Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Which fat bike should i buy?

Let me introduce myself, my name is Tommy and last time i rode a bike was 20 years ago. I was more into sport motorcycles until i got hurt few year back. Since i don't want another motorcycle i decided to get into riding bicycles and the fat bike really caught my attention. Now since i am very new to this fat bike thing i really cannot decide which bike to buy, there is so many of them and also there are custom ones. I have around $3000 to spend and i need you professional advice as to what to get, i really want a custom bike with colors i want but if that is out of my price range i will settle for off the shelve one but i want a really good bike with good parts in it and good handling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    In the land of the fat, the 4.8s on hunjos is king.

mtbr member
    4.8 it is. But which brand, can $3000 buy a custom built bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    There are hundreds of options for fat bikes under $3000. Window shop the picture thread for your options.

/ thread

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi-iv View Post
    Let me introduce myself, my name is Tommy and last time i rode a bike was 20 years ago. I was more into sport motorcycles until i got hurt few year back. Since i don't want another motorcycle i decided to get into riding bicycles and the fat bike really caught my attention. Now since i am very new to this fat bike thing i really cannot decide which bike to buy, there is so many of them and also there are custom ones. I have around $3000 to spend and i need you professional advice as to what to get, i really want a custom bike with colors i want but if that is out of my price range i will settle for off the shelve one but i want a really good bike with good parts in it and good handling.
    I too come from the SBK world after injuries while amateur racing but it was a chapter in my life I would not trade for anything. 4.8's are not necessary since 3.8's can pretty much do the same sans heavy snow fall and if your plan is to trail / XC ride the 3.8's are a superior choice for such rides.
    Check the PM i sent.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Did you need custom frame for sizing, or just for color/styling.
    Either way, the Carver Ti options look good for the price range you mention. It would be a shame to paint the whole frame though, at least leave some bare ti.

mtbr member
    The custom frame is more for looks, i have my own colors and to represent my business colors as well. Also by having custom frame i think the bike will ride better than stock frame (but that just my opinion)

How good is Carver Ti frame comparing to a 9:zero:7, surly, salsa.

Also i have a local shop in town that can build me one and the frame they are getting is from Capitol Bicycles, have anyone of you heard of this name and how good they are. they are from Ohio as far as i know

mtbr member
    @tomi-iv Maybe you could tell us about where you are going to be riding? Is it hilly/flat? Is it just for around town, on gravel, singletrack, on the beach, in the snow, mud etc. and a quick breakdown of how much time your going to spend on each. Otherwise advice is going to be a bit of a crapshoot.

mtbr member
    If you haven't ridden in 20 years a custom bike is a really, really bad idea. You don't know what you don't know at this point and you have no idea what you want, and if you ask us, you're going to end up with someone elses' dream bike, not your own.

Since yer new to fatbikes and all that, and since you've given no hint as to how you're gonna ride it, I'd suggest the humble surly pugsley. it's a great way to get into fatbikes.

it's insanely versatile, it's cheap, it's easy to re-sell if you 1: don't end up liking fatbikes (which can happen. Fatbiking can be insanely frustrating) 2:like fatbikes so much that you want something even better (which is where you will be if you really like it).

It's also the easiest/cheapest to upgrade- no low-production run hubs, just good ol' 135s.

Puglsey does not run the fattest tires, but honestly, 4" tires are pretty awesome and I can tell you that the difference in "float" between the giant tires and the super giant tires isn't that great if yer over 200 pounds.

Don't let 3k burn a hole in your pocket. Spend half that (or less if you find a used one) on a basic fatbike, ride the hell out of it this winter and discover what you really like and don't like. Then, armed with that info, buy a custom next year, sell the basic bike and get 75% of your money back. Can't lose.

Customs can be incredibly hard to sell and if you don't like it, you'll lose a butt-load of cash.

mtbr member
    I will be riding this bike everywhere (trails, snow, flat, sand just about anywhere)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    If you haven't ridden in 20 years a custom bike is a really, really bad idea. You don't know what you don't know at this point and you have no idea what you want, and if you ask us, you're going to end up with someone elses' dream bike, not your own.
    +1 - buy a production fatbike. Ride it. See if you actually like it. If you do like it you'll be in a much better place to spec a custom bike after a season or two of riding.

You may find yourself completely happy with a production bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

get down!
    I would second the Pugsley option or wait until the new Specialized Fat Boy comes out. It will be around 2K and will be lighter and have big tires and rims.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    All i need from you guys is to tell me which frame and fork combo is good to go with, since there are so many. I know i can buy a production bike but even then there are more options for the price of the pugsley.

Is pugsley better than a mukluk or origin8 crawler etc.

mtbr member
    All i need from you guys is to tell me which frame and fork combo is good to go with, since there are so many. I know i can buy a production bike but even then there are more options for the price of the pugsley.

Go to your LBS and test ride. Then you'll know.

Seriously, it's all subjective. I think my pugsley is awesome because it's the bike I have. It's also the only one that I was able to test ride before buying.

You are overthinking this. It's just a bike and there is no wrong answer. AFAIK, other than the wall-goose, there's no such thing as a bad fat bike yet.

never summer

Is the Pugsley better than the Mukluk...well this akin to asking a guy riding a 1198s if its better than F4-RR. Usually it's an opinion with bias.

Take some time read some reviews of various bikes. Browse the picture threads and build threads. Decide what frame material you want. Then narrow your options.

If you want a suggestion of where to start with just a frameset then okay...but your own physical ergonomics should help you pick a bike.

Classic do it all: Pugsley or Moonlander
    Current High End: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, 9:Zero:7 Carbon, Mukluk Ti
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

mtbr member
    The problem is nobody carries anything else than a pugsley or mukluk around chicago to test ride. That's what the problem is. Every store that i went to tried to sell what they have in stock, and also there was one store that went so far as to sell me a used bike as new. Maybe that's why i am overthinking.

mtbr member
    The problem is nobody carries anything else than a pugsley or mukluk around chicago to test ride. That's what the problem is.
    In a lot of places having 2 varieties of fatbikes to test ride would be awesome - not a problem.

Both bikes are solid choices. Ride them and pick one. You will have a good bike in your garage.

If you like the Muk and feel like spending cash you can order up a Ti version.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

never summer

The problem is nobody carries anything else than a pugsley or mukluk around chicago to test ride. That's what the problem is. Every store that i went to tried to sell what they have in stock, and also there was one store that went so far as to sell me a used bike as new. Maybe that's why i am overthinking.
    Hit up your local sub-forum and see if there are any fatbike owners in your area who might let you test ride.

Like Vik said either one of those choices are great bikes. If you decide to upgrade you won't have a problem selling the frame on eBay...or building a second bike. Bikes are like motorcycles 1 is all you need but you'll want more...want a 2 stoke just cause, want a sbk, and maybe a BMW GS for that commute or trip from Alaska to tip of South America.

mtbr member
    Come up to Madison, Wi! 2 hour drive will do you some good. Erik's has pugsleys, I'm guessing that since Willy bikes went away, someone in town will pick up salsa...

Here's something kinda cool.

There's a little bike shop in Cambridge, WI that rents fatbikes by the hour- they've got pugsleys last time I checked. CamRockSport.com | Fresh Air, Dirty Trails, Cool Water, Tasty Food and Brew

Drive up to cambridge, it's like 2.5 hours from chicago. It's a cute little town. Rent a fatbike and ride the cam-rock trail system- it's an amazing collection of trails that manage to be both easy and challenging- they're the prefect beginner trails.

If you'd like, I'll even meet you there and ride with you as long as you buy me a sandwich.

mtbr member
    But if i go surly or salsa i can't have my own colors, i have to buy what they sell. At least i want custom paint if nothing else

mtbr member
    Come up to Madison, Wi! 2 hour drive will do you some good. Erik's has pugsleys, I'm guessing that since Willy bikes went away, someone in town will pick up salsa...

Here's something kinda cool.

There's a little bike shop in Cambridge, WI that rents fatbikes by the hour- they've got pugsleys last time I checked. CamRockSport.com | Fresh Air, Dirty Trails, Cool Water, Tasty Food and Brew

Drive up to cambridge, it's like 2.5 hours from chicago. It's a cute little town. Rent a fatbike and ride the cam-rock trail system- it's an amazing collection of trails that manage to be both easy and challenging- they're the prefect beginner trails.

If you'd like, I'll even meet you there and ride with you as long as you buy me a sandwich.
    I was thinking after the sandwich to split a twix also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Powdercoating a new color is about $100, don't let colors stop you. Surly even sells replacement decals.

Ride a Pugsley. If it doesn't put a smile on your face, then fat biking is not for you.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    But if i go surly or salsa i can't have my own colors, i have to buy what they sell. At least i want custom paint if nothing else
    Here you go- custom powder coating, janesville. Guessing there's something in chicago, despite it's tiny size and total lack of bike related services.

COONER INTERGALACTIC

You asked for advice, don't get pissy if it's not what you wanted to hear.

mtbr member
    Even if i won't like fat bike riding i still want to have one, just to show off. So it's gotta be nice. Like i said i have $3K to burn so i might as well buy something better than a production bike. So this being said what can i get for $3K.

mtbr member

Stock frame, custom parts kit. I went with a solid build, but not the very high-end stuff. I'm probably in for close to $4k. However, I went the LBS route. You could get it closer to 3k with internet-shopping and slightly cheaper parts.

I love this bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Moonlander for showing off.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Moonlander for showing off.
    Thats why i want the fattest tires you can have on a bike

Perpetual n00b
    Also, do make sure to set back at least $500 of your budget for upgrade/replacement tires.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    DISCLAIMER: I don't want this to turn into another argument. I am NOT saying one is better or you should buy this.

There are only a few bikes that will handle the biggest tires and rims. Moonlander for sure but it's a steel frame. The new, soon to be delivered 9-0-7, 190 mm, which is aluminum and I cant think of any others. Oh yeah, the new, not yet available Borealis carbon, but that's gonna blow your $3000. budget. Help me out guy's what other frame will hold Bud/Lou on Clownshoes?

gone walk about
    Even if i won't like fat bike riding i still want to have one, just to show off. So it's gotta be nice. Like i said i have $3K to burn so i might as well buy something better than a production bike. So this being said what can i get for $3K.
    you can have my Pug for a mere 2.5k and i'll pay freight up to $100.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    DISCLAIMER: I don't want this to turn into another argument. I am NOT saying one is better or you should buy this.

There are only a few bikes that will handle the biggest tires and rims. Moonlander for sure but it's a steel frame. The new, soon to be delivered 9-0-7, 190 mm, which is aluminum and I cant think of any others. Oh yeah, the new, not yet available Borealis carbon, but that's gonna blow your $3000. budget. Help me out guy's what other frame will hold Bud/Lou on Clownshoes?

I don't know of others, but the 2014 Moonlander comes stock with Bud/Lou and Clownshoes, which, at the moment, is the largest available.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Are 907's or fatback bikes build better than the moonlander. They are in the same price range and all offer a frame that can take a 4.8 tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You want to show off? Buy a Pug Ops, send the frame and rims out for a custom paint/powdercoat job, put a Bud 4.8 inch tire on the front for extra fatness and handling. Get some custom wood fenders from Woodys Custom Wood Bicycle Fenders. You will have a great riding fatbike within your budget.

If you are new to riding, don't forget all the accessories you will need, such as a helmet, pedals, glasses, gloves, cycling shorts, tool bag or backpack, multi-tool, spare tube/patch kit, pump/inflator, chain lube, water bottle and cage or hydration pack, and cycling shoes if you want to use clipless pedals. These will take a chunk of your budget.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    get a fatback ti or sandman hoggar ti and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    What is the importance of the custom paint?

It sounded like you wanted the custom paint to show off.

What specific colors, and or designs were you wanting to do?

It must be something pretty dramatic, or unique.

I ask, because to have a fat bike draws so much attention to the tires, who's even going to notice the paint job?

Please tell us what your Ideas are for custom paint. It may help us know where to tell you to get a custom frame, or where to get a production frame painted. That, and I just want to know.

If the only reason you want a custom is for the paint job, there's no need to have the frame custom built, if it will have the same geometry, and features as a production bike. Most people who get a custom get it built with a unique sizing, or geometry to suit them better than an off the shelf bike.

As for the show off factor though, if you do have a custom frame built, you might could go with something unique in the frame design, like an X design top tube, or a double skinny downtube or top tube or both, or just look around at other weird frame designs, and pick one you would like to assimilate in a fat bike. Most deviations from the standard diamond shape will increase weight and sacrifice stiffness and strength though, but you can get more standover clearance if needed, or more compliance for a smoother ride. An elevated chainstay design would be cool for getting the fattest tires to fit while keeping the cranks from having to be as wide as a moonlander.

mtbr member
    Paint job is one thing, but having a frame that not many people know is another. Everybody knows Salsa and Surly but not everybody knows who Capitol Bicycles Company is(this is just for example) right. So i want to be different than everybody else, i want the bike, frame and paint job to be made only for me and nobody else. And i would pay more than $3K if i have to just to get it i just wanted to stay under $3K if i could because i don't think this bikes are worth more than that. I would really like to think that they are worth what their asking price.

I just asked a simple question and got so many replies but did not accomplish anything so far.

Since i don't know all the brands out there and what their quality is i asked here for help do decide what brand i should spend my money on. I really want to get a quality bike not just another bike and if that's not in my budget than fine.

mtbr member
    I get it- he doesn't care how it rides or if he'll like it, he just wants something flashy as hell. Think Hummer on 32" chrome wheels.

If that's the case, try spooky- they do custom, they have crazy colors. Then take whatever rims you buy to the powdercoater and get them painted to match. Hell, if you look hard enough you can find someone who will recover a saddle to match.

Or if you want more subtle flash, go with a moots Ti snowbike. Won't have much left over for parts but it will look the biz.

mtbr member
    Or if you want more subtle flash, go with a moots Ti snowbike. Won't have much left over for parts but it will look the biz.
    The Moots snow bike is $4K for the frame only. I hope you get a fork for that kind of $$, but I'm not sure about that.

I am starting to get a troll-esque vibe from this thread so that may not be an issue
    Last edited by vikb; 08-26-2013 at 08:19 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Paint job is one thing, but having a frame that not many people know is another. Everybody knows Salsa and Surly but not everybody knows who Capitol Bicycles Company is(this is just for example) right. So i want to be different than everybody else, i want the bike, frame and paint job to be made only for me and nobody else. And i would pay more than $3K if i have to just to get it i just wanted to stay under $3K if i could because i don't think this bikes are worth more than that. I would really like to think that they are worth what their asking price.

I just asked a simple question and got so many replies but did not accomplish anything so far.

Since i don't know all the brands out there and what their quality is i asked here for help do decide what brand i should spend my money on. I really want to get a quality bike not just another bike and if that's not in my budget than fine.
    Well, it all depends on what features you want in a custom frame. what material?
    USA built aluminum and steel custom frames can be had in this price range, but it will easily go way over $3k if you are looking for high end components and custom paint, custom tubing, bending, add ons, etc. You might could also get an asian built custom titanium frame and stay in the $3k range.

How can you tell the difference between a custom frame and an off the shelf frame by looking at it? Unless you have some nonstandard frame design in mind, the only way to tell the difference would be with a tape measure.

If you can tell us what kind of non- standard frame design you want, we could steer you toward a particular builder. Otherwise, any of them will do for a standard diamond shaped frame. If you want something wilder looking, maybe Black sheep bicycles would be an option, but a lot more $$$.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I am starting to get a troll-esque vibe from this thread so cost that may not be an issue
    There was a farmer who had a dog,
    And Bingo was his name-o.
    B-I-N-G-O
    B-I-N-G-O
    B-I-N-G-O
    And Bingo was his name-o.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Maybe a frame like this one from 3D racing in Colorado:
    Mountain Bikes

mtbr member
    So how about those wilder looking frame builders, are there any?

never summer

....I just asked a simple question and got so many replies but did not accomplish anything so far.

Your simple question was vague and general, and got good response considering the subject of this thread. A full custom bike is gonna take effort on your part to learn about fat bike specific things like hub spacing, rim/tire clearance and so on. I suggest you start looking at companies who built bikes for NAHBS this year as there were lots of fat bikes. Then contact a few and go from there.

Here browse this link: http://fat-bike.com/2013/02/the-fat-side-of-nahbs-2013/

Google NAHBS fat bike 2013 and there are plenty of pics and articles. Be aware custom bike builders sometimes have wait lists...some maybe 2-3 weeks others could be years.

mtbr member
    So far i like frames from Capitol Bicycles, Twenty 2 Cycles, 38 Frameworks and maybe 907 190mm.

I am working on a parts list and will post with what i come up with.

never summer

I'm a sucker for Ti frames...really like BlackSheep's stuff.

Also check out http://schlickcycles.com/bikes/northpaw/ they do custom bikes and have a good gallery. I'm looking forward to their longtail or fat cargo bike.

If you wanna go simple looking like single speed for aesthetics look into a internal gear hub like a Shimano Alfine 8 or 11. However they require a 135mm rear hub...this is why I went Surly.

If you do decide to go off the shelf bike and a custom paint job Spectrum Powderworks in Colorado has a good rep. I went to a local shop and they did an okay job, but I didn't pay a lot.

Titanium junkie
    You even gonna ride the bike, or just show it off, might help
    us understand what you want.
    Hell, get a Pug and strip the thing and paint it whatever color you want, have stickers
    made for whatever you want it to say on the bike, can't get any simpler than that.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If you are going to spend $3K on a custom framed bike, you are going to have to stick to the bare essentials, and end up with a pretty bland, but well fitting bike, and you don't even have a good idea what would fit well at this point. The main reason for doing this would be because an off the shelf frame doesn't fit you well.

If you spend $3k on a stock framed build or a complete bike, you will be able to get a higher end bike, with a pretty light frame, and some nice components, and a frame that is still unique enough that you will probably never see one like it at the trails. Even the new specialized fat bike coming out soon is going to be made in pretty limited numbers, so I don't know who you are referring to when you say you want something different from everyone else in a fat bike. How many people do you know with fat bikes?

mtbr member
    Whatever you do to a PUG would still be a PUG. When i say different i mean custom built frame from somebody that is not selling to the public, from a shop that not everybody knows, that"s why i mentioned Capitol Bicycles Company - how many of you know about this guy, but he is making pretty damn good frames. I had a chance to talk to a person that already owns one and he says that this custom bike is different in every aspect than a production bike like salsa or surly. From light frame to a carbon fork to different geometry that handles better etc, It is different. I dont really know how to explain it. Even if i won;t ride this bike i still want to have a masterpiece from somebody that will hand make this frame. I am talking quality, USA hand made frame, that i want to be proud of. Yes i will ride this bike, maybe not like some of you guys but still i will ride it but when i am done riding i want to clean it and put it on display in my garage so friends and people will be able to see it and talk about it.

mtbr member
    Fatbikes are for riding, and having fun on, not posing,
    They get scraped, dents, scratched - its an offroad bicycle,

Joe public who does not read up on fatbikes will not tell the differance between any make of fatbike, all they do is stare at the tyres

If you wanna show off learn to wheelie

You can ride the dirtiest old fatbike and will look more cool if you can wheelie or ride the wheels off it than sitting posing on a blinged out clean bike in town,
    Folk around here would just shake there heads and laugh at you posing on one
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If you want a high quality fat bike mostly for show; I can understand, people collect all sorts of things...just to have...older cars as an example. And thank God for them; for others do get enjoyment from looking at them.

But fat bikes do not yet fall into that category. As CK pointed out, Joe public will just see the tires, and perhaps be wowed by a fantastic finish of your choice. But that will not bring you the greatest level of satisfaction from your showmanship.

You must decide for whom are you building this bike for; yourself or others; and just who are these others: 'elite' bicyclists or average Joe.

Would you go for a simple but elegant look or decked out with all of the latest binged out gizmos? The former might meet with better success given the budget.

These are things that only you can decide upon, beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say.

You have a daunting task ahead of you, and in the end, you are left alone...

mtbr member
    So far i like frames from Capitol Bicycles, Twenty 2 Cycles, 38 Frameworks and maybe 907 190mm.

I am working on a parts list and will post with what i come up with.
    Seeing you are from Chicago, did you check out Quiring and 616? You are within driving distance of those companies. Quiring pretty much does custom sizing standard (I have a 29r from him, would have bought a fatbike from him if I knew he had changed his mind about not building them)

mtbr member
    Even if i won't like fat bike riding i still want to have one, just to show off. So it's gotta be nice...
    Any fatbike will do. No need even for a fancy paint job.

Just fit the fattest nobbliest tyres (currently Bud and Lou) and cover it with designer mud - available from your local RangeRover showroom.

Your friends will gasp in awe....
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Design Logic Bikes, all custom, made in the USA, nuff said

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    Fatbikes are for riding, and having fun on, not posing,
    They get scraped, dents, scratched - its an offroad bicycle,

Joe public who does not read up on fatbikes will not tell the differance between any make of fatbike, all they do is stare at the tyres

If you wanna show off learn to wheelie

You can ride the dirtiest old fatbike and will look more cool if you can wheelie or ride the wheels off it than sitting posing on a blinged out clean bike in town,
    Folk around here would just shake there heads and laugh at you posing on one

Dudes you can laugh all you want if that's your thing. As far as doing wheelies, i can do'em in my sleep, throw me anything with wheels and will wheelie it, I come from the stunt world, i did have a major accident and that's why i decided to stop also i have a 5 year old daughter and would like to see her grow up.

Now why is it not so cool to have a bike just because i want to have one. I did not say i want to pose with the bike i just want to have one. People have signed jerseys by NFL and NHL players but if you ask me i would not know who the players are because i don't care about those two sports, but on the other hand what does that make the owners of the jerseys "posers".

I came here to this forum not because i am a badass bike rider but because i wanted some good advice on good quality frame builders and parts that go into a fat bike, that's all, you don't have to jump on me and say all kinds of things, it's not necessary.

Anyways i did get some pretty good replies here so i am glad somebody is there to help.

Titanium junkie
    Whatever you do to a PUG would still be a PUG. When i say different i mean custom built frame from somebody that is not selling to the public, from a shop that not everybody knows, that"s why i mentioned Capitol Bicycles Company - how many of you know about this guy, but he is making pretty damn good frames. I had a chance to talk to a person that already owns one and he says that this custom bike is different in every aspect than a production bike like salsa or surly. From light frame to a carbon fork to different geometry that handles better etc, It is different. I dont really know how to explain it. Even if i won;t ride this bike i still want to have a masterpiece from somebody that will hand make this frame. I am talking quality, USA hand made frame, that i want to be proud of. Yes i will ride this bike, maybe not like some of you guys but still i will ride it but when i am done riding i want to clean it and put it on display in my garage so friends and people will be able to see it and talk about it.
    Trying not to take offense, but the Pug was a game changer, and
    still performs it's purpose perfectly.
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    Trying not to take offense, but the Pug was a game changer, and
    still performs it's purpose perfectly.
    I did not say PUG was a bad bike or anything like that, i would own one and be proud of it, but i really want something that is handmade that is not production.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    You are a little all over the map on stating what you are looking for and why, so that might be where some of the difficulty is coming from.

Want something that is USA made, from products in the USA, something different than anyone else? Something of high quality?

Something that I believe is more rare than hen's teeth, as rare as a hen's eye tooth perhaps? Something that when you 'drag the gut' with it people will truly be seeing a true Unidentified Fat Object?

In other words, do you want something that draws the eye past the fat tires, and into the bike itself?

For your consideration check out Renovo Bicycles. And for the finishing touch, the fenders posted about earlier, or MK Fenders, if memory serves, also makes much the same.

mtbr member
    This is a kind of a bike i want, and don't tell me that this bike draws attention only to the tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which fat bike should i buy?-vibe.jpg  

mtbr member
    Seriously, stop feeding this troll.

He's just looking for a fight.

mtbr member
    The only problem i had was that i had a budget in mind of $3K and that's why i asked here if it is possible to have bike similar to this. Since i started learning about fat bikes i can see now that the budget i had in mind will not be enough.

mtbr member
    Dude don't be jealous of me now. Who am i fighting with?

Got To Go Now, Peace Out Until Next Time

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    You show 20 posts...everyone on this thread...getting hard to overlook what is becoming obvious. Be seen as helping yourself out if that is not the case.

mtbr member
    This is a kind of a bike i want, and don't tell me that this bike draws attention only to the tires.
    I think you may be in the wrong forum.

That looks like an urban cruiser to me, and from what you're saying that sounds more like what you are looking for.

Try UndergroundVelo where the bike is seen as an aesthetic object in its own right whereas here it's largely viewed as a tool to do a job.

You may even recognise some of the usernames.

Titanium junkie
    Sssshhhh, is he gone? Wow, don't know what that was, but from
    my end, it was starting to get ugly......
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    His green light is still on, meaning that he remains signed in.

Perhaps VB has hit the mark for him, in which case I for one would like to view his result when and if.

If he is now pointed in the right direction, he can check out the work done by Bighit for better assistance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I think you may be in the wrong forum.

That looks like an urban cruiser to me, and from what you're saying that sounds more like what you are looking for.

Try UndergroundVelo where the bike is seen as an aesthetic object in its own right whereas here it's largely viewed as a tool to do a job.

You may even recognise some of the usernames.
    I really don't get you guys, seriously, the bike i posted few threads ago is a bike that was featured in this link that some of you provided and was probably voted the best fatty at the show The Fat Side of NAHBS 2013 | FAT-BIKE.COM

I really don't know what else to say.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I really don't get you guys, seriously, the bike i posted few threads ago is a bike that was featured in this link that some of you provided and was probably voted the best fatty at the show The Fat Side of NAHBS 2013 | FAT-BIKE.COM

Not knowing when you 'discovered' that VIBE example of a fat bike, if it was early on...ok...your post count and all. If early on, it may have been helpful to at least to have described where and what so we could do a little helpful digging, as it was it became a ping pong game.

And yes, to copy something like that...more $$$$

At least we are beginning to narrow it down. Thank you.

Edit: That VIBE example, while a looker for sure, would get knocked for lack of standover by many, and thus seen as an impractical design.

mtbr member

I don't know who voted for it, so I can't comment on that. If the likes of mikesee, coastkid, or druidh said it's a good fatbike, I'd believe them, but in the meantime, I'll make my own assessment.

It's posed in an urban environment with a graffitti background and it is very obviously all about form rather than function, eg higher than necessary standover* for stylistic reasons.

It's got no known credentials as a fatbike in use, so until it does, it's just another pretty toy aimed at the velonichistas, an urban SUV for posturing with compared to the Unimogs which are for getting muddy.

Seriously, go to the forum I suggested and look at the bikes there. There's lots of really interesting custom stuff.

*standover is very important on a fatbike.

mtbr member
    I don't know who voted for it, so I can't comment on that. If the likes of mikesee, coastkid, or druidh said it's a good fatbike, I'd believe them, but in the meantime, I'll make my own assessment.

It's posed in an urban environment with a graffitti background and it is very obviously all about form rather than function, eg higher than necessary standover* for stylistic reasons.

It's got no known credentials as a fatbike in use, so until it does, it's just another pretty toy aimed at the velonichistas, an urban SUV for posturing with compared to the Unimogs which are for getting muddy.

Seriously, go to the forum I suggested and look at the bikes there. There's lots of really interesting custom stuff.

*standover is very important on a fatbike.
    That's why you guys are here for help and advice, at least now we are going in a positive direction. Ok so far we know what color/style i like but the frame is not that good for a standover fat bike which brings me to another question which frame then. From what i can tell VIBE makes other fat bike frames as well so maybe some of them will work good like the aluminum one they offer. Also i will mention again Capitol Bicycles Company - is this going to be a better frame than Vibe frame.

This are the things i want to sort out, i know i can go to walmart and buy the mongoose or whatever its called for $300 and be done with it but that's just not me.
    So since i really want to get a frame from a custom builder i want to pick the right one. There must be a difference in quality between the builders, there could be a frame builder that sells a frame for $800 to be a way better frame than the one that sells a frame for $2000.

mtbr member
    Well if you want something that you're not likely to see elsewhere and yet truly capable of riding anywhere, take a look at the Muru Finke. Put the Ti fork on it, custom paint it, and you'll have something very unusual.

Titanium junkie
    I will put up an apology for getting crappy, but to the OP, you have to understand
    that we RIDE our bikes allot, and put them through stuff that indicates form follows
    function. I think everyone here has given as much info for you to start your search.
    There are allot of quality builders in the States as well as outside the U.S. so it
    is hard to say how "rare" a frame can be. If you are not set on an American frame,
    look up Triton bikes on the Frame forum. Or scroll through the Fat bike picture thread
    and see if there is something you like.
    Good luck.
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Glad to see that this is turning around for you.

IMO price is not a good measure of quality. Method of construction, design, and type of material all play into cost. As for tig welded being better in quality of construction than filet brazed, can't say that there is any to get worked up about. But the difference in labor with filet brazed does add to the cost, lugged frames, more so.

Smaller shops as a rule do not have the means to acquire machinery that larger shops may have invested in, this may be important to you.

As with anything, everything you can do to reduce the builders workload adds to your savings. Take your time to know what you want and why; as time progresses, don't be surprised if what you end up with is different from what you started with.

As I understand you, this is all new for you, saw something you liked, apparently have a workable means to go after it, so it is hell bent for leather, and you come across wide eyed.

In other words; kill the bike lust!

The result will be a lasting pleasure to ride, to show, and to own.

Lastly; when all is said and done, don't give a damn about what others may say in detraction about your well researched out result, it is your bike after all, first and foremost you built it for you.

Good hunting!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Let me try and clear a few things up for you OP.

The biggest problem you're going to have is that you don't have an idea of what you want/need in a fatbike frame. You're going to walk into a shop and say "I'm this tall, weigh this much and want my bike to look like this". That's basically the extent of your education. With your lack of experience you don't know whether a steel bike or a titanium bike is going to best suit your needs. What geometry is going to work best for how/where/why you ride. What this means is that the end product may not be exactly what you had hoped for and in the end may be of lesser functioning quality than these "production" bikes you seem so hesitant to look at. There's a reason Surly and Salsa are the two you see at your LBS and that reason is they know WTF they're doing.

You also need to be educated a little on economics. Just because a mass produced frame is 5x cheaper than a custom frame does not inherently mean it is of lesser quality. Like someone had posted earlier, a very well established bike company has the means to produce the same product at a much lower cost. So when you walk into a custom frame builder with very little to tell him he very well may build you a Pug or Mukluk and charge you $2k for a steel frame alone because he "built it in the USA with his hands". Also, where is this custom frame builder going to be next summer when your welds start cracking? These "production" bikes usually have warranties and names to back them up.

This is just me thinking here but... I think I read somewhere that you're in Chicago? How many fatbikes do you see wandering their way down the busy streets of the city? I'd dare say it's not many if not damn near zero.

I ride my bike. A lot. And I go on an occasional stomp with a group of fat bikes. It doesn't matter where we go if there is another human their eyes are locked on to those bikes. They don't have the slightest clue what they are let alone the make/model. The uneducated spectator will always be interested to what you have no matter the frame you choose because whether it is a production bike or not it is still very rare and on the other hand even an avid fatbike rider will appreciate the machine you choose whether it be "production" or not because the fat tires are a lifestyle and not a fashion statement. If anything they'd mock you for riding some dumb ass custom made bike that you don't have the slightest idea how to handle while their girlfriend on their Pug leaves you in the mud.

I came here to research what frame would best suit me as well and you've wasted much of my time. Thanks OP

mtbr member
    Your time is not wasted but much appreciated. Thank You very much for explaining things. I sure need to do some more research of what i really want and maybe just go different route for now. You said it right a custom builder could very much build me a pug frame and i won't be able to tell a difference.

I guess i gotta let this idea go for awhile and come back to it fresh and think things thru.

I may as well just buy me a used mukluk or pug and start from there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Can't go wrong with that course of action. Once you know what you like and don't like you can express that to your custom builder.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Your time is not wasted but much appreciated. Thank You very much for explaining things. I sure need to do some more research of what i really want and maybe just go different route for now. You said it right a custom builder could very much build me a pug frame and i won't be able to tell a difference.

I guess i gotta let this idea go for awhile and come back to it fresh and think things thru.

I may as well just buy me a used mukluk or pug and start from there.
    I'm sorry I got snappy but it seemed necessary. If I were you I'd buy something like a tried and true Pug or Mukluk or a Fatback or 9zero7 for sake of rarity and get yourself some stickers made for your business and a custom paint job done. You'll have a bike that works well, is reliable and for your sake "custom". It'll look cool as shit (in your eyes) and you'll be able to stomp it when and where you so choose.

Getting a custom frame built is a very personal process that should only be done when you know yourself and riding style very well. At this point it would be a giant waste of your time and money for reasons I pointed out earlier.

I hope you find what you're looking for and at the end of the day are happy with whatever you decide. Just be smart about it.

BTW you'll attract all kinds of babes bombing down the beaches in Chicago on your chrome plated fatbike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whoismestas View Post
    BTW you'll attract all kinds of babes bombing down the beaches in Chicago on your chrome plated fatbike
    This comment I like very much. LOL

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Tomi...after a gander at your profile page...yer on yer own...as I find myself at a loss as to how to tie everything together where you come out on top.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    Tomi...after a gander at your profile page...yer on yer own...as I find myself at a loss as to how to tie everything together where you come out on top.
    I am at a loss by your comment as well, i have no idea what you are saying

mtbr member
    Sounds like you should get your frame made by Imadouche Posuer- all carbon with 7" tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizzard75 View Post
    Sounds like you should get your frame made by Imadouche Posuer- all carbon with 7" tires.
    Here we go again getting those strong comments by tough guys. Don't scare me away now.

mtbr member
    Seriously, stop feeding the troll.

turtles make me hot
    Ok... I did not read the entire thread, so if someone else suggested this, then sorry.

Wait a month til the new 9 Zero 7 190mm frames come out. Get that and later on, get a second set of hubs and a set of rims and tires for a Surly Krampus. This way, you'll have a bike that can pretty much do it all.
    The Fatback 190mm frames will probably handle the 29+ as well.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Seriously, stop feeding the troll.
    Dude my 5 year old would not post something like this, if you stop posting sh!t like this all would be fine. I don't need your replies anyways. Go have a hot tea on me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Ok... I did not read the entire thread, so if someone else suggested this, then sorry.

Wait a month til the new 9 Zero 7 190mm frames come out. Get that and later on, get a second set of hubs and a set of rims and tires for a Surly Krampus. This way, you'll have a bike that can pretty much do it all.
    The Fatback 190mm frames will probably handle the 29+ as well.
    Finally we have some good reply. Yes i am very interested in purchasing this frame. I have been going back and forth between 9zero7 and a fatback frame.

The one i am probably going to buy is Susitna Medium Raw so i can send it out for a custom paint job.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Finally we have some good reply. Yes i am very interested in purchasing this frame. I have been going back and forth between 9zero7 and a fatback frame.

The one i am probably going to buy is Susitna Medium Raw so i can send it out for a custom paint job.

That's funny, after all the talk about buying a quality made in USA frame and you narrow it down to two and pick the one made in Asia.

mtbr member
    It's not my fault, thanks to all of you that made me change my mind. Insted of one hard working american to get my business now an asian will get it. You all made it possible. Thanks again and don't put the blame on me. I came here seeking an advice but almost all of you jumped on me of how i should not spend my hard earned money here in the USA. I am done here i won't bother you any more.

And don't try to be a smartass

mtbr member
    Obviously you want a sweet looking bike that is unique to your wants and looking at a fat bike fits part of that equation. The other part is making it "yours" and that's where you are struggling.

You can make your fat bike "yours" by doing your own thing with it. The tires are the first thing people are going to see and then the frame..unless you make it some loud blaring orange color that hurts your eyes. Don't like the color, get it powder coated in something you like and move on.

Get custom colored rims. Experiment with rim tape. Some of these guys have done some incredible custom work on their bikes just with the rims alone. I'm sure there's a thread here about custom work done.

If all you want is a fat bike to have one, so be it. That's your choice and I won't knock you for it. Just having one will set you apart from the crowd though. Get yourself a fat bike, customize it (you have the money) and I promise it won't sit out in you living room looking all pretty because you'll be out riding it.

We want pics when you get it done.

mtbr member
    Maybe you should look at this End of an era--for me..

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by whoismestas View Post

You also need to be educated a little on economics. Just because a mass produced frame is 5x cheaper than a custom frame does not inherently mean it is of lesser quality. Like someone had posted earlier, a very well established bike company has the means to produce the same product at a much lower cost. So when you walk into a custom frame builder with very little to tell him he very well may build you a Pug or Mukluk and charge you $2k for a steel frame alone because he "built it in the USA with his hands". Also, where is this custom frame builder going to be next summer when your welds start cracking? These "production" bikes usually have warranties and names to back them up.

This is just me thinking here but... I think I read somewhere that you're in Chicago? How many fatbikes do you see wandering their way down the busy streets of the city? I'd dare say it's not many if not damn near zero.

I heard about this post a couple days ago. Possibly the most ignorant comment ever to grace a forum. Quite an accomplishment. Congratulations.

First, there are plenty of fat bikes rolling around Chicago like just about everywhere else. There is a reason why almost every manufacturer is scrambling to produce them. Will it not be delightful when we're all not cornered in to spending $170 on a BFLL 4.7? Competition please!

Where is this frame builder going to be when your welds start to crack? Really? So a mass produced, cookie cutter frame made from low grade steel in some Chinese dump is good to go. But frames made from True Temper / Reynolds / Dedacciai or Columbus tubing right here in the US are going to crack?
    Well let me enlighten you. The finest bikes in the world come from this country. Weather it's Trek carbon, Moots titanium or plethora of other ridiculously high quality steel/ti/aluminum and carbon frame builders. Americans make the best bicycles in the world.
    Between my husband and I we have twelve bicycles in our home. Nine of them are American made. Every one of them is an absolute dream.

To the anxious tomi-iv. The most important thing here is that you get yourself on a fatty. Because it will make everyday you get to ride it so much more fun.
    Fatback and 9:zero:7 are both great. Salsa Mukluks are nice as well. Of course for anyone who didn't get a NAHBS's update there are dozens of American builders making them.
    Surly's are what they are. Someone referred to them as "tried and true" which is funny. Chris King headsets, Thomson seat posts, Louisville Slugger baseball bats... These things are tried and true. Surlys may be innovative, cool and super fun to ride but there is nothing tried and true about mass produced Chinese bikes that retail for over 2k with sporting goods store level cockpits. A shame considering QBP owns the brand.
    Capitol, I have recently started hearing about them also. Looks like you're in Chicago, I'm in the twin cites area and they look like they're out of Ohio. A pretty natural flow for a company. I called one of the dealers listed of their website and my curiosity was peaked by what they had to say. They will do custom frames begrudgingly and that's reflected in the cost and lead time. What they are doing is running production on four complete bicycles. Two aluminum, two steel. If this is true then it's pretty exciting. American manufacturing is exciting on all levels but it's so much better when it's bicycles. Swiped a picture off their Facebook page.Which fat bike should i buy?-fat.jpg
    Last edited by Jcost55347; 09-03-2013 at 06:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcost55347 View Post
    ...Americans make the best bicycles in the world...
    They don't.

There's plenty high quality frame builders and bike makers in USA, but not necessarily the best.

A few tasters from two other countries:

Just a couple. There's lots more, especially when you look at continental Europe, and there's nothing less skilful about Chinese or Taiwanese craftsmen.

NMBP
    I heard about this post a couple days ago. Possibly the most ignorant comment ever to grace a forum. Quite an accomplishment. Congratulations.
    Surlys may be innovative, cool and super fun to ride but there is nothing tried and true about mass produced Chinese bikes that retail for over 2k with sporting goods store level cockpits.
    Nice first post, but if you are going to accuse someone of being ignorant, check your facts. Taiwan does not equal China.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    They don't.

There's plenty high quality frame builders and bike makers in USA, but not necessarily the best.
    Yes. Indiscriminate use of superlatives is the worst mistake you can make on a web forum .

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    Nice first post, but if you are going to accuse someone of being ignorant, check your facts. Taiwan does not equal China.
    Where Surlys are made has nothing to do with the point I made. The only difference between Taiwan and China is slightly better QC over materials and regulations over manufacturing guarantees.

And craftsmen in Tiawan and China? Funny. The word itself is a complete contradiction of their business model. What they have is a bunch a women tucked behind a welding mask for 12 hours a day for peanuts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Listen!

They do.

And thanks for the pictures. Your point would have been better made by a picture of a Pinarello Dogma with Super Record eps. That brown frame is ugly.

NMBP
    Where Surlys are made has nothing to do with the point I made. The only difference between Taiwan and China is slightly better QC over materials and regulations over manufacturing guarantees.

And craftsmen in Tiawan and China? Funny. The word itself is a complete contradiction of their business model. What they have is a bunch a women tucked behind a welding mask for 12 hours a day for peanuts.
    Some of the best craftsmanship in the world comes from China and Taiwan. They also produce a lot of crap. But they produce a lot of everything, including the components in whatever device you are posting with.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    Some of the best craftsmanship in the world comes from China and Taiwan. They also produce a lot of crap. But they produce a lot of everything, including the components in whatever device you are posting with.
    You mean the computer or smart phones that I have to replace every year? The same devices that have some of the highest warranty and recall rates of any product in the world? Yes, that just has great craftsmanship written all over it.
    They have fantastic engineers, outstanding computer programmers and know how to set up automated production more efficiently than anywhere else in the world. Time consuming craftsmanship does not apply to these factories nor to the products they make. There is a reason why they are less expensive and so readily available.

mtbr member
    ...And craftsmen in Tiawan and China? Funny. The word itself is a complete contradiction of their business model. What they have is a bunch a women tucked behind a welding mask for 12 hours a day for peanuts.
    They give you exactly what your USA company has specified and done to the target price, which they set after working out what the USA consumer is willing to pay.

As for women with welding masks - it was the efforts of women in the engineering production lines that ensured the allies had a good supply of aircraft, vehicles and ships in WW2.

I smell misogyny and racism here. Can I suggest you check your calendar, you're in the wrong millenium.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    They give you exactly what your USA company has specified and done to the target price, which they set after working out what the USA consumer is willing to pay.

As for women with welding masks - it was the efforts of women in the engineering production lines that ensured the allies had a good supply of aircraft, vehicles and ships in WW2.

I smell misogyny and racism here. Can I suggest you check your calendar, you're in the wrong millennium.
    Perhaps not the former anyway? I presume there is a mother somewhere?

My mother-in-law was a ship welder during the war. As I recall, we won.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Wow. This may be the best/worst thread of all time. Even better/worse than the Walgoose threads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast