Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Fat Bike Inverted Forks Are Here!

They-re Here!

I've been waiting on these for months after hearing that a Taiwan manufacturer was planning to build them. They hooked up with Bikeman here in the USA as a distributor and now have them up on their web site.

I've considered a Lefty conversion but decided to hold out for the real-deal.

I've got a straight ordered for a Mukluk 2 and a tapered for a Beargrease.

More details coming as soon as I get-em mounted...

Bikeman Carver Bikes Trans-Fat Suspension Fat Bike Fork

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hate when that happens...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Day late and dollar short.

mtbr member
    Cheaper, lighter, better... Lefty IS the real deal! IMHO.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by mtuck1 View Post
    Lefty is Ugly, not lighter, cost can be about the same, offset wheel required. less travel, performance is great though! IMHO

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I dunno why offset wheel is such a bad thing since I've been beating the everliving crap out of offset Pugsleys for years now.

Ugly? I don't get it, the inverted Fork-Of-Many-Names isn't exactly a pinnacle of industrial design.

Anyways, I do dig the new fork, but I think in the end I'd still have gone with the Lefty, if only because I know I'll be able to get parts and service for years from Craig.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I seriously considered the Lefty... The set up requires use of the older movable clamp style Lefty (pre-2008), so a modern OPI upper, bonded clamp, or carbon, won't work. Craig Smith at Mendon certainly has it all worked out and there are a lot of conversions on the trail. Overall weight is about dead-nuts equal.

I looked at the german:A Flame USD ($$$ and heavy) and was concerned about support and decided to wait for what I knew was already being developed.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I dunno why offset wheel is such a bad thing since I've been beating the everliving crap out of offset Pugsleys for years now.

Ugly? I don't get it, the inverted Fork-Of-Many-Names isn't exactly a pinnacle of industrial design.
    There is nothing wrong with an offset but it has limitations. I am building a fatty around a set of trailtech 47mm rims which can't be done with a lefty and offset. I am not saying I'm a huge fan of this inverted fork either so I am going to hold off a while to see what other options come out....I know I ask for a lot

oh and trust me I thought hard about a lefty but just couldn't do it.

gone walk about
    negative on all counts.
    plus+, plus+ = win:

gone walk about

Anyways, I do dig the new fork, but I think in the end I'd still have gone with the Lefty, if only because I know I'll be able to get parts and service for years from Craig.
    yes fugly and yes the inverted fork is a highly successful design on many fronts.
    plus+, plus+ = win:

mtbr member
    I am very happy with the Lefty!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Bike Inverted Forks Are Here!-dscn1003.jpg  

gone walk about
    ouch it's hurting my eyes now lets focus on the REAL suss fork this thread was made for.
    plus+, plus+ = win:

mtbr member
    The new fork is nice but you ain't gonna stuff a Bud on a Clownshoe in there. For that Lefty is the only answer for now.

Titanium junkie
    I'm sticking with a Lefty.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Lets have a Lefty vs. Carver comparo before anyone even gets their hands on one.

......and go!!

mtbr member
    I'm sure the new fork is great. For me and any one else running a tire over 4" and a rim over 80 mm it wont work so it's not a choice to be had.

mtbr member
    Facts are facts. No battle there. If they made it to fit 5" tires on Clownshoes I would be looking too.

Titanium junkie
    Just don't see the point in spending 900.00 on an unproven fork,
    when I can spend 500.00 on something that most seem to be happy with.
    You're a Tailgunner

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    Facts are facts. No battle there. If they made it to fit 5" tires on Clownshoes I would be looking too.
    the fact is not everybody wants or needs it to fit a 5" on CS so yea no battle for those who want that option...otherwise it's a great addition to the fat bike scene.
    plus+, plus+ = win:

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    Just don't see the point in spending 900.00 on an unproven fork,
    when I can spend 500.00 on something that most seem to be happy with.
    if the design didn't prove itself over the last yr of testing from various people, venues it's been raced and thrashed at it never will.
    plus+, plus+ = win:

Titanium junkie
    So maybe someone can explain to me what is so bad about
    a Lefty?
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    the fact is not everybody wants or needs it to fit a 5" on CS so yea no battle for those who want that option...otherwise it's a great addition to the fat bike scene.
    Wait a minute, you just quoted me in reverse.

A few posts ago.
    I'm sure the new fork is great. For me and any one else running a tire over 4" and a rim over 80 mm it wont work so it's not a choice to be had.

Titanium junkie
    Ok, let me rephrase my question, who has a Lefty and likes it?
    You're a Tailgunner

Bad cat!
    I has one on my 907, and I really likes it...it was on my Prophet a few years ago, got the all new solo air internals nearly two years ago now (big improvement over the original oil/coil), as well as a little love from Craig @ MCS along with the clamps, and it's been problem free--just the occasional bearing reset that takes about 3 minutes or so. Super plush, but push button lockout for climbs, and a downhill segment KOM or two--good times. Offset Marge Lite wheel build I did myself and so far not a hitch...

Look for a circa 2005 cannondale prophet with lefty max (for example), you might find a local deal, and Craig can resurrect the Lefty and make it new...sell the frame and recoup enough to pay for the clamps. Then ride the crapski out of it... It's a very viable option, but there is more legwork involved in making it happen.

mtbr member
    I have 3 lefty bikes including the 2 Fatbacks pictured below and a 26" Scalpel. Love them all! I personally would be a little concerned about wheel deflection while cornering (or any other side load) with this new inverted fork. They must have some high end technology going on in those legs to keep the axle perpendicular at all times. There is a good reason why they put braces on conventional double leg forks. I understand how the OEM motorcycles do it but I don't know if that will translate to bicycles.

Titanium junkie
    Thanks guys for the responses, will forge ahead on the Lefty.
    And some Chiclets for the responses.....
    You're a Tailgunner

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    At the risk of sounding like a fanboy for my own "creation" thanks folks.

One thing, since I prefer actual info be what's out there?

Lefties can get up to 110 (perhaps more in certain configurations) bdundee earlier stated they have "less" travel than the new offering.

I too, am happy there's more options forthcoming, some folks will just never get over the "ick" response, whatever!

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member

Send me one of each, I'll be happy to compare them and report back here with results. I do it for you guys.

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

Titanium junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a fanboy for my own "creation" thanks folks.

One thing, since I prefer actual info be what's out there?

Lefties can get up to 110 (perhaps more in certain configurations) bdundee earlier stated they have "less" travel than the new offering.

I too, am happy there's more options forthcoming, some folks will just never get over the "ick" response, whatever!

And thank you for taking my call about the Lefty, will be in touch shortly
    about getting it going!
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    MCS it was also stated that lefties are heavier than the new fork. I dont have a scale at the house but I'm sure you have weighed one. Can you state the weight? The new Carver is 4.6#. I don't believe my lefty is that heavy even with the hub.

mtbr member
    Here is another guy who would have purchased had they built the fork around CS on Bud/Lou tire combo.

mtbr member
    Funny how this thread turned to Lefty is better or New fork is bad... The OP was talking about a new fork on the market. I am just happy that there are options. Some will want a lefty some will get an inverted fork let's be happy for all that manage to get suspension on a fatbike ;-)
    Age is a state of mind

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Jumping on the CS with Bud/Lou bandwagon

aka bOb

Sorry my bad I didn't think they would do 110. And sorry if I offended anyone with a lefty but as I stated this new fork doesn't turn my crank either. I want to be able to swap wheels between bikes and a lefty just doesn't allow me to do that. I don't think there are lefty haters just people who would prefer something else for their own reasons and that's perfectly ok.

P.S. It was a proud lefty owner that started the battle

mtbr member
    Why am I reading two pages of drivel about the Lefty? That's not news.

Clearance for 5" rubber isn't a real limitation, for MOST riders. The conditions where max float are king(sand, deep snow, mud, etc) are not conditions where a suspension fork is beneficial, or at least necessary. Dry, technical trails and rock chunk necessitate suspension, but are not appropriate for Bud and Lou on Clown Shoes.

For every rider on a 5" Bud/Lou, there are probably another 10 riders with 4" tires on 82mm rims. There is a market for this fork. No need to defame a product you haven't ridden to justify the purchase you've already made.

Can you state the weight?
    4.67 lb, or 2100 gm, with the full, uncut steerer.

bdundee, thanks, no worries, got a full nights sleep regardless

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    For the record I think the new fork is great, like I already said.
    Every one seems to be hung up on their own tire size. I am for all tire sizes. That's why my issue with new forks and or new frames that will not accommodate 5" tires and 100 mm rims seem to miss the mark. Why would you limit yourself to the 4" world while building something new? I completely understand that some will never want a 5" tire but what if you do? What if others do? If designing and building a new product why not design it to fit the the current available tire offerings? You would then be able to run any tire rim combination you choose. Every one wins then.
    Also for the record I don't just ride around the yard on my 5" tires and Clownshoes I ride the local trails and lots of technical trails in NC. Technical stuff is not just for 4" tires.

(If the fork/frame don't fit you must acquit)!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Its OK to fill this thread with lefty talk as there are already two other threads on the Fork-With-Many-Names
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

Its OK to fill this thread with lefty talk as there are already two other threads on the Fork-With-Many-Names
    And, Lefty is an inverted fork too

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

aka bOb
    And, Lefty is an inverted fork too
    Ok here is one of my fears with the new Fork-With-Many-Names (can we shorten that btw). I have a tendency to tip over (aka crash) in rock gardens not often but when I have I have scuffed the lowers on various forks which is really no big deal but my fear is when I tip with a inverted fork and I scuff the lowers, well couldn't that become more of an issue.

mtbr member
    No fork out there makes it easier to change a tire than a Lefty...

mtbr member
    I would speculate that when you factor in the weight of the 15 mm thru axle and the 135 mm hub the weight advantage tips in favor of the Lefty. I have no more than $700 invested in each of the Lefties I own and that includes the $280 PBR upgrade, MCS clamps, and service.

gone walk about
    I would speculate that when you factor in the weight of the 15 mm thru axle and the 135 mm hub the weight advantage tips in favor of the Lefty. I have no more than $700 invested in each of the Lefties I own and that includes the $280 PBR upgrade, MCS clamps, and service.
    this is NOT a lefty thread thank you very much
    plus+, plus+ = win:

mtbr member

Lol, pretty sure it is...

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

gone walk about
    i'm afraid not so take it elsewhere
    plus+, plus+ = win:

aka bOb
    Dude go away your points are well taken, maybe start a thread on saving the world from evil forks. Turn to Lefty and Repent....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It's not a thread jack. The thread naturally progressed in that direction. The thread jack was when the OP started a new thread when there were two existing and in depth discussions of the new fork. Oh wellllll.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It's not a thread jack. The thread naturally progressed in that direction. The thread jack was when the OP started a new thread when there were two existing and in depth discussions of the new fork. Oh wellllll.
    Do you even know what the term "thread jack" means? Starting a new thread is most definitely NOT thread-jacking.

Back to the original topic, does anybody know the details on this fork yet? Single air? Dual air? Coil spring? Lock-out? Cost of just the hub (for those with multiple front wheels)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yes, I do know the definition, I was using the word metaphorically I suppose. But you've simply proved my point by asking more questions about the fork- go look at the two other threads on it!

Here:

Carver Bikes Trans-Fat Suspension Fat Fork - READY TO GO!

Sandman Javelina suspension fork first pics
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast