hopeless moron

Fat Bikes forum area—inspirational, emotional, talk amongst yourselves

Every time I visit the MTBR forums, I ALWAYS check out the Fat Bikes topic area. It always brings a smile to my face. I am inspired. I love the pictures of rides and fatbike builds, and the videos too. I also really like the fact that you are all a bunch of FANATICS who know their schizzle. This area seems to be the least politically-charged forum on the site, which gets a thumbs up from me: .

Now. Below is what I really love, this is sheer unbridled entertainment (be sure to share your highlights of happiness as well):

• the videos from ward, tscheezy, and coastkid71
    • the pictures of fatbikes, and fatbike builds (Borgschulze, martinsillo, the guy with the Curry Squirt “Fatties F*&k Fine” Pugsley with the WWII tank appearance and Woody’s fenders, Zarni’s white/red Pugsley—I never thought it could look pretty, and he has succeeded, and seeing tscheezy’s incredibly fit/shapely ladyfriend enjoying riding her sweet-ass pink Fatback in the show—I show those pictures {and videos} to my wife with the idea that eventually she’ll GET IT and start showing more passion toward cycling) and of course those of you who’ve shot the wad on the custom frame builds get extra credit)
    • the knowhow and industry insider (so to speak) knowledge from folks such as thirstywork, Velobike, etc. (sorry if I omitted anyone here, I am just going along with my remaining braincells)
    • Caminloco’s Belgian MONSTER fatbike tandem thread
    • SelfPropelledDevo’s posts—mainly the Surly Big Dummy threads, since I also own one, slightly non-fatbike-related, yet slightly still relevant
    • All sorts of other random stuff… hard to think now, the two 650s of 8.8% and 10% are getting to my blood.

Share your favourites. If this seems is a stupid thread, don’t join in. I haven’t even received my real fatbike yet, but this topic area (Fat Bikes) as well as the “DIY Lighting” sections are what reeled me into these forums—I had been on the RoadBikeReview forums until early last year, I am the turncoat who loves dirt more than asphalt.

Give yourselves (all of you who participate in this forum topic are) a pat on the back, as you all make this one of the happiest forum areas on the whole site!!!
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need
    BTW, it’s called “sarcasm”; you’re soaking in it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail
    so many other forum sections are quiet.
    And some are pretty well populated with out-of-control egos who enjoy hearing themselves argue. This forum is by far one of the most civil on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon
    ...This forum is by far one of the most civil on MTBR.
    Perhaps it's because fatbikes attract people who actually ride their bikes places instead of posturing and doing rad dude gnarly type stuff on the same spot. In my case, I'm not interested in jumps and drops, but I love seeing good scenery.

Perhaps it's because when we modify our bikes it's not simply bolting on some shiny anodised bit that has just featured in an advertorial. Most of us have had to assemble our bikes from scratch, and some have even built their own frame.

Or maybe it's just because we're the good guys
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    i dont even go into any other forums. i am contemplating starting my own Kustom cycling forum piggybacking my web site, but how can i have a fat forum when this one is running so smooth. in two years we havent had one problem or attitude. it seems that people from other forums come here to get away from it all and get back to their roots, Fat tire fun.

OG Bighit
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

aka DummyDiva
    I've only been a member a few months here. I certainly have noticed hostile attitudes on other threads. I love the "Fat Bike" thread. I visit a few others for tech/info, but this is where my soul gets fueled.

Lighten up.
    To echo a few things:

- Devo's the granpappy of the Dummy and the Fatties from my historical perspective. Props to you, brother.

- ...and more props to the wild ones in Alaska who are, to say the least, inspirational. And driving the fat industry forward.

- the tude around here: it is, indeed, most excellent. As stated above, I don't go anywhere else lately. Just come in here for a virtual hug of fat lovin' goodness (wait...whuuut?)

Peace & Grease to all you Freaks.

MM
    Fellow Freakazoid Robot

All fat, all the time.
    You guys got me hooked, thanks!

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    you are right Leo...this Forum is the best!

On my favorites I also have, Surly (not so active though) and Commuting (great people there too).

+1 to Devo and Coastkid71... it is because of them that I ended up with a Pugs in the no snow/no sand land ...and I can only be thankful for it.

aka bOb
    OK I will be the first one to say it I LOVE YOU GUYS Hug anyone?

No really you guys rock!! The Fat bike is a blast and so is this forum!!! Real riders!!!

mtbr member
    Similar vibe to the 29"er forum ~8 years ago. Hopefully it doesn't suffer the same fate
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    Similar vibe to the 29"er forum ~8 years ago. Hopefully it doesn't suffer the same fate
    Ha! My thought exactly. When it's the experimenters and the people with their minds open, it can be really a cool group to hang out with.

I'm hoping that fatbikes are far enough out on the edge that we can stay this way, but it's up to us to keep it up.

Ya'll are doing a fine job, and I'm glad to be here with you.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    I just don't see it happening. Fat bikes will never attract the crown looking for an edge over the competition, unless the edge is going slower and having more fun on a heavier bike.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

Black Sheep rising
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit
    I just don't see it happening. Fat bikes will never attract the crown looking for an edge over the competition, unless the edge is going slower and having more fun on a heavier bike.

Pretty much agree. While the availability of less expensive complete bikes will open up the market a bit, I can't see it as gaining wide spread acceptance. It will likely remain a niche in the bike scene (did I just use "bike scene"? ) populated by the more dedicated "extreme conditions" cyclist.

While in any group you will have a certain percentage of d-bags, smaller groups tend to have a better signal-to-noise ratio. We're safe, for now.

Can you feel the love?
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    I love fatbikes,
    I love this forum and all the features on it...
    Riding them is indeed about getting out there, esp places where regular bikes cant or wouldn`t go with out a lot of work,
    Thankyou everyone who contributes to this Forum and keep up the good work
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

Geordie biker
    its a great forum, i love looking at the adventures on the guys in really northern parts, huge epic rides in crazy temps and snow.

plus the sand adventures and even woodland stuff is also great reading.

its all in the adventure when it comes to fat bikes, despite me owning one, i dont get out a bike as much as id like so the next best thing is reading and looking the pics on here.
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

My cup runneth over
    Regarding the future of the fat forum I do see some very minor instances of one of the same traits that have doomed other forums (this from a relatively recent fat forum reader):
    ‘Fat bikes are the (only) best bikes’ - this destroyed the 29er forum and it occasionally creeps into posts here.
    It’s really nice not to see any of the ‘my brand is better than your brand’ cr@p. This has ship-wrecked many of the manufacturer’s forums.

A Surly Maverick
    It`s mellow, fun and friendly here ........ what`s not to like
    Life IS a Beach and then you Corrode

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I love the fact that I knew nothing about fatbikes going into my build. I came on here read a bunch of posts asked a bunch of questions some were stupid questions and one's that have been asked a countless number of times and I got respectfull and helpfull answers. No one blew up or replied with a sarcastic answer I was treated as I have been on here for years.

So I just wanna thank everyone for their help cause I absolutly love my new pug, now I just need to get used to riding in the cold so I can but more miles on it to get me in shape for my first race in 2 months.

Thanks Again!!!!!

mtbr member
    As a well-informed-consumer and DIYer, I find mtbr to be an invaluable source. I come here to get real world reviews and perspectives from actual users- people even more passionate than me- which is something I don't get much of in my local area.
    The fat forum brings this even a step further. I had never thrown a leg over a fatbike before I bought one, sight unseen, (other than online pix) from a bike shop that's four time zones away. I would not be on a fatbike now if it were not for the information (and passion) that I have found on this forum.
    Along with ward, tscheezy and coastkid, it would be remiss not to mention mikesee's video (and experiential) contributions as one of the things I love about this forum.
    -Chris

Cheesiest
    Word...Same vibe that I used to get on an adventure motorcycle forum. Great folks and bikes!

Fat is definitely where it's at!

mtbr member
    I found this forum immeasurably helpful when starting my build. Asked loads of questions and got good sensible answers, not like many other bike forums. I would also like to thank Coastkid for all his free advice, time, coffee and biscuits, even if it was bloody freezing in his man-cave!

I also find many of the posted videos great for inspiration and ideas, so, Tscheezy, Ward, Coastkid71, etc, and all the others, well done. There is always something in them that inspires me to try and better my own efforts. And thanks to all those to make comments about my Pugsley on Patrol videos - makes it all worthwhile.

This forum also makes you feel part of a global Fat Bike riders community, even if you will never meet any of them in person. You feel that they are your best friends and you’ve know them all your life.

Let us all make a collective effort to keep this forum the way it is.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gbuckham
    I would also like to thank Coastkid for all his
    ...wheelies!

I'm getting there. Fat bikes have been proven to wheelie, and I am going to learn how.

CAMBA Creature.
    There's no "your bike sucks" attitude here. Everyone here digs Fat Bikes. It doesn't matter what brand you ride, if you built up yourself, or bought it as a complete bike.
    Here, it doesn't matter how much (or little) you spent on it, or how many gears you run. It's all about the ride. And sharing the sweet Fat Bike love.

I also love the video's by the people LP mentioned, as well as gbuckham's "Pugsley On Patrol" videos.

Thanks everyone!

Oh yeah... Seeing Dr Feelygood ! Cut up a Klein Palamino and convert it into a full suspension fat bike just blew my mind. Friggin' Awesome!!!
    Last edited by KrateKraig; 06-15-2011 at 11:58 AM.
    eSpeCially CrAzy IrRegular TrailBuildin' Crew
    Chequama Mama

MTB: Mukluk/Moonlander/Super V-1.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm a noob to the Fattie scene. Have an 18" Pug with Alfine 8. Friggin love this bike. First "nice" bike. Most of my other rides have been craigslist specials or cheap bikes. I rode a Pug a year ago and decided I needed one. Did a bunch of research. Found this site and spent all night reading Devo's "A Pug's Life" post. He's a fat bike prophet for sure. I called my LBS, and they ordered me a Pug.

I love my bike. I love riding it. I love that there are very few Pugs around Boise.

The Pug has soul.

When I first bought the Pug, I used to scour most of MTBR. Now, I check the Fat Bike section and the Idaho trails section. That's it. I've been on a lot of forums for different things, and the people here are by far the best. Everyone is very helpful, and the only attitudes here are good ones!

Cheers!

Jason

Cheesiest
    On the same note as this thread, how about a fat bike rally? I guess Alaska is fat bike Mecca, but some regional summer rides would be a good time. I may be missing some events already happening (definitely fat bike newb), but more couldn't hurt.

Anyone up for meeting in the PNWet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah, thanks to you! I love daily fatbike picture thread and with your support I got my bike parts ordered, assembled and my first fatbike adventure done

Thanks for your inspirational stories, pictures and videos!
    One car less.

mtbr member
    I don't have the words to show my level of gratitude for the sticky's. I have a hunch fatties will become widely used once people realize the versatility of a functional bike "wheels" in the great outdoors(no trails no roads). A fatty on the moon would work best. Whatever heights fatbikes reach will be because of this forum and you guys.

M2cents

Thanks
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    I hated you all for making me part with my hard earned cash on a bike build that is unlikely to see sand and very little snow! (here in the middle of the UK)

But now it's built and has been test ridden.............

sniff..i love you guys!!!! I have a permagrin each time i ride it!!

Gotta agree with previous posts great forum!!

As a noob you can get flamed on many other forums for asking silly noob questions. Which have no doubt been asked many times before. But the guys on here have no problem with helping out any noob!!

Congrats to all old and new for making this the forum it is!!!

44.951909NRTH
    OK, you can all share the love, but to me this forum is a downer! I've had to face the realization that my Minnesota cycling nirvana is nothing compared to Scotland, Mexico and Alaska!

mtbr member
    Whatever heights fatbikes reach will be because of this forum and you guys.

Ain't that the truth.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

PUG U!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bag View Post
    OK, you can all share the love, but to me this forum is a downer! I've had to face the realization that my Minnesota cycling nirvana is nothing compared to Scotland, Mexico and Alaska!

OB ~ turn that frown upside-down
    Even though we may be land locked here in the land of 10,000 lakes; Fat is where it's at!!
    As you and WD are finding out!
    This forum has given all us Fat freaks a place to share our adventures without being judged for our addiction!
    Anyway, we all could be addicted to far worse things than the Fat tires!!

Pedal on!!!

Peace

Spooooon!
    This forum is great. I had a Pugsley back when they were purple. Back then, I got most of my info from a string of PMs with Devo. I had to sell the old Pug a while back, but I'm still dreaming of adventures where there is no trail. Looking forward to another fat bike in the future, but until then, I'll live vicariously through you folks by lurking in this corner of MTBR.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

bighit

awesome pics of that old factory amazing

mtbr member
    Its a funny thing, but I am almost irresistibly drawn to the fat bike. The thought of a Pugsley complete makes me want to sell my Cross Check and XC bike to fund a purchase. I don't live where there is snow(for now), I don't live on the coast(for now, but go often), I don't do tours(yet), and I really have no need for the extra flotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighit say...
    I spend enough time competing and fighting for the win off the bike. When I step on I like to ride for fun and smiles, which can mean fast or really slow and looking around. I love the idea that I could have two wheelsets, a fatty set for dirty, sandy, snowy action and a 700c/50+mm street set for around town/commuting/grocerying/potential road tours. Who cares if a bike is heavy? I'll get stronger. Fat bikes make me want to relocate.

You folks frolicking about on your fatties across the pond aren't helping the matter either. I got to visit Scotland a few years ago for a short while to sight see and visit my ancestral stomping grounds. I have never felt more at home. I've wanted to move since. The videos of the rides you all do up there make me yearn for the Highlands all the more. Some day I'll come back.

There's just so much love in this place, and for no reason other than bikes make us happy.

In other news, I'll soon be earning an income, some of which may have to find itself in a safe place waiting to be traded for a voluptuous velocipede.

Lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    I spend enough time competing and fighting for the win off the bike. When I step on I like to ride for fun and smiles, which can mean fast or really slow and looking around. I love the idea that I could have two wheelsets, a fatty set for dirty, sandy, snowy action and a 700c/50+mm street set for around town/commuting/grocerying/potential road tours. Who cares if a bike is heavy? I'll get stronger.
    Well said, my brothah from a diff'rent mothah.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    ...Fat bikes will never attract the crown looking for an edge over the competition, unless the edge is going slower and having more fun on a heavier bike.
    I think I can quantify that.

Last year in the 12 hour race I did one more lap than I did this year with a fat front.

But I think I may have been slightly quicker on full fat. I swear I could feel the rear wheel (29er) slowing me down over obstacles and I lost traction in some places I didn't expect to.

I'll post a thread on this once I have had time to think over all the factors.

Edit: have to revise my opinion! It appears it was the course that was more difficult. I may have done one less lap, but I placed a fair bit higher this year.

I'll have to take the bike around in 29er form and see how it goes.
    Last edited by Velobike; 06-28-2011 at 04:27 AM.

mtbr member
    As one of the newest members here i would like to add this forum has a charm that is lost on other sites - it is all about getting out there & enjoying bikes that can take you to new untouched places. Very friendly folks & some really good advice in my short time here! Hope this place stays awesome for a long time to come

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    awesome pics of that old factory amazing
    Check it out. We stripped cycling down even more. Our ride last week,
    Safe for work
    http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com...ead=218&page=2
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    I'm leaving to Cancun for a couple of days tomorrow...it is almost midnight... and I had to lurk a while here before I left!

this forum is awesome!

pd: please send good vibes for a sunny weekend ... the forecast is not the best right now

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo View Post
    I'm leaving to Cancun for a couple of days tomorrow...it is almost midnight... and I had to lurk a while here before I left!

this forum is awesome!

pd: please send good vibes for a sunny weekend ... the forecast is not the best right now
    OK I'm thinking sun for you. Now can you think snow for us? Enjoy the beaches.
    Latitude 61

ent
    Sep 2011
    I must admit my LBS piqued my interest with the pugs and this forum single handedly sealed the deal for me and pushed me to getting a fatty. I haven't regretted a day since. Thanks guys!

my favorite are the builds and bikepacking pictures. I love seeing what people do to their bikes to make them unique and where they take them. All very inspiring. Keep it up!

Nemophilist
    Pffff.....

What a load of hooey. A bunch of geek, dork, dreamer, doofi sitting around in a pontoon
    bike circle jerk. Being helpful, inclusive, witty, nice even. Eeeeewwwwwyuk. You guys are
    queer.

Oh... wait, wrong forum. Sorry. You get used to most everywhere else and it kind of sticks
    to the bottom of your shoe, ya know? I don't even own a Fatbike, but I am utterly smitten,
    particularly by that ultra sexy 907 alloy seductress. Seeing you freakazoids doing all this
    crazy stuff makes me want to fire up the TIG, get some tubing, and start doing something
    really weird. Learning more about annealing and heat treating and gas purging and .... I've
    ridden in the snow since I was a kid, and still do on my MTB when it is possible. Finding
    this forum has lit a huge fire inside. It's burning!

Ride On.

Witty McWitterson
    I love this forum. Like another poster stated, its like the 29er forum was, 8 years ago. Enthusiastic, helpful, passionate, entertaining. Not the ego fest that its turned into. This place serves as a daily pick up for me. Love the pictures, the stories, the movies and the dreamers.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    hello all, I have been a lurker on so many different forums(I have alot of interests) I have never posted anything on any of them until now, since I built my gtfat bike I havent ridden anything else.

20 years of riding mountian bikes, and this is by far the funnest bike ever... I wish had done this years ago.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You know, we can really bring the house down here if we have a flat vs. clipless debate.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by wrcRS View Post
    You know, we can really bring the house down here if we have a flat vs. clipless debate.
    But I don't want to get a flat?
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Oh yeah? Well I can ride slower and have more fun than you can!!!

Fatbikes are very similar...but I'm perpetually amazed by how many different visions and personalities come out through the various builds on here. I visit this forum every time I'm on MTBR and have learned a TON. Now if we can just convince people to leave the Ti builds off...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    thats what I need to do next, take a ti frame and cut the back end off and build it into a fat bike. I wonder if anybody makes titanium fluxcore wire? that would be awesome!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Or what color is the fastest might get things stirred up

44.951909NRTH
    Quote Originally Posted by black cross View Post
    A raw frame with red bits is fastest...definitely.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by angryx View Post
    thats what I need to do next, take a ti frame and cut the back end off and build it into a fat bike. I wonder if anybody makes titanium fluxcore wire? that would be awesome!
    Titanium can not be welded by any conventional method. ESP mig.

The weld needs to be in a near vacuum and can not be welded to another alloy.

I can't wait til I can get my pugs!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by black cross View Post
    Bikes don't ride themselves

mtbr member
    I haven't an ounce of dignity and run around the interwebs like a little wh*re to get the info I need. But when I got interested in fats, I quickly landed here and have been stuck like glue ever since. It's the SOURCE. Yes, there's a bit of 'rah-rah' and 'gee-whiz' like any forum (and that's all good, within limits ;-). But there's also a disproportionate amount of super-legit info-sharing. I wouldn't be hanging out here if there wasn't value.

I owe this place a ton for helping me sort out equipment and manufacturers and all kinds of crazy details about how to get set up. Now that I'm a finally fat, I hope that it keeps its constructive and helpful vibe so that as I learn my lessons, I can repay some of that debt.

hopeless moron
    Quote Originally Posted by angryx View Post
    hello all, I have been a lurker on so many different forums(I have alot of interests) I have never posted anything on any of them until now, since I built my gtfat bike I havent ridden anything else.

20 years of riding mountian bikes, and this is by far the funnest bike ever... I wish had done this years ago.
    You entered into the fray in a blaze of fury… or was that welding flux? Welcome!

Ancient Astronaut
    The build was anything but straight forward, but in the end it made it more interesting and rewarding to overcome the "obstacles".

Here is a shot form today's torture test.

The fact that I was able to ride everything as I do in my 5 Spot has me very pleased, I had resigned myself to perhaps have to walk a few sections, like what follows this shot. If you look at the shot, towards the top left corner there is a "line" that looks like a log, it is actually the trail, and it is very steep, if I had any doubts about this bike, by the time I made it up that section, they had all evaporated.

Bike packing in the mountains, here I come!

mtbr member
    i would like to thank the Surly Moonlander and the BuD and LoU tires for putting the Fat back into Fat bikes. it was getting too 29er forum around here lately.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

'Calm Down'
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e View Post
    And the Single Speed forum before that...

I enjoy the real adventures that folks post here. They inspire me to plan and do.

jw
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOne View Post
    And the Single Speed forum before that...

I enjoy the real adventures that folks post here. They inspire me to plan and do.

jw
    I don't think this part of the fat forum is going anywhere soon.

mikesee and caminoloco videos are always incredible, and more people keep trickling in who have good cameras and the .

(You thought I was getting sentimental there, didn't you?!)
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    what a difference a year makes. Time for another bump
    ok put me in

mtbr member
    It's snowing!
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

Moderator Moderator

Mourning

At the end of August 2011, I got home from an 8 night bike/kayak trip in Maine, and the next day Vermont was devastated by flooding from tropical storm Irene. In the river valleys surrounded by steep mountains, there was nowhere for the water to go. Houses, roads, bridges, and a few people were taken out. Our offices were also flooded, and a few months later my group was temporarily housed in leased space in the same town where I live.

I was already a bike to bus commuter but I realized that I could get to this new office by taking the snowmobile trail from behind my house for a couple miles, spitting out on a dirt road, and then a short paved connector to another snowmobile trail, which spits out just uphill of the office. I immediately ordered a Fatback.

I had some concerns about the potentially spooky 6mi ride home alone at night, and got some help here with advice/support from MTBR fatbikers. Once I started riding it, I was in heaven, and only got spooked in a bad windstorm when you had to worry about blowdowns. While VT suffered a snow-poor winter, with some areas (1 hour north and south) with just bare ground almost the whole winter, somehow my commute stayed snow covered - (ok, there was some scarey ice underneath that caused a few incidents) - all winter, always getting another couple inches just when it was needed.

But now my office is moving again and I will be losing this fat dream commute by the end of January. I am already mourning it, I really enjoyed the M-F utility of the fatbike on the snowmobile trail. I will still use her for fun on the weekends or maybe for an occasional road commute, but it will not be the same. Thank you fellow fatbikers for your help and inspiration.

hopeless moron
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    At the end of August 2011, I got home from an 8 night bike/kayak trip in Maine, and the next day Vermont was devastated by flooding from tropical storm Irene. In the river valleys surrounded by................... will not be the same. Thank you fellow fatbikers for your help and inspiration.
    Wow, moving/emotional reading that—the whole thing, especially the fat commuting part. Repped appropriately.

mtbr member
    Here's my penny's worth.

I rode mountain bikes for years in the UK and loved it but I started to lose my love of biking. I then emigrated to Canada and the rockies reignited my love for cycling. then I got into road biking. I loved it but always got annoyed when the snow came. To keep my interest I joined a race team to make sure all my energy was expelled before old father winter came. Didn't work.

January this year I came across this forum and the seed was sown. The posts were so interesting and fun to read and the bikes just blew my mind. As I have got older I have become more interested in the pioneering and innovative side of biking and this is where the Fatbikes and their owners have really brought a new aspect to cycling. Instead of big bike manufacturers inventing new things, the everyday guy in the street has thought of it before them and done it better.

For me it is the best cycling I have ever done. There is none of the Go Go Go of road biking, it's more relaxed and I love the fact that I'm able to explore my surroundings more, especially when I live in such a beautiful place. I'm already planning 3 week bike packing tours across Canada and winter excursions to the mountains in the most ridiculous of temperatures. The weather no longer bothers me.

My fatback is my most prized possession. When Pete Bassinger built the bike and I drove 1300kms from Canada to Bend, Oregon to collect it, I suddenly realized that I was completely hooked. I would never have driven that far to get a bike.

The people I have connected with, made friends with and gained huge knowledge from, have mainly come from this forum. There isn't the stuffiness of other forums, no snobs, no vicious attacks on people's pride and joys, no rudeness and no reason for me to stopping checking it every three hours like I do now. It's an addiction. I'm pleased when I have experiences to pass on and even happier when I have a new subject to read when someone else discovers a brilliant solution to an issue.

I hope the forum doesn't change. It's perfect as are the people who add to it everyday. Thank you for reigniting my passion back into cycling. Thank you for a brilliant database for others to use in the future and thanks for the laughs.

Ride on my friends.

Richie, Calgary.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesilversurfer View Post
    ...it is the best cycling I have ever done. There is none of the Go Go Go of road biking, it's more relaxed and I love the fact that I'm able to explore my surroundings more, especially when I live in such a beautiful place....
    That sums it up beautifully.

I think the average mtb has evolved into a weapon for going fast on armoured and groomed trails with the ability to handle big jumps. Basically a machine designed to be exploited for speed and thrills. They are very good for that, but it seems to me their virtues are really concentrated on the downward part of the ride and its attendant speed.

THe fatbike on the other hand is a bike to take you places, where you'd rather look at the view rather than the 20 metres of track in front of you. That it can be ridden enjoyably on the "exciting" stuff is a wee bonus.

A Surly Maverick
    I agree with VB

Beautifully put Richie

The Fat IS where it`s at
    Life IS a Beach and then you Corrode

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    This is by far the best forum I have had the luck of being a part of. I have built a 907 and anytime I needed any form of advise I got it IMMEDIATELY Thanks guys I will continue to follow along for all the great commentary and pictures.
    As the rest of you guys know you can never leave well enough alone there are always going to be upgrades and changes to any bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0