mtbr member

Examples of Fatbike access on Nordic trails and/or snowshoe trails.

I'm looking for some help to compile a short list of nordic centres where fatbiking has been permitted in the Canada/US.

I know Hardwood Hills in Ontario is allowing access in the evenings during the week on certain trails. What else is out there?

mtbr member
    Targhee Resort in Wyoming has opened their Nordic Trials to bikes.

It seems to be working out really well. Hopefully once other areas see how little impact fatbikes have on trails and how they are just as safe as skis, we'll see more nordic programs allow bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Examples of Fatbike access on Nordic trails and/or snowshoe trails.-nordic_trail_map.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Bike Marquette | Road and Mountain Biking in the Upper Peninsula

Marquette Michigan allows fatbikes on some of the nordic trails (the ones that are dog friendly). They also have a great approximately 10 mile loop of groomed single track that is a blast to ride.

mtbr member
    Kingdom Trails allows fatbiking on their nordic trails when conditions permit.
    That being said, the singletrack is better.

Winter Bike ( Snow Bike) Trails : Kingdom Trails Association
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Great thread. Keep the locations, (with links if possible) coming guys. This will be good information and help when approaching local ski operations in my area this summer about possible access.
    The attitude toward fat bikes in my area is very "single minded" and I'm going to need all the help I can get.
    2010 Intense Spider 2
    2010 Ibis Tranny SS
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2
    2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
    2013 Trek Domane 5.2
    2014 Hakkalugi

mtbr member
    I wonder if Great Brook Farm in Massachusetts allows them on the XC ski trails. I'll post in the Mass forum.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, keep the examples coming. I have a meeting tomorrow am with the "powers that be", and want to show some precedence for fatbikes on trails. It's just a preliminary discussion so far...

mtbr member
    Any of the multiuse trails in Anchorage, AK are open to everyone. In my experience this winter I've had no negative experiences with any of the other users....mainly skiers, runners, and other bikers. They are groomed by the Nordic ski club. However, there are many more miles of trails that are off limits to anyone but skiers and are also groomed by the nordic club. The basic rule in Anchorage is, "If you groom it you get to decide access." The folks who groom our single track trails have not limited access to exclude skiers. As far as damage to the groomed trails go, bikers and skiers do the least amount of damage while runners, walkers, snowshoers, and horses do the most amount of damage. I really hope that during this winter the Nordic club will realize just how little impact fat bikes have on "our" trails and decide to allow increased access in the future. Anyone want to groom 100+ miles of trails in anchorage and open access up?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    In Park City Utah the majority of the groomed trails are multi use and allow fatbikes. Many of these are bike paths in summer and are good as transportation corridors. The groomed trails in the Round Valley open space are some of the most popular. They have signs directing snowshoers onto singletracks. That helps to get the singletracks packed down really fast after it snows. That puts us onto singletracks and leaves the groomed trails mostly to the skiers. If only we could get some snow, This year has been almost as bad as last year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    White Pass Washington allows them after 3:30pm unless thin snow cover or other conditions dictate otherwise. Check in at the Nordic Yurt if possible before starting out. It's a very popular nordic trail system and just has too much ski traffic to fit the bikes in during the daytime. We can ride the whole 18k system after 3:30 though, and as we move into spring it makes for some great evening light/ sunsets.

mtbr member

Examples of Fatbike access on Nordic trails and/or snowshoe trails.

Can't forget Millstone in Barre, VT. They do nordic and fatbikes.
    http://millstonetrails.com/2012/12/1...er-mtn-biking/
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Chicken Creek Nordic Ski Area in Mancos Colorado doesn't ban them. It's not that they are permitted, it's that there are no rules about them yet. As long as we are courteous about snow conditions and to other users we should retain access. Purgatory Nordic center just put on a fat bike race and there is talk of the Nordic area at Mesa Verde NP allowing fat bikes soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Baker Regional Park in the Minneapolis metro area has a groomed trail that they allow many users on. It is open to hiking, snowshoeing, skijoring, skiing, and mtn biking. Funny thing is that it isn't used much even thought it is in a part of the metro with no single track trails nearby. No one wants to ride it, they think it is boring. Everyone around here is riding the mtn bike singletrack open for winter that we all pack in with snowshoes, fat bikes, and other assorted gear or they explore other areas not open to summer riding like frozen lakes, frozen creek beds, and parks with trails that no one uses in the winter. We are not allowed on any other groomed trail other than Baker, but no one cares since we have so much to ride anyway and we all seem to enjoy our singletack way more anyway.

I'd personally rather make the singletrack rideable rather than worry about riding cross country ski trails. Anyway, that is our experience in the Twin Cities metro.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The Al Quaal recreation area in Ishpeming Mi. Has their Nordic trails open for winter bikes.

mtbr member
    I live in Alberta. Anywhere there is space for skiers and bikes is ok and the snowshoe trails are fair game too. Lake Minneawanka, Goat Creek, Lake Louise and Bragg Creek are all good.

The only place that was not a good place to ride with Nordic Trails was the closed road off Lake Minneawanka , it's dedicated to skiers. We are blessed in Canada.

mtbr member
    This is the sort of partnership that is developing in AK

from Nordic Skiing Association of Anchorage FB
    Hello Racers, The AMH Anchorage Cup is not over! We have added a new race on March 10th, The Phat and Freestyle. This is a fat tire snow bike and freestyle ski duathlon, with solo or relay catagories. This race will be held at the biathlon stadium in Kincaid Park, start time is 12:00 p.m. This is a new race so your series fee does not include the entry fee for this race. More race details will be posted this week on the NSAA website, the ski hotline @ 248-6667 and here on Facebook. Cheers.
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?