mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Fat bike computer question

I just purchased a Moonlander and would like to install a bike computer on it. I've heard that some computers may not work well in the cold, not well on fat bikes. Any suggestions, things to consider, to avoid?
    Thanks!

Human Test Subject
    I have a planet bike 9 function computer on mine. Has 2 settings for different tires and a thermometer that works at least as low as 4 below and as high as 105 in addition to all the normal bike computer functions.

mtbr member
    I have a Garmin 500 that I transfer from bike to bike. So far it has worked down to 29 d. Haven't ridden any colder than that yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Cateye computers support big wheel sizes.

mtbr member
    I mounted a computer to my Necromancer yesterday. The only problem I had was that the sensor was to far away from the magnet. I had to put a small rubber shim (1/4") between the fork blade and the sensor. It seemed to work fine in the parking lot. Getting ready to head out on my first fat tire trail ride to see how well she works out.
    Disclaimer: I own a bike shop

Dubz bikes and boards
    Oxford, Michigan
    248-969-5986

www.dubzbikesandboards.com

mtbr member
    I happen to use a Garmin 610 watch that does running and biking. I do have a Specialized one on my road bike because it came with it when I bought it. It tells me the same thing my Garmin does and I haven't had any issues with it in the cold. BUT since my road doesn't go where my fattie can, I'd be more concerned with muck and ice on the sensor than the readout display itself.

Laramie, Wyoming
    I use the Garmin 800. It can be set up for all your different bikes and it doesn't need a sensor on the fatbike or mountain bike. We don't usually start seeing really cold temperatures until in December so I'm not sure yet about how cold before it stops working.

Moderator Moderator
    I have an older (5yr?) Garmin Edge 650 (rechargeable type) and it has never failed in cold (-10F), rain, etc. I can't say the same for my Motorola tough phone (some military spec), the screen goes black on cold days if kept in my pack's waistbelt pocket.

mtbr member
    I have an Oregon 450 that works perfectly. It all depends on what you're after. I wanted speed, distance, time of ride and a map of where I was. I will connect to an ANT device for cadence but i don't have a need for that. I really like the Oregon 450, but it suits my needs. YMMV.
    Steel Fatback

mtbr member
    I have used a Garmin 705 for a few years now. One nice thing about a gps computer is that you dont' have to even mount it on your bike exposed to the elements on really super duper cold days. You can carry it in a pocket or put it in your backpack etc. and it will still record all your stats. You just can't look at it while you're riding....lol