mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Farley EX 8 owners, do you like your bike?

I am relatively new to this sport and am looking for some help. I am 54 years old, strength train and also run. The running is taking a toll on me and so I started to MTB and love it! I am currently riding a 29+ bike but also want to ride in the winter and really don't want to have 2 bikes (adding a fat bike for the winter). The Farley EX 8 appears to have everything I would want for a year around bike. Is the EX 8 a good 4 season bike? I did a search and read some reviews but would like to hear from actual owners. Any help is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Firstly congrats on getting into and loving the greatest sport ever conceived. I have the 9.8 and it is my favorite bike. The only drawback to running it 4 seasons is the rear shock does not like extreme cold weather. I have ridden mine down to about -10C and have had no issues but would not be comfortable riding any colder than that. Hardtail fatty for those conditions. But if you dont live somewhere that gets that cold for months at a time it is a great 4 season bike. Summer months it is a beast and it handles pretty much everything ive thrown at it. I should also note that I have upgraded the fork to a charger damper and it totally transforms the bluto. The stock Hodag tires are great on everything except deep unpacked snow and ice.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Thanks, I was almost hoping you would say you hate it so I wouldn't think of ways to come up with the $$. The LBS has one in stock and my size and will take $500 off the price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I was 54 once.
    I wish I could be 54 again.
    You are the youngest you are ever going to be.
    Buy the damn bike and leave a worn out corpse.

A Surly Maverick
    Hi, I have literally just got one 4 days ago.

I have ridden full sus 29ers and full sus fatbikes......

The Farley is a great all rounder

Very comfortable, competent and confidence inspiring .

It is pretty light for a full fat bike. Mine is Xl and 35.8lbs stock.

Try one, I think you will like it
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I bought a Farley EX8 just yesterday. I was riding a Fatboy. Loved it, but put a Bluto on it to decrease the off-road jarring on my wrists. That worked so well, I became a suspension fan. I was thrilled by the decreased wrist jolts, but annoyed by the little hop from the rear wheel when hitting a root or something. LBS had a 15.5 Farley EX8 on the floor for $3000. I see one of the shops in the Twin Cities has one left for $2699, but that's two hours away and my local shop has pretty good customer service and good mechanics so I want to sustain that relationship. I test rode the Farley and found it noticeably more nimble than the Fatboy, and the addition of the rear suspension exceeded my expectations by quite a bit. I put about 15 miles on it last night after I got it home - mixture of railroad grade/gravel, grassy field, and a short jaunt along my favorite singletrack trail. Completely different experience...a really fantastic bike. The SRAM GX derailleurs are smoother and quicker than the X7 on the Fatboy, and the Avid brakes are FAR more precise than the Tektro Geminis. I was going to change out the stem, but the stock handlebar on the Farley is fatter, 35mm, than the 31.8 on my other bikes, so I either need to get a different stem, or take my riser bar and stem off the Fatboy and put them on the Farley. Still thinking about that one. Likewise, I can't get my Flux Elite light to mount since the mounting bracket is for a 31.8...another reason to consider swapping the stock Farley bar and Line 35 stem bar for the 31.8 riser bar and one of the 31.8 stems that I have.

Obviously I can't speak to riding in the snow yet, but this is Minnesota so I'm sure I'll get the chance some time soon.

The Fatboy is a 26 tire. The 27.5 on the Farely is cool, appears to roll well, but I do sit noticeably higher. The standover height isn't really any different than the Fatboy, but I found that when dismounting from straddling, I can't quite get my leg over the seat. I'm going to have to remember to drop the seat before trying that again.

My only issue is the KS dropper post. I like it more than I thought I would but I noted that it sags a little...when I extend it all the way up, then sit on it, it drops about an inch or two turning it into a kind of suspension post. The dealer warned me about cable routing - making sure there's enough slack in the cable but not too much - so I'll play with that a little. Reading online..the KS e30 Integra doesn't not get particularly high marks for reliability. We'll see.....hopefully just a new-bike adjustment thing.
    Last edited by Cuyuna; 1 Week Ago at 08:28 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post

My only issue is the KS dropper post. I like it more than I thought I would but I noted that it sags a little...when I extend it all the way up, then sit on it, it drops about an inch or two turning it into a kind of suspension post. The dealer warned me about cable routing - making sure there's enough slack in the cable but not too much - so I'll play with that a little. Reading online..the KS e30 Integra doesn't not get particularly high marks for reliability. We'll see.....hopefully just a new-bike adjustment thing.

I figured the dropper problem out. The EX8 has limited braze-ons for accessories...in fact it only has one pair on the down tube. I mounted a water bottle bracket there (since its' the only place to mount one) and noticed that it was encroaching on the two cables running down the tube. As it turns out, it was pinching the dropper post cable preventing it from closing down after activating. Removing the bracket from the down tube fixed the problem. I reinstalled the side-opening bottle bracket with a couple of nylon spacers and longer M5 bolts so that the bracket doesn't impinge on the dropper cable.

I also switched out my handlebars from the stock 35mm straight bar to a standard 31.8mm RaceFace riser bar and a stem/length with angle that puts the bars where I like them. Easy to do, of course, although it did leave me wondering why they chose 35mm for the stock bars, which certainly limits bike fitment and bar-mounted accessories.
    Last edited by Cuyuna; 1 Week Ago at 08:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's a great bike. You should be aware that it doesn't have the tire size capacity some fat bikes have. That's not a problem most of the time but if you really get into winter fat biking you might want 4 inch+ tires.

For the rest of the time the 27.5 Hodags make a surprisingly fine rolling tire for summer time.

My wife generally prefers those 27.5 Hodags but hates not having as much control as possible and there are fresh snow days or softer snow conditions when she wants to be on my bike with wider tread.

There are no rights or wrongs here. A friend has the Farley EX as an all around bike and an ultimate bike for his home trails that are best described as greased rock. He also has a basic rigid fattie with 4+ tires. My wife and I have a pair of fatties ideal for winter and fast trail bikes for summer.

If you do some searching you'll find formulas for bike ownership. The scientists usually conclude it's n + 1. My friend with the Farley EX was just proving that when he said he wants a fast bike with same OD tires as his Farley EX.

You don't need to be worried about MTB addiction like other types of addiction. Yes you have the monetary cost factor but all my either side of age 60 MTB addict friends are quite agile and happy. We don't have wrecked marriages or problems with law enforcement.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    It's a great bike. You should be aware that it doesn't have the tire size capacity some fat bikes have. That's not a problem most of the time but if you really get into winter fat biking you might want 4 inch+ tires.
    I have no experience with this EX8 in the winter. Supposedly, however, the contact patch of a 27.5x4 is the same or greater than the contact patch of a 26x4.8. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it's an interesting hypothesis. I haven't seen any real-world reviews directly comparing the two for winter riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have no experience with this EX8 in the winter. Supposedly, however, the contact patch of a 27.5x4 is the same or greater than the contact patch of a 26x4.8. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it's an interesting hypothesis. I haven't seen any real-world reviews directly comparing the two for winter riding.

Psssstt.....that's a 27.5 X 4.5....not a 4
    And no where does it say which brand/models they are comparing

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Yeah, I don't know. I do suspect however that there's not that much difference in contact patch between 4 and 4.8. There likely is some, however, expecially at low pressures. I'll know better as soon as it snows here in Minnesota. Could be any day now....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

On well groomed and hard snow the 27.5 Hodags have it over our Farley with 26x3.8. That reverses when the snow is fresh.

I haven't tried Gnarwhals but know the Barbegazzi has it over Hodag in both sizes when it's soft.

I mostly want to make sure a new fat bike buyer knows a particular frame limit tire choices. We get by with one bike that way but I'll also choose to ski over bike when snow is fresh.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    I was 54 once.
    I wish I could be 54 again.
    You are the youngest you are ever going to be.
    Buy the damn bike and leave a worn out corpse.
    Excellent advise, bought the bike this afternoon and immediately put 10 miles on it on my local trails. This feels like I'm cheating compared to what I was riding, can't wait to get out tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who commented!
    Farley EX 8 owners, do you like your bike?-trek.jpg

mtbr member
    I've had my EX8 for almost a year and love it. It's far from stock now. Built up a set of light bicycle carbon rim(45mm id), 9 point 8 dropper, Manitou Mastodon fork, Next crankset, various other bits. It weighs 32 pounds and it's an XL frame.

Really love the Trek rear suspension and the Mastodon is worth every penny. Fork was buttery smooth right out of the box.

The Hodags on the carbon rims spin up good and don't feel draggy. I have a 29+ wheel set as well, but running those on my Farley hard tail tat the moment.

So to answer your question, hell yeah I love my EX8!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lphillips View Post
    I've had my EX8 for almost a year and love it. It's far from stock now. Built up a set of light bicycle carbon rim(45mm id), 9 point 8 dropper, Manitou Mastodon fork, Next crankset, various other bits. It weighs 32 pounds and it's an XL frame.

Really love the Trek rear suspension and the Mastodon is worth every penny. Fork was buttery smooth right out of the box.

The Hodags on the carbon rims spin up good and don't feel draggy. I have a 29+ wheel set as well, but running those on my Farley hard tail tat the moment.

So to answer your question, hell yeah I love my EX8!!

So I take it the compression knobs on the fork pass under the downtube on the EX 8.
    They hit on the EX 9.8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    So I take it the compression knobs on the fork pass under the downtube on the EX 8.
    They hit on the EX 9.8
    Yup, I have about 1/4" of clearance on my EX 8's Dow tube and Mastodon's compression knob.

Forgot to put into my reply to OP, I just turned 59 and the EX suspension is a blessing to these old bones!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    I mostly want to make sure a new fat bike buyer knows a particular frame limit tire choices. We get by with one bike that way but I'll also choose to ski over bike when snow is fresh.
    Would it be possible to put on a 26x4.8 wheelset?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Would it be possible to put on a 26x4.8 wheelset?
    Yes.....I test fitted Dillnger5s and Vee Snowsoe XLs on it. I did not try a 2XL in the rear...but I doubt it will fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    [QUOTE=lphillips;13288990]Yup, I have about 1/4" of clearance on my EX 8's Dow tube and Mastodon's compression knob.

Forgot to put into my reply to OP, I just turned 59 and the EX suspension is a blessing to these old bones!

Good to Know!!! I was worried about this. Want to put one on my EX8 before my trip to Moab UT this March.

Got my EX8 last Oct. Spent 2 weeks in Arkansas riding after I got it. Did the Womble Trail, Blowing Spring, Slaughter Pen Trail and Vista Trail down by Lake Ouachita. Had an absolute Hoot. Ride to work every day as well. 10 mile round trip. Very very happy with my EX8. So much so.....I want a 9Zero7 Rigid for racks and a trailer to camp off of. Never going back to a mountain bike. Looking very forward to Porcupine Rim in Moab come March.

For commuting, I run 15 psi front and rear. It rolls real nice like this. Trail, I go down to 8-10 psi. No snow in Kansas last year so no fun there.
    Changes so far is a set of 160 Carbon Renthal Fat Bars with a 40mm rise and a Brooks B17 seat.

Hayden.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I have a two mile road ride to get to my local trails, I run 20 psi and lockout the suspension, definitely can roll right along, for the trails 9 psi seems to work very well.