mtbr member

Farley Questions: Clearance, Aluminum vs. Carbon, etc.

Getting the itch for a more modern fat bike, and the Farley platform looks pretty dialed. I've done a bit of reading here, but still have a few questions:

-Is there any difference in clearance between the carbon and aluminum in the 19.5" size? The Trek website indicates the 15.5"/17.5" alloy frames have less clearance then the larger sizes, but no suggestion that is an issue on the smaller carbon frames. Leaves me wondering if the larger carbon frames could possibly have better clearance than their aluminum counterparts.

-On that note, are Snowshoe XXL's on 100-105 mm rims a real possibility in the rear? Saw at least one guy mention running 'em, but can't remember if he specified how wide of a rim it was on.

-Seems like the carbon frame alone could be upwards of a pound and a half lighter than the aluminum, does that seem accurate? There was a weight posted on Youtube of an aluminum at 4.75 lbs. (with axle), so I guess if the carbon is coming in closer to 3 lbs. it could be that much.

-Anyone have any input re: ride quality between the two materials on this bike? Yeah, I know, big tires/low pressure mitigate that to a degree, but when you're hammering all out to keep it moving up an incline, or getting hammered by frozen footprints, laterally stiff yet vertically compliant sounds pretty good.

-Finally, anyone know what is going on with availability? Trek website shows out of stock online for virtually all the Farley's. Are they sold through for the year, or just a temporary shortage?

TIA!
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

Rocking on a Rocky
    80 mm rims for the 5.05 to fit the rear. 17.5" - 3.34 kg / 7.36 lbs Al frame and Al fork. 17.5" - 2.55 kg/5.63 lbs Carbon frame and carbon fork.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    80 mm rims for the 5.05 to fit the rear.
    Thanks, good to know. Seems like that would kind of defeat the purpose though? For me, the whole point in running 2XL's would be the ability to run ultra low pressure when warranted, and at those pressures seems like a 5.05 on 80mm rims would get pretty squirmy.

17.5" - 3.34 kg / 7.36 lbs Al frame and Al fork. 17.5" - 2.55 kg/5.63 lbs Carbon frame and carbon fork
    Ah, forgot those figures from the frameset pages on the Trek website. They seem high (which is an unusual thing to say about listed weights!), but at least give a good point of comparison. That is comparing an aluminum fork to a full carbon one though, so the difference in frame only might be more in the 1-1.25 lb. range?

I'm not counting grams, but in trying to decide if a carbon frame is worth an extra grand it's nice to know just what you're getting for the money.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e View Post
    Finally, anyone know what is going on with availability? Trek website shows out of stock online for virtually all the Farley's. Are they sold through for the year, or just a temporary shortage?
    I think fat bikes are enough of a specialty item that they only order one batch per season and when that's done, it's game over. Lead times plus shipping times from Taiwan are sufficiently long that if they run out in December, they probably won't be able to reload until March, after the buying season is over.

And let's face it, fat bikes appear to be a niche item, not unlike global explorer touring bikes, so they're not strategic for manufacturers to keep 'em in stock. They're not turning out to be the "everything bike" for a broad cross-section of the market. And people don't appear to be upgrading off the one fat bike that they own, like they do with road or mountain bikes.
    1980 Trek 614
    1980 Ritchey Everest custom MTB, serial #27
    2015 Trek Boone 5
    2015 Felt DD30 fatbike
    2016 S-Works Enduro

This place needs an enema
    I had a 19.5" carbon frame and fork (on loan) for a few weeks. I have 105mm rims with 2XL's on my personal bike, and tried to shoehorn them into the Farley. No way, not even with drops pulled back. Not even light contact -- it was full contact.

Ditto with the 17.5" alu frame/fork I have here now.

That said, the 2XL is such a niche thing -- fantastic if what you have is deep, dry, unconsolidated snow most of the time. And that *is* what we get most of the time -- which is why I have a bike dedicated to them. But they're a lot of work to push around on hardpack. I've done a dozen+ rides on firm-ish snow this winter, all on the B Fat Gnarwhals. They are fantastic. Haven't yet pulled my 2XL bike off the hook this year. Just the sort of winter we're having.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I had a 19.5" carbon frame and fork (on loan) for a few weeks. I have 105mm rims with 2XL's on my personal bike, and tried to shoehorn them into the Farley. No way, not even with drops pulled back. Not even light contact -- it was full contact.

That said, the 2XL is such a niche thing -- fantastic if what you have is deep, dry, unconsolidated snow most of the time. And that *is* what we get most of the time -- which is why I have a bike dedicated to them. But they're a lot of work to push around on hardpack. I've done a dozen+ rides on firm-ish snow this winter, all on the B Fat Gnarwhals. They are fantastic. Haven't yet pulled my 2XL bike off the hook this year. Just the sort of winter we're having.
    Mike, studded the Gnar’s on Nextie 60’s you built for me and man they move on the northeast freeze we’ve had this year.

If your not in the light n fluffy this is the way to go 😁

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

Thanks Mike, good info as always. BTW, know anyone in the market for a Rohloff equipped Black Sheep?

I'm very eager to try the Gnarwhals- if they don't give up much to Bud & Lou in terms of flotation and traction, they may well prove to be the "one tire to rule them all" for my winter riding. A true 5" tire like the 2XL is still intriguing though, and I'd be tempted to get a second wheelset to run them if the frame allowed. Would there be much point in running them on 80mm rims?

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e View Post
    Thanks Mike, good info as always. BTW, know anyone in the market for a Rohloff equipped Black Sheep?

I'm very eager to try the Gnarwhals- if they don't give up much to Bud & Lou in terms of flotation and traction, they may well prove to be the "one tire to rule them all" for my winter riding. A true 5" tire like the 2XL is still intriguing though, and I'd be tempted to get a second wheelset to run them if the frame allowed. Would there be much point in running them on 80mm rims?

I've written this in several other threads on emptybeer but I'll say it again: Gnarwhal doesn't give up any float to Bud/Lou that I can feel. Burly casing and big blocky knobs make it so. It's also within ~1mm of the overall casing width of Bud/Lou, but substantially taller.

But then you add in the ability to run it easy/bomber tubeless on Bontrager (and other) rims, as well as the ability to stud it ? Total no brainer.

I don't live in a place where we get to go "fast" with any regularity on snow. So I've never seen much point to Husker Du's or Dillingers or Jumbo Jims. Yes they are fast on hardpack -- but who cares if when things get soft or wind affected they don't hook up and make you walk?

I need a tire that is really good when conditions are really bad, and our conditions are bad or really bad like 85% of the time. So when it gets good for that 15% of the time, *every tire* feels fast/amazing! And then in a few minutes you're back to slogging...

Right now the tire that best solves that overall dilemma is the Gnarwhal.

I run my 2XL's on 105mm rims. Would like to have some 120mm rims but haven't been able to convince anyone to make them. Yet. Haven't tried them on 80's but I think rather than do that I'd just go with Bud/Lou on 105's. Which brings us back to where we started this...