mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Farley 7 vs Fatboy

Bought a '16 Fatboy a few months ago, have been riding the hell out of it, love it.

just picked up a '16 Farley 7 very little use from a bike mechanic with tubeless so my son could join me riding for $1400. Just took it for a spin, what an incredible difference

brakes better
    shifts better
    rolls better
    better geometry
    faster

all I can say it's like a Lexus versus a Camry. Needless to say my son is getting the Fatboy

Happy Camper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Farley 7 vs Fatboy-img_0406.jpg  

mtbr member
    Good looking bike. What is the geometry you like better? I have been on a trek and shift was as smooth as it gets, but it felt a little big for me comparing the trek medium to my Salsa medium. I haven't been on a fatboy yet, but I have had my eye on an electric yellow pro with front squish and dropper. Now I want to hear more of what you don't like about the fatboy. Save me some money.

edit: I just looked up the stats of each. The Farley has a 440mm chainstay and 69 degree head tube angle, that would make it better for trails over the fatboy with 455mm chainstay and 70.5 head tube angle. My current Salsa is 440 and 69.5 so going fatboy would seem less sporty then my current ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Didn't bring my slideruler out for the ride so all I can tell you is ride each bike and you'll experience the different feel that I did. The Farley just feel faster and smoother on the rocky, stumpy inclines here in MA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcoukos View Post
    Didn't bring my slideruler
    Man, you just gave me a flashback of my Catholic elementary school. The sliderule was my best friend and the wooden ruler was my knuckles enemy.

As far as wondering what geo felt better to you, I was wondering if there was a specific feel you were talking about, but now I understand it is just a feel/preference thing. I felt the same when I went from Framed to Salsa, I didn't what made it feel better, it just did.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Can't really explain it other than I climbed stuff I walked and rode down stuff I walked on the Fatboy.

Guess it's like Keds sneakers, I ran faster and jumped higher. Crisper, cleaner, tighter feel.

My condolences with your Catholic school experience. LOL!

mtbr member
    I went from a Fatboy to a Farley and completely agree with you on the geometry and feel of the bike. Sounds like I probably ride the same trails as you so the Farley definitely makes sense around here.

I will say though that I have real soft spot for the fatboy as it was my first fatbike. You never forget your first.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm in the process of moving my farkles from the Fatboy to the Farley, it's a keeper.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I spent a lot of time looking at both the Fatboy and the Farley and rode them both. Pretty clear to me that the Farley was the better bike for me. I like the 27.5" rim format especially with the new 27.5x4.5" tire in the snow and sand. Also seemed to be snappier handling too.

J.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Interesting to see how "bike feel" is different for folks. I traded with a guy on a ride last year...His Farley for my Fatboy. I couldn't wait to give the Farley back. Did not like the Farley at all and how it rode.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    When u realize the number of variables involved in each bikes setup then it's quite understandable why they would feel so differently

mtbr member
    I'm gonna have to give one a ride. I'm gonna be shopping for a new fatty soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have a Fatboy and my wife has a Farley. The Farley is much more twitchy than the Fatboy, even with the wheel moved back in the dropouts. Personal preference is very important here- a good reason to test ride as many as you can before you buy. I'm guessing some like a bike that turns itself, but I'd rather have something that tracks straight when going through loose terrain.

My buddy has a 2017 Fatboy and it seems a bit quicker handling than my '15, but not quite as quick as the Farley. Maybe a Goldilocks bike?
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    I will be honest and preface this with I have not ridden a Fatboy before. (that sure doesn't sound right!) I do own a 2017 Farley7 and love it! It is quick and aggressive straight out of the box. I love the way it handles,is very snappy. It has been a lot of fun. I have put a Bluto and a set of 27.5 Jackalopes with 3.8 Hodags on for the dry. The bike got fast real quick. I kept the 26 Mulefut with the Barbi's on them for the wet and snow. This bike is my favorite in my stable. If I could only keep 1 bike this would be it! I think it is just exciting to ride. To each his own.

2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6