Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Fat bike interest fading?

I have been seeing a number of slightly used fat bikes popping on selling sites lately and have begun to wonder if they are losing their luster. I feel like the buzz has completely died down, and one person that I know is considering a fat bike purchase but otherwise I haven't come across anyone that is even slightly interested.

I have been researching 27.5+ as a summer wheelset for my Fatback and came across this quote in an article I was reading...

"Whether these bikes are just a fad like the fat bikes which do slowly appear to be retreating into the shadows remains to be seen"

I am certain that a lot of fat bike owners including myself are very passionate about fat bikes but I wonder if it will digress into a kind of cult, I mean niche thing.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Such as it began, so shall it end.

Wait, so more used bikes in the classifieds means everyone's just dumping their fat bikes? I would bet that there are more used cars in the classifieds now than back in the 60's. Fad fading?

sluice box
    ummm I think people have more options now, even at Walfart. Gone are the days of a few companies with a brand new product. I'm sure sales will flatten out eventually. Ever think some of those used fatbikes are from folks upgrading? They have been around for more than a minute now.

Anchorage has 9 used bikes for sale today 6/9/15 not including dealers trying to sell Kent, Mongoose, some junky eBike and Framed. Yea!!! $13-hundo for an old Pugs with skinny wheels!!!
    ptarmigan hardcore

since 4/10/2009
    I know a few guys who sold fatbikes recently. A couple have upgraded to different, better fatbikes. One guy went to a + sized wheel. He has sold or is selling a couple of other types of bikes, too.

I think for some folks who got in on fatbikes, a fatbike didn't necessarily fit the way they rode their bike so they weren't 100% bought in. Some of them look to be moving over to + sized wheels. I know some guys who change bikes every couple of years regardless, just to ride something new and different.

mtbr member
    No I think they are here to stay. I only see them becoming more popular here....
    Surley Moonlander
    Revelate Designs Custom In frame pack
    Front/Rear Mud Flaps

Rocking on a Rocky
    Gotta sell your old one to get a new one, The bikes are evolving fast.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

banned
    Sep 2008
    fatbikes are more capable than any skinny tired or + bike. fading away? if so then folks will be limiting their terrain options and conditions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I do think the interest is fading, but now standards are being set and there are some good bikes. I'm just waiting to buy my second one once some of the "fat tax" has deminished. Getting a nice bike 2ndhand wouldn't hurt either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'd say it's just wishful thinking from the journalist who isn't on their own in that thinking, it seems they don't like to be proved wrong so they repeatedly dismiss fatbiking as a passing fad until some point they're going to have to concede the point.

Mainstream support from manufacturers has obviously grown hugely and most now offer at least one fat bike model. I'm most familiar with Trek who had a single fat bike model a couple of years ago, two fat bike models last year and this year they have five ranging from aluminium bikes up to full carbon frames with carbon rims with two new wheel sizes over the previous models. Clearly Trek are seeing the demand for fat bikes otherwise they wouldn't be investing in new frames and wheels.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    More new sales = more used sales. Pretty simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I think in the years to come you will a lot of fat 3", 4", and 5" bikes. Look, I have a couple 2" bikes with new tires and well kept but once I rode the 4" I never looked back. Now 3" on the other hand I could see getting for pavement and light duty roads/trails in summer but always keep the 4". Tired of waiting for 3" though so maybe I'll just get a Bucksaw instead a waiting it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I think for some folks who got in on fatbikes, a fatbike didn't necessarily fit the way they rode their bike so they weren't 100% bought in. Some of them look to be moving over to + sized wheels.
    +1 - yup.

Folks who bought fatbikes who truly want/need what they have to offer are going to be stoked and keep rolling. Thing is anything that gets hyped attracts others who just want to get in on the latest thing whether or not it's a good fit. Those are the folks who aren't going to keep their fatties.

I don't think getting over the hype phase of fatbikes is a bad thing. There is lots of great product out there and a healthy used market ain't a bad thing. Fatbikes aren't going anywhere.

29ers and 650B both had their crazy phase as well and now things have settled down to a more reasonable level of enthusiasm.

27+/29+ are pretty hyped at the moment, but in a year or so it will be something else.`It's just the way the internet works.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I love my Borealis ECHO. Run 29+ in the summer. Fat in the Winter.

Fat bikes are a new tool!

JohnnyB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcL7 View Post
    Mainstream support from manufacturers has obviously grown hugely and most now offer at least one fat bike model. I'm most familiar with Trek who had a single fat bike model a couple of years ago, two fat bike models last year and this year they have five ranging from aluminium bikes up to full carbon frames with carbon rims with two new wheel sizes over the previous models. Clearly Trek are seeing the demand for fat bikes otherwise they wouldn't be investing in new frames and wheels.
    Interestingly Giant, possibly the biggest manufacturer out there doesn't offer a single fat bike model or have plans to as far as I know. Cannondale, also a big player has no models available although they have leaked some photo's and may have something available this fall. Yet Trek is going all in with a multitude of offerings. Trek is leaning on their dealers to pre-order large quantities to try to make it work. I'm curious how those sales are going because it doesn't really matter to Trek at this point whether the consumer is on-board or not as long as the dealers buy the necessary quantities to make it work out for Trek then the dealers are responsible for whatever happens after that.

For the record I never said, and don't believe fat bikes are a "fad". On the contrary I am certain they are the most capable bike sold today and everyone should own one. I was hoping the fat bike segment would continue to grow at the pace it has been because it results in more, and better products, at lower prices. I naturally expect it to lose some steam sooner or later but I was hoping fat biking would continue to grow at the same crazy pace it has been for a couple more years at least.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens next season. For the record I also don't believe there is a "season" for fat bikes since I ride mine all year long.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Interest is not fading from what I can see.
    Used fatbikes showing up for sale isn't an indication of anything other than the fact that more people own fatbikes now.

I see guns for sale! People are losing interest in guns!!!
    Nah - doesn't work that way.

mtbr member
    If you look just in the fat bike forum, you'll notice that the most popular tire right now is the fat B nimble. It's a tire that I consider a borderline plus size tire, especially on a smaller rim. Lots of people building up smaller and lighter wheel sets also.

Lots of weight weenies out there realizing they don't need four inch tires, and can save some weight by dropping width and volume. I think some owners are migrating to the plus sized bikes, but many will just run dual wheel sets.

I do think that plus sized bikes will have almost universal appeal, at least on the XC side of things. In many geographic areas, true fat bikes will always be seen as a novelty, instead of a necessity.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Fat bikes are becoming mainstream and not fading away. The parade of new offerings continues, so it is natural for owners to turn over their bikes for the new ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch R. View Post
    Fat bikes are becoming mainstream and not fading away. The parade of new offerings continues, so it is natural for owners to turn over their bikes for the new ones.
    Exactly

turtles make me hot
    A few years ago, it was an event of sorts if you saw someone on a fat bike. Now, I see them all over. Even people casually riding around town are on fat bikes.
    Here, on Long Island, beach riding is very popular and I see them on all of the trails.
    I believe all the used bikes you're seeing for sale are being sold off to buy new fat bikes.
    I know I wanna sell mine for a newer one.
    I like turtles

Dirt Huffer
    I don't see it as a fad. It certainly beats riding on a trainer during the winter. A $500 Mongoose Vincent vs. a trainer, the Mongoose wins everytime.

A lot of roadies are getting into fat biking in the winter states. People that would have never touched a mountain bike or considered the sport are now buying fat bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    A few years ago, it was an event of sorts if you saw someone on a fat bike. Now, I see them all over. Even people casually riding around town are on fat bikes.
    Here, on Long Island, beach riding is very popular and I see them on all of the trails.
    I believe all the used bikes you're seeing for sale are being sold off to buy new fat bikes.
    I know I wanna sell mine for a newer one.
    That makes sense to me too, now that the options are really expanding, people are selling models a year or two old that are missing out on some more current and closer to standardized features.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Fat is still growing around here. I think next year we will see even more growth. When people realize that for anything other than full suspension the plus size wheels offer 80% of the negative with only 20% of the positive that full fat offers.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    got sick of our rural roads and recreational vehicle and local traffic. With a long beach west a short distance I've been putting hard miles on the sand and have enjoyed the FB. Maintenance is a pain but having miles of beach with few cars or peds is heaven.

Fat bike interest fading?-image.jpgI

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Walmart sold only one model of fat bike last year. Now they offer 12 different models. Granted, some of them are the same with different paint schemes and decals but a company like that doesn't bet on a losing proposition.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    More new sales = more used sales. Pretty simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yup.

Rode my first Mukluk about a year ago. Sold all of my skinny tire bikes, and now have 3 fat bikes. Salsa BG XX1, Salsa BG X9, and Salsa Mukluk Ti SS.

The 2 carbon BG's are currently for sale/trade lol! Only need 1 fat bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Dont think the interest is fading, just have to check in the forums list, fatbike sections use to have the double of readers online that any other section

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtuck1 View Post
    Interestingly Giant, possibly the biggest manufacturer out there doesn't offer a single fat bike model or have plans to as far as I know. Cannondale, also a big player has no models available although they have leaked some photo's and may have something available this fall. Yet Trek is going all in with a multitude of offerings. Trek is leaning on their dealers to pre-order large quantities to try to make it work. I'm curious how those sales are going because it doesn't really matter to Trek at this point whether the consumer is on-board or not as long as the dealers buy the necessary quantities to make it work out for Trek then the dealers are responsible for whatever happens after that.
    I don't think that's a surprise with Giant, they seem to be slower to pick up new wheel trends as it was much the same story with 29ers from what I remember. Aren't Cannondale and Charge some way related, I thought Cannondale owned Charge or is that just a UK thing?

As for Trek leaning on dealers, I doubt they need to do that - the main issue with the Farley 6 and 8 were that there wasn't enough stock of them, they were difficult to get a hold of in the UK and there doesn't seem to have been many sitting around in bike shops in the US either. I can't see that being different for the new bikes.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens next season. For the record I also don't believe there is a "season" for fat bikes since I ride mine all year long.
    I agree with you on that and I'm obviously far from the first person to buy a fat bike as a winter bike and carry on riding it although I think in general with the wider availability of plus sized tyres they'll be seen as the summer fat option. I'll admit I'm giving serious thought to a 29+ although it's to replace the FS 29er rather than the fat bike. On the FB Uk fatbike forum despite it slowly coming into summer here, there's still daily posts from new fatbike owners.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Is Giant still making frames for Trek and Specialized? They're probably already making fat bike frames for other companies as well. You just don't see their name on the frame. Giant is giant

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Not only is interest not fading, the conclusion you drew from the use fatties could be considered the complete opposite. So many people have bought a fatty over the last few years, and so many are looking to upgrade now that we have so many choices, it's only natural to start seeing more for sale, to finance their next one.

I think, and it's just my opinion and would be difficult to prove, more and more people are trimming their list of bikes hanging on the hook (which aren't being ridden anymore so why keep them), to finance their next fat bike. So many of us got hooked, looked at all the money we weren't riding, and sold a lot of, if not all of, our skinny tired bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My interest is fading in my 5th fat bike. Definitely time for another one methinks.

The White Jeff W
    I bought a Motobecane Boris on the fall & its for sale, but only because I replaced it with a lightly used Surly Ice Cream Truck. The guy I bought the ICT from sold it to upgrade to a lighter fatbike.
    No moss...

bigger than you.

For the record I never said, and don't believe fat bikes are a "fad". On the contrary I am certain they are the most capable bike sold today and everyone should own one. I was hoping the fat bike segment would continue to grow at the pace it has been because it results in more, and better products, at lower prices. I naturally expect it to lose some steam sooner or later but I was hoping fat biking would continue to grow at the same crazy pace it has been for a couple more years at least.

Trek sold every fatbike it made last year. My buddy who works at at Trek dealer couldn't get one if he wanted to pay double.

Trail Rat
    In the UK interest is growing massively in fat bikes, my local bike shops starting to stock parts yay!

Fat bikes are here to stay, 3.8 inch tyres are great for UK riding year round!

I get asked about mine overtime i'm out, my mates bikes don't get a look in for attention!
    Carbon Fat Bike Rider

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Urkel View Post
    Is Giant still making frames for Trek and Specialized? They're probably already making fat bike frames for other companies as well. You just don't see their name on the frame. Giant is giant
    Giant is probably still working on an ugly paint scheme.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Trek sold every fatbike it made last year. My buddy who works at at Trek dealer couldn't get one if he wanted to pay double.
    Manufacturers underestimating demand has been the hallmark of the fat bike segment so far.

The Jumbo Jim tire shortage was another perfect example.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Manufacturers underestimating demand has been the hallmark of the fat bike segment so far.

The Jumbo Jim tire shortage was another perfect example.

You know this...so the existence this thread becomes even stranger.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I can tell you this; my interest in this forum is fading.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    You know this...so the existence this thread becomes even stranger.
    The past is crystal clear for everyone to see but the future on the other hand is not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Giant do make Trek's frames but Merida make Specialized. Cannondale have it covered through recently acquired Charge Bikes.

I'm pretty well future-proof for now with a 29+ and a genuine 5" fatty - both factory-direct custom titanium as I'm not a fan of big brands. My local LBS have just started stocking fat bikes - they couldn't get them before.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Giant is just a Taiwanese builder

mtbr member
    I'm on my third fatbike now but hopefully this will be it. None seemed to offer what I wanted so I went through a couple then decided to build my own. Actually I'd also get a Bucksaw too if I could afford it.
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    I'm on my third fatbike now but hopefully this will be it. None seemed to offer what I wanted so I went through a couple then decided to build my own. Actually I'd also get a Bucksaw too if I could afford it.
    I'm on my third fatbike and I'm already becoming dissatisfied with it. Although I generally love it, I'm increasingly irritated by the 18.5" chain stays. If any company would build an affordably priced frame with 17" stays, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Was talking with a friend about this just today by coincidence, was told, "Fat bikes are a fad, like computers and electricity."
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    I'm on my third fatbike and I'm already becoming dissatisfied with it. Although I generally love it, I'm increasingly irritated by the 18.5" chain stays. If any company would build an affordably priced frame with 17" stays, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
    There's the Benefat ? Matter Cycles, but that isn't cheap. It has those special stays to avoid the need for the bridge tube which eats up about 20mm, and the bent seat tube to bring the wheel closer. But I don't like the 190mm rear hub and fat Q factor and lack of braze-ons. other than that it would be my ideal bike so I might use it as a guide for my next build. That bent seat tube would be interesting to try to build.

Edit: for $1650 that's not super expensive if you've already gone through 3 bikes. You probably have a lot of components you could strip!

mtbr member
    I'm increasingly irritated by the 18.5" chain stays.
    What is the problem? Slowness of the back end on techy trails?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Not only is interest not fading, the conclusion you drew from the use fatties could be considered the complete opposite. So many people have bought a fatty over the last few years, and so many are looking to upgrade now that we have so many choices, it's only natural to start seeing more for sale, to finance their next one.

I think, and it's just my opinion and would be difficult to prove, more and more people are trimming their list of bikes hanging on the hook (which aren't being ridden anymore so why keep them), to finance their next fat bike. So many of us got hooked, looked at all the money we weren't riding, and sold a lot of, if not all of, our skinny tired bikes.
    ++1

bigger than you.
    There's the Benefat ? Matter Cycles, but that isn't cheap. It has those special stays to avoid the need for the bridge tube which eats up about 20mm, and the bent seat tube to bring the wheel closer. But I don't like the 190mm rear hub and fat Q factor and lack of braze-ons. other than that it would be my ideal bike so I might use it as a guide for my next build. That bent seat tube would be interesting to try to build.

Edit: for $1650 that's not super expensive if you've already gone through 3 bikes. You probably have a lot of components you could strip!
    What is the problem? Slowness of the back end on techy trails?
    I'd rather have a Ventana for a few hundred less, besides, im not a fan of steel. either way, I'd have to build a new rear wheel ,which adds another 2-3 hudred to the cost. I hate the slow handling when it gets twisty and the added effort it takes to manual and hop. My trails are pretty technical and while I can manage with the bike I have, I'd rather not have to work so hard when I ride. I ride 1x, so the need for additional clearance is lost on me.

NeedGod.com
    I can't speak for others, but my interest in fatbikes is not fading at all. In fact, I just sold my skinny mtb today. What's the point of keeping it? I never ride it. My guess is most of the fatbikes for sale are being sold to make room for newer fatbikes.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    This is one of the trolliest topic titles I have seen in this forum.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2015 Motobecane Grand Record
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    Not just this one it's all of them.

the internet fad is fading
    Yes, exactly! We need something new and cool!

mtbr member
    Must be the area I live in. I know 4 people who bought fat bikes last year and I bet none of them put 100 miles on their bikes. None of them have ridden their fat bike since before the snow melted and I'm sure they won't even look at them again until next fall at the earliest. I ride 5 days per week on average and usually 3 or more of those rides are fat bike rides and I haven't seen another fat bike in several months, and the most recent sighting was in a different state while vacationing. I've probably seen 3 other fat bikes since January. It sounds like there are a lot of places where fat biking is much more widely accepted than it is here. The bike shops closest to me don't even sell them. Seems odd to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Even the shops here in western WA are slow to push it as a year-round thing.
    It's slowly gaining momentum, but it is gaining still.

mtbr member
    The last two posts imply that fat biking has not even caught on yet. The OP is about fat biking fading away. There is no way to tell except to look at balance sheets between now, last year and next year.

In Philadelphia where I live, the Trek dealer and Spec dealer do not stock any fat bikes. The other mtb-centric store and a specialty bike/culture shop sell Pugsleys. And Performance and Wally World sell their questionable offerings. That is it for the city of Philadelphia as far as I know.

I think it is very geographically oriented. In more rural and especially cold states, fat bikes seem readily available.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by soarftb View Post
    The OP is about fat biking fading away.
    No, absolutely not. The title says "Fat bike INTEREST fading?" Most of the people I know in my area who are buying fat bikes are not riding them (lack of interest?) Almost no one I know is talking about buying a fat bike (again, lack of interest?) Maybe it is a geographical thing based on others experiences.

mtbr member
    No, absolutely not. The title says "Fat bike INTEREST fading?"
    You can mince words if you want, it means the same thing.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    No, absolutely not. The title says "Fat bike INTEREST fading?" Most of the people I know in my area who are buying fat bikes are not riding them (lack of interest?) Almost no one I know is talking about buying a fat bike (again, lack of interest?) Maybe it is a geographical thing based on others experiences.

Perhaps this microscopic data set of yours is inadequate to even support a modicum of conjecture on the subject.

mtbr member
    Plural of anecdote does not equal data.

That said, here in San Diego I saw a half dozen my last ride, mostly tourist bikes, half of them electric, but a couple that looked like locals. I was surprised.

Live Free & Ride
    Trends and technology rise and fall...this is all economics, marketing and psychology at work in the world we live in. Peoples interests change like the wind yet we all want something better at some point in time. The beauty with fat bikes is that changes can be made with many different tire sizes and only one frame! Try that with a typical mtb bike. Versatility is why this segment of bikes is growing and NOT slowing! It is the Swiss Army knife of bikes!
    17 Moto Ti cross
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    08 Bad Boy Ultra
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    We just need to see more fatbike rider this summer. I ride 7 days a week (2-3 on the road bike and the rest on the fatbike. Lots of people are looking curious at me in the street of Montreal with my fatbike and its good. Ours street are soo bad that the only bike that I feel safe on is the fatbike and I am having lots of fun.

I don't think that the interest is fading.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by soarftb View Post
    In Philadelphia where I live, the Trek dealer and Spec dealer do not stock any fat bikes. The other mtb-centric store and a specialty bike/culture shop sell Pugsleys. And Performance and Wally World sell their questionable offerings. That is it for the city of Philadelphia as far as I know.
    Keswick (specialized dealer) has stocked and sold Fatboys. Breakaway Bikes got as many Farley's as they were allotted- Joe, one of the owners owns one. Bell's Bike Shop on E. Passyunk has a few 9:Zero:7 framesets in stock. Bicycle Revs & Trophy stock Surly. There are quite a few shops in the suburbs that have stocked & sold fatbikes- I bought my 1st pugsley at Highroad Cycles in Wayne (now a Bikeline shop) and when I was in there last, had a couple of Fatboys on the floor and a few Farley's in the que. But other than that, fatbikes haven't really taken off in Philly, although I came seeing more and more, I personally can count the people that I know with them on one hand.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not just this one it's all of them.

the internet fad is fading
    -Probably true, I only venture out and about every couple weeks. Scroll the first page of several subforums, click on only a handful, read 1 maybe 2 start-finish, close the rest within 2 replies out of discouragement.

-Internet? That's a topic for another time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Yes, exactly! We need something new and cool!
    Rather than new and cool I'd settle for an in-depth technical discussion on any variety of fat-bike topics.

New fatbiking helmet?
    ..scroll.....
    Tubeless?
    ...scroll....
    Best bike under $XX?
    ...scroll....
    Best bike over $XXXX?
    ...scroll....
    Weight reduction?
    ...scrolling....
    ...scrolling....
    ...scrolling....
    What first mod?
    ...scroll....
    ...scrolling....
    What gearing for______?
    ...scrolling....
    ...scroll....

Yup, you can have them. Used to be able to spend all day reading. Now can be in-out in less time than it takes to make a pot of coffee.

mtbr member
    Keswick (specialized dealer) has stocked and sold Fatboys. Breakaway Bikes got as many Farley's as they were allotted- Joe, one of the owners owns one. Bell's Bike Shop on E. Passyunk has a few 9:Zero:7 framesets in stock. Bicycle Revs & Trophy stock Surly. There are quite a few shops in the suburbs that have stocked & sold fatbikes- I bought my 1st pugsley at Highroad Cycles in Wayne (now a Bikeline shop) and when I was in there last, had a couple of Fatboys on the floor and a few Farley's in the que. But other than that, fatbikes haven't really taken off in Philly, although I came seeing more and more, I personally can count the people that I know with them on one hand.
    OK so Giant clearly knows more about the Philly fat bike market than I do.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    You need a fatbike in Philly, how else are you going to get up the Rocky steps?

turtles make me hot
    You need a fatbike in Philly, how else are you going to get up the Rocky steps?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    ummm I think people have more options now, even at Walfart. Gone are the days of a few companies with a brand new product. I'm sure sales will flatten out eventually. Ever think some of those used fatbikes are from folks upgrading? They have been around for more than a minute now.

Anchorage has 9 used bikes for sale today 6/9/15 not including dealers trying to sell Kent, Mongoose, some junky eBike and Framed. Yea!!! $13-hundo for an old Pugs with skinny wheels!!!
    Agreed, the fat bike scene only continues to grow up here in AK. It aint going anywhere. We can ride (really ride, like ride some of the best single tracks around in WINTER) all year round now. On my second fat bike, looking for a third in 5 years soon.

It may have been a trend in some areas, but not up here, its here to stay.
    Dave

2015 Specialized Fat Boy PRO
    2013 Carve SS
    2015 Epic World Cup
    2015 Jake the Snake

All fat, all the time.
    dropper posts
    I heard of a new product coming....should be out this summer.....carbon wireless dropper, fatbike specific (sorry skinny-tire riders!)

going to be EPIC!

passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I heard of a new product coming....should be out this summer.....carbon wireless dropper, fatbike specific (sorry skinny-tire riders!)

going to be EPIC!
    that'd be right......... bring out a winter bike specific product, in summer, but it'll be winner for sure.

Who'll be the first to convert one for skinny bikes, or even + bikes?
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Telemark skiing is replacing fatbiking

Trail Rat
    Am i the only one who doesn't think fat bikes are only for snow and sand?
    Carbon Fat Bike Rider

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by devans View Post
    Am i the only one who doesn't think fat bikes are only for snow and sand?
    Yes, you are the only one. Everyone else knows that they suck for anything other than snow/sand riding. Really, that's just fan boy crazy talk.

Trail Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Johanneson View Post
    Yes, you are the only one. Everyone else knows that they suck for anything other than snow/sand riding. Really, that's just fan boy crazy talk.
    Your no fun!
    Carbon Fat Bike Rider

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by edgeworker View Post
    Telemark skiing is replacing fatbiking
    I disagree. I just walked outside and didn't see anyone on skis - skiing is clearly losing popularity.

mtbr member
    I love my fatbikes.

aka bOb
    dropper posts
    Carbon dropper posts.

I don't really see it dropping at all around me (WI) I see a few for sale but that is due to upgraditis. Heck this last winter our Spesh dealer went full in and couldn't keep up with the demand and ended up getting some Framed and Rocky Mountain in as well.

I think the lower end bikes that are now available are really helping to get people into the sport and in the long run will help out the more expensive bike companies when people decide to upgrade. I'm sure you will see a rash of these bikes for sale over the next year or two.

What I have been seeing to my surprise is a fair amount of high end low use 29+ wheelsets for sale.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    When I hit the trails, I hardly ever see anyone on a fat bike. My interest in a fat bike grows everyday. And I'm hoping to go to my LBS today after work and test ride one.

mtbr member
    As I read the responses over the last few days it's obvious I have not been clear in wording this question. I'll ask it a different way... Do you believe the triple digit year over sales volume increases we've enjoyed for the last few years in the fat bike segment will continue, and for how long?

csf
    mtbr member
    interesting topic. here in my area fat biking seems to be increasing in popularity. a new company which rents fat bikes has been established this year, eastside wide, and a couple local dealers in mammoth sell them. I know of another guide service in bishop which leads fat bike tours and will be purchasing some fat bikes soon for their own; think they rent or rely on clients to bring their own currently.

I just bought mine after a coworker got one and rode with him. the light bulb went on for me as to how much more fun and terrain would open up with a fatty.

we're in a four season area with desert like terrain to forest floor duff and pumice; snow groomed trails in the winter near mammoth as well.

mtbr member
    Do you believe the triple digit year over sales volume increases we've enjoyed for the last few years in the fat bike segment will continue, and for how long?
    Nothing exponential can continue. Except economic growth, as the economists like to tell us....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Carbon dropper posts.

What I have been seeing to my surprise is a fair amount of high end low use 29+ wheelsets for sale.
    Where are you seeing this? I want a set.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Have you ridden a specialized fat boy? spot on geometry.
    Dave

2013 Carve SS
    2015 Epic World Cup
    2015 Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by numbnuts View Post
    Not really - not if you want shorter stays. It rides well, I've ridden them several times, but there's room for improvement.

The Farley has shorter stays than the Fatboy - 17.32". The Spec chainstays are a half inch longer. One of the reasons I chose the Farley 7. So I guess the geometry is even more "spot on" on than the Fat boy if you like this type of trail oriented geometry - which I do. The 2016 also has a horizontal drop-outs so you can slam that rear wheel in toward the seat post even further.

Also, Specialized needs to learn that they can feel free to drop the top tube down a bit and put a gusset on the seat tube. My wife has no clearance on the Fat Boys because the top tube even on the medium is too high. The "we copied the Carve geometry!" thing is wearing thin when you look at the solutions that other builders have come up with.
    That's from someone who historically has favored Specialized over Trek.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Not really - not if you want shorter stays. It rides well, I've ridden them several times, but there's room for improvement.

The Farley has shorter stays than the Fatboy - 17.32". The Spec chainstays are a half inch longer. One of the reasons I chose the Farley 7. So I guess the geometry is even more "spot on" on than the Fat boy if you like this type of trail oriented geometry - which I do. The 2016 also has a horizontal drop-outs so you can slam that rear wheel in toward the seat post even further.

Also, Specialized needs to learn that they can feel free to drop the top tube down a bit and put a gusset on the seat tube. My wife has no clearance on the Fat Boys because the top tube even on the medium is too high. The "we copied the Carve geometry!" thing is wearing thin when you look at the solutions that other builders have come up with.
    That's from someone who historically has favored Specialized over Trek.
    For its first foray you have to admit specialized did something pretty good with the fatboy.

For 2000 (about 300-400 less than the farley 7), you got arguably the best wheels and tires in the price range (actually, no argument there, they are the best wheels and tires in the price range), carbon fork (don't think any 2000 bikes at the time had that), proven, nimble geometry, etc.

I'm 6 foot plus, 34" inseam, fits great. Dont think the market 2 years ago for a XC geometry woman centric fatbike was there, if it was the big boys would have catered to it.
    Dave

2013 Carve SS
    2015 Epic World Cup
    2015 Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Oh yeah, don't get we wrong I had no problem with how the Fat Boy felt. If it had thru-axles I may have even pulled the trigger on the orange one. I think Specialized did a great job at the time - but time to step it up.
    Fatboy has almost 18" stays though, you're wanting something shorter you have to look elsewhere.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by numbnuts View Post
    Personally, I didn't like it, the HTA was too steep and put my weight too far forward. With a lefty, my 907 is at 68º, which is nearly perfect for me but for the stupid-long 18.4" chain stays.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Oh yeah, don't get we wrong I had no problem with how the Fat Boy felt. If it had thru-axles I may have even pulled the trigger on the orange one. I think Specialized did a great job at the time - but time to step it up.
    Fatboy has almost 18" stays though, you're wanting something shorter you have to look elsewhere.
    Ugg, dont get me started on Big S and QR....

However, they are coming around! My epic world cup has them and my SS has it (well I did have to plop down 2000 on a set of ROVALs and a SID XX to get it though !!!
    Dave

2013 Carve SS
    2015 Epic World Cup
    2015 Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I used to give the Specialized rep crap when he came into the shop - the owner would get ticked off at me. "umma gumma tires - really?" Last time I checked soft compound mechanical grip only works on pavement. Those tires went away of course, but funny how a bike mechanic was able to figure that out before their R&D department.

The Trek reps were more uptight so I left them alone.

All fat, all the time.
    I disagree. I just walked outside and didn't see anyone on skis - skiing is clearly losing popularity.
    Are you telling me I shouldn't waste my time trying to ski in the summer? dangit!

When people give me weird comments about the fat tires, I tell them I'm searching for snow.

mtbr member
    As I read the responses over the last few days it's obvious I have not been clear in wording this question. I'll ask it a different way... Do you believe the triple digit year over sales volume increases we've enjoyed for the last few years in the fat bike segment will continue, and for how long?
    1) It can't, that's a given

2) If I was good at predicting the future, I'd be posting atop a pile of money from the Apple stock I bought in 2002.

aka bOb
    Where are you seeing this? I want a set.
    Fat Bike Trader Facebook is a good place to start.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I rented a fat bike recently on a work trip to see what all the hype was about. The big soft tires somehow made it feel less secure and less stable underneath me. It was easy to get around in and was fun to try, but I still prefer the feel of my 29er HT.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by atay87 View Post
    I rented a fat bike recently on a work trip to see what all the hype was about. The big soft tires somehow made it feel less secure and less stable underneath me. It was easy to get around in and was fun to try, but I still prefer the feel of my 29er HT.
    Now I'm not one to pass the fat bike cool aide around and I know they are not for everyone but this is the silliest thing I have heard to date. Heck even my wife who can't walk and chew gum prefers her fat bike due to the stability. I can even get her off road now along with the kids, they love the monster truck safe feeling. Maybe the tires where too low?

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Now I'm not one to pass the fat bike cool aide around and I know they are not for everyone but this is the silliest thing I have heard to date. Heck even my wife who can't walk and chew gum prefers her fat bike due to the stability. I can even get her off road now along with the kids, they love the monster truck safe feeling. Maybe the tires where too low?

I'm gonna go with the tires being too low. Call me a heretic for going against fatbike orthodoxy, but running low pressures when there's no snow on the ground makes no sense to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    It was a Surly Pugsly with 3.8" tires. The front was at 8psi and the back was at 10. The guy at the shop said they normally do 6psi. I was out west and the ground was a lot dryer and looser than I'm used to, so maybe my normal bike would have been worse. The first rocky section I went down, I came off the bike. For some reason I just less secure and it seems to skid a lot when I braked. Some of it was probably just in my head. But I did get more confident with it the more I rode it. I would like to try one on my regular trails. But I still think I rode enough to convince myself not to sell my current bike for a fat one, which I was actually open to before trying it.

mtbr member
    Look, everyone has their own experience and feel for a ride and that is probably the most important thing. My experience has been that running tire pressure too high can give a lot of bounce to the tire which makes it hard to handle went it bounces off of obstacles. At lower pressure you can get self steer. So controlling the front end of my fat bike has been challenging. I also had trouble with my fat bike in narrow wet twisty singletrack. The fat bike did well on dry gravel for me.

Please don't drink any Kool-Aid. Ride what you enjoy and what's comfortable for you.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    It was a Surly Pugsly with 3.8" tires. The front was at 8psi and the back was at 10. The guy at the shop said they normally do 6psi. I was out west and the ground was a lot dryer and looser than I'm used to, .
    Too low pressure for dry trails...those would be a good starting point for soft snow riding.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

Ride Captain
    Feb 2012
    I just bought one and around here interest is HUGE and growing. I won't get rid of my Gary Fisher FS but I will love my Framed Alaska Alloy for years to come.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    Too low pressure for dry trails...those would be a good starting point for soft snow riding.
    I'd say the opposite. 6-7 psi, depending on rider weight.

Lone Wolf
    I think the full suspension Fatties are making people sell the hard tail fats..

I'd not want a bike that bounces If I got it going real fast down a hill..

I want a full suspension Salsa Bucksaw or the Turner.. But They cost way too much.
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Referencing the OP's question, here's some actual data: Supplier sales up 6 percent through March, BPSA says | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News
    For the lazy, it states: "Unsuspended fat bikes were up a strong 29 percent in sales to $6.6 million..." for the 1st quarter of 2015 compared to the same period in 2014.

Beyond the numbers, fat bikes have had a big influence on the overall bike market. There's a definite trend to wider tires and rims across the board. I liken it to the effect that snowboarding had on skis - wider, shorter, twin tips, skis in the terrain parks, etc. The fatbike forum is still one of the busiest on MTBR. There might be a lull in the general anticipation level because just about every unfulfilled niche has been filled - high-end, low-end, rigid, FS, touring, racing, kids' fat bikes, edible fat bikes, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast