Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Fast/fat.

  1. #1
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,168

    Fast/fat.



    Fun to watch, but leaves me wondering how much faster and smoother he would have been on even a 4" travel 29" fs bike?

    Not to mention how many fewer flats/burps he would have had with proper tubeless wheels and tires?

  2. #2
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,202
    never mind I got it.
    And I love beer!!

  3. #3
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Reputation: alphazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,479
    Did it say something about him having problems with "flats/burps"?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bigwheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,943
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: damnitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,288
    ...sure MikeSee...but in all fairness, it should be a comparo of this vid vs same ride on a 29" HT...right?
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

  6. #6
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20,161
    I wouldn't do it simply because how fat bikes climb up berms/tight turns. Less than fun due to this. You can make anything look good in a vid, but I've had plenty of rides literally trying to pull the bike and keep it going fast in such situations, just not worth it when there's a good alternative.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,059
    my charge carves tight twisties more nimbly than any 29er i've owned in the last 12 years. just sayin.

    rog

  8. #8
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,911
    Regardless of speed, he looks to be having a good time. To me its obvious that if you're interested in turning in the fastest possible time, the fat bike is rarely the bike you want on just about any terrain except snow or sand. My mind on that will be changed the first time a fat bike wins a professional race in any discipline.

    The point of fat bikes is that they are fun bikes to ride, can you go fast on them? Yep. Can you catch air with them? Yep. Can you ride them on a downhill course? Yep. Can you ride one in an XC race? Yep. Will all of those be fun on a fat bike? Probably. Is it the fastest way to accomplish any of those? Probably not.

    I set a KOM last week on my FS 29er on a climb near here - nothing too serious, probably close to a mile of trail, mostly up with a little down mixed in, not technical at all. My 29er weighs almost the same as my Fatboy. Last night I gunned for that same segment on my Fatboy, I was well rested and rode as hard as I could (just like last week on the 29er). I was convinced I had set a new KOM, nope, the 29er is still faster.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    181
    What fork was that?
    Old guy in the woods

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Regardless of speed, he looks to be having a good time. To me its obvious that if you're interested in turning in the fastest possible time, the fat bike is rarely the bike you want on just about any terrain except snow or sand. My mind on that will be changed the first time a fat bike wins a professional race in any discipline.

    The point of fat bikes is that they are fun bikes to ride, can you go fast on them? Yep. Can you catch air with them? Yep. Can you ride them on a downhill course? Yep. Can you ride one in an XC race? Yep. Will all of those be fun on a fat bike? Probably. Is it the fastest way to accomplish any of those? Probably not.

    I set a KOM last week on my FS 29er on a climb near here - nothing too serious, probably close to a mile of trail, mostly up with a little down mixed in, not technical at all. My 29er weighs almost the same as my Fatboy. Last night I gunned for that same segment on my Fatboy, I was well rested and rode as hard as I could (just like last week on the 29er). I was convinced I had set a new KOM, nope, the 29er is still faster.
    i believe ned overend won a pro short track race on his fatbike. everyone else was on skinnies.

    rog

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coastkid71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,828
    Another angle to this film and debate is this film, which also shows that any bike can be ridden out of it`s intended use but there are better and (easier?) bikes to use

    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post


    Fun to watch, but leaves me wondering how much faster and smoother he would have been on even a 4" travel 29" fs bike?

    Not to mention how many fewer flats/burps he would have had with proper tubeless wheels and tires?
    Because if he was on a different bike it would not of helped create a viral video promoting the sale/interest of the bike in question. Also, how many videos of suspension bikes doing much more aggressive riding are out there.

    Cool video non-the-less.

  13. #13
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,168
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    Did it say something about him having problems with "flats/burps"?
    It didn't, I did.

  14. #14
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Reputation: alphazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,479
    Mike, I don't have flats or burps and I don't see why anyone would who sets their wheels up well. I know we've had this conversation before and it doesn't seem you have any confidence in tubeless setups but they can work very well with NO flats issues unless maybe one puts a one inch hole in the tire.

  15. #15
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,168
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    Mike, I don't have flats or burps and I don't see why anyone would who sets their wheels up well. I know we've had this conversation before and it doesn't seem you have any confidence in tubeless setups but they can work very well with NO flats issues unless maybe one puts a one inch hole in the tire.
    Not arguing that you've had great success with tubeless.

    The preamble to the video says, and I quote, "the Argon flat-out shreds in the bike park."

    And while I have no beef with that in theory, the fact of the matter is that fat tire makers have (largely) cow-towed to the gram counting crowd, such that every tire out there is anemic in the casing. Ride *any* anemic tire, of any width, hard, in difficult terrain, and you'll be shredding (<-nyuk) sidewalls fast, punching rocks through the casing, and yes, burping them in g-outs and hard corners. This isn't exclusive to fat, but it is exacerbated by the low psi's that fat tires benefit from.

Similar Threads

  1. How fast are you?
    By random walk in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2013, 09:51 AM
  2. How fast?
    By Chris M. in forum Commuting
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 10-17-2012, 05:27 PM
  3. need help fast
    By polecats03 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 12:50 PM
  4. How so fast?
    By BCTJ in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-21-2012, 08:47 PM
  5. That Was Fast!
    By norton55 in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 10:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •