Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the update and you better keep em coming. Good luck at the Doctor tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey I just found this thread, this is awesome, congrats OldBear!! Inspiring to many of us, who understand just a tiny bit or more what you're going through. I bet those nurses love to hear about your cycling!

mtbr member
    Hey, old bear, need a doctor's report soon. Hope it all went well.

mtbr member

Doctor says all systems go!

ETchipolte and robertdavid: Went to the Doctor at 10nam and found out I've lost another 4 pounds! She said that I need my yearly Lipid test and made a referral to a Dermatologist for a sore on my ear. Then I went for my daily ride. Rode four laps out at Lion's Club and It was great. Beautiful early fall day high of 84 and clear skies. The trees are starting to become a lighter shade of green, and It is a little less humid. then a slight accident at home, , We raise guppies and Angelfish and there was a bucket on the floor and I stepped into it spraining my Right big toe! I really hurt but It's night here as I write this, and , aspirin will have to suffice along with elevating it when I go to bed. Luckily I can still get my cycling shoes on. By the way as a post script I forgot to put down my weight 265. The weight keeps coming off the more I cycle. We are looking to replace are 1980's bike trailer with something new. (and lighter) any suggestions? Peace Fred

beer thief
    Keep up the good work, Fred! You are getting stronger every day.

mtbr member
    Good for you and not so good about your toe. Ice that puppy.

mtbr member
    My toe wasn't broke Thank God. So I did a little ride to St. James and back. I am anxious for the colder weather. It is supposed to rain tomorrow so I'll use it as a rest day. I noticed that my recovery rate is about 20 minutes after a ride. My heart rate today reached 100 and after the ride It was 60. My toe didn't give me any trouble at all.

mtbr member

Rain, rain, RAIN!

It rained all day off and on so I didn't get to ride. I don't like to ride on the Lion's Club trail after rain like this because of the potential for trail damage. Even though the trail is hard packed I just don't want to do any damage and ruin it for others. I have shared trails in Utah where the equestrians rode after a spring storm and the damage their horses did. Luckily we has a BLM ranger that was a Mountain Biker and he got a crew of us together to repair the damage. the repair crew was all volunteer and mostly bikers and families that hiked the trails on weekends the local equestrians did not volunteer at all. but that was twenty plus years ago and the equestrians now cooperate more. But here I guess tomorrow I will put on sweats and a hoodie and ride some gravel roads just outside town or ride the bike path or maybe both. When we lived in Utah trail advocacy was in it's infancy. There was a state rep that tried to get a special tax passed on 'offroad bicycles". His reasoning was to fund search and rescue so that stranded bicyclists could be rescued. The funny thing was there was never a rescue done for a Mountain biker, but, plenty for horse people who got lost in the high desert.
    I guess I am a little off topic but I guess Fat bikers are a mostly prepared lot that when going deep into the wilderness got loaded with survival supples and equipment. I carry a lot of extra gear in a back pack like a sheet of plastic and a space blanket and parachute chord to build a temporary shelter. plus I am a radio amateur (ham) and I carry a fully charged handheld two way radio so I can get help faster than a cell phone even though I carry one of those too. But Mainly I ride for health and to enjoy the scenery. I used to road race back in the sixties and seventies and was in excellent health. I quit in 81 and began to suffer weight gain. I kept cycling but I was as intense as used to be. I rode touring bikes and dabbled in riding centuries. It wasn't until '85 that I bought my first Mtn bike and the rest is history. PEACE Fred, OLDBEAR

mtbr member
    Keep up the great work/play. It is nice to hear that you are doing something about feeling healthier. Good choice, IMHO.

mtbr member
    Today was a treat for me. We went up to Columbia and rode out along the KATY trail for twenty miles out and twenty miles back The weather was great and I even did some intervals with my fatty against my daughter on her trek. Needless to say she did better than I. It was a blast from the past to do those and I recovered quickly between sessions. I hit 263 today and my son who is autistic said "Dad you're getting skinny". "Well, you are losing weight too.' I replied and he said "yeah". Along with the abundant sunshine, the temp only got up to 74 here today. and tomorrow is supposed to be more of the same. the coolest day they are forecasting this week is Friday, 61 for a high and mid forties for a low. Fall is here!

mtbr member
    Nice ride. I rode 47 miles at one of my favorite trails on Sunday also. Keep up the good play because that's what it is. It's play that makes us feel better and alive.

mtbr member

A forced day of rest.......

I guess that the title says it all....a forced day of rest....... You know that when you have some health problems you can only push the envelope so far. I did that on Monday. I tried to ride part of the Ozark Trail and hit the 'wall'> so Tuesday was a 'forced day of rest". I got sick and had to take it easy. I had the sniffles and a sore throat along with a weird stiff neck. My temp hit 101.9! I am pretty much over it now....Wednesday Morning at 4 am.....So I am planning a light ride around the block twice about four miles in length.

mtbr member

21 miles today!

I rode 21 miles today. Most of it on dirt/gravel. The saddle time was split 80 percent off road and 20 on road. I enjoyed the workout and felt no ill effects in the least. The weather was beautiful and warm. I tested my Oxygen level/pulse mid point and it was 97/89. When I had my 20 minute cool down it was 98/61. my weight is 260lbs. and I feel less fatigue in my legs. When I started my program of cycling my legs would fell like rubber for a half hour after a strenuos (?) ride and It was not the best time to walk. But now I feel just a slight fatigue and it's pretty good. Saturday, we plan on riding the Kaintuck area and do a little Trout fishinbg and have a fish fry at home that night. It should be a nice time with my daughter and son who is coming down from Jefferson City.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    ...When I started my program of cycling my legs would fell like rubber for a half hour after a strenuos (?) ride and It was not the best time to walk. But now I feel just a slight fatigue and it's pretty good...
    I would say you are over the hump then. Now it's going to get easier each time.

One thing I have noticed about heavy people who lose weight is that they usually have very strong legs. We need to get you on a singlespeed now.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Glad you are feeling better. I always take one day per week off from riding and listen to my body even when I do not want to.

mtbr member

RAIN Rain RAin!

yesterday was another RaIN day! So I went for a walof all places, wallyworld. But today was far different......Just 24 hours later and it was perfect fall weather!. We went out to the trails at Kaintuck rec area. Spent about our hours out there riding and cleaning up our campsite. Seems that some teens or others found our site and used it as a party site. we packed out three bags of trash. they had made a nice bench out of a dead tree and we thank them for that, they also built a bigger fire ring too. again thanks. didn't do any fisas that time was spent cleaning but we did get in some ride time. we really enjoyed the day and the main loop out there and even expo;ored a bit of single track too. Didn't check the usual heart rate + oxygen level so sorry guys, nut I did real well even when climbing out of the saddle. Hope you all had awesome days wherever you are today around the globe. Asw the Rev. Robert Schuller used to quote form the Psalms: "this is the day the Loed hath made let us rejoice and be glad in it".
    Last edited by oldbear52; 10-11-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: mispelled words

mtbr member
    One day at a time. That is about all we can do. Keep it up.

Hey, oldbear, any new reports?
    Last edited by robertdavid; 10-15-2014 at 04:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Haven't written for a few days. rained all day yesterday8 so I didn't get a ride in. But today I went out and rode the Acorn trail, a paved trail that runs through the city. If the weather holds I will ride Lions Club trails tomorrow after they have dried out a bit. I am ordering some tires for the winter, any input? My gravity Bullseye Monster has Vee misions on it and they are wearing pretty good and they give good traction in the dirt. ''

mtbr member
    Bout time we got an update. I rode 28 miles on the road tonight. Light mist but not bad with the correct apparel and good lights. My fat bike should be here by the end of this or next month. I have 4 other bikes but this will be my first fatty. I demoed one and loved it. It is new so it is taking awhile but it will be worth the wait. I saved 2.5 years for a full sup and now I am getting a Specialized Superlight Carbon Fatbike. Hey it was as fast and more fun.

mtbr member
    Must be nice to get a carbon fiber fatty! Just kidding robertdavid. Went to the Doctor today, and , I now weigh 260! And my A1C is down to 8. I owe it all to biking and a sensible diet. I cut a lot of fatty foods out of my diet and now drink lots of water and the occasional diet soda, dr pepper cherry diet. We eat a lot of baked boneless skinless chicken breast and wheat bread. By the way, I figured out that I average about 25 miles a day on the bike. According to some old Fat tire lore if you ride 1 mile on dirt it's equal to 4 on the road, Given that I ride about 14 miles off road almost daily that means 56 road miles. I read that years ago in Mt bike action. '92-'95.

ON the epic ride front, we have made reservations in Sedona Arizona foe next April. Annnd a September/October trip to our own Mecca,,,Moab Utah for two weeks. My wife and I are goiung out west to Moab to find a place to buy to 'retire' to. that's our epic schedule for 2015, plus maybe go to Dirt Rag's dirtfest. Since we have a 2004 Ford Crown Victoria coming our way in December we will be able to go throughout the Midwest.

mtbr member
    Meant to write 250lbs inste4ad of 260. I guess I just got excited.

mtbr member
    Meant to write 250lbs inste4ad of 260. I guess I just got excited.
    Nice!!!

mtbr member
    robertdavid: you must be an early riser! Here I sit with a jar of Jiff and spoon in hand writing yet another entry to the thread. We have decided to definately make Dirt Fest a priority next year. and if we are lucky maybe send out some feelers about starting a Magazine devoted to our end of the sport. How would 'Fat Tracks' sound? A magazine for fat bikers by fatbikers. Just a thought. Now watch some slick paper publisher will take my name. It seems that today is going to be a warm day. 75 this afternoon and no rain in sight for the next three and then on Sunday a 10% chance for rain. That means lots of riding and lots of posts.
    Today I will ride over to St. James and ride the trails they have over that way/ that means a 4hr ride. Most of it will be pavement unless I can talk my Daughter unto taking me in her truck.

mtbr member
    ...We eat a lot of baked boneless skinless chicken breast...
    Just make sure it's not intensively farmed and pumped full of hormones designed to make the chicken put on weight quickly...

mtbr member
    We get ours through an Organic Farm network. We prefer it that way. We also do not eat a lot of pork. If I want bacon, I buy, apple cured beff breakfast strips from an Islamic packing house in Des Moines Iowa. they sell a lot of 'kosher' Isalmic meats and most of it is Organic.

mtbr member
    We get ours through an Organic Farm network. We prefer it that way. We also do not eat a lot of pork. If I want bacon, I buy, apple cured beff breakfast strips from an Islamic packing house in Des Moines Iowa. they sell a lot of 'kosher' Isalmic meats and most of it is Organic.
    Good. I'm really suspicious of chicken. My wife has been on several diets, and these almost always involve lots of chicken. She nearly always seems to end up heavier and loses it after the diet! (but thinks I'm just being a crank about the chicken )

mtbr member

Today's Ride.

Today we went to steeleville and rode the trails there. I found out just how much the Vee Mission tires are at providing traction over rocks. I rode approx. 20 miles of sweet single track in the national forest. I am amazed how those tires grip. Roots, no problem, Limbs over the trail, no problem. some loose gravel ion a creek bottom, no problem. Climbing on some neat ascents was excellent. I hardly ran short of breath. I even kept up with my daughter on the descents. My heart rate after one of the climbs hit 110 but after a short break to admire the view It dropped to 65. I am considering changing to Vee eight tires to see how they perform. i do have a confession though, on the way home we stopped at a hardee's for a burger and shakes. LOL. I did penance though tonight, I had a salad with diet {light} blue cheese dressing and a Iced tea.
    tomorrow I will have to stick to the Lion's Club Park Trail System for my ride. So until tomorrow keep on riding and keep the rubber side down! peace The Oldbear.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. Glad so hear how you are doing.

mtbr member

another milestone!

Went to the Cardiologist today for the results of an ultrasound on my heart. My Nurse Practioner said that my heart is functioning better. instead of only functioning at 35-40% it now functions at 45-50%! And most of my bloodwork is within ranges. :thumbsup

I then rode out to Lion's Club Park and hooked up with another older fat biker and we rode four laps then had a light beer to celebrate our ride.
    The weather was perfect! We've had sunshine all day and thye temperature was in the lower 70's.

This evening we listened to Fat-Bike Radio from Fat-Bike.com. It's our own 'prairie home companion'. They are funny! Tomorrow My daughter and I are heading to Columbia Missouri to visit the bike shops there and ride the KATY Trail.

Fall is in the air and as this month passes I reflect on my 50+ years of biking, I realize that this hobby is a way of life that has literally saved mine. There is a time and season for everything, I choose to prolong the Middle of my life by cycling on a fat bike.

Until tomorrow. Stay safe my friends and ride iknto the sunset looking for that golden horizon. Peace
    the Oldebear

mtbr member
    Hope we can ride together sometime in this life. Glad your check ups are splendid. I used to be about 55 pounds heavier than I am now so I can relate. I was at 205 when I was 18 and only 5'8", beefy. I ran and watched what I ate and I know fluctuate between about 148 to 153. I logged over 55,000 running miles from age 18 to about 47. Developed compartment syndrome in my right lower leg when I was in my late 40's. Instead of surgery I started biking more and love riding trails, gravel, pavement, about anywhere. I currently own four 29ers. One may have to go when the Fat Bike arrives but I ride all of them. 2 single speeds, one with a road set-up and two geared bikes, a 2 x 10 and a 1x9. Two bikes are rigid and two have suspension forks.

Keep up your riding and good eating habits. It helps. Have a good weekend and keep the rubber side DOWN.

If I had discovered Mountain Biking when I was in my 20's I would've have run a lot less and just to cross-train. Next June I will be 60 and feel that the biking has made me fitter because it forced me to start working on my weaker areas, core, upper body that running neglects. When I ride a harder trail it feels like a total body workout. Saturdays are my off days due to longer work day and needing the break. Supposed to ride 46 miles of single track on Sunday on my SS with a suspension fork. Should be very leafy.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response Robertdavid. I am always amazed at what walks of life we in this community of fat bikers come from.
    As I have related before, I come from a long line of cyclists. Fat bikes or even newsboy bikes have been a passion of mine since the 60's when a neighbor through out a crusty-rusty Schwinn phantom. (I still have it). my Paternal Grandfather and Great Uncle were road racers in the teens, (1900's) to the twenties). Most of my teen years were spent on bikes. We had a group of buddies that rode together. Most of us had Newsboy bikes that we rode everywhere. Around the NW suburban Chicago there were lots of dirtroads and paved backroads to wander. Then I discovered Road biking. I did that til 1981. fast forward t6o 1985 and our first mountain bikes and then in 2001 heart attack hit. I ball ooned from 190 to 313 So I ahve seen my share of changes in bikes and still have an affinity for all things fat.

mtbr member

10-18-14 ride.

We rode the Binder Lake trail today up in Jefferson City today. I really enjoyed having my two younger sons with this afternoon. I was the only one on a fat bike. We rode it three times and loved it. some climbs and lots of single track. My pulse at the start was 60 midway it rose to 99 and 20 minutes after we stopped it went back down to 60. If you're curious as to why it went back to 60 the reason is I have a pacemaker and it is set to 60bpm. I did run into another fat biker when I went to Kroger's tonight for ice cream, we talked and compared b ikes. he was riding a walgoose dolomite that he has had lots of work done to it. He was Impressed with my BD bike And will probably upgrade over the winter. He told me he has put almost $300 in repairs at the LBS and wants something more reliable. He has the rims replaced, the seat was crappy and the bottom bracket was shot after three months of riding. He was surprised at the Trek Farley, took it for a test ride before he got his dolo. He said he's giving his 13 year old the dolo and will get either a Surly Pus
    or maybe a Framed Minnesota 2.0. but \we exchanged phone numbers and plan to ride the Lion's Club once a week.
    I llove to be a missionary for FAT BIKING

mtbr member

Where my fat biking started.

By the way Brothers and Sisters I started on a Dolomite But wanted so0mething that would fit. so I gave the dolo to my son and rode my Trek Marlin ss 29er until I got my BD's Gravity Bullseye Monster. I think that the Dolomite is a great bike for those on a fixed budget.

ferd OLdbear

mtbr member
    What an awesome and inspirational thread. Hats off to you, oldbear52. Thanks for taking the time to share your on going story. Know that you have another new reader here.

mtbr member
    I totally agree with the above post.

mtbr member

many thanks

Robertdavid and cassavant: Thanks for your comments. today was my 'rest day''. I spent the day with my handicapped son watching HGTV

mtbr member
    We also cleaned up the monster and refilled the tires . they had dropped to 6psi frony and 8psi rear .usually run 8psi front and 11psi rear. Tomorrow will be a trip to st. james to ride the trails ovber there. We hope to aqlso put in some miles on the Lion's Club Trails. My daughter is orderin a Gravity Bullseye Monster a smaller frame than mine. So until tomorrow peace and keep the rubber side down.

mtbr member
    oldbear52 and the rest of the fat bike community - I've considered getting a fat bike but couldn't balance the cost of the fatty with the duties the bike would serve for me. My riding surfaces are all pavement or packed bike paths. Some rougher general city roads too, so standard 29ers and 26ers have suited me well. I really don't ride any aggressive single track.

I've had a Surly Cross-Check which I never felt comfortable on (it was too big and I couldn't dial it in), a Specialized HardRock 26er, a Redline Monocog SS 29er, and a Cannondale Enforcement 26. I'm down to the Monocog and the Enforcement, but I still have that itch to buy a Surly that I can change things up and re-invent when I get bored with the current state.

I've looked at the 1x1, ogre, troll, but now have really started to consider the Pugsley. My question here, does a fat bike make sense for my basic style of riding? Does anyone use a fatty for a daily commuter on pavement? If so, I live in eastern North Dakota and would love the fatty for late fall / early spring riding.

Here's another thing to consider - if I went with a 1x1, ogre, or troll I could use one of my current bikes as a donor and really save on some of the cost.

Talk me off the ledge, or into a fat bike. Either way, I'd love your insight!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassavant89 View Post
    ...My riding surfaces are all pavement or packed bike paths.

...Here's another thing to consider - if I went with a 1x1, ogre, or troll I could use one of my current bikes as a donor and really save on some of the cost...
    You don't need a fatbike for those surfaces.

However if you did have a fatbike, you would soon be looking for more interesting riding than those surfaces.

If you're adamant that you will stick to the hard pack, then get a 1x1 or any of the Surlys that will take wider tyres, eg the 3" tyres, then if you get a bit more venturesome, you have something a bit better to ride than a skinny tyre bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    You don't need a fatbike for those surfaces.

However if you did have a fatbike, you would soon be looking for more interesting riding than those surfaces.

If you're adamant that you will stick to the hard pack, then get a 1x1 or any of the Surlys that will take wider tyres, eg the 3" tyres, then if you get a bit more venturesome, you have something a bit better to ride than a skinny tyre bike.
    Thanks velo - appreciate your insight. It's not that I'm adverse to trying out different conditions or riding surfaces, there's just not a lot around here other than road or bike path riding. I do take the Monocog to the state park once or twice a year, but I cant justify buying a bike for that.

I actually have a vision of having one of the only (or maybe THE only) fatty "road" bikes in my area. Woodchipper drop bars, black floyd tires, and time too just cruise the day away.

mtbr member
    ...I actually have a vision of having one of the only (or maybe THE only) fatty "road" bikes in my area. Woodchipper drop bars, black floyd tires, and time too just cruise the day away.
    I put drop bars and Black Floyds on my 907 a few years back and then went for a few rides...

A foolish ride - Black Floyd content.

Can Black Floyds on your fatbike replace a road bike?

So don't be shy of using a fatbike with Black Floyds, you'll have an enormously capable bike that will take wherever you want to go, either off or on road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I put drop bars and Black Floyds on my 907 a few years back and then went for a few rides...

A foolish ride - Black Floyd content.

Can Black Floyds on your fatbike replace a road bike?

So don't be shy of using a fatbike with Black Floyds, you'll have an enormously capable bike that will take wherever you want to go, either off or on road.
    Amazing stories, Velo! Thanks for sharing them.

mtbr member
    What an awesome and inspirational thread. Hats off to you, oldbear52. Thanks for taking the time to share your on going story. Know that you have another new reader here.
    MEEEE TOOOO!
    And I am one that has ALSO improved my health by getting back on a bicycle and riding! I have also lost weight. Annnnnd! Dog Gone it! Riding a bike, even at 57 y/o IS fun!

mtbr member

The Ride of the day, 10-20-14

Hey everyone! Marna nice to see you here. Casavant, I hope you're still enjoying the fall. And I can't say enough about the beautiful weather here in mid south Missouri in the Ozarks. I( went to Lion's Club Park today and had a ball. found out that the trail is roughly 4 miles long not three as I had believed. My buddy Tom was on his fat bike and he and I did 6 laps of the trail 24 miles. the conditions were excellent. not mud and someone had been doing some kind of maintainence on the trail. Tom rides a Farly with a computer and I kept up with him, (no not wheelsucking), thru the trails we averaged 12mph and the time was 1hr and 23 min.
    We both use our bikes for basic transportation around town and bought them to be a little different
    We are planning an assult on the Berryman trail when my daughter gets her Monster. That will be sometime in November. we will ride it end to end and drive one truck to the finishline and pick up out bikes and then,m well you know the routine.
    My wife got her date for her tumor surgery, Jan 15th and a bariatric bypass in May. by July 2015 she should be able to ride an adult trike. Nov 6thg I have an eye surgeon apt. for cataracts. so I will ride until then.
    Now for our brother who is comtemplating whether or not to buy a fat bike.... as Nike just says ...JUST DO IT!........You won't regret it.
    PEACE and keep on bikin'! OLDBEAR, fred

mtbr member
    Dang, Berryman trail. Nice. That is on my to do list if I can ever get vacation time at my work. Not looking good anytime soon.

And to answer Cassavant, you probably need some sort of rigid bike or a hybrid. I own 4 bikes and if I was only riding pavement and packed dirt, I would choose my 1x9 rigid for that type of riding with cross tires or no more than a 2 inch wide non-aggressive mountain bike tire set up tubless with a sealant. Hope this helps. I have a fat bike ordered and cannot wait.

mtbr member
    I rode 5.5 hours on one of my local trails, Montgomery Bell, on Sunday on my Single Speed. Rode an easy 2 hours last night on road and trails at Percy Warner Park. I feel better 99% of the time after my ride. OldBear, keep us updated either thru this forum or however. Keep the pedals turning and the rubber side down. Later

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    Dang, Berryman trail. Nice. That is on my to do list if I can ever get vacation time at my work. Not looking good anytime soon.

And to answer Cassavant, you probably need some sort of rigid bike or a hybrid. I own 4 bikes and if I was only riding pavement and packed dirt, I would choose my 1x9 rigid for that type of riding with cross tires or no more than a 2 inch wide non-aggressive mountain bike tire set up tubless with a sealant. Hope this helps. I have a fat bike ordered and cannot wait.
    Thanks Robert - I currently have a Monocog 29er and a Cannondale Enforcement 26er that are pretty much exactly what you recommended. As any other bike enthusiast, I'm at that point of wanting something new and different, which is why I hijacked this thread with fatbike questions. haha

I do think the advice offered here has me leaning towards a Surly Troll or 1x1 for my next project. That way, I can use on of my current bikes as a donor and can make it a semi-fat bike down the road with some wider tires.

I'm certainly envious of all the cool sounding trails and places you all have to ride!

mtbr member
    ...I do think the advice offered here has me leaning towards a Surly Troll or 1x1 for my next project. That way, I can use on of my current bikes as a donor and can make it a semi-fat bike down the road with some wider tires....
    This is my ancient 1x1 with the Dirt Wizard tyres. One of my friends who also rides fatbikes has one set up just the same. We both have quite a bit of riding experience and both of us think the Dirt Wizards transform the 1x1. It's amazing the difference that little bit of extra volume makes, you can use lower pressures, so the bike feels much more surefooted, not to mention more comfortable.

And if you feel tempted towards the fat life, you can do it gradually by putting on a fat front

(I rode it in this format in this year's SSEC in Northern Ireland.)

However, it's best not to faff around with half-fat and go straight to fat. I only did it to this bike because the race track was going to be rooty and I didn't want to fit suspension.

mtbr member
    Velobike: Neat ride! If my Trek had a different fork Maybe I'd try that fat front too.

mtbr member

Another Beautiful day in the neighborhood!

It was another glorious day here in the Neighborhood. Clear weather and a temp of 73 and a light breeze. It was beautiful.
    Went out riding some gravel SW of town. Rode with Tom again and we put on 36 miles out and back and at least 34 of those miles was on gravel and dirt.
    Another goal was reached today I lost another 3 pounds. Bringing me down to 257. I found that out tonight when my daughter brought home a talking scale. My weight fluctuated at bit over the las few days. I really want to get down to 190 by January 15th. I have drinking less diet soda and eating a lot of baked meals. When I do fry meat I use no oil and that has helped. We also found two sources of raw milk. and of course I still get Goats milk. I read in a Goat keeping book that goats milk is much easier to digest than cows milk. I guess it has to do with the bu8tter fat. Plus pasturized cows milk has enzymes in it that can, over time destroy the heart muscles in humans
    When I was climbing a hill today I found myself not so much looking at the ground and enjoying, actually, enjoying the view. I wasn't running out of breath and my legs only burned and didn't feel weak. Annnd this was a long slow climb. I didn't even 'run out of gears'. i was totally amazed. Used to be on a climb like this half way up I would do the 'hike a bike routine." Maybe having Tom with me was a little incentive to do better.
    Tomorrow I am riding with my daughter.She's got a day off and wants to do the Forest City trails in St, James. It will be a little rest after the epic ride today.

mtbr member
    Nice write up. I rode about 2 hours at Percy Warner Trails. May hit them up again today or do a pavement ride somewhere after work. Don't ride your daughter in the ground today.

mtbr member
    We have goats. I am not milking them right now, but I will back up the theme that Goat's Milk is better for the body! Raw of course! One of my websites Working Goats - Front Page

More and more, with riding the bicycle, I have noticed my health getting better....AND I AM DOWN A PANTS SIZE! It occurred to me yesterday that my wrists are not bothering me any more. They do not give out when stressed. They are not hurting at all. Funny, when the pain goes away, a person forgets. My wrists have not bothered me in a while now.....I just did not think about it. <simles>

mtbr member

The trees are starting to change

Today was splendid! Mild temps and beautiful skies. I went to the Forest City trails and spent 3 hours just enjoying myself. I was surprised by the new loop we rode. It's the same trails just going from a different direction. lol
    My daughter rode her trek and when we hit some rooty sections began to realize just how nice it will be to get her fat bike. Hopefully she will get one on the first, or at least order it.
    i am in the process of getting more greens in my system. I seem to be a little low in the iron department, time to order up lots of green beans and spinach.
    I am getting some winter riding gear assembled. Wool Jersey and wool cap to go under the helmet, gloves and sweat pant over tights. plus some sort of winter cycling shoes. I already have snow mobile boots when the snow gets deep, Does anybody from way up north have any suggestions? Also I was wondering if there is any consensus about whyat tires to upgrade for the Gravity Bullseye Monster?They come Veerubber Missions. 4,0. Maybe go to the Veerubber *'s?:

mtbr member
    Glad you had a good ride. I rode my SS on the trails today at a brisk pace, for me. It was chiller than yesterday. Lots of leaves on some of the trails making them a little skatey feeling. Brown Ice. Was replacing rear brake pads on my Ventana and stripped the brake bolt so I cannot center it. Will have to take it to the shop to have it removed.

mtbr member

No ride yesterday or today

I haven't posted for two days because I caught an intestinal bug. I am still a little weak and hope to be ready to ride Sunday. I am achy all over, but, I don't have a fever. If any of you pray pray for a speedy recovery from this illness. Till tomorrow Peace.

Another Clyde...
    Hang in there Oldbear52. I'm pulling for you.
    Ride while you can...

mtbr member
    I haven't posted for two days because I caught an intestinal bug. I am still a little weak and hope to be ready to ride Sunday. I am achy all over, but, I don't have a fever. If any of you pray pray for a speedy recovery from this illness. Till tomorrow Peace.
    Get well soon but listen to your body on this one, for sure.

mtbr member
    Praying for the speedy recovery oldbear!

mtbr member

Sti9ll no ride!

This garbage is rough. I am still not over it. I want to ride soooo bad and my gut feels like lead. I am going to try to get out for a short ride tomorrow to test and see if I can get back on schedule. I will give you all the results tomorrow. Oldbear

Another Clyde...
    Well it is tomorrow somewhere I hope you are feeling better.
    Ride while you can...

mtbr member
    I got out for two hours today. I rode the usual trails at Lion's Club Park and did njot push it. I feel mu7ch better and the antibiotics seem to be working.

mtbr member
    Nice to hear you are feeling a little better oldbear52.

Another Clyde...
    Good to hear...
    Ride while you can...

mtbr member

A good workout for us.

Went to the Forest City Trails yesterday abs rode several laps with my daughter and Tom. I noticed that the colors on the trees are waning and by the weekend they should all be down or brown. My health continues to improve. And my weight is holding st 255. My daughter's bike should be here next week. Then our ride on the Berryman will go ahead for Nov. 8th. I am buying a frame bag for this ride and we are getting hydration packs too. today's ride will br a normal workout PEACE
    The Oldbear

mtbr member
    Enjoy reading your posts.

mtbr member
    Good To Hear The Oldbear, that your health is continuing to get better. I have said before and will say again and again, My Health is Better from getting out and riding bikes, and I am so much stronger with more balance.

Last night my new Gravity Fatty Monster arrived from bikesdirect. It is put together but it is still dark out right now. <grins> This bike is built well and even has the "anything bag holes". I LOVE THAT!

What bicycle is your daughter getting from where? Is she getting a BikesDirect bicycle? I am thinking about another from there, seeing the quality of this bicycle.

We too want to start BikePacking again. I have patterns cut out for the Handlebar Slings as well as the Stuff Sacks for it. I am going to make our Frame Bags very soon.

Does your wife sew at all? Frame Bags look pretty simple to make. If not, and you are looking to spend less that the over $100 per Frame Bag, check out ebay. I saw a few there.

I have a Camelback with a few small pockets that I LOVE! YES! I sure would recommend them. I added a couple of pieces of webbing to the bottom belt so that my pistol does not slip around on it. I wear it every time I go out on my bicycle.

My weight is down another pound and I am very happy about it too!

Have a good day and a good ride today!

mtbr member

My daughter rode her trek and when we hit some rooty sections began to realize just how nice it will be to get her fat bike. Hopefully she will get one on the first, or at least order it.

i am in the process of getting more greens in my system. I seem to be
    I am getting some winter riding gear assembled. Wool Jersey and wool cap to go under the helmet, gloves and sweat pant over tights. plus some sort of winter cycling shoes. I already have snow mobile boots when the snow gets deep, Does anybody from way up north have any suggestions? Also I was wondering if there is any consensus about whyat tires to upgrade for the Gravity Bullseye Monster?They come Veerubber Missions. 4,0. Maybe go to the Veerubber *'s?:
    Oh here it is! The answer to what bicycle your daughter will be getting. <smiles> As far as updating the tires on the Graivity Monster? Mine look great right out of the box. I don't think I will upgrade them and I am planning to ride on snow and I ride on the Prairie (betonite, also called Gumbo Soil, it is the stuff they make the clumpy kitty litter out of, I call it Dinosaur Poop, awful stuff!)

Winter Gear? Ha3 Yesterday I found out, it was cold here when I left for my ride, that I should leave COLD. I did not think I did, but I had too much on. I did wear a bandana over my face (think Train Robber) for a scarf. It is too warm yet for the Bright Yellow Balaclava, Velcro Scarf and Head Band I made with thick fleece doubled.

Scarves are necessary, you don't want the cold air in your lungs as you work pedaling. People die every year for that reason shoveling snow. But you do not want your scarf dangling either. I cut my fleece scarf to size then added Velcro for the full length/that is the full width, to close it. I had made these for horse back riding too. The work great.

Use BRIGHT Colors. People driving will be snow blind or have coats and such around them in their vehicles. Stay as visible as you possibly can.

mtbr member

We are a two monster family!

Marna: My daughter got her Monster yesterday morning. So she rode it yesterday afternoon. so we are now a two monster family!She loves that bike and placed her Trek 4500wsd in storage. \I putogether my winter kit and I am awaiting the arrival of my Surlly wool cycling cap. I rode with an old beenie yesterday and I got too hot. As far as hydration goes, we both have Camelback Mules and carry two waterbottles on l;onger rides to stay hydrated. I applaud your weight loss and fitness report. I can tell you now how important it is to stay active in middle age and early senior citizen hood. Thirty years ago when Sue nd I got married I weighed in at 190lbs, and in the space of twenty five years I went from a 38" waist to a 58" waistand blossomed to 327lbs. I am down to 254 lbs and feel great now thanks to a sensible diet and cycling. so keep up the good work

mtbr member
    VERY KOOOOL for your daughter! I snuck out this morning for a very short ride on my new Gravity! I seem to LOVE it! We have company coming so only a short ride for right now.

<sighs> Yeah. Me too. (on the weight gain as I age) I am sure it is true for everyone. I tell people, especially women getting into their 30's, how important it is to stay and or get active! And I knew it too, when I got fat again, this time, but it is so much easier to sit and watch TV and eat. Ha3

mtbr member
    Did a solo ride today. Rode around the city on the Acorn trail and then hit the Lion's club. Had a nice time sight seeing and not being all that concerned with speed, cadence or pulse rate. I just enjoyed the last of the colors. I am anxious for the eight. I want to do the Berryman sooo bad Going to order some Huskerdu;s next month. saving up for them . It's so strange to ride by myself. I just take my time and go slow except for the downhills on pavement on the way to the trails. I love how my daughter is lookingh forward to riding the trails with me. my other sons don't have the time to get down here to ride and I really wish they did.

Now to wax nostalgic. Gentle readers: how many of you have ever enjoyed a Moab sunset? My family and I would travel down to Moab once a month in the spring and early summer once a month. WEe would camp on BLM lands above the Slickrock called the Sandflats.. (THIS WAS BEFORE PAID CAMPING) At Sunset we all would climb the rocks overlooking the Slickrock. There we would watch the sunset as it would drop in stages of color into the horizon. he colors of orange, pink, rose, dark red an deep purple as it slipped out of sight. Then the stars would appear and fill the night with their light. On Moonlit nights we would ride the Practice loop of the Slickrock or ride out under the moonlight on the Sandflats rode to the east. As the Kids would settle in around our campfire and listen to Reggae music or alternative rock on the local NPR station. Life was good and we slept sound.

Until tomorrow. peace. The Oldbear

mtbr member
    I did 17 miles at my local trail on my Single Speed. My Fatboy Superlight is backordered until the end of November. Who cares? I waited 6 months for my SS Ti frame and that bike will never be sold. I may rent a fat bike for this Sunday from my bike shop. Will see if they want someone to ride it for 4 to 6 hours. Keep having fun. Leaves were down big time today and the trail was a little slick in spots. Cut my speed back due to the conditions but it was more of a workout than when it is bone dry. May do a road ride tomorrow if it rains here. Keep the posts coming because I like reading positive stuff.

mtbr member
    It's cooolllld here!

mtbr member
    the temp is 43 with a windchill of 37 here this after noon. So I think I'll use today as a rest day. walked to the store and got chilled. When I left it was 45 without the wind chill by the time I arrived back home the temp dropped to 39 with a bad NW wind. I will ride tomorrow in the afternoon. It's supposed to be in the 60's.

mtbr member
    the temp is 43 with a windchill of 37 here this after noon. So I think I'll use today as a rest day. walked to the store and got chilled. When I left it was 45 without the wind chill by the time I arrived back home the temp dropped to 39 with a bad NW wind. I will ride tomorrow in the afternoon. It's supposed to be in the 60's.
    Okay, it is time to suck it up and get the winter stuff out. I already have. Did 26 miles on the pavement tonight because my local trail was too wet and slick. Leaves all over the place in the two parks I rode through. Gotta have my fix for the day. Rode my SS geared for the road with 38 mm semi-slicks. I run a 32x14 on it. It was great and I am glad I have nice gear so I cannot just bemoan the weather. No such thing as bad weather, only bad gear. Have a great ride tomorrow. Saturday is my off day and Sunday is gonna be a cold trail ride.

mtbr member

I'm sorry....I lied.

i lied. I rode for an hour this afternoon with the daughter. temp hit 45 and I bundled up and hit the trail. I am just waiting for my wool cycling cap from my local bike shop. I wore a skaters beanie under my helmet. and my daughter wore a St. Louis cards beanie under hers. luckily for me I have heavy gloves and long johns to go under my wind breaker pants. tomorrow is going to be a lot like today and we will ride the pavement. my weight is still at 252 and I felt great after the ride, except , for my nose.
    That's all folks! PEACE Oldbear

mtbr member
    Rode two hours on local trail last night. Raining today. Probably a road or trainer ride tonight.

mtbr member
    Okay, where is everybody on this, used to be, good thread. Cold weather driving you inside and into a funk? Not me. I have ridden every day this week and it has been great with one rainy road ride. Got news my new fat bike has been shipped.

mtbr member
    Well. I was down to my 11-4-2014 weight goal. But have bounced back up.....normal I know. Aggravating all the same!

I have been riding my bicycles every day. I have more miles on this week than normal. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday I rode my FATTY. Then my back started screaming so I am back on the Genesis.

We shoveled a LOT of goat manure on Saturday. Sunday we rode twice the normal miles, Monday and Tuesday I pushed for just over one more mile per ride. The Gravity sits different than my Genesis Mt. Bike. I am more stretched out over the bike on the FATTY. Not a bad thing. Just something is old back needs to get used too.

When my back stops hurting, I will start riding the FATTY every other or every third day or so.

I really hate it too. I am pretty sure that the FATTY will be the bike I always ride, no matter what the terrain. <smiles> But it will take a bit to work up to that.

I am headed out in a minute for a longer ride again today.

mtbr member

Oldbear is sidelined.

Hi everyone. I
    have'nt been here for awhile because I have been in the hospital recovering from a stroke. It took out my left side . I can walk but I am going to physical therapy six days a week. I expect a full recovery but it will be six weeks before I can ride outside.+ I WILL get back on my fatty and work up to the berryman ride.so I will be monitoring and poisting from time to time . By the way I now weigh in at 245. I am riding a staionary bike at the clinic and will start treadmill next wednesday. So for now I will keerp you all posted on my progress with therapy. PEACE OLDBEAR

mtbr member
    Hi everyone. I
    have'nt been here for awhile because I have been in the hospital recovering from a stroke. It took out my left side . I can walk but I am going to physical therapy six days a week. I expect a full recovery but it will be six weeks before I can ride outside.+ I WILL get back on my fatty and work up to the berryman ride.so I will be monitoring and poisting from time to time . By the way I now weigh in at 245. I am riding a staionary bike at the clinic and will start treadmill next wednesday. So for now I will keerp you all posted on my progress with therapy. PEACE OLDBEAR
    Sad to hear that. I wish you a speedy recovery oldbear ... strokes are such nasty things, lost a parent to one. Anyway, just follow your therapy religiously and you'll get better... never ever loose hope.

Keep on riding,
    cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Don't worry. With your drive you pull through just as good if not better.

Moderator Moderator
    6 weeks on the sidelines is rough. Hang in there, I'm sure you will ride again! Having grown up by NYC Chinatown, I would consider tai chi if its available, in addition to your other exercise. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/04/sc...dent.html?_r=0

mtbr member
    Hi everyone. I
    Keep those pedals turning.

Best wishes.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the encouragement and concern. I went for a walk around the block this afternoon using a cane. I am supposed to use a walker but I felt funny after Most of neighbors had seen me riding a bike. A few stopped me to ask how I was doing and told them better. Besides walkers are for old people. LOL. \
    My daughter just returned with our friend Tom from riding the Berryman Trail. She brought back quite a few pictures and had a great time. I am sooooooo jealous! Her bike preformed very well and she didn't complain in the least. When she started the temps were in the low 40's and by the time she got back it only got up to the mid 50's. I am hoping to ride the Berryman in April or May. I will have my Gravity Bullseye pro by then.
    During the walk I only had to stop twice to catch my breath. I really feel better.
    robertdaivid: great to hear about your Fatboy. post a picture of it when you get it.
    Marna: You will get used to your fatty. It took me no time to get used to mine but things were reversed. My Trek Marlin ss stretched me our more than does my Monster. plus on the Fatty my butt doesn't get sore as well. Remember your muscles memories have to be reset as well.
    And remember to put tons of that goat manure into your garden soil to decompose over the winter. ( that's just the farmer in me talking.)
    And so this brings me to the end of my post. I hope everybody has a wonderful Veterans day and to those of you who served our country,
    Thanks for your service.
    Peace
    Fred

mtbr member
    Wishing you a speedy recovery oldbear!

mtbr member
    Hated to hear about this. I hope you recover well. This is the reason I never take this for granted. Keep me/us posted. Your starting this thread has been great. Thank you so much. In my prayers.

mtbr member
    Get well soon!!
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2015 GT Grade 105

mtbr member

An Excellent Day!

Hello all! I went to the hospital for rehab today and worked out for an hour and then rode the stationary bike. The therapist set it for a road ride with moderate hills. I rode for a half hour and all my vitals stayed within allowable range. i told them that before the stroke, I was riding my fat bike six days a week. They said that was why I am recovering so quickly and then they said that they expect a shorter recovery time of four weeks!

mtbr member
    They said that was why I am recovering so quickly and then they said that they expect a shorter recovery time of four weeks!
    Nice to hear that about your recovery... it made my day!

Keep on riding,
    cheers!

mtbr member
    Thanks for some good news. Need some more. I am pulling for you. Keep me/us informed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thats why I've always thought buying things that keep you active is such a good investment. By being conditioned from riding will likely make your recovery much faster and you may have been worse off if you weren't biking.

horseman
    Sep 2005
    just have to watch out on those pressure treated bridges...

Another Clyde...
    Great news on the recovery front. Keep up the good work.
    Ride while you can...

mtbr member
    Sorry Old Bear to hear of your health set back. But glad to hear you are recouping well.

mtbr member
    My Weight is back down (YAAAAY!). I have my fat bike already to go. We have snow. Guess What!? I have three teeth bothering me (to the point of almost tears) So I have not been out to ride in the snow yet. But did you catch that I lost more weight!? <winks>

mtbr member
    Marna: I am glad that you too are losing weight. We are expecting snow this week too. But I won't be able to ride in it. Today is my rest day. I spent the day working on my aquariums. I have guppies and angelfish. I also watched 'We were soldiers ' on AMC. The temperature here is 32.7

mtbr member
    Hi everyone! Had another excellent day at rehab. Worked out with light weights and did the therapy thing for 45 minutes and then rode the stationary bike for 45 minutes. I am now able to walk without a cane or walker and my left side is much stronger. I talked with my doctor today and he said by the week of Christmas I should be able to ride my bike. (weather permitting). I was told not to ride at temps below 25f and to avoid riding at temps above 95f. I am so excited. I want to break in my new tires and back out there. my weight went back up bit to 260 but I will lose it when I start riding again. got my winter gear in order and I am ready to go.
    We are expecting snow Sat. and Sun. So my daughter and Tom are planning to ride the Forest City trails in St. james in the snow. Lucky dogs.
    Well everyone enjoy their coming weekend. Especially those in the northwoods or Wisconsin and Mimmesota.

mtbr member
    Like to hear good news. Thanks for keeping me/us up to date. I know you are working your tail off in therapy.

mtbr member
    Had a maiden voyage on my new Fatboy SL. Bike handles and fits me perfect. Here is a picture of what this bike looks like. http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/fat...fatboy-sl-.jpg

Not mine but I am not good at this transferring pics. Only change I made was tubeless set up, Ergon grips, and Candy pedals.

mtbr member
    Hi everbody. Just got back from Rehab. Another real good day I was on a weight machine doing leg lifts and found that my leg strength is almost as good as it was when I was in college almost thirty years ago. I can, with both legs lift almost three hundred pounds! The aide said he was amazed in the definition in my calves. of course my right leg is stronger but that's to be expected. I rode the stationary bike for 45 minutes without a problem. It's going to snow tomorrow and Sunday and my fat bike isn't going to taste the snow. Just can't wait until December!
    Robertdavid: Congrats on your new bike. remember to keep the rubberside down1

Until next time, PEACE. Fred aka the oldbear

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast