Dirt is Fun
    Apr 2011

Fat Bikes are trying to steal my soul

Am I crazy to have inner feelings at the moment of selling my high end full sus. AM bike and build me a Fat Bike and never look back? I am going to test ride one on the dirt soon. Everyone I talk to or read reviews on-line...they all say the same thing. No other bike, gets that type of love or positive response.

They are taking over my local trails, and they're not just rolling along, they are shredding them! My mind is blown... I couldn't shake a pugsley on a rocky descent. That really blew my mind. Why am I riding such a high end expensive bike when dude is right behind me hanging on my wheel on a bloody pugsley? It was awesome!

Anyone out there felt what I am feeling and just did it? It's a big change and decision.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Does converting a HT 29 to strictly street count for anything

Don't ride that Fat Bike, unless you're ready to part with some cash, or your current ride !!
    I felt exactly as you are about to feel ... One ride was all it took.
    Bought a Beast to tide me over and play mind games with, until a Fatty became available.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    hmm i rode a mid-range FS bike Trek Rumblefish out in Sedona and was extremely impressed by the performance from the full suspension.. bike was way faster than the pugs and, even with the fat tires aired down appropriately, it doesn't even come close to absorbing the amnt of bumps the trek took.. i'd take the FS bike over the fattie everyday on those trails...

You can buy a used pugsley in good condition for around $1k.. why do you need to sell your fancy FS bike to fund it?

lots of hype surrounding fatties... they are good for a lot of applications, but do not excel at many of them..

mighty sailin' man
    ^ Lots of hyper for FS too

Get the fat bike, ride both a while and decide.
    Sold my squish last year. For my riding location and style I don't miss it enough to buy another. YMMV
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    I enjoy both for what they are and do for me or not. Next up FAT full squishy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Now that my non-fat bike is a Krampus, I'd say I'm in the same boat. I wouldn't be surprised if I was faster on my home trails on more high end bikes, but nothing makes me smile as much as riding my fatty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyknobbies View Post
    Am I crazy to have inner feelings at the moment of selling my high end full sus. AM bike and build me a Fat Bike and never look back? I am going to test ride one on the dirt soon. Everyone I talk to or read reviews on-line...they all say the same thing. No other bike, gets that type of love or positive response.

They are taking over my local trails, and they're not just rolling along, they are shredding them! My mind is blown... I couldn't shake a pugsley on a rocky descent. That really blew my mind. Why am I riding such a high end expensive bike when dude is right behind me hanging on my wheel on a bloody pugsley? It was awesome!

Anyone out there felt what I am feeling and just did it? It's a big change and decision.
    I wouldn't ditch the FS right away. Buy a fatty first and see where it leads you. I haven't completely thrown in the towel on my FS rig, but it's getting less use now that I put a Lefty on my Pugsley. Love the versatility of the Pugs with front suspension... I look forward to the day that I can get a full squish fatty, but until then, my FS rig still has a purpose.

addicted to chunk
    Yup, i hate it when guys can't go fast enough on their skinny tires and I'm behind them

Lol seriously though, put a suspension fork on the front and you can haul serious Ass on them. So fun.
    Riding.....

addicted to chunk
    Full squish fatties...come on guys lol. Lol want one so bad
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    I have had my Lefty Fatback for 3 months now and I hate to admit it but I am on the verge of selling my full suss carbon bike. I absolutely loved that bike up until recently. Now I don't ride it.

PRETENDURO
    I willingly let them take my soul back in April 2011 when I realised a soul could take their fatbike up and down technical stuff without suspension.

UP the hill:

DOWN the same hill:
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Am I crazy to have inner feelings at the moment of selling my high end full sus... I couldn't shake a pugsley on a rocky descent.
    Nope, you aren't crazy but you might want to consider buying a rigid fatty and a squishy fatty. I rode my Moonlander this past weekend with my son and his friend. They were both on full suspension bikes and they were never able to drop me. I was typically wanting the friend to get out of my way. There were some areas where it would have been nice to have a front shock and that is definitely in my future although I also want a full carbon fatty as well. Different fatties for different fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Full squish fatties...come on guys lol. Lol want one so bad
    when you do i'll follow.

Levi Early
    my full suspension has seen 2 rides since I bought my mukluk back in February. I am more than happy riding the fat tire behemoth on all my trails.

=========
    Resistance is futile.....just sign here
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi707 View Post
    my full suspension has seen 2 rides since I bought my mukluk back in February. I am more than happy riding the fat tire behemoth on all my trails.
    My full suspension Behemoth hasn't been ridden since I got my Moonlander in January. It's safe to say that my soul has been stolen by the fatty
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have no soul, but fatbikes stole the money from my wallet!

[NEC] No Excuses Campaign
    Jun 2009
    I ride everyday. If I'm not on Sookie (Pug built with parts from my AM bike) I'm on the stock Necromancer or O' Dark Dirty (Cross Check 35 rear 47 front)... FS AM frame has been hanging from the rafters for 2 years... I think it's time to let it go.
    Fatties Fit Fine
    [NEC] No Excuses Campaign
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Pugsley Neck Romancer
    Surly CC
    Fatties Fit Fine

mtbr member
    May 2012
    cut me a deal one of your FS bikes!

mtbr member

Thats no joke. There is a very nasty descent covered in deep softball sized gravel on my local power line. When I ride it on my FS 29er I almost crash trying to navigate my way down. When on my 9-0-7 with a Lefty and BFL's I just float down over the top of the gravel with almost 0 trouble. I can also climb back up the same hill with relative ease on the fatty. I can even slow down and pick where I want to go on the way up. I will keep all my mountain bikes. I just cant get rid of any of them. I now have a bike for every type of riding.

mtbr member
    I have a pimped out FS 29er that cost $7k and I just bought a new fat bike for $2k. I'm riding the fatty for the winter season and man this thing is so much fun! I told my wife that if they come out with a FS Fatty that's around 29lbs or under, then both my FS 29er and rigid fatty will be posted on CL. But for now I'm keeping both. Check out the link below of my Fatty in action.

2014 Specialized Fatboy Fat Bike Dakota Ridge stairs climb - YouTube
    Last edited by 2kbimmer; 01-15-2014 at 10:25 PM.

mtbr member
    I feel ya. I am a recent fat bike convert. However there is not way in hell I would replace my full squish mtb with a rigid fatty. I am thoroughly impressed with my new Pugs Ops, it can roll over anything but unlike my Bronson it cant plow through anything. I found the limits of the Pugs pretty quick. Plowing though a rock garden at speed or hitting a medium drop and I do feel the rims make contact. So as far as “shredability” and speed the Bronson will thrash the Pugs any day of the week. Yet my Bronson cant float over snow or carry a chain saw.

The fat bike is the workhorse/trail-work/snow/beach/mud bike. A full squish fat bike…that would be amazing. As much as I would like to see that, I cringe at the mere thought of how much they will want to charge for it.

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by AMjunky View Post
    However there is not way in hell I would replace my full squish mtb with a rigid fatty.
    This.

I love my fatty, but try charging into a nasty rock garden or jumping off anything higher than a foot or so and you are quickly reminded that its a rigid bike. I know guys who can manipulate rigid bikes to the point where they can keep up to FS bikes, I'm not one of them. My fatty will never replace my RIP9 for faster rides or those with air time, although I will admit that when I jump on the RIP9 now the tires looks impossibly narrow.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog