mtbr member

Fat bike & fatter fronts

Does adding a wider front to your fatty add any real benefit in the real world?

Sometime I feel I could do with more float when riding on sand. Realistically I am limited to a 80mm rim on the rear of my bike, as you can see here with the Nate fitted.

So as one of my options, I was thinking about a 100mm front wheel with a BFL I could swap over when beachriding, but I am unsure if the benefits from just a wider front will be worth the build cost.

Has anyone any experience with 100mm front/80mm rear combo.
    My new theory is float over it with the front & paddle through it with the rear..

Or keep saving for that we shall not speak about
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    I am building something along the same lines. I have a moonlander fork for a 100mm 4.5 como up front.

In the rear I have to do a 3.7 on something smaller because I don't have that much room. A 65mm may be in order or I will go back to the tried and true 50mm.

I got away with 50mm rims for years. Now i have no suspension fork so the 100 up front and a 4.5 should smooth things out a bit.

A Surly Maverick
    I've been running a RD with Larry (front) and LM with BFL (rear) on my Pug.

The tyre width is about identical front and rear, approx 98mm, so no real advantage.

With beach riding I always feel that you need most width and float at the rear as that is where most of your weight is.

I did run the Pug with a Trailtech 47mm front rim and Larry (approx 88mm wide) and a LM Endo rear (approx 94mm) wide for a while. Never felt the (slightly narrower) front was an issue.

For MAX float though, max front and rear footprint is desirable

Also a flatter (tyre) profile is more desirable as the pressure on the soft surface is distributed more evenly.

In summary.........Keep saving

Cheers,
    Dr FG.
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

Dr Gadget is IN
    Stepping up to a BFL in the front - with 100mm rims F&R - does make a difference in the sand/gravel arroyos I ride. The front seems to "iron" a path that makes it easier for the back.
    Fatbikes are much more fun than they should be allowed to be!

WSS/OSS: open source sealant

mtbr member
    MM i need to give you a shot of that bike that we shall not speak about...

Then there will be no point trying to resist...

Keep your 9zero7 on regular fat and keep saving,
    It is a noticeable differance on 4.7"/ Hundies to 3.7" once away from real soft stuff, gravel, pebbles and rocks on the coast,
    I won`t be riding to the coast that often on that we shall not speak about...

But man i love the Moonlander doh! said it!
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I've got a BFL/RD on the front of my pug and I can definitely tell a difference from the Larry/LM that was there stock. If you're going to get the stock build Moonlander, probably doesn't make sense to build up a 100mm rim for a BFL, but if you're building it up from the frame, you could just use that front wheel for the new build...
    Look out honey, 'cause I'm usin' technology

no dabs
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    Stepping up to a BFL in the front - with 100mm rims F&R - does make a difference in the sand/gravel arroyos I ride. The front seems to "iron" a path that makes it easier for the back.
    I'm currently running BFL front, Nate rear, both on 100mm rims.

I find that seems like the case in packable snow conditions as well (the front tire making a better path for the rear as it goes), but it seems highly dependent on pressure. This effect seems most useful to me for the reduced effort in relatively good conditions, not for extra "go anywhere" in questionable conditions.

It is definitely true that as soon as the front tire has as much float as the rear, in the really soft stuff, the float deficit in the rear is so substantial that it seems somewhat pointless to go bigger in the front. That was true with Endos. Or seated only riding. I've found, however, that the Nate offers so much traction that the extra float of the BFL is actually nice because.... In some situations I can stand and lean forward for more balanced float. If I tried that with the dual endos or endo/spider combo, it was tenuous, and frustrating when I leaned too far and the rear spun. With the Nate rear, I can get away with doing this, frustration free, even on uphills! If i do get a little spin, it is not like it breaks free entirely, it is just a warning to shift my weight back some.

A Surly Maverick
    The Lunar Cult calls...........
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member
    Thanks for the opinions.

I guess there is only 1 true way to get the results I require, and building a wheel isn't it

mtbr member
    I've upped the front of my Mukluk from 80mm rims and Fat Larry's to a Clown Shoe and a BFL and I did notice on the soft sand this weekend that the front did float better on the very soft stuff and it felt like the back was sinking in a bit.

Is it worth the money? Hell no but what the hell

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnclimber View Post
    I've upped the front of my Mukluk from 80mm rims and Fat Larry's to a Clown Shoe and a BFL and I did notice on the soft sand this weekend that the front did float better on the very soft stuff and it felt like the back was sinking in a bit.

Is it worth the money? Hell no but what the hell
    "Hell no but what the hell" - Exactly!

Of course it's great to have super fat front + rear, but if you already have a bike other than the Moonlander, you're always going to be somewhat limited (whether it is with rim width, tire size, drivetrain spec). It will help - some - and it certainly won't hurt to have a BFL + 100mm front on this type of bike. You just have to decide if it's worth your money and time, or if you'd rather wait and get a Moonie.

Nuts
    What kinda gets me is why do people think you need a moonlander to gat max width?
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    What kinda gets me is why do people think you need a moonlander to gat max width?
    In the UK it is the default solution due to cost/ availablity / warranty for going wide IMO.
    Shipping cost + 20% Tax + long delivery times make the moonlander look like the smart choice.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by motorman View Post
    In the UK it is the default solution due to cost/ availablity / warranty for going wide IMO.
    Shipping cost + 20% Tax + long delivery times make the moonlander look like the smart choice.
    Sorry I forget our UK friends.
    And I love beer!!