Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    And to place that high (top 4%)!!! Impressive
    Why, thank you

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Enchanted Forest in Maryland. Video.

"Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Great pics Drevil, a friend of mine lives in Reston, VA...

I may be visiting him in the next few months and was wondering where these parks are located and are they "doable" from Reston, VA. As best I can tell, Fountainhead is the closest techy trail area to Reston? I can easily run mapquest but I know that traffic down there is a killer and it could throw off the time considerably although I would be there on the weekend so that should help somewhat. I ride a fatty 907 in northeast PA and love rooty, rocky terrain. Thanks,

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Elizabeth Furnace is prolly the most techy within ~1 hour of DC. It's west of town, like Reston, so definitely research that one.

Fountainhead is swoopy and fast with lots of lil bumps and jumps. A lot of fun, but not really rocky.

My favorite rocky riding is in Frederick, MD. There's Gambrill, which is decently marked, then there's the Frederick Watershed (where I shot that last vid), which is bigger, rockier, and less well marked.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Enchanted Forest in Maryland. Video.

Love your work and your video .

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    A root ball at Avalon
    nice, you ever ride Rville?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by captbuck View Post
    nice, you ever ride Rville?
    I was at Rosaryville in the evening last night. I did Wissahickon (in Philly) for the first time, in the morning. It was too gorgeous a day to do just one ride

BTW, Wiss is a blast. Lots of little jumps, log rides and things that could lead to your peril (like that ginormous concrete pipe!)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I was at Rosaryville in the evening last night. I did Wissahickon (in Philly) for the first time, in the morning. It was too gorgeous a day to do just one ride

BTW, Wiss is a blast. Lots of little jumps, log rides and things that could lead to your peril (like that ginormous concrete pipe!)
    when i go up there, i ride 4 laps on the pugs. great workout! i normally ride in SoMD...st. mary's lake. i'll have to keep an eye out for you. You're rig is very unique

not FAT free
    log jump
    built under 4 minutes
    1 hour of fun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Bike Air and Action Shots on Tech Terrain-dsc00040.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by atom29 View Post
    Sorry sir, you are in the minority. Most of these folk would rather bolt a bunch of crap to therir bikes than catch air!
    I haven't looked at this thread before because quite honestly I don't catch air. Nothing wrong with doing that. It looks like good fun. What is wrong is pulling pictures off threads to re post when you call them crap. If you don't like someones stuff be an adult and keep it to yourself.

btw....from now on you do not have my permission to re post any of my pictures or comments anywhere on the web.

Sorry to the OP for interrupting here...
    Last edited by I'm suba; 09-25-2012 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Removed pictures

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm suba View Post
    I haven't looked at this thread before because quite honestly I don't catch air. Nothing wrong with doing that. It looks like good fun. What is wrong is pulling pictures off threads to re post when you call them crap. If you don't like someones stuff be an adult and keep it to yourself.

btw....from now on you do not have my permission to re post any of my pictures or comments anywhere on the web.

Sorry to the OP for interrupting here...
    Not this sh!t... again !

I remember that last year you did something like this under your old username.
    Why get so upset when somebody reposts your pics to make his point ? (that you happen to dislike)
    It's a public forum, people will do this and keep on doing this.
    Maybe you should think of watermarking your pictures or doing something with copyright...
    Or just accept that what you put on this forum or on the internet is going to be open for use/abuse by a lot of people, and sometimes you may not like the results.
    Just put back your pics, go out for a ride.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure what this is all about, but, once you post a picture on an open public forum the picture is pretty much of public domain and if some decides to repost the picture there isn't much you can do about it.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    once you post a picture on an open public forum the picture is pretty much of public domain and if some decides to repost the picture there isn't much you can do about it.
    ^^This^^

Last year there was a similar situation when some picture was reposted.
    And there was a similar reaction where pictures were deleted.

To me both members were a bit childish at the time.

* Velobike's reaction on post 2 in this thread on the other hand is much better.
    And the re-poster didn't report back after that.
    Last edited by Rabies010; 09-25-2012 at 08:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Honeybadger View Post
    I may be visiting him in the next few months and was wondering where these parks are located and are they "doable" from Reston, VA. As best I can tell, Fountainhead is the closest techy trail area to Reston? I can easily run mapquest but I know that traffic down there is a killer and it could throw off the time considerably although I would be there on the weekend so that should help somewhat. I ride a fatty 907 in northeast PA and love rooty, rocky terrain. Thanks,
    While not technical, if you're pressed for time you can do the Glade to Great Falls ride... lots of creek crossings. It's been close to a decade since I've been out there, but I'm certain the trail is still there. It goes around lake fairfax and there are a ton of feeder trails to play around on. Used to start by the Reston Ice Rink on Michael Faraday Ct and went out to Great Falls Ntl Park... good after work ride right out your door.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob View Post
    ...Used to start by the Reston Ice Rink on Michael Faraday Ct and went out to Great Falls Ntl Park... good after work ride right out your door.
    Thanks for reminding me Bob. Yes, there is a great set of trails that start from the Reston Ice Rink. Look up Lake Fairfax here:
    Trails | MORE-MTB

Few tech features, but great swoopy, speedy trails with punches of up and downs. Lots of folks show up for a Wednesday night ride at the ice rink.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Let's not bugger up the guys thread. Velo can handle things any way he wants. I'm more direct. I quoted the entire post including the pics. Then I though why bugger up the thread re posting the pics so i omitted them. I had and have no pictures to post here. Yup that thread last year was an embarrassment. Wished I had been in a better frame of mind. I'm not butt hurt someone posted an old pic and called it crap. I just immensely dislike people with an attitude and sometimes it takes an attitude to put them in their place. No I'm not the internet police but I don't back down over the internet on in real life. Ya gotta kill me first

Anyway like I said sorry for the intrusion.....and everyone have a really nice day

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm suba View Post
    Let's not bugger up the guys thread. Velo can handle things any way he wants. I'm more direct...
    I'll derail the thread a wee bit more (sorry drevil )

I feel pity for guys like that poster. He obviously sees mountainbiking as a fashion thing, and obviously has never really ventured anywhere where the utility of the bike is paramount. Anything different challenges his tiny brain.

It has always been so, back in my youth I had a handbuilt Nervex Pro lugged frame but equipped it with steel rims, full mudguards, and the fattest tyres I could get back then (about 1.5") because I used to ride the mountain singletrack passes on it. It attracted a lot of scorn from the club riders, which upset me back then until I realised that their fashionable bikes never went off a smooth road. After that I just felt sorry for them because their "coolness" meant they never experienced the best of biking.

At least in those days there were lots of wiry old timers still riding fixed, so my choice of single speed wasn't regarded as too odd.

Sadly you'll see these fashion victims putting negative remarks in any thread where anything different is discussed - the recent Cleland thread in the 29er forum being a good example. I suppose you could give him negative reputation if you think it's worth the bother. What I like about the fatbike forum is we don't get many negative types here, there's a lot of innovators and experimentation.

Back to this thread.

It's great seeing what the more skilled riders can do with their fatbikes. One of these days I'll get my wheels off the ground - deliberately, that is.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Nemophilist
    Hey... I know...

Lets have a thread about Fatbike riding. Techy sorta riding. I'll play.

Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I'll derail the thread a wee bit more (sorry drevil )

I feel pity for guys like that poster. He obviously sees mountainbiking as a fashion thing, and obviously has never really ventured anywhere where the utility of the bike is paramount. Anything different challenges his tiny brain.

It has always been so, back in my youth I had a handbuilt Nervex Pro lugged frame but equipped it with steel rims, full mudguards, and the fattest tyres I could get back then (about 1.5") because I used to ride the mountain singletrack passes on it. It attracted a lot of scorn from the club riders, which upset me back then until I realised that their fashionable bikes never went off a smooth road. After that I just felt sorry for them because their "coolness" meant they never experienced the best of biking.

At least in those days there were lots of wiry old timers still riding fixed, so my choice of single speed wasn't regarded as too odd.

Sadly you'll see these fashion victims putting negative remarks in any thread where anything different is discussed - the recent Cleland thread in the 29er forum being a good example. I suppose you could give him negative reputation if you think it's worth the bother. What I like about the fatbike forum is we don't get many negative types here, there's a lot of innovators and experimentation.

Back to this thread.

It's great seeing what the more skilled riders can do with their fatbikes. One of these days I'll get my wheels off the ground - deliberately, that is.
    Rep-worthy!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Hey... I know...

Lets have a thread about Fatbike riding. Techy sorta riding. I'll play.

Dude you have to tell me about this technique about hovering over two wheels with your mind.

...Oh there's a bike there!
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Nemophilist
    Yaah, sure;

Cammo Rocks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Getting some air on Aunt Flow in Mastihito and playing in the stamp sand dunes. not the best quality as the only camera I ever remember to bring is my phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Bike Air and Action Shots on Tech Terrain-fat-bike-air.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I just got my first fatbike a few days ago, a surly necromancer pugsley. I took a 20 inch frame to be on the save side regarding the front tyre and shoe clearance. First impression was that it was the greatest ever bike on gravel. But then wow, it can also ride stairs very well: Surly Necromancer Pugsley fatbike - YouTube

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by marko View Post
    I just got my first fatbike a few days ago, a surly necromancer pugsley. I took a 20 inch frame to be on the save side regarding the front tyre and shoe clearance. First impression was that it was the greatest ever bike on gravel. But then wow, it can also ride stairs very well: Surly Necromancer Pugsley fatbike - YouTube
    Dude, you got skillz.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast