mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Fat Bike Purchase

Looking for Fat Bike info.
    I recently had reconstruction ankle surgery and have been told by my Dr. that i should give up trail running and just concentrate on my mountain biking. I live in northeast Ohio and we have some pretty snowy winters as well as some very nice mountain biking. I am looking to add a fat bike to my biking so i can continue to get out into the woods as a replacement for the trail running. The amount of information on fat bikes is insane. Not sure which direction to go. The one bike that has caught my attention is the Surly Krampus, but i am not sure if this bike will ride well in the snow and wet winter conditions. some solid advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Don't get the Krampus for snow. Get a dedicated fat bike. Lots of good options now from the budget models to the high end carbon fiber. Singletracks.com has a really good summary with different price levels.

Fat Bike Buyer's Guide: Budget Models | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog
    Fat Bike Buyer's Guide: Mid-Range Models | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog
    Fat Bike Buyer's Guide: High-End Models | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

mtbr member
    I was going to get a Specialized Fatboy but with them so hard to come by I ended up with a Salsa Beargrease. I've had it for a month & love it. My two cents would be to get a bike with decent tires right off the bat as new tires are not cheap. The Beargrease came with Dillingers. I've had no issues with them in the snow or on the ice. Beyond that, X7/X9 drive train has worked fine.

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

mtbr member
    Mukluks are easy to get. Have lot's of rack and cargo bag options. If I didn't already have my black 2011 Mukluk, I would be all over one of the 2014 red ones.

See ya,
    Rod

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i just bought a 2014 mukluk 3 and am loving it. they have an adjustable wheelbase to make them more versatile. long in snow and short for dry. my main bike is a trek superfly and i didn't have any issues getting on this bike and feeling comfortable. i've only ridden in the snow on it so far though, which by the way is a hoot! i obsessed for 2 weeks over what to buy, ended up getting the mukluk and though obsession would be over. wrong! now i obsess about going out to ride it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the great information and the links. Been obsessing as well over this. Never have done winter riding, usually on my snow board. This will a cool new adventure. Thanks again.