Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Which fat bike should i buy?

Let me introduce myself, my name is Tommy and last time i rode a bike was 20 years ago. I was more into sport motorcycles until i got hurt few year back. Since i don't want another motorcycle i decided to get into riding bicycles and the fat bike really caught my attention. Now since i am very new to this fat bike thing i really cannot decide which bike to buy, there is so many of them and also there are custom ones. I have around $3000 to spend and i need you professional advice as to what to get, i really want a custom bike with colors i want but if that is out of my price range i will settle for off the shelve one but i want a really good bike with good parts in it and good handling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    In the land of the fat, the 4.8s on hunjos is king.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    4.8 it is. But which brand, can $3000 buy a custom built bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    There are hundreds of options for fat bikes under $3000. Window shop the picture thread for your options.

/ thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi-iv View Post
    Let me introduce myself, my name is Tommy and last time i rode a bike was 20 years ago. I was more into sport motorcycles until i got hurt few year back. Since i don't want another motorcycle i decided to get into riding bicycles and the fat bike really caught my attention. Now since i am very new to this fat bike thing i really cannot decide which bike to buy, there is so many of them and also there are custom ones. I have around $3000 to spend and i need you professional advice as to what to get, i really want a custom bike with colors i want but if that is out of my price range i will settle for off the shelve one but i want a really good bike with good parts in it and good handling.
    I too come from the SBK world after injuries while amateur racing but it was a chapter in my life I would not trade for anything. 4.8's are not necessary since 3.8's can pretty much do the same sans heavy snow fall and if your plan is to trail / XC ride the 3.8's are a superior choice for such rides.
    Check the PM i sent.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Did you need custom frame for sizing, or just for color/styling.
    Either way, the Carver Ti options look good for the price range you mention. It would be a shame to paint the whole frame though, at least leave some bare ti.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The custom frame is more for looks, i have my own colors and to represent my business colors as well. Also by having custom frame i think the bike will ride better than stock frame (but that just my opinion)

How good is Carver Ti frame comparing to a 9:zero:7, surly, salsa.

Also i have a local shop in town that can build me one and the frame they are getting is from Capitol Bicycles, have anyone of you heard of this name and how good they are. they are from Ohio as far as i know

mtbr member
    @tomi-iv Maybe you could tell us about where you are going to be riding? Is it hilly/flat? Is it just for around town, on gravel, singletrack, on the beach, in the snow, mud etc. and a quick breakdown of how much time your going to spend on each. Otherwise advice is going to be a bit of a crapshoot.

mtbr member
    If you haven't ridden in 20 years a custom bike is a really, really bad idea. You don't know what you don't know at this point and you have no idea what you want, and if you ask us, you're going to end up with someone elses' dream bike, not your own.

Since yer new to fatbikes and all that, and since you've given no hint as to how you're gonna ride it, I'd suggest the humble surly pugsley. it's a great way to get into fatbikes.

it's insanely versatile, it's cheap, it's easy to re-sell if you 1: don't end up liking fatbikes (which can happen. Fatbiking can be insanely frustrating) 2:like fatbikes so much that you want something even better (which is where you will be if you really like it).

It's also the easiest/cheapest to upgrade- no low-production run hubs, just good ol' 135s.

Puglsey does not run the fattest tires, but honestly, 4" tires are pretty awesome and I can tell you that the difference in "float" between the giant tires and the super giant tires isn't that great if yer over 200 pounds.

Don't let 3k burn a hole in your pocket. Spend half that (or less if you find a used one) on a basic fatbike, ride the hell out of it this winter and discover what you really like and don't like. Then, armed with that info, buy a custom next year, sell the basic bike and get 75% of your money back. Can't lose.

Customs can be incredibly hard to sell and if you don't like it, you'll lose a butt-load of cash.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I will be riding this bike everywhere (trails, snow, flat, sand just about anywhere)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    If you haven't ridden in 20 years a custom bike is a really, really bad idea. You don't know what you don't know at this point and you have no idea what you want, and if you ask us, you're going to end up with someone elses' dream bike, not your own.
    +1 - buy a production fatbike. Ride it. See if you actually like it. If you do like it you'll be in a much better place to spec a custom bike after a season or two of riding.

You may find yourself completely happy with a production bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

get down!
    I would second the Pugsley option or wait until the new Specialized Fat Boy comes out. It will be around 2K and will be lighter and have big tires and rims.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    All i need from you guys is to tell me which frame and fork combo is good to go with, since there are so many. I know i can buy a production bike but even then there are more options for the price of the pugsley.

Is pugsley better than a mukluk or origin8 crawler etc.

mtbr member
    All i need from you guys is to tell me which frame and fork combo is good to go with, since there are so many. I know i can buy a production bike but even then there are more options for the price of the pugsley.

Go to your LBS and test ride. Then you'll know.

Seriously, it's all subjective. I think my pugsley is awesome because it's the bike I have. It's also the only one that I was able to test ride before buying.

You are overthinking this. It's just a bike and there is no wrong answer. AFAIK, other than the wall-goose, there's no such thing as a bad fat bike yet.

never summer

Is the Pugsley better than the Mukluk...well this akin to asking a guy riding a 1198s if its better than F4-RR. Usually it's an opinion with bias.

Take some time read some reviews of various bikes. Browse the picture threads and build threads. Decide what frame material you want. Then narrow your options.

If you want a suggestion of where to start with just a frameset then okay...but your own physical ergonomics should help you pick a bike.

Classic do it all: Pugsley or Moonlander
    Current High End: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, 9:Zero:7 Carbon, Mukluk Ti

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The problem is nobody carries anything else than a pugsley or mukluk around chicago to test ride. That's what the problem is. Every store that i went to tried to sell what they have in stock, and also there was one store that went so far as to sell me a used bike as new. Maybe that's why i am overthinking.

mtbr member
    The problem is nobody carries anything else than a pugsley or mukluk around chicago to test ride. That's what the problem is.
    In a lot of places having 2 varieties of fatbikes to test ride would be awesome - not a problem.

Both bikes are solid choices. Ride them and pick one. You will have a good bike in your garage.

If you like the Muk and feel like spending cash you can order up a Ti version.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

never summer

The problem is nobody carries anything else than a pugsley or mukluk around chicago to test ride. That's what the problem is. Every store that i went to tried to sell what they have in stock, and also there was one store that went so far as to sell me a used bike as new. Maybe that's why i am overthinking.
    Hit up your local sub-forum and see if there are any fatbike owners in your area who might let you test ride.

Like Vik said either one of those choices are great bikes. If you decide to upgrade you won't have a problem selling the frame on eBay...or building a second bike. Bikes are like motorcycles 1 is all you need but you'll want more...want a 2 stoke just cause, want a sbk, and maybe a BMW GS for that commute or trip from Alaska to tip of South America.

mtbr member
    Come up to Madison, Wi! 2 hour drive will do you some good. Erik's has pugsleys, I'm guessing that since Willy bikes went away, someone in town will pick up salsa...

Here's something kinda cool.

There's a little bike shop in Cambridge, WI that rents fatbikes by the hour- they've got pugsleys last time I checked. CamRockSport.com | Fresh Air, Dirty Trails, Cool Water, Tasty Food and Brew

Drive up to cambridge, it's like 2.5 hours from chicago. It's a cute little town. Rent a fatbike and ride the cam-rock trail system- it's an amazing collection of trails that manage to be both easy and challenging- they're the prefect beginner trails.

If you'd like, I'll even meet you there and ride with you as long as you buy me a sandwich.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    But if i go surly or salsa i can't have my own colors, i have to buy what they sell. At least i want custom paint if nothing else

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Come up to Madison, Wi! 2 hour drive will do you some good. Erik's has pugsleys, I'm guessing that since Willy bikes went away, someone in town will pick up salsa...

Here's something kinda cool.

There's a little bike shop in Cambridge, WI that rents fatbikes by the hour- they've got pugsleys last time I checked. CamRockSport.com | Fresh Air, Dirty Trails, Cool Water, Tasty Food and Brew

Drive up to cambridge, it's like 2.5 hours from chicago. It's a cute little town. Rent a fatbike and ride the cam-rock trail system- it's an amazing collection of trails that manage to be both easy and challenging- they're the prefect beginner trails.

If you'd like, I'll even meet you there and ride with you as long as you buy me a sandwich.
    I was thinking after the sandwich to split a twix also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Powdercoating a new color is about $100, don't let colors stop you. Surly even sells replacement decals.

Ride a Pugsley. If it doesn't put a smile on your face, then fat biking is not for you.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    But if i go surly or salsa i can't have my own colors, i have to buy what they sell. At least i want custom paint if nothing else
    Here you go- custom powder coating, janesville. Guessing there's something in chicago, despite it's tiny size and total lack of bike related services.

COONER INTERGALACTIC

You asked for advice, don't get pissy if it's not what you wanted to hear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Even if i won't like fat bike riding i still want to have one, just to show off. So it's gotta be nice. Like i said i have $3K to burn so i might as well buy something better than a production bike. So this being said what can i get for $3K.

mtbr member

Stock frame, custom parts kit. I went with a solid build, but not the very high-end stuff. I'm probably in for close to $4k. However, I went the LBS route. You could get it closer to 3k with internet-shopping and slightly cheaper parts.

I love this bike.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast