Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Keep up the good recovery work. You are tough as nails. I kept the rubber side down tonight. There is definitely a fat bike riding learning curve.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    I am starting this thread to allow some of us a way to share our rides and the benefits we gain from our rides healthwise. I am a 62 yr old cyclist that has weighjt and health issues. I ride a bout six days a week on local bike paths and trails . I have congestive heart failure (chf), diabetes type 2 and arthritis. When I first got back into cycling I weighed 329 lbs. Currently (3 months later) I am down to 289 lbs and My health has shown marked improvement. My bike that I ride currently is a Mongoose Dolomite. I used to ride a Marlin singlespeed but I need more a wider range of gears for my arthritic knees. Being on a fixed income I couldn't afford an expensive fat bike so I swallowed my pride and bought a big box store bike.
    I say bravo to you sir! Keep at it, it can only get better!

mtbr member
    iCollector:

Welcome to our community and this thread. I hope my continuing posts can help people and encourage to ride fat!

Today was my rest day. I only went out of the apartment to check the mail and see if a neighbors cat got trapped in the utility room. the current temperature here at 4:40 cst is 30f. No snow today but we are expecting it now tomorrow night.
    My daughter and friend Tom went to the Kaintuck rec area today and frozen their butts off, but, had a good ride. They rode for two hours and checked our campsite and found nothing other than a couple of beer cans. Until tomorrow PEACE Fred aka the Oldbear

mtbr member
    Saturday is my off the bike day also. I Foam roll, do some light weights, cold bath for recovery from a week of riding. Then I eat breakfast and head to work. It was hard not to get my lights out and take my fatty to the trail that is only six miles away. Supposed to rain tomorrow. I may get a very early start to beat some of it. You get yourself better. I am only 3 years your junior. By the way, I love my new fatboy. Only two rides and I am making it up and over stuff that I have a lot of trouble riding on my 29ers. Might have to sell some things come spring and start saving for another fat bike.

mtbr member
    robertdavid: Good hear that you are enjoying that Fat Boy. I too am saving for another fat bike. most likely as Bikesdirect Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro. I will get it in May before I go to Dirt Fest in Penna. It's got some decent upgrades over the std. monster plus a Bluto fork. It's got sram x7 drivetrain too. All for $999.00.I already own a 2014 monster and want suspension for long treks, like the Berryman trail. i am on a fixed income and can't afford a LBS bike even though I would love either a Trek Farley, Specialized Fat boy Or a Surly Ice Cr3eam Truck.
    Snow hasn't started to fall yet but they are calling for 2-4 inches. Yay!
    I am sooo tempted to ride, but, I will be a good boy and stay put.
    Besides I need to concentrate on getting better and not mess around and wind up back in the hospital or worse yet being sidelined for good.

mtbr member
    Hi everyone! Just returned from rehab. I worked out and rode the stationary bike for 50 minutes. Logged about 15 miles on it set up with a road course with Moderate hills. I sure wish they could set it up as a mountain bike ride.
    Well, it's snowing here expecting 2-3inches. not much by Minnesota/northern Wisconsin standards but it's snow all the same. I am wanting to try the Huskerdu's so bad But I won't. My daughter is going ride tonight and will use my wheels on her monster. Lucky girl.
    Until later, PEACE
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You know you're the definition of 'inspiration', don't you?

I more people could be reached by your example, there'd be a lot more healthier folks I this world!

mtbr member
    It seems like forever when we have to take time off and like nothing when we can ride off road again. Hang in there.

mtbr member
    It sure does seek like forever when you are sidelined. even more when you have other family members riding their fatties. lol.

This morning I went to rehab at seven and stayed until eight forty five. I had a new routine introduced that focuses on my left side. I hurt but it helps. Lots of stretching and some weight work. I couldn't ride the stationary bike as it was being worked on for routine maintainence. The limp from when I was dragging my left leg is now all gone.I haven't walked with a cane for about a week and a half.
    Any way all of you keep on cycling and if you have snow enjoy it!
    PEACE. Oldbear

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you are doing well in your therapy. You are an inspiration. Cannot wait to hear when you are back outdoors on your bike. I am loving my FatBoy SL. Local trail is closed due to wet and sloppy conditions so I rode it on the road this evening. Won't do that much because the tires cost too much but it was so much more fun and a better workout due to the rolling resistance.

Specialized Fatboy
    oldbear52 Congrats on the weightloss! Sounds like things are going a lot better for you.

I've had my Fatbike for a little over a week now. After 3 rides I'm convinced I'm cheating. I did 2 rides (not a lot of sleep) last week no prob, before that on my old Giant NRS1 I would've been done after one ride and wouldn't be able to do more than one ride a week. This week I visited an old trail I hadn't been to in a really long time and it was a piece of cake. Again, before it would've been a major all day ride for me. I didn't get all that much sleep again and I still felt I could go ride again later that day. I'm shooting for 3 ride days this week although Wednesday looks like rain. I wonder if I'm cheating myself out of actually getting a workout. Was "spinning my wheels" actually better for me? LOL

With that said there is absolutely no way I'm going back to my NRS1. I absolutely LOVE my blind buy Fatboy!!

mtbr member

Too darn cold!`

I couldn't go to rehab today the high for today was 28 at 4pm. most of the day it hovered around 24 with a wind chill of 22. according to my Doctor I can't go out with a wind chill like that. So I spent the day at home and did some leg lifts and sit ups. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer with a high of 40.
    I finally sold my Trek Marlin ss. Got $300 for it and put the money in the bank towards a Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro. the Trek was just gathering dust. So I am down to three bikes. Of which I only ride one, my Fatty.
    I am glad so many ofyou have decided to ride fat. I really believe that the size of the tires makes us feel more confident when 'shredding' on the trail. I know when I ride the same trails I used to ride on the Trek It really smooths out the bumps and glides over things like roots. Besides all that I don't hurt my butt like I used too.
    Until tomorrow. PEACE. OLdbear

mtbr member
    Hey, Fred, I rode on the road tonight and it was 25 degrees, here in Nashville. Supposed to be in the mid 40's tomorrow. That will feel like a heat wave. Local trails are all closed due to freeze/thaw cycle. Winter isn't my favorite time of year but it presents new challenges. At least, if we get snow, I have a bike for that this year.

mtbr member
    Okay, need some reports. Did a 2 hour and 10 minute very windy road ride again tonight. Still in freeze thaw cycle on all the local dirt. Gotta love winter. NOT

mtbr member
    Local trail was open today. Little slick but no problem with my new fatty. It was great out there tonight. About 2 hours on leafy soft trails. Hope all is well with everyone that has contributed to this thread.

mtbr member
    Hi everyone! I got some greeat news. I can get back on my fatty on December 1st! I have been sooo busy with therapy that I have exceeded my Doctor's expectations. My weight is back down to 256 and all systems are go. I am so glad that next week I am riding again. I put the bike in the shop to replace the rear cassette and adjust the brakes.
    We only got about an inch of snow and that melted but Thanksgiving week end we are expecting a storm.
    We are planning to go to Sedona Az in March for the Mountain bike festival. I will be taking my fat bike and so will my Daughter. We are buying a wall tent and taking along a folding double bed for my wife and I. No more sleeping on the ground. We are way too old for that. lol
    Well until next time......PEACE
    Fred

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    OldBear - I'll bet Dec. 1 can't come fast enough!

My Nightrain is all set now.... So my next ride will be on a Fat bike! Gotta love 'em!
    Last edited by iCollector; 11-24-2014 at 07:46 AM.

mtbr member
    That is good news OldBear52. Very happy, for you.

MPE
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have been following this thread since it started. What an inspiration. Keep at it Oldbear! I am out of commission for a while due to a crash. I wish I was getting back on my Minnesota 2.0 December 1 (like Oldbear), but I am out for several weeks. Looking forward to hearing about your rides Oldbear!

See my other post about recovery times. I did not want to hijack Oldbear's great thread.
    Take care,
    Mike
    Last edited by MPE; 11-25-2014 at 07:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MPE View Post
    I have been following this thread since it started. What an inspiration. Keep at it Oldbear! I am out of commission for a while due to a crash. I wish I was getting back on my Minnesota 2.0 December 1 (like Oldbear), but I am out for several weeks. Looking forward to hearing about your rides Oldbear!

Take care,
    Mike
    Hope you heal up faster than expected. I had a close call tonight in the dark. My depth perception is awful, in the dark, even with good lights. I have only ridden my fat bike, on the trail, since I got it. Traction is addicting. I have got to start riding my other trail bikes. I knew this would happen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I turn 64 in a few days; fat biked 12 miles today on a beer run. Use it to keep the weight down, BP down and it's just plain fun. Have commuted up to the last year, retired and commute around just for fun now. I have a Novara 29er approaching 14,000 miles and the Fat Tire Muk3 has around a 1,000 now. Studded tires for it this winter here in Anchorage, they are cheaper than a trip to the ER and skip the healing time! I teach Scouts the Cycling Merit Badge in the summer and do a century with them as they finish up. The fat tire is easiest on the bones, no need for a suspension. There are times that the 26 Mtn Bike is the best choice but I still prefer the fattie! Low speed handling is superb, can ride along side a neighbor walking and carry on a chat. I ride with the "heavy" tires, I figure when the 10 kg's are off me I'll think about lighter components. Til then, a bit of extra g's makes the ones on me leave faster! Keep on riding!

mtbr member

Therapy is over!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope you are all enjoying friends and family and eatr8ing a lot of turkey! Well yesterday they they released me from therapy. Boy am I glad!
    They even said I could ride today . Which I just got back from. Boy was it nice. I bundled up in my new puffy coat and double sweats and rode around for an hour. It was glorious. I didn't get winded or stop other than to get a drink. My Daughter joined me and we had an excellent time just riding and talking.
    I will head over to the Lion's Club Trail tomorrow and put in some time. It's supposed toi be in the forty degree range tomorrow and into the low 60's Saturday. So I guess I will just go out and enjoy the nice weather.
    So until tomorrow, get out and ride! PEACE.
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Nice to hear this post. I rode one of my favorite local trails for the first time on my new Fat Bike. It is usually a little slick with the leaves and light rain we had last night. I felt like I was cheating. The traction was amazing. I slid out only twice on some leaf covered roots. With my usual 29er I would've slid all over the place a lot of times. I know because I have done it a lot. Now, will I ever ride my other bikes on the trails even when dry. Yes, to compare but in these conditions, no comparison and my average speed was the same or just a tad faster with the trails like this. Woohoo. Took my mom to Cracker Barrel and we only had an hour wait. She had the Turkey Dinner and I had eggs and pancakes. I am not a meat eater and this is about the only day of the year I have pancakes. Have a good ride tomorrow. I hope to ride tomorrow night after work unless something unforeseen happens. Thanks for starting this thread.

mtbr member
    I hope that all of you are trying to work off the dinners of Yesterday. I rode the Lion's Club system today for two hours,. I loved the new tires and the new casette. The trail was leaf covered and those
    Huskerdu's hooked up nicely.
    Robertdavid: you do realize that an egg is a liquid chicken don't you? lol We have Turkey with potatos and dressing with gravy. I had just one plate, of course it was filled to overflowing. I hope you enjoy riding your Fatboy. Sounds like you're hooked.
    The temp here is 55 degrees at 3pm. When we rode it was 48 and I only wore a sweater with a thermal undershirt. Wait a minute I did wear my helmet, gloves, sweats , beanie, shoes and socks.
    Tom wore tights anbd mtn bike winter shoes. My Daughter Beth didn't join us as she had to work. Monday we are planning on going out to Kaintuck Rec. area and ride for a couple hours. It is only gong to hit 31 so all my wintergear will be worn.
    I have started to store my bike in my bedroom. Somebody tried to cut off the lock on our apartment storage locker so instead of losing my fatty it sits next to my desk. My daughter put a different lock on the locker and we are storing just extra stuff. Her bikes sit inn the kitchen along with our trailer. It's a big kitchen and we still have room to cook and get my wifes wheelchair out. one of the resident's had a couple stay with him and they once tried to tkae our bikes when we had them locked together on the rail outside. Whenn I caught the husband with a wire cutter in his hand standing over our bikes he ran away. So I think it was him or his wife, (they are meth heads). I saw my neighbor and he said they stole some stuff from him when they moved out. When they 'lived' here they rode two heavily repainted mtn bikes. I reported this attempted theft to the Police and they came out and finger printed the lock and door of the unit. So now they won't have a chance to pilfer through our stuff.
    Anyway other than that things have been pretty quiet in my little corner of the Ozarks.
    Until Tomorrow: PEACE Oldbear.

mtbr member
    I rode from home tonight to a local trail and with the road and trail it was right at 2 hours. I rode my hardtail 29er and it was fun but on the trail, it wasn't as much fun as my Fatty. I am almost afraid to ride my favorite Single speed and not like it as much because I love SS riding. So, if it isn't as enjoyable, I may sell two or three bikes in the spring and get another fatty set up single speed maybe. I like to ride a lot of different surfaces and the fat bike is good for all gravel or dirt but I don't want it on pavement. Fat Tires are too expensive to wear them out on hard surfaces.

Fred, glad you are back in the saddle. From my little corner of the world, stay healthy and keep the rubber side down.

and here is a good picture of a Fatboy SL

https://eriksbikeandboard.files.word...07/photo-4.jpg

mtbr member

A Fat singlespeed in my future?

robertdavid: like you I enjoy single speeds. I just sold my 26" Trek Marlin SS, and, I miss it already! Even though I am converted to a fat bike lifestyle, I have sellers remorse. But I just looked at the Bikesdirect,com website and found that they are running a sale on some Gravity Bullseye Monster SS. I mentioned this to my wife and she said that Monday I can order one!
    Back in the day I used to ride a converted BSA bike that I retrieved from a dump in Price Utah. I set it up with some Specialized tires, a straight Handle bars and a nice seat. Of course it had coasterbrakes and a Sturmey Archer 'kick back two speed 'kick back' hub on the rear, But I used it anyway. I also added an old Pletcher rack on the rear to hold books. and a clamped on water bottle mount. I rode that bike to and from the College of Eastern Utah for a year and even took it down to Moab a few times to run errands when we camped near town. So now I'll own two fattys.
    3shmitz: Keep up the good work! This Fat Bike lifestyle is addicting! Although I am two years younger than you, I can tell you that cycling has once changed my life. Since late June I have lost 57 pounds. going from 313 pounds down to 256. and my waist has dropped from 64" to 56". Also after this most recent stroke, I owe my rapid recovery to getting fit through riding my fatty. like you I didn't change my tires until recently, because I wanted to wear out the ones that came on my fatty.
    I went from an out of shape walrus, (I have a beard) to a Clydesdale. When I first got back into cycling, I could barely make it up a couple inclines without stopping and walking my bike to a fat biker that can ride up hills without a break, at first I stuck to the pavement and paved bike trails in town and worked up to riding off road on some sweet singletrack and fire roads in the national forest near home. So just keep on riding and you'll lose those unwanted pounds.
    So until later toady, everyone get out and ride! PEACE The Oldbear

mtbr member
    I may be joining the ranks of fat biking soon as I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Gravity Deadeye Monster - a SS version of the Bullseye it seems. I love SS, so for $399, I don't know how I can resist! haha

Another Clyde...
    Hey Oldbear52, I am so glad you are healthy and back at it.

You made me realize that that life is too short. I ordered the fat bike I have been lusting for over the last few months. I am like a kid at Christmas, I can't wait. I got an amazing deal. Unfortunately my cargo bike will have to go back but they assured me when I bought it that that was not a problem and they encouraged me not to hesitate.

I will have to share some pictures when it gets here if you would like to see them.
    Ride while you can...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
    Hey Oldbear52, I am so glad you are healthy and back at it.

You made me realize that that life is too short. I ordered the fat bike I have been lusting for over the last few months. I am like a kid at Christmas, I can't wait. I got an amazing deal. Unfortunately my cargo bike will have to go back but they assured me when I bought it that that was not a problem and they encouraged me not to hesitate.

I will have to share some pictures when it gets here if you would like to see them.
    Good for you and ride that thing like the devil.

mtbr member

owie owie owie

I haven't written lately not because there's nothing to write about, but because I am battling a couple of impacted teeth with tons of swelling. I used to chew redman tobacco and all that sweetness rotted my teeth. I can't see a dentist until next week so I am taking painkillers and antibiotics. So gentle readers, if you do chew please for the health of your mouth please please please quit.
    I ordered my single speed Monday! A 19" Gravity Deadeye Monster in black. It probably will get here on Monday. I am anxious to get it and ride the Lion's Club trail.
    We have been riding a lot into the national forest lately. I ahve been checking my blood pressure and heart rate and I see a lot of improvement in my recovery time. It used to take up to 45 minutes for my heart rate to drop down to 65. Now with8in 30-35 minutes I drop to 33 to 60.
    I really enjoyed our outing to the Kaintuck Red. Area. We rode out there for three hours and for safety's sake wore safety orange vests, as it is archery season. It was cold but we bundled up and just had a time of it.
    Today< Friday, I will rest. right now at 3:15am it is 46f out and I think it might hit 60! i might just switch my rest day back to Sunday. lol
    Remember this, It's only 20 days until Christmas. It is the season for giving. so donate to the Salvation Army to help those in need.
    PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

mtbr member
    Tis the season. Good to hear you are feeling better. Not good to hear you will require a dental visit. Thanks for starting this forum.

mtbr member

Happy global fat bike day!

Greetings everyone! I hope you all got out and rode today. Here the weather was chilly as it only hit the mid 30's. And boy was it overcast!

We hit the Berryman trail today at 8:30 am. Since it rained yesterday the trail was a little slick and a little muddy. But we put about 20 miles on it. We rode ten miles in and returned to our van. Our group numbered four. My daughter, my middle son, Tom and I.
    My son had brought down his walgoose dolo, but, instead of riding that he rode my Gravity Deadeye Monster ss. It came in yesterday and it is nice. It took me fifteen minutes to assemble and do any minor adjustments to it, mainly the brakes. I just used the same measurements off my Bullseye Monster so it went real quick. I got mine in black with a 19" frame.
    We traded back and forth and he fell in love with both. So for a late Christmas present I am ordering him one in yellow.

As we rode we laid out plans for our rides for the next month. We are going to attempt to ride the Katy Trail next weekend, Binder Lake the week before Christmas and when my son comes down for New Year's Eve and day, the Berryman again. This ti9me he is brining his Mini van so we can ride it end to end.

I really enjoyed my ride on the SS today. I found that it handles really well and corners like a 29'er. I did notice a difference between the tires though. On the stock tires the SS has a bit of a problem self steer. I will be changing the to something from Surly in 4" Does anyone have a suggestion?

I will own three fatties in April. I am saving two hundred a month for a BD Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro. I will equip the stock monster for running errands and shopping. My trail time will be split between the SS and the Pro.

I now weigh in at 248. That means that have lost a total of 65 pounds. My goal of losing 50lbs buy Christmas has been exceeded by 15lbs. By the way, I had blood work done at a clinic and before, six months aAgo, My triglycerides were way high. Now they are at the low end of the normal scale Plus my good cholesterol was normal as well as my 'bad'. The only bad report was my A1C that was 9.5. Which means my Doctor is going to have to adjust my meds again and maybe add something. I never eat refined white sugar and sweets like cookies from the store.I guess my downfall is that we are all ice cream junkies. Our favorite is chocolate chip cookie dough. Instead of sugar we use Splenda and Stevia. Another aspect covered by the test was Iron content. Back in June 2014, I was diagnosed with anemia. The blood test revealed that anemia is no longer a problem. As I have stated before I owe all the improvements to a healthier diet and and my Fat Bike lifestyle.

My daughter is going to buy a Go-pro camera in January. Maybe I will be able to post some videos for everyone to see. I wish we had it with today, so, I could have taped some rather Knarly downhill stuff on our trek. I rode the SS on two downhills and never came close to endoing over the bars once.

So until Tonight (it's 12:56am here) remember to keep the rubber side down PEACE
    Olkdbear (aka Fred)

mtbr member
    Great success story ^^
    It is amazing how something so enjoyable can have such positive health outcomes.

More power to you brah

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad ™
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Nice post Oldbear. Glad to hear you are hitting your goals and enjoying it, in the process. I will ride a local trail today for awhile on my Fatboy. Saturday is my usual off the bike day.

mtbr member

i AM SORRY.

i want to apologize to all you who read this post, because, I called the Dolomite a Walgoose. If you remember when I started this thread I used to own one and for the first two weeks of my quest I rode mine religiously. So if any of you got offended I am sorry. I really don't want to come off as a bike snob. If you have one and it works for you great.

Today was supposed to be my 'off' day, nut, my son David came down and we went to St. James to have a 'fun' day riding the Forest City Trails. Today he rode my Bullseye Monster and I rode the SS. We rode for about two hours and had a ball. There were some hikers taking a stroll on the trail with theuir dogs. We stopped and chatted awhile with them. They said that they ride the trails i the other three seasons and they were surprised to see bikers out 'this late in the season". They had seen fat bikes on the web and never thought of getting one because they are, to them, a one season bike They tried both bike while we held their dogs and they loved it. They even asked where they could ones like ours and we told them about bikes direct. We even exchanged phone numbers so that when they get theirs we could ride together. I told them of the improvement in my health that fattys has caused. The husband of one of the women said took up cycling to get more healthy too. he is in his late forties and had been a smoker for thirty years and a heavy drinker. After a heart attack he decided to take up a healthy lifestyle. Now he has shed 40 pounds down to 200 and has quit smoking and drinking. So these folks will be joining our little band in January

(I just heard from Jim and Patty. They were so impressed by the BD site they ordered two Gravity Bullseye Monsters and will get them sooner than they expected to.)

Well tomorrow is going to be my rest day. I really need one. I had to take arthritis meds today something I haven't done for six months.

So until tomorrow... PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i want to apologize to all you who read this post, because, I called the Dolomite a Walgoose...
    Nutt'n wrong with calling either my Beast or my Dolo a Walgoose.

The Dolo is on the upper end of "Walgoose", and a level above a typical Walgoose in some ways, but it sure doesn't hurt to remind people of what that bike is or isn't. In fact, I'd call that doing people a service, so if they're looking to go that route, they may stop and research a little more, so they understand what they'll be getting, and getting into, so they can make an informed choice. Very important for getting the most value for what money one has to spend.

mtbr member
    I rode my favorite local trail today and Montgomery Bell State Park. Rode my Fatboy for close to 5 hours. Trail is pretty tight and twisty and hilly. I loved every minute of it. Great way to start my week.

mtbr member

My day 'off'

Today was suppose dot be my day 'off'' Needless to say I still went out to run some errands, and, since we do not own a car, I rode my bike.
    I hooked up our trailer to my Deadeye SS since it was only supposed to be a out and back ride to kroger's'. As I was entering the store I noticed a fatty chained to one of the brick posts out front. It looked very familiar. I went to the frozen food isle and there was Tom. He said he was just picking up a few items but his cart was loaded. I told him I had the trailer hook up and we decided that instead of calling a taxi we would just haul his stuff to his house together. thank God it's mostly flat to get to his house.
    We rode back to my place and he succeeded in persuading me into going for a ride. I removed the trailer and off we went. As we rode down 63 south toi Lion's club park I had little problem with most of it. The last climb on the bike path was almost my undoing. Usually when I go out to the trail in Lion's Club park, I ride my Bullseye Monster. but, Tom talked me into going with the SS. As we climbed up grade I was fine, however, I had problems in the last 150 yards and almost got off and walked the bike. Tom took the lead and I wheel sucked my way up.
    At the Park, we rode three laps and then headed home. I just love this SS! Today, Tuesday, we are heading to St. James to ride the trails there. We also have to change to tires on Tom's bike. H ejust gotn some surly tires and tubes.
    So, everyone, have a great dya and go out and shred some dirt, leaves or whatever! Until later today, PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

mtbr member
    Very Nice.

mtbr member

Finally, a day off.

Finally, I HAD MY OFF DAY. Although it didn't mean I didn't do anything bike related. I surfed the web all morning reading on Fat-Bike.com and looked at some other posts here on the forum. I was glad that we didn't ride today as the zipper in my new coat broke and the temperature only hit the mid 30's.

I talked to Tom about our ride tomorrow. we decided to go out to the Kaintuck area and meet up with Patty and Jim. They are going to bring their 29ers and we hope to ride for about three hours and then have a lunch at my apartment.

While talking to Jim I found out that they want to head to Sedona for the Mountain Bike Festival in March. They have a class "a" motor home that can sleep six. That means that all of our group could go together and split the gas costs. I said we should form a club of sorts and hold meetings once a month to decide which trails to ride and to be able to volunteer some time to trail maintainence. Tom said he has a 14' enclosed trailer we can use to haul our bikes. tools and misc. stuff.

So until tomorrow....PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

mtbr member

P.s.

Just a quick p.s.. I had an appointment with my Cardiologist for a routine pacemaker function check. They weighed me and checked my waist size. In the past week, (roughly) I have dropped another 6lbs and my waist has dropped to 48" down from 58" at the beginning of my quest for health.
    PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

mtbr member
    Very nice weight and inches lost. :O I rode about 2 hours tonight at Percy Warner trail. It was a nice night for a ride. Love my new light.

Another Clyde...
    My new bike cleared customs and should be delivered tomorrow! Who can sleep?

Great job on the progress Oldbear52! Keep up the good work.
    You are an inspiration!
    Ride while you can...

mtbr member
    Fred you are the man! Cheers from Ontario Canada.
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

mtbr member
    Just returned from riding. I went out to Lion's Club and put in nearly an hour when I started feeing woozy. I had to call a friend to come get me as i had a headache and nausea. I guess I caught a bug. I think that I caught it from my wife's aide. So, I only put in about 12 miles today off road. Had to stop and get some pepto and sinus meds. My legs were fine it is just I was woozy for leaving my breakfast on the trail. Out of our intrepid little throng only my daughter, Tom amd Jim aren't effected. I even had my flu shot! So It usually only lasts 24 hours with me so I should be riding tomorrow afternoon. But I am not gonna push it. It is supposed to be near 50 tomorrow so I won't get that chilled.
    I want to thank all of you gentle readers, for letting me have this little thread for relating my story as it unfolds day by day.
    All of you serve as an inspiration to me and I love the responses and tales you tell.
    Fishman: I hope you enjoy your bike as much as I enjoy mine. Fat biking is more than a curiosity it is a viable part of the Mountain bike culture and a very real lifestyle.
    Until next time....... PEACE
    OLdbear (aka Fred)

mtbr member

Canadian Roots.

Greg-o: I thank you for the nice note. I have Canadian Heritage in my blood line. Three of my ancestors hail from Canada I want to visit there some day and also Scotland and Ireland. They were all immigrants to the USA during the 1850's. Two were from Nova Scotia and one from New Foundland.
    PEACE
    oLDBEAR (aka Fred)

MPE
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Take care of yourself oldbear and keep riding when you are feeling up to it. You have been an inspiration. I am living vicariously through your ride posts. I am out of action for a while more due to an injury (see my post asking about recovery times). Enjoy and appreciate your rides, because it really stinks being on the injured reserved!

Take care,

Mike

mtbr member
    OldBear, hope you have a speedy recovery. Being sick is no fun at all. I rode from home to the trail, about 10 miles on the trail and back for 22 miles total. Was a little cold outside but it was a great ride and the trail was in great shape. Keep posting. This is the only thread I regularly look at.

mtbr member
    Today, although it was overcast and chilly, I went to Binder Lake up near Jefferson City. The trails were in real good shape. We rode the entire system which took about two hours and loved it. My heart rate got up in the 90 range and after a half hour it dropped back to 56. My oxygen level stayed at 98 and my blood pressure during the ride never got real high. 140/98 during and 130/80 after.
    Jim and Patty got their bikes today and we spent the afternoon assembling them and adjusting them to their needs. Patty got the silver Monster and Jim got the matte black. We added water bottle cages and the vp pedals they bought via ebay. We then rode a lap at Lion's Club and had dinner at BK. I know it doesn't sound healthy but they have diet Dr. Pepper cherry vanilla on tap.
    So all min all I had a great day 18 miles and fellowship with the crew, what more could I ask for.
    Until tomorrow.......PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

mtbr member
    Tonight was pretty chilly. The trail was in really good shape tonight. Fatboy and I had a good ride. 2 hours and about 18 miles. I can make so much more stuff than I can on my other bikes that I feel like I am cheating. Keep the thread alive Oldbear because it is a good one. I ride by myself a lot due to work schedule but that is okay.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Oldbear - you're the best!

i read all your posts and take them to heart.... you show us what determination can really accomplish! once more - I salute you!!

mtbr member

A move to moab.

I just got a phone call from a friend in Utah. Seems he bought a couple of mobile homes in Moab and wants us to move there next fall. My wife and I are going to seriously discuss this and see what happens. We love Moab and the surrounding country and we have always talked about moving there when I turn 65. That's only 3 years away and it sure woul;d be nice to live in the desert again. But don't worry, as it's a long way off and even if we do move there I plan on keeping this thread alive.
    ro0bertdavid: I love to read your posts. and love to hear how your Fatboy is doing. keep at it.
    Until tomorrow .........PEACE
    Oldbear52 (aka Fred)
    P.s>....The Mobile is a 4 bdrm on a slab with a big storage shed. Plenty of room for visitors. Ob52

mtbr member
    Hope you do what your head and your heart wishes. This thread is very inspirational. Wish there were a lot more like them.

mtbr member
    This Morning, I saw some pics of the house in Moab. It is nice. I really like the layout. It has the master suite at one end and three more bedrooms at the other. So we'll have at least one extra bedroom for guests if my daughter moves with us, and, two if she doesn't.

Today I will be riding my SS around town and over to Lion's Club.

Also keep me in your thoughts and prayers. I found a knot above my navel this morning and it's painful. Going to see my primary care doctor this afternoon. I think it might be a hernia.

Another Clyde...
    I hope everything is ok Oldbear52.

I had the safety check done and had my fenders put on the new bike. Finally got to take it for a spin, WOW! I am going to love this bike but I think I need to drop the gearing a bit.

Here are a couple teaser pics. Sorry about the lighting.

Fat Biking and health-img_20141212_124105-m.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_20141212_132708-m.jpg
    Ride while you can...

mtbr member
    Fisherman: I hope you enjoy your bike as much as I enjoy mine. The ppics you posted are neat. Are you getting one like that too? It looks like an ideal bike for commuting and hauling stuff.

Went out with my son to Lion's Club to ride. We rode for about two hours. It sure is nice not to have a lot of others out there, especially hikes with dogs. Did a little work at speed. My BP before the ride was 120/78 and as soon as we got home it was 140/90. my heart rate went from 56 to 100 and back down around 60 a half hour after the ride.

Until later........PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

Another Clyde...
    Fisherman: I hope you enjoy your bike as much as I enjoy mine. The ppics you posted are neat. Are you getting one like that too? It looks like an ideal bike for commuting and hauling stuff.

Until later........PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)
    The one in the pics is mine
    Ride while you can...

mtbr member
    Oldbear, give us a report on what your Doctor told you about the knot above your navel. Sheesh, you need a breather from all this medical stuff. IMHO

mtbr member
    robertdavid; Tell me about it. I guess it's just a fluke. Or could be just a part of getting older. It didn't bother me at all when I rode today.

mtbr member

Bad news - good news

Bad news I didn't get in a ride today because I spent time in the ER. I don't have to go into the hospital for surgery! I did however find out that this strain of flu running around here isn't effected by my flu shot. I have the virus that seems to be making it's rounds in this area. I should able able top ride tomorrow.

Annnnd that means a long ride from Jefferson City to Hermann on the KATY. My son is going to have a friend follow him to Hermann to park his van and then all six of us are going to ride together the KATY. Around 60 miles.

My Friend Sean in Utah sent me a DVD of a ride he took at Slickrock in Moab. He even video'd a complete sunset shot for the rocks above Slickroick in the Sand Flats area. I spent awhile and watched it. It was real refreshing to watch a sunset from my future home.

until tomorrow......PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

mtbr member
    ...I did however find out that this strain of flu running around here isn't effected by my flu shot. I have the virus that seems to be making it's rounds in this area. I should able able top ride tomorrow...
    If you have the flu please check the consequences of exerting yourself.

Before riding.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Hey Fred, don't push yourself too much if you gave the flu. I know how you feel about not missing a ride. Keep us posted.

mtbr member
    I am on the downward side of the virus. but, we decided not to do the ride tomorrow. Instead it will be my rest day as scheduled.

It looks like the move is on in October. Next spring we will have two rooms ready for visitors. Sean says that he has enough extra furniture for two bedrooms, living room, kitchen and sun porch. This will be the first time my wife and I will have a king size bed! Plus Sean will take us to Provo to shop at the Mormon thrift shop, Deseret Industries for what ever we want. I hope to find some Hawaiian shirts as they are my favorite to ride in. Also sometimes they get de0cent bikes real cheap from their returning missionaries. I picked up a decent Diamond back there in 1992 for $6.00!

On the weather front here in the Ozarks they are calling for SNOW on Friday and Saturday. 3-5". I hope it does that.

Until Tomorrow---------PEACE
    Oldbear (aka) Fred

mtbr member

A Quiet Day In the Ozarks.

It's been a quiet day here. I did ride a little to Kroger 's and back to get supper and soda. Almost 60 here today. I rode with 0my wind breaker and wind pants. All I have left of the virus is a case of the sniffles.
    Other than that how was everybody's Sunday?

Until Tomorrow..........PEACE
    Oldbear (akla Fred)

mtbr member
    I rode 45 miles at Jackrabbit trails in Hiawasee, NC today. Someone wanted to take a picture of my Fatboy. I loved every mile I rode. Taking a day off from work tomorrow then heading home. Life is too short to not enjoy some of it. Glad you are feeling better Oldbear. When I was in college I worked one summer at Silver Dollar City. That was in 1978 or 79. Never got back there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Managed to get out for a short ride. Still getting used to the fat bike - and platform pedals. Those suckers really do hoed your feet pretty darn Good!

It was mild here inn So. CT, around 45 I think. I have to get the bike on the stand and adjust the shifting now that I have to some miles on it. I never realized how easy it is to 'keep warm' when it's cool out.... Just get on a mtn. bike and pedal!

mtbr member
    Hello all! I haven't been too active today as the temps were a little too cold to ride. But I did ride yesterday. We went to St. James and played awhile. I kinda developed little sinus drip and my throat is a little sore. But, other than that I feel real fine.

It's supposed to snow and then freezing drizzle here tonight and tomorrow. But I will bundle up and ride if it snows. Freezing drizzle is another matter. I don't have studded tires to handle the ice. LOL.

But I will get out and ride my my Deadeye Monster SS. I won't take out the Bullseye 'cuz I don't want to mess up the gearing in a fall or with slushy ice.

Our handicapped son's Deadeye monster came today. I wan to put on some different tires and make sure he can handle the brakes. So far he rode it around the parking lot and seems to be Okay with using them. So now we have four fat bikes in the apartment. A neighbor asked if he could 'borrow' it to ride to work. Of course we said an emphatic NO! I could just see him selling it for meth.

right now at 7:46pm it's 34f and feels like 29.
    Until tomorrow----------PEACE
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    I don't let anyone "borrow my bikes". Nice call on that one. Four fat bikes in one place. Must be a big bike room.
    Last edited by robertdavid; 12-18-2014 at 04:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Two in my bedroom and two in the kitchen. LOL. If I haven't said yet............
    ............Merry Christmas to all who follow this thread.
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

mtbr member
    Rode about 40 miles on local trail today. Very nice December day. Have a nice holiday season.

mtbr member

Shingles!

A little itching on my arm turned into a rash and into SHINGLES! I've been asking myself, "What am I, Job?" Sooooooo I have been off the bike since Wednesday and won't get to ride until the start of January. I am beginning to think that the move to Moab is a real good Idea. Out there I am not dependent on Benadryl of other antihistamines and my nose doesn't run like a faucet.
    I did receive good news though I hit 238 over the past few weeks. sooooo i have surpassed my goal of 50lbs by Christmas! I have lost since July a total of 75 pounds!
    We did get snow Wednesday and my son got to ride in it with his sister. They rode on the grass because the pavement was clear we got about an inch on the grass, and , like typical Missouri weather it melted by Thursday morning. Itwas sloppy and real wet. I wish I was okay and could have ridden too.
    Until tomorrow--------Peace
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Nice work on the weight loss, that is remarkable. I seen shingles and it is no joke. Hoping it passes very quickly and you can get out there again.

mtbr member
    Dang Oldbear and congratulations at the same time. Hope you heal faster than expected.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Congrats on the weight loss! that is REAL accomplishment!

Good luck with the shingles - that can be a real pain -literally!

Hope you get to ride sooner that you expect> Long lay offs are the worst for keeping on track!

mtbr member
    Have a Fat and Merry Christmas and a healthy and happy 2015.

mtbr member

Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas! I am past the rash stages thanks to meds. So, I took a Ride today. My kids were all here and we all rode except for Sean, my handicapped son. SURE WAS QUIET. We saw a kid on his new fatbike. He just got a Trek Farley 6. Nice present for a fourteen year old. We stopped and talked to his dad and he is getting one too.
    My present form the kids was a Surly wool cycling hat. It sure is warm and fits under my helmet.
    so how was everybody's day?
    Until tomorrow----------------PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

mtbr member
    I rode at Montgomery Bell for 21 miles which takes about 2.6 hours in winter conditions. Trail tread was leafy but very nice, a little damp, with all the rain we've had. That places soaks up water like nothing I have ever seen. That was a 8 o'clock start time then back home and over to my sister's for Christmas meal and all that stuff. She outdid herself as usual.

My fat bike makes this time of year a lot more enjoyable to ride. The traction is ridiculous compared to regular mountain bike tires. Looking like a pavement or long gravel ride on Sunday due to the weather. Road ride on Friday and Saturday off from biking. Thanks for the report. Keeps me honest. Glad you are on the mend.

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden too much lately because I have a minor sinus infection. But I did ride on Saturday. We went to a area down south of our town in a little town called Edgar Springs and went into the national forest to explore some old logging and game trails.
    I rode with my daughter and Tom. We had lunch down in licking and throughly enjoyed.

mtbr member

mtbr member

National forest trails.

Actually we rode on some logging roads about 9 miles west of Edgar Springs out near a little unincorporated town called Flat. Back about four years ago we lived there and I explored the roads around the area. I had an old Diamondback that a neighbor gave me that I just wore out.

It was way too cold too cold to ride today, as it only hit 30f with a wind chill of 21. So tomorrow I am getting all kinds of winter g4ear and have the zipper fixed on my down coat. or maybe break out an old snowmobile parka.

UntilTomorrow-------PEACE
    oldbear

mtbr member
    Have a good ride today and a great 2015. It is basically here. I am having to ride a lot of pavement as it is wetter than wet everywhere else.

mtbr member
    Lucked out and got the first day of the year off. I rode my fatty at Montgomery Bell Mountain Bike trail for 3 hours. Took mom to Cracker Barrel in the afternoon and did her and my laundry and got my grocery shopping done. Nice day to be off. Hope you all had a good start to 2015.

mtbr member
    PWP trail was frozen late afternoon. Rode 1.5 hours, about 13 miles. Windchill of minus 4, air temp 15, and the only place I felt cold was my face. Great traction on the crunchy trail and had a good time. Who wouldn't?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
    You ok oldbear52?
    I second this question.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    PWP trail was frozen late afternoon. Rode 1.5 hours, about 13 miles. Windchill of minus 4, air temp 15, and the only place I felt cold was my face. Great traction on the crunchy trail and had a good time. Who wouldn't?

Thats a stretch -4! you're a tank!!

mtbr member
    What happened to this thread?

mtbr member
    Fred we're missing your updates, hope all is well with ya!
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

NYC Rollin Fattyz
    Hey OldBear52! It's been 2 weeks since your last post!
    Once You Go Fat.....You'll Never Go Back!

mtbr member

Stents, stents stents. plus recovery.

I just underwent surgery to place three stents in my arteries leading to my hearts left side. I was havibng chest pains after a ride on the Berryman and had to go to the ER. They found some blockage and decided to stent me. So I am off the bike again for a month. AndI have to go to rehab again starting next week. I hope to be back on the bike in Mid February.

mtbr member
    Despite the surgery I do have some positive news. I have hit 225lbs! Annnnnd my Cardiologist says that will contribute to a repaid recovery. I off insulin and just taking metaformin for my sugar. My sugar hasn't gone above 190 for two months.
    All during this time my wife and other friends have been super supportive. I was surprised when the Doctor released me three days early. i would have stayed seven days to begin rehab and recover but they decided I could recover at home faster. So who knows maybe i'll be back o n the Mo0nster by Feb. 1st!
    Until tomorrow------------Peace
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Despite the surgery I do have some positive news. I have hit 225lbs! Annnnnd my Cardiologist says that will contribute to a repaid recovery. I off insulin and just taking metaformin for my sugar. My sugar hasn't gone above 190 for two months.
    All during this time my wife and other friends have been super supportive. I was surprised when the Doctor released me three days early. i would have stayed seven days to begin rehab and recover but they decided I could recover at home faster. So who knows maybe i'll be back o n the Mo0nster by Feb. 1st!
    Oldbear
    So glad to see your post and know you are okay even though you aren't 100%. Your thread has reached out to a lot of people in a very positive manner. So when you cannot post, you need to teach your family members to keep us informed. Heal up fast and quit having to go to the doctors so much.

mtbr member
    Oldbear
    I enjoy your posts, always positive, and they leave me with a smile. Glad to hear you are on the mend, hope you feel better soon!

mtbr member
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again - oldbear is one of the reasons I come to this forum so often. He's an inspiration to everyone.

Take some time to rest oldbear, the bike will be waiting!

mtbr member
    Hope you are feeling better Oldbear. I rode an extra loop for you , last night, at my local trail. Heal up. Best wishes.

mtbr member
    Hope you are feeling better OldBear. Keep us posted, please.

mtbr member
    Hey Fred, long time, no posts?

mtbr member

I am here

I have been busy with rehab. I am feeling pretty good and recovering quickly. The doxctors and therapists expect me to be back on the bike by mid February. I have progressed so quickly that the doctor has let me begin walking everyday for an hour outside around town. I wAlked and paid bills today, and even carried homesome fixns for supper, which didn't materialize because my wife wanted a Dminos pacific veggie pizza. I am expeeriencing a little trouble with diabetic nuerapathy amd thedoctor added some pretty serious stuff to fight it. I came home took thde meds and slept for two hours. lol. It's supposed to asnow here on Sunday and the crew is gearing up for it. aAt the clinixc where I do my rehab I use the same model saddle that is on my bike. the stock saddle on their stationary bikes are what I call tractor seats.THey look like ones senio9r citizens in Foorida ride on their4 trikes around their retirement communities. One thing is they let mew ride for a half hour at my own pace and

they
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    Hey Fred, long time, no posts?

beer thief
    Heal up Fred. Hope you are better soon

mtbr member

Let Me Finish.

I wasgoing to share more but this dinosaur latop of mine froze up. So anyway, I get to ride on a saddle that is just like meine. I ride at my own pace for 1/2 hour and feel no ill effects.

mtbr member
    So glad to hear you are recovering well. Keep the updates coming when you can.

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast