mtbr member

fat bike tires for a trailer

I obtained two dead Beasts
    and want to make a two wheeled trailer with a set of these tires.
    (the cranks are toast).

Has anyone already done this?

Any ideas to start from?

I'll be towing this behind another fat bike to and on the beach.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fat bike tires for a trailer-img_4631.jpg  

mtbr member
    You could make one in the style of the Carry Freedom Y-Frame.
    You don΄t need much, just a plate, an axis, a shaft and a box.

Edit: Instead of an axis you can use the two forks like seen in this pic.

mtbr member
    I am wondering the same thing. I would like to convert my burley kids trailer. Mine came with mag wheels but I think if I made the axle longer and used the factory quick release I could just relace the hubs to fat ones. Even just regular 26" would be fine for me. I just want more clearance.

mtbr member
    Name:  Diy-Wooden-Trailer-3-1.jpg
Views: 2247
Size:  37.0 KB
    In researching ideas I came across this wooden frame version and since I'm set up with woodworking tools and not steel or aluminum I'll try out this method first since it won't cost me much. I'll use 3/4" ply cut into 2" long stringers then lap joint them together cutting the lap joints out with my dado blades. It will be glued together then have a 1/2" ply top screwed and glued to the frame. I'll use some kind of metal for the wheels to fasten to. As for the hitch, well I don't yet know. I used to see the seat post type but not any more? I thought that might be the easiest way to go? Anyway it shouldn't cost me much as I already have the spare wood available. Hitches, got to think about hitches ……….

just a note, the width of the front and back tire hubs are different widths so I need to design for that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I used an older Trek child trailer as the basis for my trailer I just built. I was going to build up some new wheels, but decided to go with 20x3.0 Kenda Flame tires for this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fat bike tires for a trailer-image.jpg  

mtbr member

Smile What I did

I took some time building these rims from an original pair of snowcats and the original hubs that came on the Kidarooz. I used it last winter here in AK to commute with my preschooler and days of heavy snowfall and when it got below 0 degrees. All I have to say is boot anchor. It was not faster buy any means compared to the standard trail a bike. I would much rather drag the trail a bike through deep snow. And I just put more layers on my daughter on the old days.

What are you using the trailer for?

Have you considered a fat single wheel trailer?

As far as the hitch goes a regular trail a bike rubs the back tire with any sudden roller or transition where the bike travels down a decent while the trail a bike is still on higher ground. I would say a side hitch is best.

Oh and my preschooler is the biggest in her class so I'd say I was pulling 80lbs + trailer and kid weight.

But if you need two wheels I get it. I would like to compare drag with real fat rims.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Ok just read the rest of your post. Dude I say dully wheels (2 each side) MAX FLOAT. That will get the ladies attention for sure. You would be able to pull a keg through dry sandy sand.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Yes
    Go the duel wheel set
    That would be super cool
    Cheers
    Ip

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm The Mission.

I give sandcastle lessons on the beach here on South Padre Island, Texas. During the peak summer months there is no parking available anywhere next to the beach side. It's a small island, and I bike to almost everywhere for everything, just as long as I can carry it, if not then I got to use the jeep.

The attached photo shows what I got to move, 5 gallon buckets, some plastic sheets rolled up into another bucket, a 3 gallon bucket full of tools and a couple of shovels. Normally I use that green backpack to haul the buckets with one hand for the forms and the other for the shovels, it's load but I can hike it a fair distance when I have to (like yesterday).

The photo shows me using my diy kayak cart/dolly to haul my gear to the beach and it did ok but never was meant to be pulled by bike. I want something better, and this won't go on the beach very well.

Enter the Fat Bike solution! A single wheel option I thought about but the dual wheel version would give me better floatation, and be more stable once I park it and have to load and unload it. I could also use it as a hand cart. It would also store better in the garage with all the gear on it.

So there's the mission, to get to the beach and then ride on the beach for a distance of several miles max from my garage while pulling all my sandcastle lesson gear that I normally backpack in.

btw, look up South Padre Island Sandcastle Lessons on Facebook to see my lesson page, if curious …… or my name Dennis Barrett.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fat bike tires for a trailer-my-black-bike-.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
    ...Hitches, got to think about hitches ……….

just a note, the width of the front and back tire hubs are different widths so I need to design for that.
    Hitch:
    Air tool quick-release connectors.

Hub widths:
    Design it so both sides of the trailer are symmetrical for the max tire clearance. Then you use a different metal mounting plate tailored to the width of the hub. Future flexibility for hubs of any width.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post

Hub widths:
    Design it so both sides of the trailer are symmetrical for the max tire clearance. Then you use a different metal mounting plate tailored to the width of the hub. Future flexibility for hubs of any width.
    good idea!

mtbr member
    Working on a quick and dirty trailer with available stuff in my garage. Got a 4th of July Beach Parade that morning and want to be done for that! No pics yet ….. ripped some 2x2s and got some 1/2" plywood, plus some metal for the axle mounts. Hitch will be a section of aluminum tubing using hose clamps to a hose that goes around the seat post, like I said, quick and dirty! next got to find some paint …… hummm……..

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have sourced a burley encore and a pair of occ stingrays, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to lace the 20h hub to the 36h rims.

Can anybody help me figure out a way short of drilling a new set of holes in the rim?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyJr View Post
    I have sourced a burley encore and a pair of occ stingrays, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to lace the 20h hub to the 36h rims.

Can anybody help me figure out a way short of drilling a new set of holes in the rim?
    I bought the same stingray tire and rim for my trailer. I bought a new cheap 36 h hub and laced it to the rim. The hub also has a disc brake mount which I intend to use.

mtbr member
    Did the burley have the quick release hubs? That is what mine has. If I know I can build up some cheap 26" wheels I would gladly do it. Do you have a link to the rims you are talking about?

The air tool chuck hitch mount is also a good idea. Does anyone have a pic of a trailer rigged with that? I use just the standard burley hitch on my skewer right now. But I am gonna be going to a thru axle soon so I don't know if it will still work.

mtbr member
    the first part done … next to get ready for the 4th of July Beach Parade.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fat bike tires for a trailer-img_4713.jpg  

fat bike tires for a trailer-img_4708.jpg  

Last edited by spidennis; 07-04-2014 at 10:31 PM.

mtbr member
    the paint was still drying ….
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fat bike tires for a trailer-img_4723.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    ... The air tool chuck hitch mount is also a good idea. Does anyone have a pic of a trailer rigged with that? ...
    Not mine, but they are

fat bike tires for a trailer-bicycle-trailer-hitch-quick-release-hose-couplin.jpg
    fat bike tires for a trailer-attach-hose-trailer-handle.jpg

mtbr member
    my hitch, a hose wrapped around the seat post and zip tied to the aluminum pole. this worked good enough to the hardware store where I bought three hose clamps, my only expense for this entire project.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
    ... a hose wrapped around the seat post ... to the ... pole...
    That's the other classic method. Easy to put quick-release connectors in there too.

mtbr member
    I discovered that my cart needs a few mods ……… what I don't like is the wheel track is too narrow and the center of gravity too high. For the parade it did fine because it was a first gear speed but now I want to load it up with my sandcastle lesson gear and ride faster.

The plan is to cut out the middle piece of 1/2 ply and make a drop box between the wheel assemblies to lower the CG and give me a couple of inches wider track.

Hitch: what to do next? I'd like something that connects closer to the axle on the bike, still playing with those ideas. google has been helpful and I'll have to do more of that but first I'll work on the cart mods.

mtbr member
    Here's v2.0, with a lowered CG and wider track, it has a much better ride now.

Now with this overall basic design I'll be thinking about doing it all in aluminum to make it lighter.

The all wood construction does give it some weight which I feel when going through the really deep sand.

Anyway, all it cost me was for the three hose clamps, had all the rest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fat bike tires for a trailer-img_4809.jpg  

fat bike tires for a trailer-img_4808.jpg  

fat bike tires for a trailer-img_4816.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have an anti litter patrol party to be ready for on saturday afternoon and I have a sandcastle lesson near there in the morning and now I'm prepared for both. Had to modify my extensions and gave it a test run and much prefer the lower CG and wider track. I still have the same hitch , it works, and I like the seat post method because I can make some really tight turns with it but would like a quick disconnect soon to make things easier on myself.

In my test run yesterday (without the parade extension) everything went very well. It was mostly in the grannie gear because the beach was crowed but I was able to pick my way thru easy enough. Got to second and third even on a few short stretches as folk left the beach after 7 pm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fat bike tires for a trailer-img_4854.jpg