Chris Bling

Listen! External or Internal BB

Just wondering what you prefer. Internal BB or the External Cups.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Fat & Single
    At the moment i am avoiding anything but regular english BB standard (BSA threaded), had pressfit on my Pivot 429 and luckily they caused no issues, i like to have some back up spares and really CBF'd with all the BB bull$hit. Why does everyone need to make their own size ? I understand going out with a new "standard" for performance tweaks even if some of us think its negligible but BB's are getting out of control.

Conventional threaded
    BB90/BB95
    PF86/92
    BB30
    PF30
    BBright
    BB386 EVO

Bottom Bracket Types - Your Complete Guide To Threaded, BB30, BB90, BB95, BB386 EVO, BBright, PF86 And PF92 - BikeRadar

Gone stoopid IMO !
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

nothing to see here
    Square taper all the way if possible. They just seem to handle poor conditions better IMO.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Threaded external cups.. just not those pressfit BS please....
    Have a tendency to strip down bikes frequently - external bb makes things easier and keeping bearings alive with periodic regreasing.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    At the moment i am avoiding anything but regular english BB standard (BSA threaded), had pressfit on my Pivot 429 and luckily they caused no issues, i like to have some back up spares and really CBF'd with all the BB bull$hit. Why does everyone need to make their own size ? I understand going out with a new "standard" for performance tweaks even if some of us think its negligible but BB's are getting out of control.

Conventional threaded
    BB90/BB95
    PF86/92
    BB30
    PF30
    BBright
    BB386 EVO

Bottom Bracket Types - Your Complete Guide To Threaded, BB30, BB90, BB95, BB386 EVO, BBright, PF86 And PF92 - BikeRadar

Gone stoopid IMO !
    bicycle "engineers" needs to work.. can't sit around all day and not innovate to some degree.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    bicycle "engineers" needs to work.. can't sit around all day and not innovate to some degree.
    So that's the issue! They just sit around all day instead of riding, and thus discovering what works and doesn't.

I knew this fattening of America would lead to bad things.

Agreed, external if you must, high quality square taper if you just want to be done with it.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Fat & Single
    Im using SKF ISIS BB's on 2 bikes and regular hollowtech style external on the other 2, they are all the same BB threads, i can unscrew the ISIS and fit an external in minuets, simplicity.

You look at a frame these days and there a big fu#%in gaping hole where the BB is meant to go... its like, WTF goes in that hole ? .... "oh that would be press fit 30"
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    I think most everyone is off coarse here, this is the Fat forum and to my knowledge (which is limited btw) there is no bb30 pf30 bb95 etc. It basically depends what crank you want to use, most are using external like the Surly, Raceface, and FSA but there are a few internal like some of the Truvative (junk bb) and the Middleburn which you could use a Phil Woods BB and is pretty kick a$$$$. You can still find a few ISIS bb's as well but in the end the Phil would be the only internal I would go with.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    What I'd like to see is an oversized external BB with large loose balls and an ISIS spindle.

Easy and dirt cheap to fix, and there's nought wrong with the ISIS interface IMO.

Meanwhile I'm using ISIS and square taper on my fatbikes.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Chris Bling
    Heaven help the day that the new fatbtike standard is bb30 . I am currently in a spot where I either need to replace my current isis bb or pony up and spend some coin on a nicer external threaded cup bb/crank combo. 36 bucks for the fsa platinum dh bb or 200 for the race face turbine cranks bb....
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Nemophilist
    To repeat myself;

I hated ISIS when it was what there was to have. Went through 1 a year, no matter the "quality level." I thought Ex-bearing was a godsend. Easy to work on and trouble free to a much larger degree. I've had Truvative Gigas on both of my Fatties because I've so far resisted the lure of $3-400 crank sets,... and not a lick of trouble with them. Frankly, I'm surprised. They seem to work just fine so far. I know I'm due for a service, but these can be knocked apart and new bearings installed easily. Cheap makes me happy. Works is a bonus!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Fat & Single
    The SKF ISIS BB's have a 10yr guarantee, run on roller bearings... IMO the sweetest BB on the planet.

Im SKF ISIS/Middleburns on two, If they did them in 100mm wide i would have had one on my fatty too instead of middleburn x-type.

BTW i went through 3 in 1 year, 1 x CB's and 2 x FSA platinum, then splashed out on the SKF, now been about 4 years on one and 2-3yrs on the other. The are a bit exy but worth the extra for the no hassle riding.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    so far resisted the lure of $3-400 crank sets
    I would nearly jump the fence for these wee hunnies ! might need to revise the dollar figure up a bit too.

Next Gen Race Face Next SL Crankset Unveiled, 495 Grams All In ? Plus Wheels!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails External or Internal BB-2014-race-face-next-sl-carbon-cranksets04-600x398.jpg  

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    My Pugs is rolling on a Phil Wood internal BB and it's been really low maintenance given the conditions the bike has seen. I wouldn't be in any hurry to put an external BB on that bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    My Pugs is rolling on a Phil Wood internal BB and it's been really low maintenance given the conditions the bike has seen. I wouldn't be in any hurry to put an external BB on that bike.
    Anyone know if it's possible to use a Phil Wood on a Moonlander?
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

Chris Bling
    To repeat myself;

I hated ISIS when it was what there was to have. Went through 1 a year, no matter the "quality level." I thought Ex-bearing was a godsend. Easy to work on and trouble free to a much larger degree. I've had Truvative Gigas on both of my Fatties because I've so far resisted the lure of $3-400 crank sets,... and not a lick of trouble with them. Frankly, I'm surprised. They seem to work just fine so far. I know I'm due for a service, but these can be knocked apart and new bearings installed easily. Cheap makes me happy. Works is a bonus!
    Would you approve of these?

Universal Cycles -- Race Face Ride Fat Bike Crank Arms - 100mm BB Included
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    its too bad phil doesnt make an isis bb. From what I have read, any isis that fits a Fatty has a relatively short life expectancy.....
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Nemophilist
    Ummm...

If I read all of that correctly, wow... that's a great deal. Probably not the lightest fanciest shazzamy set of cranks out there, but... I don't spend much time worrying about my cranks as long as they WORK. I might be temped to say it is ever-so-slightly cheezy that they don't come with rings - add $30-40 - but... still seems like a deal I would look at seriously, and ex-bearing no less.

Did I mention that I am a crankset cheapskate?

Like I said, I not only read about but have lived the ISIS annoyance and failure lifestyle. However, the ones on the fatties are trending the opposite for me... so far.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Dirt Huffer
    I just want some god damn teflon sealed bearings for the e13 Hive BB. Who's the idiot who designed this crap

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The Specialized Fatboy has a PF30 BB. I've had issues with the PF30 setup on my All-City Mr. Pink, and hate all the possible adapters. I prefer a threaded shell!

I have not had issues with my ISIS Howitzer BB on my fat bike though, and that's with 3 years of hard riding with zero maintenance.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    BB30 was a nightmare due to the machining tolerances of the BB shell. If not reamed properly, there would be too much static load on the bearings, and they would not last long. However, PF30, with the pressed in fiber cups work very well, we use it on thousands of bikes every year. Biggest issue is creaking, but that is a matter of greasing the alloy spindle properly. Dry aluminum fretting on dry aluminum will creak (like crazy).
    As mentioned above, Specialized will use PF30 when their Mk1 bikes come out.
    For our MK3 bikes, we have developed a 100mm PF30 crankset with Samox. The weight saving of the alloy axle is even bigger on a fatbike than a regular MTB, naturally.
    Another advantage is that the chainline is real easy to tune. Since the bearings are inboard, we run a 12mm (approx) spacers where the GXP type setups have bearings. That makes it super easy to add/subtract spacers on each side for the perfect chainline. We use a spring washer (like f.ex. FSA do on their road cranks) instead of the clumsy and heavy preload nuts often seen on BB30/PF30.

External or Internal BB-pf30.jpg
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    How wide are those asym drilled rims?

Elitest thrill junkie
    To repeat myself;

The backstory on that is that shimano patented their octalink splined BB with two outboard bearings and two inboard needle-bearings, allowing for a very durable BB and compact shape. To "compete", the manufacturers that would be later known for ISIS got together and came up with an idea that also used a splined axle, but they didn't have enough space to really put bearings in there, and so started the repeating game of replacing ISIS BBs/bearings. Much later, Tuvativ and others "gave up" and made the ISIS BB into a pseudo-external BB setup with quad bearings, weighed around a pound, but totally solved the problems of the ISIS setup. I had a howitzer BB on two DH bikes in the last few years and never had any problem, but that's kind of what it took to beat that original octalink BB. Of course the octalink didn't last and we moved to much bigger bearings in general that could better deal with the loads, but PF/BB30 seems to be a step back, as the bearings really aren't in there as solidly and there are just too many "loose" parts to eliminate creaking. Press-fits are usually a bad idea, as removing and resetting them wears the interface, so if you get creaking or have to rebuild the bearings often (like I do in the summer environment we have) it makes the problem worse and worse, because more play will lead to even shorter bearing life, etc, more worn surfaces, etc.

Unfortunately, because of the proliferation of carbon bikes, I think BB30 will survive for quite some time, but eventually shimano will come up with a more bullet-proof system/BB for it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    I just want some god damn teflon sealed bearings for the e13 Hive BB. Who's the idiot who designed this crap
    The bearings in my e13 BB (XCX crank) appear to be sealed just fine, and I've got close to 2K miles on them with no problems. Maybe they changed the design? Also, have you seen these? EXTERNAL CUP BB30 BOTTOM BRACKET FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING
    Kinda pricey, but at least there's an alternative.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    How wide are those asym drilled rims?
    103mm
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee