mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Fat Bike Research

Hey guys,
    I'm a high school senior from Vermont doing research on the growth of the fat bike market and I have some questions that I'm hoping you could help me out with:

Is the use of fat bikes increasing?
    How many fat bikes are being sold?
    Are more companies getting involved in this market?

I am looking for actual sources and websites where I can find data to support my answers. That being said, ANY leads would be helpful.

Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    nbda.com has some info for free, but charges for the detailed reports. You could contact them and explain that you're doing it for educational purposes. Maybe they'll help you out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I recently attended a workshop regarding fatbike trail grooming; there were some figures posted in a presentation
    One copy here: http://mountainbikegeezer.com/wp-con...ion-by-QBP.pdf

QBP bike products in Minnesota has made some bank on the fatbike craze, almost by accident; their whole-goods bicycle divisions mostly cater to niche markets, but I think they are positioning themselves to be an industry leader in accesories, clothes, tires, etc. with the 45Nrth brand. Contact them: I'm sure they have done more than their fair share of market research. I'm a little afraid of sharing contact info with the world, but get started here: Quality Bicycle Products: Bikes, Wholesale Bicycle Parts, Wholesale Bicycle distribution.

There is some material to found on IMBA's site, but you need to be a member to access it, and even then the good stuff is hard to find. Search bicycle advocacy for more sites to slog through than you ever knew existed.

IMO, yes the fat-bike thing is exploding in the northern-tier states, and enjoys some "traction" elsewhere. It remains to be seen if it is robbing sales from existing bike markets, or adding sales; one new marketing scheme seems to be to go after the all-sport types that are looking for a new winter activities, as well as adding fleets at a few forward-thinking winter resort operations: downhill in the morning, X-C afternoon, and a night fat-ride before wine and a hot tub. Give the customer an even richer winter experience...

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    No doubt about it that fat bikes will be taking sales revenue from the regular bike market, the question is how much. Enough to make manufacturers all come out with fat bikes to reclaim that profit share shift, or an negligible amount, so as to be able to carry on and not adapt/evolve with the changing market?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    For some data call the bike shops and ask how many fat bikes were sold in each of the last 3 three years. The local ones were selling them as fast as they could get them in and had a bunch waiting on Trek, Specialized and Borealis fatties who were late season deliveries.

Moderator Moderator
    Hi from Barre, I'd do some scanning/reading here...
    Search | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News