mtbr member

Fat bike vs. 100 mm full suspension 29er

I am currently bike less after selling my last HT 29er off. I was looking at buying a FS 100mm 29er for the rooty NE Ohio that I ride in but these fat bikes intrique me..

Has anyone come from a full suspension 29er and like a fat bike better?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer27 View Post
    I am currently bike less after selling my last HT 29er off. I was looking at buying a FS 100mm 29er for the rooty NE Ohio that I ride in but these fat bikes intrique me..

Me!

mtbr member
    I have.

I pretty much Ride my 1X9 Pugs(36 lbs) over my FS 29er and my SS 29er. I did notice that for longer rides (35+) a FS would be a bit better for me. If your looking into a fatty check out the Beargrease (28 lbs)

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Lenz Lunchbox would be my go to bike for 29er FS duty, love it.

That being said, my FS Fattie is pretty damn awesome, and sees a whole lot of trail time that my 'Box used to dominate....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

conjoinicorned
    they aren't even similar bikes...

the fatbike will go wherever you want it to but that doesn't make it the right tool for the job (or the wrong one). the question is...what do you want out of it?
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Nemophilist
    The answer is...

Yes, you can be very satisfied riding a Fatty every day. I have been for most of the summer.

I have a 2 year old Niner RIP9 that was "my dream bike" that has been sitting in the garage largely un-ridden since I got my Fatty built. I am NOT someone who is interested in riding without suspension at all. No hard tails or rigid or anything for me. I ride rough & rocky Eastern single track. I like cush and I don't want to put up with a lot of trail noise, nor can my arms take the pounding.

The Fatty has won my heart, and I am a bit surprised to say that I think I'm getting close to strongly preferring it. I rode my Niner last week and really did not have much fun. It felt dead and lifeless, and I had forgotten how AWFUL all the CONSTANT pedal strikes are. The Fatty certainly is a bit rougher to ride, but at the same time the big tires cut out a lot of the annoying trail noise without numbing the experience. It seems to hit a nice balance between lively and peaceful.

Hard to believe, but true!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have both (Giant Anthem 29er and Sandman Gobi hardtail fat bike with Maverick fork). I have them set up with similar cockpit measurements, same saddle, ect. I can honestly say I don't prefer one over the other, but the 29er is what I take when I'm riding with a group- particularly if I know there will be fast riders who I will have to work to keep up with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    I can honestly say I don't prefer one over the other, but the 29er is what I take when I'm riding with a group- particularly if I know there will be fast riders who I will have to work to keep up with.

^^^^^Agree. Only my other bike is a 26 FS. I'm working on a 29'er.
    2010 Intense Spider 2
    2010 Ibis Tranny SS
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2
    2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
    2013 Trek Domane 5.2
    2014 Hakkalugi

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    well let's put it this way i have a sick FULL SUSPENSION 29ER and recently purchased a salsa mukluk and well needless to say the rumblefish II is up for sale....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I tested a few 29'er fullys and hardtails, than I tested the sandman and i bought the sandman.

It's about grip,stability, rebounce, momentum,... not about an extra inch of travel!

The thing about grip: it also means drag, and the thing about stability and momentum: it also means inertia and weight! So it 'll depend on your riding!

For me it is now simple:

I want to have fun= fat tires
    I want to go where i normally can't get= fat tires
    If it's mainly downhill= fat tires
    Stuff like a marathon= 29'er tires: I loose 5 or 10 seconds in a difficult downhill, but I gain 1 minute in the climbs!

Even with the 29'er wheels the sandman hoggar does rather well in the downhill parts: the fork angle is pretty agressive, the fork works well, the titanium filters a lot of noise and the seat dropper allows you legs to do some work.

But if I just swapped tires, i need to take things real easy and avoid riding first in downhill sections!
    Cornering speed and stopping distance are normal again but you are not always aware!

Icebiker
    I like both equally. I take the FS29'er on the technical northeast trails I typically ride, and the fattie when riding soft conditions (sand, snow) or just goofing around on the tamer stuff. Both bring a smile to my face. I will say, however, that the fattie has made some of my other bikes (e.g. my HT and 1X9) somewhat redundant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer27 View Post

I have, see the blog. I have no regrets.
    My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

It really depends on what type of riding you'll be doing

I've got a Ti El Mariachi (hardtail 29er w/ 100mm fork) and a Pug. I consider the El Mar to be far superior on dry trails because I value the ability to change direction and speed quickly and the lighter weight on my western Montana long climbs. It allows me to go MUCH faster on long descents where traction is good. When the trails are muddy or (of course) snow-covered, the Pug shines and is just as much fun, in a different way for different reasons, than the El Mar.

SS Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnymac View Post
    well let's put it this way i have a sick FULL SUSPENSION 29ER and recently purchased a salsa mukluk and well needless to say the rumblefish II is up for sale....
    HAHA funny. Same here bought a New Yeti 575 this year and a fatbike a few weeks later... Needless to say I have not ridden the 575 since I bought the fatbike and the Yeti 575 is up for sale...
    I took the fatbike on a trip to WI stopped in IA and road and it did great on everything I road in WI and IA as well as CO.

Bad cat!
    Notice that we keep talking about 'fatbike' like they're all the same, but evolution is causing them to diversify a bit. A Moonie running bud and lou at 5psi is a kind of a different critter than a 9zero7 (for example) running a Lefty with 47mm rims and Husker Du's at 12psi. The latter is going to feel more '29ery' than the former and be a lot more trail-oriented...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_ben View Post
    Notice that we keep talking about 'fatbike' like they're all the same, but evolution is causing them to diversify a bit. A Moonie running bud and lou at 5psi is a kind of a different critter than a 9zero7 (for example) running a Lefty with 47mm rims and Husker Du's at 12psi. The latter is going to feel more '29ery' than the former and be a lot more trail-oriented...
    most definitely distinctions to be made as FATS evolve.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

I just found out why I was feeling that riding the Fatty was more fun than my Niner. IT'S EASIER!!! Now... how can a bike that is 7-8lbs heavier and slower be easier to ride? Just got back from a ride on the Niner. Holy crap, that thing is hard to ride. I know that sounds really dumb, but it's true!!! I was slipping and sliding all over the place. Washing out on off cambers and getting stuck in piles of wet leaves. Bashing pedals and gnashing my bash ring off everything. Gads!

The ride is sort of opposite. The Fatty soaks all the little annoying stuff, and walks right over all the noise, but does not on the larger hits. The Niner is the opposite. It does not absorb all the little stuff near as well, but will take the big rollers and sharp hits better... obviously. I now realize what real traction is too.

My 2nd Fatty will hopefully be finished shortly. Dang. Is my Niner going to be for sale soon?
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses.

I think I will just buy one and give it a try. Should be snowing my way soon so no better time