wjh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

fat bike decision time

I will be getting a fat bike for my only bike, letting go of my fuel ex8. I have done a lot of looking for fat bikes in my area and can get a Mukluk 2, a Pugsly or a 9zero7. I have ridden each, except for the 9zero7, which i would need to order. The pugs would need new shifters immediately, the mukluk may need new tires as the nates wont work for me on any pavement riding to trails, but the 9zero7 will cost a few hundred more. I am looking for opinions on which way to go
    Thanks

Bite Me.
    Would be helpful to know your intended use - terrain, etc. Generically speaking, buy the one that fits you the best. Also consider whether you prefer an offset design 135mm or 170mm symmetrical.

As for the Mukluk tires, if you want to trade out the Nates, let me know. I have endos and Larrys lying around that would love a new home.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have ridden a 9 zero 7 two winters now and love it.. my true thoughts though are that you can over think the decision.. just get one of them and you will love it. I ride with guys that have most every model and brand made and they all do fine. We all do lust for the pricey lightest bikes with the fancy parts but just make a choice and start pedaling fat.. you won't regret it.

wjh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My riding will consist of snow in winter. Single track, nothing too technical, some roots, rocks, but mostly fairly tame stuff, typical of southern ontario. Paths when with my wife.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You really can't go wrong with any of them. Get the one that fits best in the color you like. I'd personally go Pugsley for value and versatility.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Do you prefer a certain metal to another? I'm a steel kindof gal,so muk and 9 zero 7 never crossed my mind. But if you like aluminum, then obviously the pugs is out then.
    Offset can be a decision maker as well. Do you mind offset wheels or indifferent?
    The Pugs has more of traditional MTB feel geometry wise, while the Muk and 9 zero 7 have more of an upright feel to them, sortof like a hybrid ride.
    Looks wise, do you care for color or style? I personally love the 9 zero 7 TT bendy style as far as looks go, plus I would have gotten better SO(I am short). Eh, I just fit on my pugs Necro and I am fine with that.

PPs are right, you can totally overthink it and be paralyzed with fearing an incorrect decision. Fat is never a bad decision, no matter what you go with. Ride it and love it!

mtbr member
    I have a Pugsley, a Moonlander, and a Mukluk. My gal has a 9zero7. They're all great bikes. Get a Fatback!
    Out to ride

Bite Me.
    Pugs is hard to beat and Surly is a good group of folks, but any of those bikes will treat you well. I'd probably make the decision on the bike with the better components for the price rather than the manufacturer.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    I'd stick with what you can ride. Since you are going to replace something on either the Muk or the Pugs just buy the one you like riding the best.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have been riding my new 9zero7 for a month and I'm very pleased. Some opinions are if you want a true mountain bike feel you need to go with a Pugsley due to the geometry. I don't have any saddle time on the other brands but my 9zero7 feels just like a mountain bike as I don't think a 1/2 or 1 dergree on the head tube angle is going to make a drastic of difference. The 9zero7's do tend to be tall in front, my 20mm riser bars with 5mm of spacers, 110mm stem in the -5* position places the bars level with the saddle, right where I wanted them. No problem lowering the bars if you run straight bars instead. The bottom line is after a few rides you will get used to whatever bike you buy, have a blast, and will not doubt your decision
    Last edited by Tiboy; 02-06-2013 at 04:25 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005

fat bike decision time

Quote Originally Posted by ishpeming View Post
    I have ridden a 9 zero 7 two winters now and love it.. my true thoughts though are that you can over think the decision.. just get one of them and you will love it. I ride with guys that have most every model and brand made and they all do fine. We all do lust for the pricey lightest bikes with the fancy parts but just make a choice and start pedaling fat.. you won't regret it.

Agreed. Paralysis by analysis if you end up getting too carried away with comparisons. That said, for me, fit is always a crucial piece of the puzzle and is usually the key variable that tips the scales in one direction. If you are a "I can hop on any bike and be comfortable" kind if guy then you are golden. Grab whichever one you think is sexiest and go ride. If you have more challenges with fit (really long torso shorter legs, for instance) then I say try to test ride every option you are considering buying. If you can't test ride the 907, at least compare the geometries to the two you've ridden and see if that sheds any light for you.

I test road several brands but kept coming back to the fatbike that fit me the best and put the biggest smile on my face when pedaling it. Had I made the decision based on specs alone I think I personally would have made the wrong call in terms of fit. Good luck with your decision.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh View Post
    The pugs would need new shifters immediately...
    Meh. The microshifts work good. The indexed rear shifter is very good to excellent. The friction front is fine. Definitely doesn't "need" to be replaced immediately.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    wjh...I've sent you a PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005

fat bike decision time

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Again??? View Post
    Meh. The microshifts work good. The indexed rear shifter is very good to excellent. The friction front is fine. Definitely doesn't "need" to be replaced immediately.
    I've spent some time on a buddy's moonlander and have been really impressed by the microshifters... at least the rear.

wjh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    pucker factor... replied

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Endomorph View Post
    I have a Pugsley, a Moonlander, and a Mukluk. My gal has a 9zero7. They're all great bikes. Get a Fatback!
    I second the Fatback. Next choice would be a 907. Before you write them off as too expensive, price all your best wants for parts and add it up. I feel the Muk2 is way over priced for the parts spec(I own one and didn't do the math until it was too late). They do ride well, but need an XO (looks good in pics, haven't tried yet) front D. or Shimano to shift well.

mtbr member
    I think the biggest drawback to fatbikes is the weight. The main criticism is they handle slow and are unresponsive. That said, I'd recommend a bike that you can progressively lighten as funds allow or get something high end straightaway. I am a weight weenie, but as others and myself will tell you, a <=28# fatbike can't help but be ridden year round. They are like a porsche with monster truck tires. Fatback's premium build, 907's McGrath build, salsa alum/ti, or carver ti are the starting blocks. Yeah, it'll cost $3+K in the end, but it's worth it. I would be hesitant to point you in the direction of a 38# pugs.

mtbr member
    I bought myself a muk 3 for Christmas and I'm very happy with it as is. They changed the geometry and slacked out the HA on the muk a touch this year, it doesn't feel tall like a hybrid, to me it feels neutral like a mountain bike. I have a SS with the track dropouts and I definitely prefer the alternator dropouts if I was thinking of going SS or IGH. The non offset rear for some may be attractive also. The only real negative to surlys is I personally think the parts specs are lacking, even the muk3 has much nicer parts than any of the surlys for the equivalent or less $$. But realistically I doubt you could go wrong with any of them, I would have swung either way myself, I bought the muk cuz a local shop had one available in my size.