mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Farley or Fatboy if price was the same?

For those of you that have rode both, which would you get if the price was the same? 2014 Farley and 2015 Fatboy are both at $2000 where I am at.

mtbr member

Farley or Fatboy if price was the same?

I have rode both bikes. Im much more comfortable on the Farley. I rode several different fatbikes in the last year before I decided what one I wanted. I preordered the 2015 Farley 6. I can't wait.

My current bike--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

mtbr member
    The one that fits best/rides best for you.

Seriously, there's no right answer.

The fatboy fits bigger tires, has 190 hubs. The Farley fits smaller tires, has 170 hubs.

Saw a fatboy at the shop, the tires looked ridiculously big, if that's a thing.

All fat, all the time.
    Ride each and pick best fit.
    If that's not an option, Trek just based off overall company they don't seem as sue happy as the big s.

giddy up!
    Definitely a Fatback.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    The one that fits best/rides best for you.

Seriously, there's no right answer.

The fatboy fits bigger tires, has 190 hubs. The Farley fits smaller tires, has 170 hubs.

Saw a fatboy at the shop, the tires looked ridiculously big, if that's a thing.
    Yeah that is why I asked in general, I can't ride both. I was basically asking basing it on components......because this is the place people will know!

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey View Post
    Definitely a Fatback.
    See that?? I say 907 for sure.
    I like turtles

banned
    Sep 2008
    The Farley 8 wins in the looks department, IMO.

rog

aka bOb
    The way I look at it (since I ride snow) is why limit myself to 4.0 tires? I don't mind a wider q and I have never hit a stay with my foot. The best thing is I can still put a 4.0 on my 190 frame if I want too but pretty tuff to put a 4.8 with full gears on a 170 frame. So the big question is what do you want out of this bike?

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Farley or Fatboy if price was the same?

I've not ridden either, but everyone that has ridden a Farley has raved about how well it handles and how "quick" it feels, and I bet the gen 2's are even better. I'm partial to trail handling characteristics rather than "Whoa, look at those huge tires!".

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have one of each and would much rather ride the Fatboy as an every day bike. It's a much more relaxed ride, easier on the back and wrists for sure as well as being a sh*tload more fun on fast descents and it's a rippin' good time in high speed corners too. It climbs like nothing I've ever owned before and is extremely competent and easy to control through the techy stuff.

The Farley is a blast too but different. It's like a little billy goat going up, you can hop it around and put it where you need it but you need to pick your line a little more carefully when the speed gets higher. It was probably the Knards but, confidence in the corners wasn't as high as I wanted it to be. I changed to Nates but only my wife and daughter have ridden it since. My daughter seemed to be happier with it so maybe that's all it needed.

Fat Boy rider
    I rode both 2014 Trex Farley & 2014 Fatboy. My local Trex shop won't carry that model, but will special order. When asked about when 2015 would arrive, they had no idea, and wouldn't guess estimate. No info on weight either. The bike shop around corner carries Specialized & had the 2015 in small. The Fat tires sold me, and the bike has solid build so I'm happy with it. Enjoy whatever you get

mtbr member
    I know I'm going to get two black eyes for asking lol and some may same do some research, plenty of threads on this topic. But I'll ask anyway....

Now that the 2016's are out and things have changed, what do the consensus say now about the two bikes? Specifically the Fatboy/Farley 5

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I test rode them both, and they felt very similar to me. I would have gone with the Farley though, as I don't really like Special Ed. But you really can't go wrong with either, both really nice. That said, I ended up with a Scott Big Jon for a few hundred dollars less and am really pleased with it.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    I bought a Fatboy SE last year and I've upgraded a lot of stuff and I'm very happy with it. However, given where the two bikes (standard Fatboy vs. Farley 5) are now, I'd take a hard look at the Farley 5. The carbon fork on the Fatboy is about the only advantage for the Fatboy at this point. Specs stack in favor of the Farley for 2016. You still gotta ridem and figure out which you like best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco taco View Post
    I know I'm going to get two black eyes for asking lol and some may same do some research, plenty of threads on this topic. But I'll ask anyway....

Now that the 2016's are out and things have changed, what do the consensus say now about the two bikes? Specifically the Fatboy/Farley 5
    Could you link the models?

mtbr member
    I think it would be hard to top the new 2016 Farleys, in terms of being awesome and value. To each his/her own, but objectively, Trek's fat bike game is strong.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I agree, when I bought a Fatboy a year and a half ago it was an easy decision as I needed bigger tires for my non groomed local trails and the older Farley's were limited in tire size.

It was a different story this year, when my wife wanted to get into the game. The Farley 7 was just too well set up to pass on, with 1X, a 150 front end, tubeless ready wheels that I've had to add to the Fatboy.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert