges me 100 and says that the chain was too long so he took a couple links out (which was probably true since I had a smaller chainring installed) but didn't give me the extra links. Worse still, he couldn't figure out how to set up my brakes either.... which I didn't really understand due to the language barrier until I get it home and notice the front brakes are soft and don't really stop the wheel. Not only that, but he obviously didn't know how to bed the pads in or something, because he stripped the torc bolt and cracked the bracket grrrr
    Fat Biking and health-img_2404.jpg
    Nevertheless, it seems to be sufficient for me to ride for now and I'll hope it beds down a little better soon and/or I'll take it to the MTB store an hour+ away to have them take a crack at it.
    I was able to figure out switching out the grips although the stock Answer fall lines are quite good - I just wanted a little more support and put on Ergons. I put on Race Face Aeffect pedals and they're a sharp accent to the bike and feel great under my feet. All in all, put together and looking good!
    Fat Biking and health-img_2410.jpg

2. First ride:
    Definitely can tell the difference between the Trek 5 and the MBS! I wrote a longer report, but it got deleted.... so suffice it to say that the MBS is definitely more nimble (a sports car to the Trek's Caddy) and easy to play around with. I can also finally understand what people mean when they say it's worth putting up a few extra dollars for a gearset upgrade - boy is it ever! The shifting up and downhill on Sir Fatsalot is just so smooth!
    Overall, loving the bike and can't wait to get back on it tomorrow!
    Fat Biking and health-img_2407.jpg

Dr Pep: Beautiful looking bike; wishing you the best with her! Sorry to hear about your bike set up issues with your local bike shop. Sounds like a good plan in taking her to another shop to get properly sorted. You and that bike deserve it. May I recommend getting this: BBB-3 Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair — 3rd Edition | Park Tool I have a copy myself, cause I like to arm myself with info as to how things work, how things get repaired. At a minimum, it'll give yourself the info at hand in how repairs are properly made. And quite possibly, start you on your way to doing basic repairs at home. Plus, Park is like the gold standard in bike repair, from tools to books like this one.

Your spongy brakes to me indicate air in the system and/or low fluid. I wince at that photo of the stripped bolt head to your Brake reservoir...good grief! That gent owes you a refund, imo, for doing work like that!

Friday and Saturday's Ride Reports:

Well, Friday was a 36 mile to Delran, NJ and back, admiring the boats in the boat yard. And wouldn't you know it, some 10 miles from home, I picked up another flat in the rear tire; today's offending road addition: a #10 sheet metal screw, 3/4 inch long.....

That's 5.....Five......patches on the rear tire. Thing is, I pay real close attention to where I am pedaling on the shoulders of these roads just to avoid this garbage......and I still wind up with a flat. As I was fixing the flat, in 90 plus degree morning heat, I was seriously contemplating this tubeless thing that everyone advocates on this forum......So folks, please tell me: Can tubeless help me when I run into sheet metal screws or 3 inch long nails or the like?

And today's ride report to Burlington City and back: Well, no flats. And a plus 30 degree drop in temperatures from the mid 90's we had yesterday. Today, I wore my usual 4 shirts, vest, winter cap under helmet, thermal socks. This weather is crazy.

mtbr member

checking in

I've been riding a lot of singletrack. I've added a couple new pins to the map.
    Fat Biking and health-gino-trail-map.jpg

This week I rode some pretty technical sections that only a few months ago I know I would have been unable to finish. It feels pretty good. I've slowed down on taking pictures because the times I've been riding haven't offered great lighting and my old phone needs it. I want to play around with some videos soon.

mtbr member
    PhdPep, great looking bike enjoy.

Mike sounding like they're looking to flatten you...Shame, hang in there. I'm staying tubed just because of that.
    The weather has made a major change. Feels good though compared to those 3 90 degree days so early and that humidity.
    Walked a half mile easy today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, thats a nice looking bike Pepper, and for us challenged on the spanners a good bike shop is a must or a good book as Mike suggested, I find the Park Tool Youtube channel a great help. Well make the most of the new bike now its running.

Hi Mex looks like you are really getting around, I too like to push myself a little on the trails I just have to remember that I have to go to work on Monday

Chief good to see your moving again, you be back on the bike before you know it.

And Mike a tubeless setup might not have helped with that screw, but everything short of that would be fine.

And Mike I mentioned the other day that I have avoided the stupid car drivers of the world, well I found one this morning in his look at me sports car. He looked me straight in the eye and then pulled out from the driveway in front of me. Well I had to stop as did he and he received a good old outburst of drunken sailor language from me. Kids crossing the road might have learned a few new words, and my friend in the sports car managed to raise his hand in apology. Stay safe out there.

Surly in Oz: I'm running Mr Tuffy liners, which I have no expectations of stopping this road debris. They do a terrific job on the canal paths with the sticker thorns, though. Been looking at videos on the set up procedure; not bad, but I think for now I'll just stick with the tubes and a sharp eye...with some luck tossed in. Screws and nails leave about a 1/8th inch hole in the tire; so I wasn't sure if this sealant business would do the trick. I tend to think not now, as the tire deflects on roadway irregular surfaces, busting up that coagulated sealant. Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Good to hear your road incident ended only with a stern talking to; and not flying over the bars. I like to make eye contact as well coming upon an intersection; but as you've noted here, there are simply folks who "make eye contact, but in reality, you are not really there." Be safe, my friend.

Well Chief, it's great to read of the progress you are making. Keep it going; looking forward to those across the river ride reports as well as a meet and greet ride along your PA Canal towpaths.

Reduced carbohydrate intake program is on; I expect slow but steady progress.

TexMex: Sounds like you are making great riding progress, acquiring better bike handling skills and balance. As a flat road towpath and asphalt roadway/shoulder rider, any kind of dip for me is considered getting "technical", LOL. Take care.

mtbr member
    I started half pedaling a bike in rehab today. It doesn't go all the way around yet. LOL But I'll get it there.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Pepper, that's one sweeeeeeettt lookin ride, my friend!! Time to look into a bike maintenance class in your community and get schooled up on the topic.
    I have spent many years wrenching on bikes, automobiles etc. to prevent the disappointment that comes from a botched job. Hope you get it sorted and move forward to adventure mode.

OZ, that is why I carry golf balls in a pocket. I can hurl one at the offending idiots car and they'll get the point of the conversation with a lasting result.

Mike, the sealant will work as long as you leave the screw in place to act as a plug. Also a fatty pump is your friend in case the tire slowly looses pressure and needs a top off from time to time. At home the proper repair can take place and be good to go.

Chief, that is going to be your barometer of healing progress. Hope you can start spinning full strokes soon and get out for slow rides around the neighborhood sooner than later. We're rootin for ya, my friend!!

Bear is still offa the radar. Hope it's just a didn't pay the damn phone bill thing... Tried to pay it for him through verizon but those bastards won't let me cause I'm not on the account. Assholes!!
    Doctor recommended...

Wade: Appreciate the input. Thinking it over and with folks input here I think I'm going to stick with the old tried and true tubes.

Today's Ride Report
    Destination: Homebase to Burlington City, NJ and back; 100% asphalt. Haibike Full FatSix

Mileage: 20.8 miles
    Average Speed/Maximum Speed: 14.8/20.9
    47% Battery Charge Remaining---20 miles capacity left on High motor setting
    Total Odometer: 1481 miles
    Weather: Cloudy, cool, damp. The heavy rains of yesterday moved out with another round due today. Wanted to get this ride in before the bad wx moved in. Upon completion of the ride, clouds got really low and heavy.

Notes: Used High motor setting for entire ride. Took camera along for a few select shots.........All points bulletin out again for Old Bear.........Great to hear positive recovery reports from Chief, as too the rest of the gang here. Keep up the riding and the reports. I enjoy other's perspectives on this thread....Onto some photos.......
    Fat Biking and health-100_2257.jpg
    Burlington-Bristol Bridge: Single lane lift bridge connecting Burlington City, New Jersey with Bristol, Pennsylvania. There is a large US Steel facility 10 miles up the Delaware River from here that see's large ocean going freighters come calling to port; as to a US Gypsum plant about 4 miles north of here that takes Gypsum rock and makes wallboard out of the stuff. This center span lifts high enough to allow ships to pass through. Low tide on the Delaware, soon it will shift and the flood tide will add about 6 feet of water...
    Fat Biking and health-100_2259.jpg
    Looking downbound, Delaware River at the Burlington-Bristol Bridge, along the Burlington City, NJ waterfront.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2262.jpg
    Old Glory at Burlington City, NJ waterfront, in front of Doane Academy, a private, college prep school.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2265.jpg
    Full FatSix meets American Eagle at Burlington City waterfront park.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2266.jpg
    North and homebound, getting ready to overtake a bicyclist in Burlington City, NJ; approaching Assicunk Creek. Pretty much all of these creeks are named after Indian tribes that lived along their banks. Burlington is old country, as too Bristol. Figure over 100 years old before Washington and the Revolutionary War.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2267.jpg
    Burlington City Public Boat Ramp, Delaware River.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mike, the Mayor doesn't let me cheat!! He's allergic to pavement too. :/

This weekend will be an opportunity to break in the new brakes on both Sarge and the Mayor. Sarge is lookin good with more "new black" parts!

Fat Biking and health-img_0912.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_0911.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_0910.jpg
    Doctor recommended...

Wade, Sarge lookin' good posing in the backyard! Will be standing by for some actual on the road pixtures. There are rumors it really moves beyond the fence line!!!!

On another front, the rain held off. Yesterday, the local weather people had the day as a complete washout.

mtbr member
    Great report and great pictures Mike. The whole area is old with GREAT history. I know both sides of that bridge very well. The other side there isn't as developed and lots of deer to sneak up on. I ride it often when I'm on a bike.

mtbr member
    Rode in Hillsdale Michigan today. The best way to describe this singletrack is miracle soil. We've had so much rain that probably every other trail in the tri-state area is muddy. But this trail is just packed sand, it is awesome to be able to ride in spite of the weather. I met the park manager and he said they never close it. Not so many miles today. I tried to play around and shoot video with my action camera, I'll play around with the footage when I get home this weekend.

Thanks, Chief!

A few years back when I was kayaking the river with my P&H Sea Kayak, I was just south of the bridge, not far from the beach when I came upon a large dog laying next to a downed tree lying in the sand. Eventually, he/she took notice of me just drifting by and slowly got up and walked up beyond the woods in that area (Rohm & Haas property, I believe)...... It was a very large Coyote!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Wade, Sarge lookin' good posing in the backyard! Will be standing by for some actual on the road pixtures. There are rumors it really moves beyond the fence line!!!!

On another front, the rain held off. Yesterday, the local weather people had the day as a complete washout.
    Being that I am on call 24/7, the best way to ditch the phone is to take a bike ride and leave the bloody thing home! Long weekend coming will result in some pix of bikes in the wild.

The front was in the rear... weather makes its own here in the mountains! Can end up in a cloudburst outta nowhere at times and if ya don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes! Meanwhile, you're soaked head to toe. :/

Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    Rode in Hillsdale Michigan today. The best way to describe this singletrack is miracle soil. We've had so much rain that probably every other trail in the tri-state area is muddy. But this trail is just packed sand, it is awesome to be able to ride in spite of the weather. I met the park manager and he said they never close it. Not so many miles today. I tried to play around and shoot video with my action camera, I'll play around with the footage when I get home this weekend.
    Tex, great to find an area with the type of sand/soil mixture that makes for wet weather riding. I haven't had time to break out the GoPro yet but do look forward to trying it out. Hope you keep getting out there and adventuring the fat method!!
    Doctor recommended...

Wade: Did you get that big snow that fell last week? Back here, during that Colorado storm, we were sweating through 3 days of abnormally high 90 plus degrees....

How is your trailer project progressing? Looking forward of hearing your build report on that. A few weeks ago, I recieved the front rack from Old Man Mountain. Now, I'd like to get some of the mounting brackets to the Bluto fork powder coated; just have to find a local coater and get a cost.

Rain today, no ride reports.

FB&H rider
    Tex, will look forward to the vids!
    Chief, keep it up - 360 is in your future!

Had a couple short rides since Saturday's two hour exploration on the back of Mt Taunus!Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_adb.jpgFat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_ada.jpgFat Biking and health-img_2421.jpg

Been getting a few new toys to go with the major purchase... got my Lezyne pump today and it works as advertised; it fits perfectly in my 14L Jack Wolfskin biking backpack... also loving the new pedals on both bikes. My ergo grips are well worth it on Sir Fatsalot.... will grab a few closeups of those parts next time I'm out.

Been enjoying my week off from work this week with trips to Strasbourg France, Koblenz Germany, and so on.
    Next longer ride will probably be this coming Saturday... but may squeeze one in tomorrow or Friday as my parents (who are visiting) take a side trip to the Netherlands.

Cheers all!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mike, Ajax was pounded with 18" of snow and is open for the skiers to get that last hurrah. Was nippy for several days and now we're warming nicely.

Pepper, that new bike is working you over! The Mayor did a good job there too. I'll get some pix this weekend of both bikes in the wild with their new brakes. Still need to break em in but they do feel very powerful.
    Doctor recommended...

Looking real good, Dr Pepper! Seems you've got FatBikeitus pretty, pretty bad!

Wade: No ride yesterday, heavy run this morning, no ride today. Sounds like that snow is going to muddy up your trails for a good week or so as it thaws out.

FB&H rider
    Nice ride today, found a nice long line of a trail that was new just up the hill from my house.
    Posted the pics in the fatbike related purchases thread:Your Latest Fatbike Related Purchase (pics required!)

I'm not sure why my pics are showing up sideways... usually send my photos to work and post from there. My home computer displays them correctly in my photo album, but not when I upload it.. any ideas?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mike thats a great collection of images, love the Eagle photo. The Fatstick seems to be paying its way, your cost per use must be close to a $1 per mile now

Look forward to the next report.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Wade thats one blinged out Sarge. Always nice to have a bike that stands out from the crowd.

I am thinking that Might add a 29+ bike to the stable this year. This is only pushing me along.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mex, Hillsdale looks like a like a great spot with the lakes, but Google Maps makes everywhere looked great. How to footage comes out ok.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Pepper, the Growler looks great out in the wild. Must be great is have a week of just pop into France Down Under is a long way from anywhere, apologies to my Kiwi brothers

OZ

FB&H rider
    Hi Pepper, the Growler looks great out in the wild. Must be great is have a week of just pop into France Down Under is a long way from anywhere, apologies to my Kiwi brothers

OZ
    Indeed Surly indeed!
    I lived across the Torres Strait in Papua New Guinea for 8 years - was great but certainly isolated!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PhdPepper View Post
    Nice ride today, found a nice long line of a trail that was new just up the hill from my house.
    Posted the pics in the fatbike related purchases thread:Your Latest Fatbike Related Purchase (pics required!)

I'm not sure why my pics are showing up sideways... usually send my photos to work and post from there. My home computer displays them correctly in my photo album, but not when I upload it.. any ideas?
    Hi Pepper, Looked at that thread, found the Farley % that just had a 1x11 conversion did not need to see that, I don't need it or do I

As for the sideway images maybe if you put a space between them it might show the right way up?

OZ.

Hi Mike thats a great collection of images, love the Eagle photo. The Fatstick seems to be paying its way, your cost per use must be close to a $1 per mile now

Look forward to the next report.

OZ.
    Surly in Oz: Many thanks; was lucky to get out. Had I listened to the weather people, I would have been home, looking out; waiting for the rain drops to fall.

Had to laugh at the costs per mile estimate; never thought of it that way! Then I got to thinking of battery costs per 750 charge cycles and that costs per mile is certainly a real number that is never going to go away.

Hoping the weather and bike riding has been good for you in the land down under!

Mike

mtbr member
    Decided to see if this thread was stil,active. Glad to see it is alive and well. I have been riding as much as I can which is 6 days per week. Did a gravel race anout 2 months on my 1 x 11 rigid 29er. 62 miles with about 5000 feet of elevation gain right at 5 hours clock time. Lots of creek crossings and a great route. I still see my mom, in assisted living every morning and evening. She is bedfast and hanging on to life. Her dementia is pretty much unchanged.

I hope all of you have a good holiday weekend. Robert

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Yesterday it was like a wind tunnel outdoors so I eschewed getting on the bike for fear of being blown away ...

But on Wednesday, I did a solid 18 mile ride from Santa Clara to East San Jose and back. Found a couple of nice neighborhoods to explore that I'd never spent any time in before. My legs felt great all the way through... Life is good.

I have to start carrying my camera or at least using my iPhone camera... :-) There were lots of nice things to photograph on the way.

G

FB&H rider
    Hi Pepper, Looked at that thread, found the Farley % that just had a 1x11 conversion did not need to see that, I don't need it or do I

As for the sideway images maybe if you put a space between them it might show the right way up?

OZ.
    Will try to edit.. thanks.
    EDIT: hmm, no workee so far. Tried a space between each image, and a return after each image as well..

I really like the 1x11 on my MBS vs my Trek which is 2x10.
    Up to you! :0

FB&H rider
    Thanks for checking in and the report Robertdavid!
    Glad to hear you're still riding regularly (more than I can for sure!).

Ramarren - great to see the improvement with the miles!!

mtbr member
    Andy's Friday Rehab Report.....
    Good progress is reported. It ain't easy but we're getting there. Lots of new stretches and exercises. So I'm -6° from the knee being flat/straight. That's from -8° last week. And in the knee bending department I'm up to 115° from 112°.
    Plus I started on the bike this week. I got it to go around backwards on Wednesday 3 times....
    Today I got it to spin ALL the way around frontwards for 3 minutes out of the 5 minutes. A good Memorial Weekend report.
    Enjoy your holiday everyone.

Some nice, positive ride reports and healing reports; plus it's great to see an old friend, RobertDavid, post up again! Have a good Memorial Day weekend, everybody, and please say a prayer and a thank you for those who paid the ultimate price, for the freedoms we all enjoy!

Mike

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Bear was spotted!! Fred has been doing well but has not had the dough to pay his phone bill. The phone is the method he uses to post here.
    Thankfully, he hasn't been hospitalized again.

Robert, you've been truant lately. Glad you're getting in the bike ride overdose!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Surly in Oz: Many thanks; was lucky to get out. Had I listened to the weather people, I would have been home, looking out; waiting for the rain drops to fall.

Had to laugh at the costs per mile estimate; never thought of it that way! Then I got to thinking of battery costs per 750 charge cycles and that costs per mile is certainly a real number that is never going to go away.

Hoping the weather and bike riding has been good for you in the land down under!

Mike
    HI Mike thats how I justify my purchases to myself and my wife, If you use something enough it costs you nothing

Yep the weather is Stella down here at the moment, totally spoilt to live here, well someone has to

Good riding.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    HI Robert thats a solid ride, look after your mom.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yesterday it was like a wind tunnel outdoors so I eschewed getting on the bike for fear of being blown away ...

But on Wednesday, I did a solid 18 mile ride from Santa Clara to East San Jose and back. Found a couple of nice neighborhoods to explore that I'd never spent any time in before. My legs felt great all the way through... Life is good.

I have to start carrying my camera or at least using my iPhone camera... :-) There were lots of nice things to photograph on the way.

G
    Hi G, in this modern world a picture is worth more than a thousand words, although if my English teacher wife reads that you might never here from me again

Enjoy your rides and whip the Phone out now and then.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Chief thats good progress, with your summer on the way hopefully you will be back. out on the trails soon.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Some nice, positive ride reports and healing reports; plus it's great to see an old friend, RobertDavid, post up again! Have a good Memorial Day weekend, everybody, and please say a prayer and a thank you for those who paid the ultimate price, for the freedoms we all enjoy!

Mike
    Hi Mike down here in OZ and next door in New Zealand we remember our veterans on the 25 of April, Anzac Day (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps)

It was the date of the Invasion of Turkey at Gallipoli, the news of our soldiers fighting side by side had a deep impact of those back home in Australia and New Zealand and it quickly became our day of remembrance for those who served and those who paid the ultimate price.

If you can find a copy of the Australian movie 'Gallipoli" from 1981 staring a young Mel Gibson its a classic of the courage and loss and the futility of war.

Anyway pay your respects and honour your country men and women.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thats good news Banshee, hopefully Bear find a way back to his rightful place soon.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Indeed Surly indeed!
    I lived across the Torres Strait in Papua New Guinea for 8 years - was great but certainly isolated!
    Hi Pepper, Pupua New Guinea to Germany I cannot think of to many places that would be so different, wow you do get around.

It would make Newcastle seem like the centre of the universe

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Will try to edit.. thanks.
    EDIT: hmm, no workee so far. Tried a space between each image, and a return after each image as well..

I really like the 1x11 on my MBS vs my Trek which is 2x10.
    Up to you! :0
    Well thats strange although you do see quite a few post on the forums with the same problem. Maybe there is a solution out there somewhere.

And the Farley will be a 1x11 down the track when bits need replacing. My LBS knows never to ring my home phone with prices of the work they do for me, the good wife does not notice such changes on my fleet of bikes

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Hi Wade thats one blinged out Sarge. Always nice to have a bike that stands out from the crowd.

I am thinking that Might add a 29+ bike to the stable this year. This is only pushing me along.

OZ.
    Thankya OZ!! Sarge had Guide R brakes originally but with a couple faults that cropped up and finding a good price on the Hope brakes the
    "old black" parts just have to go. The wheels started as black rims and that wasn't looking so good with zero contrast. I spent several hours
    preparing the rims for a polish before I laced em up. The appearance is far better when the rims are visible. Life is in living color and so is my
    bike! Having a look at bikes in the bike shops, most have black out wheels these days, bland they are.

Pepper, the sideways or upside down image thing is common with phone pix. You need to open the image file in windows and rotate the image and save it. Upload the saved image and post it. It's a pita when they appear like that.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Banshee, yes it's nice to have a bike just the way you like it, if it's not right you have no one to blame