mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Fat bike with helium filled tires

Has anybody tried this?
    It sounds interesting considering the high air volume but what characteristics would it bring to the ride, positive or negative? and would there be any health risks i.e explosions etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've been saving my methane for weeks to fill my fat tires.

Black Sheep rising
    Due to the small size of the helium molecule, you will likely have to keep filling the tire up. Consider a helium balloon after a day or so for an example.

Besides, that small volume of helium would likely not be not be noticeably different in weight than the same volume of regular air, so you wouldn't see a real-world difference in bike or rotational weight.

Sorry.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

Chronic Underachiever
    Hydrogen is cheaper and more readily available, just watch out for static electricity.

workin' it Administrator
    best bet if an inert gas was desired would be nitrogen. A larger molecule than helium, and if properly done less variable due to temperatures and moisture. Of course that only really relates to automobiles and mostly high performance automobiles where variances in fractions of psi can cause handling changes.

Best bet is to fill your tires with air. It is still a large proportion of nitrogen, there some nice helium and then oxygen to boot. Cheaper too, you can get it free from practically any pump. It might weight a little more than a comparable tire filled with helium but it will weigh less than a tire filled with pure nitrogen so you got that going for you.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I only fill my tires with Neon, the trouble is staying fast enough for the front Dynamo to keep them lit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Had much the same wild idea, except the use of helium inside sealed frame/fork tubes to reduce weight. That lasted about 5 seconds when I realized that while helium is lighter than air, it also has weight. My next thought was to create a vacum inside the tubes...nothing in there...no weight!

Then I did a search for the weight of air per volume...it ain't go'na fly! In fact, the bike weight would be increased due the the valves necessary to extract the air.

Utabintarbo is correct; you can fill tour tires with helium, but it will not stay in them, in fact your party balloon, I wager, will stay afloat longer. A fun thought though!!!!

mtbr member
    I fill my tires with the exhalations of lost children.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

Black Sheep rising
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    I fill my tires with the exhalations of lost children.
    Mildly creepy.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

jmw
    mtbr member
    maybe take the hot air balloon approach and install little flamethrowers in the rims?

traction might suffer though
    future nature

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You could always use Propane... run your stove in camp...

Is dang happy!
    Old school air is as light as air, probably not worth the trouble.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Cool second post bro

jmw
    mtbr member
    yeah, don't get discouraged....some of us are just smart@sses
    future nature

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You'd need a lot of helium to lighten the bike, let alone lift it. http://science.howstuffworks.com/helium2.htm
    "0.5cubic ft of helium can lift 14 grams."

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Filling with Water is where it's at, the extra weight adds to the momentum effect, once you get them rolling they aren't going to stop.

After all this isn't Weight Wennie this is fat bike!!

I actually tried above for a laugh while BORED 1 weekend, but couldn't get enough water into the tube easily so gave up.

PSYCHOLUST
    I love that so many of us have these kinds of thoughts...... So many cyclists are closet engineers, spending so much time in that symbiotic relationship with one of the greatest machines ever made.
    As for lightening a FAT BIKE, I'd say the quick/cheap answer is tire tubes, and that is just so boring compared with exotic gas filled frames and tires.

The VACUUM idea sounds pretty cool, but as one poster noted, the sealing and valving would add a TON of weight.

YET ANOTHER alternative would be a skip a few cookies and potatoes and lose five pounds of ASS, which has always seemed to work for cyclists..

keep thinking outside the box...........thats where crazy ideas like GEARS and disc brakes and CARBON came from in years past.

mtbr member
    I've got it! Hollow spokes.

Now to find a long thin drill to drill out my spoke centres. I wonder if they make double butted drill bits
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

PSYCHOLUST
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike
    I've got it! Hollow spokes.

Now to find a long thin drill to drill out my spoke centres. I wonder if they make double butted drill bits

This is very good....My only suggestion would be that you want have both elbows firmly on a table and one eye closed so you can be assured of a STRAIGHT drilling.