mtbr member

Fat Bike racing: Future Winter Olympic Sport?

Or would that just ruin it? Committees and governing bodies usually manage to suck the fun out of things, but it might attract more fat bikers and product investment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    They have rhythmic gymnastics, everything and anything else would be better.

turtles make me hot
    I dig curling. I'd totally be down for fat bike racing also.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I'd watch fixed wheel bikes on a flat unbanked ice velodrome (with studs of course).

I'd hate to see fatbikes get an event because that would stop fatbike development right there.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Yay! The development of fatabike Nazis...

I seriously doubt it would affect fatbike innovation, since the roots of fatbiking are new enough. Innovators will do what they do with or without the olympic committee and the best part is the fact that they can smoke a hooter while they design the next groovy new fatbike feature!

How many years did it take to get BMX into the olympics? Or, shall I ask, how many decades...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I'd watch fixed wheel bikes on a flat unbanked ice velodrome (with studs of course).

I'd hate to see fatbikes get an event because that would stop fatbike development right there.
    Olympic XC racing certainly hasn't stalled the development of those bikes, so I'm not sure that's true.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Olympic XC racing certainly hasn't stalled the development of those bikes, so I'm not sure that's true...
    Really? Have you ever looked at the restrictions?

All we are seeing is innovative tweaking round the edge of the rules.

To be fair the problem is mainly the UCI not the Olympic committees.

If we want to see innovation then the only rule should be 2 wheels and human powered.

mtbr member
    Maybe if it was like the biathlon. Otherwise, It will be just like all the other boring unwatchable events in the Olympics

passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    Maybe if it was like the biathlon. Otherwise, It will be just like all the other boring unwatchable events in the Olympics
    or 4 Fatbikes going down a run much like they do with ski/snowboard (skicross I think its called), bit a push and shove to liven things up a bit
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    This just crossed my mind yesterday after I saw a ad for about the 10th Brewery/Small Town sponsored fat bike race this winter near me. I think there might more fat bike races than there are fat bike riders.

I know there's at least a few of these that are basically fat biking on a solid groomed surface up and down the hills of golf courses etc. NO THANKS.

Put it in the woods with some real world terrain and obstacles and I might watch.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

Ambassador of Chub
    Only if it involves fire, beer and the resurrection of Lemmy.

Otherwise, I see no point.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Only if it involves fire, beer and the resurrection of Lemmy.

Otherwise, I see no point.
    Hey, ya think we can get Gomez to rep us?
    Doctor recommended...

Formerly of Kent
    Really? Have you ever looked at the restrictions?

All we are seeing is innovative tweaking round the edge of the rules.

To be fair the problem is mainly the UCI not the Olympic committees.

If we want to see innovation then the only rule should be 2 wheels and human powered.
    -The wheels have to be the same size.

-No tri-bars

-Bar ends ok.

-No metal spikes of screws.

That's it. Those are the limitations on MTB design for XC racing as per the UCI.

Death from Below.

mtbr member

-No tri-bars

-Bar ends ok.

That's it. Those are the limitations on MTB design for XC racing as per the UCI.
    Thanks. That's better than I thought for mtb.

Just one thing though - no spikes? half the fun removed.

And I want Smithhammer to organise the races. He seems to have a firm grasp of the essentials...

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Hey, ya think we can get Gomez to rep us?

And I want Smithhammer to organise the races. He seems to have a firm grasp of the essentials...
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    Really. Not a curling fan? ( jk) Love all the ski and action stuff.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    It will have to be sanctioned by the UCI and IOC, that alone will take the fun away.

Love to watch curling, specially the guys working the sweepers even thou have no understanding of it.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    It will have to be sanctioned by the UCI and IOC, that alone will take the fun away.

Love to watch curling, specially the guys working the sweepers even thou have no understanding of it.
    They can kiss off cause were gonna bong out before the race!
    Doctor recommended...

Your bike sucks

-No tri-bars

-Bar ends ok.

Largely true. UCI is not very heavy handed on XC mtn biking; most their influence is on the events and course composition.

However, road cycling - yeah - take a look: Equipment

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Is fatbiking even popular enough to warrant the Olympics? Cyclocross, infinitely more popular, is not in the Olympics. I'd think a first step would be to add fatbiking as a category in collegiate cycling. That would drive the competitive aspect more. Most fatbike racers are still fairly informal, "fun" affairs, where bacon, beer and shovel sledding is more of the appeal then "winning"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by 101 View Post
    Is fatbiking even popular enough to warrant the Olympics? Cyclocross, infinitely more popular, is not in the Olympics. I'd think a first step would be to add fatbiking as a category in collegiate cycling. That would drive the competitive aspect more. Most fatbike racers are still fairly informal, "fun" affairs, where bacon, beer and shovel sledding is more of the appeal then "winning"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed.

Although, who would supply the frites mit mayo in Korea?

Death from Below.

mtbr member

I have a buddy that does this with family once a year in WI tourney. Wondered the same thing and asked. The sweepers create some heat via vigorous sweeping creating a slight water layer on the ice reducing friction to keep the stone/rock moving. You are not allowed to try and direct the stone, but can sweep to help it keep momentum for greater distance... or something like that.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just like almost every other Olympic sport, fat biking would be dominated with pro's and would ruin the spirit of the games. At least they aren't allowing current NHL players on teams this year.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Just like almost every other Olympic sport, fat biking would be dominated with pro's and would ruin the spirit of the games. At least they aren't allowing current NHL players on teams this year.
    Why wouldn't you want to see athletics executed at the highest level? In the sense that Olympic athletes are provided for and given a stipend while they train (modest as it may be), their function in life for that duration is the same as a professional athlete in that their entire life is dedicated to athletic function: eat, sleep, train. In that sense, whether an athlete makes a $16,000 annual stipend or has a 16 million dollar contract, I don't see much of a difference there in terms of "spirit" of the games. The only distinction between professional winter sports athletes in the Olympics and non professional athletes is the popularity of the sport itself. Freestyle Snowboarding will attract big names with huge sponsors because snowboarding is very popular and very profitable, but there is no equivalent to Shaun White in some of the less popular winter sports. All things being equal, snowboarding "stars" are roughly equivalent to NHL hockey players and, in that sense, having star-studded teams and competitors makes the Olympic sports infinitely more popular, mainstream and increases the competition for spots on the Olympic team due to that popularity.

I suppose you could argue that the "spirit" of the games would imply that it's unfair for an American basketball team fielding nothing but NBA stars to be grossly unfair to any other country. Though, you could make the same argument about African countries and distance running. I'm not sure if there is a rational argument to be found there.

Are there really even pro fatbikers or fatbike "stars"? Presumably, the hypothetical Olympic fatbiking team would be cyclists who didn't quite make one of the other cycling disciplines and were converted and Ned Overend would most certainly be the coach of this hypothetical team.

On a side note, I don't think "fatbiking" would cut it for the Olympics. The category would certainly be called "Nordic Cycling" and the competition itself completely devoid of personality or entertainment -just another event that nobody would be watching at 4 am.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You bring up some good points, but if I want to watch the very best in any sport, there are professional leagues for everything. The addition of the U.S. "Dream Team" in Men's basketball really started the downward slide of what the Olympics are supposed to be. No doubt that other nations have bent or broken the rules, but we are (or should be) better than that. Amatuer status should be now and always be a determining factor for any Olympic team member.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    -The wheels have to be the same size...

Yesterday, as I was trying to weave my fatbike uphill on deepish snow with lumpy bits, I considered if a larger diameter wheel on the front would be better (had a trials motorbikes).

Then I remembered 69ers.

I built a 69er and always felt it needed a considerably fatter rear tyre to balance the feel. (Fatter tyres weren't available back then and the frames wouldn't have fitted them anyway).

Did that UCI rule kill them off and prevent evolution of differently sized wheels, or were they just a dead-end anyway?

Sounds like an idea for a few experiments.

turtles make me hot
    Yesterday, as I was trying to weave my fatbike uphill on deepish snow with lumpy bits, I considered if a larger diameter wheel on the front would be better (had a trials motorbikes).

Then I remembered 69ers.

I built a 69er and always felt it needed a considerably fatter rear tyre to balance the feel. (Fatter tyres weren't available back then and the frames wouldn't have fitted them anyway).

Did that UCI rule kill them off and prevent evolution of differently sized wheels, or were they just a dead-end anyway?

Sounds like an idea for a few experiments.
    I've ridden my bike a bunch with Bud on the front and a 29+ Chupacabra on the rear. Works great on trails. Didn't try it in snow.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I like to watch the Olympics because it does showcase some sports I don't normally watch all the time. I think they should pull all of the team only sports, and get back to the individual excellence that olympics championed in the beginning. Then there might be room for Nordic bike 4x!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Three letter problem - U, C and I as the other winter sports federations will not be wanting any other sports federations to join them. Besides, I'm not sure the UCI has enough funds to pay all those IOC officials to join the 'winter' club ;-)

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by dovebiker View Post
    Three letter problem - U, C and I as the other winter sports federations will not be wanting any other sports federations to join them. Besides, I'm not sure the UCI has enough funds to pay all those IOC officials to join the 'winter' club ;-)
    Huh?

You make it sound like the UCI would be opposed to a winter Olympic event.

I'm guessing that's the polar opposite of the truth.

But, again, it's far more likely to be CX.

Death from Below.

Moderator Moderator

I enjoyed watching curling at the last olympics, quite a bit of the womens competition actually. It's worth a look.

https://www.olympic.org/news/russian...in-the-curling

The number one rule for Olympic sport inclusion is how much money is involved and available for graft. Fatbiking will never make it.

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I've ridden my bike a bunch with Bud on the front and a 29+ Chupacabra on the rear. Works great on trails. Didn't try it in snow.
    I tried my ElGordo briefly with a 29+ on the front and a BFL on the rear. Dont really like either of those tires (except Knard for gravel, where its still overkill). It wasnt terrible, but I didnt see any great advantage. Next summer I'll try Bud and 29+ Bomboloni.