Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

FAT 26" tires on a 29er for snow?

Not sure this is the best forum for this, but hopefully someone has tried this. Has anyone tried really fat 26" tires on their 29er for winter riding? This will of course depend a lot on your frame and fork, but what are the fattest tires that would fit? I did some measuring, and don't think an Endomorph will fit in the rear, but maybe a Gazza 3.0? I have a Pace fork on the front, and the width measures about 95mm. I understand the endomorph measured 94mm mounted to a large marge rim, but what if it were mounted on a narrower rim, would if fit? Since the Endo is very expensive, I thought I would check here first to see if anyone has tried it. I have seen pictures of an Endo in a Bontrager switchblade fork, but not sure what rim it was mounted on. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    Not sure this is the best forum for this, but hopefully someone has tried this. Has anyone tried really fat 26" tires on their 29er for winter riding? This will of course depend a lot on your frame and fork, but what are the fattest tires that would fit? I did some measuring, and don't think an Endomorph will fit in the rear, but maybe a Gazza 3.0? I have a Pace fork on the front, and the width measures about 95mm. I understand the endomorph measured 94mm mounted to a large marge rim, but what if it were mounted on a narrower rim, would if fit? Since the Endo is very expensive, I thought I would check here first to see if anyone has tried it. I have seen pictures of an Endo in a Bontrager switchblade fork, but not sure what rim it was mounted on. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark
    I'll try to dig it up, but someone put fat 26" tires on their 29er Black Sheep. Looked friggin' cool. The guy's name was "bee" something or other, and I think he's in Wyoming if that's any help

Not quite, but semi-related:
    *Almost* a 29er...
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

In FTF We Trust
    Two problems with a 3.0" Gazzalodi on the rear of a 29er: 1) they're not available any more; 2) you may have the height but not the width. A 3" wide 26" tire is still 3" wide, and not in the right place - most frames have some clearance worked into the chainstays, but if you put 26" wheel in the frame the tire would likely be it's fattest where the chainstays start to "swoop back in" for lack of better terms.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies guys. Drevil, I think I remember that post as well, but can't remember if that frame was designed with those tires in mind or not. Also some interesting discussions on the thread you linked to, although pretty old already.

el-cid: I've got the first problem solved! A used 3.0 Gazza is on it's way to me right now. I did a little measuring on my frame, and it may work. I would also not have a problem trimming some knobs if it was close. If it does not fit on the back, I will put it up front, where it should fit no problem. If the Gazza does not fit in the back I am thinking about a WTB Timberwolf race 2.7, also not in production anymore, but they can still be found relatively easily, also MUCH lighter than a Gazza. Also, how would these tires (and the Endomorph) deal with a Sun Rhyno lite rim (which I have sitting in the basement)?

I guess the question them becomes, would this setup be better than a set of 29er wheels with WW 2.55s?

So many question!

Mark

conjoinicorned
    I guess the question them becomes, would this setup be better than a set of 29er wheels with WW 2.55s?
    i run some 3" tires on my 26er in the snow. it works pretty good...FWIW i'm running sunn singletracks (pretty similar to rhynolites) and the tires fit fine...if hard to get on and off. this bike is great in nice deep fluffy powder.

but for most other snow conditions (slush, icy, hardpack etc.) i prefer my 29er with rampages or exiwolfs (i like exi's in the snow).
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    A local shop owner used 2.7 Big Earls on his Rig.
    I think it looks pretty cool!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I've been toying with some ideas that's along the same lines as yours...I planned on getting some Large Marge rims, slapping a 3" tire on it and seeing if it would fit on my 575. Might try my RIP9 as well...didn't really think of that.

I've also got some 38mm wide Kris Holm 29" unicycle rims and WTB Exi's on the way to see how that works on the RIP9.

Edit: The tires are WW's, not Exi's. Stupid fingers...
    Last edited by Rotmilky; 11-27-2007 at 04:43 PM.

mtbr member
    My friend Joe (dosboy) had a 1x1 frame and fork w/ Large Marge rims and Gazzi 3.0's. They fit fine. He decided to get rid of that make his BlackSheep 29er a snowbike in winter. He ran a Puggs fork and the LM rim and an Endo tire in front w/ a LM rim and WTB Timberwolf Race (2.7?) tire in the back. I think the Gazzi would have fit with some trimming, but it would have been tight. PM him and I'm sure he'll answer any questions you have.

I just built up a fairly a cheap snowbike w/ a 1x1 frame w/ a Puggs fork and LM rims and Endo front tire and a Serfas 3.0 rear tire. I'm in Utah and we still don't have any snow....figures.

highly visible
    I ran a 3.0 (Arrow Prime Wide) in my KM's fork for a while, and have also run the Gazzaloddi 3.0 in it. Both fit with plenty of clearance. Anything but an Endomorph will fit just fine.

I'm not sure a 26x3.0 would be a better choice than a 29x2.4 though. It's not an Endomorph by any stretch. And even if the overall diameter is the same, the tire compresses as it rolls, reducing the 26x3.0's effective diameter more than the 29x2.4's -- it seems to help a lot to have a bigger hoop inside. I've been amazed at being able to ride packed snowmobile trails (even when wet and slushy) on my skinny 700x45 Hakkapeliitta. Not as good as a super-fat 26"er, but close enough that I'd put my money on the semi-fat 29"er.

Assuming enough volume is available to run low pressure, both tires will have the same contact patch and the same flotation while standing still. But the 29"er will have a longer contact patch, which translates to better tracking, less effort to push through the snow, and ultimately better flotation while moving.

All that said, you've got the tire on the way already. Give it a try and let us know how it works out.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

tiny rider
    SlowerThanSnot has set up his Blacksheep with a Surly fork up front, and put on a fat rim with a shaved 26" DH tire in the rear:

Maybe one of you could make out the actual tire choice from the full res image (http://gearspeak.com/~cartographer/m...7/PA190305.jpg)

We weren't in more than a spot of snow, though, so I don't know how well it floats in the deep stuff.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the ideas and comments, there are much appreciated. It seems to me that the right tire combo is going to depend alot on the actual snow conditions. As I said, I already have the Gazza on the way, and I have a set of 26" SS wheels sitting in the basement, so I am going to see what will work. Of course we don't have any snow yet anyway, so no big rush!

Mark

mtbr member
    My Gazzaliddi 3.0 finally arrived, and it is a beast! Weight: 1580g. I mounted it to my Rhyno Lite front wheel (after a broken tire lever) and pumped it up to 20psi, and it fits perfectly in my Pace fork. There is at least 10mm of clearance on each side, so even with a wider rim it should fit no problem. There was no way I was going to take the tire off the front wheel to mount it on the back, so I just put a long skewer in the front hub and dropped it on the back of the bike. The tire buzzes the chainstays a bit, but can still be rotated. With some knob shaving, I think it would work OK. I also have a Timberwolf 2.7 I could use on the back, but I would really like to get a bigger tire on the back as well. Sorry, no pictures yet.

So now I need to find another Gazza 3.0 tire! Or maybe something else? I have seen an Arrow Savage 26x3.0 on the internet and a Duro Racing Leopard 26x3.0 tire at a unicycle website. Both are around $50.00.

Mark

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    I'll try to dig it up, but someone put fat 26" tires on their 29er Black Sheep. Looked friggin' cool. The guy's name was "bee" something or other, and I think he's in Wyoming if that's any help

Not quite, but semi-related:
    *Almost* a 29er...
    A little late, but I knew he had "bee" in his name: Helibee! This post is from almost two years ago.

"Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I asked James to build the Sheep with clearance for 29x2.5, and the Gazz 3.0 fit as a bonus. The bike has changed form somewhat, and I now have a dedicated winter bike as pic'd. Definitely very fun and I encourage the effort! Merry Christmas!
    Attached Images Attached Images

is buachail foighneach me
    i just ordered up a pair of the duro tires. you all have inspired me. now which rims do i use? alex dx32? large marge? anyone know where i can find some snowcats in 32 hole?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

mtbr member
    Is that an IRO Jamie Roy?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    No, an IRO Mia, which is no longer available. I contacted Tony in May or June to see if he had anymore, which he did at the time. Frame and fork for $150 shipped. He may have more.... A great backup/loaner bike which will handle 29" wheels, as well as the meats pictured. I think it would take Endomorphs too!

Stayin' Puft

try some trials rims

Sean, check out Echo, Viz, or Try-All brands of trials rims in 26" diameter. They look just like a Snow Cat extra-light version with all the drillings.

I just ordered a built-up set from webcyclery.com with the Echo's...looking forward to their arrival. I spec'd the 46mm wide "rear" rim version for both front and rear wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    being able to ride in the snow has much more to do with the diameter of the wheel, not so much the width of the tire. I have ridden Exi's in snow when my riding partners were riding 2.6" 26" tires and I rode away from them. they couldn't even go 5 feet, I could ride no problem.

Stayin' Puft
    Hmm... alot of variables there. Snow type, depth, pack, temperature. 26" friend's tire tread, pressure, rim width. Ability. ;-) Maybe you are just a snow-riding stud... Or maybe you should get over on the Alaska forum and tell all the Fat-Bike folks that they have been misled...:-)

Here is some good info explaining why wide rims work well in snow, it is not all about fitting a wider tire:
    http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/rims.htm

I would agree that 29ers are pretty darn good in snow on their own as long as the snow is not too deep. I have 2.2 Nevegal's on 29mm wide Salsa rims and in some ways they perform as well as my 26x2.7" tires. But when the snow gets really deep and you need to float on a crust or churned-up powder, wide really helps. I am looking forward to the 29x35mm Salsa Gordo rim for next season, and the next generation of 29" wider tires like the Schwalbe 29x2.4's that just came out. Ultimately I think the longer contact patch of the 29" wheel will be superior in all conditions once the rim/tire width choices improve.

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by funkenstein
    being able to ride in the snow has much more to do with the diameter of the wheel, not so much the width of the tire. I have ridden Exi's in snow when my riding partners were riding 2.6" 26" tires and I rode away from them. they couldn't even go 5 feet, I could ride no problem.
    Just remember that the wider the tire, the more diameter you will get from bulging. I've seem remarks that a full pugsley with large marge rims and 3.7" tires will put a 29er with Weirwolfs to shame in deep snow.

is buachail foighneach me
    for those interested in visual aides.

my duro 26 x 3 tires came today, and i mounted them up to an old set of wheels i have laying around with 32mm azonic hoops on them. i will have to rebuild the wheels for them to be functional, as they're non-disc, but i mounted the front on my karate monkey and took some photos to see what the differences actually are.

km with ww 29 x 2.55 front and rear:

km with ww2.55 rear and 26 x 3 front. the 26 x 3 is somewhere in between a 26 x 2.3 and the 29 x 2.55 in diameter. probably about a 650b size in actuality.

2.55(measures 2.4ish) ww on 28mm rim left, 3" duro on 32mm rim right:

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    my duro 26 x 3 tires came today, and i mounted them up to an old set of wheels i have laying around with 32mm azonic hoops on them.
    Zowie! And then mount them on Echo rims as suggested by canyonrat!

Hmmmm. How much clearance [SIZE="4"]does[/SIZE] my Inbred have..........

I have no snow in central coastal CA, but we have sand,,,,,,,,
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    2.55(measures 2.4ish) ww on 28mm rim left, 3" duro on 32mm rim right:
    Wow, that's an eyeopener. It's also interesting to see the WWs on a 28mm rim. Here's a comparison of a WTB Motoraptor on 18mm rims (Mavic 719) with the WW on 38mm rims (KHolm). Tread looks much less aggressive on the KH rim than on your 28mm rim.
    Wide tires.jpg

FWIW, the WW sidewall width measures 2.5" on the KH rims with the knob spacing coming in at 2.4"
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast