mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Fat bike rear thru axle problem Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Looking for options here. Rocky has a thru axle with what I believe is a 197MM x 12MM with 1.75 pitch thread that goes into the rear hanger. Many of us just can't prevent these from loosening up. Tried a little Blue Loctite which can really bind things up need to be careful with this. Tried cleaning male and female threads with degreaser and used a little grease to be a tight fit still loosens. Any ideas? Can't even find a decent replacement axle with that length and 1.75 pitch thread.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Loosen up? What, the whole axle rotates out?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Backs up 2 to 3 turns then you notice because shifting problems develop. I didn't want to compound the question here but yesterday I also broke 2 bearings in my Fatsno freehub body. I have seen this before when there is lack of support for the hub. I don't think it helps that these axles just loosen up. Was at my local dealer getting parts yesterday for my hub and they are a real strong shop don't have a solution either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Loctite 243

My father has always used wood glue on the machine screws that hold a scope in a scope mount on a rifle...he swears by it...not sure if wood glue would be enough vibration resistance though for a bicycle.

mtbr member
    Robert Axle Project | 12mm Thru Axle Adapter for Bike Trailers | Robert Axle Project

I got one of these without the trailer adapter. I never had an issue with the stock thru axle loosening, but it was difficult to tighten properly

mtbr member
    If the quick-release is tightened properly it should not work loose. Locking it in place is tackling the symptom, but not the cause. You need to find out what is wrong and fix it, not just lock the QR in place.

If many owners are experiencing the same problem it sounds like either a design fault or faulty parts. Got onto the manufacturer and explain the issue, making sure they know that a lot of people are effected and the matter is being talked about on the internet! They may well be aware of it and offer a solution.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Did you tighten the little hex bolt under the quick release lever?

mtbr member
    We've seen this issue with a few other brands as well. With a variety of suppliers, slight differences in tolerances can cause these issues.

Loctite is a pretty good idea, but I've had better luck with loose bolts using blue Silicone RTV sealant (avail at auto part stores). The advantage to using the sealant instead of Loctite is that it remains soft and pliable and prevents the bolt (in your case, thru-axle) from rattling loose. It is also easy to remove the bolt, if you need to repair a flat, and the sealant will be just as effective when you reinstall the bolt. With Loctite you get a more brittle adhesion which tough to break loose when you need it, especially on large 12mm bolts.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangie View Post
    Did you tighten the little hex bolt under the quick release lever?
    ^^^This was the problem on my 2011 Stumpjumper when I bought the bike. Definitely check this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Yes I did tighten that bolt. I wound up taking the clamp apart today, cleaning, and greased the internals. There is a conical shaped spring inside the clamp like you see on a skewer. I am going to see if I can get a stiffer spring.

Doesn't go too far enough
    Aug 2013
    I would sit down with the axle and explain that everyone on MTBR knows that it is the best type of wheel fastening device out there, and that it needs to buckle down and do it's job right. In a firm but friendly voice remind it you do NOT want to have to go back to QR.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Too funny. LOL

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Mine has been giving me the same problem regardless of how tightly I rotate it or how tight I make the cam by adjusting the Allen bolt.

This just seems like a poor design to me in that the cam has a tendency to loosen when you rotate the lever in the open position, which you need to do to position it properly so that you to get your fingers behind it once closed. By comparison the cam on Rockshox's Maxle doesn't loosen when you rotate the lever.

Has anyone found a suitable after market replacement?

mtbr member
    I'll chime back in on this old thread that we've contributed to in the past. We're offering our Thunder Bolt-on Axles for the Rocky's and other fat bikes. We hold our tolerances to a tighter (pun intended) standard. Our customers have not had issues with these loosening during riding.

Link.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    As the original poster on this thread I have had very good success with the following:

1) Clean the 12 mm threads of your Rocky Mountain quick release axle and the thread mating area in the hanger (opposite side which you thread into.) Clean using IPA and a Q-tip or small brush.

2) Grease you contact points wheel to hanger, wheel to frame, etc. so you don't get creaking.

3) Grease you axle lightly except for the 12 mm threaded area

4) Wrap the 12 mm threaded area with Teflon tape.

5) Insert the axle but don't thread into the hanger

6) Carefully put a couple of drops Loctite 242 (blue) or 243 on a Qtip and wipe into the hanger 12 mm female threaded area.

7) Screw the axle in as you would normally being careful to make sure you fully secure before turning lever on the quick release.

I would try this before spending $57 on a new axle might save yourself some money. Has worked for 2 years for me. If you are finding your axle is loosening my experience is you can do hub damage be careful!

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Thanks for all the comments. I have to say I've developed a bit of a hate on for thru axles after I had the rear Maxle break on my Niner Rip 9 last season. Converted the Hope hub to use bolt on and have never had it come loose since. Prior to that it would come loose every couple of rides, which may have contributed to its ultimate failure.